Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 593 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4776Likes

post #17761 of 17840 Old 06-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I'm also wondering if there might be other DVR's out there that can be exploited in the same way. Probably not the Stream+, since Google gets their tentacles into everything like a Star Trek Borg. Probably not any TiVo DVR's, either.
And if word gets out, you can bet some manufacturers will be circumventing anyone from doing this in the future, via the aforementioned encryption, etc., if they haven't already.

Last edited by chazdole; 06-28-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
I know there is a forum for those using the new guide program, PiGS. This is for those thinking about switching.

Been following the guide stuff for a while. Amazed how quickly it came together. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect it to really work, at least to be usable for non-programmers.

I'm not a programmer. I wrote some BASIC in mid 90's, I was a late adopter to computers. Reasonably computer savvy. Been looking for excuse to get a Raspberry pi for years. I picked one up early Tues. afternoon , and had it running by late evening. It would have been sooner, but a bad OS disk from the store caused a slowdown.

For those of you on the fence, DO IT! It was easier than I expected, and the new, complete, ~14 day guide is nice!

Kudos to Timothy for all the hard work. We are very lucky to have someone willing and able to pull this off. Life expectancy of DVR+ extended.

I am at the other end of the spectrum. A former cobol programmer, build my own computers, designed MS Access databases, installed my own routers and modems and after 8 hours still working on installing PiGs! I have hit one road block after another. So while it may be easy for some I suspect others will have my experience. So a reality check is in order! I'm not saying don't do it just be mindful it may or may not be as easy as some people say.

In case anyone wants to respond with assistance please PM me.
post #17763 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

In case anyone wants to respond with assistance please PM me.
what are you trying to install it on? and you should take this to the PiGS forum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17764 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothee View Post
what are you trying to install it on? and you should take this to the PiGS forum...

I am on the PiGS forum a lot but just want the DVR+ folks to know that not all of us are having an easy PiGS installation and give them another point of view.

That was my only interest in posting here.
post #17765 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
I am on the PiGS forum a lot but just want the DVR+ folks to know that not all of us are having an easy PiGS installation and give them another point of view.
That was my only interest in posting here.

Ok, but one thing is very important. PiGS is brand new and is not released yet - its in Beta testing.

It also is designed and intended for the Pi. Installation instructions are for the Pi.
8 beta testers have this running now, with just minimal support from me.

If you aren't going to follow the recommended installation method, its not really fair to say it is 'difficult'. Trying to install on a new untested platform & python install is going to have issues (eg missing Python libraries that are included on the Pi) and you will have to deep-dive to solve those issues, I probably did hundreds if not a thousand google searches to get this thing running just on the Pi

Because your network card doesn't work has NOTHING to do with PiGS.

Here is the $42 solution I recommended on June 19

I'm very impressed with the beta testers that took the initiative to make PiGS work on other hardware, Pi emulators, etc, but it is not my recommended method, for just the issues are you having. Maybe someone will come up with a clean set of install instructions for a Windows platform (FitMark seems to be well on his way with the Pi emulator), but until then...
chazdole, pachinko and pilotart like this.

Last edited by timothee; 06-29-2020 at 06:57 AM.
post #17766 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
my DVR+ just decided to not move from the RECORD PROGRAM screen to the 'select recording by name options' screen.
Did re-boots no help..
Been using DVR+ since day 1 - never had this happen.
post #17767 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 PM

In addition to not allowing all of same name screen - it will only record one channel?
What have I done
post #17768 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy.t View Post
It would need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. The reason it was so easy with the CM DVR+ is that all the data coming back from the Rovi servers is clear text and in an industry standard format that's dirt simple to decode (JSON).

