Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 555 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4225Likes

post #16621 of 16817 Old 07-04-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Can I add a thumb drive without removing the built-in drive? That would be doable for the occasional recording.
Yes, as long as the thumb drive is big enough (128 GB works; larger thumb drives may work too but I haven't tested any) and is capable of working with the DVR+. SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 thumb drives seem OK and are reasonably priced.

Just remember the DVR+ will consider it "full" once you've recorded 80 GB or so.
Quote:
How would the DVR+ "know" which drive to record on?
As soon as you plug it in, the DVR+ will prompt you to format it and, if successful, activate it. Once you do that, it will use the external drive until you disconnect it (preferably via the menu) and ignore the internal drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 16817 Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Doesn't the external DVR+ model come with a 16GB flash drive? I would have thought that would be the minimum size.
Yes; that would be a logical assumption. I would've expected smaller drives to work, although perhaps in the "crippled" mode used for the 16GB drive (must manually activate buffering; no series recordings; etc.) Unfortunately the DVR+ programmers didn't seem to agree with us.
post #16623 of 16817 Old 07-04-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I've waded thru the DVR+ Lister pages and have not found: where can I get the latest version of DVR+ Lister?

Indirectly Outta Compton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16624 of 16817 Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I've waded thru the DVR+ Lister pages and have not found: where can I get the latest version of DVR+ Lister?
In any post by @pachinko you can look at his signature and see links that will get you there. You can also click this link that will take you to the same place.
post #16625 of 16817 Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Doesn't the external DVR+ model come with a 16GB flash drive? I would have thought that would be the minimum size.
nope, internal storage aka eMMC is not a storage like HDD (SATA) or SSD connected thru USB !
post #16626 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I got it.

Quote:
In any post by @pachinko you can look at his signature and see links that will get you there. You can also click this link that will take you to the same place.

Downloaded and ready to go. Thanks all!

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16627 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 507
@crabboy , over on the Stream+ Thread there are numerous reports of 'fake' thumb drives:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...thread-70.html

Each page has a "Search This Thread" box at top. Keyword Thumb shows 20 and Drive had 71.

The clones are labeled correctly, but when used, are full after 8 MB or so.
Art
post #16628 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@crabboy , over on the Stream+ Thread there are numerous reports of 'fake' thumb drives:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...thread-70.html

Each page has a "Search This Thread" box at top. Keyword Thumb shows 20 and Drive had 71.

The clones are labeled correctly, but when used, are full after 8 MB or so.
Art
Can anyone list drives they KNOW will work correctly? Thanks in advance.
I am looking at store-brand thumb drives from Micro Center. Will they work? Any experience with them?

Indirectly Outta Compton

Last edited by crabboy; 07-05-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Additional question
post #16629 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why not use HDD with an enclosure ? They are cheap and any will works.
post #16630 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@crabboy , over on the Stream+ Thread there are numerous reports of 'fake' thumb drives... The clones are labeled correctly, but when used, are full after 8 MB or so.
There is a readily available simple windows program called h2testw.exe that will write to every byte of a drive or SD card and verify that it will indeed store its full capacity (or that it won't because it's a fake). It writes random bytes and later reads them back to verify that there is no "wrap" going on.
JHBrandt and pilotart like this.
post #16631 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is anyone having problems with the guide? (I have 135R loaded) I have a PBS channel that doesn't want to populate past about 8 hours. The remaining channels are populated out to 12 days. There are a few spots on the PBS channel that are listed past 8 hours but mostly it lists Unknown Event. My wireless internet connection is connected and shows a good signal. I have done a power cycle reset and selected the option to update the guide.So far what I have done doesn't help.

To confuse me even further, my other DVR+ has the guide populated fully for the PBS channel out to 12 days.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
post #16632 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
Is anyone having problems with the guide? (I have 135R loaded) I have a PBS channel that doesn't want to populate past about 8 hours. The remaining channels are populated out to 12 days.
Just checked mine and all channels (including PBS) are populated through Wednesday July 17th at 7:00AM (it is Friday July 5th now, so that's about 12 days). Strange that your 2 units are getting different guides. No suggestions though (maybe a cold or warm start). Also no idea why it's not 14 days.
post #16633 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
re: multipath 'fix'?

huge "thanks!" to JHBrandt and Greasemonkey for my dvr+ multipath fixes! after playing around with my cheesy reflector for a few days at various times of day/night I can see things are definitely going in the right direction.

it took more patience or luck maybe than when I first tried this weeks before posting but once I got the reflector in the right orientation I immediately see a 20+ point jump in dvr+ 'quality' meter (at least for a couple of the most troublesome channels) - no reflector or wrong position and it's the regular crappy picture, put it back in the right orientation and voila!

but more importantly than higher 'quality' numbers the picture is far more stable. as Greasemonkey said even somewhat low 'quality' can provide a good picture if things are just right so I'll be focusing on that instead of big numbers.

