Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 552 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4164Likes

post #16531 of 16585 Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello All,

Since ChannelMaster is no longer supporting or updating the DVR+, I'd like to experiment with improving the firmware myself. Has anyone here perhaps already done any work along these lines?

Some things I'd like to tweak:

- Replace the old YouTube, Pandora clients
- Make the paused video progress bar disappear a few seconds after video is paused. As it is now, the paused video bar stays up, blocking the image at the bottom of the screen.
- TBD - I may be able to improve other interface settings.

I've downloaded the latest firmware .str file from CM. Any suggestions on how to open it? I copied and renamed to .txt, but a text editor reveals only compiled code.

Thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 16585 Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr+hacker View Post
Hello All,

Since ChannelMaster is no longer supporting or updating the DVR+, I'd like to experiment with improving the firmware myself. Has anyone here perhaps already done any work along these lines?

Some things I'd like to tweak:

- Replace the old YouTube, Pandora clients
- Make the paused video progress bar disappear a few seconds after video is paused. As it is now, the paused video bar stays up, blocking the image at the bottom of the screen.
- TBD - I may be able to improve other interface settings.

I've downloaded the latest firmware .str file from CM. Any suggestions on how to open it? I copied and renamed to .txt, but a text editor reveals only compiled code.

Thanks for any suggestions
Oh please fix the progress bar it is the most annoying thing I cannot believe they left it this way. If I was going to buy a Stream+ I would have to find out if they have the super annoying progress bar.
post #16533 of 16585 Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
The paused video bar will disappear if you hit the back button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16534 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Annoying, but a workaround is available. I'd rather see resources devoted elsewhere..

Yup, I've gotten into the habit of hitting the "back" button immediately after I:

- start viewing a recorded program
- go into or come out of pause
- fast-forward, especially at 2x speed - by removing the progress bar at 2x speed, the closed captions appear, allowing me to go thru some shows in half the time

And related to that last point, what I'd really like to see, even more than a shorter-lasting progress bar, is the ability to watch recordings at 1.4x or 1.6x , or even 2x speed, with the sound pitch maintained at the normal level.

It's already offered on at least one other competing DVR product (they call it "QuickMode").
I sure would use the heck out of that feature if I had it on my DVR+.
pilotart likes this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #16535 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Richart: Well I'll be danged! That's been bugging me for years -- and such a simple work-around! Is that documented by CM, or did you stumble across it by accident? If it's documented, I'd sure like to see the rest of the list of "secret" remote functions.

LensClock: I'll put that on my list. And with Richart's info, yours just moved up
post #16536 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Richart: Well I'll be danged! That's been bugging me for years -- and such a simple work-around! Is that documented by CM, or did you stumble across it by accident? If it's documented, I'd sure like to see the rest of the list of "secret" remote functions.
I have never seen it documented anywhere. I just tried it once and it worked.
post #16537 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
... by removing the progress bar at 2x speed, the closed captions appear, allowing me to go thru some shows in half the time
Cool! Nice undocumented feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
And related to that last point, what I'd really like to see, even more than a shorter-lasting progress bar, is the ability to watch recordings at 1.4x or 1.6x , or even 2x speed, with the sound pitch maintained at the normal level.
The video player in the Firefox browser has a feature like that: you can go at 1.25x or 1.5x without losing the sound (and without making it sound like everyone's on helium). I've used 1.25x to get through 1-hour videos in 48 minutes. At 1.5x it starts to be really hard to follow the dialog, and it only saves 8 more minutes per hour vs. 1.25x; it might work for "suspense" dramas where there's little dialog though.

Anyway, point being, it should be doable. At one time there was reportedly a bug in one of the HomeWorx DVR's firmware that let you do it at 2x. Unfortunately they "fixed" it in the current HomeWorxes. Sometimes folks don't realize when they've discovered a "feature"
post #16538 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 501
My now ancient VCR/DVD Recorder (see sig) has a 1.3X "fast" playback and audio tone is normal, they just talk 30% faster.

