Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 546 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4205Likes

post #16351 of 16762 Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Don't want to stray too far off topic, but here is an article that might be of interest to people here:

TV antennas are making a comeback in the age of digital streaming

Here are a couple of pull quotes:

“The market is primed right now,” he said. “We’re trying to capitalize on it as much as we can.” "He" being Joe Bingochea, president of Channel Master.

"Channel Master offers a DVR designed to work with over-the-air antennas, as cord-cutters don’t want to give up the convenience of watching programs on their own schedule and skipping through commercials. The products also enable consumers to stream over-the-air signals to other internet-connected TV sets and digital devices in the home." (presumably referring to the Stream+)

"One industry that is not aggressively promoting this trend is the TV station business, even though broadcasters have been losing audiences to streaming competitors like Netflix. Station ownership groups and the media conglomerates get a cut of pay TV subscriber fees, giving them little incentive to promote over-the-air antenna use."

Some stats from the article:

"This year, 8.1 million over-the-air TV antennas will be delivered to retailers in the U.S., up 2% from last year and 8% over 2016, according to the Consumer Technology Assn.

Nielsen estimates that 13.8% of U.S. homes depend on antennas to get their TV, up from 10.3% in 2014. Research firm GfK North America puts the number of over-the-air TV homes at 16.4 million."

Households with over-the-air digital antennas
2014 - 12.0 Million
2015 - 12.7 Million
2016 - 13.6 Million
2017 - 15.7 Million
2018 - 16.4 Million

The trend is heading in the right direction, so maybe there is hope for a new, true DVR+ replacement in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16352 of 16762 Old 12-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
"Channel Master offers a DVR designed to work with over-the-air antennas, as cord-cutters don’t want to give up the convenience of watching programs on their own schedule and skipping through commercials. The products also enable consumers to stream over-the-air signals to other internet-connected TV sets and digital devices in the home." (presumably referring to the Stream+)

It's been mentioned on the Live Channels beta group, but nothing definitive given yet. Nick did mention unlocking other network streams for the Live Channels DVR so you could use a USB tuner to expand capabilities (or use something like a HD Homerun with the Live Channels free DVR). But I haven't seen anything official or even promised about network capabilities for the Stream+.
post #16353 of 16762 Old 12-29-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
The two best things about OTA are:

1. Free: no subscriptions or fees needed to watch
  2. Unencumbered: No DRM restrictions to keep you from recording, watching at your leisure, and skipping ads

So OTA gives you the best of both worlds: you don't have to pay, and thanks to DVRs, you don't have to suffer through ads very much either.

OTA used to have other advantages too, such as better PQ. In many markets, that's no longer true; but as long as the first two things remain true, there will always be a market for DVRs.

I hope the rumors about Live Channels are true (although it may weaken the Stream+'s one big advantage: its two built-in TV tuners, since it would mean other LC platforms such as Nvidia's Shield could become free DVRs too). I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not looking forward to throwing out my DVR+, DTVPals, and AirTV once ATSC 1.0 is on its way out. I realize we still have many years to go, but I'll consider how "future-proof" anything that replaces those things is, and this LC enhancement would let a Stream+ or a Shield accept an ATSC 3.0 tuner when the time comes. May not do 4K, but 1080p still looks pretty darn good.
Quote:
"The products also enable consumers to stream over-the-air signals to other internet-connected TV sets and digital devices in the home." (presumably referring to the Stream+)
I'm not sure what that quote's referring to. The Stream+ doesn't let you do that; it sounds more like a network tuner like the HDHR, Tablo, AirTV black box, or Amazon Recast. Makes me wonder if CM has something like that in the works, perhaps to work with the Stream+ once LC is upgraded....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-29-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16354 of 16762 Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I hope the rumors about Live Channels are true (although it may weaken the Stream+'s one big advantage: its two built-in TV tuners, since it would mean other LC platforms such as Nvidia's Shield could become free DVRs too)..
I may be missing something ... but the Shield has been a DVR for almost 2 years now. Currently it can use either Hauppauge usb tuner or the HDHomeRun. It's why when the Stream+ came out I was surprised people were caught unawares on how it was going to work. Live Channels recording wasn't a new thing and it had been available to the Shield for a while.

