Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 542 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4252Likes

post #16231 of 16899 Old 10-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
But try the ATSC tuner built into your TV sometime. If you're lucky, it'll display not only what's on now, but also what's on next! Or try a typical converter box. The best is probably a HomeWorX or iView, or possibly a CM-7004: tune it to PBS and (if you wait several minutes), you'll see 24 hours of guide data.
Streaming services are not much better when it comes to a guide for their DVRs. My wife loves those Hallmark Christmas movies so I always buy her two months of whatever streaming service she can watch them on. This year it's Philo, at $16 a month. But the guide only goes out to the end of the day ... or maybe a maximum of five or six programs. Searching goes out about a week to 10 days from what I can tell, so I have to keep remembering to log in and set up the each week's Hallmark "Countdown to Christmas" Movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16232 of 16899 Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
But try the ATSC tuner built into your TV sometime. If you're lucky, it'll display not only what's on now, but also what's on next!
It does. Samsung TV. Non-grid, single channel guide that gives me a program description for what is currently on the active channel. The "Next" part of the guide is just the program title and the time it airs. The DVR+ guide has really spoiled me in that I use it if I have to watch something on the TV tuner because the DVR+ tuners are both recording. The firmware on the TV can be upgraded, so there may be a small chance that since I bought it there is a full grid EPG. I've never bothered to upgrade the firmware, and since it is Samsung any upgrades are probably limited to collecting personal data to enhance my viewing experience.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16233 of 16899 Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Although it would be nice, I doubt Samsung has improved the guide in any of its firmware updates. Luckily, there are a lot of Samsung owners on this thread (although not me) who know much more than I do (i.e., nothing) about what functionality their firmware updates can add.

One bit of advice: if you do hook up your Samsung to the Internet to update its firmware, use a wired connection if at all possible. If you can't do that, create a temporary guest wireless account on your wireless router that you can delete afterwards, and let your Samsung use that. I've heard Samsung TVs will "remember" the credentials for any wireless connection you use and will try to use them to check for further firmware updates (and "enhance your viewing experience") even if you disable wireless access at the TV! So once your Samsung knows your wireless password, your only hope is to change it at the router, which means changing it on all your other wireless devices too. Much easier to just plug in a cable, then unplug it when done, especially if you prefer your viewing experience to remain unenhanced

I do remember my first HDTV receiver - and it was a Samsung! Had a full, grid-style guide powered by PSIP too. Not sure how far out it went; I do remember it was rather slow to populate, because it had to tune to each station on the current page of the guide to download the data, and didn't seem to keep it in memory as you paged up, down, or dismissed the guide. (The CM-7004 converter box has a grid-style guide that behaves similarly.)

Of course, that Samsung receiver was from ten years ago and it neither had nor needed an Internet connection. But the point is, it shows Samsung knows how to do it if they want to.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16234 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Then can you tell us the industry reason(s) why stations don't provide a longer, if not the longest guide data set that is possible? Since you manage the PSIP servers, what is the labor difference between providing 1 day of data vs. 7 days or 14 days? Also, as an industry insider, what do you see in the future for broadcast television as it relates to products like the DVR+ and others that focus on OTA television instead of streaming? Do you see ATSC 3.0 as the final nail in the coffin for such products, or a whole new ball game with new products that don't require an Internet connection to watch and record programs, and access guide data to schedule them?
It's very simple to change the number of days we provide. TitanTV only supplies me with 5 days though. There is a minimum number of hours that the FCC requires though so I think stations just leave it at that. Not sure about other stations but I transmit as much as I can because I use PSIP sometimes at home. Cable and satellite companies use their own guide data for their guide so maybe most stations either don't bother or not even aware that it can be changed. I know when we installed the equipment to handle psip, Triveni didn't ask me how many day of guide I wanted. They just set it for 16 hours and let it go. I had to ask them how to change it. We are also suppose to make sure it's up to date too like when a ball game runs over and stuff get's pushed back 15 minutes or more but that never happens.

Not sure about ATSC 3.0. I know you'll need a new dvr. But that won't be for awhile. I've been in the business for 44 years. I've seen a lot of changes and they came quicker and quicker over the years. I see something coming but I'm not sure if OTA will be around or free. But there is going to be a lot you can do with it.
tveli likes this.
post #16235 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah the minimum is 4 EITs which works out to 9-12 hours depending on where "now" is in the current EIT.

