Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 566 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4297Likes

post #16951 of 16996 Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
My DVR was working fine last night. I haven't had any issues at all. This morning I turned the TV on and no picture. TV says no signal. The blue light is on, so I know the DVR is on. I have unplugged the HD, switched HDMI cables and changed TVs. Anyone else have this issue?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 16996 Old 11-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
My DVR was working fine last night. I haven't had any issues at all. This morning I turned the TV on and no picture. TV says no signal. The blue light is on, so I know the DVR is on. I have unplugged the HD, switched HDMI cables and changed TVs. Anyone else have this issue?
Have you rebooted the DVR+? If so, about the only thing left to do is reinstall the FW and see if that clears it up. Beyond that, you could try to do a blind factory reset, i.e. get/map the keypad sequences and press them without seeing them on the TV screen.
post #16953 of 16996 Old 11-30-2019, 10:11 PM

Yes, I rebooted. I have it sitting here without anything plugged into now. I was hoping a couple of hours unplugged might help.

Barring that. How does one do a FW reinstall without seeing what is happening on the screen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16954 of 16996 Old 12-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Barring that. How does one do a FW reinstall without seeing what is happening on the screen?
If I remember correctly, if the DVR+ is on and nothing is plugged into the USB drives you can just pop the USB drive with the FW in and it does everything automatically. But here are the instructions I have for an older version. It should reinstall the same version the same way. A blind factory reset is going to be a lot more involved, and probably will require the button sequence be written down.

· Ensure a USB Thumbdrive is formatted in FAT32. Other formats will be rejected.
· Copy the older software update onto the Thumbdrive. It MUST be in the root directory.
· Put the DVR+ in Stand-by mode (dim blue light).
· Unplug the power cord (or power supply, whichever is convenient). In a few steps, you'll have to simultaneously restore power and press a button on the DVR+, so keep that in mind when deciding what to unplug.
· Unplug the WiFi Adapter, or Ethernet cable, to prevent Internet access, and unplug the USB HDD. The HDMI cable, and Antenna Lead can remain connected.
· Plug the USB Thumbdrive, containing the old Software Update, into the DVR+.
· Depress and Hold the front panel button, and restore electrical power.
· The front panel light will flash blue, and red for a second. When the light goes out, immediately release the button, count 3 seconds, push the button again, and release.
· The TV should show the update in progress.
· When done, the DVR+ will restart automatically. The screen may go black for about 15 seconds, so be patient.Note: It has been reported that this sometimes fails. If that happens, connect the Thumbdrive to a computer, check for a folder named 'core dumping', and delete the folder. As already mentioned, ensure the Thumbdrive is formatted as FAT32. Repeat the process.
· When complete, remove the Thumbdrive and reconnect the USB HDD (both can be done while the DVR+ is powered), and follow the instructions to reconnect the USB HDD.
· Reconnect the WiFi Adapter, or the Ethernet cable, and follow instructions.
post #16955 of 16996 Old 12-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I am not sure if it is the HDMI port or something else. Oh well. I guess I need to decide on whether to go Stream or Tivo.

post #16956 of 16996 Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Sorry to hear that, bro.

TiVo is probably closer to the DVR+ experience you're used to, but it can be expensive. If you go that route, I recommend buying a used TiVo with lifetime service on eBay. (But if you're lucky, TiVo may be running a Cyber Monday special. Check that first.)

Most DVR+ users are disappointed with the Stream+'s DVR functionality, although it's better now than it was when it first came out. It's a better streamer than DVR, but it lacks the top streaming apps (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime), although you can side-load some of those.

There are other options besides those two: I started a thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...rs-thread.html that you might want to check out.

Of course, you could just buy another DVR+ on eBay, although those are often expensive too.
pilotart likes this.
post #16957 of 16996 Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sorry to hear that, bro.

TiVo is probably closer to the DVR+ experience you're used to, but it can be expensive. If you go that route, I recommend buying a used TiVo with lifetime service on eBay. (But if you're lucky, TiVo may be running a Cyber Monday special. Check that first.)

Most DVR+ users are disappointed with the Stream+'s DVR functionality, although it's better now than it was when it first came out. It's a better streamer than DVR, but it lacks the top streaming apps (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime), although you can side-load some of those.

