Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 561 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4259Likes

post #16801 of 16908 Old 10-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
At any rate, one of two things will happen this week: either the issue will be fixed in time and we'll get an up-to-date guide again, or it won't and we'll all revert to PSIP until it does get fixed.
IF it gets fixed.

I suggest everyone that has a DVR+ put in a help request to let them know that there are a lot of us hoping that CM won't be abandoning us.

I've already entered mine.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

P Smith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16802 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
IF it gets fixed.
I just did another guide refresh this morning after verifying that the guide only went out through 7AM this Wednesday. After waiting a half hour or so, the guide now goes out to 7AM on Sunday October 27th. Not quite 14 days, but MUCH better. They did something, perhaps in response to the support requests.

Is this the way it's going to be? We may have to ping them and beg for guide every week or two.
post #16803 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Is this the way it's going to be? We may have to ping them and beg for guide every week or two.
Indeed !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16804 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Anyone else having the issue with their DVR+ that my guide seems to stop on Monday night (2 days from tonight)? I've tried refreshing the guide several times, but it will be interesting to see what happens late Monday.
I just checked my guide in Minneapolis, MN and it goes to Oct. 27. Yesterday it only went to Wednesday the 16th. There is hope that they will keep updating the guide.
post #16805 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Indeed !
Here is Channel Master's reply:

The guide company was made aware of the issue with the guide data that you have been experiencing, and they were able to get that issue resolved over the weekend. Please follow the step below to get the guide information updated. Thank you

Please go to Menu>Settings>Channel Setup>Antenna Channels>Refresh Internet Guide Data. When you start this it will not look like it's doing anything on the DVR+, but the update is happening in the background. It will take about 45 minutes to an hour complete, but if you notice that nothing is loading at all please give it a full 24 hours. Once this time has passed please check your guide to see if this has updated the guide info.
post #16806 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Good news from CM:

Quote:
Jim

Oct 13, 6:00 PM MST

The internet EPG is only going out 72 hours for many of us, instead of the week+ it used to. Also a lot of the program information is missing and/or completely wrong. I'm sure you are already aware of it. What is going on, and is the EPG going to be restored to it's former glory? A lot of us are hoping you aren't going to let the DVR+ units have to rely on PSIP data. You've got a lot of DVR+ owners trusting that you'll keep this going.

Quote:
Chris (Channel Master Support)

Oct 14, 8:26 AM MST

Mr Menning,

The guide company was made aware of the issue with the guide data that you have been experiencing, and they were able to get that issue resolved over the weekend. Please follow the step below to get the guide information updated. Thank you

Please go to Menu>Settings>Channel Setup>Antenna Channels>Refresh Internet Guide Data. When you start this it will not look like it's doing anything on the DVR+, but the update is happening in the background. It will take about 45 minutes to an hour complete, but if you notice that nothing is loading at all please give it a full 24 hours. Once this time has passed please check your guide to see if this has updated the guide info.

Regards,
Channel Master Support [email protected]
post #16807 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Not only that (mine goes to Tuesday night and then stops as of right now), but the guide seems to have a bunch of accuracy issues -- the entirety of CBS prime time tonight is "to be announced", and Tuesday's CW primetime schedule is just wrong, listing the summer shows that just finished instead of the correct fall schedule of "The Flash" and "Arrow".

In general, it seems that the program guide has been getting less and less accurate (shows not correctly marked as "new", or simply missing), and has been more erratic about when updates occur and how far out they go.

Is this what other people are experiencing? FYI, I'm the Dallas/Fort Worth area, since issue may vary by market.
I've had this issue since I updated to the 135R. I've always since 135R had wrong names and at best 7 days of guide. Being in the Phoenix area you would think that CM would at least have this market working for home base.

Most of my recordings are manual I can't trust the 135R guide and time which I also have set manual.
post #16808 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Internet Guide Problems

Like a lot of you, I have been having intermittent Internet Guide problems for most of 2019 including the latest outage over the last few days. I sent an email to Channel Master support over the weekend describing my problems:
Earlier this year I could not get the guide data using my home zip code and switched to two other zip codes in Maryland that did work. These were the only working zip codes I could find in Maryland. Later my home zip code guide started working and I switched back to it.

Starting earlier this year I have had another issue where, even though the DVR+ indicates that updates are occurring every day, new data is not being added to the guide every day. Typically I have only gotten new data in the updates on Fridays which goes out to the Tuesday 11 days later. Immediately prior to the Friday update, I then only have 4 days of guide data.