Quote:
In many markets, that's no longer true; but as long as the first two things remain true, there will always be a market for DVRs
On an interesting side note: CordCutters News (who I typically treat their 'stories' with a grain of salt -- they're a little too chummy financially with pay-TV OTT providers for my comfort) had their end-of-year survey results. Part of the results was:

Once again, for the second year in a row, most of our readers who have an antenna didn’t use a DVR to record content.
In a world that moves to streaming more and more each day - the whole recording content may not disappear, but it's market may be more a niche market in increasing numbers. Perhaps the recast will help change the perception, I'm not sure. In my only real-world experience, the family that I gifted my TiVo to when I switched to a Plex-based system hasn't even turned it on, I don't think, in months. Absolutely nobody is using it to record anything anymore. The kids in the household don't use it. My friend's wife initially was using it for DWTS -- but now doesn't use it for even that since discovering the convenience of being able to watch it on Hulu through her tablet.

2nd side note: I gifted myself a new Shield during Christmas - finally moving my main Plex server to be handled by the Shield. Does the job every bit as well as the old laptop I was using for Plex. Now -- to work on getting that NAS setup for next Christmas. :-)
post #16355 of 16762 Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what that quote's referring to. The Stream+ doesn't let you do that; it sounds more like a network tuner like the HDHR, Tablo, AirTV black box, or Amazon Recast. Makes me wonder if CM has something like that in the works, perhaps to work with the Stream+ once LC is upgraded....
If CM does come out with something, I hope it would also work as a standalone DVR in addition to working with the Stream+. A lot to hope for, I know...
post #16356 of 16762 Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just noticed that my manual recordings stop appearing in the schedule at 11:30PM on Monday night. That must mean the end of the year is just around the corner...
post #16357 of 16762 Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I just noticed that my manual recordings stop appearing in the schedule at 11:30PM on Monday night. That must mean the end of the year is just around the corner...
I've been noticing this too, but now that it's a new year, they still don't seem to be working.
post #16358 of 16762 Old 01-01-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In past years, it's taken a day or two for the DVR+ to get back on its feet.
pachinko likes this.
post #16359 of 16762 Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
I've been noticing this too, but now that it's a new year, they still don't seem to be working.
Quote:
In past years, it's taken a day or two for the DVR+ to get back on its feet.
My morning manual recordings came back just after 6:00PM this evening, though the evening manual recordings won't reappear until tomorrow morning. This also reminded me of the "Imitation New Year's bug test" that @pachinko ran two years ago. The thread can be read here:

Imitation New Year's bug test

Yeah, good times...
JHBrandt, pachinko and skypirate like this.
post #16360 of 16762 Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymich View Post
I would try calling and ask for an engineer and not be to specific about what you want to talk about. Maybe just mention a signal issue. Then have the conversation about PSIP. We have our engineering department's email address on our web site so viewers can write us with questions and issues.
I know I am late in viewing and responding to this quote, but I have e-mailed several of my local stations about adding additional PSIP guide date. Several of them have added up to 72 hours of guide data and some from 8 hours to 36 hours (they told me due to bandwidth limitations the signal starts to degrade if they broadcast more because they have several HD stations (28.1, 28.2, 28.3, 28.4) using the same bandwidth).

Also, when I first started dealing with this problem I realized that it does take some time for the PSIP data to load into the DVR+. I would go to a channel and press the guide button and move to the first UNKNOWN EVENT. I would stay there for up to 5 minutes sometimes and then move to the right and BOOM...there is more guide data.

By having this extra guide data, it has really changed my ability to more successfully use my DVR+ with [EDITED TO SHOW PROPER 114R VERSION...thanks HELPFUL!] 114R firmware.
P Smith and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by SeattleSounder; 01-11-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #16361 of 16762 Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
... DVR+ with 14R firmware.
… error, wrong version
post #16362 of 16762 Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
… error, wrong version
REALLY? That's all you got to say??? Thanks for the obvious typo quote, HELPFUL!
post #16363 of 16762 Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:

I purchased my first DVR+ when they first were available. A couple of months ago I purchased a second used DVR+ that has a 2017 manufacture date on it. I keep thinking that the picture clarity of the 2017 manufactured DVR+ is not as good as the clarity of my original DVR+. Does anyone know if they changed tuners or any hardware for that matter that would make a newer DVR+ not as clear as an original DVR+???