There are other options besides those two: I started a thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...rs-thread.html that you might want to check out.

Of course, you could just buy another DVR+ on eBay, although those are often expensive too.
I read your thread both when you started it and this weekend. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the landscape has gotten better. Thanks for the thread though it is helpful.

I would have considered another DVR +, but a quick look at sold units showed people paying up to $300 for them. That is not just insane, but stupid.

I am considering a Stream and Tivo. I am not sure if it is in this thread or not, but I did a comparison three years ago (IIRC). I purchased the DVR +, Tivo Roamio and Hauppauge WinTV quad. One of the main reasons I went with the DVR over the Tivo was the Sling app. I now have that built into my TV, so that isn't an issue. Not to mention CM decided to dump Sling. The other thing I liked was the outboard HD, which made it easy to transfer recordings to a PC.

Right now, I am giving the WinTV another shot. Hauppauge's software is rather clunky, but supposedly there is a new version. I will give it a whirl. Plex would be an option, but it costs money. The price isn't bad, but at some point it would be easier to just go back to Comcast.

I did buy my Tivo on BF or CM deal back then. IIRC it was $200 or so for the Roamio OTA with lifetime. Today's deal isn't that great IMO at least for me.

post #16958 of 16996 Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

$300 for a 16GB DVR+? I'm as big a DVR+ fan as anyone but at those prices, might as well go with TiVo. They're probably more expensive now, though, since there's less competition.

Depending on what you need, it might not be a bad idea to have both. The TiVo would be your workhorse DVR and also includes the "major" streaming apps, but if you're a really heavy DVRer, the Stream+ could handle overflow recordings (when 4 tuners just isn't enough!) Plus it'll do all the streaming TiVo won't (Pluto, Sling, Disney+, etc.).

If you have/had an older Windows version (Win 7 through 8.1), did you have WMC? If so, it still works. (I've read there's even an unofficial way to migrate it to Win 10, but I don't have Win 10 so I haven't tried to do that.) The guide is going away in Jan. but you can use the Schedules Direct guide for $25/year with a free program called EPG123. Not free like the DVR+ (or TiVo with lifetime) but pretty inexpensive for a 21(!)-day guide.
post #16959 of 16996 Old 12-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
$300 for a 16GB DVR+?
$300 for a used 16GB DVR+. And I've seen used Stream+ units going for $50. That pretty much tells the tale right there. $300 is a good chunk of change, but if the DVR+ lasts another 5 years that's only $60/year. What would the cost be for other units when you include base cost + guide subscriptions, etc? And, since @Ericglo stated that "at some point it would be easier to just go back to Comcast", the $300 one time outlay for the DVR+ is still cheaper than that by a long shot. It's a seller's market for the DVR+, but for the buyer it's still a question of money vs. what they want and will get. I hope CM is paying attention to all this.
post #16960 of 16996 Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
$300 for a 16GB DVR+? I'm as big a DVR+ fan as anyone but at those prices, might as well go with TiVo. They're probably more expensive now, though, since there's less competition.

Depending on what you need, it might not be a bad idea to have both. The TiVo would be your workhorse DVR and also includes the "major" streaming apps, but if you're a really heavy DVRer, the Stream+ could handle overflow recordings (when 4 tuners just isn't enough!) Plus it'll do all the streaming TiVo won't (Pluto, Sling, Disney+, etc.).

If you have/had an older Windows version (Win 7 through 8.1), did you have WMC? If so, it still works. (I've read there's even an unofficial way to migrate it to Win 10, but I don't have Win 10 so I haven't tried to do that.) The guide is going away in Jan. but you can use the Schedules Direct guide for $25/year with a free program called EPG123. Not free like the DVR+ (or TiVo with lifetime) but pretty inexpensive for a 21(!)-day guide.
I don't need more than 2 tuners. I don't think I have needed 3 tuners more than twice in the last couple of years.

