Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #2431 of 2812 Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Of course if the DVR feature is removed, one of the firmware floating around should fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2812 Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm just not willing to spend $30 to find out, since I could get a full-blown HW-150 or iView 3500 for a few dollars more and not have to worry about it.

But if someone happens to wind up with one of the Stellar Labs boxes, I'd be interested to learn if the PVR was truly removed as with the very first HW-180s, or if they just pulled it out of the manual for some reason, like Channel Master did with their CM-7003 for a while.

Edit: The price on that Stellar Labs clone has gone up to $49.99! I guess the $29.99 was a very brief sale price. Definitely not worth it - get yourself an HW-150 and save a few bucks.

Amazingly, it's gotten mostly good reviews. I guess no one who bought one knows about the HW-150.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-14-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #2433 of 2812 Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very very late to the game about usb storage but here is what I found. I use a simple usb 3.0 sdcard reader with a microsd chip in it.
This is the specific chip I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works perfectly. I only use it for timeshifting but have none of the issues I had with slower thumbdrives, none at all.

Just my 2 cents for a cheap easy solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2812 Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Which SD card reader do you use? That could easily make a difference too.
post #2435 of 2812 Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
Very very late to the game about usb storage but here is what I found. I use a simple usb 3.0 sdcard reader with a microsd chip in it.
This is the specific chip I use:
It works perfectly. I only use it for timeshifting but have none of the issues I had with slower thumbdrives, none at all.

Just my 2 cents for a cheap easy solution
I was thinking about this and there are pluses and minuses.
MicroSD cards in theory can hit up to 2TB capacity, are explicitly rated for what speed they can achieve, require little power, are commonly available capable of 30MB/s and are designed for HD and UHD recording.

On the down side, 30MB/s is poor compared to sticks like the SanDisk Extreme Go which supposedly can write / read at 150MB/s / 200MB/s.

I think the prices are pretty similar too.

What card are you using and have you tried chase playing or other simultaneous reading/writing?
post #2436 of 2812 Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I was thinking about this and there are pluses and minuses.
MicroSD cards in theory can hit up to 2TB capacity, are explicitly rated for what speed they can achieve, require little power, are commonly available capable of 30MB/s and are designed for HD and UHD recording.

On the down side, 30MB/s is poor compared to sticks like the SanDisk Extreme Go which supposedly can write / read at 150MB/s / 200MB/s.

I think the prices are pretty similar too.

What card are you using and have you tried chase playing or other simultaneous reading/writing?
Well, apparently there's more to flash drives than raw write speed. It's important that write speed is "enough," but it doesn't have to be super-fast, and other factors seem to be in play as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
Well, I am saddened to report that today I purchased a 32GB SanDisk "elevate Ultra(R) USB 3.0 Flash Drive" at Target for the princely sum of $12.99 (regular price).

After formatting to NTFS on my computer, I set about testing it on my iView.

It worked PERFECTLY on all channels and all modes, including "chase play", rewinding, pausing, fast-forwarding live TV with ease. The test flash drive was reported as a working flash drive by another poster here, but I was skeptical.

Why am I sad? Well, as I described in my original message on this topic which was munged by my ISP, I hate being stupid. And I was very stupid before.

Now I am just as stupid, but apparently with the canonical answer to the question of "can you use a flash drive with an iView" (if my testing holds up). The answer basically is, "there are a VERY FEW that work, for unknown reasons."

Maybe later I'll share a few possible tricks that make this flash drive the CHEAP BUT EFFECTIVE answer to your iView problems...

--
max
post #2437 of 2812 Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think you nailed it. While researching SD cards I noticed that when they talk about the speeds for recording 1080p/4k video it usually talks about SUSTAINED write speed.

I suspect most of the numbers we see on USB sticks is peak speed. So while the numbers might be higher on sticks, they may not represent what to expect when making a recording over time.
post #2438 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Ok after further testing I am sad to reply that all my sdcard tests over time have proven to be unreliable.
Tested with a high quality micro sdcard with 2 different readers as well as just an old 8 gb dedicated sandisk usb and was not happy with the results over time of any of them.

Really the only valid options are:
2.5 laptop hard drive in usb 3.0 enclosure (no need for external power)
Powered Hard Drive
post #2439 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got a quick question on HDD heat for these. Should I be looking for an enclosure with a fan or will heat dissipation not be a big issue?
post #2440 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Almost any SATA laptop HDD will do. I prefer 5400rpm. 7200rpm is also ok.

