Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 539 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4259Likes

post #16141 of 16909 Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Using the 135r my guide goes out to 10/2, not 14 days but 5days. Maybe I should go back to the 114r at least I did not have the glitches in playback that I have now with the 135r. The glitches look like a dropped frame and occur every 10 to 20 seconds. If I jump back it is gone. Does not affect the audio.
If you revert, your guide will only go out 24-48 hours, and you will need to tune into the station (or one of the stations is a set) to refresh the guide.
artisticimaging likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16142 of 16909 Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
1) (114R-PSIP data) The PSIP data is just not going to work long term with the DVR+. I have one station (NBC) that only shows 10 hours of data sometimes (and that is after I change to that channel to refresh it). Other stations only have 18 or 24 hours of data.
Yes, you can get as little as 9 hours at certain points in time. At least 12 hours are broadcast, but it's divided into 3-hour blocks, and the current show can be at the end of the first block, leaving only 9 hours after the current show.
Quote:
2) (114R-PSIP data) These types of recordings don’t work unless I go to that channel to refresh that channel’s data all the time otherwise I miss recording programs (like I did last night with The Tonight Show).
Greasemonkey found it necessary to set up twice-daily 5-minute manual recordings just to force the DVR+ to tune to each station and keep his PSIP guide up-to-date. But that's a lot of recordings that cut badly into your #6 below.

Another option might be to downgrade to even earlier firmware. My first DVR+ came with 108R, and for several months I had it disconnected from the Internet, so I was using PSIP data too. 108R seemed to periodically scan all channels in order to keep the PSIP guide fresh, although it was odd in some ways: it wouldn't "find" a show for a series recording, even if it was in the guide, until a few hours before it was supposed to start. That caused me a lot of anxiety; yet it somehow managed to get all my shows recorded.
Quote:
5) (135R) Am I correct in saying that a hard drive larger than 2TB won’t use it's entire size with 135R unless I partition it with version 124R first? Can I not just purchase an 8TB drive and partition it with 135R and it will use the entire hard drive space? If this is true, why did they go backwards after 124R and not allow this?
That is correct. You need to downgrade to 124R to have any chance of formatting a >2TB HDD to use its full capacity.

I believe the reason CM went back to the 2TB limit with 132R et seq. is that they blew it with 124R. 124R works correctly if the HDD's USB interface exposes 4K sectors, but if it exposes 512-byte sectors, 124R actually does even worse than other versions. I guess they felt it was better to switch back than to try a fix and possibly blow it again.

Besides, there's a hard limit of 999 recordings no matter how big your HDD is. Most folks will hit that limit before they fill up even a 4 TB HDD, let alone an 8 TB one!
Quote:
6) (135R) Didn’t I see somewhere in this forum that Channel Master fixed the 50 item recording limit? I am still experiencing this limit with the new 135R version. Very disappointing and frustrating because I run into it all the time.
Not that I recall; IIRC it's always been a 54-item limit.
Quote:
7) (135R-Server data) The guide data is much worse than it was before Channel Master took it over. I am seeing 10 days’ worth of data, but sometimes only one week’s worth of correct data. My local rerun channel just changed their afternoon and nightly rerun schedule and that old schedule is still showing in the second week of guide data. Many more of the programs are also not showing detailed program description information like it did before. Also, the NEW flag is not set consistently on many of the NEW episodes like it used to be.
For me, it's always been as bad as you now describe. I've had all the issues you're now noticing for as long as I can remember. For me it's always been more of a 7-day guide with hints or guesses about the upcoming week. Unfortunately, it seems that CM is still using Rovi/TiVo as the ultimate source of guide data; all CM took over was the server function.

I wish I could tell you that other DVRs are better, but with few exceptions (Tablo?) they all seem to trace back to Rovi.
Quote:
10) (135R) One of the main reasons I hadn’t upgraded my DVR+ version was that I really liked how the Closed Caption button worked. I still don’t understand why they had to change this, but I have found that it is not as big of a deal as I had originally thought. I think I can work with having to use an additional menu to get the CC to work.
At least you can live with it. Although minor for most folks, it's always struck me as one of the more cynical moves CM made.

