Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 559 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #16741 of 16834 Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 496
IMO, it would really clear some thoughts if we could know a schedule of EIT spooling on each station... perhaps knowing what time span they do have for each station too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16742 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
The grid style PSIP schedule was one of the bigger selling points of the DVR+, and the only reason to not fix it would have been that they had to rework too much of the code to make it work, i.e. memory leaks.
But E* actually did have it working, on the DTVPal.

The 'Pal had the Rovi guide too, although it was delivered OTA. Unfortunately that quit working when Rovi pulled the plug on OTA delivery, but the code was there. All E* had to do was switch to Rovi's then-new Internet guide.

I suspect that's what they started with. It would explain why 108R almost works. If one had the time and interest, it would be interesting to try some of the very early firmware, just to evaluate the PSIP guide functionality but ignoring all the other bugs, and see if it worked well in 101R, and gradually deteriorated until it basically quit working completely circa 114R.
Quote:
All you would need is one recording every 36-48 hours and the PBS schedule grid would always be up to date enough to schedule recordings.
I'd forgotten about that wrinkle; PBS schedules repeats of their most popular shows several times a week (and we had no "new shows only" option on 108R, or on PSIP with any version; back then, I just let it record everything and deleted the repeats), so if you ask the DVR+ to record, say, Nova, it's actually going to tune to PBS quite often, keeping the guide for PBS up-to-date even if the firmware takes a "holiday" (as you experienced the first time), or quits working entirely (as you experienced the second time).
post #16743 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
IMO, it would really clear some thoughts if we could know a schedule of EIT spooling on each station... perhaps knowing what time span they do have for each station too
My experience, using two channels that I generally keep track of is that there is a PSIP update (at least for those two channels) sometime between 4PM and 5PM Central Time, and again between 1AM and 2AM Central Time. That's when the listings for Mannix (airs 1:00AM, MeTV on channel 21.2) and the rerun of the Midday Matinee (airs 2:00AM, TBD on channel 47.4) first appear in the Guide. Between 1AM and 2AM the listings for the first run of Midday Matinee (airs 10:00AM, TBD on channel 47.4) shows up. I don't know when the morning PSIP update for those channels occurs. I'm also fairly sure that those updates occur in the first half hour of the times I provided. I am not sure if those updates occur for all channels in my area, or if the times are the same for all broadcast markets in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
But E* actually did have it working, on the DTVPal.
How much of the DVR+ code and the DTVPal code are the same?

Quote:
I suspect that's what they started with. It would explain why 108R almost works.
Actually, my experience with v114R is similar to what I saw with v108R. It seemed to work, but over the course of a week ground to a halt one channel at a time. But it is hard to pin down for either version since viewing a channel, even for a brief period will update the PSIP data for that channel. I know that when I got the DVR+ I had a lot of programs on different channels set to record as Series recordings. It was when a recording failed to record that I noticed something was amiss. Other channels, such as the Fox affiliate where I would watch the news between 5PM and 6PM would tend to stay populated in the Guide, at least for prime time. I seldom watch TV in the morning. It was when I would investigate the channels that failed I noticed that the Guide would populate with data shortly after tuning to them. That, in turn inspired the idea for dummy recordings. The real test, for all versions would be to not have any timer recordings set up, and leave the DVR+ in standby for a week and tuned to an innocuous channel. Then power it up and pull up the Guide to see what channels still have PSIP data.

Quote:
back then, I just let it record everything and deleted the repeats)
Hey, I still do that!
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16744 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a good question. Only E* knows for sure, but there are hints that they share a lot of code, despite the UI being quite different.

One example is the "manual channel scan" screen. They look a lot different but work in the same quirky way: instead of clicking a "Start scan" button, you have to move to a choice control and switch it from "Stopped" to "Started" on both devices. It's too much of a coincidence to believe both devices had the same counter-intuitive design for the same dialog.