On 10/11 (Friday), I did not get new data in the guide. As of my 10/13 internet guide update, the guide data only went through 10/14 (Tuesday). The other issue during this period was that some time blocks were listed as unavailable right up to the time they occurred instead of having the proper title. This resulted in my scheduled recordings not working for these time blocks. Other time blocks did not contain the details that would be expected if normal guide updates were occurring.
Who else has been having the above problems?

I got the same response to my email from Channel Master that others got:
I followed the directions on 10/14 and amazingly the Internet Guide was fixed in less than 5 minutes with valid guide data out to 12 days. This was much faster than all previous guide updates which makes be believe that there have been problems all along. I ran a guide update on 10/14 for a second DVR+ with the same result. I will be watching to see if the other problems I have been having are also fixed.

Hopefully Channel Master will continue supporting the DVR+ Internet Guide!
pilotart likes this.
post #16809 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
I've had this issue since I updated to the 135R. I've always since 135R had wrong names and at best 7 days of guide. Being in the Phoenix area you would think that CM would at least have this market working for home base.

Most of my recordings are manual I can't trust the 135R guide and time which I also have set manual.
If you are relying on manual recordings when what you want are name based series recording you might do just as well, or better with the PSIP guide. You're going to have hassles with both the Internet and PSIP guides, but at least with the PSIP guide you won't miss a recording if it airs at a different time on on a different day. Also, if the Internet guide isn't accurate, it means you are probably having to resort to checking an online guide like Zap2it on a regular basis to correlate program times with manual recordings. Granted, with PSIP you will have to choose ways to keep the Guide up to date, though with either method you will be spending less time fiddling with your DVR+ to record and watch the programs you want.

If you have your DVR+ date and time set to manual because the Internet time is inaccurate, that's interesting. That's an indication that the time is being set by the guide provider and not an Internet time server. That inaccuracy would also be corrected (for the most part) with PSIP and the DVR+ set to Automatic Date and Time.
post #16810 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2854 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Quote:

Unfortunately, it's not as if you can go back to 134R and all will be well. It's 135R's Internet guide or PSIP.
Quote:
I've had similar issues with the Micro$oft-provided guide for Windows Media Center for at least the last year or two. The guide will stop updating for a while, often getting down to only a day or two remaining before someone at Rovi and/or M$ (whose guide uses Rovi data) gets it going again. It's even run out completely once or twice before they get it fixed. However, the M$ and CM guide outages don't seem to be correlated. Usually both don't go out at the same time.
I think these kinds of problems are inherent in the design (users download guide data from a server, which in turn gets guide data from a guide provider - Rovi or whoever). Adding the "middleman" server between the guide provider and the end user provides more chances for something to go wrong.

I've been using two DVRs: the DVR+ set for name-based recordings, and a DTVPal (which only does time-based recordings). When the DVR+ guide runs too low, the DVR+ misses recordings, and when the program airs at a different time, the DTVPal misses it; but rarely do they both miss!
post #16811 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think these kinds of problems are inherent in the design (users download guide data from a server, which in turn gets guide data from a guide provider - Rovi or whoever). Adding the "middleman" server between the guide provider and the end user provides more chances for something to go wrong.
Short of the guide provider also being the company that sells the DVR I don't see any way around this other than this:

The DVR contacts the DVR vendor's server, which in turn initiates a handshake with the guide provider's server and authenticates access. The DVR is then connected to the guide provider's server where it downloads the guide data. The company selling the DVR doesn't have to maintain their own guide server, and if they change guide providers the process is invisible to the user of the DVR. No FW upgrade needed. They in effect act like a bouncer at the head of a rope line for a hip new nightclub, derisively rejecting the other geeky DVR's and letting the right DVR's pass through to the fun that awaits them.
post #16812 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Short of the guide provider also being the company that sells the DVR I don't see any way around this other than this:

The DVR contacts the DVR vendor's server, which in turn initiates a handshake with the guide provider's server and authenticates access. The DVR is then connected to the guide provider's server where it downloads the guide data. The company selling the DVR doesn't have to maintain their own guide server, and if they change guide providers the process is invisible to the user of the DVR. No FW upgrade needed. They in effect act like a bouncer at the head of a rope line for a hip new nightclub, derisively rejecting the other geeky DVR's and letting the right DVR's pass through to the fun that awaits them.
That's all well and good, but when the guy at the far end (the guide provider) drops the ball and doesn't update the guide for more than a week, we get stale guide from a week to two weeks ago with unknown program in the slots at the end that haven't been filled in. Then someone wakes them up and says "do your job" and as if by a miracle, the guide is relatively complete again, only to dwindle down over the next two weeks as the guide provider slacks off again. For all we know, it's some guy in his basement who looks it all up on zap2it or tvguide or rovi or comcast (when he has time) and copies it to his server in some kind of semi-automated fashion, and collects a check from CM each month he sort-of does his job.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16813 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
That's all well and good, but when the guy at the far end (the guide provider) drops the ball and doesn't update the guide for more than a week, we get stale guide from a week to two weeks ago with unknown program in the slots at the end that haven't been filled in. Then someone wakes them up and says "do your job" and as if by a miracle, the guide is relatively complete again, only to dwindle down over the next two weeks as the guide provider slacks off again. For all we know, it's some guy in his basement who looks it all up on zap2it or tvguide or rovi or comcast (when he has time) and copies it to his server in some kind of semi-automated fashion, and collects a check from CM each month he sort-of does his job.
I freely admit that I don't know how companies that publish guides actually produce them. But I can't imagine that there is an employee that is either typing them up or copying and pasting it for all the Zip Codes in the United States. I'm thinking that 95% of compiling guides is done automatically via computer. Yes, at some point, some person is going to have to type up the meta data that accompanies every program. But I suspect the people doing the typing are all people directly involved with the production of the specific programs. Then someone associated with the production company uploads all the meta data to the guide providers. The guide providers then parse the data for the various Zip Codes and put it in .XML format for their clients around the country. But I admit I could be wrong. My local area has two stations that carry the Charge! network. I've noticed that for the PSIP guide, the program descriptions and sometimes titles are different for the two stations carrying Charge! One station (33.3) shows very brief, one sentence program descriptions for movies. The other station (47.3) shows detailed program descriptions that are several sentences in length. But this past week I noticed that 33.3 was showing "Dances With Wolves: Extended Director's Cut" (or some similar title) as the title, whereas 47.3 was simply showing "Dances With Wolves". So clearly each station is able to obtain their PSIP data from sources of their choosing, and those sources have access to different sources of meta data, at least for older programming. But I would bet that for current network programming it all comes from the same place.

So in the end, I think that the problem is more related to maintaining connectivity, server maintenance, etc. and not someone taking the time to acquire the data used in the guides.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16814 of 16908 Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, I was contrasting the current setup with the pre-135R one, where the DVR+ contacted Rovi's servers directly. Presumably there was some sort of challenge/response authentication built into the DVR+'s firmware, so the DVR+ could get access without going through a "middleman" as happens now.

The Rovi guide had its share of problems (remember OTA_Jay ranting and raving about his guide issues?) but the overall design seemed both secure and more reliable than the current setup.

The big drawback to the old system, of course, is that it would take a firmware update to change guide providers; so I can understand why, with the DVR+ winding down, CM changed it with its last firmware update. But it requires more attention from all the parties involved to keep things from breaking down.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #16815 of 16908 Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
If you are relying on manual recordings when what you want are name based series recording you might do just as well, or better with the PSIP guide. You're going to have hassles with both the Internet and PSIP guides, but at least with the PSIP guide you won't miss a recording if it airs at a different time on on a different day. Also, if the Internet guide isn't accurate, it means you are probably having to resort to checking an online guide like Zap2it on a regular basis to correlate program times with manual recordings. Granted, with PSIP you will have to choose ways to keep the Guide up to date, though with either method you will be spending less time fiddling with your DVR+ to record and watch the programs you want.

If you have your DVR+ date and time set to manual because the Internet time is inaccurate, that's interesting. That's an indication that the time is being set by the guide provider and not an Internet time server. That inaccuracy would also be corrected (for the most part) with PSIP and the DVR+ set to Automatic Date and Time.
Quote:
That must be it, it must be getting the time from the CM server and not the internet guide. The first time it was 20 minutes off second and third times it was an hour off and the forth time it was 22 minutes off. That does seem more like a CM screw up rather than a internet screw up. This last time when AGT did not start on time I did check the guide and it did show the 22 minutes off too.

Five minutes does seem like a TV station since they are off that much a lot of the time.
Quote:
Last night I found out why one of my recordings about 10 months ago started 20 minutes late. Last night at 7:02 pm I noticed that the red light was not on and it was schedule to record AGT from 7 - 9. So I turned on the DVR + and noticed that the time was 22 minutes off. So I tuned the channel and pressed record, nothing happened, so I went to the time setting, but it would not let me change the time unless I changed the time zone. Then it started to record. After setting back to the correct time zone it still had the wrong time 22 minutes.

