Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 538 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4487Likes

post #16111 of 17433 Old 09-17-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Cool Interment pixel scramble on DVR+ playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
IMO, if the reception would critically affected by trees, branches, leaves, etc., I would install new antennae high as possible and forget about the MOHU bonded to the house forever …
I need to take into consideration the fact that TV's Tuner, DVD Recorder as well as the Stream+ have no signal quality issues at all, at any time. It's just the DVR+ (intermittently) and that is eliminated entirely with a simple daily 'warm boot'. Those are all on same antenna through CM's "Amplify" and another TV/DVR+ in another room, and on an inside MOHU 50 gets 'Class A' reception on 25 of the 33 Channels (completely misses some LPV's), so I have some pretty good signal without constructing a TV Tower.

The TV has a better signal quality display than the DVR+ and some channels are nearly twice as 'strong' (dB's) as others, but they all (33) look and sound great. The few channels that pixelate occasionally on my un-rebooted DVR+ are of the ones that report 'better' on the TV. ....

Main problem with checking 'signal' on a DVR+ is you see the pixel issue on a playback of a recording and thus the issue was in the past and not currently (signal strength/quality) seen. My TV stores and displays "Weak Signal" by Channel, date/time going back six months (20 instances w/o any dB numbers).

My only intent in reporting this issue here was for anyone seeing an apparent signal issue, to just try to see if a simple warm boot of the DVR+ resolves it before going out and climbing up on their roof.

My trees in question (evergreens) were knee high when I planted them, and I have a ladder plus a pole saw I'd probably choose (if/when 'booting' fails) over an antenna tower installation.

And of course DVR+ #3 sits atop DVR+ #1 for further research if necessary
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16112 of 17433 Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
use Clonzilla or Ghost next time, it will cut the transfer time to a couple hourse
post #16113 of 17433 Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNMac View Post
I've had the DVR+ base model for several years now, and had pretty good luck with it, but lately, the thing would hang anytime we paused a recording. I had 135r update loaded....

After a lot of factory resets and warm boots, I finally loaded 124r, and we haven't had a freeze since.
Well that certainly doesn't sound good! Can anyone confirm? If so, it sounds like 135R firmware (that we have to use to get the Internet guide now) has a rather serious bug that's unlikely to ever be fixed.

BTW, I can tell you I had no such problems with 134R. I haven't been on 135R that long, but I'll check this out in the next day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16114 of 17433 Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oddly, I had run with 135r for quite some time, perhaps not long after it was released. It was only in the last few weeks did it occasionally hang when pausing a live show, or sometimes a recording. Once in a while, either hitting the stop button (to jump to the current programming) or disconnecting the HD jar it loose. Usually, it didn't matter - a warm reboot was necessary.

