Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 545 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #16321 of 16830 Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Not sure what the problem is, but it's interesting that the length of the recording is 5 minutes. The minimum recording length for a manual recording is 5 minutes, so that may or may not have some connection to the length of recordings you are getting. I would go in and select "Edit" for your Space 1999 manual recording length and verify that the start/stop times are correct. If they are, your best bet would be to delete the recording and recreate it. There might be something corrupt in that particular recording setup. The other thing I would try would be to create a Series recording for both episodes from the Guide and see if that makes a difference. You'll have the couple of seconds of gap between them, but at this point you would still come out better than having only 5 minutes of the first episode.

Yes I like your suggestions, I will try that just to see because the series is over now and starts S1 E1 this Saturday. Funny in four years this has never happened. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a few DTVPal DVRs break recently, they had capacitors repaired about a year ago but failed again. Looking to purchase a ChannelMaster DVR+ - any places I should look for one outside of eBay (or does anyone in this thread have one for sale?)
post #16323 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My plan is to put my DVR+ up for sale on ebay tomorrow. Can someone advise me on whether I should deactivate it or not??

Can it be reactivated by someone else?? IF I leave it activated, are there any financial drawbacks (ie, they could be charged back to my account?).

Zip code 68502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16324 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falz View Post
I've had a few DTVPal DVRs break recently, they had capacitors repaired about a year ago but failed again. Looking to purchase a ChannelMaster DVR+ - any places I should look for one outside of eBay (or does anyone in this thread have one for sale?)
Didnt bother looking at the previous post when I posted my inquiry about deactivating prior to sale.

PM me (guess I can figure that out) or look at my new ebay listing later tomorrow night. Looks like I will be scooping snow til then...not sure what you are to get in Madison! I still need to take pix etc for my listing tomorrow.

Not sure what other methods of communication are allowed here. IF others are, please suggest and I will do my best.

Hope this is all compliant with posting rules, apologies if I am incorrect.

Happy Holidays.
post #16325 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Granoski View Post
Didnt bother looking at the previous post when I posted my inquiry about deactivating prior to sale.

PM me (guess I can figure that out) or look at my new ebay listing later tomorrow night. Looks like I will be scooping snow til then...not sure what you are to get in Madison! I still need to take pix etc for my listing tomorrow.

Not sure what other methods of communication are allowed here. IF others are, please suggest and I will do my best.

Hope this is all compliant with posting rules, apologies if I am incorrect.

Happy Holidays.
Hey good timing! I also have no clue if negotiating sales is permitted on this forum or sub forum at all, dropping a line here to say I sent you a PM. Yeah Madison is all rainy and crap, likely ice and whatnot tonight.
post #16326 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
please ignore my post. I got confused....pal dvr vs. dvr+
post #16327 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
is anyone else having trouble with their dvr+ not connecting to internet? I wanted to update guide data. fw is the latest (135r iirc).

it's connected to my network just fine but continues to say internet status is "disconnected". afaik I haven't changed anything, it was powered down the last week, turned it on, it connected to my local network but that's as far as it goes.

tried rescanning and whatnot, forcing it to retry internet connection but still nothing. not sure what else it could be unless their guide server is down but I don't know that IP to trying pinging it from my computer.

edit: btw I have no firewall filtering that should affect it, one for an android site and the other for tr50* I never bothered to remove but I took it out before posting and it didn't help.

Last edited by ej_eddie; 12-01-2018 at 12:41 PM.
post #16328 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Hey good timing! I also have no clue if negotiating sales is permitted on this forum or sub forum at all, dropping a line here to say I sent you a PM. Yeah Madison is all rainy and crap, likely ice and whatnot tonight.
I imagine any buying/selling should be in the classifieds section and not in the discussion forums. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

post #16329 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Sent PM (I think it was successful).

Still looking for recommendation as to whether I should deactivate prior to sale.
post #16330 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I imagine any buying/selling should be in the classifieds section and not in the discussion forums. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

Thanks and my apologies. Will post there later this evening.
post #16331 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Granoski View Post
My plan is to put my DVR+ up for sale on ebay tomorrow. Can someone advise me on whether I should deactivate it or not??