I may try to remake my own setup with the reflector requirement in mind or look for a small commercial one to buy. because at least now it won't be gambling on whether or not random antenna A or B will help, now I what's needed for my situation.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16634 of 16817 Old 07-05-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is anyone having problems with the guide? (I have 135R loaded) I have a PBS channel that doesn't want to populate past about 8 hours. The remaining channels are populated out to 12 days. There are a few spots on the PBS channel that are listed past 8 hours but mostly it lists Unknown Event. My wireless internet connection is connected and shows a good signal. I have done a power cycle reset and selected the option to update the guide.So far what I have done doesn't help.

To confuse me even further, my other DVR+ has the guide populated fully for the PBS channel out to 12 days.

Sounds like the guide for your area is OK; otherwise both DVR+'s would have the problem. (I'm assuming they're both set to the same Zip code. You might want to double-check that, just in case.)

Does the troublesome PBS channel show the PBS logo? If it has a generic "TV screen" logo, the guide won't match up and all you'll get is the PSIP guide.

It sounds like that may be what's happening. If that's the case you may need to do a full rescan to straighten it out.
post #16635 of 16817 Old 07-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sounds like the guide for your area is OK; otherwise both DVR+'s would have the problem. (I'm assuming they're both set to the same Zip code. You might want to double-check that, just in case.)

Does the troublesome PBS channel show the PBS logo? If it has a generic "TV screen" logo, the guide won't match up and all you'll get is the PSIP guide.

It sounds like that may be what's happening. If that's the case you may need to do a full rescan to straighten it out.

First of all, thank you for the response.

I checked and the PBS logo is there. I have done several full channel scans. Since all broadcasting locally is originated from a mountain south and west of Salt Lake City I have a lot of zip codes to choose from. Changing to a different local zip code and telling it to redo the guide hasn't helped so far. I really hate to do a factory reset but it might be the only option left.
post #16636 of 16817 Old 07-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Changing to a different local zip code and telling it to redo the guide hasn't helped so far. I really hate to do a factory reset but it might be the only option left.
Before you go factory reset, try changing to a Zip Code from across the country and see what happens. I think people have tested their Internet guide that way in the past.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16637 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
It would be good start to talking about your WD current health, if you will connect it PC and pull SMART and logs, say by gsmartcontrol program.
I might have to check that out. I haven't heard a fail drive in many years. Really, more that I could feel the heads moving around a lot. Did get it back up and running, but it might be good to look into further.
post #16638 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you're thinking of the troubles with formatting HDDs that are over 2 TB for use with the DVR+.

The DVR+ is compatible with both 512-byte and 4K-byte sector sizes, but only 4K-byte sector HDDs can be formatted to use over 2 TB, and even then only with one specific firmware version: 124R. But once it's formatted you can re-update to 135R and keep using the HDD you just formatted.I have successfully used a 128 GB thumb drive with the DVR+, so there are some that will work. Learned that the DVR+ will report a HDD (any type) as "full" even if there are still about 48 GB of free space left, so the "usable" space on a 128 GB drive is only about 80 GB. Given their typically higher cost per GB, and the inconvenience of having to swap drives if you want to archive different shows on different drives, it didn't seem worth the trouble. So instead, I use DVR+ Lister to copy shows to be archived to other HDDs. That way it doesn't matter whether it's solid state or not.
Thank you. I'll need to track down 124R. I think I downloaded it, but can't recall.
post #16639 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, I did a manual refresh this morning and the guide programming sort of stalled around 3 and a half days out, Thursday evening around 10 p.m. Lots of Unknown Events across multiple channels, not just PBS. 135R, Wired internet connection.

