Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 551 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #16501 of 16599 Old 04-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Howdy again. Reboot of router did not work. Changing router cable did not work. I could watch the hard wire connections status go from internet disconnected to connected on router reboot.

I was able to activate CMTV, which I think confirms that my internet connection is OK. But when I try to refresh the guide, there is no improvement and the refresh date under STB Health does not change.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16502 of 16599 Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
try zip 00000 and your nearest and far one
post #16503 of 16599 Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmckin View Post
Howdy again. Reboot of router did not work. Changing router cable did not work. I could watch the hard wire connections status go from internet disconnected to connected on router reboot.

I was able to activate CMTV, which I think confirms that my internet connection is OK. But when I try to refresh the guide, there is no improvement and the refresh date under STB Health does not change.

Any suggestions?
Did you input your Zip Code into the Time and Date menu under Settings? If you have and it didn't work try other Zip Codes from around the country and different time zones. Sometimes problems with the Internet guide have been Zip Code specific, and trying different Zip Codes will help determine if the problem is with your DVR+ or the guide service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16504 of 16599 Old 04-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hooray!!

The second time I changed the zip code to another one in the same local area, the STB update time changed. Leaving the guide for a while to update got me 11 days worth of programming.

Thanks!!
post #16505 of 16599 Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'm noticing an apparent, unexpected benefit from the repack/channel sharing that is taking place here. The responsibilities for maintaining PSIP data seems to be consolidated as well, so I may be able to eliminate some of the dummy programs as a result. It is still too early to tell, but I've noticed that channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the Guide get populated with programming information after I change to a channel I believe them to be sharing. I won't kill off any dummy programs just yet, but will keep an eye on this. Every dummy program takes a slot from the 55 maximum recording limit that can be used for a real program. It doesn't really affect my Series programs, but it sometimes blocks me from one time recordings that I want so the more I can eliminate, the better.
post #16506 of 16599 Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
You're right. (In DFW's case, the channel sharing is due to ATSC 3.0, not repacking, but that doesn't matter. At any rate, we may soon get similar results on some LPTV stations as a result of repacking.)

This info is DFW specific, but similar considerations apply in other markets with channel sharing: you now need only two dummy recordings where you previously needed three. Specifically, you need one dummy recording on an RF 23 channel and one on an RF 46 channel. The RF 23 channels are 23.1 through 23.3, 49.1, and 49.3; the RF 46 channels are 23.4, 47.1 through 47.5, and 49.2. A dummy recording of one channel in each "set" should populate the PSIP guides for all of those channels.

I posted about another, related upside on the iView thread. (It's specific to the iView, though, and doesn't apply to the DVR+.)

Unfortunately there's a downside too: a drop in picture quality. In DFW, 23.1 and 49.1 used to be 1080i but both are now 720p, the better to fit two HD and three SD channels onto one frequency. Presumably the only way to get the former 1080i broadcasts would be with an ATSC 3.0 tuner (which doesn't even exist for the US yet).
post #16507 of 16599 Old 04-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This info is DFW specific, but similar considerations apply in other markets with channel sharing: you now need only two dummy recordings where you previously needed three. Specifically, you need one dummy recording on an RF 23 channel and one on an RF 46 channel. The RF 23 channels are 23.1 through 23.3, 49.1, and 49.3; the RF 46 channels are 23.4, 47.1 through 47.5, and 49.2. A dummy recording of one channel in each "set" should populate the PSIP guides for all of those channels.
And because of my location, there is an added bit of weirdness for me. In the channel set for 23 I get channels 23.1 - 23.4 (KUVN-DT), but also get channels 23.11 - 23.14 (KUVN-CD), which is a duplicate set. I always thought the KUVN-CD series was coming off a translator/repeater antenna on the roof of a downtown Fort Worth building. But according to both Wikipedia and the FCC, KUVN-CD is a Class A station using RF 47 and virtual channel 47 (even though it displays as 23) and broadcasting off a downtown Fort Worth building--at a whopping .19kW. I've always hidden this set of channels, even though the reception is good though if it let me kill off another dummy recording or two I would unhide them. In any case, despite the lower picture quality I am sort of looking forward to the next round of sharing (06/21/19?) to see what other dummy recordings I can eliminate.
post #16508 of 16599 Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

This is one of those stories that gives me hope for a true DVR+ replacement in the near future. It's a little OT, but since things have been slow I'm going to pull the trigger on it. Seems young people are now turning to OTA TV to escape cable bills. Some of the stats are pretty interesting. Young people seem to be more into antenna TV than people in the 65-74 age bracket. Also, people seem to be combining OTA TV with streaming services, which to me bodes well for OTA TV in the future. Overall, 31% of homes had an antenna hooked up to at least one TV, and OTA is at it's highest level since 2005:

Young TV viewers turn to antennae to escape cable’s insane prices
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16509 of 16599 Old 05-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 205
My TV has built in streaming apps. Most newer TV have built in apps. Overall the DVR+ with the built in apps on the TV are an excellent combination in my situation.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16510 of 16599 Old 05-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
My TV has built in streaming apps. Most newer TV have built in apps. Overall the DVR+ with the built in apps on the TV are an excellent combination in my situation.
The problem with many of the built in apps on TVs are that they never get updated. Some of the apps on my TV no longer work and many of them are very sluggish now. Of course, I tend to keep electronics for a long time.
post #16511 of 16599 Old 05-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
This is one of those stories that gives me hope for a true DVR+ replacement in the near future. It's a little OT, but since things have been slow I'm going to pull the trigger on it. Seems young people are now turning to OTA TV to escape cable bills. Some of the stats are pretty interesting. Young people seem to be more into antenna TV than people in the 65-74 age bracket. Also, people seem to be combining OTA TV with streaming services, which to me bodes well for OTA TV in the future. Overall, 31% of homes had an antenna hooked up to at least one TV, and OTA is at it's highest level since 2005:

Young TV viewers turn to antennae to escape cable’s insane prices
FYI --

JHBrandt created the "former owner's" thread for exactly those kinds of conversations:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...rs-thread.html

Since there won't be any "new" owners anymore (just "old" owners and "reused" owners ), then a replacement is on the horizon for all of us.

Scott

Last edited by 645824; 05-04-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #16512 of 16599 Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
link doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
FYI --

JHBrandt created the "former owner's" thread for exactly those kinds of conversations:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-channel-master-dvr-users-thread.html
Since there won't be any "new" owners anymore (just "old" owners and "reused" owners ), then a replacement is on the horizon for all of us.

Scott

Link goes here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php
post #16513 of 16599 Old 05-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
Oops, thanks. The URL parse-o-matic had a problem with the URL. I've edited it, and post 16511 now has the correct link.

But here it is again:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...rs-thread.html

Thanks,

Scott
anant likes this.
post #16514 of 16599 Old 05-04-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
... a replacement is on the horizon for all of us.
Yes, although the horizon may be more distant for some of us and nearer for others.

I still use my DVR+, although not as much as I used to. So strictly speaking, I haven't replaced it; it's just become one of several tools in my video toolbox. If something happens to it, I'll be disappointed, but I can move my recordings to a PC and/or iView with the help of DVR+ Lister, so it won't be a huge blow to my TV watching.
post #16515 of 16599 Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes, although the horizon may be more distant for some of us and nearer for others.

I still use my DVR+, although not as much as I used to. So strictly speaking, I haven't replaced it; it's just become one of several tools in my video toolbox. If something happens to it, I'll be disappointed, but I can move my recordings to a PC and/or iView with the help of DVR+ Lister, so it won't be a huge blow to my TV watching.
Has anyone come up with a "Lister" for the CM Stream+ yet? I recall reading posts about some attempts to do so quite a while back.
post #16516 of 16599 Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't seen any discussion of that on the Stream+ thread lately. You might ask over there just to see if there's still interest, but I sort of got the impression that anyone who needed to export recordings just found another solution, such as an iView or Amazon Recast, that makes that reasonably easy to do.
post #16517 of 16599 Old 05-11-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My DVR+ has gone berserk over the last couple of days. Everytime I turn the HDTV on, the DVR+ is going through a reset that I didn't ask for. At first I thought that maybe there had been a power failure or surge, but not every couple of hours and nothing else in the house seemed to be affected. I tried a total custom reset this evening and it seems to have run for 3 hours without a reset. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #16518 of 16599 Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
My DVR+ has gone berserk over the last couple of days. Everytime I turn the HDTV on, the DVR+ is going through a reset that I didn't ask for. At first I thought that maybe there had been a power failure or surge, but not every couple of hours and nothing else in the house seemed to be affected. I tried a total custom reset this evening and it seems to have run for 3 hours without a reset. Has anyone else experienced this?
What are the specifics of the "reset" you describe? If it is the behavior that it goes through when you cut power and it reboots it sounds like the power to your DVR+ is being interrupted. And if it is doing that, it sounds like your power supply might be crapping out on you.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16519 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are the specifics of the "reset" you describe? If it is the behavior that it goes through when you cut power and it reboots it sounds like the power to your DVR+ is being interrupted. And if it is doing that, it sounds like your power supply might be crapping out on you.
I think you are on to something. As of this morning, the unit is dead! Even the indicator light is now dark. I wonder if Channel Master sells a replacement power cord at a decent price?
post #16520 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think you are on to something. As of this morning, the unit is dead! Even the indicator light is now dark. I wonder if Channel Master sells a replacement power cord at a decent price?
Channel Master might not be selling them any more, but this comment by @JHBrandt should give you some hope:
Quote:
If that ever happens for real, there is some good news: the DVR+ power supply is a rather common brick. I have a HDD dock that uses the same kind: same voltage, same current, and same connector! So the PS could probably be found at Amazon.com and replaced without having to buy another whole used DVR+.