Besides [back], my DVR+'s pause/fast progress bar also disappears after [exit], [info], [guide] and [DVR] button use or after ten seconds from a [jump].
Art
post #16539 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A while back, I mentioned that my DVR+ keeps losing channel 7 here in DC (RF = 7 as well as Virtual Channel 7). A manual scan doesn't do the trick of adding it back because even though the unit detects and shows some signal strength, it won't show the signal quality and add the channel and its sub channels. I know the problem is with the DVR+ because I split the antenna signal between it and the Samsung HDTV and the TV receives the channel just fine. I thought I was able to get it back a few times before, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think I had to do a total rescan or a reset, but now that does not seem to work either. Has anyone else had an issue with the DVR+ just outright losing a channel from its channel list and refusing to put it in with a manual scan and obvious signal strength?

And regarding a reset... I noticed that the default setting for the Power Options is 4 hours once you do a reset. Can anyone explain why on earth that would be the default? Why would you ever want the DVR+ to just automatically power off if you've got programs set to record?
post #16540 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
And regarding a reset... I noticed that the default setting for the Power Options is 4 hours once you do a reset. Can anyone explain why on earth that would be the default? Why would you ever want the DVR+ to just automatically power off if you've got programs set to record?
When you "turn the power off", the DVR+ doesn't really turn off. It just goes into quiescent mode. That's when the front LED is dim blue. Or dim red if it's recording something. Recordings still occur in this mode. The only way to really power down the DVR+ is to disconnect the power cable.
pachinko likes this.
post #16541 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

The DVR+ will power on automatically to record a pre-set recording, then power down afterwards.
I wish it had more options - 6 Hours is the max other than "off".

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16542 of 16585 Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
A while back, I mentioned that my DVR+ keeps losing channel 7 here in DC (RF = 7 as well as Virtual Channel 7). A manual scan doesn't do the trick of adding it back because even though the unit detects and shows some signal strength, it won't show the signal quality and add the channel and its sub channels. I know the problem is with the DVR+ because I split the antenna signal between it and the Samsung HDTV and the TV receives the channel just fine. I thought I was able to get it back a few times before, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think I had to do a total rescan or a reset, but now that does not seem to work either. Has anyone else had an issue with the DVR+ just outright losing a channel from its channel list and refusing to put it in with a manual scan and obvious signal strength?
Unfortunately, a bunch of folks have had this issue. The signal strength is fine, but the quality is zero and it won't scan in. Occasionally it may clear up long enough to scan in, but it's usually not watchable.

It's almost always due to multipath interference. Other tuners often handle the same signal just fine, but the DVR+'s tuners are completely stymied. And the problem often manifests itself in springtime, when trees start leafing out and weakening the direct signal relative to reflections.

Unfortunately the only known fix (other than replacing the DVR+) is to reorient, or even to replace, the antenna; which seems ridiculous when your other tuners are OK with things as they are.
Quote:
As Arenal04 noted, it actually goes into standby will still record your programs. But it does save a little power to shut down the HDMI and digital audio outputs, and to stop buffering live TV.
post #16543 of 16585 Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Last night I found out why one of my recordings about 10 months ago started 20 minutes late. Last night at 7:02 pm I noticed that the red light was not on and it was schedule to record AGT from 7 - 9. So I turned on the DVR + and noticed that the time was 22 minutes off. So I tuned the channel and pressed record, nothing happened, so I went to the time setting, but it would not let me change the time unless I changed the time zone. Then it started to record. After setting back to the correct time zone it still had the wrong time 22 minutes.

This morning I checked it and it had the correct time so I did a warm boot anyway.
post #16544 of 16585 Old 05-30-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
gremlins ...
post #16545 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
So I turned on the DVR + and noticed that the time was 22 minutes off. So I tuned the channel and pressed record, nothing happened, so I went to the time setting, but it would not let me change the time unless I changed the time zone. Then it started to record. After setting back to the correct time zone it still had the wrong time 22 minutes.
sure am glad you posted that just a few days ago a daily recorded show kept starting a few minutes in and wasn't sure why since it was fine up until then. happened to see your post, changed to a neighboring zip code and while iirc it didn't correct the time on the spot, it was the correct time by the next morning. or maybe the correct time after a guide update with the new zip code, don't remember.