Also, I believe if you go back and read early posts, when we were exploring the files used by the DVR+, P Smith (who is very familiar with the DTVPal) noted that both devices used similar files. The main difference is that the DVR+ exchanged the non-public filesystem used by the DTVPal for Linux and its well-understood filesystem. (Also the DVR+ has a larger REI file to accommodate larger drives; the DTVPal was limited to 1 TB drives.) It's likely that, if we had a Windows driver for "Dave's filesystem" a la ext2fsd, DVR+ Lister would work with DTVPal recordings with only a few changes.

But in the end, I don't think it really matters. The point is, E* got it right once; they could have gotten it right again if they had wanted to.
post #16745 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Signal Strength vs Quality

Someone refresh my memory, please. My DVR+ shows one channel with a signal strength of 60 but a quality of 0. I cannot receive the signal. Someone had mentioned that this was an indication of something, but I can't recall what.
post #16746 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Someone refresh my memory, please. My DVR+ shows one channel with a signal strength of 60 but a quality of 0. I cannot receive the signal. Someone had mentioned that this was an indication of something, but I can't recall what.
The signal strength is an arbitrary representation of how much coherent RF signal is present in a 6MHz channel, as compared to incoherent noise; so it bears some (unspecified) relationship to the signal-to-noise ratio. On most TVs and DVRs, a value of 60 is pretty marginal, which means the signal is pretty weak/noisy.

The signal quality is determined by how successfully the tuner is able to demodulate the 8VSB digital signal and come up with enough correct bits to reconstruct the various video and PSIP streams. At the low end (0), enough bits are incorrect that the tuner cannot sync at all and the bitstream is useless. At the high end, all the bits are correctly demodulated and the decoding of the streams can proceed without a problem. In between, errors are being detected in the bitstream; some can be corrected and some cannot; if most can be corrected, a video stream will appear normal; if most cannot be corrected, the tuner will suppress the picture entirely; in the middle ground, various visual and sound glitches will be noticable and the picture may or may not be watchable.

At a signal strength of 60, plain garden variety noise may be degrading the signal quality down to zero. At higher signal strength, the quality may still be intermittent or zero due to multipath (which complicates demodulation, since there are two or more copies of the same bits (or more correctly, symbols of 3 bits) are being received at slightly different times, and even if the tuner can discern both copies, it must be able to lock onto one or the other and ignore the interference. More recent tuners have algorithms that do a better job of this than older tuners. Or at higher signal strength, some nearby man-made noise source (like a microwave oven, a switching power supply, an ethernet cable, a computer or monitor, etc.) may throw in enough intermittent noise to prevent successful demodulation.

Incidentally, it is this last issue that has turned AM radio, once a primary source of audio entertainment, into an almost unusable medium in urban areas.

Re-orienting your antenna to get that signal strength up 10 or 20 units, or to null-out a multipath signal, may be what you need in this circumstance. In the old days of analog TV, it was easy to "see" multipath, as there were literally two images displaced slightly in the horizontal direction; no such tool with digital, you just need to rotate your antenna by fractions of a degree and see how it affects your reception.

Last edited by frank70; 09-04-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #16747 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

At higher signal strength, the quality may still be intermittent or zero due to multipath (which complicates demodulation, since there are two or more copies of the same bits (or more correctly, symbols of 3 bits) are being received at slightly different times, and even if the tuner can discern both copies, it must be able to lock onto one or the other and ignore the interference. More recent tuners have algorithms that do a better job of this than older tuners.
Thank you...multipath...that was what I was trying to think of. I need to move my VHF antenna to another mast where it will be easier to orient. I only have two VHF stations (8 WGTV and 10 WXIA) and I have a separate VHF-hi antenna. Both signals are two edge signals, but one is farther away and running less power. Right now WXIA is at 100 signal strength and 100 quality, so I have some headroom to work with. Just have to find the sweet spot so that I can receive both. Also I think by moving to another mast, I can get up about 15 ft higher which may (or may not) help. It has not been an issue in the past because we never watched WGTV, but now my wife is interested in some of their programming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2611270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2611272  
post #16748 of 16834 Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Thank you...multipath...that was what I was trying to think of. I need to move my VHF antenna to another mast where it will be easier to orient. I only have two VHF stations (8 WGTV and 10 WXIA) and I have a separate VHF-hi antenna. Both signals are two edge signals, but one is farther away and running less power. Right now WXIA is at 100 signal strength and 100 quality, so I have some headroom to work with. Just have to find the sweet spot so that I can receive both. Also I think by moving to another mast, I can get up about 15 ft higher which may (or may not) help. It has not been an issue in the past because we never watched WGTV, but now my wife is interested in some of their programming.
Nice diagrams …. Would you please explain how you plot them ?
post #16749 of 16834 Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Cool ".... in standby for a week ...."