I didn't have a WMC machine. I was fine with what I was using at the time (older Tivo). I will give it a look and weigh the options with Hauppauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
$300 for a used 16GB DVR+. And I've seen used Stream+ units going for $50. That pretty much tells the tale right there. $300 is a good chunk of change, but if the DVR+ lasts another 5 years that's only $60/year. What would the cost be for other units when you include base cost + guide subscriptions, etc? And, since @Ericglo stated that "at some point it would be easier to just go back to Comcast", the $300 one time outlay for the DVR+ is still cheaper than that by a long shot. It's a seller's market for the DVR+, but for the buyer it's still a question of money vs. what they want and will get. I hope CM is paying attention to all this.
I just took a quick glance at the sold units. There might be some for cheaper, but I saw that $300 and got sticker shock.

Yeah, it may be cheaper than going to Comcast (I never had it), but it is almost a death by a thousand cuts. My Comcast internet is $80 and Sling is another $35. I am not sure how much a Comcast internet and TV bundle would be, but you get to a point where the savings isn't what a lot of cord cutting gurus make it out to be.

I should also mention that I am hopeful (fingers crossed) that ATSC 3 won't be ten years in the future, but maybe three.

Like I said, I am going to play around with the Hauppauge. I have it, so I might as well take another look at what it offers at this time. A Stream for $50 isn't that much to play with, but I am not seeing any on ebay.

post #16961 of 16996 Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be fair, sometimes cable companies can be competitive, at least for a while. I got a 2-year deal from Spectrum that I'm still enjoying. Of course, once the two years is up, I'm probably back to Sling.

The nice thing that Spectrum offers is an app (for Roku, iOS, Android) that lets you watch everything in your subscription OTT, so there's no need to rent STBs, CableCards, or the like. I would hope Comcast offers something similar, but if they don't, those equipment rental expenses can really balloon your cable bill.

You'll also be forced to pay for the local stations you already get OTA. That may not be much - Spectrum's OTA fee started out at $3/month, although it has since doubled to $6/month - and the convenience of having everything in one guide may be worth the cost. (That's also one of the attractions of devices like the AirTV - OTA and Sling - or the Stream+ - OTA and Pluto. It was even the good idea behind the DVR+'s poorly executed and now-defunct CMTV.) But you generally have no choice with cable anyway.

And like phone companies, cable companies have an unsavory practice of adding many of their costs of doing business to the price they advertise. Most of these are not large, but they add up, so you need to add a "buffer" of 25% or so to the advertised price.

Lastly, don't include the cost of Internet in the "avoided" cost if you subscribe to a TV bundle. It's going to be part of your bill anyway, unless you scale the bandwidth you're paying for way back.
post #16962 of 16996 Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 514
memories …

[the file's date was set to Jun 14th 2016 on my computer]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Father's+Day+Hatch+email.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	615.4 KB
ID:	2649258  

Last edited by P Smith; 12-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #16963 of 16996 Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
memories ...
If that's a 16GB model in the picture what we are talking about is 0% depreciation, based on the quoted eBay price. Not as good as real estate, but better than a vehicle. So I guess one way of looking at it would be that even if you paid $300 for a used DVR+, if it lasts 5 years you really have nothing to complain about. Well, other than possibly losing the Internet guide. Given the other options on the market, that's not really too bad of a deal.
post #16964 of 16996 Old 12-04-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For most of the time that CM was selling the DVR+, the 16GB model was $249 and the 1TB model (which wasn't available until later in the product cycle) was $399. So that could have been a promo for the 1TB model during one of CM's sales.
post #16965 of 16996 Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Wow, I don't remember them being that expensive. I know I paid $180 for mine.

I have been playing with my WinTV quad and 8.5 software. It isn't bad, but not sure if I want to stick with it as my only OTA receiver. Hauppauge has a new software version called 10 that adds EPG. That would make recording easier.

Looking back on my notes, the DVR + had a two hour buffer compared to the Tivo's thirty minutes and an external HD. That was besides the Sling app.

I may get a Tivo Premiere for the short term. I found one local for $50.

post #16966 of 16996 Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
memories …

[the file's date was set to Jun 14th 2016 on my computer]
Here was the 7/4/2017 sale on the 16GB version:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvr+.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2649646  
pilotart likes this.
post #16967 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Our DVR+ is doing something weird.

