Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 564 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4289Likes

post #16891 of 16976 Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Ouch. I suppose the one remaining possibility would be using the DVR+'s optical audio output. You'd need an optical cable and an AVR that could accept it, but that still could be cheaper than replacing the DVR+.

I might be able to see if it would route through my av receiver or soundbar. I haven't tried that.

My wife took to the Amazon Recast right away and likes it, so no worries about the replacement. Last night I changed the antenna feed to go straight to the Recast instead of through the splitter to the DVR+ and Recast. No difference in PQ on good stations, but I'm hoping the repacked PBS station that is so weak can come in a bit better now. If not, we'll subscribe to PBS Masterpiece at $5 a month.

Losing the DVR+ hasn't been the blow I expected, but I still miss the direct channel access via the keypad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16892 of 16976 Old 11-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I might be able to see if it would route through my av receiver or soundbar. I haven't tried that.
Don't forget to try the all important reboot. The sound will occasionally be out on my DVR+ following a reboot. Most of the time it occurs when I power it up as soon as the reboot finishes. The only thing that fixes it is another reboot and for good measure, waiting about 30 seconds after it finishes before powering it up. I've also had the sound go out when jumping back while watching a recording. That hasn't happened in a while, but as I recall it returns to normal if I stop the recording and restart it.
post #16893 of 16976 Old 11-12-2019, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Sorry your just now discovering this as it's been known, and mentioned, for many years. The limit is actually 999 as that's all the slots provided in the DVR+'s REI file (the file size is always the same size of 868,024 bytes). There's actually 1000 slots but software does not use the 1st slot (no strm0000 files).

There is another limit that determines the maximum number of allowed Scheduled Recordings, and that is 54 (some think it's 55 but it's not, it's 54).
Thanks. I just wish the person I communicated with at Channel Master Customer Support had known. The answer I was given was that the problem I was encountering (the drive no longer writable after a random, low percentage full) would not occur on an approved drive, which we all know to be Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive - (HDTB310XK3AA). It would also have been nice if this were documented in the owners manual or pdf, which I reviewed at length. All indications were that the drive had gone bad. But it never made sense that I could still delete from it - a delete is a type of write.

Many people would not encounter the issue, but I do, due to mostly recording old shows on sub-channels in SD format, which take up very little space. But, all the while, this invisible, undocumented “counter” is running. Good thing storage is cheap - I’ve bought a total of 12 terabytes but am currently only storing about six terabytes on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16894 of 16976 Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
You can download all the versions using the link in this post:

Previous DVR+ FW versions

Use a flash drive formatted as FAT, not NTFS. Make sure the FW file is in the root directory. Disconnect any external hard drives or dongles that are plugged into the USB ports. I don't remember if you plug the flash drive in then power up the DVR+, or if you can plug it in while it is already on. Once it starts, it's all pretty hands off until it finishes.
That worked - thanks. I also got the same answer from Channel Master Customer Support (glad they could get it right, this time, at least).
post #16895 of 16976 Old 11-12-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Thanks. I just wish the person I communicated with at Channel Master Customer Support had known. The answer I was given was that the problem I was encountering (the drive no longer writable after a random, low percentage full) would not occur on an approved drive, which we all know to be Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive - (HDTB310XK3AA). It would also have been nice if this were documented in the owners manual or pdf, which I reviewed at length. All indications were that the drive had gone bad. But it never made sense that I could still delete from it - a delete is a type of write.

Many people would not encounter the issue, but I do, due to mostly recording old shows on sub-channels in SD format, which take up very little space. But, all the while, this invisible, undocumented “counter” is running. Good thing storage is cheap - I’ve bought a total of 12 terabytes but am currently only storing about six terabytes on them.
I, and I suspect most of us, completely agree. Unfortunately, this forum knows more about the DVR+ than anyone at CM. CM would do well if they offer their advice, naturally, but also mention this forum for information they can't, or legally choose not to divulge!
Paul210 and pilotart like this.
post #16896 of 16976 Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I just wish the person I communicated with at Channel Master Customer Support had known. The answer I was given was that the problem I was encountering (the drive no longer writable after a random, low percentage full) would not occur on an approved drive, which we all know to be Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive - (HDTB310XK3AA).
Wow. CM Customer Support actually told you that? How clueless....