"Most" cable companies rebroadcast PSIP for the OTA stations they carry. Not all of them, though, and as you say they have their own guide services anyway. Usually the only ones who use PSIP over cable are folks with MStar tuners like the iView, who still have some unencrypted OTA channels on their cable system.

Tony do you use PSIP with your DVR+ like Greasemonkey does? Or is there another device you use? There aren't many that will use 5 days like the DVR+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymich View Post
We are also suppose to make sure it's up to date too like when a ball game runs over and stuff get's pushed back 15 minutes or more but that never happens.
That would be a lot of work, but it would be great if there were DVRs that could use updated PSIP info. For example, I DVR the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. On Thursdays it usually gets pushed back for CBS's Thursday Night Football. CM's Internet guide tries to account for that, but the football game often runs over and the DVR+ doesn't know that, so it starts recording too early. If the game goes into overtime, the DVR+ can miss recording the entire show!

Someone needs to make a DVR that will use PSIP for the short term and Internet guide data only for days beyond what PSIP provides (and for metadata not provided by PSIP). That way it would have the best of both worlds: an extended guide for advance planning, and up-to-date info for shows about to be recorded.
post #16236 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's very simple to change the number of days we provide. TitanTV only supplies me with 5 days though. There is a minimum number of hours that the FCC requires though so I think stations just leave it at that. Not sure about other stations but I transmit as much as I can because I use PSIP sometimes at home. Cable and satellite companies use their own guide data for their guide so maybe most stations either don't bother or not even aware that it can be changed. I know when we installed the equipment to handle psip, Triveni didn't ask me how many day of guide I wanted. They just set it for 16 hours and let it go. I had to ask them how to change it. We are also suppose to make sure it's up to date too like when a ball game runs over and stuff get's pushed back 15 minutes or more but that never happens.
We have had several discussions here about PSIP guide data, ranging from how much bandwidth it uses to why it isn't utilized more for sports programming that can run long. Your post is also the first time I have seen Triveni Digital mentioned. So I checked out their page and saw the page for their PSIP product "GuideBuilder 5". From what I've read about it, there is nothing that should inhibit any station from providing the maximum amount of PSIP data possible. For stations broadcasting ATSC 3.0, GuideBuilder XM with free PSIP sounds like a great deal. If most stations care about OTA viewers as much as you do, do you think that contacting them and asking for more PSIP data would do any good?

Quote:
Not sure about ATSC 3.0. I know you'll need a new dvr. But that won't be for awhile. I've been in the business for 44 years. I've seen a lot of changes and they came quicker and quicker over the years. I see something coming but I'm not sure if OTA will be around or free. But there is going to be a lot you can do with it.
I was originally pessimistic about it, and recently became more optimistic. But your comment about not knowing if it will be "free" scares the hell out of me. Regardless of how much can be done with it, monetizing simple OTA viewing will absolutely kill OTA.

Quote:
Someone needs to make a DVR that will use PSIP for the short term and Internet guide data only for days beyond what PSIP provides (and for metadata not provided by PSIP). That way it would have the best of both worlds: an extended guide for advance planning, and up-to-date info for shows about to be recorded.
You had me at, "Someone needs to make a DVR"...
post #16237 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Question Feature comparison CM 7500 and the 7600 stream plus

I have the 7500 and it's just fine. It's not sold anymore, and CM now sells the "7600" aka stream plus. Where to find a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages, positives and negatives, of these two models?

The 7600 sells for less than a used 7500.

