Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 569 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4344Likes

post #17041 of 17111 Old 01-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
So, as long as the electronics hold out and I can obtain USB drives that will work, I'll keep on using the DVR+. I think I got my money's worth out of it.
And since there are no moving parts to speak of, other than the HDD, there is no reason the DVR+ shouldn't last another 10 years. I've got electronics older than my DVR+ that are still working fine. The remote is another story, as it takes a fair amount of pressure. But even that can be replaced with a universal remote, and I keep my remotes in plastic cigar bags to keep them clean and prevent the paint from wearing off. The chances are greater that ATSC 3.0 will kill our DVR+'s before 25% of them crap out electronically. And by then we will hopefully have a true replacement for the DVR+. But when you think about it, predicting what TV will look like 10 years from now is almost impossible. Just look at how things have changed in the last 10 years, and tech growth over the next 10 years is geometric at minimum, and exponential growth isn't far fetched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17042 of 17111 Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
But when you think about it, predicting what TV will look like 10 years from now is almost impossible. Just look at how things have changed in the last 10 years, and tech growth over the next 10 years is geometric at minimum, and exponential growth isn't far fetched.
Very true, but that will be tempered somewhat by the FCC which moves glacially compared to technology. Otherwise we would have to replace our TVs every other year in order to keep up.
post #17043 of 17111 Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
when you think about it, predicting what TV will look like 10 years from now is almost impossible. Just look at how things have changed in the last 10 years, and tech growth over the next 10 years is geometric at minimum, and exponential growth isn't far fetched.
TV hasn't changed much since I was a kid. I mean, the way I use it hasn't. We had an antenna and a television then. I have an antenna and a television now. I like DVRs and remote controls and all the other peripherals, but I'm still clicking through the channels looking for something to fall asleep to.

I don't things will look much different in ten years. The repack ought to be done Not sure ATSC 3.0 will be a big deal. More people streaming, less people with cable/satellite.

Time will tell, but ten years is not what it used to be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17044 of 17111 Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Is our patience being tested again? None of my DVR+ EPGs go out past 7am Wednesday January 8.

The Guide is alive! My last guide update is Jan 5, 10:10PM. My guide is now populated thru Jan 17, 7:00AM.
wiscojim likes this.
post #17045 of 17111 Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Is our patience being tested again? None of my DVR+ EPGs go out past 7am Wednesday January 8.
Reply from CM Support:

"Ben (Channel Master Support)

Jan 6, 8:50 AM MST

Hello Mr Menning,
Sorry for the guide issues. It should be resolved now and the information will go out to 1/16. We understand its not a full 14 days,however ROVI is currently working on a permanent solution. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Regards,Channel Master Support
[email protected]
1-877-746-7261"

JHBrandt likes this.
post #17046 of 17111 Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVR+ Replacement guide

I just watched a 7500GB16 go for $375 + $15s/h on eBay. clearly there is still a demand for these things.

Regarding the EPG. Mine has been sub-standard since the Nov/Dec data outage - slots that say TBA, listing without descriptions, and just outright wrong listings (says one thing, but another show is on).

After observing (with wireshark) that the EPG data requests and responses are mostly clear text (JSON structures) it seems like the server could be replaced.

Someone here mentioned www schedulesdirect org. I took a look at this service and it looks like a 'server' could be developed. SD costs about $25 per year. Reasonable.

It would need to comply with SD's terms of service so you would need a subscription, a 'local' epg server on your network (e.g. running on your PC), and we would need permission for the 'app'

It would work something like this (I think):

1) Subscribe to SD
2) Intercept the dns request to epg.channelmastertv.com and have it return the IP address of a local PC
This would involve having a local dns server. This does not appear to be too difficult - it can be implemented a few different ways, but the easiest might be a service running on your router.
3) Develop a little server program that would
a) take the requests from DVR+ (see below),
b) reformat the request and ask SD (using your account) for the data (which also has a JSON interface)
c) reformat the data to match what the 7500 expects,
d) return it to DVR+. go back to (a) until all requests are processed.
Of course there are some issues -
0) a local dns server must be set up -
1) a pc needs to be running when the DVR+ makes its call, which is typically just once per day (or when you manually initiate it)
2) someone has to write this server/translator (and I haven't written much code since 2008)
Easy-Peasy?