Last edited by ej_eddie; 05-31-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #16546 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
sure am glad you posted that just a few days ago a daily recorded show kept starting a few minutes in and wasn't sure why since it was fine up until then. happened to see your post, changed to a neighboring zip code and while iirc it didn't correct the time on the spot, it was the correct time by the next morning. or maybe the correct time after a guide update with the new zip code, don't remember.
Funny thing one of the things I checked in trying to get it to start recording was the time of the last guide update and it said that it had update 2 hours before this happened. Try doing a warm boot.
post #16547 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Try doing a warm boot.
looks like I'll have to or pull the psu out of the wall for a few minutes, did a guide update prior to my post above and now hours later it's again 5 minutes behind the wall clock

weird, I've been using 135r for a few months now and never had this trouble before, hard to believe the apparent bug in this fw can take that long before manifesting (for me) the first time.
post #16548 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
looks like I'll have to or pull the psu out of the wall for a few minutes, did a guide update prior to my post above and now hours later it's again 5 minutes behind the wall clock

weird, I've been using 135r for a few months now and never had this trouble before, hard to believe the apparent bug in this fw can take that long before manifesting (for me) the first time.
I think we've seen this happen before, and if not here, most certainly in the DTVPalDVR thread. The "bug" is probably caused by one of your local stations sending out the wrong time information. Find the culprit and ask them to correct it.

post #16549 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quick answer

Tune your DVR+ to the local PBS station when you're not actually using it.. They are pretty reliable

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16550 of 16585 Old 05-31-2019, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I think we've seen this happen before, and if not here, most certainly in the DTVPalDVR thread. The "bug" is probably caused by one of your local stations sending out the wrong time information. Find the culprit and ask them to correct it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Tune your DVR+ to the local PBS station when you're not actually using it.. They are pretty reliable
Do you use the Internet for your Guide, or do you use PSIP? If you use the Internet then I would think that the time is set that way. I've had PSIP time shift 5-40 seconds either side of the correct time. but never as much as has been reported here the last few days.
post #16551 of 16585 Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I think we've seen this happen before, and if not here, most certainly in the DTVPalDVR thread. The "bug" is probably caused by one of your local stations sending out the wrong time information. Find the culprit and ask them to correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Do you use the Internet for your Guide, or do you use PSIP? If you use the Internet then I would think that the time is set that way. I've had PSIP time shift 5-40 seconds either side of the correct time. but never as much as has been reported here the last few days.
Yes it is my understanding with the 135r it gets it's time from Internet Guide. With the 135r I don't think that you can manually set the time unlike the 114r.
This was actually the 4th time that this happened to me, but was the first time that I was around to see what happened. First time it had started 20 minutes late, second and third time 3 hour recordings end one hour early. So maybe it just needs a reboot?
post #16552 of 16585 Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 PM

fwiw, in my case I now suspect the cause is what wiscojim says, it's coming from one of my local channels. I only have 2.4ghz wifi on twice a week and for a 1/2 hr at a time so dvr+ can do a guide update. the rest of the time it isn't connected to internet.

it also seems to fit with the time being ok for the first few hours after the dvr+ guide update on the day I posted, it wasn't until many hours after the dvr+ was no longer connected to internet that the time again fell back by 5 minutes.

Last edited by ej_eddie; 06-01-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #16553 of 16585 Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes it is my understanding with the 135r it gets it's time from Internet Guide. With the 135r I don't think that you can manually set the time unlike the 114r.
This was actually the 4th time that this happened to me, but was the first time that I was around to see what happened. First time it had started 20 minutes late, second and third time 3 hour recordings end one hour early. So maybe it just needs a reboot?
A reboot certainly wouldn't make it worse. But being an hour off is pretty far off the scale, even for PSIP time. If you are connected to the Internet, a standard time server shouldn't ever let your DVR+ be off by more than a couple of seconds. On the other hand, if the DVR+ gets its time from a CM server, i.e. the same server that pushes the Internet guide, a glitch on their end could be responsible.

