TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrted46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am seriously debating getting a TiVo whole house system because of the WAF. Currently I have a PC hooked up to all my TV's but it is not working the flawlessly, it works but there are hiccups. I have FIOS and Quantum is just so damn expensive...so expensive that it makes TiVo looks reasonable.

I am thinking of getting a TiVo Roamio Pro DVR and 5 TiVo Minis to cover 6 TVs in my house and a Tivo Stream. My only fear is spending all this cash and it is not going to work the way I want it.

Are the TiVo mini's good? Any issues with reliability? Can they pause, rewind, FF live TV?

I assume if all 6 TV's are on at the same time, you can only record what each TV is actually playing? Will this become a logistical nightmare or does the Roamio do a good job with this?

Thanks for your time
mrted46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,391
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Yes teh Minis can pause, rewind and fast forward live TV. I currently have four Minis. Two from launch in early 2013. I've had no issues with them so far.

If you might be using all the minis at the same time it would be better to replace one of the Minis with another Romaio Pro, a Roamio Plus or a four tuner Roamio Basic. Because if watching live Tv, each mini will take a tuner and that can seriously cause issues if you want to record something or have recording scheduled. Sp a person might want to wtach a live channel and there will be no tuner available.

I have a Roamio Pro and a Roamio Basic OTA along with my four Minis. But I don't need to worry about all my Minis ever being in use at the same time.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #1413 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
I am thinking of getting a TiVo Roamio Pro DVR and 5 TiVo Minis to cover 6 TVs in my house and a Tivo Stream. My only fear is spending all this cash and it is not going to work the way I want it.
Not good. Too many Mini's. Mini's currently have a huge flaw in their design that I don't know if it will ever be corrected -- when you turn off the TV using the Mini, the Mini does not release the Roamio tuner. Unless you remember to release the tuner by pressing the TiVo button it will hold the tuner for a couple hours. If you have shows set to record on the Roamio and not enough tuners available because the Mini's are holding them, they won't record. You may think you can always remember to release the tuner when done but I guarantee your family members will not.

If you have 6 TV's to cover, you need 2 Roamio's and 4 Mini's. Use one Roamio Pro to serve the Mini's and the other to do your recordings. If you are serving multiple Mini's you want to use Moca and you want to serve them from a 5 or 6-tuner Roamio with built-in Moca to get full Moca speed. The 4-tuner Roamio requires a separate Moca bridge which connects to the TiVo with 100baseT ethernet. That is not fast enough to serve multiple Mini's simultaneously with smooth trickplay -- remember every Mini holding onto a tuner is putting the full load on the network and using bandwidth.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1414 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not good. Too many Mini's. Mini's currently have a huge flaw in their design that I don't know if it will ever be corrected -- when you turn off the TV using the Mini, the Mini does not release the Roamio tuner. Unless you remember to release the tuner by pressing the TiVo button it will hold the tuner for a couple hours. If you have shows set to record on the Roamio and not enough tuners available because the Mini's are holding them, they won't record.
This is FALSE, Recordings on the Roamio take priority over the Mini using a tuner for LiveTV. If a Tuner is needed for a scheduled recording, the Mini will display a prompt 1-2 minutes prior to the recording start, telling the Mini user that the recording is about to start and the tuner will be reclaimed by the Roamio, the only way the Mini would keep the tuner is if the Mini user selected cancel this recording and keep LiveTV on the Mini. If no one was actively monitoring the Mini, the Roamio would just reclaim the tuner, and the recording would proceed.

TiVo Bolt, Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 02-02-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #1415 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
I am thinking of getting a TiVo Roamio Pro DVR and 5 TiVo Minis to cover 6 TVs in my house and a Tivo Stream. My only fear is spending all this cash and it is not going to work the way I want it.

Are the TiVo mini's good? Any issues with reliability? Can they pause, rewind, FF live TV?