Sorry if it is already in the two forums... must have missed it.
post #16238 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
I have the 7500 and it's just fine. It's not sold anymore, and CM now sells the "7600" aka stream plus. Where to find a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages, positives and negatives, of these two models?
It depends on what you are more interested in. The Stream+ kind of sucks as an OTA DVR, but is adequate as a streaming device. The DVR+ is far better than the Stream+ as an OTA DVR, but doesn't have the streaming capabilities as the Stream+. The DVR+ isn't made any more, so there is no warranty service, and the streaming capabilities are only going to decline even further. The Stream+ will probably never equal the DVR+ for OTA/DVR capabilities, but it's streaming capabilities will probably get better until CM quits selling it. Both devices have bugs and quirks that you will have to either deal with or get used to. So make your choice based on what your primary use will be: OTA viewing and recording, or streaming.
post #16239 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It depends on what you are more interested in. The Stream+ kind of sucks as an OTA DVR, but is adequate as a streaming device. The DVR+ is far better than the Stream+ as an OTA DVR, but doesn't have the streaming capabilities as the Stream+. The DVR+ isn't made any more, so there is no warranty service, and the streaming capabilities are only going to decline even further. The Stream+ will probably never equal the DVR+ for OTA/DVR capabilities, but it's streaming capabilities will probably get better until CM quits selling it. Both devices have bugs and quirks that you will have to either deal with or get used to. So make your choice based on what your primary use will be: OTA viewing and recording, or streaming.

Thank you. Why did CM discontinue the 7500? I don't do streaming. What makes the Stream + so lousy poor at/for OTA viewing? Is CM aware of the deficiency(ies)?

Also heard that the Stream 7600 requires an Internet connection in order to record any OTA channel, whereas the 7500 does not. WTF? Is this true?

What size external drive can be used with the 7600? The 7500 uses up to 3GB.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 10-29-2018 at 08:04 PM.
post #16240 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why did CM discontinue the 7500?
No one knows. The 7500 (aka DVR+) was actually an Echostar product with Channel Master's brand, so I've speculated that Echostar couldn't support it any longer after selling part of their company back to Dish Network; but that's just an educated guess.
Quote:
What makes the Stream + so lousy/poor at/for OTA viewing?
It's OK for OTA viewing but it falls way short for OTA recording. Two major complaints are: no chase play, and the guide will only display two days (even though you can search a full 14-day guide). But it has other weaknesses too. An important one for me is that it's all but impossible to copy recordings off. Contrast that with the DVR+, where we have Pachinko's DVR+Lister to do the job easily.
Quote:
Is CM aware of the deficiency(ies)?
Yes, but CM didn't write the DVR app; it's Live Channels by Google. Live Channels was originally intended to be just an integrated OTA+streaming guide and wasn't designed as a DVR app at all. That function has been added on, but it's just not as good at it as the DVR+. Unless CM decides to write their own app, we're at Google's mercy for getting enhancements to Live Channels.
Quote:
Also heard that the Stream 7600 requires an Internet connection in order to record any OTA channel, whereas the 7500 does not. WTF? Is this true?
Well, sort of.... The Stream+ is an Android TV product, and Android needs an Internet connection for setup. Once set up, you can sort of limp along without the Internet for a while; you'll have PSIP data for a program guide, but you have to tune to a station for it to download the PSIP data; unlike the DVR+, it doesn't seem to "remember" what it just downloaded once you dismiss the guide.
Quote:
I think you meant 3TB. This may come as a surprise, but the DVR+ does not fully support 3TB drives! You can use one, but you'll only get about 2.2TB worth of recording space. CM actually hasn't been fully honest about this limitation, probably since they used to sell 3TB drives for use with the DVR+. In fact the DVR+ "hides" the actual recording space available by reporting only the drive's full capacity (i.e., 3TB) and by reporting the available space as a percentage, giving the misleading impression that all 3TB is available for recordings. The truth was only discovered when folks started plugging their DVR+ drives into PCs.

There is a workaround (a way to use the full 3TB), but it only works with certain drives, requires temporarily downgrading to an earlier firmware version, and is generally a PITA.
PeninsulaMark likes this.
post #16241 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. Why did CM discontinue the 7500? I don't do streaming. What makes the Stream + so lousy poor at/for OTA viewing? Is CM aware of the deficiency(ies)?
I wouldn't say it's lousy. Reception is fine with the two tuners, it records very well with a powered USB hard drive. The streaming options are much better than the 7500 (DVR+). It's hard to tell if the tuners are better than the DVR+ with my set up, but I know they are better than the Silicone Dust HD Homerun.

I think Dish or Echostar forced them to give up the DVR+, or didn't renew the contract, or something (E* made the DVR+ unit). So CM went out and found another manufacturer that made a box they could have converted to their spec for 2 ATSC tuners and software that could support DVR functions. They went with the Skipper from Technicolor, but the software layer is unlike any other Skipper unit. They are working with Google Live Channels (who is also working with the other Android boxes, Mibox and the Nvidia Shield).

