Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 537 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4192Likes

post #16081 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The Last Rovi Update said last night and had an OK code, but it clearly isn't OK. So I just tried a guide refresh as a last resort before 135R, got the same [204] code you did, and seem to have lost my whole guide except PSIP data. Last Rovi Update still says last night; only the code changed, from OK to [204].

Based on Pachinko's report, I'd say its time for me to give in and go to 135R. Since I'm on 134R already, it's not as big a deal for me as it is for you.

Update: That seems to have done the trick, except for one anomaly: the time slot for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is showing as "Unknown Event" all next week, which means it's not going to get recorded unless this get corrected quick. Week 2 is showing LSSC correctly, albeit with generic descriptions as usual.

AFAICS this was the only show affected.
I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 135R. My guide now goes out to Sep 24 6:00AM. Not a full two weeks, but better than previously, when it stopped at Sep 19.

For this week, I'm also seeing The Late Show with Stephen Colbert as "Unknown Event". The weird part is that the Info show it as a New Episode. For tonight and tomorrow night (Wednesday and Thursday), I'm seeing Jimmy Kimmel Live as "Unknown Event" also.

For anyone else with a D-Link DIR-655 router, who was blocking updates, like I was, the instructions to block the updates are here. Just eliminate the 2 entries listed in these instructions. That is, eliminate the Website Filter for tr50.dishaccess.tv. And delete the Access Control you previously entered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16082 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone in the Los Angeles area and had to deal with Decades channel?

Decades has been on 2.2 as a sub channel for KCBS since 2015. As of 9/3, channel 2.2 is Start TV.

Decades web page says LA is now channel 54.2.

One of my DVR+ successfully took 54.2 and now I see Decades logo, and even show guide data, but the antenna signal is zero.
The RF channel is 27.8 which I try to enter in the manual scan window but must not be the correct method.

The other DVR+, I can't even get that far.

Hesitating to perform full re scan yet.
I read somewhere Decades broadcast antenna is on a mountain i never heard of......not sure thats my issue. (now can't find name of mountain)

Anyone in LA currently able to view Decades on its new channel54.2 Virtual/27.8 RF?

And both DVRs have UNKNOWN EVENT for late night shows.

Last edited by kent2174; 09-12-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add
post #16083 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
You would just enter channel 27 on the manual scan screen. The ".8" is a program ID, which you don't need to enter.

RF 27 is a shared frequency. If you scan it in, you should get channels 27.1 through 27.5, 54.1, and 54.2.

If 54.1 (MeTV) works but you aren't seeing anything on 54.2 when you tune to it, Decades may not be live on that channel yet. You could try contacting KAZA, which is actually owned by MeTV. Their contact info is at https://metv.com/kaza/.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16084 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Since I have been using the 114r when I upgrade to 135r will I have to change my button map on my Sony remote? I had to record them from the flat original DVR+ remote.
No, you don't need to remap. But some buttons will work differently. The following uses the flat remote as a guide, since I don't know how you mapped them on the Sony:

• The flat remote's CC button will now bring up the Audio menu.
  • The colored buttons are no longer used to navigate backward or forward in the guide, or to bring up the Search screen. You now navigate the guide using Skip Fwd, Skip Back, FF, and Rewind. You have to use the menu to bring up the Search screen.
  • Outside of the DVR submenu, the colored buttons are now shortcuts into the Channel Master TV portion of the guide. (You'd have to activate Channel Master TV to see those channels.) Within the DVR submenu, the colored buttons work as they do in 114R: Red=Delete, Yellow=Reorder Recordings List, Green=Search, and Blue=Next Screen. So you can still use the green button to search your recordings, but not to search the guide
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16085 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
You would just enter channel 27 on the manual scan screen. The ".8" is a program ID, which you don't need to enter.

RF 27 is a shared frequency. If you scan it in, you should get channels 27.1 through 27.5, 54.1, and 54.2.