I assume if all 6 TV's are on at the same time, you can only record what each TV is actually playing? Will this become a logistical nightmare or does the Roamio do a good job with this?
Are you really going to need 5 Minis showing LiveTV at the same time, during primetime?
Or would some of the Minis be watching currently or already recorded content, or Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

5 Minis are fine with one Roamio Pro as long as you do not need all 5 watching LiveTV during primetime. You could easily select a currently recording program on each Mini and that would not cause any problems.

The Minis are very reliable and work exactly as the main Roamio does, with one exception, the Mini does not display the video preview window in the upper right, when using the menus, It does for the Guide though.

TiVo Bolt, Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #1416 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrted46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No all 6 tv will not be on the same time, right now 3 would be on at most watching live tv.

For the mini to release the tuner, can't I program a macro on a harmony remote that on power off it somehow releases it?

If I decide to go with 1 pro dvr and 5 mini does it have to be moca? The reason I ask the way my house is wired is 1 coax wire is run from a cenatal location to each tv area so if the pro dvr has to handle moca I would assume I would need 2 coax going there, 1 for the fios sending signal and 1 for it to handle the moca. Is this correct?
mrted46 is offline  
post #1417 of 2101 Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
No all 6 tv will not be on the same time, right now 3 would be on at most watching live tv.

For the mini to release the tuner, can't I program a macro on a harmony remote that on power off it somehow releases it?

If I decide to go with 1 pro dvr and 5 mini does it have to be moca? The reason I ask the way my house is wired is 1 coax wire is run from a cenatal location to each tv area so if the pro dvr has to handle moca I would assume I would need 2 coax going there, 1 for the fios sending signal and 1 for it to handle the moca. Is this correct?
You should be fine w/ only 3 TVs needing LiveTV, if you have 4 recordings taking place, two of the Minis would have to switch to watching a recording, either one in-progress or already recorded.

The Mini releases the tuner by simply pressing the TiVo button on the remote, or going into any of the menus.

The Minis can use Ethernet or MoCA
I am no expert on MoCA, I don't use it, But, I have seen posts that FiOS, MoCA and Minis are the best combo, since FiOS runs MoCA natively. You would not need a second Coax cable, everything uses the one Coax.

You could save a few hundred bucks on a new Roamio Pro by using an eBay discount code. Make Offer $39

TiVo Bolt, Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 02-02-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #1418 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrted46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
You should be fine w/ only 3 TVs needing LiveTV, if you have 4 recordings taking place, two of the Minis would have to switch to watching a recording, either one in-progress or already recorded.

The Mini releases the tuner by simply pressing the TiVo button on the remote, or going into any of the menus.

The Minis can use Ethernet or MoCA
I am no expert on MoCA, I don't use it, But, I have seen posts that FiOS, MoCA and Minis are the best combo, since FiOS runs MoCA natively. You would not need a second Coax cable, everything uses the one Coax.

You could save a few hundred bucks on a new Roamio Pro by using an eBay discount code. Make Offer $39
Thanks for everyone for the helpful replies, I think I am going to go with TiVo and go with MoCa rather than ethernet, which would bog down my network.

Last question, if I buy 2 Roamio's do they share tuners? For example, if I buy 2 pro's thats 12 possible tuners, so they communicate with each other and work with the mini's or are the mini's tied to a particular Roamio?

How is searching for recorded content between 2 Roamio's? Is it in the same spot or do I have to search a particular Roamio.
mrted46 is offline  
post #1419 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
Thanks for everyone for the helpful replies, I think I am going to go with TiVo and go with MoCa rather than ethernet, which would bog down my network.

Last question, if I buy 2 Roamio's do they share tuners? For example, if I buy 2 pro's thats 12 possible tuners, so they communicate with each other and work with the mini's or are the mini's tied to a particular Roamio?