So far, 124r seems to be doing just fine so I'll stick with that for now.
post #16115 of 17433 Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
IMO, if the reception would critically affected by trees, branches, leaves, etc., I would install new antennae high as possible and forget about the MOHU bonded to the house forever …
Been there, done that with a Mohu 60 Sky that was on the roof, but behind trees. Installed an HD Stacker on the end of the house about 25' away and 4' higher. 100% of problems solved. Because I'm a bit of a cheapskate I reinstalled the Mohu to the mast below the HD Stacker and ran the coax into the attic. Haven't hooked it up yet, but I bet it would also show great improvement in its new location. That antenna will probably drive a TV that may or may not be installed in the guest bedroom.
post #16116 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So now Amazon is in the DVR business. As an owner of a DVR+, it has things I wanted in DVR+ release 2 which never happened. Whole home DVR function, stream to mobile, fully capable network enabled device, etc... It will be interesting to see the software user interface (i.e. guide, integration with other streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc...).
post #16117 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
So now Amazon is in the DVR business. As an owner of a DVR+, it has things I wanted in DVR+ release 2 which never happened. Whole home DVR function, stream to mobile, fully capable network enabled device, etc... It will be interesting to see the software user interface (i.e. guide, integration with other streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc...).
They claim guide integration with PlayStation Vue. I'd rather see guide integration with other OTT services like Vue, DirecTV NOW, Sling, etc. than with Netflix since those are all live TV services. Netflix has no schedule, so why show its massive catalog in a grid guide? Even so, just having OTA and OTT on the same box is a step in the right direction.
post #16118 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
They claim guide integration with PlayStation Vue. I'd rather see guide integration with other OTT services like Vue, DirecTV NOW, Sling, etc. than with Netflix since those are all live TV services. Netflix has no schedule, so why show its massive catalog in a grid guide? Even so, just having OTA and OTT on the same box is a step in the right direction.
Yes, I meant to say integrate with other live streaming services. Or at the very least, configurable launch points to any other Fire TV apps within the OTA grid interface (which would launch quickly and reliably). Similar to the DVR+ attempt to add launch channels for YouTube, SlingTV, etc, but would work. Then exiting a Fire TV app launched from the OTA grid would return to OTA grid.
post #16119 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Guys, please don't continue discussions of the new Amazon Recast here. It has it's own group. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...ve-tv-dvr.html

JHBrandt likes this.
post #16120 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the link
post #16121 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Guys, please don't continue discussions of the new Amazon Recast here. It has it's own group. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...ve-tv-dvr.html

Thank for the link.
post #16122 of 17433 Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
... things I wanted in DVR+ release 2 which never happened. Whole home DVR function, stream to mobile, fully capable network enabled device, etc....
I want to point out that the reason devices like the AirTV BB, Recast, Tablo, etc. can claim "whole home" and "stream to mobile" (not sure what "fully capable network enabled device" means, but I think it's just marketing gobbledygook intended to sound impressive without actually saying anything) is that unlike the DVR+, they aren't designed to be connected to a TV at all. They're more like HDHomeRuns with added storage for DVR functionality; they just connect to the antenna & stream OTA content via WiFi or Ethernet. So you need a streaming box of some sort (Fire TV, Roku, Android or whatever) on each TV to use them.

There's nothing wrong with that approach (as long as you match the DVR to your streaming devices: e.g., the Recast won't work with Rokus); in fact, I use an AirTV BB myself. But it's way different from what we DVR+ owners were begging CM for! We were hoping that the DVR+ would be upgraded to play recordings both on the TV it was attached to and over the network to another DVR+, a la TiVo.
post #16123 of 17433 Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Using 132R, Afraid to Upgrade

I'm still using firmware 132R, and the only reason I'd want to upgrade is to get back the extended guide. Can someone direct me to a page that covers features of 135R that I might dislike, if the page exists? Please help, thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #16124 of 17433 Old 09-23-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AFAIK the only changes between 132R and 134R were bug fixes, and the only change between 134R and 135R was getting the extended guide from CM's new server. There were no features added or changed in either update; therefore, I don't believe you'll see any difference after updating, except the extended guide will work again, and it's now called the "Internet" guide instead of the "Rovi" guide. Also the red LED will remain on during recordings as it's supposed to (that was one of the bugs fixed in 134R).

In the unlikely event that I'm wrong and you discover something wrong with 135R, you can always revert back to 132R with a maintenance restart.
post #16125 of 17433 Old 09-24-2018, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just to share my recent struggles with my now 3 year old Channel Master:
- guide data was incomplete a few days out, including the "unknown event" listing on mainstream broadcasts (Colbert, Seth Meyers)
- Manually selecting a Meyers episode and choosing 'record all programs with this name' would give a 'zero episodes were found' or something, even though I just selected an existing episode to make the series. Huh?
- New episodes of Colbert would not be recognized as such, causing recordings to fail / not happen.

I finally ended up doing a full reset today, and lo and behold choosing to record all new Seth Meyers episodes now actually finds a few matches. So maybe the DVR+ or the guide can get stuck in some bugged state? I hope this fix sticks for a while..