Also how about signal quality...do users see a difference in signal strength/quality from one make of DVR+ to the next? I know that the DVR+ tuner is not as good as my Samsung TV tuner, but I was wondering if people have seen a difference in signal quality between DVR+ models manufactured in different years.

First DVR+ = 114R
Second DVR+ = 132R

Last edited by SeattleSounder; 01-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #16364 of 16762 Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if they changed tuners or any hardware for that matter that would make a newer DVR+ not as clear as an original DVR+???

First DVR+ = 114R
Second DVR+ = 132R
nope, no HW changes, it's the same model... may be you're watching on different TVs ?
post #16365 of 16762 Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
REALLY? That's all you got to say??? Thanks for the obvious typo quote, HELPFUL!
Well, you are good guy for sure, as you did push stations for great improvement in your local PSIP info for all viewers around.
post #16366 of 16762 Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Just wanted to make a quick comment about the remote control. I was getting pi$$ed a lot about my remote not working correctly. The FF worked intermittently. Also, I would FF and when I overshot I would press reverse. It would then sometimes return to the beginning of the program. Very annoying.

Yesterday I decided to take the remote apart. It pops apart after removing two screws. There are three pieces. A circuit board, a clear plastic separator and the keypad. Mine had grease or the like over the areas of the play, FF, and reverse button. I cleaned the board with alcohol along with the keypad. It is working fine now.
artisticimaging and Culpepper like this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #16367 of 16762 Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yesterday I decided to take the remote apart. It pops apart after removing two screws. There are three pieces. A circuit board, a clear plastic separator and the keypad. Mine had grease or the like over the areas of the play, FF, and reverse button. I cleaned the board with alcohol along with the keypad. It is working fine now.
Flat or peanut remote?
post #16368 of 16762 Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM

I think this is the peanut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81DBtiFstiL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	2510920  

post #16369 of 16762 Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone else have the issue that sometimes the program description for the show you're viewing comes up as the program that was preceding it on the schedule? Is this because I have the unit set to start recording a minute earlier than when the program begins?
Paul210 likes this.
post #16370 of 16762 Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Anyone else have the issue that sometimes the program description for the show you're viewing comes up as the program that was preceding it on the schedule? Is this because I have the unit set to start recording a minute earlier than when the program begins?
I see that sometimes, but when I play the recording the description seems to magically correct itself within the first couple minutes of playing the recording.

I also sometimes click on info in the guide and see the program information change from a program description to no information available in a fraction of a second. I thought this may be due to the DVR reading a difference in the program data found through the internet and the PSIP data.

Neither "problem" seemed to bother me, as both were infrequent.

post #16371 of 16762 Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I see that sometimes, but when I play the recording the description seems to magically correct itself within the first couple minutes of playing the recording.

I also sometimes click on info in the guide and see the program information change from a program description to no information available in a fraction of a second. I thought this may be due to the DVR reading a difference in the program data found through the internet and the PSIP data.

Neither "problem" seemed to bother me, as both were infrequent.

It's a matter of a design of metadata storing to HDD/int storage after parsing PSIP info; it's the same as TR-50 [aka DTVpalDVR/CM7000-DVR]. Structures of the metadata/files was published here by myself, pachinko and others.
post #16372 of 16762 Old 01-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Just wanted to make a quick comment about the remote control. I was getting pi$$ed a lot about my remote not working correctly. The FF worked intermittently. Also, I would FF and when I overshot I would press reverse. It would then sometimes return to the beginning of the program. Very annoying.

I'm having the same problem. However, I'm trying to pop my peanut remote open and it just won't seem to give. Any tips? The two screws are out, the batteries are out, and I can get a little daylight at the bottom of the remote, but the plastic piece on the side seems to be a latch and I can't get that to budge much.
post #16373 of 16762 Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Marcin View Post
I'm having the same problem. However, I'm trying to pop my peanut remote open and it just won't seem to give. Any tips? The two screws are out, the batteries are out, and I can get a little daylight at the bottom of the remote, but the plastic piece on the side seems to be a latch and I can't get that to budge much.
The plastic piece on the side doesn't do anything. Just pry in the small gap on the side of the remote all the way around. It is kind of a pain, but it eventually pops apart.

Last edited by Ericglo; 01-19-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #16374 of 16762 Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The plastic piece on the side doesn't do anything. Just pry in the gap on the side all the way around. It is kind of a pain, but it eventually pops apart.