How is searching for recorded content between 2 Roamio's? Is it in the same spot or do I have to search a particular Roamio.
You give each Roamio a name. Not the same name. Then you drill down under My Shows that has the Roamio's name. You can select the device on the Mini, but I only have one. I don't think you need to make that decision every time you use it. I have a Premiere online. Selecting content is not a problem. They can communicate with each other, but it's not a sync type issue. Nothing is automatic if that's what you mean. BTW, you can't see the other device's To Do List or SP. You can see both at TiVo.com if you need to.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #1420 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
Thanks for everyone for the helpful replies, I think I am going to go with TiVo and go with MoCa rather than ethernet, which would bog down my network.
Moca still uses your network, it just delivers the info over coax rather then ethernet. You need to connect the Roamio to your router via ethernet and it will create the Moca bridge to sent it over coax. If you don't have a network ethernet connection at the Romaio then you need to buy a Moca adapter to create the bridge at your modem and router.
RemyM is offline  
post #1421 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
This is FALSE, Recordings on the Roamio take priority over the Mini using a tuner for LiveTV. If a Tuner is needed for a scheduled recording, the Mini will display a prompt 1-2 minutes prior to the recording start, telling the Mini user that the recording is about to start and the tuner will be reclaimed by the Roamio, the only way the Mini would keep the tuner is if the Mini user selected cancel this recording and keep LiveTV on the Mini. If no one was actively monitoring the Mini, the Roamio would just reclaim the tuner, and the recording would proceed.
That has NOT been my experience with a 4-tuner Roamio and a Mini. I have had recordings on my Roamio refused because the Mini in the kitchen was holding onto the tuner. Perhaps this was corrected in recent firmware, I'll check on my system tonight.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1422 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post
For the mini to release the tuner, can't I program a macro on a harmony remote that on power off it somehow releases it?
Yes. You don't even need a macro. Just tell the Harmony to send the TiVo button code during shut-down. That will release the tuner.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1423 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Member
 
fredm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of getting a Roamio or the Roamio Plus and 2 Minis. I could place the Roamio right next to my Cable Modem and Router but would rather have it in another room by my big screen. I've got good Wifi coverage in my home. Do I need to buy a MoCa adapter? My Comcast cable comes in to a 4 port amplifier which goes to 4 different rooms, would this be a problem? In case my cable goes out, it looks like only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA? (I guess I'll have to reconfigure the Roamio when this happens) The Minis won't have wired ethernet, how well do Powerline adapters work with the Minis?

thanks!
fredm54 is offline  
post #1424 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm54 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Roamio or the Roamio Plus and 2 Minis. I could place the Roamio right next to my Cable Modem and Router but would rather have it in another room by my big screen. I've got good Wifi coverage in my home. Do I need to buy a MoCa adapter? My Comcast cable comes in to a 4 port amplifier which goes to 4 different rooms, would this be a problem? In case my cable goes out, it looks like only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA? (I guess I'll have to reconfigure the Roamio when this happens) The Minis won't have wired ethernet, how well do Powerline adapters work with the Minis?

thanks!
Just a thought. How good is your WiFi? What do you get running http://www.speedtest.net/ on a wireless device?
JoeKustra is offline  
post #1425 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Member
 
fredm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm at work now, but I can stream Netflix and Amazon 4K content to my Smart TV with no buffering issues.
fredm54 is offline  
post #1426 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
This is FALSE, Recordings on the Roamio take priority over the Mini using a tuner for LiveTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That has NOT been my experience with a 4-tuner Roamio and a Mini . . . . Perhaps this was corrected in recent firmware, I'll check on my system tonight.
Yep, they fixed it. I had to go home over lunch to let my puppy out so I checked it out. The 4-tuner Roamio now takes the tuner from the Mini when it needs it. It does so at the start of the 3rd recording so the Roamio keeps the remaining live tuner for itself. The Mini is SOL for live TV as long as the Roamio is recording 3 shows. I'll play with it some more tonight.

Big improvement, I stand corrected and happy to be so.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1427 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm54 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Roamio or the Roamio Plus and 2 Minis. I could place the Roamio right next to my Cable Modem and Router but would rather have it in another room by my big screen. I've got good Wifi coverage in my home. Do I need to buy a MoCa adapter? My Comcast cable comes in to a 4 port amplifier which goes to 4 different rooms, would this be a problem? In case my cable goes out, it looks like only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA? (I guess I'll have to reconfigure the Roamio when this happens) The Minis won't have wired ethernet, how well do Powerline adapters work with the Minis?

thanks!
When I got my mini I tried a powerline adapter as I didn't have Moca. It was 99% there, but it kept skipping. A newer one may work. I ended up getting a $30 Linksys AC bridge and that has been flawless.