It would be just as simple for a vendor to encrypt the guide data from the server before transmission, and decode the data inside their DVR. An encrypted system is next to impossible to circumvent with your own guide server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
And if word gets out, you can bet some manufacturers will be circumventing anyone from doing this in the future, via the aforementioned encryption, etc., if they haven't already.
All true. But I would bet that no one is encrypting their guide data (other than maybe Google and TiVo) at the present time. Most are probably doing the same thing Rovi did with the DVR+. It's simple, and one less headache they have to deal with in the event of a problem. And if they chose to encrypt their guide data before transmission, they would still have to force an update of any DVR that would need to decrypt it. If they didn't, the same exploit that @timothee found would work: Hijacking the guide update request and redirecting it to more friendly waters. The only difference between them and the DVR+ is that the DVR+ had already reached EOL, so no more updates were coming down the pike. If the DVR+ was still in the middle of the life cycle, there would no doubt be an update and possible encrypted guide data soon after PiGS was released. The DVR+ also had the added benefit of being able to revert to previous versions of the FW. For current DVR's that are susceptible to this exploit, users would have to block the FW update requests to prevent it.
post #17769 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
In addition to not allowing all of same name screen - it will only record one channel?
What have I done
I'm guessing. Plug in the USB disk, and mount it.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #17770 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
my DVR+ just decided to not move from the RECORD PROGRAM screen to the 'select recording by name options' screen.
Did re-boots no help..
Been using DVR+ since day 1 - never had this happen.
Does the DVR+ reset to a regular screen following a reboot, then hang up again once you start drilling down into menus? If so, I'd suggest the dreaded full factory reset. But before you do that, you might try two relatively inexpensive things: One is to change the batteries in your remote on the off chance that they are going bad. The second thing would be to try a universal remote. There is always the chance that it's your remote going bad, and not the DVR+. Keep in mind that it's the remote that has the vast majority of moving parts, and everything mechanical eventually wears out.
post #17771 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Regarding encrypting the guide data, it is trivial for them to do on their side, but yes, they would need a firmware update on the box. Encryption is very mature and already built in to all compression algorithms and web servers - it's just a matter of turning it on. They would actually benefit from turning on encrypted compression as it would lessen their bandwidth and server load (i.e. less bytes to transmit)

I'm not surprised that the DVR+ isn't encrypted though, because the guide is free, but I would guess every one of the DVRs that charge for guide service are encrypted.

As for rolling back the firmware, that can be blocked just as easily. They did that on my beloved Blackberry Playbook. One day I could mount an OTG USB drive and the next day no. The update also blocked downgrades.

All that being said, I think you're absolutely correct that we don't have to worry about any of this this on an EOL unit. If they would send an update to use encrypted guide data, that would just be vindictive, and the fallout from the negative press would not help their bottom line.
JHBrandt and pilotart like this.
post #17772 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Thank you,

Both problems
Hard drive disconnected.
Battery dying in remote (new peanut - uses batteries quick)
Two problems probably not related - just left me confused

New batteries and reconnect HD - all OK
JHBrandt, pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #17773 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Thank you,

Both problems
Hard drive disconnected.
Battery dying in remote (new peanut - uses batteries quick)
Two problems probably not related - just left me confused

New batteries and reconnect HD - all OK
As I recall, we've run into the problem of only recording one show a time, and it was the USB drive was disconnected. Glad it's working!
pilotart likes this.
post #17774 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3063 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
If the DVR+ was still in the middle of the life cycle, there would no doubt be an update and possible encrypted guide data soon after PiGS was released.
If the DVR+ were still in the middle of its life cycle, presumably the CM-provided guide wouldn't be in such terrible shape that we would've invented PiGS in the first place.

Besides, the only reason PiGS got an SD exemption was that the DVR+ isn't still in the middle of its life cycle. SD couldn't approve use of its guide for a DVR that's still on the market.

So what other DVRs might this approach work with?

1. There's the CM-7400. It used a paid guide that might have been encrypted. OTOH, perhaps the server just validated the user's credentials, then sent the guide data in plain text. A bigger problem is that its guide is defunct, so it'd be a lot harder to reverse-engineer at this point.
  2. A loosely related idea applies to the DVR+ itself: a PiGS-like replacement for CMTV. But again, the CMTV service is defunct, making it much tougher to reverse-engineer.

So, we're looking for a DVR, with an Internet-provided guide, that's past EoS, but whose guide service is still operating (at least to some extent) so that we'll have a fighting chance to reverse-engineer it. Probably a very short list! We got lucky with the DVR+.
timothee likes this.
post #17775 of 17840 Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Encryption is very mature and already built in to all compression algorithms and web servers - it's just a matter of turning it on. They would actually benefit from turning on encrypted compression as it would lessen their bandwidth and server load (i.e. less bytes to transmit)
I think the cumbersome part would be that if the guide provider encrypts it, the decryption ability would have to be coded into the DVR. If a company is writing code for their DVR and pointing the update code to the guide provider there is no real need for them to encrypt it. And if the guide provider does encrypt it, what happens to the users if they change the method with which that data is encrypted?

