Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 138Likes

post #2761 of 2804 Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
What you might do is, set your universal remote up for an iView temporarily, just to make sure it doesn't interfere with your sound bar or anything else. If it doesn't, you'll know you can load the iView code onto the HW-150 and not have any problems with remote interference.

Sounds like you're using your HW-150 pretty much like eherberg was. One really nice thing about HomeWorX, iView, and the others is how easy it is to offload recordings to a PC: just plug in the drive and go. Many other DVRs make this step a hassle at best (DVR+) and completely impractical at worst (AirTV, CM-7000Pal, CM-7004, Recast, etc.)

I'm curious about your Plex setup. I assume that you have streaming devices at your TVs that stream the recordings from the Plex server. Is that right? If so, what devices do you use (Roku, Fire TV, Android, "smart" TVs, etc.)?

With the HDHR, I think there are many ways to set it up. If you have a Plex Pass, I think you can just record directly from the HDHR onto your Plex server. That would be very simple. A Plex Pass is more expensive than SD's DVR software, but Plex does offer a one-time "lifetime" subscription.
mdbratch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2804 Old 01-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set this 180 up. I'm surprised at how much better it looks than my Accurian. Crystal clear signal for OTA football! Recording looks great as well. I'm very impressed. No rack mount kit?

Philip Hamm
post #2763 of 2804 Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post
I just set this 180 up. I'm surprised at how much better it looks than my Accurian. Crystal clear signal for OTA football! Recording looks great as well. I'm very impressed. No rack mount kit?

Right? Congrats. Hope it continues to work well

Mine works great too. So much so, I bought another just to have on hand.
I think other people have an older version. Mine is v13.1 and has none of the problems others are having. Maybe they finally ironed out the bugs.

There are no provisions for rack mount, but it could possibly be designed and made if you have a 3D printer.

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 01-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2804 Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
If you have an SD tuner and already have a Plex server - have you considered Plex DVR?
I have definitely considered it. The cheapskate in me doesn't want to even pay the $5/month subscription to get basic Plex DVR.

I received my replacement HW-150PVR. It has firmware version 6.0. One thing I noticed right away is that the remote control works much better than my old one. With my old one I had to press a remote button sometimes multiple times to get it to register. This new one works spot on. I've started some recording tests. So far, so good. It's been doing complete recordings on channels I couldn't record recently with my old one.

So I think I'm off and running again...
post #2765 of 2804 Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
What you might do is, set your universal remote up for an iView temporarily, just to make sure it doesn't interfere with your sound bar or anything else. If it doesn't, you'll know you can load the iView code onto the HW-150 and not have any problems with remote interference.
That's a great idea! I shall try that.

Quote:
Sounds like you're using your HW-150 pretty much like eherberg was. One really nice thing about HomeWorX, iView, and the others is how easy it is to offload recordings to a PC: just plug in the drive and go. Many other DVRs make this step a hassle at best (DVR+) and completely impractical at worst (AirTV, CM-7000Pal, CM-7004, Recast, etc.)
Yes, it's a manual step but not much trouble. Before I started using the Plex app I was using a Roku media player that did not understand mts format. But I would just run a free Linux converter on the mts to create mp4. A simple step.

Quote:
I'm curious about your Plex setup. I assume that you have streaming devices at your TVs that stream the recordings from the Plex server. Is that right? If so, what devices do you use (Roku, Fire TV, Android, "smart" TVs, etc.)?
I have a Roku on each TV. Well, all but one. One is a smart TV and it has a Plex app built in.

Quote:
With the HDHR, I think there are many ways to set it up. If you have a Plex Pass, I think you can just record directly from the HDHR onto your Plex server. That would be very simple. A Plex Pass is more expensive than SD's DVR software, but Plex does offer a one-time "lifetime" subscription.
Yeah I was looking at Plex pass. If I get fed up with the HW-150PVR again, I may go that route. It's minimally $5/month, which isn't too bad. But the cheapskate in me continues to seek the low fixed price option.
post #2766 of 2804 Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it doesn't, you'll know you can load the iView code onto the HW-150 and not have any problems with remote interference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbratch View Post
I received my replacement HW-150PVR. It has firmware version 6.0.
Uh-oh - before you think about trying iView firmware, could you post the contents of its System / Information screen? V6.0 is brand-new and I don't know if the hardware is still compatible with iView's firmware.