Quote:
fwiw, in my case I now suspect the cause is what wiscojim says, it's coming from one of my local channels. I only have 2.4ghz wifi on twice a week and for a 1/2 hr at a time so dvr+ can do a guide update. the rest of the time it isn't connected to internet.

it also seems to fit with the time being ok for the first few hours after the dvr+ guide update on the day I posted, it wasn't until many hours after the dvr+ was no longer connected to internet that the time again fell back by 5 minutes.
Is your DVR+ set for Automatic Time and Date and getting Guide/Time data via PSIP?
post #16554 of 16585 Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, if the DVR+ gets its time from a CM server, i.e. the same server that pushes the Internet guide, a glitch on their end could be responsible.

Is your DVR+ set for Automatic Time and Date and getting Guide/Time data via PSIP?
That must be it, it must be getting the time from the CM server and not the internet guide. The first time it was 20 minutes off second and third times it was an hour off and the forth time it was 22 minutes off. That does seem more like a CM screw up rather than a internet screw up. This last time when AGT did not start on time I did check the guide and it did show the 22 minutes off too.

Five minutes does seem like a TV station since they are off that much a lot of the time.
post #16555 of 16585 Old 06-04-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, interestingly I got to this thread for the first time exactly because of a "time" issue. I've had my DVR+ for years and while I am a bit disappointed that it appears they aren't supporting it any longer, I get it. I don't see a reason to change to a Stream+ right now as this still works fine and I'd rather wait for some of the newer tech coming in the next few years before I lifecycle.

Anyway, I wanted to add to the topic of system time, specifically when using network time. It appears that while you can custom set IP information, DNS, etc... the NTP server is hardset, and while your DVR+ is connected to the Internet, it will attempt to use ntp. It appears they have it set to use 'pool.ntp.org' which generally speaking I'm good with and don't have an issue BUT, they have it set to the global pool, not something more specific nor give the ability to modify it. I was reviewing traffic from my DVR this morning to try and lock it down and observed it using a "ntp pool project" trusted server in Russia - specifically 185.209.85.222. It was ntp traffic but I'd still prefer to set this myself.
post #16556 of 16585 Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smigal View Post
I was reviewing traffic from my DVR this morning to try and lock it down and observed it using a "ntp pool project" trusted server in Russia - specifically 185.209.85.222. It was ntp traffic but I'd still prefer to set this myself.
Hmmm...so you are saying that Channel Master is colluding with the Russians?

What software do you use to look at net traffic? People have wondered where their DVR+ calls are sent, and from where communications with the DVR+ originate. I have Wireshark, but use only PSIP because I use a hotspot for Internet. If you can monitor packets coming to and from the DVR+ people here would be interested in seeing where that traffic is coming from and going to.
post #16557 of 16585 Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
if you have non-switching hub eg a replicator, you can monitor/select network traffic from/to DVR+
post #16558 of 16585 Old 06-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For starters, you will have to do it without access to the code that was used to program the DVR+. CM and E* aren't going to release it, and I have had little success convincing people to break in to the E* headquarters with me to heist it. So short of decompiling the existing code the only way you would be able to improve on the DVR+ would be to write entirely new code using the Linux platform.

In what's come out in previous discussions on this, the problem that you will face is getting any code you write to actually to talk to the DVR+ to spoof an upgrade. If you could solve that problem you would be able to "jailbreak" the DVR+ and replace the old software with your new and improved software. And if you could do that you would deservedly earn the title of Da Man, and would be a hero to DVR+ owners all over the world--at least until ATSC 3.0 supplants the current ATSC standard and all non-ATSC 3.0 tuners go four legs in the air. If a device exists that could be put between a flash drive and the DVR+ USB port that let's you see the communication between the two that would certainly help. On the other hand, any failure you have could result in a bricked DVR+. If you go this route I would suggest that you have another flash drive with a version of the software handy to try to restore the DVR+ to working condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
if you have non-switching hub eg a replicator, you can monitor/select network traffic from/to DVR+
Unfortunately, I don't have one and am not sure my hotspot would work, even then.
artisticimaging likes this.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 06-04-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #16559 of 16585 Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

I'm flying naked, people. Buck naked.