Size depends on your usage amount. I use an old 40GB SSD to test which works ok.

The only thing to watch out for is the current draw of the PVR (which is required to spin up the HDD - something like < 800mA). If you look at the HDD, it should say right on the label what the draw is. Current draw on spin up does not matter with an SSD.

You also need to get an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 enclosure for it. Nothing fancy. You can get one for around $10.

Format the drive as NFTS at 64k (allocation unit size).

To update the firmware (in the future, if needed) use a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 at smallest allocation unit size.

Flash drives for recording are hit or miss. It's because they use different controllers from HDD and SSD.

If you record now to watch later, they might be ok. For chase play, not so much.

These are the basics. Good luck.
Tmein likes this.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #2441 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cuatro View Post
I've got a quick question on HDD heat for these. Should I be looking for an enclosure with a fan or will heat dissipation not be a big issue?
Personally I use an old laptop hard drive and one of these....
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No heating issues at all
post #2442 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Ok after further testing I am sad to reply that all my sdcard tests over time have proven to be unreliable.
Tested with a high quality micro sdcard with 2 different readers as well as just an old 8 gb dedicated sandisk usb and was not happy with the results over time of any of them.

Really the only valid options are:
2.5 laptop hard drive in usb 3.0 enclosure (no need for external power)
Powered Hard Drive
Yes, further testing is no day at the beach...I thought I had found a USB flash drive that worked on an old iView, then it didn't when I really needed it...

But lately I've been testing a USB flash drive that has NEVER failed to work perfectly on all channels in all recording modes. It is the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive which can be procured for $12.99 for 32GB and $20.99 for 64GB at I think all Target brick and mortar stores (SanDisk also makes larger versions all the way up to 256GB for about $70 on Amazon). It has also been reported that a "PNY Turbo Attache" flash drive works well too, although I don't own that one.

256GB Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra.../dp/B00YFI1A66

As near as I can tell, the difference between functional (for mStar recording) drives and all non-functional drives has something to do with the controller, not necessarily the absolute write speed of the flash media. You absolutely need a write speed for large sequential files of around 25-30Mbps, but you also need read/write buffers or something of sufficient size in the controller (this would apply to SSD and SD card controllers as well).

It appears that one way to determine if a flash drive MIGHT work is the width of the drive, since a controller that works can only be miniaturized so much. So super-slim and "fit" flash drives are right out. But the only way to KNOW FOR SURE is if somebody has rigorously tested it on a mStar box (and I mean RIGOROUSLY, I can actually test on 1080i channels here that run at an almost 2Mbps higher data rate that even the highest 1080i channel you're likely to encounter).

One implementation note: you might want to use the NTFS format option on the mStar box to format the drive. This will set the read segment size to 4kB, rather than the 64kB (or greater) size usually recommended in these forums. I ran some tests on different segment sizes, and it seemed to make some difference, particularly for "time-shift" or "chase play" recording on other drives.

Other note: I am right now playing back a scheduled recording 720p DD5.1, it is perfect. I am about to schedule another recording for this afternoon, 1080i DD5.1, but with an abnormally high data rate, you'll be the first to know if it has any problems.

--
max
post #2443 of 2812 Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Interesting note on the format of the drive. I did the same as you on the Ultra - I formatted it on the box itself rather than the computer. I wasn't really thinking about the differences in performance - but it has been perfect for me also so far (although I don't have a 1080i station to test it with myself). It's big test will come next Sunday when I'm chase-playing 3 hours of the Vikings game OTA while syncing up the video with the radio broadcast.
post #2444 of 2812 Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Personally I use an old laptop hard drive and one of these....

No heating issues at all
Ok, I was just wondering if the drive is always spun up it will probably be generating a fair amount of heat. Right now I just have it rigged up with no enclosure but I haven't done much recording. I guess the best plan is to just leave it on and see how hot it gets.
post #2445 of 2812 Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A 3.5" drive will generate some heat. Also, 3.5" drives generally require more power than the HW's USB port can supply, so if you're planning to use one, make sure it has a supplemental power source of some sort.

2.5" drives use much less power and thus generate less heat, and can often be powered directly from the HW's USB port.

The HW only applies power to the USB port when the drive is being used, so the drive won't spin constantly unless it uses a supplemental power supply and ignores the presence/absence of power on the USB port.
post #2446 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, further testing is no day at the beach...I thought I had found a USB flash drive that worked on an old iView, then it didn't when I really needed it...