If 54.1 (MeTV) works but you aren't seeing anything on 54.2 when you tune to it, Decades may not be live on that channel yet. You could try contacting KAZA, which is actually owned by MeTV. Their contact info is at https://metv.com/kaza/.
Perfect clarifications, thanks.
Just discovered need to press start scan.
All good now so I can catch some Jack Benny Programs.
post #16086 of 16704 Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
ABC The View is shown as 'unknown event' for the last 3 days - everything else normal 14 day update - is the show too political for someone? The show is actually recorded.
post #16087 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
ABC The View is shown as 'unknown event' for the last 3 days - everything else normal 14 day update - is the show too political for someone? The show is actually recorded.
@JHBrandt first mentioned that the The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was listed as "Unknown Event" for this week. I noticed that last night's and tonight's Jimmy Kimmel Live are listed as "Unknown Event". Don't know the cause, but I suspect that it's the same cause for all 3 shows.

Last edited by Arenal04; 09-13-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Fix small typo
post #16088 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
@JHBrandt first mentioned that the The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was listed as "Unknown Event" for this week. I noticed that last night's and tonight's Jimmy Kimmel Live are listed as "Unknown Event". Don't know the cause, but I suspect that it's the same cause for all 3 shows.
The channel guide is showing Jimmy Kimmel and Stephan Colbert as unknown and blank in the guide. Seems that Rovi is censoring the guide because they talk about the president. I was in Ocala yesterday and back in Orlando today and it is the same. Different channels in each location. I have two of the DVR+'s one in my house in Orlando and one my RV. I do a factory reset each time I take the RV away from Orlando to bring in new channels and program guide for whatever city I am In.
post #16089 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
No Jimmy Kimmel

Quote:
The channel guide is showing Jimmy Kimmel and Stephan Colbert as unknown and blank in the guide. Seems that Rovi is censoring the guide because they talk about the president. I was in Ocala yesterday and back in Orlando today and it is the same. Different channels in each location. I have two of the DVR+'s one in my house in Orlando and one my RV. I do a factory reset each time I take the RV away from Orlando to bring in new channels and program guide for whatever city I am In.
post #16090 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Guide still available on 124R?

Is anyone on 124R still able to get Rovi (aka Tivo) guide updates?

It's been awhile since I've been on the thread, but from reading up it seems like I may not be the only one who is not getting a guide update under 124R, as people may now be forced into the 135R update and the internet guide.

Here's what happened: I just bought a second backup DVR+ (used), and I was setting up the channels. Since I noticed some new channels, I did a full rescan of channels on our primary DVR+. We were also having some errors in recording on the primary DVR+ and had less than stellar signal strength (compared to the tuner in our LG tv). One thing led to another and I took a big step... the factory reset of the primary DVR+.

We were getting guide data on the primary unit (with 124R) prior to the factory reset (not always accurate, and not always 14 days out, but close enough for use). Now, nothing. It has been on for less than 24 hours, but still no update overnight.

I also read that people with guide data were getting a hard cutoff at 9/19. Is the 9/19 cutoff consistent in all US markets/zipcodes, or are some folks getting guide data beyond that?

So, anyone with 124R still getting Rovi guide data, or do I have to bite the bullet and update to 135R?

(I'm likely going to do some more reboots, cold and warm, prior to giving in. Also waiting more than 24 hours seems like a good idea).
post #16091 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Is anyone on 124R still able to get Rovi (aka Tivo) guide updates?
I'm on 124r and every time I've tried a guide update the past week it shows a 204 error code right away which internet indicates means "no content". so apparently wherever rovi data used to come from it's no longer there. I was hoping this could be another of those temporary outages like in the past but I'm starting to think not and will have to update my fw.
r3r3r likes this.
post #16092 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Monday, LSSC recorded OK, but with a blank title. Tuesday it didn't record at all. Weirdly, last night I noticed that LSSC was correctly listed and was scheduled to record. When I get home I'll see if it worked.