To be fair, that might have been "true," but only because the "approved" drive is only 1TB, so it might well fill up before you reach 999 recordings. You're much more likely to hit the 999-recording limit with a 2TB or larger drive, especially if you mostly record 30-minute SD shows.

BTW there are whole new cans of worms to deal with if you use a drive larger than 2TB. And CM originally sold a 3TB drive "approved" for the DVR+!
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #16897 of 16976 Old 11-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've been using WD 3TB Passport drives. Seems like 3TB models are either out of stock, discontinued that they haven't rolled out a replacement. Is there a good alternative in the 3TB range?
post #16898 of 16976 Old 11-14-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
I've been using WD 3TB Passport drives. Seems like 3TB models are either out of stock, discontinued that they haven't rolled out a replacement. Is there a good alternative in the 3TB range?
you will find the answers and recommendations for HDD in the thread, we discussed the aspect here a few times...
post #16899 of 16976 Old 11-14-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Not much I'd recommend if the 3TB and 4TB Passport drives are unavailable. You have to make sure to get a USB drive that exposes 4K sectors, or you won't be able to use over 2.2TB. And there's usually no way to tell before you buy.

The nice thing about the WD Passport drives was WD's utility to set the USB interface to use 4K sectors, so you didn't have to worry about buying one with the "right" sector size.

The best recommendation I can give would be a 3TB "bare" drive with a dock: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...opic.html#Bare
post #16900 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellaby1 View Post
I had to refresh my guide also. It's only goes out to Nov 20.
Quote:
BTW, it still only goes out to Nov. 20 a day later.
And today is now November 20, and the guide on my two living room DVR+ units only goes forward about 24 hours. Numerous attempts to update the guide have all failed. Anyone else experiencing this?

post #16901 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
And today is now November 20, and the guide on my two living room DVR+ units only goes forward about 24 hours. Numerous attempts to update the guide have all failed. Anyone else experiencing this?

I just received this reply from CM support:

Quote:
Ann (Channel Master Support)

Nov 20, 6:59 AM MST

Good Morning,

Thank you for your inquiry, our technical team is currently working on a technical issue with our guide data provider which could result in a reduced amount of guide data until the issue is resolved. At this point in time we do not have details on how long it will take to get the issue resolved. To avoid experiencing missing or inaccurate recordings while our team is working on the issue, you do have the option to set your DVR+ to receive its guide data from the broadcaster instead of the internet. In order to do this, you will need to preform a factory reset and when asked to enter your zip code, use 00000 as the zip code.

Thank you for your patience while we work with our guide data provider on these technical issues.

Regards,
Channel Master Support
[email protected]
post #16902 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Pretty much the same here, except that my CBS station is populated for about 1 week. I contacted CM support 2 days ago and got the usual, "We're aware of it. We contacted the guide company. Your DVR+ will automatically update." reply. Yesterday, with less than 24 hours of guide data, I contacted them again. The reply, which came in late yesterday afternoon, was "I received word from the guide company and they believe that they have located the issue, and should be updated sometime tomorrow. Very sorry for the inconvenience."

In the meantime, I already created manual recordings for what I want to record tonight. Not holding my breath that new data will arrive in time.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16903 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel Master Cm7500 Guide support... Not

Contacted CM support yesterday via e-mail and got reply with much the same "Gee Whiz" we're working on it only they advised me to do a factory re-set and set the zip code to 000000 to get local guide info flowing What a batch of crap... Yeah I want to have to dump all the set up and timers At least my CM-7000PALs are still keeping things going for the time being...
post #16904 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

With the increasing frequency of guide related issues, plus Channel Master now suggesting that users set their zip code to 00000 in order to utilize PSIP guide data, I will go out on a limb here and say that we will see the internet guide data completely disappear sometime in the coming year. The DVR+ hit the market in 2013, and many companies only support their products for seven years.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #16905 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Sad, sad, sad ...
pilotart likes this.
post #16906 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
DVR+ ROVI guide

Quote:

(sorry for the 'dead' links. Since I havent made many posts, AVS wont let me make active links)

My guide data is ending today 11/20 as well. I did some packet sniffing with WireShark to see how DVR+ was requesting guide data and found many repeated calls like this:
GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info?apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw&locale=en-US&duration=240&inprogress=false&startdate=2019-11-20T16:00:00Z&format=json HTTP/1.1
That GET asks for 240 minutes of data (4 hours). The DVR+ keeps making those 4 hour calls until ROVI says no-more-data