Last week I performed a cold reboot of my DVR+ by pulling the power cord out of the back while it was in standby mode. When I plugged it back in, my Samsung TV didn't automatically power on like its done in the past for both cold and warm reboots. This surprised me, so I tried it again a few times over the next couple of days with the same results.

So this afternoon I went to the local Walmart and bought a digital programmable timer (Hyper Tough with 3 custom program settings) to see how it worked. I plugged the timer into a power strip, which was plugged in to the UPS I use.

I set the first custom setting to turn on at 6:00AM and turn off at 6:00PM, and the second custom setting to turn on at 06:05PM and off at 5:55AM. I didn't use the third custom setting. Unfortunately, this evening when it activated the TV came on. When the power was restored to the DVR+ it was already scheduled to record a dummy program at 06:05PM, and the thought occurred to me that may have had something to do with it. I also considered the possibility that the 5 minutes of no power may have had something to do with it. On a whim, I set the digital timer to turn on and off for the same times on both custom setting with the hope that there would be a second or so of no power before the next setting kicked in. No such luck; the power just stayed on. So then I cleared all the remaining dummy programs since the reboot initiated a full channel rescan and tried again. I reprogrammed the digital timer so that the power for the first custom setting came on at 6:00AM and turned off at 06:20PM. The second custom setting was programed to turn on at 06:21PM and off at 05:59AM. When the moment came, the DVR+ lost power for a minute and then went into boot mode. The TV did not power on this time. I don't know if no immediately pending recordings had anything to do with it, but I tend to doubt it. I think it had more to do with the short, 1 minute of no power as opposed to the 5 minutes I used earlier. But the good news is that it worked, and if it continues to work I can eliminate the dummy recordings and have a full 55 slots available.

The big test will come at 5:59AM tomorrow morning when the power is cut again. If it works, this will be awesome. If the TV powers up, I'm going to be yanked out of a deep sleep. But even if it doesn't work, I have another trick up my sleeve. I'm going to switch the source on the TV to "TV" instead of "HDMI1", which is the input to which the DVR+ is connected and is the default source when the TV powers up. I cancelled all the dummy programs for tomorrow morning and evening to clear the decks for the experiment. I'll update after some test runs to let you know how it went.

UPDATE #1 : I had no recordings scheduled after 8:00PM this evening, so I tried the Source/Input experiment. With the DVR+ turned on, I switched the TV source to "TV", turned it off and pulled the power cord out of the back of the DVR+. I waited about 45 seconds and plugged it back in. The DVR+ booted up and the TV didn't power up. Rebooting the DVR+ while on with the TV source set to HDMI1 and turned off would cause the TV to power up 100% of the time. So even though this was just one test of the theory, it seems to have been a success. In a worse case scenario I can always leave my TV source set to "TV", and just push a few extra buttons to watch TV on the DVR+. Since I got the DVR+ I seldom watched using the TV tuners, mostly because it would mean using two remotes, but also because the volume difference is significant (louder on the TV). But if I can eliminate the 20 dummy recordings I can live with having to switch inputs on the TV. It's also nice to see at least two days worth of scheduled recordings on the Schedule screen.

UPDATE #2 : Slept soundly until the alarm woke me up, which means that the TV didn't power up. The DVR+ rebooted and scanned, presumably on schedule although the only evidence of this is that all channels (other than the LP channels) had program titles and program descriptions in the Guide. I'll continue to cancel, rather than delete the dummy recordings for the time being just in case something changes. The permanent settings on the timer are to turn on at 06:00AM, turn off at 06:00PM, turn on again at 06:01PM and off at 05:59AM.