Today I was hooking up our new LG 55UM7300AUE TV. Turned on the DVR+. It was on a channel. Wasn't getting the digital pass-through to the receiver, so tried to look at the DVR+'s settings. None of the remote control's buttons except on/off and channel up/down work any more. Rebooted three times, and even pulled the power.

Thinking it was remotely possible some kind of weird HDMI interaction of which I was unaware was responsible, I hauled the old TV back upstairs, plugged the DVR+ into that, and tried again. Nope.

Anybody got any idea what might be up?

ETA:

Gets weirder and weirder. Rebooted the DVR+ after connecting it to the old TV. All the remote buttons worked again. Plugged it into the new TV. Back to only power on/off and channel up/down. Plugged it back into the old TV. Same. Rebooted. The other buttons are back. So something in the HDMI connection with the new TV is throwing it off into the weeds.

I'm off to find out where in my router I blocked CM's firmware updater (so we wouldn't lose the one-button CC control) to try a firmware update to see if that makes it behave. Otherwise that'll be it for our DVR+, finally.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 12-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #16968 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
None of the remote control's buttons except on/off and channel up/down work any more.
Anytime a statement like this is included with the description of a problem I think replacing the batteries in the remote should be at the top of the list of possible solutions. I have the flat remote, and when the batteries start getting low the first thing I notice is that though the buttons for the TV functions work fine, the buttons that operate the DVR+ don't. This is especially true for the jump forward/back buttons, but others as well. Before you give up on the DVR+, spend a few bucks on batteries.
JHBrandt and richart like this.
post #16969 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anytime a statement like this is included with the description of a problem I think replacing the batteries in the remote should be at the top of the list of possible solutions.
Perhaps you didn't see my ETA (Edited To Add)?

If I move the DVR+ back to the old TV and reboot it, all the buttons work again. Switch it back to the new TV (w/o reboot--just moving the HDMI connection) and all but channel up/down and power on/off stop working. I also get no channel info when it changes channels. It essentially turns into a dumb, very dumb TV tuner.

I've repeated that cycle twice. Plus, the buttons that stop working stop working on the universal remotes we usually use, as well.

Unblocked it from CM's update server. Attempts to get an update result in something like "undefined error."

So looks like the CM DVR+ is EOL here. *shrug* We weren't using it much, any more, anyway. I wonder if the thing has any value on eBay?

Last edited by SEMIJim; 12-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #16970 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 522
@SEMIJim ,when I upgraded from my 2014 Samsung 4k TV to their 2015 version, had no indication seen on-screen from remote.

I had blocked updates (on 115R) for the cc function as you stated, but found that the 2015 TV's HDMI version required a DVR+ to be updated. I downloaded new firmware, put it on a USB thumb-drive and updated to restore normal operation and no choice for closed caption operation.

Version 135R is the latest and best software and is only version with internet guide. You can download from CM support website and see the directions for installation.

eBay prices for the DVR+'s have been insanely high, but of course they would be expected to have current firmware 135R and tested to be operational with new batteries in remote. You could probably purchase a TiVo with the proceeds.
Art
post #16971 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't see my ETA (Edited To Add)?

If I move the DVR+ back to the old TV and reboot it, all the buttons work again. Switch it back to the new TV (w/o reboot--just moving the HDMI connection) and all but channel up/down and power on/off stop working. I also get no channel info when it changes channels. It essentially turns into a dumb, very dumb TV tuner.
I read it, but admit I wasn't familiar with what "ETA" meant. That behavior, in and of itself doesn't dissuade me from thinking batteries. My remote, with low batteries sometimes works fine for a while after having not been used for several minutes. But your statement below:

Quote:
Plus, the buttons that stop working stop working on the universal remotes we usually use, as well.
does change things. If the universal remotes don't work, then it may well be something other than batteries. It's just strange that it can work sometimes, but not others. There are no moving parts involved in these functions that are internal to the DVR+. And the voltage is low, so I would think that something burning out is virtually impossible. That said, I still wouldn't give up on it without trying new batteries. It's cheap, and if it doesn't work the batteries can still be used in another device. AA, AAA and the CR2032 coin style batteries are common and found in many applications. The next thing I would try is cleaning the external plastic piece that covers the receiver for the remote on the DVR+ itself. Dust or sticky fingers may have inhibited the transmission from the remote. I just wouldn't give up on it if there are simple things that can be tested. I've got 20 year old electronic components and remotes that are still working fine, and there is no reason to think that the DVR+ is something that is an outlier in this regard. I've also had my DVR+ recording for 72 hours nonstop, and it never got more than "slightly warm" to the touch. Occam's Razor first, Murphy's Law second.
post #16972 of 16996 Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 514
I would try to disable all TV HDMI control settings... and on DVR+ too (if there any)
post #16973 of 16996 Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@SEMIJim ,when I upgraded from my 2014 Samsung 4k TV to their 2015 version, had no indication seen on-screen from remote.
I don't recall when we purchased the Samsung this new LG replaces, but I'm thinking it could be as much as 4-5 years ago.

Quote:
I had blocked updates (on 115R) for the cc function as you stated, but found that the 2015 TV's HDMI version required a DVR+ to be updated. I downloaded new firmware, put it on a USB thumb-drive and updated to restore normal operation and no choice for closed caption operation.
Ok, so an update has a chance of fixing the problem. Good.

Quote:
Version 135R is the latest and best software and is only version with internet guide. You can download from CM support website and see the directions for installation.
*nod* Very well. I'll have to find a way to be able to operate the thing, though. And I ain't haulin' that heavy-a** 46" TV back upstairs again. Maybe putting my HDMI audio extractor between the DVR+ and TV will make it operational.

Quote:
eBay prices for the DVR+'s have been insanely high, but of course they would be expected to have current firmware 135R and tested to be operational with new batteries in remote. You could probably purchase a TiVo with the proceeds.
Art
Thanks for the info.

I would never purchase a TiVo, btw. Apple TV, probably . We're using a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun CONNECT Quatro and Channels DVR for all our DVR'ing needs, now.

Quote:
It's just strange that it can work sometimes, but not others.
I don't understand how you can still be missing:

• When it's left on TV #1 it works
  • Once it's hooked to TV #2 it stops working until it's rebooted
and fail to come to the conclusion it must somehow be related to TV #2

Quote:
I would try to disable all TV HDMI control settings... and on DVR+ too (if there any)
Tried it already. After confirming it was something to do with being hooked to TV #2 , that was the very next thing I tried: Disabling every bit of HDMI settings I could find.
This is one of the weirder failure modes I've encountered in my life, I gotta say
post #16974 of 16996 Old 12-06-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
And I ain't haulin' that heavy-a** 46" TV back upstairs again.
Just haul the lightweight DVR+ downstairs long enough for the 'flash'

I had been fortunate in having both Samsung TV's (2014 HU8550 & 2015 JS9000) in same room at the time.

We went through a discussion here on the subject and what one might do if the 'old' TV had been missing or inoperative. Procedure would be difficult, but not impossible.

There's a "search this thread" drop-down box at top right corner or just check my past posts around May 2017 to read all about it There are also links to the websites needed.
I recall having to go through the forced reset procedure with the firmware loaded USB (and nothing else) connected and it was helpful to watch the uTube about that on the Channel Master Support download website showing how to do that. It's also been described at length on this board.

From your problem description, I'm certain this will fix things for you, good luck
Art

edit:> click the link to open at post beginning with 2015+ TV's DVR+ issue:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post52770849.html#post52770849

and DVR+ firmware flash w/just new TV:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post53299098.html#post53299098
SEMIJim likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 12-06-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add a link and then @pachinko 's fix for links to open w/different page counts
post #16975 of 16996 Old 12-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just haul the lightweight DVR+ downstairs long enough for the 'flash'
Eh, I have TVs in the computer room and living room I can use. Problem there is crawling in behind the gear in the family room, finding the wall wart for the DVR+, unplugging it, getting it's power cord untangled from the mess of other cables back there, then putting it all back.

Thanks for the feedback, hints and links! I'll let y'all know what transpires.
post #16976 of 16996 Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Force Flash a DVR+'s "software" (firmware!)

@SEMIJim , the wall wart lists a 12 Volt (1.46 Amp) output, so you could use any wall wart with this output.