I'm speculating of course, but the best I can figure is that this had to do with the then-new "enhanced" DVR+ remote. I have one and it's a nice remote, but for some mysterious reason CM decided to combine the Audio and CC buttons into a single button on this remote, apparently to make room for the largely useless "Live" button. Then, since the original flat remote had separate audio and CC buttons, they apparently also decided to eliminate that advantage of the flat remote! I guess they just wanted folks to have as few reasons as they could manage not to upgrade to the new remote.
post #16143 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I live in a rural location where the power can go out a couple times a week.

I've noticed that when the power stays on for a week or more at a time, my DVR+ starts doing funny things that others have described in this forum. It seems the longer it is connected to power, the more glitches build up in the DVR+ memory.

When the power goes out every few days, I don't have any glitches (except the obvious missing recordings if the power is out).

This got me thinking - is it a good idea to put a timer on the DVR+ to have the power cut-off to it for a period of time (say 30 minutes) every night when it's not in use to force a reset/restart to clear out the memory and any other bad behavior?

Just a thought - anyone see any negatives to cutting the power to the DVR+ daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16144 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post

I've noticed that when the power stays on for a week or more at a time, my DVR+ starts doing funny things that others have described in this forum. It seems the longer it is connected to power, the more glitches build up in the DVR+ memory.

When the power goes out every few days, I don't have any glitches (except the obvious missing recordings if the power is out).

This got me thinking - is it a good idea to put a timer on the DVR+ to have the power cut-off to it for a period of time (say 30 minutes) every night when it's not in use to force a reset/restart to clear out the memory and any other bad behavior?

Just a thought - anyone see any negatives to cutting the power to the DVR+ daily?
Rebooting daily seems a bit excessive, but I can't think of any problems with doing so. However, when you lose power, you'll need to reset the clock on the timer. So, to me, when it's all said and done, the timer solution won't buy you much, in terms of saved effort. Personally, I reboot at the end of every month. If you have glitches more often, I'd say to reboot twice a week. Something like Monday and Friday. FYI, you don't need to disconnect the power for as long as 30 minutes. I do about 5 minutes. Many others successfully do it for 1-2 minutes.

If you want to make it REALLY easy, plug the DVR+ into an extension cord that has an inline switch. Won't have to bend down to unplug it at the wall... Yeah, I know it's lazy, but I like it when things are easy.

Last edited by Arenal04; 09-27-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add idea about extension cord.
post #16145 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
If you revert, your guide will only go out 24-48 hours, and you will need to tune into the station (or one of the stations is a set) to refresh the guide.

Update; after doing a guide reset I got the 14 day guide again, but I still have the glitches. So I guess I will wait until the guide stops working and then I will revert to the 114r.

Quote:

When I do a cold reboot I have trouble getting the DVR+ to recognize my Hard drive. So I won't be turn off the power. An issue for me I guess.
post #16146 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
When I do a cold reboot I have trouble getting the DVR+ to recognize my Hard drive. So I won't be turn off the power. An issue for me I guess.
Several things to try. 1) Snug up the hard drive cable, on both ends. I'm amazed at how many times I've found a cable that was loose, which I swore was plugged in firmly. 2) With the DVR+'s power cord disconnected, disconnect the hard drive cable on both ends, then plug the cable back in. 3) Try a different hard drive, if you have one.
post #16147 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've suggested using a timer to reboot weekly, but I don't know anyone who's tried it yet. If you do let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Rebooting daily seems a bit excessive, but I can't think of any problems with doing so. However, when you lose power, you'll need to reset the clock on the timer.
I suppose you could plug the timer into a UPS!
post #16148 of 16909 Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I'm surprised - the DVR+ is e*/dish product by UK branch shared some codebase from US - while doesn't have a setting to assign daily time for reboot; practically all Linux core PVR/DVR from dish have mandatory nightly reboot, to clean memory leakage and start fresh system what could run on many bugs a couple days only.
Why UK coders didn't implement the "feature" for DVR+ ?!
Perhaps they feel they could make bug-free DVR ? Nope ! It's a dish SW development "culture".
pilotart likes this.
post #16149 of 16909 Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 AM

I've put my DVR+ on a timer that will shut it off for 5 minutes every night at 4am. I'll give an update next week or so once I've had it going for a few days.