The deficiencies the product had when it shipped have mostly been corrected. The remaining things are in the feature request category, at least for the DVR functions ... a longer guide display and "chase play" where you can start watching a program that is being recorded with a 20 minute delay. They have been promised by the end of the year by CM. Maybe, we'll see, right?

If it gets those two things I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for OTA DVR at a much lower price than the network DVRs like the Shield. I'll keep my DVR+ until it dies, but the Stream+ is on my second TV and is working fine for my needs.

Quote:

Nope. The Stream+ does use PSIP data if there is no Internet connection. You have to make sure the date and time are correct, then tune to a station. It will download whatever PSIP data is available and display it. They have a FAQ article on the process.

Like the DVR+, the Stream+ uses up to a 2 TB hard drive for storage. I have found a powered USB drive, and not one that is trying to draw power from the USB port, is very reliable. I always seemed to have problems with the hard drive disconnecting when it was powered from the USB port.
post #16242 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I wouldn't say it's lousy. Reception is fine with the two tuners, it records very well with a powered USB hard drive. The streaming options are much better than the 7500 (DVR+). It's hard to tell if the tuners are better than the DVR+ with my set up, but I know they are better than the Silicone Dust HD Homerun.

I think Dish or Echostar forced them to give up the DVR+, or didn't renew the contract, or something (E* made the DVR+ unit). So CM went out and found another manufacturer that made a box they could have converted to their spec for 2 ATSC tuners and software that could support DVR functions. They went with the Skipper from Technicolor, but the software layer is unlike any other Skipper unit. They are working with Google Live Channels (who is also working with the other Android boxes, Mibox and the Nvidia Shield).

The deficiencies the product had when it shipped have mostly been corrected. The remaining things are in the feature request category, at least for the DVR functions ... a longer guide display and "chase play" where you can start watching a program that is being recorded with a 20 minute delay. They have been promised by the end of the year by CM. Maybe, we'll see, right?

If it gets those two things I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for OTA DVR at a much lower price than the network DVRs like the Shield. I'll keep my DVR+ until it dies, but the Stream+ is on my second TV and is working fine for my needs.

Nope. The Stream+ does use PSIP data if there is no Internet connection. You have to make sure the date and time are correct, then tune to a station. It will download whatever PSIP data is available and display it. They have a FAQ article on the process.

Like the DVR+, the Stream+ uses up to a 2 TB hard drive for storage. I have found a powered USB drive, and not one that is trying to draw power from the USB port, is very reliable. I always seemed to have problems with the hard drive disconnecting when it was powered from the USB port.

Thank you. Can the recordings be easily copied like with the 7500? The 7500 claimed it only worked with the wireless adapter supplied by CM. Will the 7600 Stream + work with a better wireless adapter? The one sold by CM for the 7500 is very small, and perceives/receives a moderately weak signal from my strong RF router. May one use their own adapter with the Stream?
post #16243 of 16899 Old 10-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. Can the recordings be easily copied like with the 7500? The 7500 claimed it only worked with the wireless adapter supplied by CM. Will the 7600 Stream + work with a better wireless adapter? The one sold by CM for the 7500 is very small, and perceives/receives a moderately weak signal from my strong RF router. May one use their own adapter with the Stream?
You can pull the recordings off, but not quite as easily. See this post in the other forum about the Stream+ and archiving recordings.

It has Wireless 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz WiFi Dual Band 802.11ac built in, so you don't need an adapter. I have only used it with Ethernet. Early on some people reported disconnecting problems, but that may have been resolved.
post #16244 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
No one knows. The 7500 (aka DVR+) was actually an Echostar product with Channel Master's brand, so I've speculated that Echostar couldn't support it any longer after selling part of their company back to Dish Network; but that's just an educated guess.
Quote:
E* bailing is probably the most logical explanation. When they jumped back into the satellite game the OTA/streaming market worked against those interests. Had they not hooked up again with Dish, I think Channel Master would have continued to build on the DVR+ platform. If E* had spun off the DVR+ software to a willing buyer I think CM would have continued with it, as well. It would have been nice if E* chose not to keep their code locked in a vault, and instead sold it to a willing buyer who could have really done a lot with it. Imagine if Elon Musk had purchased it with some of his government grant money and then released it as open source. We would probably be seeing several flavors of it that could be tailored to the end user's desired purpose, i.e. streaming multiple apps, OTA recording, etc. And we no doubt would have had fully functional PSIP with it, as well. I wonder what the true market value of that code was when E* stopped working on it, and what that value is now.
post #16245 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can pull the recordings off, but not quite as easily. See this post in the other forum about the Stream+ and archiving recordings.