Quote:
As for rolling back the firmware, that can be blocked just as easily. They did that on my beloved Blackberry Playbook. One day I could mount an OTG USB drive and the next day no. The update also blocked downgrades.
My guess is that the DVR+ is just a very exploitable device compared to a lot of DVR's, and the ability to roll back the FW is just one of many exploits that benefit the user. I've had a lot of computers where I reverted to an older version of a software application, but I can't recall any other electronic device I've owned where I could, or wanted to revert to an older FW version.

Quote:
All that being said, I think you're absolutely correct that we don't have to worry about any of this this on an EOL unit. If they would send an update to use encrypted guide data, that would just be vindictive, and the fallout from the negative press would not help their bottom line.
In many ways it would be in CM's best interest to recommend PiGS to users wanting to perpetuate their Internet guide, and then wash their hands of the whole guide business. We know they are working with Rovi to keep the guide going. We also know that they are hosting the data now that Rovi is out of the DVR+ guide business. Given how long CM has been working on this and how quickly the PiGS roll out occurred, it might even be cheaper for CM to purchase PiGS from @timothee for big $$$ and adapt it to function on their existing servers and to remap the Rovi data they are tinkering with. Haven't they been trying to fix this problem for well over a year now?
pilotart likes this.
post #17776 of 17840 Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It might even be cheaper for CM to purchase PiGS from timothee for big $$$ and adapt it to function on their existing servers and to remap the Rovi data they are tinkering with. Haven't they been trying to fix this problem for well over a year now?
CM could switch their own guide provider to Gracenote, in which case the PiGS software stands as an already-developed means of translating Gracenote's guide data to the Rovi format, so our DVR+'s could digest it. I once stumbled across a Gracenote reseller very similar to SD, but for for-profit entities like CM. I think rates were as low as $30/year per subscriber, almost as cheap as SD.

The problem with that, though, is that the guide couldn't be free any longer (although it could be cheap. as noted above). And that means DVR+ users would need subscriptions, which in turn means another DVR+ firmware update to validate your subscription. There's no getting around a firmware update unless the guide remains free and CM eats the $30/year per DVR+, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that!

So your first idea is probably better. CM should just announce EoS for the guide and point DVR+ users to PiGS as a replacement.
post #17777 of 17840 Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
CM could switch their own guide provider to Gracenote, in which case the PiGS software stands as an already-developed means of translating Gracenote's guide data to the Rovi format, so our DVR+'s could digest it. I once stumbled across a Gracenote reseller very similar to SD, but for for-profit entities like CM. I think rates were as low as $30/year per subscriber, almost as cheap as SD.

The problem with that, though, is that the guide couldn't be free any longer (although it could be cheap. as noted above). And that means DVR+ users would need subscriptions, which in turn means another DVR+ firmware update to validate your subscription. There's no getting around a firmware update unless the guide remains free and CM eats the $30/year per DVR+, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that!

So your first idea is probably better. CM should just announce EoS for the guide and point DVR+ users to PiGS as a replacement.
I would guess for companies with 100,000 DVRs, the rate would go to 1/10 of individual sub price...
post #17778 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking that validation/authentication could be done using the MAC address or Receiver ID. Surely that information is passed along to CM every time a DVR+ connects to their servers. That should eliminate the need for a FW update, though CM would still have to do some coding on their end of the line.
post #17779 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I was thinking that validation/authentication could be done using the MAC address or Receiver ID. Surely that information is passed along to CM every time a DVR+ connects to their servers.
Neither gets to CM. A MAC address doesn't propagate past your first network hop, usually your router. If MAC addresses were transmitted, stolen laptops would be trivial to locate (with ISP cooperation). Furthermore, CM would only know the MAC of the built-in Ethernet port, which most people don't use because wireless is more convenient.

When I was doing my own network analysis last year, I noticed that there was one piece of what looked like unique data sent to CM, the API key. When timothee posted his initial pre-PiGS observation of network traffic, I saw that his API key was the same as mine, which means it's the same for all DVR+ boxes, meaning there is no unique receiver ID sent to CM.

... which makes it trivial for Rovi to cut off the guide completely if CM's contact expires or they don't want to keep their DVR+ subscription.
post #17780 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking that validation/authentication could be done using the MAC address or Receiver ID. Surely that information is passed along to CM every time a DVR+ connects to their servers. That should eliminate the need for a FW update, though CM would still have to do some coding on their end of the line.
Yes, that could work. It'd be a bigger PITA to sign up, since the service would have to instruct you how to find your receiver ID and enter it. But you'd only have to do that once, when you first signed up for the new paid guide.