But lately I've been testing a USB flash drive that has NEVER failed to work perfectly on all channels in all recording modes. It is the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive which can be procured for $12.99 for 32GB and $20.99 for 64GB at I think all Target brick and mortar stores (SanDisk also makes larger versions all the way up to 256GB for about $70 on Amazon). It has also been reported that a "PNY Turbo Attache" flash drive works well too, although I don't own that one.

256GB Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra.../dp/B00YFI1A66

As near as I can tell, the difference between functional (for mStar recording) drives and all non-functional drives has something to do with the controller, not necessarily the absolute write speed of the flash media. You absolutely need a write speed for large sequential files of around 25-30Mbps, but you also need read/write buffers or something of sufficient size in the controller (this would apply to SSD and SD card controllers as well).

It appears that one way to determine if a flash drive MIGHT work is the width of the drive, since a controller that works can only be miniaturized so much. So super-slim and "fit" flash drives are right out. But the only way to KNOW FOR SURE is if somebody has rigorously tested it on a mStar box (and I mean RIGOROUSLY, I can actually test on 1080i channels here that run at an almost 2Mbps higher data rate that even the highest 1080i channel you're likely to encounter).

One implementation note: you might want to use the NTFS format option on the mStar box to format the drive. This will set the read segment size to 4kB, rather than the 64kB (or greater) size usually recommended in these forums. I ran some tests on different segment sizes, and it seemed to make some difference, particularly for "time-shift" or "chase play" recording on other drives.

Other note: I am right now playing back a scheduled recording 720p DD5.1, it is perfect. I am about to schedule another recording for this afternoon, 1080i DD5.1, but with an abnormally high data rate, you'll be the first to know if it has any problems.

--
max
Wish I had your luck, I bought one of the ultras, the 16gb model and it failed to timeshift almost immediately. I did format it from the units firmware and almost immediately i got stuttering and artifacts on playback, so I went on ebay and ordered a wd scorpio blue laptop hard drive and will have to use that I guess.

For those of you like me who are trying to use a 2.5" unpowered hard drive option the scorpio blues are the best choice as they only pull 500ma on spinup where as many other 2.5 drives pull as much as 1100ma on spinup. Far as I know our 150's and 180's are usb 2.0 which means a max power of.... you guessed it 500ma so the scorpio blues work well in this capacity. I would get a BEVS (sata 1) or a BEVT (sata 2) version, I picked up an 80gb used from ebay for $8 shipped. I have a media server for recordings so my only real use for this is timeshifting.

So much for getting ANY thumbdrtive to work on my unit.

Not sure if it matters but am on a 150 running firmware version 5.3

Last edited by Skitz1967; 09-18-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #2447 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the good HDD recommendation.

The USB 2.0 specs require 500ma, but that's a minimum: manufacturers are free to exceed it. On Mediasonic's forum, they say:
Quote:
If you are using 2.5” hard drive, make sure the current required for the hard drive is less than 800ma (emphasis added).
Also says not to use a flash drive, and that's generally good advice, although there are exceptions.

The same post is in both the HW-150 and HW-130/180 subforums. So with those boxes, you do have a little "slack" beyond the 500ma minimum, but still not 1100ma! That's why it's good to know the Scorpio drives will work. (It's a bare drive, though, isn't it? You have to put it in your own USB enclosure to use it with the HW boxes.)

Strange the SanDisk didn't work for you. Did you get one that looks like the one here? https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra.../dp/B00EKWKN2O

If you got the much smaller Ultra "Fit," or a Cruzer, it won't work. The only ones known to work are the ones that look like the one linked above.
post #2448 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Thanks for the good HDD recommendation.

The USB 2.0 specs require 500ma, but that's a minimum: manufacturers are free to exceed it. On Mediasonic's forum, they say:Also says not to use a flash drive, and that's generally good advice, although there are exceptions.

The same post is in both the HW-150 and HW-130/180 subforums. So with those boxes, you do have a little "slack" beyond the 500ma minimum, but still not 1100ma! That's why it's good to know the Scorpio drives will work. (It's a bare drive, though, isn't it? You have to put it in your own USB enclosure to use it with the HW boxes.)