Talk shows don't have as much lead time on their descriptions as scripted shows, so I could understand not having descriptions. But usually in that situation the guide has the correct title and at least a generic description. That's usually seen in the second week of the guide.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #16093 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtiburon View Post
I have two of the DVR+'s one in my house in Orlando and one my RV. I do a factory reset each time I take the RV away from Orlando to bring in new channels and program guide for whatever city I am In.
Actually I think changing the zip and doing a full scan is enough. Of course if your channels have changed, you'll have to set up your recordings again, but at least you won't have to redo any customized settings.
post #16094 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM

After running into the Rovi guide 9/19 cutoff that many have noted here and reading through the post, I bit the bullet and updated to v135R. All went fine and now my guide goes out to 9/25 and a lot of the “To Be Announced” programs are filled in (but there still are a number of them, but farther out in time).

The Channel Master instructions for a Manual Software Update by USB drive recommends doing a Factory Reset after the software update.

Everything is working fine on my DVR+

Anyone have any thoughts on the benefits and downsides of doing the Factory Reset?

As all is working fine, not planning on doing it, but thought I’d see what folks have to say about it.

Thanks.
post #16095 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post
After running into the Rovi guide 9/19 cutoff that many have noted here and reading through the post, I bit the bullet and updated to v135R. All went fine and now my guide goes out to 9/25 and a lot of the “To Be Announced” programs are filled in (but there still are a number of them, but farther out in time).

The Channel Master instructions for a Manual Software Update by USB drive recommends doing a Factory Reset after the software update.

Anyone have any thoughts on the benefits and downsides of doing the Factory Reset?

As all is working fine, not planning on doing it, but thought I’d see what folks have to say about it.

Thanks.
A Factory Reset is not necessary for the 135R update, or for any update, or when reverting to an older version. Channel Master prescribes the dreaded Factory Reset for everything (including rain ), and is usually unnecessary. A Factory Reset need not be done unless there is a problem for which all other remedies have failed.

The problem with a Factory Reset is everything is LOST (except for recordings). The worst thing is having to recreate recording schedules, and blocking unwanted channels.

I've upgraded, and downgraded many, many, many times, and I have never had to do a Factory Reset.
post #16096 of 16704 Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
A Factory Reset is not necessary for the 135R update, or for any update, or when reverting to an older version. Channel Master prescribes the dreaded Factory Reset for everything (including rain ), and is usually unnecessary. A Factory Reset need not be done unless there is a problem for which all other remedies have failed.

The problem with a Factory Reset is everything is LOST (except for recordings). The worst thing is having to recreate recording schedules, and blocking unwanted channels.

I've upgraded, and downgraded many, many, many times, and I have never had to do a Factory Reset.
Cool, thanks for the info. Thought it might be an overkill recommendation from CM and wasn't planning on doing it. Now definitely off the list.

Thanks!
pachinko likes this.
post #16097 of 16704 Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post

Thanks.
Echoing @pachinko 's comments, I didn't have to do a Factory Reset when I upgraded to 135R. Also, as @pachinko noted some months back, when upgrading via a thumb drive, the firmware file does NOT have to be the only thing on the thumb drive. The upgrade over the Internet kept failing for me. So I copied the firmware file to a thumb drive that had several video files and a Microsoft Word document on it. No problems whatsoever. IIRC, the only restriction is that there can be only one firmware file in the root directory of the drive. And that it has to be formatted in FAT32.
pachinko likes this.
post #16098 of 16704 Old 09-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I ended up doing a firmware upgrade to 135R (using a USB stick) on both units. The internet guide now comes in on both. No factory reset after. No problems. Thanks for the comments.
pachinko, Arenal04 and pilotart like this.
post #16099 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Well I upgraded from the 114r to the 135r and thanks to JHBrandt I did not have to reprogram any buttons on my Sony remote. The Guide is coming in with 13 to 14 days as before ROVI went down and my wireless connection is working just fine, BUT in STB Health under Last Channel Master TV Update it says, Unable to get update time for Internet channels.