The timer I have has a 9V battery back-up - I used it for Xmas lights as power outages would constantly require a reset to my Xmas light timers in the past.
post #16150 of 16909 Old 09-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I plugged my DVR+ into a Wemo miniplug. I can either use my phone and its WEMO app or my NEEO remote to power off/on the DVR+ as needed.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16151 of 16909 Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Several things to try. 1) Snug up the hard drive cable, on both ends. I'm amazed at how many times I've found a cable that was loose, which I swore was plugged in firmly. 2) With the DVR+'s power cord disconnected, disconnect the hard drive cable on both ends, then plug the cable back in. 3) Try a different hard drive, if you have one.

Thanks Arenal04, but I tried all of that when I had the glitches before the 114r. When the 114r resolved it I thought I was set for life. For now I will just live with it until the guide stops completely and then I will go back to the 114r.
post #16152 of 16909 Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Greasemonkey found it necessary to set up twice-daily 5-minute manual recordings just to force the DVR+ to tune to each station and keep his PSIP guide up-to-date. But that's a lot of recordings that cut badly into your #6 below.
Quote:

The dummy programs work well, but depending on how many channels you want to scan they can really cut into your total timer recording limit. Based on my experimentation, the best way to maintain up to date PSIP data is to reboot the DVR+ at least twice a day. My results showed that after a reboot the DVR+ will scan all the channels, even when powered down in standby mode. Using a digital programmable timer like the one @JHBrandt posted a while back would automate this task. The problem for me is that when the DVR+ reboots, my Samsung TV powers on and doesn't shut off. To find out if you are a potential beneficiary of this process, follow the steps below:

1. Power down your DVR+ and TV set and leave them in standby mode.
2. Cut the power to the DVR+. I pull the power supply plug out of the back of the DVR+, but unplugging it from the outlet works, too.
3. Let the cold reboot cycle complete...completely. When finished, the DVR+ should power back down to standby mode (dim blue light).
4. Once the DVR+ returns to standby mode, the cycle is complete. The DVR+ is scanning for PSIP data.
5. If your TV did not power up during the process, you are a good candidate to use this method to keep your PSIP Guide up to date.

Note: If you perform the cold reboot when the DVR+ is on, it will remain on when the cycle completes. Make sure it is in standby mode when doing the experiment.

If this process worked for me I would use a programmable timer that triggers a reboot every 8 hours. Like others have pointed out, a power outage kills power to the programmable timer, so a UPS would be a definite must for this to work properly. Doing this would also have the benefit of clearing memory leaks and other clutter that causes the DVR+ to act like a meth-head tweaker. Another thing to remember is to set the programmable timer for times when you know there is no recording scheduled, and for at least 30 minutes after a reboot. I've found that after a reboot it takes a while for the DVR+ to get its bearings back, and recordings scheduled too close to a reboot don't start on time. To that end, a 7 day programmable timer would be the best. That way you would have more flexibility if what you watch and record varies by days, especially on the weekend. One last thing...even if this works perfectly you will never have a two week schedule (like the Internet schedule) that allows you to plan your viewing far in advance. But you will always have a functioning Guide, and you will never miss any scheduled recordings. To program out more than two days you will need to consult an online guide like Zap2It or Titan, and create manual recordings.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 09-29-2018 at 07:38 PM.
post #16153 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM

It's been 5 nights since I've put a timer on my DVR+ to cut the power off in the night when I have no recordings. My earliest recording is 10am, the latest ends at 11pm, so I'm safe with my approximately 4am shutdown.

Just some observations:
-guide (internet) must update each time it gets power back on. Just over 2 weeks of guide show up every day.
-some of the high bitrate channels don't cut out the audio as often as they did when the power was on for several days straight. Not sure how to quantify this, but seems to be better.
-curious if anyone knows the power consumption when the DVR+ is in standby with no recordings? Curious if I could shut off the power for several hours and save a dollar or two a month.

Other then that, no issues - just performs as it should. Will give an update if things start acting up.
post #16154 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
-curious if anyone knows the power consumption when the DVR+ is in standby with no recordings? Curious if I could shut off the power for several hours and save a dollar or two a month.

Other then that, no issues - just performs as it should. Will give an update if things start acting up.

The power consumption for the DVR+ is 8.4 watts in standby and 9.3 watts turned on.
Culpepper likes this.
post #16155 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To save a buck you'd need to save about 10 kWh or so (depends on the cost of electricity, of course). 10,000 / 8.4 = about 1190 hours. So if you could shut it off 10 hours per day, that would be 119 days (just under four months) per dollar saved, or about $3/year.