Quote:
My experience, using two channels that I generally keep track of is that there is a PSIP update (at least for those two channels) sometime between 4PM and 5PM Central Time, and again between 1AM and 2AM Central Time. That's when the listings for Mannix (airs 1:00AM, MeTV on channel 21.2) and the rerun of the Midday Matinee (airs 2:00AM, TBD on channel 47.4) first appear in the Guide. Between 1AM and 2AM the listings for the first run of Midday Matinee (airs 10:00AM, TBD on channel 47.4) shows up. I don't know when the morning PSIP update for those channels occurs. I'm also fairly sure that those updates occur in the first half hour of the times I provided. I am not sure if those updates occur for all channels in my area, or if the times are the same for all broadcast markets in the country.

Actually, my experience with v114R is similar to what I saw with v108R. It seemed to work, but over the course of a week ground to a halt one channel at a time. But it is hard to pin down for either version since viewing a channel, even for a brief period will update the PSIP data for that channel. I know that when I got the DVR+ I had a lot of programs on different channels set to record as Series recordings. It was when a recording failed to record that I noticed something was amiss. Other channels, such as the Fox affiliate where I would watch the news between 5PM and 6PM would tend to stay populated in the Guide, at least for prime time. I seldom watch TV in the morning. It was when I would investigate the channels that failed I noticed that the Guide would populate with data shortly after tuning to them. That, in turn inspired the idea for dummy recordings. The real test, for all versions would be to not have any timer recordings set up, and leave the DVR+ in standby for a week and tuned to an innocuous channel. Then power it up and pull up the Guide to see what channels still have PSIP data.

Hey, I still do that!
My second DVR+ (it's still on version 115R BTW) has no need of internet and has been in standby (no programmed recordings active) for well over a month.

It's connected to the second Samsung in my sig and as a 2014 4K unit, accepts 115R, the 2015 4K version demands the 132R or more recent version to function at all (an HDMI-2 demand). I've had it on 135R and internet guide has consistently displayed the full two weeks of information, but I still rely on Titan-TV for the most complete and accurate information.

I turned it (second DVR+) on to check its PSIP and it instantly displayed my 'normal' 12 to 24 hour guide (PBS channels were at 12 hour lead, but most of the rest went out 24 hours).

It is my habit to tune any TV or DVR to a PBS station before entering standby. Not just for best PSIP and 'time' signal, but primarily that it is less likely to turn on into an annoying commercial.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 09-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #16750 of 16834 Old 09-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Nice diagrams …. Would you please explain how you plot them ?
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Enter location, click search
Click Move Pushpin to Center Map View, click Go
A list of your local stations will pop up
Click on the mileage in the Transmitter Distance column and the map will pop up
P Smith and pachinko like this.
post #16751 of 16834 Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
My second DVR+ (it's still on version 115R BTW) has no need of internet and has been in standby (no programmed recordings active) for well over a month.

I turned it (second DVR+) on to check its PSIP and it instantly displayed my 'normal' 12 to 24 hour guide (PBS channels were at 12 hour lead, but most of the rest went out 24 hours).