This morning I checked it and it had the correct time so I did a warm boot anyway.
Yes I check Zap2it every morning to see what is new and I cancel the recordings for the old ones.
It took me a year to figure out what was happening with the missing recording and recording that started late.
post #16816 of 16908 Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The big drawback to the old system, of course, is that it would take a firmware update to change guide providers; so I can understand why, with the DVR+ winding down, CM changed it with its last firmware update. But it requires more attention from all the parties involved to keep things from breaking down.
The interesting thing about that is since it did take a FW update, CM basically became the guide provider. They get the guide data from somewhere, but apparently host it on their own server. That begs the question as to why they chose to do that instead of simply contracting with another guide provider. I understand that E* wouldn't be doing any more updates. But CM could have had the final update point to one of their own servers, that in turn redirects all requests to the servers of whoever is providing the guide, along with authentication credentials. If they again changed guide providers before they drove a stake through the free Internet guide once and for all, they would only need to change the redirect on their server.

Quote:
Yes I check Zap2it every morning to see what is new and I cancel the recordings for the old ones.
It took me a year to figure out what was happening with the missing recording and recording that started late.
I check Zap2it a few times a week to see program descriptions and get the old long range scans on what is coming up two weeks out. That's the big drawback of PSIP. But having to check it every day to maintaining daily viewing/recording behaviors is a lot like washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. PSIP doesn't provide a lot of lead time on scheduling programming, but it is very reliable for the time it covers. Yeah, 2 weeks of PSIP data is not realistic. But if 80% of the stations, including all the major stations, provide a solid week of PSIP data would people gladly dump a sometimes unreliable Internet guide for PSIP?
post #16817 of 16908 Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The interesting thing about that is since it did take a FW update, CM basically became the guide provider. They get the guide data from somewhere, but apparently host it on their own server.
Yes, that's basically correct, at least as I understand it.
Quote:
That begs the question as to why they chose to do that instead of simply contracting with another guide provider.
When we were forced to update to 135R last Sept., my guess was that they didn't actually change the guide provider at that time. It still looked like Rovi's data, based on comparing with the WMC guide. But the new "middleman" setup gives CM the flexibility to change the guide provider any time they want, without having to update the firmware yet again. (Rovi may have preferred the new setup as well, since their own servers only have to service CM's one server now, vs. all the individual DVR+'s out there.)

For all we know, CM may have changed the DVR+ guide provider one or more times since then, but it would all be transparent to us, since the DVR+ always gets guide data from CM's server now, no matter who their upstream provider is. That's also (probably) why Micro$oft chose the same setup for Windows Media Center. A few years ago M$ actually did change their provider, from Zap2It / Gracenote to Rovi, but that change didn't require a software update to Media Center.

So despite the new method's drawbacks, I have to give CM some credit for taking steps to keep its Internet guide alive. They rather famously didn't do that with the CM-7400, which had a paid ($50/year) Internet guide. That's one reason many of us were so cynical about the DVR+'s future when manufacturing was discontinued.
Quote:
2 weeks of PSIP data is not realistic.
Depends on what "realistic" means. It's technically feasible, and the required bit-rate would be quite reasonable, but most stations have shown little interest in providing more than a few days. (It's even conceivable that stations are contractually prohibited from providing "too much" data, and competing with their guide provider's paid offerings, but I have no proof of that.) Our DVR+'s are one of only a very few device models that show more than a day's worth of PSIP, so the vast majority of viewers wouldn't know the difference even if stations did provide two weeks of PSIP guide data.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #16818 of 16908 Old 10-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But the new "middleman" setup gives CM the flexibility to change the guide provider any time they want, without having to update the firmware yet again. (Rovi may have preferred the new setup as well, since their own servers only have to service CM's one server now, vs. all the individual DVR+'s out there.)
I hadn't considered that this setup may be because the guide provider wanted it that way. That's a good point.

Quote:
Depends on what "realistic" means. It's technically feasible, and the required bit-rate would be quite reasonable, but most stations have shown little interest in providing more than a few days.
I meant that based on what stations currently provide it isn't realistic to think they would provide the maximum amount of PSIP data they could.