Also you'll need to get a copy of V6.0 from Mediasonic in case you need to switch back. I don't see an upgrade (e.g., 6.1) announced on the Mediasonic forum yet, and I haven't seen any new iView firmware since 2017.
post #2767 of 2804 Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleMeNot View Post
I think other people have an older version. Mine is v13.1 and has none of the problems others are having. Maybe they finally ironed out the bugs.
Sounds like they skipped v12. The last version I knew about was v11.3 (equivalent to v5.3 for the HW-150).

I doubt they got all the bugs - there were quite a few - but as I mentioned when reviewing v5.5.1 (for the HW-150), it's the first version to squash the "midnight scheduling bug" so they probably got that one.

Iview finally got the "channel rescan bug" in late 2015 - if Mediasonic finally got that fix into v13.1, they may have the least buggy firmware on the market at this point.

I'm glad Mediasonic is still getting their firmware worked on. Iview's had finally gotten decent, but they seem to have pretty much given up.
Quote:
There are no provisions for rack mount, but it could possibly be designed and made if you have a 3D printer.
A 3D printer seems like overkill for a rack mount. Don't they have "generic" rack mounts where all you need to do is drill/saw out holes in the right places? With a few extension cables for the back, you'd have it made.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-08-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #2768 of 2804 Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Uh-oh - before you think about trying iView firmware, could you post the contents of its System / Information screen? V6.0 is brand-new and I don't know if the hardware is still compatible with iView's firmware.

Also you'll need to get a copy of V6.0 from Mediasonic in case you need to switch back. I don't see an upgrade (e.g., 6.1) announced on the Mediasonic forum yet, and I haven't seen any new iView firmware since 2017.
I just received a new HW150-PVR that had v6.0 on it, I emailed them and they provided me with a 6.1 update for the box as a heads up.

No release notes provided, just the .BIN file.

It is recommended that you email them your current HW/SW version and SN to ensure you receive the proper update file for your unit.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2769 of 2804 Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Failure is often from heat (like most electronic devices). I found that adding a 5V cooling fan or removing the top cover can lower operating temps significantly as measured with a laser thermometer and should extend the life of the device considerably.
I also added a cooling fan to one of my older HW-150s. The 150 case is big enough (and the actual electronics small enough) that there's room to bolt a small fan to the ventilation slots on the top. I also got the smallest USB hub I could find and mounted it inside too, to provide an extra USB port to plug the fan into. (On this old model, the USB port was just glued to the front panel with hot glue and could be pulled off easily and fed to the hub. This isn't really possible with the newer HW-150 models though.)

The only problem with that setup is, it didn't leave enough current to operate most USB-powered HDDs. (The HW-150's USB port only provides 800mA - not much more than the 500mA the USB 2.0 standard requires - so with a fan, your available current is really limited.) Luckily, flash drives work fine (as long as they're fast enough for HD recording) as do externally-powered HDDs and docks.
post #2770 of 2804 Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I myself use 2-3 of these Homeworx boxes

I wanted to ask here if anyone has found any boxes with 2 tuners so you can record 2 shows at the same time
post #2771 of 2804 Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Just wanted to 'bump' this. It would be helpful if either of the 6.0 folks posted system/info screen entries to see if anything changed. :-)
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2772 of 2804 Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hw 150 pvr

Hi all,
I had two HW150s lost one when a hurricane demolished the boat it was on.
The second is in our home. I had it a long time before I noticed the HDMI connector does not work,
just nothing out. And the audio is very low, need to crank the TV to max to listen which is OK until you

go to another signal, then you get blasted out.