Is this because I have not subscribed to internet channels or is something wrong? Thanks for any answers.
post #16100 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I've had my DVR+ for two+ years now and lately it has been acting up. For instance, it did not record the Packers last week and did not even show a "fail". I know I had it set up properly. I have been running the latest firmware (135R) for awhile and I'm just wondering why it seems that so many here were trying to avoid updating to the latest and sticking with 124R or even earlier firmware ?

Sean
post #16101 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The answer varies. Firmware version 114R (and unpublished version 115R) were the last versions where the "flat" remote buttons (particularly the CC button) functioned as designed. The next version, 124R, had some other "surprises" too, such as removing the ability to delete unwanted channels; so some folks stayed on 114R because of that.

124R was such a big change to the way the DVR+ worked, many folks changed their attitudes toward CM firmware updates afterwards, and began upgrading only if they wanted a feature added in the new release. Some even went so far as to stay on 132R when 134R came out, even though 134R was merely a bug-fix release, with no "surprises" I'm aware of.

Also, version 124R was the only version that could format (some) HDDs over 2 TiB to use the full capacity of the drive. All other versions have a 2 TiB limit. (Of course, you could format your HDD with version 124R, then upgrade; the newer firmware versions will still use the full-capacity format created by 124R. They just won't format it to full capacity in the first place.)

Version 132R added Sling TV, which no longer works on any DVR+ firmware version. However CMTV no longer works with 124R. Also, 132R fixed some of the mess 124R made with the colored buttons on the remote. So unless you frequently format large HDDs, I saw no real compelling reason to remain on 124R. (In a pinch, you could always downgrade to it with a mantenance restart.) But everyone has their own reasons. Heck, a lot of folks still use Windows XP, and I see nothing wrong with that.

I stayed on version 134R mostly to see how long the guide would keep working! The answer turned out to be 9/5/2018 (two weeks before the 9/19 end of the last Rovi guide). So surprisingly, earlier versions worked for about 9 months after 135R was released.
pachinko likes this.
post #16102 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, as for your recording failures, I've had those happen too, on both versions 134R and 135R. The DVR+ just seems to lock up, and only a warm or cold boot will unlock it. Once it rebooted, I could often tell when it had locked up by the recordings it missed.

The DVR+ isn't the only DVR with such issues. I long ago learned to always make two recordings on two different DVRs, in case something like this happens.

However, I'm not aware of any specific bug with those two releases. We've long known that the DVR+ works best when rebooted periodically.
post #16103 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Well I upgraded from the 114r to the 135r and thanks to JHBrandt I did not have to reprogram any buttons on my Sony remote. The Guide is coming in with 13 to 14 days as before ROVI went down and my wireless connection is working just fine, BUT in STB Health under Last Channel Master TV Update it says, Unable to get update time for Internet channels.

Is this because I have not subscribed to internet channels or is something wrong? Thanks for any answers.
Yes, unless you've subscribed to CMTV, that field always says that. It can be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I've had my DVR+ for two+ years now and lately it has been acting up. For instance, it did not record the Packers last week and did not even show a "fail". I know I had it set up properly. I have been running the latest firmware (135R) for awhile and I'm just wondering why it seems that so many here were trying to avoid updating to the latest and sticking with 124R or even earlier firmware ?
Quote:
The answer varies. ...

I believe another reason for not upgrading to 135R was because we did not know how to block future automatic updates like we can for all earlier versions. Of course, it is very unlikely that there will be any more updates, so it's probably meaningless now.
post #16104 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
BTW, as for your recording failures, I've had those happen too, on both versions 134R and 135R. The DVR+ just seems to lock up, and only a warm or cold boot will unlock it. Once it rebooted, I could often tell when it had locked up by the recordings it missed.

The DVR+ isn't the only DVR with such issues. I long ago learned to always make two recordings on two different DVRs, in case something like this happens.