Quote:
(It's even conceivable that stations are contractually prohibited from providing "too much" data, and competing with their guide provider's paid offerings, but I have no proof of that.) Our DVR+'s are one of only a very few device models that show more than a day's worth of PSIP, so the vast majority of viewers wouldn't know the difference even if stations did provide two weeks of PSIP guide data.
Contractual obligations could be a factor, though people can see two weeks worth of programming on Zap2it for free, and the people who have cable or satellite can't really be seen as competing with OTA viewers. As for most devices seeing only a day's worth of PSIP programming, my Philips DVDR only shows programming information for the current show on the active channel. My Samsung TV shows current and next shows on the active channel. The DVR is the only device I have with a real grid EPG. To me that just means that a grid style guide on TV's would be an excellent selling point for people who are cutting the cord and looking to buy a new TV. I'm also thinking that a grid style guide would be SOP for TV's when ATSC 3.0 becomes entrenched.
post #16819 of 16908 Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Contractual obligations could be a factor, though people can see two weeks worth of programming on Zap2it for free....
True, you can see a free 2-week guide online, but Zap2it's Terms of Service prohibit doing pretty much anything beyond looking. If you want to use their guide data in a product, you have to work out a deal with Gracenote.
Quote:
As for most devices seeing only a day's worth of PSIP programming, my Philips DVDR only shows programming information for the current show on the active channel. My Samsung TV shows current and next shows on the active channel. The DVR is the only device I have with a real grid EPG. To me that just means that a grid style guide on TV's would be an excellent selling point for people who are cutting the cord and looking to buy a new TV. I'm also thinking that a grid style guide would be SOP for TV's when ATSC 3.0 becomes entrenched.
Yes, a lot of devices don't even do a full day! One day is pretty much the upper limit, with a few exceptions.

Besides the DVR+ and DTVPal DVRs, the DTVPal and Apex DT250 converter boxes go out more than one day. I think the CM-7004 (and the Insignia clone of it) does too, although I haven't checked. And I'm sure there are a few more that I don't know about, but I seriously doubt there's much more.

The intent for ATSC 3.0 is that devices will be Internet-connected, so they may provide guides via the Internet, much as the DVR+ does if it's connected. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if broadcast guide data becomes completely optional under ATSC 3.0 regulations.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #16820 of 16908 Old 10-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The intent for ATSC 3.0 is that devices will be Internet-connected, so they may provide guides via the Internet, much as the DVR+ does if it's connected. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if broadcast guide data becomes completely optional under ATSC 3.0 regulations.
I think that this, and the possibility of a true DVR+ replacement all come down to whether or not the trends of cord cutting and increasing purchase of OTA antennas continues. If it does, the market will drive the progress in the direction of longer range PSIP data and grid style guides. It will most likely be a shock for streamers and cable/sat subscribers to lose their grid guides. And if they howl, the TV manufacturers will respond in kind. And if more and more people buy OTA antennas TV stations will respond to their needs. And if both those things happen, CM and other sellers of the devices electronic will meet that demand by producing DVR's.
post #16821 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 AM

I got the email from CM yesterday and I was wondering what are the benefits of the pre amp over the amp or would both be better?
post #16822 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, to start with, the vast majority of folks should just use one amp. Very rarely is a second amp needed in an OTA environment.

All four of the amplifiers in the email are preamps meant to be installed near your antenna. The new ones are fixed gain - they lack the switch on the "Amplify" preamps to switch between medium and high gain, so you have to know which amount of gain you need before you buy. But they add a switchable FM trap. If strong nearby FM stations are causing interference to your TV reception, you may need that.

The earlier "Amplify" and "Amplify+" preamps differ in that the Amplify+ has separate VHF and UHF inputs, so it's more suitable for folks with separate VHF and UHF antennas.

Preamps like the ones in the email are generally very sensitive (they have a low "noise figure"), so they work best when connected directly to an antenna. They should be installed as near the antenna as feasible. These all come with weatherproof housings that let you install them right on an outdoor antenna mast, before any significant signal strength is lost going though coax cable.

CM also makes "distribution" amps, which weren't listed in the email: the CM-341n series (n indicates the number of outputs). These are the "second amps" that are rarely used. They're less sensitive (higher noise figure) but can handle stronger signals without overloading. The most common use is boosting signals before splitting them, in order to send the signals through long cable runs. You might use them if you're setting up a master antenna for an apartment complex, for instance.
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.
post #16823 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would open dedicated thread for email/newsletters from CM and do discussing it there... the thread is better suit for DVR+ model, IMO.
post #16824 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As a matter of fact, AVSForum already has a perfect thread for that topic: CM-7777 / 7778: "New & Improved"?