Third is the by pass to watch something else while recording, I've read the manual, but I can't see that this works.
If the HDMI worked this wouldn't matter.
I bought this in Oct 2017 Are any of these fixed by an update. I have never updated.

BTW, I'm about to buy a new PVR, my wife is the main user, she know how to use this,
should I buy another or has the group decided there is another low cost PVR to buy?
I'm happy using the SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46

for storage, but my wife wants all her exersice tapes transfered from VCR tapes to digital, so I see my self
buying a second SscanDisk thumbdrive just for that, If I had a harddrive, I would not need to do this.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Mikek
post #2773 of 2804 Old 01-12-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I noticed the HDMI connector does not work, just nothing out.
You'll need to replace it to fix that. Note that if you have a 4K TV, the Homeworx's HDMI may not be compatible with it.
Quote:
And the audio is very low, need to crank the TV to max to listen which is OK until you go to another signal, then you get blasted out.
If you get blasted out, obviously not all your signals have low volume! So that could be a problem with that one station. Hard to say.
Quote:
Third is the bypass to watch something else while recording. I've read the manual, but I can't see that this works.
You're talking about "loop through?" It does work, but not very well: First, you have to be using something other than RF to watch the Homeworx. Since your HDMI doesn't work, are you using component or composite A/V cables to hook your Homeworx to your TV? If you only have an RF coax cable connecting your HomeWorx to your TV, and you're tuning your TV to channel 3 or 4 to watch the HomeWorx, loop through won't help you at all.

Second, the way to use loop through is to switch your TV to its RF input, and use the TV's tuner to watch another station. But the Homeworx often degrades the signals being looped through, so it's usually better to use a cheap RF signal splitter instead of the loop-through function. Just split the signal from your antenna and feed one input to the TV and the other to the Homeworx.
Quote:
I have never updated.
You need to tell us what firmware version your box came with. We can't tell just by knowing when you bought it. It could've been sitting in the warehouse for months. Go to Menu / System / Information and post the SW Version string listed here.
Quote:
BTW, I'm about to buy a new PVR; my wife is the main user; she knows how to use this; should I buy another or has the group decided there is another low cost PVR to buy?
Any of the Homeworx models should do fine. So would an iVIEW. They all have HDMI outputs and all work very similarly.
Quote:
... my wife wants all her exercise tapes transferred from VCR tapes to digital ....
The Homeworx and iVIEW boxes won't do that. You'll need something with a composite input and an A/D converter, like a DVD recorder, or a video capture card for a PC, to pull that off.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.
post #2774 of 2804 Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM

I don't have an HW150. Only HW180.

They're very similar but have different remotes, different connections, different firmware a different housing and different menus
(I had started a thread specifically for the 180 to avoid confusion but apparently it was deleted, so now everyone has to specify which one they have in every post)

As far as the added cooling fan power, I think any extra cooling is a good thing. I have a 3ft USB cable on the fan and run it to a nearby device with 'always on' USB powered ports.
Considering a small rig with a micro relay so that the fan comes on automatically every time the HW180 is powered up. Should be easy to do and won't put any load or drain on the MediaSonic box. Just a tap for voltage sensing basically.

As I've mentioned before, the main processor can get very hot during video processing. I suspect it's probably the main cause of failure.
post #2775 of 2804 Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The HW-180 thread is still there, including all your posts: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-new-post.html

There were two HW-180 threads so I asked the moderators to merge them. Looks like they used the name of the older thread for the merged one; that may be why it looked like it was deleted.
Quote:
As far as the added cooling fan power, I think any extra cooling is a good thing. I have a 3ft USB cable on the fan and run it to a nearby device with 'always on' USB powered ports.
That's a reasonable way to avoid losing power on the HomeWorx's USB port, as long as you have a spare port nearby.
Quote:
Considering a small rig with a micro relay so that the fan comes on automatically every time the HW180 is powered up. Should be easy to do and won't put any load or drain on the MediaSonic box. Just a tap for voltage sensing basically.
That might work. Even a relay will draw some power, but probably not as much as a fan (even a small one). Let us know how it goes.
Quote:
As I've mentioned before, the main processor can get very hot during video processing. I suspect it's probably the main cause of failure.
It may be what caused one of my older HW-150s (with the 7816 processor) to fail. (I'll never know for sure since I threw it away long ago.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #2776 of 2804 Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Ah...ok. Thanks. I'll look at the link.