These are the calls DVR+ makes to its data server

(get me information about schedules for my zipcode - for me it returns the 20499 ID)

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/services/postalcode/53593/info?
apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw&
locale=en-US&
countrycode=US&
msoid=306430&
format=json HTTP/1.1

(this call asks for the channel images - not really needed)

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/servicedetails/serviceid/20499/info?
apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw&locale=en-US&
includechannelimages=true&
imagehorizontalresolution=92&
imageverticalresolution=36&
format=json HTTP/1.1

(get listings - repeated calls for 4 hours[240=4*60]are made until the server responds with "" no more data)

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info?
apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw&
locale=en-US&
duration=240&
inprogress=true&
startdate=2019-11-19T12:00:00Z&
format=json HTTP/1.1

I
P Smith, 645824 and pilotart like this.
post #17047 of 17111 Old 01-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothee View Post
I just watched a 7500GB16 go for $375 + $15s/h on eBay. clearly there is still a demand for these things.
It makes me wonder if CM would still happily be selling the DVR+ if the whole E*/Dish thing never happened, and regrets the result. I think the price you show above is pretty much what I paid for the 1TB model almost 5 years ago. If CM isn't seriously looking down the road for a real replacement for the DVR+, i.e. at least 2 tuners, grid style PSIP EPG along with in Internet guide, name based recording, streaming capability, etc then they are really missing the boat. The hardware isn't even a challenge these days when designing a DVR, so the only real challenge would be the software. If CM is working on that now, by the time ATSC 3.0 becomes embedded there should be no issue with them having a stable platform that both rectifies the bugs the DVR+ had in addition to incorporating some of what has to be a long list of feature requests that they have. Hell, if they came here I have no doubt that the people here could, on paper design the perfect DVR. Oh, well...pipe dreams are fun.
timothee likes this.
post #17048 of 17111 Old 01-07-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
My first guess would be the HDMI output is gone. But HDMI is so finicky, a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI port on the TV are worth a try. Maybe you'll get lucky....
So my DVR+ 'disappeared' again yesterday morning and I used the opportunity to replace the HDMI cable. It came right back with a different HDMI cable, so hopefully this will be the fix. I'll know that to be the case if it doesn't disappear again in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for all the great suggestions on this forum!
post #17049 of 17111 Old 01-07-2020, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothee View Post

Regarding the EPG. Mine has been sub-standard since the Nov/Dec data outage - slots that say TBA, listing without descriptions, and just outright wrong listings (says one thing, but another show is on).

After observing (with wireshark) that the EPG data requests and responses are mostly clear text (JSON structures) it seems like the server could be replaced.

Someone here mentioned www schedulesdirect org. I took a look at this service and it looks like a 'server' could be developed. SD costs about $25 per year. Reasonable.

It would need to comply with SD's terms of service so you would need a subscription, a 'local' epg server on your network (e.g. running on your PC), and we would need permission for the 'app'

It would work something like this (I think):

1) Subscribe to SD
2) Intercept the dns request to epg.channelmastertv.com and have it return the IP address of a local PC
This would involve having a local dns server. This does not appear to be too difficult - it can be implemented a few different ways, but the easiest might be a service running on your router.
3) Develop a little server program that would
a) take the requests from DVR+ (see below),
b) reformat the request and ask SD (using your account) for the data (which also has a JSON interface)
c) reformat the data to match what the 7500 expects,
d) return it to DVR+. go back to (a) until all requests are processed.
Of course there are some issues -
0) a local dns server must be set up -
1) a pc needs to be running when the DVR+ makes its call, which is typically just once per day (or when you manually initiate it)
2) someone has to write this server/translator (and I haven't written much code since 2008)
Easy-Peasy?
Spoiler!
I
If the DVR+ is making simple http: requests to its server, this should be possible. As far as the legalities, the DVR+ is a commercial product but so is WMC, and Gracenote granted an exception for the latter since it's no longer available for purchase (since M$ no longer sells Win XP/Vista/7/8[.1]). They'd probably grant a similar exception for "EPG123 for the DVR+" for the same reason.