Can it be reactivated by someone else?? IF I leave it activated, are there any financial drawbacks (ie, they could be charged back to my account?).

Zip code 68502
A good "generally accepted practices" approach would be to do a full factory reset before unplugging it and boxing it up. The only data you have to worry about will be on the internal storage, and unless someone opens the DVR+ casing and removes the hard drive they won't have access to it. Doing a full factory reset will probably erase all of it anyway.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16332 of 16830 Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
A good "generally accepted practices" approach would be to do a full factory reset before unplugging it and boxing it up. The only data you have to worry about will be on the internal storage, and unless someone opens the DVR+ casing and removes the hard drive they won't have access to it. Doing a full factory reset will probably erase all of it anyway.
Thanks appreciated!
post #16333 of 16830 Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
is anyone else having trouble with their dvr+ not connecting to internet? I wanted to update guide data. fw is the latest (135r iirc).

it's connected to my network just fine but continues to say internet status is "disconnected". afaik I haven't changed anything, it was powered down the last week, turned it on, it connected to my local network but that's as far as it goes.

tried rescanning and whatnot, forcing it to retry internet connection but still nothing. not sure what else it could be unless their guide server is down but I don't know that IP to trying pinging it from my computer.

edit: btw I have no firewall filtering that should affect it, one for an android site and the other for tr50* I never bothered to remove but I took it out before posting and it didn't help.

I had this same problem with my hard wired internet connection. To fix, turn off your computer if connected to the same network, unplug the DVR+ from power, unplug your modem for a minute or two until you have established a new internet connection with your ISP, then plug in your modem until fully connected, then you can turn on your computer, verify your new internet connection, and then your DVR+. Go to SETTINGS, NETWORK SETUP, and see if you are connected to the internet. If not, you may have to go thru the setup again. I did. My connection is wired and very easy to setup. DVR+ tech support tole me that the wired connection on the DVR+ board had failed and that the only fix was to use the wireless connection, which required a purchase of their adapter. They didn't know what they were talking about.
pachinko, pilotart and ej_eddie like this.
post #16334 of 16830 Old 12-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
turn off your computer if connected to the same network, unplug the DVR+ from power, unplug your modem for a minute or two until you have established a new internet connection with your ISP, then plug in your modem until fully connected, then you can turn on your computer, verify your new internet connection
great, that seems to have done the trick. I happened to have dvr+ on wifi and considered digging out a 50' ethernet cable I have but it's such a hassle I'm glad now I didn't bother since that wouldn't have worked either

thanks!
post #16335 of 16830 Old 12-02-2018, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I would not expect a factory reset to wipe (write 0's and 1's on the entire drive) the hard drive so most of the data will be available to a determined individual.

As you state, it will likely require someone to remove the hard drive and use some sort of recovery tool to see what is on the drive.
post #16336 of 16830 Old 12-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post
I would not expect a factory reset to wipe (write 0's and 1's on the entire drive) the hard drive so most of the data will be available to a determined individual.

As you state, it will likely require someone to remove the hard drive and use some sort of recovery tool to see what is on the drive.
That's why I phrased it around "generally accepted practices". I would also add, as someone who has never streamed with the DVR+, that I don't know how CM and the streaming services identify actual subscribers and their DVR+, i.e. if they use MAC addresses embedded in the device, IP addresses of the subscribers, activation codes, etc. But given the relatively low numbers of DVR+ sales we speculated about a while back, I don't think people cracking open used units to get the sensitive data would be effective in terms of time or money. The more likely route would be to hack CM and/or the streaming service companies to get it in bulk for many customers all at once. The most useful information someone is likely to get from a DVR+ is the names of the programs the user recorded when they had it, and then use the information to blackmail that user. But all things considered, it's good practice to erase and wipe the data from all computers, phones and any device with storage capability before getting rid of it. It would really be embarrassing to sell that smart refrigerator and have someone find out how much beer you drank and how much junk food you ate. And don't get me started on the next generation of smart toilets that will be hitting the market the near future...
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16337 of 16830 Old 12-03-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
The other thing I would try would be to create a Series recording for both episodes from the Guide and see if that makes a difference. You'll have the couple of seconds of gap between them, but at this point you would still come out better than having only 5 minutes of the first episode.