The only option at the moment is wired or moca for the mini and Roamio. The new mini is shipping with an RF remote, but that seems to be the only change according to Dave Zatz.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 02-03-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added info
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1428 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm54 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Roamio or the Roamio Plus and 2 Minis. I could place the Roamio right next to my Cable Modem and Router but would rather have it in another room by my big screen. I've got good Wifi coverage in my home. Do I need to buy a MoCa adapter? My Comcast cable comes in to a 4 port amplifier which goes to 4 different rooms, would this be a problem? In case my cable goes out, it looks like only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA? (I guess I'll have to reconfigure the Roamio when this happens) The Minis won't have wired ethernet, how well do Powerline adapters work with the Minis?

thanks!
The Roamio can work solo on WiFi but once you add a mini you need ethernet or MoCa. A MoCa adapter costs $50. The 4 tuner Roamio does not have a built in MoCa adapter only the Roamio Plus and Pro do.
RemyM is offline  
post #1429 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm54 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Roamio or the Roamio Plus and 2 Minis. I could place the Roamio right next to my Cable Modem and Router but would rather have it in another room by my big screen. I've got good Wifi coverage in my home. Do I need to buy a MoCa adapter? My Comcast cable comes in to a 4 port amplifier which goes to 4 different rooms, would this be a problem? In case my cable goes out, it looks like only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA? (I guess I'll have to reconfigure the Roamio when this happens) The Minis won't have wired ethernet, how well do Powerline adapters work with the Minis?
In order for Moca to work, the amplifier and any splitters have to be bi-directional (usually have a Moca-compatible sticker on them). A signal has to be able to travel from one device to the other in both directions over the coax.

You would only need to buy a Moca adapter when using the Roamio basic. Moca on the Roamio Plus/Pro is better because it is built-in and runs at full speed -- separate from the ethernet connection. That means it can feed the Mini at >200Mbps. The ethernet port on the Roamio Basic is 10/100 so it can only feed a Moca adapter at 100 Mbps. You need to pay attention to your wiring layout so you don't load your main network with Mini traffic.

Powerline adapters are situational so the best one can say is they will work fine with a Mini as long has you have adequate bandwidth. Mini's put a big constant load on your network. If someone else starts introducing network traffic you can find your picture stutters. Also, without adequate bandwidth, trick-play functions like skip forward/backward or FF/RW bog down and are frustratingly non-responsive.

I tried to use Powerline adapters with my Mini and quickly found it couldn't supply the needed bandwidth in the face of the rest of the network traffic going on in my house. I went to Moca and have been very happy since.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1430 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
kamouflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I saw you mentioned the Tivo stream as well. It's integrated in the Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro, separate purchase on the Roamio.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
kamouflage is offline  
post #1431 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrted46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The only thing from making this a slamdunk for me would be a plex app.

Can't wait to get the hardware and set everything up
mrted46 is offline  
post #1432 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Member
 
fredm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the info. Here is a screenshot of the Speedtest app I just did on my phone.
I have a PCT-MA-B1015-4P amplifier, I think I'll need a different splitter/amp. Here's an image of that too.

Will a Mini work where there is ethernet but no coax cable? I think I'll would get the Roamio Plus (includes MoCa and Stream)

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-02-03-16-33-16 (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	523057   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCTMAB10154P-2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	523065  
fredm54 is offline  
post #1433 of 2101 Old 02-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Member
 
fredm54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just found this on Comcast's "How to get a CableCARD" page.

Note: If you subscribe to a video service level above Limited Basic and you have additional televisions connected to Comcast video service there will be an additional monthly service charge for your additional television outlets regardless of whether you lease equipment from Comcast or provide your own retail devices. If, however, you own a retail device, including a CableCARD device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD equipped television) with an activated CableCARD installed and are subscribing to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service, Comcast will issue you a monthly Customer Owned Equipment credit.