It is my habit to tune any TV or DVR to a PBS station before entering standby. Not just for best PSIP and 'time' signal, but primarily that it is less likely to turn on into an annoying commercial.
Art
Interesting! I have a DVR+ with the rare 115R; maybe I should try it out sans Internet and see how it does, compared to Greasemonkey's recollection of his experience with 114R.

Maybe we finally found out what they fixed between 114R and 115R! But if so, the fix apparently didn't make it into later firmware versions
pilotart likes this.
post #16752 of 16834 Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you saying that all the channels had PSIP Guide data of some length after the DVR+ had been in standby for a month? No channels showing "Unknown Event" for the current time in the grid? If so, that kind of upends everything. I seriously doubt that this is a hardware issue, where some DVR+ units work and some don't.

Quote:
Interesting! I have a DVR+ with the rare 115R; maybe I should try it out sans Internet and see how it does, compared to Greasemonkey's recollection of his experience with 114R.

Maybe we finally found out what they fixed between 114R and 115R! But if so, the fix apparently didn't make it into later firmware versions
It's been a solid 4 years, but my memory is that I was thrilled $#!+less the first few days after I got it, but noticed trouble after that when I started missing timer recordings. I don't think I connected the dots because I would also watch TV without recording, and in hindsight it is apparent that would have populated the Guide for those channels. I can't imagine that the Guide was defective until v115R, then was fixed, only to be broken again after that. That would mean they were just messin' with us all these years.
post #16753 of 16834 Old 09-05-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, things can certainly get fixed, then get broken again. It happens often enough that the software industry even has a word for it: "regression." A good example from the DVR+ itself is the 2 TiB disk limit. It was fixed in 124R, then promptly broken again in 132R, never to be fixed again (I never understood how CM or E* let that happen, since IIRC they were pretty defensive about it, having sold a 3 TB external HDD for the DVR+ that couldn't even be fully utilized until 124R.) So it wouldn't totally surprise me if something similar happened with PSIP guide handling.

But it would be somewhat surprising - not to mention frustrating. If the Internet guide goes bye-bye, DVR+ firmware that works correctly with PSIP will suddenly be in high demand. But since DVR+'s are designed to be quite insistent about updating themselves if they have unrestricted Internet access, I doubt there are more than a dozen DVR+'s with 115R left in the whole world.

115R has always been a bit of a mystery. It was never released as an update - the only DVR+'s that have it are ones that shipped with it and haven't been updated since - so CM never told us what changed from 114R, and folks who had a 114R DVR+ and got a 115R one didn't see any obvious differences. But presumably something must be different - why bump the version number if nothing at all changed?
post #16754 of 16834 Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Cool PSIP Guide function

I would imagine the PSIP quality would have to do with your location and available channels.

I'm in the SW Florida 'market' area and see similar response from my Samsung TV's guide (also PSIP driven), in that it's instantly available on turn-on and provides 12 hours out for PBS and 24 hours for most other channels. Some of the LP channels have no information.

As far as 115R; my first as well as one of the two from the "Fourth of July Deal" came with 115R which I jealously guarded by successfully blocking CM's update URL's. Then when I got a new TV with the 2015 introduced HDMI-2 (Necessary for 4K HDMI from a Stream+ or 4K Blue-ray or other peripheral supply) I found that on 115R, there was no usable output from DVR+, so I was forced to upgrade into 134R (now 135R) for the DVR+ feeding my HDMI-2 TV.

Third DVR+ is with my 2014 TV (which is primarily used as a monitor for my desktop Win-8 computer). I have that DVR+ connected to an indoor MOHU Antenna which gets most of the channels. Network Ethernet is available, but I prefer 115R's (flat) Remote functionality over 135R's 14 day TV Guide as well as expecting the day to come when PSIP will be the only option.
Art
post #16755 of 16834 Old 09-07-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would imagine the PSIP quality would have to do with your location and available channels.