I found an old AVS post that linked to the Rovi data API which still seems to be functional here: developer.rovicorp.com/docs

There is an API test console on that page that allows you to make the same calls the DVR+ makes to get guide data

The first call is to get the ServiceCode for your local zip code. for me this is 53593 (verona,WI) , which produces the code 20499 ( I see my DVR+ do this)
api.rovicorp.com/TVlistings/v9/listings/services/postalcode/53593/info?locale=en-US&countrycode=US&msoid=306430&format=json&apikey= v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw
The apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw seems to be CM's access code to the API

Next you ask for listings with this link.

api.rovicorp.com/TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info?locale=en-US&duration=30&inprogress=false&oneairingpersource id=false&startdate=2019-11-20T23%3A00%3A00Z&format=json&apikey=v4edzwwtca4e84 7n72j8kesw
Change the following in that link as needed to check guide data for different dates and times.
change to discovered your service code for the 20499
duration=30 (get 30 minutes of data)
startdate=2019-11-20 (request starting date)
T23%3A00%3A00Z (starting time 23:00:00 zulu GMT ) local time this is 23-6 = 17:00 / 5pm central time
you will get results that can be read in your browser

If I change the data to Nov 21st, the json result are as follows: Note the Airings[] array is empty. The guide is not returning any results for tomorrow

LinearScheduleResult
RequestId"f941df6b-5941-497b-9e5c-fd0a82231478"
TimeStamp"2019-11-20T15:18:08.753Z"
Status"PNE"
Errors[]
EndTimestamp"0001-01-01T00:00:00"
Build"Development-v9-dev-9.15.08-173-r34606-34606"
Schedule
Locale"en-US"
ServiceId20499
Name"Madison Area Channels - Broadcast TV"
ServiceType"Broadcast"
StartDate"2019-11-21T00:23:00Z"
Duration30
TimeZones[…]
Airings[]
So this sort of confirms that the guide data supplier is messed up, not the DVR+ itself.

Hopefully Rovi is not terminating CM's license key and will fix this issue.
post #16907 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have less than 72 hours of guide and even that is spotty. Time to stick a fork in it.....in the words of Dandy Don! Anyone notice CM is now dumping the Stream units? That give those about one year of use.......Wonder what's next.....
post #16908 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In order to do this, you will need to preform a factory reset and when asked to enter your zip code, use 00000 as the zip code.
First, you don't need to do a factory reset to change your Zip Code. Second, based on CM's recommendation to change the Zip Code to "00000" when the DVR+ receives PSIP data I did just that. I had the crazy idea that maybe doing that would keep PSIP data up to date by triggering something in the FW. As soon as I changed the Zip Code to "00000" the clock changed and jumped ahead an hour, so I changed it back. If anyone else does this because their Internet guide crapped out, be aware that this might happen, at least if you are set for Automatic Date & Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothee View Post
My guide data is ending today 11/20 as well. I did some packet sniffing with WireShark to see how DVR+ was requesting guide data and found many repeated calls like this:
GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info?apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw&locale=en-US&duration=240&inprogress=false&startdate=2019-11-20T16:00:00Z&format=json HTTP/1.1

Back in the day the WireShark data would have been very interesting to see what and who the DVR+ was trying to communicate with. And it's still interesting that the guide provider still seems to be Rovi. I thought they dropped the guide and CM had to switch to another provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
I have less than 72 hours of guide and even that is spotty. Time to stick a fork in it.....in the words of Dandy Don! Anyone notice CM is now dumping the Stream units? That give those about one year of use.......Wonder what's next.....
Are you saying that the Stream+ is soon to be no more? If so, then we are on the precipice of there not being any replacement for the DVR+, and CM will lose even that fig leaf of a claim. So as you said, "wonder what's next..."
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #16909 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just received this reply from CM support:To avoid experiencing missing or inaccurate recordings while our team is working on the issue, you do have the option to set your DVR+ to receive its guide data from the broadcaster instead of the internet. In order to do this, you will need to preform a factory reset and when asked to enter your zip code, use 00000 as the zip code.

Typical of CM; they don't even know how their own equipment works!

It is not necessary to change the Zip code, let alone perform a factory reset, to get guide data from the broadcaster instead of the internet. That will happen automatically: once the guide data received OTA goes out further than that data received OTT, the OTA data will start filling out the guide. That is actually a better design than many other DVRs with Internet guides, such as Windows Media Center.