It also shows "+" to the center pin which is critical, but again, it's a fairly common plug (or "Jack") and you could even power a DVD+ from a car's battery or a battery charger or any 12 volt DC Power supply for 1.5 Amps or more. Just mind the polarity, there are also 12 Volt AC Power Supplies that you couldn't use.

But I'd probably just follow the procedure outlined on my second link. Click the procedure on that post (click the blue print above) to open CM Support at the site with the YouTube on the "forced flash" and within that CM site is their link for downloading their software you're going to need.

Watch their video and you'll see why you need two hands and a hip to do it, the two second time could be estimated....
Art

Edit:> By The Way; the "default factory reset" instruction on CM site should not be necessary.
(If you do that, you'll lose any settings or schedules you've entered, as well as any recordings stored.)
SEMIJim likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 12-07-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Add BTW and make a text link (blue print) into CM's website needed.
post #16977 of 16996 Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't understand how you can still be missing:

• When it's left on TV #1 it works
  • Once it's hooked to TV #2 it stops working until it's rebooted
Sorry. When I read your comment, "Plugged it back into the old TV. Same." I interpreted it to mean that it was the same as TV #2 , not that it went back to working.
post #16978 of 16996 Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry. When I read your comment, "Plugged it back into the old TV. Same." I interpreted it to mean that it was the same as TV #2 , not that it went back to working.
Nope, I'm sorry. That was partially my fault. I just went back and re-read my OP. It had a sentence out of order which would lead one to believe exactly that. The ETA should have cleared that up, but, no matter: I've corrected the OP. I apologize for the confusion.

To summarize:
  1. Put the DVR+ on the new TV: Remote mostly stops working
  2. Reboot the DVR+ while on the new TV: Continues not working
  3. Put the DVR+ back on the old TV: Remote continues not working
  4. Reboot the DVR+ while on the old TV: Remote works entirely
  5. Put the DVR+ on the new TV: Remote stops working again.
  6. Go to #2

So something in the HDMI connection from the new TV is sending the code in the DVR+ off in the weeds.

Being an ex-software designer the symptoms suggest to me some bit of code in the DVR+'s HDMI protocol handling is not checking boundary values properly and that code is writing data into an area that just happens to be concerned with the IR remote.
post #16979 of 16996 Old 12-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Have you tried a new HDMI cable? The reason I ask is because your old TV and new TV probably support different versions of HDMI. I know they are supposed to be backward compatible. I can't recall what the problem was, but I once had an issue with my DVR+ and my TV that defied logic. I had swapped the HDMI cable from a known working DVD player and yet the problem continued. But then I tried a brand new HDMI cable and the problem disappeared. It made no sense to me, and I even swapped back to the other two HDMI cables and the problem returned, but went away again when switching to the new HDMI cable. I know there are several versions of HDMI and as I recall, the new cable I used was 2.0 and the other ones were 1.3 or 1.4. Maybe a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt to try.
pachinko likes this.
post #16980 of 16996 Old 12-08-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool DVR+ and newer TV's

When I first connected my DVR+ (held to firmware 115R) to my new TV it would work fine but you just couldn't ever see any DVR+ menu content on screen. You could 'blind' push remote buttons to play a recording and it would play fine if you recalled the correct button sequence.

Problem was HDMI all right, but not the cable; it was the improved (4k capable) HDMI-2 ports installed in the new (2015) TV.

My previous (2014) TV was certainly 4K, but wouldn't do 4k from HDMI, expecting the 4k blue ray, a new HDMI-2 was introduced (in 2015) and all of the new TV's four HDMI ports are HDMI-2 and cause the problem for a DVR+ running 115R (or older) firmware. DVR+'s arn't 4K but don't work right on HDMI-2 with old firmware.

It's not just Samsung, the issue was first reported on a new Visio TV.

As @pachinko reported:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post37556274.html#post37556274

You need to update the DVR+ and for me it took a forced flash (my DVR+ wanted to just install that USB stick for storage) and although it's easier if you have the old TV handy, it can be done 'blind' if you follow CM's Support's YouTube example (check the CM link on my previous post from Friday {4 posts ago} above).
Art
SEMIJim and pachinko like this.

Last edited by pilotart; 12-08-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add the CM Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page