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 01-18-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #2777 of 2804 Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just click on it
post #2778 of 2804 Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
The Homeworx and iVIEW boxes won't do that. You'll need something with a composite input and an A/D converter, like a DVD recorder, or a video capture card for a PC, to pull that off.
They make (used to?) dual VCR/DVD combos that could do that, but I used the AVerMedia Volar Max USB dongle with cable, composite, and (I think) S-Video inputs and associated recording software on my PC. It was about 15 years ago, but I had a system (LOTS of tapes) of just letting the tape run and recording the whole thing, then editing as needed. The rare copy-protected tapes won't work, all home recordings are fine and easy.

And the thing allows you to watch TV and record digital programs using something like Windows Media Center (RIP, long live WMC) on your PC...when using the PC lightly, I used to always have a TV window about 1/6th screen in the lower right-hand corner...Happague and others make (made?) similar products...

--
max
post #2779 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:

I'm quite happy with V6.0 so far, so I have no intention of loading iView firmware at this point. Although I might email Mediasonic to get V6.1 just because...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HW150PVR.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2513256  

Last edited by mdbratch; 01-19-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #2780 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdmc View Post
I just received a new HW150-PVR that had v6.0 on it, I emailed them and they provided me with a 6.1 update for the box as a heads up.

No release notes provided, just the .BIN file.

It is recommended that you email them your current HW/SW version and SN to ensure you receive the proper update file for your unit.
Did you notice anything different?
post #2781 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Did you notice anything different?

Sadly I updated it within hours of getting it and it is my first box so I am unable to tell what is/was different between 6.0 and 6.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2782 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm -- maybe I'll email to get the latest firmware for the Franken-iView mediasonic box. I can test to see if the 'channel-rescan' bug is still present. If it is - I can always pop my iView firmware back on.
post #2783 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm quite happy with V6.0 so far, so I have no intention of loading iView firmware at this point. Although I might email Mediasonic to get V6.1 just because...
Still nothing about 6.1 posted at the Mediasonic forum update thread: http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1616

From the HW version you posted, it looks like Iview firmware is compatible. But no need to load it, unless you run into the dreaded "channel rescan bug."
post #2784 of 2804 Old 01-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure they do much with that forum anymore. Occasionally I see an update to their proraid stuff -- but no replies on any of the converter boxes. Since the email address they list in that old 2013 firmware thread is a different email address than on the product page - I'm assuming those that got an email back w/firmware got it from the support email on the product page?
post #2785 of 2804 Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm -- maybe I'll email to get the latest firmware for the Franken-iView mediasonic box. I can test to see if the 'channel-rescan' bug is still present. If it is - I can always pop my iView firmware back on.
Heard back from Mediasonic. Apparently the rescan-bug is a 'feature'. :-)

I emailed asking for firmware - doing what I thought was a decent job of describing the bug and explaining that I previously had the 5.3 version of firmware and admitted that I had flashed iView firmware on the box with the bug now being gone. I asked for the newest firmware with the intention of testing for the presence of the bug.

The response I got back was:

Quote:
1. V6.1 is for hardware V6 only. We don't recommend to flash it on a V5.x.

2. To maintain good picture quality, Homeworx will scan background signal(PSIP). If it is weak or discontinued, Homeworx will remove scheduled events, then channel # and name. In the worst, it will remove whole channel.

It happened mostly during winter with severe weather, such as cold temp, heavy wind, rain and/or snow, etc.