So would I get charged for any additional Minis?
fredm54 is offline  
post #1434 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I'm curious why my OTA Tivo Roamio only displays "Dolby Digital- Unknown" every time? It never specifies if it's 5.1 or just 2.0 so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing.
Chere is offline  
post #1435 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I'm curious why my OTA Tivo Roamio only displays "Dolby Digital- Unknown" every time? It never specifies if it's 5.1 or just 2.0 so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing.
When viewing some channels on cable I can get "Unknown - Dolby Digital", but on a known DD5.2 channel like CBS I still just get "English - Dolby Digital". I've never seen a "5.1" or "2.0" on the TiVo, but the LFE indicator on my AVR lets me know. I guess OTA shows more info.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #1436 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Member
 
a68oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Crawfordsville, IN
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm54 View Post
Just found this on Comcast's "How to get a CableCARD" page.

Note: If you subscribe to a video service level above Limited Basic and you have additional televisions connected to Comcast video service there will be an additional monthly service charge for your additional television outlets regardless of whether you lease equipment from Comcast or provide your own retail devices. If, however, you own a retail device, including a CableCARD device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD equipped television) with an activated CableCARD installed and are subscribing to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service, Comcast will issue you a monthly Customer Owned Equipment credit.

So would I get charged for any additional Minis?

I just changed from 2 Tivo S3s and 2 cablecards to one Roamio and one cablecard and two minis. Previously I was being charged for the primary outlet and one additional outlet and received 2 customer owned equipment credits. Now I pay for only the primary outlet and receive one customer owned equipment credit. There are no charges for the minis since they use the single multistream cablecard in the Roamio which is included in the primary outlet.


Changing to the Roamio and the minis reduced my cable charges. There are no extra charges for the minis.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
a68oliver is offline  
post #1437 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 332
So does anyone else have an issue watching live TV on their Mini while someone is watching a recording on their Roamio? My wife was trying to watch the news live while I was watching Justified on delay and the picture kept freezing for her. I see a thread on tivocommunity with several posts on it.
RemyM is offline  
post #1438 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ncted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
So does anyone else have an issue watching live TV on their Mini while someone is watching a recording on their Roamio? My wife was trying to watch the news live while I was watching Justified on delay and the picture kept freezing for her. I see a thread on tivocommunity with several posts on it.
I never have a problem with this on my Roamio OTA.
ncted is offline  
post #1439 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
When viewing some channels on cable I can get "Unknown - Dolby Digital", but on a known DD5.2 channel like CBS I still just get "English - Dolby Digital". I've never seen a "5.1" or "2.0" on the TiVo, but the LFE indicator on my AVR lets me know. I guess OTA shows more info.

I'm OTA only and I see the same info as you. Good to know "English - Dolby Digital" means I'm getting DD 5.1 (2). I can verify mine on the Oppo 103D but I was just curious I guess why the Tivo doesn't give out a more detailed information.
Chere is offline  
post #1440 of 2101 Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I'm OTA only and I see the same info as you. Good to know "English - Dolby Digital" means I'm getting DD 5.1 (2). I can verify mine on the Oppo 103D but I was just curious I guess why the Tivo doesn't give out a more detailed information.
Sorry, I meant 5.1 but I do agree some advancement in the diagnostics area would be nice. My pet peeve now is the download speed from Netflix and Amazon under download history. At least my AVR can tell me if it's 5.1 or 2.0 without killing anything except some of the display.

BTW, I can't endorse your conclusion. I get the English - Dolby Digital when watching CW WSWB HD which is DD 2.0 on my AVR. The Daily Show on Comedy Central is the Unknown and it still shows DD 2.0. Both are 1080i feeds from my cable company. I could get the Audio PID for a show if that would help. But that assumes the cable card data is correct. I don't trust the TiVo to supply good information until I can verify it with something else. Like the SNR. I trust it since it's the same on my TV, Premiere, Roamio and cable modem.
JoeKustra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off