Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #2581 of 2834 Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
As the topic seems to have moved here to the newer 180 model I will comment on my brand new HW-150PVR I received yesterday. I saw both units for sale and didn’t consult the forum before ordering and bought this one because I needed the extra outputs the 180 lacks because of my old audio setup and receiver.
There is a separate thread for the HW-180 (here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...hw-180stb.html) but most folks don't even know about it, let alone use it. It only has 85 replies!

I too have the HW-150. But the HW-130, HW-150, and HW-180 are so similar, they don't really need separate threads, so all three models get discussed here. So don't let the posts about the HW-180 intimidate you!
bud16415 and bluesky604 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2834 Old 03-03-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Thanks @JHBrandt .

I bought a 1TB Seagate drive yesterday about 50 bucks and just plugged it in and was up and running. After playing for a half hour and figuring out 90% I read the manual and got the rest. The HW-150 works as advertised.

I’m sure I will get used to it the on screen menus could be polished up a little they look a little 1990-ish but do the job.

With using it with my projector I added a small monitor so I can program it without firing the projector. Nice little OTA package.

I did have a question, and I haven’t tried it yet. Is there a way to unplug the drive and take it with me to view recorded content on my laptop computer?

Bud
post #2583 of 2834 Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @JHBrandt .

Is there a way to unplug the drive and take it with me to view recorded content on my laptop computer?
Yes:

1. Unplug the drive. (Make sure the HW-150 isn't recording first!)
  2. Plug it into your laptop.
  3. Start your favorite video player and choose the "Open File" option.
  4. Navigate to the HBPVR folder on your drive.
  5. Pick any of the .mts files to play. (Ignore the small, 6KB, .mts.meta files.)

Note that with Windows, you may not see the file extensions depending on how you've set it up. So the .mts files may appear with no extension, and the .mts.meta files may appear with only the .mts visible, since everything after the final . may not be shown.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2834 Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@jhb rant Just tried it and it works great. The files are easy to spot they are the big ones.

Bud
post #2585 of 2834 Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks @JHBrandt .

I bought a 1TB Seagate drive yesterday about 50 bucks and just plugged it in and was up and running. After playing for a half hour and figuring out 90% I read the manual and got the rest. The HW-150 works as advertised.

I’m sure I will get used to it the on screen menus could be polished up a little they look a little 1990-ish but do the job.

With using it with my projector I added a small monitor so I can program it without firing the projector. Nice little OTA package.

I did have a question, and I haven’t tried it yet. Is there a way to unplug the drive and take it with me to view recorded content on my laptop computer?
Yes, it can be played back on Computer.
bud16415 likes this.
post #2586 of 2834 Old 03-07-2018, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
is the 130 still a 7802 chip?
Yes, use the Same chipset.
post #2587 of 2834 Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@JHBrandt sent u another present.... Currently untested even by mediasonic but received directly from them. Let me know what you think/find please
post #2588 of 2834 Old 03-11-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

V5.5.1: A longstanding bug finally fixed, another still a problem

I've just started to test HW-150 firmware version 5.5.1, and it looks like a bug that's been around for five years has finally been fixed. I call it the "midnight scheduling bug" or sometimes the "second midnight bug" (because there was another bug related to midnight that was fixed long ago).

Here's how it works: Schedule a weekly recording for some time today. Now try to schedule another weekly recording that starts today but ends tomorrow. Most of these boxes will reject the second weekly recording, saying "This schedule is conflict [sic] with Eventnn," even though the two events don't overlap at all. (If you schedule the same two recordings in reverse order, i.e., schedule the one that ends tomorrow first, it works fine.)

But V5.5.1 works correctly, letting you schedule both events in either order. FINALLY! Folks have literally been complaining about this bug for years.

Unfortunately, one serious bug, the "channel rescan bug," remains. This is a problem because it makes it impossible to record certain channels (e.g., Ion) reliably. Those channels may (or may not - it's seemingly random, except the longer it's been since you tuned in last, the more likely it is to happen) rescan the next time you tune to them, losing any customized names, favorites, upcoming recordings, or skipped channels, and bringing back any deleted channels, on the same signal. So if reliable recordings are critical, I still recommend the iVIEW firmware (version 20160923V5.0, along with an iVIEW remote, of course) I mentioned several posts ago.