Well oddly enough a recording from the guide did Work. I always thought that a manual recording was the best, so now I know not always. I did just realize that when I set up that manual recording and not have an issue was with the 114r. It was after the install of the 135r because of the end of the Guide that the 5 minute recording started happening.

Thanks Greasemonkey for a good idea.
post #16338 of 16830 Old 12-03-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post

Correct. There is an option to format the HDD when doing a factory reset, but that doesn't wipe the data. If you have the 1TB DVR+ model and wanted to do that, you'd need to pull the HDD from the DVR+ and put it in a PC temporarily, where you could do a secure erase - just be careful to erase the DVR+ drive, not one of your PC's drives!

Kind of a moot point at this late date, but it is another reason why the external HDD model was a better choice for the DVR+.
post #16339 of 16830 Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 496
It is MOOT point from beginning - who would be interesting to dig onto your old OTA recordings ?! What's the goal ? What he will obtain ?
post #16340 of 16830 Old 12-04-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
It is MOOT point from beginning - who would be interesting to dig onto your old OTA recordings ?! What's the goal ? What he will obtain ?

PSMITH,

I agree and was thinking the same are you. I could care less who sees my DVR+ hard drive contents. However I never used it for anything but OTA. I imagine if you used it also for a streaming service like Sling it might store personal information on your drive. Someone else could better answer this. If that is the case then I could see wanting to wipe the hard drive. However I thought there is a small amount internal storage (16 GB?) where this info might be stored? Don't know but that small storage is not available for DVR+ users to access?
post #16341 of 16830 Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
PSMITH,

I agree and was thinking the same are you. I could care less who sees my DVR+ hard drive contents. However I never used it for anything but OTA. I imagine if you used it also for a streaming service like Sling it might store personal information on your drive. Someone else could better answer this. If that is the case then I could see wanting to wipe the hard drive. However I thought there is a small amount internal storage (16 GB?) where this info might be stored? Don't know but that small storage is not available for DVR+ users to access?
For sure the sensitive info [login, etc] stored into NVRAM, not to internal [16GB] nor to HDD ! And the NVRQAM will be _erased_ during Factory Reset.
I see no real factual proof of such WAG so far...
post #16342 of 16830 Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Blackmail and extortion. If someone found out you were among the 6 people who watched the reboot of Murphy Brown it could ruin your career.
post #16343 of 16830 Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
I don't believe anything is stored on the HDD but OTA recordings/metadata, and jokes aside, there's not much OTA content that folks would worry about being caught watching. (I do, though, miss the "good ol' days" when you'd occasionally get some partial nudity on MTV Tr3s during the 10 PM-6 AM "safe harbor.")

OTOH, seeing all your recordings, even just OTA ones, can reveal a lot about your tastes, and some folks prefer not to share that info with whatever random entity happens to buy their DVR+.

For me personally, reformatting the internal HDD would be good enough. If they're willing to go to the trouble of taking the HDD out and running Linux file recovery software, just to find out I liked to record a lot of sci-fi/fantasy shows, then be my guest.

But I try not to question others' choices just because they're different than my own. I'll just tell them what is - and is not - on the HDD and let them decide for themselves.
post #16344 of 16830 Old 12-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed another minor glitch having to do with a Series Recording using the Name Matches criteria. Previously I've noticed this has been limited to NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans, where the latter program will be included with the original show in Series Options despite being a Name Matches recording. But I have also noticed that NCIS New Orleans would be scheduled on its own when it is run in syndication late at night, so the Name Matches criteria does work for this show.