It has Wireless 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz WiFi Dual Band 802.11ac built in, so you don't need an adapter. I have only used it with Ethernet. Early on some people reported disconnecting problems, but that may have been resolved.

Thank you! And for those of us using only Macintosh, how best to extract the video?
post #16246 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Thank you! And for those of us using only Macintosh, how best to extract the video?
Please read dedicated to S+ thread (be prepare to bumpy ride)
post #16247 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Please read dedicated to S+ thread (be prepare to bumpy ride)
Cannot immediately find that post/thread by that name. Please provide a link.
post #16248 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cannot immediately find that post/thread by that name. Please provide a link.
Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread

Buckle in...
P Smith likes this.
post #16249 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's mainly a bitch fest with all of our speculation on what the Stream+ should have been, conspiracy theories about corporate malfeasance, how CM is evil and only concerned with money, how fixes won't come before 2019, etc.

The thread I started, Channel Master Stream+ OTA and Streaming Channels is in the more traditional format, with the first few posts detailing the specs, some early reviews, and a lot less bitching about the future of OTA.
post #16250 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
We have had several discussions here about PSIP guide data, ranging from how much bandwidth it uses to why it isn't utilized more for sports programming that can run long. Your post is also the first time I have seen Triveni Digital mentioned. So I checked out their page and saw the page for their PSIP product "GuideBuilder 5". From what I've read about it, there is nothing that should inhibit any station from providing the maximum amount of PSIP data possible. For stations broadcasting ATSC 3.0, GuideBuilder XM with free PSIP sounds like a great deal. If most stations care about OTA viewers as much as you do, do you think that contacting them and asking for more PSIP data would do any good?

I was originally pessimistic about it, and recently became more optimistic. But your comment about not knowing if it will be "free" scares the hell out of me. Regardless of how much can be done with it, monetizing simple OTA viewing will absolutely kill OTA.

You had me at, "Someone needs to make a DVR"...
I mentioned the possible fee for ota because there will be ways to do it when people are using smart TVs but I don't really think that will happen. I think you'll be able to register for the station's special broadcast though. Too many possibilities out there to mention.

Yes the Guidebuilder. Even other PSIP servers would be easy to program for max guide. I would call the stations in the area and ask them about it. Doesn't take up much bandwidth at all. Just have to ask the right person.

I have a DVR+ but also an older DVR that I would have to check on the brand name but it only uses PSIP for guide and only will go out a day or two. I knew that when we converted from Rovi to TitanTV for our guide that I was going to have 5 days I went for it. I don't touch the other stations in the group's PSIP setup unless they ask me to.
post #16251 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...unless they ask me to.
@tonymich ,
who are "they" ?
Are we - customers - doesn't belong there ?
post #16252 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
@tonymich ,
who are "they" ?
Are we - customers - doesn't belong there ?
"They" are the heads of the other stations. They have to request a change since it's their signal.
post #16253 of 16899 Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"They" are the heads of the other stations. They have to request a change since it's their signal.
Sad.
We are the customers, who are using the PSIP info, scheduling recordings, our time … thousands and thousands … but just one "head" who don't care about PSIP control, will ruin whole EPG environment for citizens... sad.
post #16254 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sad.
We are the customers, who are using the PSIP info, scheduling recordings, our time … thousands and thousands … but just one "head" who don't care about PSIP control, will ruin whole EPG environment for citizens... sad.
It's sad, but I don't think this falls on just one person. If I understand @tonymich , his station either operates as a hub for 12 other stations, i.e. provides engineering services, transmitter support, etc, or they just manage PSIP servers for them and he is the administrator for the servers. In either case, the 12 stations are the clients. He is obligated to abide by their wishes, either stated or contractual. The sad part is that there is absolutely no reason why every station doesn't provide the maximum amount of PSIP data available, either through their own engineer or by requesting that people like Tony set the servers they manage to do so. There are really no bandwidth considerations, the process is close to a "fire and forget" setup and the rest is up to whoever they contract with to actually provide the data. If the data provider can pipe 14 days of PSIP data down the line, and the software (in this case GuideBuilder) can pump 14 days of PSIP data through the transmitter then there is no reason why the DVR+ can't show 14 days worth of scheduling in the Guide. From what I saw on the Triveni Digital pages there is a lot of flexibility in how much meta data can be included. Other than human input, the only weak link in this equation is the shortcomings of the DVR+ in keeping up with the data collection. And as @JHBrandt has pointed out, version 108R in the firmware might take care of that. After reading the last few days of this thread I think I will compose a series of e-mails to send to the engineers at the full power stations in my market and see what kind of response I get. If that doesn't work I might even go all old school on them and send it in the paper enclosure with the stamp thing on it.
post #16255 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With permission of Tony, I would include technical and procedure details into your emails/mails. To be accepted it on professional level, not just from Joe Sixpack
post #16256 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
What is sad and telling is I am in the big NYC market and I communicated with just about all the broadcasters to extend the PSIP guide a number of years back when I was using the PALDVR.