Before press standby button, please tune to a channel with no issue. It may help to reduce the problem to minimum.
This was from the [email protected] email address -- not the [email protected] address listed in the 4 year old firmware thread on their forum. I also suspect that there isn't really 'usa-based' support from the 'mediasonicusa' address given the structure of the english. 'Vincent' (the author of the email) may not really understand what I was trying to communicate -- or is not too familiar with the details of the box. I seriously doubt that the hardware has changed on recent shipments of the HW-150 as opposed to older boxes. I'm skeptical of the assertion that the HW150 has either a V5 hardware or a V6 hardware. Since the bug occurs on immediate tuning to the station, it's certainly not due to 'background' scanning.

It's no big thing to me -- as I've mentioned, the Franken-iView has been working without a single hiccup since flashing it. It would have been nice to test for the bug with newer Mediasonic firmware as I have a station where I know it occurs - but as I don't think they really understand the bug to communicate back to China (or they truly believe it's a 'good' thing) that mystery may go unsolved

Last edited by eherberg; 01-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #2786 of 2804 Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I seriously doubt that the hardware has changed on recent shipments of the HW-150 as opposed to older boxes. I'm skeptical of the assertion that the HW150 has either a V5 hardware or a V6 hardware.
You're probably right. However, that has happened before, so one never knows for sure.

My most recent example is iVIEW, not HomeWorx. There's a run of iVIEW 3500s with serial numbers starting with 1704, that first came to my attention because they had buggy firmware (dated 2017 03 18, not found on iVIEW's web site) and wouldn't accept a firmware update to fix the bugs.

I figured out a way to hack the 2016 09 23 version (I think that's the same version you're using for your Franken-iVIEW) so it would load. Worked fine on my box, but when someone tried it on one of those 1704 boxes, it disabled the tuner!

No problem; the box isn't bricked, so just flash back - oh, wait; did I mention the original firmware for that run of boxes isn't on iVIEW's web site?

I've also had some less serious issues with the HomeWorx boxes. I have an HW-150 with V2.1; version V5.x disables its tuner, as does iVIEW's firmware. At least I have a copy of V2.1 so I can flash back, though.
post #2787 of 2804 Old 01-22-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just a thought - you might PM @mosdmc and ask for a copy.
post #2788 of 2804 Old 01-24-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was reported on the HW-180 thread that V13.0 still has the echo-y HDMI audio bug, reported by @DoctorM over two years ago

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #2789 of 2804 Old 01-29-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This post is for @DoctorM and others interested in DD 5.1.

HW-180 owner JJA has been experiencing the "echo" bug on DD 5.1. He contacted Mediasonic and
Quote:
Originally Posted by J J A View Post
Mediasonic is telling me:
Quote:
HW180STB doesn't officially support 5.1. It is caused by incompatible HDMI and we can't do anything. That's why HW-150PVR equipped with a digital audio out.
The "incompatible HDMI" part is new info, and implies the problem is actually with Mediaonic's HDMI hardware rather than the HW180 specifically. If true that would explain why Mediasonic isn't trying to fix the bug; apparently the only fix would require new HDMI hardware and there's no way to program around it with firmware.

That would also imply that even the HW150 has the echo bug when using HDMI instead of coaxial audio. Has anyone experienced this?
post #2790 of 2804 Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently got a new USB 3.1 stick and on the side started using it for recordings. It worked fine like the others but then I used the flash drive for something else that involved a live OS and a partition. I then reformatted that back to NTFS but noticed 90 MB still "in use". My homeworx didn't detect it when I plugged it in but was able to format it using its own format feature. Also NTFS. I was then able to record stuff normally. I attempted to transfer the files on PC but when I plug in the usb stick now the PC doesn't recognize it and says, "insert drive in drive". I changed the drive letter and that didn't help. This has probably happened many times for users of the MStar boxes that formatted using the DVR itself (for this thread, what keyword to search for other than reformat?). I still want to save the recordings and access the stick and then after do a clean reformat that restores the device back the default factory state removing the former partition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page