Other observations: CCs during playback still work. (I check that first, since the developers have broken it before. For example, with the iVIEW firmware mentioned above, turning CCs on during playback may work, or may lock up the box!) Boot-up time (on my iView 3200 since I don't have a compatible HW-150 to test with) was a respectable 15 seconds from pressing the "On" button to video appearing.

One (very minor) difference between HomeWorx and iVIEW firmware I didn't notice before: iVIEW eliminated the largely useless "Power On/Off" schedule when they added the 12-hour time option. HomeWorx kept it; instead, they eliminated the almost-as-useless manual time zone setting, which lets you select your time zone relative to GMT, rather than by name (Pacific, Mountain, Central, etc.)

I'll do more testing later, but for now I'd say V5.5.1 isn't quite there yet, but it's getting pretty close! Now, if only we could combine the HomeWorx and iVIEW fixes, we'd be just about perfect.
rdwalt likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #2589 of 2834 Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 106
@TampBayOTA : Moving response here from Stream+ due it being mstar-specific. Plus - I don't want to help derail another thread topic. :-)

Quote:
OK... avidemux is Linux compatible. So at least this is a start in the right directon. comskip is a no go winslopper, don't have, don't want.

If I could take the daily bunch of stuff I record, and then nuke infuriating ads, and then move to my storage array, I could play them back on my main box. I use a little Android box I got for $30 to playback stuff via VLC. All my other stuff is automated downloads.

I take it you are doing sneakerNet to get the files since none of the mStar boxes I've seen have LAN ports for Samba access.

Since I don't really use video tools, this is a manual review process to find the ads?????? Hmmm.. yeah... that probably wouldn't work.....but I still would love a run down on the process... Like I said video editing with all these tools was never my thing....
Yes -- it is a manual process. Again, this doesn't scale well to a lot of recordings (and probably doesn't apply to your needs). In fact, right now there isn't much recording going on at my house. In my new place, it is even more remote than my previous one. So until the 4 feet of snow melts away and summer rolls in, my current antenna doesn't cut it except for a single station. I'm going to have to put up a much beefier antenna this summer to get back what I lost as well as have a chance at some Canadian stations. So I don't even have the network tuner really hooked up yet -- and the Homeworx does not even have it's full load of her stuff that I used to record (not until summer, anyway). But prior to that - the below is what I did for her shows.

No sneakerNet. I'm only doing this with my wife's shows that are recorded on the mstar box. So 2-3 times a week, I simply pop the drive out -- move recordings over to the computer -- and use AviDemux to remove the commercials. As I'm pretty familiar with the commercial patterns for her shows, it rarely takes me more than 2 minutes to cut the commercials. I load up a file taken from the homeworx -- move the preview slider to the first commercial break -- mark it with the 'A' button -- move the slider to the end of the commercial break -- mark the point with the 'B' button (making sure that I'm on an I-frame to avoid video glitches) and click 'remove'. Advance to the next commercial break -- repeat. Oh -- because sometimes I get stuff at the front of the recording that isn't her show (due to the wildly varying PSIP time info provided by the station). I find the first reference frame at the start of her show and use the 'B' marker to take everything out prior to the reference frame. Same with the end of the show. Find the last reference frame at the end of her show and set the 'A' marker to take out everything recorded that is 'not-show' at the end of the recording. Save the new edited file as mkv (with no conversion -- Plex or handbrake can slog away on that unattended). And then open the next file. As mentioned - it takes me only a couple of minutes per file -- but I only do it for her shows. I would never scale this up to all recordings (which are fewer these days even before we moved to our new even-more-remote home). Since nearly all TV viewing is done through Plex now (having moved on from TiVo) - I really only do this with her shows due to the way she watches her daily shows on the weekend. Converted to SD for greater response time while she sits on the fast-forward button until she sees a segment she wants to watch.