However, I'm not aware of any specific bug with those two releases. We've long known that the DVR+ works best when rebooted periodically.
Thanks for taking the time to summarize all the issues with previous firmware. It almost seems that CM is trying to sabotage the DVR+ to get users to switch over to the new Stream+... or just some bad decisions on updates.

What did you mean by "end of the last Rovi guide" ? Is CM now using a different service for guide data ?

Sean
post #16105 of 16704 Old 09-16-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, it almost seems like that, except most of the updates predated the Stream+ by months or years. So I think it was just a combination of incompetence and the "middleman" effect (CM standing between the consumers and the designers of the DVR+).

The apparent point of the final 135R update was to "untie" the DVR+ from Rovi. (Strictly speaking, Rovi is TiVo now, but we've been through this - it's easier for me to keep calling the "guide division" of Tivo Rovi.) Apparently, instead of getting the guide directly from Rovi, the DVR+ now gets its guide from a server operated by CM. The data itself still appears to be Rovi's data, but with 135R, CM could change to another guide provider and it would be transparent to DVR+ users.

BTW, Pachinko is right: one concern I raised with 135R was the possibility that firmware updates could also come from the new CM server. If so, we couldn't block updates any longer without losing the guide. But, now that I, like all of us, is on 135R, I can report that checking for updates (with tr50.dishaccess.tv blocked) still returns "unknown error" as with earlier versions. So it appears blocking that web site still works.

The only reason for my concern was the possibility that CM might forcibly update the DVR+ to remove "obsolete," yet working, apps - and that new firmware might even disable reverting via a maintenance restart. That may sound paranoid but Samsung has done things like this with their "smart" TVs.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #16106 of 16704 Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I had been seeing interment 'pixelation' last spring and attributed it to my trees growing taller than the antenna (a MOHU '50' rectangle bonded to an external wall).

I discovered that a daily 'warm boot' completely cured all reception problems.
Well worth the few seconds of pressing down the 'power' button for that.
Art
post #16107 of 16704 Old 09-17-2018, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I had been seeing interment 'pixelation' last spring and attributed it to my trees growing taller than the antenna (a MOHU '50' rectangle bonded to an external wall).

I discovered that a daily 'warm boot' completely cured all reception problems.
Well worth the few seconds of pressing down the 'power' button for that.
Art
time to move up the MOHU up, perhaps to a chimney ?
post #16108 of 16704 Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 503
@P Smith , no chimney and I spent several months five years ago to locate it for best reception.

And then, permanently sealed (and painted over) to a stucco wall, removal would surely destroy it.

Doubt that the expected 'new' broadcast system would necessitate a change, but that would be the moment.

Just glad it's working so perfectly now, as I don't want to mount a mast on my roof.
Have extensive overhangs all-round and hate adding holes to fasten anything up there.
Art
post #16109 of 16704 Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
IMO, if the reception would critically affected by trees, branches, leaves, etc., I would install new antennae high as possible and forget about the MOHU bonded to the house forever …
post #16110 of 16704 Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
(First post). Back to the thread where a user was having problems with hangs when pausing recordings...

I've had the DVR+ base model for several years now, and had pretty good luck with it, but lately, the thing would hang anytime we paused a recording. I had 135r update loaded.
I thought it was one of the 2Tb HGST hard drives, as it didn't seem to be an issue on the 1Tb HGST drive. I spent better than 8 hours at work transferring the data from the 2Tb to teh 1Tb on my work Linux machine... only to have the same issues with the 1Tb drive.

After a lot of factory resets and warm boots, I finally loaded 124r, and we haven't had a freeze since.

In the Portland Oregon area, we've lost channel 6 (KOIN) all summer long, as they are changing from RF channel 43 to 20 (yay!), but they were transmitting at 10% power and with a lower antenna in the mean time. They were supposed to be functional on the main antenna today, though still at reduced power. By the end of the month, they are supposed to be back to full power.

Channel 2 is on RF 43, and it's been crappy for a year now. They too are supposed to move to a lower channel, 23. I can't wait....

--Bruce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page