I'm in the SW Florida 'market' area and see similar response from my Samsung TV's guide (also PSIP driven), in that it's instantly available on turn-on and provides 12 hours out for PBS and 24 hours for most other channels. Some of the LP channels have no information.
Art
Yes, of course; but the problem Greasemonkey has been battling is specific to the DVR+.

He too is using PSIP data for the guide, and when first booted it looks much as yours does (except our PBS station gives us 72 hours ). But over time, it starts to lose guide data. Unless countermeasures are taken, eventually channels that had guide data after boot-up show none, causing name-based recordings to be missed.

He had this problem with 114R and 132R, and developed two countermeasures:

1. Dummy 5-minute recordings on each "important" channel twice per day
  2. Rebooting the DVR via a plug-in timer
Both work, but are a hassle, so I suggested 108R. It seemed better at first, but eventually showed the same issue. That's why we were so surprised at your report that 115R had kept its guide properly updated for a month.
pilotart likes this.
post #16756 of 16834 Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Both work, but are a hassle, so I suggested 108R. It seemed better at first, but eventually showed the same issue. That's why we were so surprised at your report that 115R had kept its guide properly updated for a month.
And now that I am back in town I am in the process of flying naked with v134R to see how it compares to v108R in terms of keeping PSIP data up to date. To maintain consistency, I started this control phase at 6:00PM, as I did during the v108R experiment. I removed the power supply for the DVR+ from the digital timer and plugged it directly into the UPS. It has rebooted and is populating the Guide as I type. If I am correctly remembering my experience/posts from a couple of weeks ago, getting close to 48 hours of decent PSIP data before encountering a problem would make v134R comparable to v108R in the beginning. If that doesn't happen we will know fairly quickly how the two versions compare.
post #16757 of 16834 Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think that's right. IIRC your experiment with 108R, there was an outage at 44 hours, but it eventually corrected itself. Then around 120 hours, it went out again and never came back. So it seems like it tries to work, and does for a while, but there's a memory leak or other bug that eventually leads to failures.

There is likely a random element to this, so I'd be surprised if the timing repeats exactly, but if the results are "similar" it would imply that 134R and 108R handle PSIP the same way.

So, looking forward to your results. But unless 134R performs unexpectedly well, I'll probably hook up my other DVR+ with the rare 115R, and see if I can reproduce Pilotart's outstanding results.
post #16758 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi guys! Looks like a lot of knowledge here. My DVR+ has been very good for years now. No missed recordings or guide info.
It is time for a new external hard drive. I am just wondering what the largest drives are that people are using successfully currently? I am running version 135R (0.5). Would I need to go back to an earlier software version so use more than 2TB? Thank you very much for any help.
post #16759 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think that's right. IIRC your experiment with 108R, there was an outage at 44 hours, but it eventually corrected itself. Then around 120 hours, it went out again and never came back. So it seems like it tries to work, and does for a while, but there's a memory leak or other bug that eventually leads to failures.
And after about 17 hours, v134R seems to be replicating the performance of v108R. After powering up, the local Fox affiliate (channel 4), their sister station (channel 27), NBC affiliate (5) and CBS affiliate (11) are currently displaying PSIP data until Wednesday, 10:00AM, or 47 hours. The local PBS channel (13) is displaying 71 hours. Other channels are displaying between 11 and 23 hours of PSIP data, including the LP stations that I refer to as the "canaries in the coal mine".
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16760 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Robby View Post
Hi guys! Looks like a lot of knowledge here. My DVR+ has been very good for years now. No missed recordings or guide info.
It is time for a new external hard drive. I am just wondering what the largest drives are that people are using successfully currently? I am running version 135R (0.5). Would I need to go back to an earlier software version so use more than 2TB? Thank you very much for any help.
I think 4TB is the largest so far. But you must revert to 124R in order to format a drive over 2TB so that all of it could be used. Once formatted, you can update back to 135R.

Be aware that not all hard drives over 2TB will format correctly, even with 124R. The DVR+ only supports MBR partition tables, so drives over 2TB are only supported if the USB interface uses sector sizes over 512 bytes. Otherwise, you'll actually get less usable capacity with 124R than with 135R.