And I suppose they could let you add extra receiver IDs to your account for a discounted amount per additional DVR.
Quote:
Neither gets to CM. A MAC address doesn't propagate past your first network hop, usually your router.
According to @timothee 's investigations, the receiver ID (actually just the MAC address in decimal form) is passed to the server in the query part of the URL.

There's a potential problem of spoofing: intercepting the DVR+ requests and altering the receiver ID to "piggyback" on someone else's subscription. But I doubt it would be a big enough problem for CM to worry about.

But even though it would be a new revenue stream for them, I just don't see CM doing any of this for an EoS product. They barely supported it when it was still on the market!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-01-2020 at 06:38 PM.
post #17781 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
According to @timothee 's investigations, the receiver ID (actually just the MAC address in decimal form) is passed to the server in the query part of the URL.
MAC address or any other receiver specific info is not transmitted according to his Google Docs spreadsheet in the three calls made to the CM server, which corresponds to my findings as well. Please point out where you see it in case I'm missing something.

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/services/postalcode/53593/info
?apikey=v4edzwwtca4e847n72j8kesw
&locale=enUS
&countrycode=US
&msoid=306430
&format=json HTTP/1.1

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/servicedetails/serviceid/20499/info
&locale=en-US
&includechannelimages=true
&imagehorizontalresolution=92
&imageverticalresolution=36
&format=json HTTP/1.1

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info
&locale=en-US
&duration=240
&inprogress=true
&startdate=2020-05-02T16:00:00Z
&format=json HTTP/1.1

Last edited by rudy.t; 07-01-2020 at 07:26 PM.
post #17782 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazon delivered my Pi 3B+ today. It was shipped in a small, thin cardboard box in a padded envelope with no other packaging.

The Ethernet port was smashed. It was ruined. I was forced to return it.

Amazon pays return shipping, of course. Still, I spent $5 on a decent box and bubble wrap to send it back. At least it won't get back to them in worse shape than it was when I got it.

Really disappointed, but Amazon is usually pretty good about packaging their stuff for shipping. So I'll give them another chance. I expect they'll probably get it right next time.
Took a full week but I finally got my refund Monday.
Quote:
I've heard of that flashing light thing. I looked at this table https://socialcompare.com/en/compari...els-comparison and it said that the B+ was 1.13A, lower than the Model B, and I figured many phone chargers do 2A, so it would work.

The Raspberry Pi website of course says use their 2.5A charger, but it seemed like overkill for the actual use current. No?

To be safe, one could always just go for the OEM charger - I was just trying to offer and lowest entry cost possible.
Reordered the Pi 3B+ today, and this time I threw in a 32GB micro SD card for $7.50. Skipped the $10 power supply since I already have a 2.1A one.
Hopefully they'll ship it in a bit more robust packaging this time.
pachinko and timothee like this.
post #17783 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
MAC address or any other receiver specific info is not transmitted according to his Google Docs spreadsheet in the three calls made to the CM server, which corresponds to my findings as well. Please point out where you see it in case I'm missing something.
It wouldnt be in the GET, it would be in the lower level ethernet packet

Ethernet II, Src: Echostar_4e:bf:d1 (04:c9:d9:4e:bf:d1), Dst: BelkinIn_b5:cd:7c (14:91:82:b5:cd:7c)
Destination: BelkinIn_b5:cd:7c (14:91:82:b5:cd:7c)
Source: Echostar_4e:bf:d1 (04:c9:d9:4e:bf:d1)
Type: IPv4 (0x0800)

but if you google 'can a web server see my mac address' it says not - the mac gets stripped off at some point, as someone mentioned a few posts back.

there is one call the dvr makes for a firmware check to stbfw where it send some of its mac address to the server, but I dont think that helps authentication.
post #17784 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Several months back I ran this experiment:
Quote:
As an experiment I blocked the second name (cps-static.rovicorp.com) in my router to see what would happen. Surprisingly, automatic nightly guide updates continued working, but manually-requested guide updates no longer worked! Manually requesting a guide update would just result in the entire guide falling back to PSIP. New Internet guide data never came in. Make of that what you will....
In light of that, I wonder if anyone has tried a manual guide update with PiGS? Did it work? If it did, can anyone shed light on the curious result of my experiment? What is the DVR+ doing at that site?