This evening I experienced the same kind of glitch for another program. I have the PBS program "Secrets of the Dead" scheduled as a Series Recording using Name Matches criteria. When I went to clear the History of the day's dummy recordings I noticed that a program titled "Secrets of Spanish Florida" was scheduled to record on Wednesday. Sure enough, it was also on the same PBS channel as "Secrets of the Dead". Not a big deal by any standard, but it occurred to me that Name Matches criteria may only apply to the first few words of a title, while Name Contains criteria may apply to words found within a title. This could mean that the words are contained at the beginning, middle or end of the program title. If correct, Name Matches would also schedule programs such as "Secrets of Blackjack", "Secrets of the Mafia", "Secrets of My Sister's Diary", etc. Name Contains would likewise schedule all programs such as "Learning the Secrets of Blackjack", "Secrets of the Mafia in Bugtussle, Oklahoma", "Yes, I Published on the Internet the Secrets of My Sister's Diary", etc.

Like I said, no big deal but it does provide an insight into how the coder's mind worked when laying out the syntax for how a program would be scheduled.

EDIT: I just looked at the listing for the show in the Guide. The full title is Secrets of Spanish Florida: A Secrets of the Dead Special". While this show is part of the "Secrets of the Dead" franchise, it still shouldn't have popped up on a Name Matches criteria.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 12-10-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #16345 of 16830 Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
EDIT: I just looked at the listing for the show in the Guide. The full title is Secrets of Spanish Florida: A Secrets of the Dead Special". While this show is part of the "Secrets of the Dead" franchise, it still shouldn't have popped up on a Name Matches criteria.
Actually, I think it should. We liked it when the DVR+ recorded the various "Downton Abbey: Behind the Scenes" and related shows.
post #16346 of 16830 Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Actually, I think it should. We liked it when the DVR+ recorded the various "Downton Abbey: Behind the Scenes" and related shows.
I see your point, but wouldn't setting the criteria to Name Contains accomplish exactly what you want? To me, Name Matches implies an exact match. Especially if it was created by clicking on an entry in the Guide.
artisticimaging and JHBrandt like this.
post #16347 of 16830 Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
I had the same issue with "Nature" (exact match, weekly or so) recording the daily 'Nature Cat' cartoon series, both on the PBS Primary channel.

Only solution was to delete "Nature" series, I'm still on 132R (PSIP Schedule) FWIW.

I Suppose a "Manual Repeat" for the time slot will do it too.
Art
post #16348 of 16830 Old 12-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I had the same issue with "Nature" (exact match, weekly or so) recording the daily 'Nature Cat' cartoon series, both on the PBS Primary channel.
I thought there might be some rhyme or reason to the Name Contains criteria picking up on other programs, but this afternoon I had the opposite thing happen. I record the show "America's Test Kitchen", selected from the Guide, all programs, name matches for criteria. But I just saw a listing on Zap2It for a program tonight titled "America's Test Kitchen Special: Home for the Holidays". The DVR+ did not schedule this program, which is the exact opposite of what my experience has been with "NCIS" and your experience with "Nature". Now I am rethinking this being a syntax thing in the coding, and am back to having no idea why the DVR+ does what it does. Gremlins are as good of an explanation as anything else. At least this kind of glitch is only a curiosity and not an actual bug.
post #16349 of 16830 Old 12-18-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would be nightly reboots have rid of the gremlins ?
post #16350 of 16830 Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would be nightly reboots have rid of the gremlins ?
I doubt it. The scheduling of programs with similar names has occurred within 12 hours after I've rebooted the DVR+. The nature of this gremlin seems to be more in how the DVR+ finds and schedules programs, i.e. architecturally, and not rooted in the same nature of problems we've discussed that seem related to memory leaks and other things. That said, who really knows what goes on inside that little box. The other day I actually considered sending an old school letter to E*, asking them if they would consider releasing the code for the DVR+ to the Linux community since it's been discontinued and really isn't doing them any good. Obviously, the chances of them doing that are slim to none. But if they provided a reason for not doing so it could be interesting in and of itself.
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page