Power consumption and savings would be higher if you have a HDD that doesn't stop spinning in standby, of course....
post #16156 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
...Curious if I could shut off the power for several hours and save a dollar or two a month.
Using 9.3 watts of power when in use, you can have the DVR+ running 24 hours a day for a month and it would consume 6.7 kWh (kilowatt hours) of electricity. At an average U. S. electrical rate of 12¢/kWh that would work out to about 80¢ per month for electricity for continuous operation.
post #16157 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 01:37 PM

In my case it is 6.5 cents kWh during off-peak hours (where I live in Ontario, Canada, we have pricing based on the time of day) - therefore I'm probably looking at a dollar or two a year...not worth the effort.
post #16158 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only way you could get significant energy savings at that level would be if every similar device was designed to use little or no power when in standby mode. (Of course a DVR has to wake up not only for recordings, but also periodically for guide downloads and the like, so there would be times when the power usage went back up even in standby, but it could still "hibernate" in between those times.)

Mandatory efficiency standards might work, but individuals doing it on their own, or even voluntary standards like the US EPA's "Energy Star" program, won't make a noticeable dent in this kind of "low-level" energy consumption.

That said, it's worth noting that the DVR+ is much more energy-efficient than the CM-7000Pal DVR, even if you add 5-6 more watts for a large HDD. So things have been moving in a good direction over the last several years.

It'd be interesting to see if the trend toward less energy use has continued with the Stream+.
post #16159 of 16909 Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's been 5 nights since I've put a timer on my DVR+ to cut the power off in the night when I have no recordings. My earliest recording is 10am, the latest ends at 11pm, so I'm safe with my approximately 4am shutdown.
Just curious, but since you didn't indicate otherwise I'm guessing that your TV doesn't power on when your DVR+ reboots. Is this the case? If not, and you ever want to get your mad scientist on you could unplug the Internet cable one night and see if the PSIP guide populates and schedules your 10:00AM recordings. That obviously means that you would have to be awake and present before then to see if it did, and use the Internet EPG to schedule them if it didn't.

Quote:
(Of course a DVR has to wake up not only for recordings, but also periodically for guide downloads and the like, so there would be times when the power usage went back up even in standby, but it could still "hibernate" in between those times.)
Since I've never used the Internet guide I've never seen this, but has anyone ever noticed their DVR+ waking up from standby mode to do any of these non-recording things? If it has to wake up to use the Internet you would think that it would have to do the same thing for PSIP data. But I've never heard or seen anything that would resemble a wake up--or even a sleep walk from my DVR+. I sometimes hear the internal HDD spin up a couple of minutes before a recording begins, and hear it spinning for a couple of minutes after it goes back to standby mode. But other than that, it's a very quiet, almost taciturn-like appliance.
post #16160 of 16909 Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My bedroom internal drive DVR+ is connected to smart plug, which turns off all power to DVR and SonyTV between hours of 1am - 8:55pm.
Prior to smart plug, I used manual timer. Smart plug is so much easier to program .
The 9pm Channel 9 news records just fine every day.
Since i usually go to sleep prior to 1am, I just tell Alexis to turn off that smart plug, so i don't hear the spinning drive.
No issues with this unit, except some audio drop outs (about once a week), which reinstates when I rewind 10 seconds.

The spare bedroom still uses the old PAL, which also turns off with smart plug overnight, and thru the day.
The PAL still functions fine, but is getting very noisy and vibrates. I've been saying for couple years, its on its last leg.

Our primary DVR+ with DVR powered Seagate hard drive in living room, connected to 65" Samsung, is powered on 24/7, but I do try to remember to shut down for few seconds monthly to avoid the error messages.

So far Stream+ is connected 24/7, as I see very little consumption use on Edison smart meter.
I do need to unplug the Stream+ occasionally, as it seems frozen with no splash screen if not used in several days.

I like using Stream+ on 24inch Samsung tv monitor on other side of living room for watching CNN on Sling.

Looking forward to testing the Recast when it becomes available. I have not been able to find number of days in their guide yet.
post #16161 of 16909 Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Since I've never used the Internet guide I've never seen this, but has anyone ever noticed their DVR+ waking up from standby mode to do any of these non-recording things?
Strictly speaking, "standby" only means the HDMI output is turned off and the LED is dim, not that the DVR+ is asleep. So it doesn't have to come out of standby to retrieve the OTA guide or the CMTV channel list every day, but if it truly slept or hibernated, it would have to wake up. You wouldn't see any difference just looking at it, but its power consumption would be much lower when "asleep" than when doing one of those things.