Unrelated: I find a couple of channels have 100% signal strength and 0% signal quality. Does this indicate interference issues?

EDIT: sorry guys, should have added: I'm on the latest firmware, whichever that is. Gotta love the cryptic message that the CM uses to say 'Your software is up to date'. Something like "The version of the software on your device matches the version on the server". Great attention to detail there..

DVR+ CM-7500BDL3 owner since 8-2015, recovering Spectrum victim

Last edited by ChannelMoocher; 09-25-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #16126 of 17433 Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
if you would add what version FW your DVR+ running ...
post #16127 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMoocher View Post
Unrelated: I find a couple of channels have 100% signal strength and 0% signal quality. Does this indicate interference issues?
Do you have an amplifier on your antenna?

I get that on stations that would be at 30% signal strength and 40% quality without my amplifier. With the amplifier the signal strength is boosted to 100%, but the quality does not increase. When those stations are "challenged" by wind, rain or other atmospheric stuff that affects the signal quality, it will go down to 0% and be just a black screen.
ChannelMoocher likes this.
post #16128 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
AFAIK the only changes between 132R and 134R were bug fixes, and the only change between 134R and 135R was getting the extended guide from CM's new server. There were no features added or changed in either update; therefore, I don't believe you'll see any difference after updating, except the extended guide will work again, and it's now called the "Internet" guide instead of the "Rovi" guide. Also the red LED will remain on during recordings as it's supposed to (that was one of the bugs fixed in 134R).

In the unlikely event that I'm wrong and you discover something wrong with 135R, you can always revert back to 132R with a maintenance restart.

Thanks, but at this point I don't even quite remember how to manually upgrade the FW. In the menus?

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #16129 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMoocher View Post
I find a couple of channels have 100% signal strength and 0% signal quality. Does this indicate interference issues?
Could be. In a nutshell it means there's a lot of RF energy on those channels, but the DVR+ can't decode anything. That could be:

• A nearby low-power station still broadcasting in analog (believe it or not, there are still a few of those left)
  • A station testing ATSC 3.0
  • A vacant TV frequency being used by a "white space" device
  • A digital signal badly degraded, either by multipath reflections or by interference from a nearby source

Those are roughly in order from least likely to most likely. If you give us the frequencies and your location, we could probably narrow it down quite a bit.
ChannelMoocher likes this.
post #16130 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks, but at this point I don't even quite remember how to manually upgrade the FW. In the menus?
  1. Make sure you have a FAT32-formatted flash drive, with the update file in the root directory
  2. Eject the HDD you record to (from the DVR menu)
  3. Unplug it
  4. Plug in the flash drive with the update file

If you're upgrading, the DVR+ will detect the update automatically, and prompt you to "download" and install it. Once it's installed, the DVR+ will reboot. After it reboots, you can eject the flash drive, unplug it, and plug in your recordings HDD again.

If you're downgrading, you'll have to perform a maintenance restart to install it. It's a bit tricky but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
post #16131 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Do you have an amplifier on your antenna? I get that on stations that would be at 30% signal strength and 40% quality without my amplifier. With the amplifier the signal strength is boosted to 100%, but the quality does not increase. When those stations are "challenged" by wind, rain or other atmospheric stuff that affects the signal quality, it will go down to 0% and be just a black screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Could be. In a nutshell it means there's a lot of RF energy on those channels, but the DVR+ can't decode anything. That could be:
  • A nearby low-power station still broadcasting in analog (believe it or not, there are still a few of those left)
  • A station testing ATSC 3.0
  • A vacant TV frequency being used by a "white space" device
  • A digital signal badly degraded, either by multipath reflections or by interference from a nearby source

Those are roughly in order from least likely to most likely. If you give us the frequencies and your location, we could probably narrow it down quite a bit.
Thanks both, I imagined something like these. I don't have an amplifier on it anymore. In the past I noticed that my amplifier would boost some weak channels (great) but overload the CM for some stronger signals, or so I think. On those channels I would consistently get bad signal quality and 100% strength. Since then I have removed the amp, so that should not be the problem anymore.