After formatting, you must check the drive's partitions on a PC to see how much capacity was used. The DVR+ will always report the drive's capacity, not the size of the partitions created during formatting.

Finally, be aware that if a drive is formatted with one firmware version, then reformatted with another firmware version, the partition sizes will not change! So if you format with 135R, you must remove the partitions with a PC to force 124R firmware to create new (hopefully larger) partitions. Also, if 124R creates small partitions (due to 512-byte sectors on a large drive), you must remove them with a PC to force 135R to create partitions using the full 2TB that can be used on a 512-byte sectored drive.
post #16761 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

24 hours in with the v134R test and I've just looked at my post reporting the v108R performance. The two versions have so far performed very similarly. The PSIP data for the local Fox affiliate (channel 4), their sister station (channel 27), NBC affiliate (5) and CBS affiliate (11) are still showing 45 hours of PSIP data, while the PBS channel (13) is displaying 68 hours. The independent and LP stations are showing between 12 and 23 hours of PSIP data. So the differences are within 3 hours or so, which I consider very negligible. I've tried to keep changing channels to a minimum, but even changing channels for a short time, timer recordings, etc. can cause PSIP data to update, which could account for a few hours of data here and there. A big test will come tomorrow at about this time, which is 48 hours in to the experiment and when the PSIP data started to not appear. If that happens and the pattern holds true, the PSIP data will return on the third and fourth days, then start to drop off in a big way after that. If history repeats itself, memory leaks are the only logical explanation I can think of to explain it.
post #16762 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I think 4TB is the largest so far. But you must revert to 124R in order to format a drive over 2TB so that all of it could be used. Once formatted, you can update back to 135R.

Be aware that not all hard drives over 2TB will format correctly, even with 124R. The DVR+ only supports MBR partition tables, so drives over 2TB are only supported if the USB interface uses sector sizes over 512 bytes. Otherwise, you'll actually get less usable capacity with 124R than with 135R.

After formatting, you must check the drive's partitions on a PC to see how much capacity was used. The DVR+ will always report the drive's capacity, not the size of the partitions created during formatting.

Finally, be aware that if a drive is formatted with one firmware version, then reformatted with another firmware version, the partition sizes will not change! So if you format with 135R, you must remove the partitions with a PC to force 124R firmware to create new (hopefully larger) partitions. Also, if 124R creates small partitions (due to 512-byte sectors on a large drive), you must remove them with a PC to force 135R to create partitions using the full 2TB that can be used on a 512-byte sectored drive.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Has anybody found a 4TB drive that works well with the DVR+?
Thanks in advance.
post #16763 of 16834 Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Has anybody found a 4TB drive that works well with the DVR+?
Thanks in advance.
I recall some posts here regarding 4TB drive … search/read back the thread
post #16764 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Here's a list of hard drives that people have verified that work with the DVR+. Starting at post #31 , @pachinko describes setting up a 4TB WDBYFT0040BBK-0A hard drive.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by Arenal04; 09-17-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Remove link for "#31".
post #16765 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I recall some posts here regarding 4TB drive … search/read back the thread
Thx! Will do. The 559 pages were a little daunting. Lol
post #16766 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Here's a list of hard drives that people have verified that work with the DVR+. Starting at post #31 describes setting up a 4TB WDBYFT0040BBK-0A hard drive.
Fantastic, thanks so much!!
post #16767 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM

If I reformat a hard drive with 124R that already had recordings on it, will I lose the recordings?
post #16768 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
If I reformat a hard drive with 124R that already had recordings on it, will I lose the recordings?
Definitely.

Here's a procedure for copying files from one hard drive to another. Which is what you'll have to do to preserve your existing recordings.

Procedure for copying ALL files from one HDD to another:

1. If there are any files that came on the New HDD, connect it to a computer and backup those files if you want to keep them.