But even if this works perfectly, using a digital programmable timer is not a magic bullet. I can already see potential problems over the next few days. I have been binge recording the Sunday marathon of NCIS: Los Angeles for the last few weeks in the hope that I will be able to see the episodes from the first half of season 1. That marathon runs nonstop from 8:00AM Sunday until 1:00AM Monday. The morning reboot won't have an effect on this, but the evening reboot at 6:00PM will be affected. I'll miss roughly the first 10 minutes of the episode. I can get around this for the NCIS binge by using my Philips DVDR to record that channel every Sunday from 6:00PM until 7:00PM. But during the week there are other programs that occasionally air during that time, specifically "The Laboratory With Crazy Russian Hacker" and "Dust", both on the channel that carries the TBD network. Fortunately, the episodes that air at that time are reruns that air as part of their binge, but I could still miss an episode that I have not seen before. I'll update again when I delete all the dummy recordings or something unexpected happens like the TV firing up and freaking me out in the wee hours of the morning. But so far I like what I've seen. I get full programming and the DVR+ gets to clean out its memory pipes twice a day. One other note: Some of the minor LP channels only update their PSIP schedules every 6-9 hours, so there will likely be some gaps in programming in the Guide. I'd like to set the third custom program so that the DVR+ reboots every 8 hours, but that would significantly increase the likelihood that scheduled (series, manual or one time) recordings will be affected.
artisticimaging and pachinko like this.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 06-05-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #16560 of 16585 Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Last week I performed a cold reboot of my DVR+ by pulling the power cord out of the back while it was in standby mode. When I plugged it back in, my Samsung TV didn't automatically power on like its done in the past for both cold and warm reboots. This surprised me, so I tried it again a few times over the next couple of days with the same results.

So this afternoon I went to the local Walmart and bought a digital programmable timer (Hyper Tough with 3 custom program settings) to see how it worked. I plugged the timer into a power strip, which was plugged in to the UPS I use.

I set the first custom setting to turn on at 6:00AM and turn off at 6:00PM, and the second custom setting to turn on at 06:05PM and off at 5:55AM. I didn't use the third custom setting. Unfortunately, this evening when it activated the TV came on. When the power was restored to the DVR+ it was already scheduled to record a dummy program at 06:05PM, and the thought occurred to me that may have had something to do with it. I also considered the possibility that the 5 minutes of no power may have had something to do with it. On a whim, I set the digital timer to turn on and off for the same times on both custom setting with the hope that there would be a second or so of no power before the next setting kicked in. No such luck; the power just stayed on. So then I cleared all the remaining dummy programs since the reboot initiated a full channel rescan and tried again. I reprogrammed the digital timer so that the power for the first custom setting came on at 6:00AM and turned off at 06:20PM. The second custom setting was programed to turn on at 06:21PM and off at 05:59AM. When the moment came, the DVR+ lost power for a minute and then went into boot mode. The TV did not power on this time. I don't know if no immediately pending recordings had anything to do with it, but I tend to doubt it. I think it had more to do with the short, 1 minute of no power as opposed to the 5 minutes I used earlier. But the good news is that it worked, and if it continues to work I can eliminate the dummy recordings and have a full 55 slots available.

The big test will come at 5:59AM tomorrow morning when the power is cut again. If it works, this will be awesome. If the TV powers up, I'm going to be yanked out of a deep sleep. But even if it doesn't work, I have another trick up my sleeve. I'm going to switch the source on the TV to "TV" instead of "HDMI1", which is the input to which the DVR+ is connected and is the default source when the TV powers up. I cancelled all the dummy programs for tomorrow morning and evening to clear the decks for the experiment. I'll update after some test runs to let you know how it went.

UPDATE: I had no recordings scheduled after 8:00PM this evening, so I tried the Source/Input experiment. With the DVR+ turned on, I switched the TV source to "TV", turned it off and pulled the power cord out of the back of the DVR+. I waited about 45 seconds and plugged it back in. The DVR+ booted up and the TV didn't power up. Rebooting the DVR+ while on with the TV source set to HDMI1 and turned off would cause the TV to power up 100% of the time. So even though this was just one test of the theory, it seems to have been a success. In a worse case scenario I can always leave my TV source set to "TV", and just push a few extra buttons to watch TV on the DVR+. Since I got the DVR+ I seldom watched using the TV tuners, mostly because it would mean using two remotes, but also because the volume difference is significant (louder on the TV). But if I can eliminate the 20 dummy recordings I can live with having to switch inputs on the TV. It's also nice to see at least two days worth of scheduled recordings on the Schedule screen.
What brand of TV do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page