Since its power consumption in standby is pretty constant and only slightly less than its power consumption when on, it appears the DVR+ never sleeps.

In contrast, a typical HomeWorX or iView uses about 8 watts when on, but only about one watt in standby, so we know those boxes truly "sleep." The only thing drawing power in standby is a timer chip set to boot the box up about a minute before the next scheduled recording.
post #16162 of 16909 Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
My bedroom internal drive DVR+ is connected to smart plug, which turns off all power to DVR and SonyTV between hours of 1am - 8:55pm...The 9pm Channel 9 news records just fine every day.
I'm actually kind of surprised that your recording starts on time, considering the 5 minute window after the DVR+ reboots. Is your 9pm news a Guide scheduled recording or manual recording? I'm not positive, but I think I've only tested the reboot just prior to recording against Guide scheduled programs. In those cases I think it takes about 10 minutes after a reboot before a recording begins. Also, if your news is scheduled via the Internet guide it may make a difference, as well.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, "standby" only means the HDMI output is turned off and the LED is dim, not that the DVR+ is asleep. So it doesn't have to come out of standby to retrieve the OTA guide or the CMTV channel list every day, but if it truly slept or hibernated, it would have to wake up. You wouldn't see any difference just looking at it, but its power consumption would be much lower when "asleep" than when doing one of those things.

Since its power consumption in standby is pretty constant and only slightly less than its power consumption when on, it appears the DVR+ never sleeps.
I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. 8.4 watts in standby is also a surprise. I wouldn't have thought it was that high at all. That's about what a 60 watt equivalent LED light bulb uses. I would agree that means the DVR+ never sleeps, but until you posted that comment I thought only the Mouse Police never sleeps.. BTW, understanding that last comment is what separates the grown ups from the kids...
post #16163 of 16909 Old 10-04-2018, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
... That's about what a 60 watt equivalent LED light bulb uses. ...
nope, wrong analogy
the DVR doesn't produce a light what LED made 7x against old bulbs

it's simply add 8Wh each hour into your electrical energy consumption eg payable resource
post #16164 of 16909 Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
[QUOTE=Greasemonkey;56904860]I'm actually kind of surprised that your recording starts on time, considering the 5 minute window after the DVR+ reboots. Is your 9pm news a Guide scheduled recording or manual recording? I'm not positive, but I think I've only tested the reboot just prior to recording against Guide scheduled programs. In those cases I think it takes about 10 minutes after a reboot before a recording begins. Also, if your news is scheduled via the Internet guide it may make a difference, as well.

The 9pm KCAL news is scheduled from the guide, I have no manual recordings. I too was surprised the 5 minute window was enough time to boot up and begin recording.

The guide is getting worse when it comes to New Episode, late night shows (IE Jimmy Kimmel) does not post New, so I need to record all.
I noticed Antenna TV posts New Episode on many of their decade old shows.
So from now on, I need to verify listings, as to record all or new only.
post #16165 of 16909 Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After Factory Reset, Only 1 Recording at a Time?

I haven't been able to connect with the internet, although connected to my home network, the CM CS people advised me to do a factory reset. I did, and now when I try to record 2 programs at the same time, it says that I can only record 1 program at a time. I don't recall that this has been discussed previously.

Suggestions? Work around?
post #16166 of 16909 Old 10-05-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
I haven't been able to connect with the internet, although connected to my home network, the CM CS people advised me to do a factory reset. I did, and now when I try to record 2 programs at the same time, it says that I can only record 1 program at a time. I don't recall that this has been discussed previously.

Suggestions? Work around?
Only one recording at a time if on the 16GB internal storage. I suspect you disconnected the USB EHD for the dreaded Factory Reset. Reconnect it and try again.
post #16167 of 16909 Old 10-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Only one recording at a time if on the 16GB internal storage. I suspect you disconnected the USB EHD for the dreaded Factory Reset. Reconnect it and try again.
Yes, that worked. I had the external HD disconnected during the reset.

The other problem that I had is connecting to the internet:
Internet Status = Disconnected
Wired Connection status = Connected
This became a problem only about 2 months ago after owning the unit for 2 years or so.