2. Allow the DVR+ to format the New USB HDD.

3. Properly disconnect the New HDD (without making any recordings that you want to keep).

4. If you’re using Windows, be sure to use Ext2Fsd version 0.62. The earlier version does NOT allow deleting the files on the USB HDD that the DVR+ created.

5. Attach the New USB HDD to the computer, and delete every file in both partitions (there should be very few files).

6. Attach the Old USB HDD, and copy everything from the Old to the New USB HDD. Do NOT Move the files, just in case something goes wrong. If you can’t attach both drives at the same time, then first copy the files from the Old drive to the computer, then copy to the New drive.

7. Properly disconnect the New USB HDD from the computer and connect it to the DVR+ while nothing is recording (blue light).

8. Check that everything looks good on the New USB HDD and test play some recordings.

9. When satisfied all is well, you can reclaim the Old USB HDD.

Unfortunately, I didn't record who originally wrote this up, so I can't give proper credit. Tho, I suspect it was our resident DVR+ guru, @pachinko .
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.
post #16769 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Definitely.

Here's a procedure for copying files from one hard drive to another. Which is what you'll have to do to preserve your existing recordings.

Procedure for copying ALL files from one HDD to another:

1. If there are any files that came on the New HDD, connect it to a computer and backup those files if you want to keep them.

2. Allow the DVR+ to format the New USB HDD.

3. Properly disconnect the New HDD (without making any recordings that you want to keep).

4. If you’re using Windows, be sure to use Ext2Fsd version 0.62. The earlier version does NOT allow deleting the files on the USB HDD that the DVR+ created.

5. Attach the New USB HDD to the computer, and delete every file in both partitions (there should be very few files).

6. Attach the Old USB HDD, and copy everything from the Old to the New USB HDD. Do NOT Move the files, just in case something goes wrong. If you can’t attach both drives at the same time, then first copy the files from the Old drive to the computer, then copy to the New drive.

7. Properly disconnect the New USB HDD from the computer and connect it to the DVR+ while nothing is recording (blue light).

8. Check that everything looks good on the New USB HDD and test play some recordings.

9. When satisfied all is well, you can reclaim the Old USB HDD.

Unfortunately, I didn't record who originally wrote this up, so I can't give proper credit. Tho, I suspect it was our resident DVR+ guru, @pachinko .
Wow buddy, you're so helpful. Thank you!!
post #16770 of 16834 Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

And history repeats itself. I'm seeing the same behavior I references in post #167724 . In fact, the behavior is so close I am merely cutting and pasting below what I posted then:

Quote:
Post #167724
Well, we have a possible fly in the ointment, here. I powered down the DVR+ about 2:00AM. This morning, around 11:00AM, all the major networks and channels still had PSIP data through the day. Some, such as PBS still had at least 40 hours of PSIP data. But several channels, those I consider the "canaries in the coal mine" were showing "Unknown Event" for all programming past 1:30PM. Those stations and their channels (I'm including their numbers for reference purposes) included the local Daystar affiliate and their duplicate channel (2.1/51.1), the channel series that hosts Spanish programming, Bounce, Escape and Laff (23.1 - 23.4), Another Spanish channel (39.1 - 39.2), a station that airs Indian (subcontinent) and Korean programming (44.1 - 44.8), though it should be noted that only 44.1 ever showed programming titles. Also included was the station that carries Comet, Charge and TBD (47.1 - 47.5), the station that carries Get and Grit (49.1 - 49.3), and a station that caries Vietnamese, religious and business programming (55.1 - 55.7).
So now I make the "history repeating prediction", also cut and pasted from the same post:

Quote:
Now here's the interesting part. I next checked the Guide at 5:38PM, and all the channels previous mentioned were stocked with PSIP data, with the exception of channel 44.1. Where it normally reads "Punjabi Tunes", it still was showing "Unknown Event". All of these channels were also displaying program descriptions in addition to titles.
Me thinks the game is afoot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page