So -- nothing fancy. No sneakerNet ... no big network automated comskip process. Just manual copy -- manual removal -- and I can get all of shows into Plex where she wants them, commercial-removed and down-rezzed for quick streaming and responsiveness, in just a few minutes a couple of times per week.

Even when we started transitioning away from TiVo - it wasn't much different. When her shows were still being recorded on the TiVo, the whole family given the choice of TiVo or Plex was naturally moving to Plex. Prior to our retiring of the TiVo from our recording lives, I would do a similar process for her shows once the preference for Plex was known. I would transfer them over the network to the computer -- and then the same process. Although it wasn't that long ago, I wasn't all that big on pulling drives and manually transferring files initially. I thought such an 'old-school' manual process was beneath me in a world of networked wireless components. However, I have found for her daily shows, it actually saves me time to do it on the Homeworx. Previously when the TiVo was still recording shows at our house, it would take approx 10 minutes per file transfer wirelessly (crappy Roamio basic Wi-Fi). Yes - I could start the transfers and walk away. However, when I lowered myself to (gasp) actually pulling the drive out of the Homeworx - I could transfer a whole week of her stuff to the PC in just a couple of minutes and start right away with removing commercials. Such a lowly, low-tech process did save me some time on the whole start-to-finish.
post #2590 of 2834 Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought that's what SneakerNet was - manually moving recording media (floppies in the old days; thumb drives or portable HDDs nowadays) from one device to another (presumably while wearing sneakers)!

Even in these days of gigabit Ethernet, it's still a pretty fast way to move large amounts of data quickly.
CANNON-FODDER likes this.
post #2591 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just noticed this forum today and hope that someone can help me out here

I actually have 3 of these types of recorders that I use with external hard drive to record HDTV.

I noticed today they are not working right. In one of my rooms I used a different Antenna yesterday and recorded a few shows. It recorded but then I wanted to go back to my previous antenna since it seemed better

when I hooked up the orig antenna, the unit cannot find any channels and takes a long time without finding anything and then goes back to configuration page. It keeps going in this loop every time I try to start it again.

I have never seen this before and I already reset the box a couple times

This is upstairs near a bedroom window where the signal is pretty good

Does anyone know why this would be happening ? I am noticing with 2 of them. The 3rd is in another room and I am recording something as I write this

when I noticed the first one doing that, after switching back the antennas, I put in another one that doesn't get much use from another room and that one is also doing that

I have also put a monitor in a different room upstairs and both those units are still doing that and I have tried a couple different antennas

Does anyone have any suggestions on this ?
post #2592 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounds like the HomeWorxes aren't getting any signal from that cable. That may be something simple, such as:

• The antenna cable is hooked to the wrong connector (should be hooked to RF In, not RF Out)
  • The antenna cable broke when you changed antennas

It's very unlikely that two HomeWorxes failed at the same time, just because you switched antennas.
post #2593 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I'm noticing that Amazon now only carries refurbished 150's and NewEgg seems to be slashing the price.

It looks like they may be discontinuing that model and firmware v5.5.1 might be the last.
That said, it still seems that of all the Homeworx versions, the 150 is still the best since it is the only(?) model that has Dolby 5.1. The component out MIGHT be considered a bonus as well.

Considering the prices, and what looks like dwindling stock, I'm considering trying again.

My desire is STILL to have captions during chase play (or whichever one it is when you are playing a timed recording while it's happening) and during regular playback of previously recorded shows. Unfortunately, it appears as though none of these devices have those ability, so I'll just have to live without it. (Native resolution would ALSO be nice.)

Anyone have a better recommendation or is the 150 still the top dog?
I don't follow iView much, but they seem less customer service-y.
Stream+ still seems less than useful and the recordings require SD cards (which is stupid) and are encrypted and non-portable. Two big strikes.

Edit:
Quote:
Thanks @JHBrandt .

Did you buy the STEA1000400? I see it listed as a featured item on NewEgg. Have you had any problems with the amount of power it draws from the USB port? Any issues playing while recording, FF/REW-ing, etc?
I'm leaning towards something WD though like the My Passport which is $47 at NewEgg.

