Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 554 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #16591 of 16648 Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
His DVR+ isn't connected to the Internet.

I'm thinking some stations are sending incorrect date/time via PSIP. I'll ask in the DFW reception thread....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16592 of 16648 Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
You did the rescan, but did you refresh the internet guide data?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
His DVR+ isn't connected to the Internet.

I'm thinking some stations are sending incorrect date/time via PSIP. I'll ask in the DFW reception thread....
Correct. The normal behavior is that some channels populate the PSIP Guide immediately, while others take several minutes. The PSIP data seems to come in layers/waves, and program descriptions can take a lot longer to show up, even after all the channels display program titles.

I was thinking the same about a station sending the wrong date/time data. If PSIP uses an average, as you have previously suggested, then it makes sense that the channel that repacked is the culprit. And for the date and time to be two months and several hours behind the current date and time they must have really been off when they changed over. Maybe even the default date for the equipment they were using. There was also other bizarre behavior after the rescan. As I moved up the channels, i.e. from 23.3 to 23.4, the channel number displayed 27.1 (which was the next sequential channel after the repack) for a second before correcting itself. This happened for several channels. When all was said and done, I lost channels 23.12 - 23.14, (but 23.11 is still there), the channel 25.x series, the 26.x series and the 30.x series. It was a bloody massacre today. In many ways, it was almost like the New Year's bug we have experienced. I'm just glad that these are channels I don't usually watch. But the downside of this is that as channels repack and share, we not only have fewer channels, the quality goes down every time this happens. It would be nice if stations dropped the plethora of shopping channels that are out there and replace them with real programming.
pachinko likes this.
post #16593 of 16648 Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
It would be nice if stations dropped the plethora of shopping channels that are out there and replace them with real programming.
You can say that again! If anything good is to come out of the repack, I hope it's that we lose the umpteen simulcasts of HSN!
artisticimaging and pachinko like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16594 of 16648 Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can say that again! If anything good is to come out of the repack, I hope it's that we lose the umpteen simulcasts of HSN!
As much as I would love to see it, I wouldn't recommend holding our collective breath waiting for that to happen. I think shopping channels are free to stations who want to carry them (they may even pay stations to carry them), while things like This, Movies!, Grit, etc cost the stations money. Decades TV was replaced by Start TV a while back here, and so far no one else has picked it up, even though it's been over a year. None of this bodes well for a DVR+ replacement in the next few years. But the situation is still very fluid, and if streamers keep dipping their toes in the OTA market there is a good chance that ATSC 3.0 will be a brand new dawn because in many ways it is streaming, but for free. It's also supposed to be somewhat interactive, which should be a plus.
post #16595 of 16648 Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

First persistent problem with PSIP reboot

After a few weeks of flying naked with no dummy recordings, I have noticed one problem that seems persistent. When the DVR+ reboots from standby, it seems to be about 3 minutes behind more often than not. When I have rebooted it while it is powered up, that doesn't seem to be a problem. So far I haven't found a solution that I like. The possible solutions I am looking at are these two:

1. Create a short dummy recording that is in progress when the DVR+ reboots, let it get cut off by the reboot and then resume at some point when the reboot is complete. The idea would be for the DVR+ to reboot when it is powered up, and let it stay on for the 2 hours before it automatically powers back down. The TV source would be set to "TV" so it doesn't power up. I don't really like this solution because I don't like rebooting while a recording is going on.

2. Create one dummy recording that begins shortly after each reboot, with a duration of 30 minutes to 1 hour and hope that the DVR+ being operational for a period of time causes it to set itself to the correct time. If I go this route I would be using a combination of dummy recordings and reboots to maintain the correct time and keep PSIP up to date. It may work, but it is clumsy, and isn't a fire and forget solution.

Other than those two, I don't see any other alternatives. The 3 minute time lag doesn't seem to fix itself in the instances I have been around to monitor it. I suppose over several hours it might, but that could also mean missing the beginning of every scheduled recording until it does (at least back to back recordings that follow recordings that occupy both tuners).