However, there are issues (documented in this thread, mostly by @Greasemonkey who has the OTA guide only) with keeping the OTA guide current. You may need to use one of his workarounds (either dummy recordings or periodic reboots) until the Internet guide is working again.
post #16910 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
The DVR+ hit the market in 2013, and many companies only support their products for seven years.
I guess I should give Micro$oft some props then, for keeping the WMC guide hobbling along for ten years (it goes away at Windows 7 end-of-service in January for all WMC users - whether or not they are on Windows 7).

For comparison, BlackBerry only supports their cell phones with updates, etc., for two years!
post #16911 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothee View Post
My guide data is ending today 11/20 as well. I did some packet sniffing with WireShark to see how DVR+ was requesting guide data and found ...
Thanks for that very informative post! I wish someone had done this years ago, but better late than never.

Was this with 135R firmware? If so, it appears the DVR+ is still getting its data directly from Rovi. If so, I wonder what the purpose of the "debranding" with 135R (online guide name changed from "Rovi guide" to the much more generic "Internet guide") was, since it would take another firmware update to switch providers.

I also wonder why pre-135R firmware stopped downloading the guide? Perhaps Rovi changed the DVR+'s API key....
post #16912 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Are you saying that the Stream+ is soon to be no more? If so, then we are on the precipice of there not being any replacement for the DVR+, and CM will lose even that fig leaf of a claim. So as you said, "wonder what's next..."[/QUOTE]

What I am saying is that CM has a fairly well known MO. I have owned several of their DVRs and this seems to be the pattern I have seen in the past. They milk as much $ as possible from the original product with some small improvements in the first couple of years, then they dump their remaining stock at much lower prices and about one year later all support goes bye, bye. You make your own judgement, perhaps mine is suspect.
post #16913 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Thanks for that very informative post! I wish someone had done this years ago, but better late than never.

Was this with 135R firmware? If so, it appears the DVR+ is still getting its data directly from Rovi. If so, I wonder what the purpose of the "debranding" with 135R (online guide name changed from "Rovi guide" to the much more generic "Internet guide") was, since it would take another firmware update to switch providers.

I also wonder why pre-135R firmware stopped downloading the guide? Perhaps Rovi changed the DVR+'s API key....

Yes, this is 135R. What I provided was the web API for testing - it uses the same date format I observed in WireShark and I suspect it is using the same data source since it is having the same issues. That ROVI webpage could have could been modified to point to the new data servers.

Maybe that prior CM firmware had some hard-coded IP addresses instead of making DNS requests? DVR+ 135R is making a lot of DNS requests - here are the ones that I observed:

Standard query response to DNS Requests
A epg.channelmastertv.com CNAME proxy-elb-1800886808.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com A 35.160.224.97 A 52.37.131.128
A cps-static.rovicorp.com CNAME d3871tx5qq6rdv.cloudfront.net A 13.227.45.14 A 13.227.45.5 A 13.227.45.114 A 13.227.45.78
A microsoft.com A 40.113.200.201 A 40.112.72.205 A 40.76.4.15 A 13.77.161.179 A 104.215.148.63
A echostar.com A 139.85.4.115
A amazon.com A 176.32.103.205 A 205.251.242.103 A 176.32.98.166
A google.com A 216.58.192.174

A pool.ntp.org A 198.50.238.156 A 23.227.180.138 A 45.76.244.193 A 72.29.161.5
A tr50.dishaccess.tv CNAME stbfw.echodata.tv A 67.148.153.225

To be more specific, DVR+ is accessing guide data from 35.160.224.97 & 52.37.131.128. See the first DNS request below. The last one (.225) is the IP address that is used to check for Firmware Updates.

A CM Twitter post about 135R says "Nov 28, 2017 New Firmware 135R has been sent to DVR+ units. This important update is required in order to continue receiving the 14-Day guide data. Your guide data has been migrated to a new CM-owned server (yay!). 2-day PSIP guide data is not affected."

So it appears they now use an AmazonAws server to host the data. How it gets populated is anyone's guess...