Locally, the PBS programming is an interesting one to watch the guide repopulate. Generally, it seems populate with the over the air guide first, which tends to be more accurate/current. Then gradually it gets replaced with whatever the Channel Master service has.
post #16640 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Thank you. I'll need to track down 124R. I think I downloaded it, but can't recall.
New link to where they are stored: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9crycybi...Oj5axA6Ha?dl=0

pilotart and skypirate like this.
post #16641 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
New link to where they are stored: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9crycybi...Oj5axA6Ha?dl=0

Thank you!
wiscojim likes this.
post #16642 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Before you go factory reset, try changing to a Zip Code from across the country and see what happens. I think people have tested their Internet guide that way in the past.

Thank you, this seems to have corrected the guide but now another issue has shown up. If watching a live show, pausing it, running it back and stopping the rewind, the DVR becomes unresponsive. No sound, no picture and no response until a power reset is initiated. This lock-up doesn’t always occur. Only enough to make it aggravating.
post #16643 of 16817 Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you, this seems to have corrected the guide but now another issue has shown up. If watching a live show, pausing it, running it back and stopping the rewind, the DVR becomes unresponsive. No sound, no picture and no response until a power reset is initiated. This lock-up doesn’t always occur. Only enough to make it aggravating.
I'm assuming that you changed the Zip Code back to your local Zip Code once the problem was fixed. Based on posts here, the unresponsive problem could be related to the HDD getting full. I'm not sure, but I think it happens for both the internal HDD and an external HDD, if you are using one. If it's the internal HDD, the only way to find out would be to delete enough programming to get it below the threshold where the problem occurs. If you are using an external HDD, you can switch it out with another one that doesn't have anything on it (I'm pretty sure the DVR+ will reformat an external HDD, thus deleting everything on it) and see it that clears up the problem. I use the DVR+ with the internal drive, and it has never been more than 35% full so I have never had that problem. But the DVR+ being unresponsive is not an uncommon problem, and I think it has to do with how full the HDD gets.
post #16644 of 16817 Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I tried changing the zip code, rebooting and the guide still seemed to have a semi-cutoff on Thursday, 11:00 p.m. CST. I think there were some slight changes, some programs added, some that had been there missing.

There were some channels that had programming beyond that time, but just a lot of programs missing or misspellings, "Chasing trhe Moon" (the late Thursday or early Friday rerun). Initially, I thought it was a problem on the other end, like maybe they didn't finish the guide this week.

For whatever reason, a full rescan did seem to fix the guide for my DVR+. The 'trhe' is still there.

Last edited by skypirate; 07-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #16645 of 16817 Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Antenna Amplifier Question

Will any amplifier work with this?

I have a TERK roof-mount amplified antenna. The wall wart wire is part of the amplifier and not replaceable. This goes to a splitter. One side to DVR+ and the other side to an old DTV Pal DVR.
When Trump was in Orlando, both DVR's failed to record the local and network news. I couldn't figure out why. This past weekend, the NASCAR race just recorded a few minutes. When I turned on the TV to check the recording, the DVR said it lost the antenna signal. I switched the wall wart off and on and the signal came back. So the amplifier or wall wart is going bad. TERK doesn't sell the antenna anymore. They don't respond to email either.

I assume that I will need to replace the amplifier, but I don't know what to buy.

Thanks in advance
Tom
post #16646 of 16817 Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

sort offtopic…
but the antenna's power supply (check its output: voltage and max current) could be replaced by similar pretty easy: cut the wires in a middle, same for new power brick with same output, twist wires together and use electrical tape to isolate the two wires, better way is solder them and wear shrinking tubes
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16647 of 16817 Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
sort offtopic…
but the antenna's power supply (check its output: voltage and max current) could be replaced by similar pretty easy: cut the wires in a middle, same for new power brick with same output, twist wires together and use electrical tape to isolate the two wires, better way is solder them and wear shrinking tubes
Thanks, P Smith
I can do that, I didn't know if there was a better way. By the way, the DTVPal is one that you replaced the bad caps in. I have replaced the caps in it and another one myself with a caps kit on eBay.
P Smith likes this.
post #16648 of 16817 Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Just throwing in an update on using a timed reboot to keep PSIP data populated and up to date. Shortly after I started experimenting with this I noticed that the clock was setting itself 5-6 minutes slow several times a week following the morning and evening reboots. For the last 7-10 days this hasn't been happening, and the clock has been setting itself fairly accurately, usually 15-30 seconds slow, which has been my experience for years. The interesting thing is that the larger time discrepancy started occurring right at the time local stations were doing their repack and sharing shuffling gig. One local company is operating 6 channels, and the clocks for all of their channel's are 5 hours and 8 minutes behind. I can't help but think that this had something to do with my DVR+ clock running 5-6 minutes slow. But in every case, the clock on my DVR+ returned to normal approximately a week after each of these repack/shuffle events. It was almost like the ripples on a pond spreading out and then subsiding after a stone was tossed in. We've got a few more of those repack events coming up, so that should provide a good indication as to whether there is a connection or not.