The only other "problem" I have noticed is where the Samsung TV occasionally powers up when the DVR+ reboots. That problem does not occur when the TV source is set to "TV", so other than a few extra buttons to push it isn't really a problem. I still don't know what causes it, but a while back I mentioned that about a third of the time when I power up my DVR+, the TV powers up along with it, even though I haven't hit the power button for the TV. I have no evidence other than observation, but I think the two behaviors are related.
post #16596 of 16648 Old 06-22-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3. Contact the FCC and complain about KTXD's PSIP time being over 5 hours slow! Odds are, that's throwing off your DVR+.
post #16597 of 16648 Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
3. Contact the FCC and complain about KTXD's PSIP time being over 5 hours slow! Odds are, that's throwing off your DVR+.
I had considered the possibility that all this repacking might be a factor in the time being off all of a sudden. But I may have to do as you suggest if it doesn't change. The time was correct after this morning's reboot, and the problems seem to always be after the evening reboot--which is after the stations switch frequency and I rescan. I'm hoping that's the case and all this sorts out now that we have a break for a while. You'd think the correct time would be one of the first things a station would get right, not to mention being one of the easiest things to take care of.

EDIT: After this morning's reboot the time was behind on my DVR+ by 6 minutes. So clearly this isn't something related to only the evening reboots. I was awake a little after 7:00AM today, so I checked the time on the DVR+ and noticed the time discrepancy. I left it powered up to see if it would correct itself. 5 hours later I went back to check, and while it had returned to standby after the two hours of no activity, the time was still incorrect. It was also recording an episode of the "Dust" binge, which of course it began recording late. I went into the Settings menu and clicked off Auto Time & Date, waited about a second and clicked it back on. The screen went dark for a second and came back with the correct time. So somehow the time is 6 minutes off following a reboot, won't fix itself--even when powered up and left for several hours and begins recording. But will fix itself immediately if Auto Time & Date is turned off then back on. The 5 hours time discrepancy @JHBrandt mentions definitely seems like it could be the culprit, but I can't explain why changing the Auto Time & Date setting would correct it. I also find it curious that others have all of a sudden noticed a similar time discrepancy which began at about the same time.

Also, @JHBrandt , how were you able to tell that KTXD's time was off? All of my devices show a general time setting, and the only way I can tell what time a station is set to is when the news is on and they are displaying it in the lower corner.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 06-23-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #16598 of 16648 Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@JHBrandt , how were you able to tell that KTXD's time was off? All of my devices show a general time setting, and the only way I can tell what time a station is set to is when the news is on and they are displaying it in the lower corner.
My iView will show the time a station is broadcasting whenever you tune to the station. I have to be careful though; if a station isn't broadcasting any time (believe it or not, that happens), then the iView will show a time based on the last station you tuned to that did broadcast a time. So I had to see the time change when I tuned to 47.1 (so I knew it was actually coming from 47.1; not "inherited" from the last station I was on), and then see that it was 5 hours slow.

Then I confirmed by asking on the DFW reception thread. @schultdw in Arlington monitors these things and found the same discrepancy, so it wasn't just me.
post #16599 of 16648 Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My iView will show the time a station is broadcasting whenever you tune to the station. I have to be careful though; if a station isn't broadcasting any time (believe it or not, that happens), then the iView will show a time based on the last station you tuned to that did broadcast a time. So I had to see the time change when I tuned to 47.1 (so I knew it was actually coming from 47.1; not "inherited" from the last station I was on), and then see that it was 5 hours slow.
That's a handy feature to have. Since switching back and forth between Auto Time & Date fixes my time problem, I'm not sure what to think. I'd like to believe it is either a temporary problem originating with broadcasters, or just a quirk. But either way, if I can't fix it I'll be back to dummy recordings as 5-6 minutes off in either direction is not acceptable.

EDIT: And surprise, surprise...When I woke up this morning the time was spot on following the 06:00AM reboot. The only change was that I had the DVR+ set to the local ABC affiliate's weather channel instead of the local Fox affiliate. Not convinced that made a difference, but I'll take it and be happy.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 06-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #16600 of 16648 Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
multipath 'fix'?