The only show-stopper I can foresee would be if the DVR+ is making https: requests instead of http: and validating the server certificate. If that's the case we'd be screwed.
post #17050 of 17111 Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I'm thinking of TR-50 aka PAL DVR Internet guide revitalizing ...
post #17051 of 17111 Old 01-09-2020, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

In return to posted useful info here...

I'm in process of fixing old Sony Bravia KDL-37P3000 TV (so far so good, replaced Inverter PCB, perhaps need good T-Conn PCB too).
While testing its picture [720 native resolution], I decide to use my HDT-610R (UK predecessor of USA K77 aka DVR+) to feed it through HDMI input by play some old recordings.
The DVR doing it job well, so I thought why not program the flat remote to control TV same time ? It would be convenient for me.

Aero1 did good move when uploaded DVR+ Guide to the thread - old URLs pointing to CM site giving me just white screen

So, I began programming DVR's remote …. NO ONE listed Sony TV code doesn't work ! Bummer !

Here is interesting engineering info: using IR decoding box [KL-600IR] I did check what exactly is programmed for each Sony codeset of DVR's.
Basically, the box does show a family model chip [Format], system code (specific for a pair remote+box) [System] and button code(s).
I got original Sony TV remote RM-ED017 and pull all the pertinent data: Sys = 01, Format = 6124, PwrButton = 15 (all values are hex).

Now it's a time to see what each DVR remote Sony code making...

1071: - nothing registered (perhaps the IR decoder can not parse the data format)
1641: 1F/17;3004;04 (the two Sys codes alternating on each press of pwr/any button)
1731: 1D/15;3004;00
1901: - same as first code
2161: - same as first code
2741: - same as first code
3531: E1/C1;3010;0C
3891: - same as first code
4101: 0707;9012;0F
4891 and 5321 are rejecting by the remote (four quick flashes instead of two long)

And most intrigued part of the experiments: I found matching code!
Manually, using brute force and my luck . It was 1041.
One small mishap but it's not a roadblock - a code for TV AV button is 40, while original Sony remote emit 25.
So, the TV could be control by buttons of DVR flat remote: TV PWR/TV AV [not useful]/Vol+/Vol-/Mute.

Hope it will help someone here.

PS. "System Code" named by the logger-decoder's designer in reality is "Address Code" aka "Custom Code" according by datasheets of remote control's chip.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by P Smith; 01-12-2020 at 11:46 PM.
post #17052 of 17111 Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
As I've noticed an alarming lack of accuracy even when DVR+ Guide is up. ....
Art
I've also noticed a lot of inaccuracies especially starting about three weeks ago when a lot of programs recorded did not match what they had been listed as in the DVR+ EPG. Now when I make my list from titantv.com of programs I wish to record, if they seem to conflict with times shown in the DVR+ EPG I record both time slots.

pilotart likes this.
post #17053 of 17111 Old 01-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Frankly, I'm surprised they have expended as much effort as they have ...
We replaced our DVR+'s functionality with an HD HomeRun Quatro and DVR software on a NAS over a year-and-a-half ago--about the time Channel Master stopped selling the DVR+ or any similar successor, on the assumption guide data would disappear soon-ish. I, too, am surprised they've maintained it this long.

Then again: Anybody who bought a DVR+ soon before they discontinued it will probably be highly annoyed when the guide data disappears. I know I certainly would be.

Quote:
It makes me wonder if CM would still happily be selling the DVR+ if the whole E*/Dish thing never happened, and regrets the result.
I suspect so. Got some neighbours across the street who, upon seeing our's, how it works and what it cost us, were interested. Told my wife I'd gladly sell them ours, except I don't want them mad at us when the guide data disappears or, God forbid, the DVR+ or USB drive went tango uniform.