Strange the SanDisk didn't work for you. Did you get one that looks like the one here? https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra.../dp/B00EKWKN2O

If you got the much smaller Ultra "Fit," or a Cruzer, it won't work. The only ones known to work are the ones that look like the one linked above.
Yes bare drive, paired with this:

Oh and I added in a right angle connector for looks:

As for what thumb drive I tested with that failed here is a link to the exact one I purchased:
post #2449 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep - that's the correct drive all right. Only difference I see is the capacity (16 GB vs. 32 GB). Hard as it is to believe, maybe that makes a difference.

So far I know that 32 GB and 64 GB models have worked, at least with iViews, and I can't imagine there are any important hardware differences between the iView and HomeWorX.
post #2450 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Yep - that's the correct drive all right. Only difference I see is the capacity (16 GB vs. 32 GB). Hard as it is to believe, maybe that makes a difference.

So far I know that 32 GB and 64 GB models have worked, at least with iViews, and I can't imagine there are any important hardware differences between the iView and HomeWorX.
I've seen write speed differences of up to 20% (and maybe more) between small and large drives with the same product name and number (in this case, SanDisk Ultra SDCZ48). This is a known aspect of flash drives, the larger, the faster.

The original poster in the iView thread who recommended the Ultra bought a 16GB Ultra and said it worked, but admitted they only have 720p channels where they live.

Maybe the size is the problem, the 16GB won't work on 1080i channels. I have two Ultras, they both work fine for any and all channels and recording modes in my old iView 3500STB, but the smallest one is still 32GB. I've been using them quite a bit, today I'll be recording TMZ/TMZ Live with Anthony Scarmucci (the MOOOOCH!!!) as guest host, but I don't expect any problems with the 720p recording...

Or maybe the bastards at SanDisk just insert random controllers into each production run of the drives, wouldn't put it past them...

--
max
post #2451 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Maybe so but for $20 or so I would rather have the easy replacement of the hard drive. Though I do agree with a hard drive there does definitely seem to be more of a delay in starting timeshift
post #2452 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
today I'll be recording TMZ/TMZ Live with Anthony Scarmucci (the MOOOOCH!!!) as guest host,
I can totally see him finding his niche doing that, LOL.

Thanks for all the research on flash drives. When I got my Homeworx a couple of years ago, I was initially disappointed how poorly USB flash drives often performed in it. Still debating whether to go flash or HDD, since I don't really have portability high on my sine qua non list.
post #2453 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've seen write speed differences of up to 20% (and maybe more) between small and large drives with the same product name and number (in this case, SanDisk Ultra SDCZ48). This is a known aspect of flash drives, the larger, the faster.

The original poster in the iView thread who recommended the Ultra bought a 16GB Ultra and said it worked, but admitted they only have 720p channels where they live.

Maybe the size is the problem, the 16GB won't work on 1080i channels. I have two Ultras, they both work fine for any and all channels and recording modes in my old iView 3500STB, but the smallest one is still 32GB. I've been using them quite a bit, today I'll be recording TMZ/TMZ Live with Anthony Scarmucci (the MOOOOCH!!!) as guest host, but I don't expect any problems with the 720p recording...

Or maybe the bastards at SanDisk just insert random controllers into each production run of the drives, wouldn't put it past them...

--
max
I'm using the 64 GB Ultra with the homeworx (5.3 firmware) and so far it has been flawless. I've time-shifted in short batches with no issues (but I only have 720p stations with a max of 6 GB/hour). My big test was going to be yesterday time-shifting football for 3 hours to match up with the radio broadcast -- but unfortunately I forgot I had a concert to attend Saturday evening and was travelling back home during the broadcast on Sunday. So the big 3 hour timeshift test will now happen next Sunday. :-)
post #2454 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:

--
max
Well my live tv is from Atlanta so yes all would be 1080 more then likely, though on v5.3 it doesn't tell you the res of the station.
post #2455 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Your NBC, CBS, CW and PBS are 1080i (although with subchannels for each - so not full bandwidth). ABC and Fox are 720p (as they are nationwide) with subchannels. I believe Max's 1080i test is near full bandwidth so it was a good benchmark for other market's possible performance. On a sidenote - it looks like you have a number of channels moving to new channels either next year or the year after due to spectrum repacking after the spectrum auction. ABC, PBS, Ion, CW, Peachtree, the shopping channels, the 32's, Univision, the 40's, Telemundo, ETV, and TBN are all tapped to move frequencies due to the repack.