I've been putting this off for years but before football starts I would finally like to figure out a fix for my dvr+'s junky tuners or fw that can't handle multipath probs. I'm posting here to see about specifics for a dvr+.

unfortunately I live in an apartment so outdoor antennas or greater height aren't an option. I read greasemonkey's and jhbrandt's posts from last year about the 'hd stacker' fixing their trouble, is there a smaller version of that or style of antenna I could get for indoors? I thought about the terk directional but no one sells it locally where I could return if necessary.

my dvr+ meter is usually 35 - 55 for strength and quality is *always* much higher than strength, often at or near 100. but it constantly wavers between that and 0 - 60 quality. even a channel that the meter shows usually around 75+ quality can have constant bad freezing/pixelation which I imagine is because the meter's update interval isn't granular enough.

I've moved the antenna all around indoors, raise, lower, orientation, etc. one thing I thought of was buying new tuners like an hd converter for analog tvs but I'm guessing that kind of option could not be fed into the dvr+ so as to do recording? my 2015 samsung tv tuners blow away the dvr+'s with the homemade bowtie antenna I have now so it's definitely a dvr+ tuner or fw issue.

I also don't like to have to keep my computer on all the time for tv things so something like an hd homerun isn't anything I'm considering.

does anyone know of an indoor antenna option that could definitely deal better with multipath? or some other 'outside the box' thing I haven't thought of for basically bypassing the dvr+ tuners/fw while still using it to record tv?
post #16601 of 16648 Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
my dvr+ meter is usually 35 - 55 for strength and quality is *always* much higher than strength, often at or near 100. but it constantly wavers between that and 0 - 60 quality. even a channel that the meter shows usually around 75+ quality can have constant bad freezing/pixelation which I imagine is because the meter's update interval isn't granular enough.
From my experience it seems to be the fluctuation in signal quality that causes the problem. Even if it fluctuates between 80 and 100 you get the pixelation. On the other hand, I have had good, steady picture with signal quality in the low 40's, as long as it is constant. Living in an apartment is really going to limit your options, especially if you don't live on the side of the building that has a clear line to the transmitting antennas. If your apartment building has built in cables for satellite or cable TV you might ask them if you could disconnect the cable that runs to your apartment from the source and connect an antenna to that. FWIW, other than the problems with multipath interference I don't have any real complaints about the DVR+ tuners. And the HD Stacker combined with moving the antenna away from some large trees solved that problem. Good luck with your problem, but other than being able to put an antenna on the roof or in the attic of your apartment building you're going to have to get really out of the box to solve this. Have you plugged your address into TV Fool yet? The report that gets generated will give you an idea as to the best direction to point any antenna you use.
post #16602 of 16648 Old 06-29-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First, the bad news. The vast majority of indoor TV antennas suck. Just about everyone has gone to that horrible "flat" style popularized by Mohu, with little multipath rejection. Who cares if it works - the important thing is that it's flat! Sometimes I think the DVR+ itself was influenced by the "flatness" craze. Luckily it matters much less for electronics than antennas; the DVR+ of course works fine.

And their claims are grossly exaggerated, often claiming 100+ miles, which is impossible unless you own your own TV tower, or "4K," which will be true someday, but not now, and not with the DVR+, and has nothing to do with the antenna itself anyhow.

What you really need is an antenna with a reflector - which means it can't be flat since the reflector will sit 5" or so behind the antenna itself - and as wide as you can find. I wish Winegard still made the SS-3000, although it was amplified and I generally avoid amplified antennas. (Even if your signals are weak, an amp won't help much, but if you want to try one, buy a separate Winegard "Boost" LNA-100 vs. an amplified antenna.) Terk's HDTVi was good too, but it's no longer made either; after all, it wasn't flat!