Ours is still running, but we hardly access it, any more, save to clean up unwatched recordings so the drive doesn't fill up. Once or twice the DVR software for the HDHR QC screwed up a scheduled recording and we've been able to watch the one on the DVR+.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 01-09-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #17054 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Here we go again (only 5 days' guide data)!

No guide data after 7:30AM Friday, nor has there been for a few days.
post #17055 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Noticed the same thing yesterday so did an update but no change; guide only went out to Friday, January 17. Changed zip codes this morning to a different one but still in my viewing area (Erie, PA), did guide update and now the guide goes out to January 23.

Can't say the change in zip code did the trick, or just waiting an additional 12 hours to update.

Like others I'm getting a little nervous about loosing the online guide but I'll manage if it all goes away. All I'm interested in is recording OTA TV so the DVR+ has been the best $300 I've spent in the last 4 years.

-John
post #17056 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8guard View Post
Like others I'm getting a little nervous about loosing the online guide but I'll manage if it all goes away. All I'm interested in is recording OTA TV so the DVR+ has been the best $300 I've spent in the last 4 years.
As someone who has never used the Internet guide this has me curious. What will Internet guide users do if/when it ceases to work? Will they dump the DVR+ for something else, use one of the PSIP tricks to keep it as up to date as possible, use manual recordings for all the programs they want to record, use the DVR+ only for the tuners or pausing live TV, etc?
post #17057 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
As someone who has never used the Internet guide this has me curious. What will Internet guide users do if/when it ceases to work? Will they dump the DVR+ for something else, use one of the PSIP tricks to keep it as up to date as possible, use manual recordings for all the programs they want to record, use the DVR+ only for the tuners or pausing live TV, etc?
Interesting question, wonder if we will see an influx of low priced DVR+ units hitting the auction site when the Internet guide goes away? Might be a good time for those satisfied with PSIP to pick up a spare.
post #17058 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Basically what I will do is use a combination of PSIP and online guides (i.e. Zap2it) . I already have manually programmed my DVR+, and I works so well aside from guide glitches that I will hang on to mine. When the guide works it is excellent.
We have Dish, but their DVR has only 2 tuners, so I often use my DVR+ to back up Dish's. I would like us to switch to Sling (if I can convince my significant other). If I do, I will use their cloud DVR for "cable" channels and the DVR+ for OTA channels. I have a Roku so the no-longer-working streaming channels are not a factor.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #17059 of 17111 Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting question, wonder if we will see an influx of low priced DVR+ units hitting the auction site when the Internet guide goes away? Might be a good time for those satisfied with PSIP to pick up a spare.
Hey, that's something I didn't think of. I'd be in the group that would buy a used DVR+ if it was cheap. A second DVR+ would be in my wheelhouse and fit right in with the way I handle the PSIP deficiencies. All I would have to do is run both DVR+ units off a power strip that is connected to the timer. With 4 HD tuners my single tuner SD Philips DVDR would probably be relegated to very limited use if I had a second DVR+. I currently only use it if I need a third tuner or want to burn a DVD of a program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Basically what I will do is use a combination of PSIP and online guides (i.e. Zap2it) . I already have manually programmed my DVR+, and I works so well aside from guide glitches that I will hang on to mine.
So would you just let it freewheel and handle PSIP to the extent that it does? Or would you use scheduled/occasional reboots or dummy recordings to keep PSIP up to date?
post #17060 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
It's Alive!

Earlier today, my Guide only went out to Jan 17. The update time for my DVR+ is 10:50PM. The guide now goes out to Jan 24, 7:00AM.
post #17061 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

If the internet guide goes away I'll just continue with the PSIP and other online guides. I have no problem doing manual recordings after programming VCRs for 30 years.
Not giving up my DVR+ until it dies in a cloud of blue smoke!

-John
crabboy and pilotart like this.
post #17062 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Earlier today, my Guide only went out to Jan 17. The update time for my DVR+ is 10:50PM. The guide now goes out to Jan 24, 7:00AM.
I noticed that too. Looks like we get one guide update per week nowadays.
post #17063 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8guard View Post
If the internet guide goes away I'll just continue with the PSIP and other online guides. I have no problem doing manual recordings after programming VCRs for 30 years.