post #16521 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This one looks like it would work: https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Power-S.../dp/B01461MOGQ

It comes with an adapter for an LED strip, which of course you won't need.
post #16522 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
So, I think I've discovered my problem. The CM DVR+ was plugged into a power strip and someone in the house here must have changed it from a non-switched outlet to a switched outlet on the strip. The unit's power setting was set to 4 hours of inactivity. I guess the power strip was smart enough to not cut the power as long as it was drawing it for that 4 hours. But effectively, when I turned off the TV, the 4 hour countdown started. Thus, I'd come back the next day and the DVR+ was powerless and would start up when the TV was turned on. I couldn't figure this out because if I just turned off the TV, then turned it back on, the DVR+ was still powered, but I guess that was because it was within a few minutes rather than 4 hours. Anyhow, I moved the DVR+ to a non-switched outlet on the strip and so far, so good. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the power cord though.
pachinko likes this.
post #16523 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The CM DVR+ was plugged into a power strip and someone in the house here must have changed it from a non-switched outlet to a switched outlet on the strip.
"Someone", huh? Sounds like you're the victim of a conspiracy...
pachinko likes this.
post #16524 of 16599 Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
or just showing your age memory fading, duh, sometimes ...
post #16525 of 16599 Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Yes "one of several tools in my video toolbox," fits well with my use of the DVR+. I bought it for my wife to use, and she has moved on to DIRECTV Now, so I hooked it into my theater system. I use it to record a few daily news programs and a couple of other shows like FBI and The Orville. After watching, I erase.

I have a Roku that I use for Acorn, Met Opera, Netflix, PBS, Amazon Prime, etc. For me the DVR+ is very good at doing one thing and works well with my separate component philosophy.

When I dropped DIRECTV Satellite service, I used the wiring plus some extra to activate six TVs around the house to OTA. Each tv also has either a Roku or smart capability.

I have been contemplating using the input wiring from the DIRECTV dish to hook up a second antenna. I see Channel Master has a mixer to joint two antennas. I am not sure what I would gain from this action, but I may do it because I can.
JHBrandt likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #16526 of 16599 Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Be careful joining two antennas. It can work, but results are often disappointing.

You might post a thread in the Technical forum first: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical. Make sure to put your city & state in the thread title, a link to your TVFool.com report in your post, and explain what stations you're trying to get (or to get better) by joining two antennas. A lot of folks will be able to help you select antennas and a joiner (which could be Channel Master's or another device, depending on what stations are involved).
Alanlee likes this.
post #16527 of 16599 Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
55 is too low a limit on highways, AND for DVR+ recording slots!

Quote:
Every dummy program takes a slot from the 55 maximum recording limit....
I knew it was a finite number, but until now I didn't know the exact limit (I only made it thru half of the historical posts).
That limit is making my DVR+ life harder lately - I go to set a recording and I get that "maximum number of recordings has been reached..." message.
To make matters worse, I have some recordings set that I'd like to get rid of, to free up some of those 55 slots, if only I knew they existed!
But some of the shows I've set to record in the past are off the air or off-season, like "911" on FOX, which ended its season this week.
So, even if I go to Menu/DVR/Schedule and go thru the next two weeks, I'll never see "911" on the schedule, so I can't choose the "Delete the Series" option to clear it out!
How does one clear pending recordings, if they don't appear on the "Schedule" listing?
JHBrandt likes this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #16528 of 16599 Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
But some of the shows I've set to record in the past are off the air or off-season, like "911" on FOX, which ended its season this week.
So, even if I go to Menu/DVR/Schedule and go thru the next two weeks, I'll never see "911" on the schedule, so I can't choose the "Delete the Series" option to clear it out!
How does one clear pending recordings, if they don't appear on the "Schedule" listing?
To delete 911 just go:
menu
dvr
series options
highlight 911
delete the series.

JHBrandt likes this.
post #16529 of 16599 Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"series options"...of course!

Silly me - it had been so long since I looked at that screen, that I forgot about it - thanks!
I just went there and deleted not only 911, but also "Crazy Ex-girlfriend", "The Last Man on Earth", "American Crime", "Wayward Pines", "The Crossing", "Manifest" and "Timeless".
Remember them?

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #16530 of 16599 Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
I just went there and deleted not only 911, but also "Crazy Ex-girlfriend", "The Last Man on Earth", "American Crime", "Wayward Pines", "The Crossing", "Manifest" and "Timeless".
Remember them?
Keep in mind that "Manifest" is coming back for a new season. So you will have to watch for the new season promos if you want to add it back when it gets in range for your Guide. I have to do a lot of juggling that way to get all the shows I want to see listed as a Series recording. With 22 dummy recordings taking up space it's kind of a PITA, but manageable. I've also noticed that when I delete a Series, the History populates with entries, some going back several months. For some reason, record dates seem to be linked to the Series Recording entry as well as the History.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page