In the end I found an antenna position that works for the problematic channel, so there might indeed be some source of interference in my apt. Objects nearby: Onkyo receiver, speakers, charging station for handheld vac (that might be one to try moving..), and two large metal legs under my kitchen island, very close to the antenna. Oh and a couple of metal string guitars.. I'll try to move some stuff around to see if I can pinpoint the main offender.

DVR+ CM-7500BDL3 owner since 8-2015, recovering Spectrum victim
post #16132 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via AIM to ralph galli jr
I have the DVR+ and I am having trouble with getting the two-week guide on NBC in Las Vegas. It is showing about six hours of programming information.
Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

RGJ
post #16133 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph galli jr View Post
I have the DVR+ and I am having trouble with getting the two-week guide on NBC in Las Vegas. It is showing about six hours of programming information.
A few weeks ago the 14 day Rovi (TiVo) guide stopped working in all DVR+ versions prior to 135R. You can continue to use the DVR+ with any version prior to 135R, but it will only receive PSIP data. If you want the 14 day guide, you'll have to update the DVR+ to version 135R.

Unblock the address tr50.dishaccess.tv in the router and the DVR+ should updated over its internet connection (either automatically or by requesting the update in the menu). Or it can be updated from a USB flash drive (recent instructions HERE). The CM download for 135R is HERE.

Ignore CM's comment to do a dreaded Factory Reset after the update. That is almost always completely unnecessary.
post #16134 of 17433 Old 09-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Does the channel have the colorful NBC logo displayed in the guide? The DVR+ falls back to PSIP information broadcast by the television station if it doesn't have guide data supplied by Channel Master. Usually that's 12 to 48 hours in the guide, but some stations don't keep it up much at all.
post #16135 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM

Yes the colorful NBC logo is displayed, and I have the latest software downloaded.

RGJ
post #16136 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
A few weeks ago the 14 day Rovi (TiVo) guide stopped working in all DVR+ versions prior to 135R. You can continue to use the DVR+ with any version prior to 135R, but it will only receive PSIP data. If you want the 14 day guide, you'll have to update the DVR+ to version 135R.

Unblock the address tr50.dishaccess.tv in the router and the DVR+ should updated over its internet connection (either automatically or by requesting the update in the menu). Or it can be updated from a USB flash drive (recent instructions HERE). The CM download for 135R is HERE.

Ignore CM's comment to do a dreaded Factory Reset after the update. That is almost always completely unnecessary.
How do I get to this?...tr50.dishaccess.tv in my modem router? And yes I have the latest download 135R.

RGJ
post #16137 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do I get to this?...tr50.dishaccess.tv in my modem router? And yes I have the latest download 135R.
If you don't know what that means, you probably don't need to worry about it. That instruction only applies if you had already configured your router to block that host. (Many of us have done that to block updates from interrupting our recordings at inconvenient times, or from installing unwanted "improvements.")
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #16138 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the colorful NBC logo is displayed, and I have the latest software downloaded.
In that case, you are getting the guide from the Internet. Try a simple cold start first (unplug the power plug from the DVR+ for 15 seconds, then plug it back in). After the DVR+ reboots, wait 10-15 minutes for the guide to download (it's slow), then check it again.

If that doesn't work, it could be a regional outage. You can try changing your Zip code (that's in the date/time menu ) just to download another city's guide and wait 10-15 minutes for it to download. It will probably be wildly incorrect, but the idea is just to see if another city has 14 days. If it does but LV doesn't, it's a regional outage and you'll need to complain to CM. (Either way, change your Zip code back after your experiment.)
post #16139 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
I'm holding out hope for a miracle and won't upgrade to the latest firmware for a couple of weeks/months until I can't stand not having a 14 day guide any more.
UPDATE: Since determining that my DVR+ (version 114R) was going to use PSIP data from now on, I purchased an additional DVR+ that I have updated to version 135R and am using concurrently to see how it works. Here are my observations/frustrations with what I am experiencing with both systems.