But as it stands now, I'm really loving how using a timed reboot is working. All the channels that provide PSIP data (some LP stations only display "Unknown Event") are populated because rebooting initiates a full channel scan. Using dummy recordings tends to only keep the channels recorded up to date. Timed reboots also eliminate the need for the occasional reboot to flush out and clear memory leaks. The only thing I have to remember is to keep my Samsung TV source input set to the TV, and not HDMI1, which is the DVR+ input. Setting the TV to the HDMI1 input results in my TV powering up some of the time during the reboot.

So all in all, I have to conclude that timed reboots are superior to dummy recordings when it comes to keeping PSIP data up to date, though both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage to timed reboots is that there is a brief window where a recording will cut out or start late if it overlaps with the time set for a reboot. A second device could cover that for known upcoming recording events, but if you are out of town or because PSIP data only goes out about 72 hours at the longest for some stations (PBS), vigilance is necessary to plan for these events.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 07-16-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Under threat of deportation
post #16649 of 16817 Old 08-10-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cross-posting Kelson's question because I think it's a good thing to ask about any DVR, not just the one (Stream+) he asked about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm curious if anyone has gone through an FCC channel repack with the Stream+ DVR+ and how Live Channels CM's guide has handled it. i.e. how long did it take for the guide data to match up properly with the new channels.
The repack in DFW was something of a fiasco; @Greasemonkey will back me up on that. First of all, we had a couple of channel sets get reshuffled in April, before the repack, in order to make room for an experimental ATSC 3.0 signal. Then as the June repack approached, one or two stations moved early, in May. Most moved the last week of Phase 3, but not all on the same day. And then there were a few stations that missed the deadline and didn't move until July.

But my DVR+ actually handled it pretty well, given that it requires you to rescan your channels from the menu (it doesn't automatically rescan for you as some other devices do). I believe Channel Master's guide comes from TiVo/Rovi, but it apparently matches stations up according to Zip code and display channel only - the physical channel doesn't matter.

According to commenters on the local DFW thread, some devices had more trouble: both TiVo and Windows Media Center rely on the TiVo guide to tell them which RF channels to tune to. Because of all the chaos and confusion, the guide often got out of sync with the actual moves, causing their users to lose a few stations for a while. So there is an advantage to the DVR+'s "manual" approach, even though it requires more work by the user.
post #16650 of 16817 Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[email protected]Greasemonkey will back me up on that. First of all, we had a couple of channel sets get reshuffled in April, before the repack, in order to make room for an experimental ATSC 3.0 signal. Then as the June repack approached, one or two stations moved early, in May. Most moved the last week of Phase 3, but not all on the same day. And then there were a few stations that missed the deadline and didn't move until July.
Definitely a roller coaster ride. I seem to have come through it pretty much intact. Now I'm just waiting for the VHF-Lo stations to get back on the air to test my antenna's capabilities.

Quote:
So there is an advantage to the DVR+'s "manual" approach, even though it requires more work by the user.
I'll second that. I manually scanned some of the channels during the fun times, mostly because the DVR+ would have two recurring behaviors after a repack, though it didn't happen every time. One behavior was that the date and time could be set wildly inaccurately, sometimes a few months off. When it did that it was always behind and it killed my timer recordings. The second behavior was that the PSIP data was scattered all over the Guide. The channels showed the correct programming, but the program listings and program information was showing up on incorrect channels. That would correct itself in a day or so, after the DVR+ rebooted a couple of times. Other than that, the only thing I noticed was the time being set slow every now and then after a reboot. But even that behavior diminished over time. Correctly or incorrectly, I linked that to the repack shenanigans because I don't think there is anything in the DVR+ that would cause that. And that behavior also diminished the further out from the repack and rescan I got. The DVR+ seems to have handled both the repacking and channel sharing very well. I'm back up over 80 channels, and unless I check the frequencies for specific channels it's all invisible when viewing the Guide. Still rebooting twice a day via the digital timer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page