That said, the Winegard FreeVision is a reasonable choice, even though technically it isn't an indoor antenna! Luckily it's small enough to mount to a stand and put on top of something. I have one on top of my fridge. It's not super, but at least it has a reflector, which gives it some UHF multipath rejection from the rear, and some ability to receive VHF-Hi (RF 7-13) signals as well as UHF (RF 14+) ones. Here's an Amazon.com link for the FreeVision: https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Free.../dp/B003L76BJS

GE and RCA also make some OK antennas that can be used indoors, although they also sell some crap. For the good ones, you'll again have to rig up a stand.
post #16603 of 16648 Old 06-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thanks to you both for the tips and observations! on the upside I'm more or less facing the broadcast towers of most interest but they're around 25 miles away. the terrain in between is generally flat, it's farm-like and small towns, no urban areas or massive man-made structures nearby other than this apartment building which I know can cause its own reception problems.

I believe besides the building itself the issue is all the trees right outside my window and within another 1/2 mile or so, it's kind of a lightly forested area. switching the antenna coax from the dvr+ to the samsung it will pixelate/freeze a couple times a minute, in comparison the dvr+ pixelates and drops out every few seconds. that's only for the worst channels I get but it tells me the issue is the dvr+, I could live with the samsung's kind of reception. but I have to have my recordings, football is no fun sitting through commercial after commercial over and over

afaik for something like this I'd need a directional antenna? during football season my one and only concern is smooth playback of the games I record, I don't have to pick up other channels at the same time, I'd be fine with directional if that mostly fixed it.

currently I have one of those four-bowtie antennas youtube videos show how to make, I made mine carefully and where I used to live it was perfect, could even be hidden behind a small table. as a test a couple weeks ago I did try holding up a large piece of cardboard with tin foil covering it while trying them both in different orientations but it didn't seem to make a difference. although maybe that's not what's meant by a "reflector"?
post #16604 of 16648 Old 06-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe besides the building itself the issue is all the trees right outside my window and within another 1/2 mile or so, it's kind of a lightly forested area. switching the antenna coax from the dvr+ to the samsung it will pixelate/freeze a couple times a minute, in comparison the dvr+ pixelates and drops out every few seconds. that's only for the worst channels I get but it tells me the issue is the dvr+, I could live with the samsung's kind of reception. but I have to have my recordings, football is no fun sitting through commercial after commercial over and over
The trees were my problem. I would get multipath interference for some channels in the Winter when the leaves fell, and other channels in the Spring and Summer when the foliage was full. When the wind rustled the branches I could tell it was interfering. I think the trees that are 1/2 mile out aren't the problem for you. I still have large trees that are 50' out, and they don't cause any problems. Moving my antenna 20' to the west and 5'-6' higher fixed it. My multipath interference is 100% gone. How high above the ground is your window that faces the towers?
post #16605 of 16648 Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:

unfortunately I live in an apartment so outdoor antennas or greater height aren't an option. ...
I would try put the antenna outside of your window(s).
post #16606 of 16648 Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe besides the building itself the issue is all the trees right outside my window and within another 1/2 mile or so, it's kind of a lightly forested area ... the Samsung ... will pixelate/freeze a couple times a minute, in comparison the DVR+ pixelates and drops out every few seconds.
Quote:
The trees were my problem. I would get multipath interference for some channels in the Winter when the leaves fell, and other channels in the Spring and Summer when the foliage was full. When the wind rustled the branches I could tell it was interfering.
Yes, trees sound like the culprit here, although the Samsung's tuner copes with them much better than the DVR+'s tuners do. Even the DVR+'s tuners can cope with some degree of multipath as long as it's a constant (as the case would be with buildings). But trees blow in the wind and the reflections from them change, so the tuner must constantly adjust to adapt. The DVR+'s tuners seem particularly poor at that task.
Quote:
I'd need a directional antenna? ... currently I have one of those four-bowtie antennas youtube videos show how to make .... as a test a couple weeks ago I did try holding up a large piece of cardboard with tin foil covering it while trying them both in different orientations but it didn't seem to make a difference. although maybe that's not what's meant by a "reflector"?
You're on the right track. The YouTube antennas are based on a Channel Master CM-4221, which is easy to make either with or without a reflector. The original 4221 had a reflector made of horizontal bars but tinfoil would probably work too. The trick is to get the spacing right: with visible light (e.g., a mirror) that's not critical because the wavelengths are microscopic (besides your eyes are directional and can't see both forward and backward at once), but with radio the reflector needs to be parallel to the receiving bowties and an odd number of quarter-wavelengths behind them so the waves coming from both front and back will add constructively. For UHF, 1/4 wavelength puts the reflector about five inches behind the antenna. The spacing doesn't have to be exact but you'll need something that will hold both the antenna and reflector in place; if they move relative to each other you're essentially creating another multipath problem for yourself!