I know this 'Rovi' stuff is older, but I'm planning on using my 3 DVR+'s for as long as possible.
post #16914 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zip 00000 at least gets the DVR+ in "limp along mode"

As has previously been posted complete factory rest is not needed... Although for the longer run it seems it is just as good to go ahead and do it eventually I just entered 000000 and waited to see what would happen and it was just a matter of waiting for the last guide data to get used up this afternoon Wen 20Nov ~04:00pm... Now I have to change channels to each channel to get an updated schedule for ~6Hrs (maybe - depends on the station set up). Even after the update there is not a "new" setting in the schedule it seems, so all my old record jobs that are for "new" programs are being left NOT scheduled. Did a manual record for the ones that should have been done as "once" jobs since I have a few unused schedule job slots still free.

Looks like going without internet schedule the DVR+ will become a weaker version of the CM7000PAL - less able to deal with weather or other signal trashing issues and demanding manual scheduling of everything with a crappy point of needing anything over the Station provided schedule info done in 5min blocks vs 1min that a CM7000 can use.

If the guide remains dead for internet download the weekly jobs will demand all the regular jobs be deleted and new manual ones have to be used - also at least one station (9.1) in Iowa is putting out a wacky 9.1 schedule feed that has 9.2 or some other sub channel's programming and leaving the actual shows like Stumptown showing as "Johnny Carson" and down on 2.1 Seal Team and SWAT missing in action as anything that will be recorded with out a new job being set up

Definitely agree with the tmn1 comments on the Channel Master Modus Operandi - customers are very likely to soon find themselves dumped on again...

------- Add-on info:
A 2nd DVR+ I have on a completely different antenna system is showing the same odd ball channel 9.1 schedule guide listing for "Johnny Carson" where Stumptown should be... Later in night the 1st DVR+ started showing a "correct" Schedule Guide listing for Stumptown, but the 2nd DVR+ is still stuck with a junk listing. Did a complete channel scan on the 2nd DVR+ and it seemed to pick up a few channels better than usual - but there is currently a weather front blowing through and that makes of lots of out of the ordinary OTA TV weirdness.

To make life a tad better - noted that all the already set jobs set to "New" for the program can be changed to "All" and will start to pick up the jobs in the "Scheduled" listing - although that also means multiple of the same program is there are repeat airings. At least it is better that the complete dump and re-build all jobs a factory reset would cause...

Last edited by FeedMeNoSpam; 11-21-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #16915 of 16976 Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
What I am saying is that CM has a fairly well known MO. I have owned several of their DVRs and this seems to be the pattern I have seen in the past. They milk as much $ as possible from the original product with some small improvements in the first couple of years, then they dump their remaining stock at much lower prices and about one year later all support goes bye, bye. You make your own judgement, perhaps mine is suspect.
I don't flat out disagree with your above comment. But I wouldn't phrase it as a milk and dump, either. Most companies look at products in terms of how much money they bring vs. how much they pay out in labor, repairs, updates, overhead, etc. Where those two lines cross on a graph is the point where they move on to the next product. Also, where those two lines cross is very fluid. If the Stream+ is selling below expectations and costing more in support, it makes no sense for CM to keep it going if the long term outlook doesn't indicate a turnaround. I checked the Stream+ thread today and it looks like Live Channels and CM are not as tight as they once were. That means--to borrow a quote from Newt Gingrich, the Stream+ is likely to wither on the vine. My understanding of the DVR+ is that CM had very little control over how it was developed from creation to updating. When the whole E*/Dish thing happened, CM was kind of left hanging. I don't think E* had much of an interest in it anyway, considering that they make their money off of subscriptions and hoovering up personal data. The OTA side of the DVR+ was its core, and the streaming side was the "+". I just hope all this is causing CM to seriously look at a true OTA DVR that most people would view as a replacement for the DVR+. But I also don't think that is going to happen until ATSC 3.0 takes root and has a real future. Given that window of time, now is the time for them to be planning out what they are going to be doing a few years down the road.
post #16916 of 16976 Old 11-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Liked: 4
UPDATE from Channel Master re: GUIDE -- promises fix by Nov 30

I just got this (which apparently is posted at the Channel Master website) in response to an inquiry about GUIDE

Ann (Channel Master Support)

Nov 21, 2:19 PM MST

Good Afternoon,

Attention: DVR+ Customers having issues with guide information not updating, please read.
The Channel Master DVR+ On-Screen Guide is currently experiencing technical issues with how the guide information is received from our third party data provider. It has been identified that the issue is on our providers end and they are working closely with our team to get it resolved as soon as possible. We expect to have a resolution in place by 11/30.