As long as only a single question was posted here, I think it made more sense to answer it here. Two posts won't derail the thread. But sometimes discussions continue; if that starts happening, folks should post further comments to the 7777/7778 thread.
P Smith and pilotart like this.
post #16825 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Kissing their butt. Can't hurt.

I dread the day that my DVR+ stops working.

Some reasons will be easier to take than others - if the circuit board fails, that's just the randomness of consumer electronics and it'll only affect me. And if I pay enough, I can maybe score another one on eBay or OfferUp.

But if CM decides to stop supporting the needed online program guide, that'll be tragic, but, from a business point of view, understandable. So, in a small way, I'm trying to postpone that day by sending the following message to their support page (https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/requests/new).
I turned it into a generic version, in case any of you wish to copy and send your own version to them:

Hello from <insert your location here>!
This will be an unusual support message - I do not need any product support at this time for my DVR+ !
I merely wish to say THANK YOU for selling and supporting such a well-designed and manufactured product that I reliably use for several hours every day since <insert purchase date here>!
Thank you also for continuing to provide the needed program listings, even though you no longer sell the DVR+.

The fact that you support the DVR+ even after you've stopped selling it is very commendable, and I always recommend your products to friends when the subject of cord-cutting comes up!
I wish you, your colleagues and your firm much continued success!

- <insert your name here>
<insert your location here>

It's not much, but it's something.
And, aside from <shudder!> offering to pay for the program guide (clearly, a last resort for cord-cutting cheapos such as myself) it's about all we can do at this time.
If you do decide to send a similar message to them, don't all do it at once, lest they suspect this is some sort of concerted internet stunt.
JHBrandt likes this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Samsung UN60J6200 LED, Yamaha HTR-5860 & RX-V595 AV Receivers, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" & Polk 10" SubWoofs, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's, Polk RTi8's
post #16826 of 16908 Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
I do, as well. But I've got electronics that are 20+ years old and still working great, so that's encouraging. In fact, I've got a Kenwood KR-4400 that has better sound (at least for classical music) than all my new components. And I pipe that music out to a pair of Bozak speakers that are more than 60 years old. If our DVR+ units last half that long I say we are walking away winners.

Quote:
If you do decide to send a similar message to them, don't all do it at once, lest they suspect this is some sort of concerted internet stunt.
That's a good letter. If people send in their own letter they might mix it up a bit, too. Like asking questions such as how long CM plans to provide the free guide, if there is a chance they will release a true replacement for the DVR+ in the future that is fully functional without an Internet connection, etc. CM only has to answer one letter, and then we all will know the answer.
post #16827 of 16908 Old 10-20-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing is the DVR+ is not CM device, but designed and made by dish company.
post #16828 of 16908 Old 10-20-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
One thing is the DVR+ is not CM device, but designed and made by dish company.

While this is true Dish did not sell, promote, distribute and support it. Channel Master did. Channel Master therefor is the right place to go.
post #16829 of 16908 Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Some reasons will be easier to take than others - if the circuit board fails, that's just the randomness of consumer electronics and it'll only affect me. And if I pay enough, I can maybe score another one on eBay or OfferUp.

But if CM decides to stop supporting the needed online program guide, that'll be tragic, but, from a business point of view, understandable. So, in a small way, I'm trying to postpone that day by sending the following message to their support page (https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/requests/new).
I turned it into a generic version, in case any of you wish to copy and send your own version to them:

Hello from <insert your location here>!
This will be an unusual support message - I do not need any product support at this time for my DVR+ !
I merely wish to say THANK YOU for selling and supporting such a well-designed and manufactured product that I reliably use for several hours every day since <insert purchase date here>!
Thank you also for continuing to provide the needed program listings, even though you no longer sell the DVR+.

The fact that you support the DVR+ even after you've stopped selling it is very commendable, and I always recommend your products to friends when the subject of cord-cutting comes up!
I wish you, your colleagues and your firm much continued success!

- <insert your name here>
<insert your location here>

It's not much, but it's something.
And, aside from <shudder!> offering to pay for the program guide (clearly, a last resort for cord-cutting cheapos such as myself) it's about all we can do at this time.
Do we know if a DVR+ is repairable by CM? Has anyone on the thread sent in a DVR+ for repair?
post #16830 of 16908 Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
if there is a chance they will release a true replacement for the DVR+ in the future that is fully functional without an Internet connection, etc. CM only has to answer one letter, and then we all will know the answer.
CM is going to refer you or anyone to the Stream+ as their replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page