Last edited by DoctorM; 03-16-2018 at 04:32 PM.
post #2594 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

What are the best Indoor Antenna's people have had experience with

In looking at my antenna and cable after disconnecting, I don't see anything that is broken and I have disconnected these same antennas from TV's and used them on other TV's etc and they worked

seems like I have had now 3 examples of disconnecting antennas from these boxes and then the antenna no longer works

I had one of those folder thin amplified antennas that worked great and would show the red light for the amplifier and I have had 2 of those go bad after disconnecting from these boxes. Will not show red light for amplifier, which means you won't get anything

I also was using a very small non amplified rabbit ears antenna that was taped to a window in a bedroom. I have used that one at least 300 times and it was working

now that one no longer works after disconnecting from these boxes. It is still taped to the same window but I don't get any signal when I try to use it now

I supposed I could try it on some other TV in the house to test but this is strange coincidence that that I have had 3 examples of this happening with these boxes
post #2595 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@DoctorM

The one I bought was from Wal-Mart STDR1000100 1TB

No problem with it at all so far. Only used it a hand full of times so far.
DoctorM likes this.

Bud
post #2596 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@detroit1

I don’t see how the box could harm an antenna especially a straight non amplified one.
DoctorM likes this.

Bud
post #2597 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@DoctorM ,

Main thing with iView is you'd be relying much more on the iView thread here for info/fixes. iView does update their firmware from time to time, but they just post their firmware to their web site. And newer isn't necessarily better - updates often introduce new problems. When new versions come out, I usually download and test them and post on the thread if I find any issues.

The 3500 is similar to the HW-150 with component video and coaxial digital audio; the 3200 is more like the HW-130 or HW-180. The 3500 has a decent remote; the 3200 has a tiny remote, again similar to the HW-130 and HW-180 remotes.

However, the 3500 has that numeric display that some folks find annoying. It displays an internal channel number (not the actual channel/subchannel you're used to seeing.) The 3200 has no front panel display or buttons at all (you must use the remote for every function, including power).

You can cross-flash iView 3200 and 3500 firmware, HW-150 V5.x firmware, and HW-180 V11.x firmware onto each other's boxes. Of course, you must then use the remote control appropriate for the new firmware. The HW-150 and HW-180 use different remote codes. iView uses the same remote codes for both the 3200 and 3500, but they differ from both HW remotes.

So your best strategy is probably to buy the box with the features you want, then buy the remote for the firmware you intend to use. You could buy an HW-150 now, then if iView one day comes out with firmware that handles CCs better, you could buy an iView 3500 remote and put iView's firmware on your HW-150.
post #2598 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@detroit1

I don’t see how the box could harm an antenna especially a straight non amplified one.
It is possible with an iView, but not a HomeWorx. iView has an "antenna power" option that could theoretically do bad things to an antenna that doesn't like 5V on is RF output.
bud16415 likes this.
post #2599 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

where is the antenna power option that you are referring to ?

I also think the iview model I have could have ruined the antennas even though I removed them the normal way

I have 1 iview model and 2 of the same homeworx models
post #2600 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Menu / Channel Search / Antenna Power. Should be set "Off" unless you know what you're doing.

BTW, it's not possible to ruin an unamplified antenna, because there are no electronics to ruin! But it is possible to ruin the amp in an amplified antenna.

The "best" indoor antenna depends on your situation and what you can find. For unamplified antennas, I used to like the Terk HDTVi, but it's no longer made. The amplified version, the HDTVa, is still made, but I'm suspicious of its amplifier, and I don't think the amp can be removed.