A reflector would be an improvement but may not be enough on its own. An easy way to make a home-built antenna more directional is to mount two bowtie antennas side-by-side. You can combine the signals with two baluns, two identical pieces of coax, and an RF splitter hooked up in reverse. (If the combo has poor reception from stations straight in front, reverse polarity on one of the baluns.) Varying the spacing between the two antennas will move around nulls in the combo's reception pattern that can be used to cancel out reflected signals, although that usually takes a lot of trial and error because you can't see them!

Combining two 4-bay antennas would produce a huge antenna, of course, but you could combine two smaller ones too. Even two one-bay antennas plus a reflector would probably work pretty well. That was the old SS-3000 design.
post #16607 of 16648 Old 06-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
The YouTube antennas are based on a Channel Master CM-4221, which is easy to make either with or without a reflector.
I don't think credit should go just to the CM4221, as these 4-bay bowtie antennas date much further back and were made by many manufacturers. For example, here are Finco & Knight versions in a 1965 catalog:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F&K.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2586134  
post #16608 of 16648 Old 06-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
For example, here are Finco & Knight versions in a 1965 catalog:
$24.50 each? I'll take 5 of them!
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16609 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Copying from internal hard drive

Please forgive me if this has been addressed.
I have a DVR+ with a built in hard drive. Is there any way to copy recordings? I have had no need up to this point, but we anticipate cutting the cord when our comittment to Dish TV ends.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16610 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DVR+ has no provision for accessing the internal HDD via the Ethernet port, so you'd have to physically remove the HDD from the DVR+ and plug it into your PC first. After that "toughie," it's easy; you could copy the recordings with, e.g., DVR+ Lister.

It's a major oversight of the DVR+ design, IMO. If CM/E* had allowed the DVR+ to use NAS, then the long-promised but never-delivered whole-home capability would have become a reality.
post #16611 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
New hard drive finds?

Any recent finds on compatible external drives. I've been using WD Passports for a while, but the last few seem to be more worrisome. Requiring longer warm-ups. The last one sort of failed at around 85% full, which is admittedly is getting pretty full. DVR+ reported the problem. Used the repair drive option several times. But still had problems. I managed to get it working long enough to delete a few shows and either the reduction in recording counts or increasing available space seemed to resolve the problem.

I seem recall that some of the later firmware updates and formatting certain drives had some sector compatibility issues.

Has anyone tried an SSD for a drive for archiving shows you really want to keep? Although keeping SSDs at near full capacity can accelerate their failure.
post #16612 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The DVR+ has no provision for accessing the internal HDD via the Ethernet port, so you'd have to physically remove the HDD from the DVR+ and plug it into your PC first. After that "toughie," it's easy; you could copy the recordings with, e.g., DVR+ Lister.

It's a major oversight of the DVR+ design, IMO. If CM/E* had allowed the DVR+ to use NAS, then the long-promised but never-delivered whole-home capability would have become a reality.
Boo. I'll either have to forgo copying or record on a different device (if I have advanced knowlege of something I'd lile to keep).

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16613 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Boo. I'll either have to forgo copying or record on a different device (if I have advanced knowlege of something I'd lile to keep).
If you will connect an external drive, then whole process wouldn't be that hard as seems to be. But initial cost could be bit higher.
As a cost reduction - get HDD enclosure, move the internal HDD into it and play the tunes
post #16614 of 16648 Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation gsmartcontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Any recent finds on compatible external drives. I've been using WD Passports for a while, but the last few seem to be more worrisome. Requiring longer warm-ups. The last one sort of failed at around 85% full, which is admittedly is getting pretty full. DVR+ reported the problem. Used the repair drive option several times. But still had problems. I managed to get it working long enough to delete a few shows and either the reduction in recording counts or increasing available space seemed to resolve the problem.