I got only one response extending the guide a bit more and the rest fell into a black hole.

Frustrating to say the least. You can surmise many things from the lack of response.
post #16257 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
What is sad and telling is I am in the big NYC market and I communicated with just about all the broadcasters to extend the PSIP guide a number of years back when I was using the PALDVR.

I got only one response extending the guide a bit more and the rest fell into a black hole.

Frustrating to say the least. You can surmise many things from the lack of response.
I would try calling and ask for an engineer and not be to specific about what you want to talk about. Maybe just mention a signal issue. Then have the conversation about PSIP. We have our engineering department's email address on our web site so viewers can write us with questions and issues. Never a dull moment when we get one. I'm an old school engineer with a lot of patience.
post #16258 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is PSIP incapable of providing "new episode" info and a flag to initiate a recording? To me, that's the major and only really significant shortcoming of PSIP vs the internet data. Most of the other pertinent program info is widely available via online guides.
For those in Canada, the former version of the zap2it guide (before recent "improvements") is still available at http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...=1541477884689
post #16259 of 16899 Old 10-31-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
E* bailing is probably the most logical explanation. When they jumped back into the satellite game the OTA/streaming market worked against those interests. Had they [E*] not hooked up again with Dish, I think Channel Master would have continued to build on the DVR+ platform.
Interestingly, E* and Dish are still in the OTA/streaming business. E* makes and sells the AirTV "black box," an interesting 2-tuner network device with DVR capability similar to the Amazon Recast, but with Roku compatibility and the unique ability to let you watch your home TV stations over the Internet (it has a built-in Slingbox). And Dish of course operates the Sling TV streaming platform.

I think Dish (and DirecTV) see themselves these days more as TV content providers, with multiple means of delivery (satellite and streaming). But I'm unclear on why E* dropped the DVR+ in favor of the new AirTV platform. My guess is that Dish was calling the shots with the Sling TV app and didn't want to deal with the preexisting DVR+ design, preferring instead to develop the Sling app into an all-in-one UI for both OTA and streaming. (Although the original Sling TV app had a somewhat quirky guide design, the current app has the option of a standard grid-style guide that looks much like the DVR+ guide when CMTV is activated, listing both OTA and Sling TV streaming channels together.)

Note (and warning for folks researching the above): E*'s AirTV "black box" is totally different from the AirTV Player. The Player is an Android TV box similar to the Stream+. I don't know who makes it but it isn't E*.
post #16260 of 16899 Old 11-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper View Post
Is PSIP incapable of providing "new episode" info and a flag to initiate a recording? To me, that's the major and only really significant shortcoming of PSIP vs the internet data. Most of the other pertinent program info is widely available via online guides.
For those in Canada, the former version of the zap2it guide (before recent "improvements") is still available at http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...=1541477884689
I looked at the guide editor and there wasn't a "new episode" flag available. It can be said in the description field but that wouldn't flag it as new.
Culpepper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page