Not giving up my DVR+ until it dies in a cloud of blue smoke!

-John
As long as you do something to keep the PSIP guide up-to-date on the stations you record, the only thing you really lose is "New" recordings. You'll have to change them to "All" instead, so you may wind up recording a few reruns. Not a big deal; just have to delete the unwanted ones.

My wife still likes her old DTVPal DVR, even though it's been PSIP-only since Rovi shut down TVGOS.
Quote:
Looks like we get one guide update per week nowadays.
So from now until the end, it'll slowly dwindle down to one week, then jump back up to two every week?

Not ideal, but I can live with it.
post #17064 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

So would you just let it freewheel and handle PSIP to the extent that it does? Or would you use scheduled/occasional reboots or dummy recordings to keep PSIP up to date?
Most likely "A". The other choice sounds way too complicated.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #17065 of 17111 Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So from now until the end, it'll slowly dwindle down to one week, then jump back up to two every week?
Not sure why that would be the case. Their system either works or it doesn't. What technical factor could there be that causes the Internet guide to only populate once every other week? If the source data is updated daily by adding one day to a two week schedule then CM pushing two weeks worth of guide data every other week is going to be intentional...and possibly sadistic. On the other hand, they may be doing that because their servers are being tweaked and are not really functioning in the interim.
post #17066 of 17111 Old 01-14-2020, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounded to me like it was populating once a week. If so, I'd guess that's either because Rovi is only updating the guide once a week (to add the new "out" week), or more likely, because CM is only downloading updates once a week. Why that might be is anyone's guess, but it seems to be how the guide is acting now.
post #17067 of 17111 Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Sounded to me like it was populating once a week. If so, I'd guess that's either because Rovi is only updating the guide once a week (to add the new "out" week), or more likely, because CM is only downloading updates once a week. Why that might be is anyone's guess, but it seems to be how the guide is acting now.
Sounds like things happened in the past to automatically update the guide data on the server. Now it sounds like Rovi may be providing the guide data in a different format that requires some manipulation and human intervention on CM's part before it goes to the server.
post #17068 of 17111 Old 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is a blast from the past. When I lived in the DC suburbs, there was a recurring problem with the DVR+ where it would lose channel 7 (the ABC DC affil). It didn't bother me a whole lot because I could also pick up channel 2 (the ABC Baltimore affil) and there wasn't much on ABC that I was recording. I've recently moved to Arizona and I'm having the same/similar issue with channel 5 (the CBS Phoenix affil). On the DVR+, it registers with good signal strength, but sometimes it just doesn't get anything. I use a splitter to send the antenna signals to both the DVR+ and directly to my Samsung TV. The TV is rock solid on the station and usually so is the DVR+, but last night the DVR+ apparently "misplaced" channel 5. This is annoying because I watch a lot of stuff on CBS!

Anybody else observe these type of issues with the DVR+ on certain stations?
post #17069 of 17111 Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrow

I would try to swap cables between TV and the DVR at the splitter ...
post #17070 of 17111 Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
This is a blast from the past. When I lived in the DC suburbs, there was a recurring problem with the DVR+ where it would lose channel 7 (the ABC DC affil). It didn't bother me a whole lot because I could also pick up channel 2 (the ABC Baltimore affil) and there wasn't much on ABC that I was recording. I've recently moved to Arizona and I'm having the same/similar issue with channel 5 (the CBS Phoenix affil). On the DVR+, it registers with good signal strength, but sometimes it just doesn't get anything. I use a splitter to send the antenna signals to both the DVR+ and directly to my Samsung TV. The TV is rock solid on the station and usually so is the DVR+, but last night the DVR+ apparently "misplaced" channel 5. This is annoying because I watch a lot of stuff on CBS!

Anybody else observe these type of issues with the DVR+ on certain stations?
I live in Mesa and I am rock solid with 5 CBS the only thing is that the guide is incorrect daily or only goes out 3 or 4 days.
The other only issue I have which is all stations not channel 5 is that some programs start recording late at the wrong time like 20 minutes late on a 30 minute program. Go figure have tried everything to stop that with no success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page