I seem recall that some of the later firmware updates and formatting certain drives had some sector compatibility issues.

Has anyone tried an SSD for a drive for archiving shows you really want to keep? Although keeping SSDs at near full capacity can accelerate their failure.
It would be good start to talking about your WD current health, if you will connect it PC and pull SMART and logs, say by gsmartcontrol program.
skypirate likes this.
post #16615 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Boo. I'll either have to forgo copying or record on a different device (if I have advanced knowledge of something I'd like to keep).
Well, you could get a USB dock, take the HDD out of the DVR+, put it into the USB dock, then reconnect it to the DVR+ via USB as P Smith suggests.

You'd essentially be converting your DVR+ to the external drive model. Then you could keep all your recordings on your current HDD, but it would be easy to move it to your PC to make copies.
post #16616 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like you're thinking of the troubles with formatting HDDs that are over 2 TB for use with the DVR+.

The DVR+ is compatible with both 512-byte and 4K-byte sector sizes, but only 4K-byte sector HDDs can be formatted to use over 2 TB, and even then only with one specific firmware version: 124R. But once it's formatted you can re-update to 135R and keep using the HDD you just formatted.
Quote:
I have successfully used a 128 GB thumb drive with the DVR+, so there are some that will work. Learned that the DVR+ will report a HDD (any type) as "full" even if there are still about 48 GB of free space left, so the "usable" space on a 128 GB drive is only about 80 GB. Given their typically higher cost per GB, and the inconvenience of having to swap drives if you want to archive different shows on different drives, it didn't seem worth the trouble. So instead, I use DVR+ Lister to copy shows to be archived to other HDDs. That way it doesn't matter whether it's solid state or not.
post #16617 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have successfully used a 128 GB thumb drive with the DVR+, so there are some that will work. Learned that the DVR+ will report a HDD (any type) as "full" even if there are still about 48 GB of free space left, so the "usable" space on a 128 GB drive is only about 80 GB. Given their typically higher cost per GB, and the inconvenience of having to swap drives if you want to archive different shows on different drives, it didn't seem worth the trouble. So instead, I use DVR+ Lister to copy shows to be archived to other HDDs. That way it doesn't matter whether it's solid state or not.
Since is sounds like @crabboy is only going to keep the occasional program, using a thumb drive may be a good solution for him. You can buy a 32GB thumb drive at Walmart for about $10, which should be enough for a 3 or 4 hour movie. Record it to the thumb drive, pop it out and use DVR+ Lister to permanently save it, reformat the thumb drive and leave it next to the DVR+ for the next time.
post #16618 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, that's a good idea, although 64 GB might be a better size choice. But the DVR+ won't format and use drives that small (don't remember what the minimum is but I think it's 80 GB), so the way to go would be to copy shows from his main recording HDD to the thumb drives with DVR+ Lister, then delete them from the main HDD to make room for more.
post #16619 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can a thumb drive be added?

Quote:
Since is sounds like @crabboy is only going to keep the occasional program, using a thumb drive may be a good solution for him. You can buy a 32GB thumb drive at Walmart for about $10, which should be enough for a 3 or 4 hour movie. Record it to the thumb drive, pop it out and use DVR+ Lister to permanently save it, reformat the thumb drive and leave it next to the DVR+ for the next time.
Can I add a thumb drive without removing the built-in drive? That would be doable for the occasional recording. How would the DVR+ "know" which drive to record on?
I could get a 128GB thumb drive. Or, I could use one of several outboard drives I have laying around. I originally got my DVR+ with a built-in drive for simplicity. With what I know now, I might have made a different choice.

Indirectly Outta Compton

Last edited by crabboy; 07-04-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Addition info
post #16620 of 16648 Old 07-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good idea, although 64 GB might be a better size choice. But the DVR+ won't format and use drives that small (don't remember what the minimum is but I think it's 80 GB), so the way to go would be to copy shows from his main recording HDD to the thumb drives with DVR+ Lister, then delete them from the main HDD to make room for more.
Doesn't the external DVR+ model come with a 16GB flash drive? I would have thought that would be the minimum size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page