In the meantime, you can revert your DVR+ to receive its guide information from the broadcaster. Unfortunately the broadcaster does not offer 14 days of guide information, but it is enough to reschedule your recordings and and for them to reliably record. To revert your DVR+ to the broadcaster provided guide information, we highly recommend a factory reset first. This will flush out any scheduled recordings that were set up to be recorded using the internet delivered guide information. Once the factory reset is complete, you will want to set your Zip code to 00000, this will force the DVR+ to getting its data from the broadcaster instead of the internet.

If you are wondering why we suggest a factory reset? This is important because the DVR+ works off of name based scheduling and we have seen naming conflicts because of inconsistencies in the naming conventions of the info that is provided over the internet and what is provided by broadcasters. In addition to inconsistent naming conventions causing issues, the lack of series information from the broadcasters could also cause issues. If you do not preform a factory reset, you may be at risk of missed recordings and schedule issues.

We expect to have this issue corrected soon but please feel free to check back here for updates regarding this outage.
Thanks,
Channel Master Support

Regards,
Channel Master Support
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.
post #16917 of 16976 Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What's the Guide worth to you?

Question to all:

Business is business. I don't expect CM to eat ongoing expenses to provide a free guide forever, no more than I expect Apple to warranty and provide IOS update support on a $1400 iPhone for more than a year.

Assuming
A.) CM is paying for the Guide source service from a 3rd party (or even if they somehow support it in-house)
B.) They plan to discontinue this/all line(s) of smart-OTA-receiver+DVR hardware.

How much would existing DVR+ owners pay *annually* to maintain the guide? $5? $50?
post #16918 of 16976 Old 11-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotel View Post
Assuming
A.) CM is paying for the Guide source service from a 3rd party (or even if they somehow support it in-house)
B.) They plan to discontinue this/all line(s) of smart-OTA-receiver+DVR hardware.

How much would existing DVR+ owners pay *annually* to maintain the guide? $5? $50?
As a PSIP person, I wouldn't pay for a guide. And for CM to continue to provide the Internet guide by charging a fee we would have to calculate how many DVR+ units have been sold--or more specifically, still in operation. I think we can make an educated guess that between 90%-95% of them use the Internet guide for programming information. But what would are educated guess be as to how many DVR+ units are still in operation? And how much would we estimate that CM pays annually (including the in-house overhead) for the guide information for which they would be charging those users? I seriously doubt that $5 a year is going to cover it, but $50 might.
post #16919 of 16976 Old 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Don't give them any ideas...

You guys do what you want, but I would not give CM any ideas.

If a bunch of you start saying "ohmyGodI'llpayanythingtokeepmybelovedDVR+working" , some weasel at CM will show this thread to the boss, suggesting a new revenue stream for the next quarter.

And if a bunch of you start saying "screwCMIwon'tgivethemapennymore" then they may not bother keeping the program guide going much longer for a bunch of unappreciative freeloaders.

Currently you can buy a competing OTA DVR and pay $6-$10/month for their program guide (these are just ballpark #'s), so, that IS the going rate. Question answered.

And, again, do as you wish, but I would not harass customer service too much when we have these occasional outages of the program guide. Better to monitor this thread and if someone has already posted CM's recent status message, leave them be.

I think a flood of messages, all saying the same thing from demanding, non-paying customers is more likely to cause them to just give up and avoid the hassle rather than motivate them to hurry up and resolve the issue any faster.

That's why I posted a few weeks ago that it can't hurt to send an occasional, sincere "thank you" note for their continued support. At this point, they are doing us a pretty big favor, and we'd do well to keep that in mind when communicating among ourselves, and with CM.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Samsung UN60J6200 LED, Yamaha HTR-5860 & RX-V595 AV Receivers, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" & Polk 10" SubWoofs, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's, Polk RTi8's

Last edited by LensClock; 11-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #16920 of 16976 Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
Currently you can buy a competing OTA DVR and pay $6-$10/month for their program guide (these are just ballpark #'s), so, that IS the going rate. Question answered.
Or not answered. The monthly guide subscription price for one device doesn't necessarily correlate to what the monthly subscription price for the DVR+ would be. How many units of this other DVR have been sold and are still in use? Also note that @shotel asked what an acceptable *annual* price would be. The entire range of monthly prices you mention exceed the examples he gave, the minimum price by 20%, and the maximum by 140%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page