1) (114R-PSIP data) The PSIP data is just not going to work long term with the DVR+. I have one station (NBC) that only shows 10 hours of data sometimes (and that is after I change to that channel to refresh it). Other stations only have 18 or 24 hours of data.

2) (114R-PSIP data) I like to perform name recordings mostly so that the program description data is included with each of my recordings. Two problems… A) It seems that more times than not the PSIP data does not show the extra program description information that I was getting before. B) These types of recordings don’t work unless I go to that channel to refresh that channel’s data all the time otherwise I miss recording programs (like I did last night with The Tonight Show).

3) (114R-PSIP data) Sometimes I have noticed that when I use the guide and press on the INFO button there is program description data; then when I change to that channel the program description data immediately disappears off of the screen (in the first 2 seconds while I’m watching it) and there is nothing showing when I press the INFO button again.

4) (114R-PSIP data) I have noticed that when I copy programs to my computer using DVR+ Lister v15.7.3 that the first character of the program description field is dropped. It is not consistent. Different channels, different programs, but the same programs seem to be more prone to this problem than others. The first character is in the program description on the screen correctly.

5) (135R) Am I correct in saying that a hard drive larger than 2TB won’t use it's entire size with 135R unless I partition it with version 124R first? Can I not just purchase an 8TB drive and partition it with 135R and it will use the entire hard drive space? If this is true, why did they go backwards after 124R and not allow this?

6) (135R) Didn’t I see somewhere in this forum that Channel Master fixed the 50 item recording limit? I am still experiencing this limit with the new 135R version. Very disappointing and frustrating because I run into it all the time.

7) (135R-Server data) The guide data is much worse than it was before Channel Master took it over. I am seeing 10 days’ worth of data, but sometimes only one week’s worth of correct data. My local rerun channel just changed their afternoon and nightly rerun schedule and that old schedule is still showing in the second week of guide data. Many more of the programs are also not showing detailed program description information like it did before. Also, the NEW flag is not set consistently on many of the NEW episodes like it used to be.

8) (135R-Server data) I seem to be having a worse time finding a local zip code that will show all of my guide data than I ever did with my previous version. I went through 20 local zip codes before I found one that worked on most channels. I’ve never had that much trouble before. Why is this still a problem? They've had at least 5 upgrades to fix this issue?

9) (135R) I have not seen the freezing problem with 135R yet that people on this forum keep talking about. However, I do notice that tasks seem to stutter and delay more. It hasn’t totally frozen yet though (knock on wood). I actually had my version 114R freeze every once in a while so this doesn’t surprise me that it’s not fixed.

10) (135R) One of the main reasons I hadn’t upgraded my DVR+ version was that I really liked how the Closed Caption button worked. I still don’t understand why they had to change this, but I have found that it is not as big of a deal as I had originally thought. I think I can work with having to use an additional menu to get the CC to work.

Overall, I’m just not pleased with how Channel Master has handled the support of the DVR+ and its commitment to keeping it a viable and usable product for years to come. I know that’s not their goal, but the bad feelings it leaves me with makes me want to never purchase a Channel Master product again. A professional product on the market should not have this many problems.....and don't get me started on them abandoning it for the STREAM+...

Last edited by SeattleSounder; 09-26-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #16140 of 17433 Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Using the 135r my guide goes out to 10/2, not 14 days but 5days. Maybe I should go back to the 114r at least I did not have the glitches in playback that I have now with the 135r. The glitches look like a dropped frame and occur every 10 to 20 seconds. If I jump back it is gone. Does not affect the audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page