IMO the best amplified indoor antenna used to be Winegard's SS-3000, but it's no longer made either. CM is marketing a new amplified antenna called the SMARTenna, but it's too new to know how good it is yet. (It does seem to have a good amp though.)
post #2601 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have channel search/antenna power on my STB180 Homeworx

all it shows there is air or cable

I am convinced now that these boxes are ruining the power antennas for sure

I also am puzzled that a non powered antenna that was working fine for a long time now will not get any channels even though it is in the same exact spot on a window in an upstairs bedroom
post #2602 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's on the iView, not the HomeWorxes.
post #2603 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
I also am puzzled that a non powered antenna that was working fine for a long time now will not get any channels even though it is in the same exact spot on a window in an upstairs bedroom
Are the trees in your neighborhood turning green?
post #2604 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I checked my iview and no antenna power option. Only Air/Cable
post #2605 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hate to ask at this point, but what is the firmware version on your iView? (Menu / System / Information)

I have to admit I haven't checked every iView firmware version for that option. It's possible they've removed it recently.

What about the trees?
post #2606 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

I also forgot to ask everyone if they have the issue of these units not showing the correct time after we change the clocks twice a year

I noticed that every time. I have the change the dst setting to show the right time. If I leave it on that setting, it won't show the correct time the next time we change clocks

Has anyone else seen this ?
post #2607 of 2834 Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I've seen it. The DST setting doesn't work as you'd expect. You have to turn it on manually when DST starts, then turn it off manually when DST ends. You can't just turn it on and leave it on year round like most devices.

Big PITA, I admit; although it might come in handy for Florida soon
post #2608 of 2834 Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know JHBrandt was talking about using a Cable Matters Wifi enabled HDD Dock with mixed results.

I noticed that there is also one from Vantec (currently about $42 on NewEgg with a coupon code) (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817392058)
Vantec is at least a brand I've heard of, has anyone tested this with any success?

Edit: Hmm. I noticed on of the reviews mentions it sets up its own network, it doesn't join your existing home network. That's a bit of a disappointment.

Btw, has anyone seen the discussion on the DVR+ thread about the custom Whole Home Solution someone built? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post35165754

Last edited by DoctorM; 03-22-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #2609 of 2834 Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I know JHBrandt was talking about using a Cable Matters Wifi enabled HDD Dock with mixed results.

I noticed that there is also one from Vantec (currently about $42 on NewEgg with a coupon code) (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817392058)
Vantec is at least a brand I've heard of, has anyone tested this with any success?

Edit: Hmm. I noticed on of the reviews mentions it sets up its own network, it doesn't join your existing home network. That's a bit of a disappointment.
That was a nice feature of the Cable Matters dock - has an Ethernet jack to join your existing network. But as you mentioned, I had inexplicable trouble getting it to work, except when using one particular hub that I'd bought at Fry's between it and the HW.

I finally located that same hub online and have been meaning to test it again. But the HDD I was using went out, so I need to set up another HDD first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Btw, has anyone seen the discussion on the DVR+ thread about the custom Whole Home Solution someone built? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post35165754
I remember that! It always intrigued me. I always thought a similar setup should work for the HomeWorx, and would be more user-friendly too, since the HomeWorx uses file names with at least channel, date, & time in the recording file name. But it looked hard to set up.
DoctorM likes this.
post #2610 of 2834 Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From the questions asked and answered it looks like Vantec's dock creates it's own network, so my android TVs would likely have to disconnect from our home network to connect to it. Worse is the Vantec app is listed as not supported on those TVs, so it may not work at all. Additionally, comments say that more than one device can't use the drive at a time.

The Cable Matters dock doesn't seem to have some of those issues, but of course it has other ones.

There are network and wifi enabled external drive enclosures available, but that seems like a crap shoot as well. Cloud drives uniformly have bad reviews regardless of manufacturer, so that technology apparently still needs work.

I assume there is no way to connect one of these to an NAS drive, which would have been great.

Of course portable external HDDs are best for these boxes in general, I'm really trying to find a way to make this more whole-home-friendly. I just keep researching and holding off buying a drive until I know what the best answer is for me. If such a thing exists.

@JHBrandt : What might make the difference in the hubs could be if the power from the PVR is being passed to the drive dock. That is, if the dock receives power, it assumes the USB line is active. Some hubs may cut power when there is no activity.

Last edited by DoctorM; 03-22-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page