OH my WORD. I used a screwdriver to put what seemed like excessive pressure on it, reassured that you said it would work, and it did. Then I wiped off all that slime and it is working perfectly. This is a whole new way to watch. Thank you!
Ericglo likes this.
post #16375 of 16762 Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Marcin View Post
OH my WORD. I used a screwdriver to put what seemed like excessive pressure on it, reassured that you said it would work, and it did. Then I wiped off all that slime and it is working perfectly. This is a whole new way to watch. Thank you!
Good to hear. For those that haven't done it. the top of the remote fits into the bottom half of the remote.

Unfortunately, I am still having the overshoot problem. I wonder if it may be related to the hard drive.

post #16376 of 16762 Old 01-22-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Well, you are good guy for sure, as you did push stations for great improvement in your local PSIP info for all viewers around.
Thanks P Smith, but I don't seem to be getting as far as I'd like to or think I should be able to. It looks like all of the stations are trying to stretch their bandwidth to the max and the PSIP data is the first thing to be dropped (which I suppose makes sense because I'd rather be able to see the channel first and then know what's coming up on it).
post #16377 of 16762 Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Another topic that may have already been brought up / answered:

I've been thinking about activating my Channel Master TV channels with my new DVR+ using 135R. Before I give CM all of my personal information, I have a couple of questions:

1) What channels do I get if I activate Channel Master TV?

2) Is it worth it to give them all of my personal info to get these channels?

3) Can I record these Internet channels with the DVR+

4) Anything else I should know / be warned about it?

Thanks
post #16378 of 16762 Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like all of the stations are trying to stretch their bandwidth to the max and the PSIP data is the first thing to be dropped (which I suppose makes sense because I'd rather be able to see the channel first and then know what's coming up on it).
It's the very definition of "penny wise; pound foolish" though. The stations have 19.39 Mb/s of data to play with and the first place they cut is the .01 Mb/s needed by a longer program guide? Yeah, people are really gonna notice that
Quote:
I've been thinking about activating my Channel Master TV channels with my new DVR+ using 135R. Before I give CM all of my personal information, I have a couple of questions:

1) What channels do I get if I activate Channel Master TV? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...l#post38160689

2) Is it worth it to give them all of my personal info to get these channels? Well, I hope you're not volunteering all your personal info - you're not applying for a security clearance - but you do have to provide name, address, email, and I think phone. Is it worth it? IMO, no; at least not any more. Take a look at all the crossed-out channels on my list. Some of those were worth it at the time, but as you can see, not much worth watching is left. (To be fair, there are services that will provide masked email addresses and phone numbers that you can painlessly delete if CM abuses them, so you can sign up without giving them your "real" info if you really want to.)

3) Can I record these Internet channels with the DVR+? No. You don't even get a program guide!

4) Anything else I should know / be warned about it? Not really. It actually works, and it's free, if you happen to like the meager channel offerings.
At this point I think the whole problem with CMTV is that it's only offered on the DVR+, which of course has been discontinued. If CMTV were also offered on, say, the Stream+, there would be some chance of picking up some new, more interesting channels. But I've seen no evidence that CM plans to bring CMTV to any other platform.
post #16379 of 16762 Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Another topic that may have already been brought up / answered:

1) What channels do I get if I activate Channel Master TV?

2) Is it worth it to give them all of my personal info to get these channels?

3) Can I record these Internet channels with the DVR+

4) Anything else I should know / be warned about it?

Thanks

I think we all have it turned off. When I turned it off, it had Bloomberg and RT News. Maybe one or two foreign news outlets too like a 24 hour news channel from France. I vaguely remember a combo fishing/cooking channel with bad production standards.

It was mostly bad streams from websites like you can get using Pluto on a Roku or Fire TV stick. In my opinion not worth the time or effort at all. And if the content were to your liking, you can't record it anyway.
post #16380 of 16762 Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks P Smith, but I don't seem to be getting as far as I'd like to or think I should be able to. It looks like all of the stations are trying to stretch their bandwidth to the max and the PSIP data is the first thing to be dropped (which I suppose makes sense because I'd rather be able to see the channel first and then know what's coming up on it).
It's common misconception what stations shamelessly employ now - PSIP data taking less then 100 Kbps and spooling periodically, not all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page