Last edited by eherberg; 09-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #2456 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Your NBC, CBS, CW and PBS are 1080i (although with subchannels for each - so not full bandwidth). ABC and Fox are 720p (as they are nationwide) with subchannels. I believe Max's 1080i test is near full bandwidth so it was a good benchmark for other market's possible performance. On a sidenote - it looks like you have a number of channels moving to new channels either next year or the year after due to spectrum repacking after the spectrum auction. ABC, PBS, Ion, CW, Peachtree, the shopping channels, the 32's, Univision, the 40's, Telemundo, ETV, and TBN are all tapped to move frequencies due to the repack.
Yeah everything here has subs on it.

Good to know about the repacking, am surprised that nbc isn't changing as thats still VHF. Sounds like a huge mess for the rest of them. I wonder if it will end up better or worse for me after the changes. The only one of those that is even remotely weak would be the 32's i think thats only like 10k broadcast
post #2457 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well my live tv is from Atlanta so yes all would be 1080 more then likely, though on v5.3 it doesn't tell you the res of the station.
5.4 might, although last I checked, it was still beta. That was a while ago though; don't know if Mediasonic has released it for general use yet.

BTW, you can find a lot more info about your local Atlanta stations, including resolution, subchannels, bandwidth, and who's moving where during repacking, here: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=10
post #2458 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
5.4 might, although last I checked, it was still beta. That was a while ago though; don't know if Mediasonic has released it for general use yet.

BTW, you can find a lot more info about your local Atlanta stations, including resolution, subchannels, bandwidth, and who's moving where during repacking, here: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=10
If I recall properly I will not be loading 5.4 as it breaks cc on playback

Last edited by Skitz1967; 09-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
post #2459 of 2812 Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bugs like that are common in beta software, but I was hoping Mediasonic would have fixed CC before a general release. Edit: I guess not. Found this brief comment on Mediasonic's forum:
Quote:
V5.4 Pre-released in 12 hour format.
I take "pre-released" to mean it's still the beta version, so it would still have the CC bug.

Back to flash drives:
Quote:

--
max
Found it, finally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by felf View Post
For what it's worth I bought and have been using a 16 GB version of the SD Ultra to record OTA HD TV as I was interested in the idea that a lessor memory capacity might negatively affect the recording ability but so far the reproduction has been flawless to my eyes. And it cost < $10.
So, bottom line: the 16GB Ultra is probably OK up to 720p, but for 1080i you probably need a 32GB or larger Ultra.

I use both flash drives and true HDDs. The HDD model I use most is a Samsung 500GB portable USB 3.0 drive. (Of course with the iView/HomeWorX, a USB 2.0 drive would work just as well.) It's been a great drive for storing series that I like to watch, especially old SD series ripped from DVDs. One HDD is a whole lot more convenient than changing DVDs every few episodes! But the smaller flash drives are better for time-shifting and convenient for carrying videos around.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-18-2017 at 07:55 PM.
post #2460 of 2812 Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Bugs like that are common in beta software, but I was hoping Mediasonic would have fixed CC before a general release. Edit: I guess not. Found this brief comment on Mediasonic's forum:I take "pre-released" to mean it's still the beta version, so it would still have the CC bug.

Back to flash drives:Found it, finally:So, bottom line: the 16GB Ultra is probably OK up to 720p, but for 1080i you probably need a 32GB or larger Ultra.

I use both flash drives and true HDDs. The HDD model I use most is a Samsung 500GB portable USB 3.0 drive. (Of course with the iView/HomeWorX, a USB 2.0 drive would work just as well.) It's been a great drive for storing series that I like to watch, especially old SD series ripped from DVDs. One HDD is a whole lot more convenient than changing DVDs every few episodes! But the smaller flash drives are better for time-shifting and convenient for carrying videos around.

Tried a little additional testing. Originally was testing on cw which is 1080i with only one subchannel. Tried last night to test on comet (32.6) as it plays older stuff I assume its 720 or less, more then likely sd. While it did work I had other issues. ONLY when using the thumbdrive I found that chaseplay would "drop out"

Aka pause for like 10-15 min, hit play and watch tv till commercial comes up again then go to 32x to get through commercials when i hit play again to start the show again 1 in 3 times or so it would go back to live tv. If I hit play a second time will go back into chase play but all the way back at the beginning. I thought I just hit the wrong button or something when this first happened, however, I put the hard drive setup back in place and the dropping out of chaseplay has never happened again.

I can do additional testing if this would help someone else but for me thumbdrives on the 150 just aren't reliable at all, and the hard drive setup is flawless and cheap.

Last edited by Skitz1967; 09-19-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page