If it didn't work, @Greasemonkey speculated that perhaps the DVR+ gets manual updates directly from Rovi (TiVo) but automatic updates from the Channel Master (or Echostar, in previous firmware releases) proxy; if he's right, redirecting cps-static.rovicorp.com to PiGS also should fix manual guide updates. Does it?
post #17785 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that could work. It'd be a bigger PITA to sign up, since the service would have to instruct you how to find your receiver ID and enter it. But you'd only have to do that once, when you first signed up for the new paid guide.
Quote:
Quote:
but if you google 'can a web server see my mac address' it says not - the mac gets stripped off at some point, as someone mentioned a few posts back.
I checked my DVR+ and couldn't find the MAC address anywhere in the menus. Short of cracking open the box there might not be any way to see it. The Receiver ID is easy to see under Technical Information. Mine is 67:B4:BB:08, but if it doesn't get sent it's a moot point. And the Receiver ID is the only thing close to a unique ID I could find using the menus. The only other unique ID numbers I could find are the Serial Number and the WAN MAC, which are on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. But if they aren't sent either...back to moot point.
post #17786 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Several months back I ran this experiment:In light of that, I wonder if anyone has tried a manual guide update with PiGS? Did it work? If it did, can anyone shed light on the curious result of my experiment? What is the DVR+ doing at that site?

If it didn't work, @Greasemonkey speculated that perhaps the DVR+ gets manual updates directly from Rovi (TiVo) but automatic updates from the Channel Master (or Echostar, in previous firmware releases) proxy; if he's right, redirecting cps-static.rovicorp.com to PiGS also should fix manual guide updates. Does it?
i just added the line 127.0.0.1 stbfw.echodata.tv to my -etc-hosts file and tested it with ping.
then did a manual guide refresh and dvr went right to pigs as usual.

in all my wiresharking I never noticed an stbfw dns call anywhere near a guide request call...

Last edited by timothee; 07-01-2020 at 09:10 PM.
post #17787 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I checked my DVR+ and couldn't find the MAC address anywhere in the menus. Short of cracking open the box there might not be any way to see it. The Receiver ID is easy to see under Technical Information. Mine is 67:B4:BB:08, but if it doesn't get sent it's a moot point. And the Receiver ID is the only thing close to a unique ID I could find using the menus. The only other unique ID numbers I could find are the Serial Number and the WAN MAC, which are on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. But if they aren't sent either...back to moot point.

The is your MAC address (minus the upper 2 digits)!! If you go to settings, Network, Advanced you can see your complete mac address

if you click on my link to the other post you can see the stbfw call. but in that case it is making a request for a fw update once every 24hrs, not a request for schedule data....
post #17788 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post
It might of been me in post#17158.
Unfortunately @timothee 's post below predates yours:
Quote:
Someone here mentioned www schedulesdirect org. I took a look at this service and it looks like a 'server' could be developed. SD costs about $25 per year.
So I think it was actually me, back in September:
Quote:
The only other major guide data source I'm aware of is Gracenote. But I'm not sure which services use Gracenote other than Schedules Direct.
post #17789 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i just added the line 127.0.0.1 stbfw.echodata.tv to my -etc-hosts file and tested it with ping.
then did a manual guide refresh and dvr went right to pigs as usual.

in all my wiresharking I never noticed an stbfw dns call anywhere near a guide request call...
Thanks for the test! Unfortunately I was asking about cps-static.rovicorp.com, not stbfw.echodata.tv.
post #17790 of 17840 Old 07-01-2020, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/services/postalcode/53593/info
&locale=enUS
&countrycode=US
&msoid=306430
&format=json HTTP/1.1

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/servicedetails/serviceid/20499/info
&locale=en-US
&includechannelimages=true
&imagehorizontalresolution=92
&imageverticalresolution=36
&format=json HTTP/1.1

GET /TVlistings/v9/listings/linearschedule/20499/info
&locale=en-US
&duration=240
&inprogress=true
&startdate=2020-05-02T16:00:00Z
&format=json HTTP/1.1
In that case, I was right the first time: the DVR+ doesn't send any info that uniquely identifies it in the guide request, so CM couldn't change to a subscription-only guide without a DVR+ firmware update. (Not that I expected them to in any case.)

But I know I didn't dream this up! What was I thinking about?
Quote:
there is one call the dvr makes for a firmware check to stbfw where it send some of its mac address to the server, but I dont think that helps authentication.
Actually the check is to tr50.dishaccess.tv, but that was where I got that! But you're right; the firmware check is unrelated to the guide refresh so it couldn't be used for authentication. Sorry for the blind alley.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-01-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page