I have done the factory reset several times, started and stopped modem and router several times, changed network cables. etc but no internet connection. CM tells me that it sounds like the port is bad on the the DVR+. If this is true how could Wired Connection Status = Connected? Doesn't this say that the DVR+ does have a connection and the port is not defective?? Their solution is to buy their wifi adapter and use the unit in wireless mode.

Does is sound like 'the port is bad' and that using the wifi adapter is the answer or is it really something else?

Ron
post #16168 of 16909 Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post

The other problem that I had is connecting to the internet:
Internet Status = Disconnected
Wired Connection status = Connected
This became a problem only about 2 months ago after owning the unit for 2 years or so.

I have done the factory reset several times, started and stopped modem and router several times, changed network cables. etc but no internet connection. CM tells me that it sounds like the port is bad on the the DVR+. If this is true how could Wired Connection Status = Connected? Doesn't this say that the DVR+ does have a connection and the port is not defective?? Their solution is to buy their wifi adapter and use the unit in wireless mode.

Does is sound like 'the port is bad' and that using the wifi adapter is the answer or is it really something else?
Hmm... I don't know what it means, but have you tried to eliminate the router as the problem by trying a different port on the router, and better yet, temporarily connect the Ethernet cable from the DVR+ directly to the modem just to see if that fixes things.

If bypassing the router works, I'd suspect an issue on the router. Maybe the router is blocking the DVR+?

Yeah, it would be nice to try WiFi, but the price that CM wants for their dongle is excessive, and reasonably priced models obtained elsewhere may or may not be compatible (as this thread has reported and discussed many times). Models with "CU" (as opposed to "EU") as the last 2 characters in their model number have been reported to work (I have model RTL8192CU and it works perfectly, about $10), but it's difficult to know the model number until the dongle is in hand. I also have a dongle from China that doesn't work on anything (it was really cheap, like $3)!
post #16169 of 16909 Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Hmm... I don't know what it means, but have you tried to eliminate the router as the problem by trying a different port on the router, and better yet, temporarily connect the Ethernet cable from the DVR+ directly to the modem just to see if that fixes things.

If bypassing the router works, I'd suspect an issue on the router. Maybe the router is blocking the DVR+?

Yeah, it would be nice to try WiFi, but the price that CM wants for their dongle is excessive, and reasonably priced models obtained elsewhere may or may not be compatible (as this thread has reported and discussed many times). Models with "CU" (as opposed to "EU") as the last 2 characters in their model number have been reported to work (I have model RTL8192CU and it works perfectly, about $10), but it's difficult to know the model number until the dongle is in hand. I also have a dongle from China that doesn't work on anything (it was really cheap, like $3)!
Thanks for the info.

I found the problem, and it is ME. Although I had disconnected the power to my modem several times in the last few days, apparently the process wasn't 'complete'. Just now, pulling the power to the modem, and router, and having the modem try to reconnect to Cox several times over 10 minutes or so, I finally got a connection to the internet. During the time I couldn't get the DVR+ to connect to the internet, I had no problem with my desktop, laptop, iPad, etc having a current connection to the internet.

So the CM people don't understand their product very well, in my opinion. Their bad port diagnosis was NOT correct at all. Their dongle is now on sale for $20, plus $7.95 to mail the less than one ounce dongle. At least, I have learned a lesson or two, and will have a dongle if it should be needed in the future to run in wireless mode.
pachinko likes this.
post #16170 of 16909 Old 10-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
resolution settings

Hi, just bought a used DVR+, wondering about the output resolution settings. One of the first things I looked for was whether the DVR+ had a passthrough setting so my TV could do the upscaling to 4k from the native broadcast resolution. When I first set it to "best available" I was pleased that my TV reported various channels at 480i, 720p, and 1080i as hoped and expected. A few days later, my TV will now only report receiving 1080p when the DVR+ is set to "best available." If I set the DVR+ to any of the preset resolutions, my TV correctly reports the selected resolution. So it appears that the "best available" setting is "stuck" and will only upscale to 1080p. Any ideas on how to get it back to a true passthrough setting? I expect my TV will do better upscaling than the DVR+ and also avoid two instances of supscaling. The TV is an LG OLED.
Also, my DVR+ was not factory reset when I bought it, but seems to work well except for the above issue. Is it recommended to do a full factory reset anyway? I read that it is referred to as "dreaded..."
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page