TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #1771 of 2101 Old 07-03-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
TiVo remotes have been able to turn off/on both TV and stereo at the same time for a while now --

Do these instructions not work for you?
Thanks. I've seen those instructions before and tried them. It turns on my Onkyo AVR but won't turn it off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 2101 Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
So does anyone else have an issue watching live TV on their Mini while someone is watching a recording on their Roamio? My wife was trying to watch the news live while I was watching Justified on delay and the picture kept freezing for her. I see a thread on tivocommunity with several posts on it.
I have a Roamio Plus and a mini. We are continually getting freezing on the Mini lately. It will freeze on live tv and occassionally on recording playback. I have seen it freeze when both units are playing the same live channel (just the other night). This is a single home FiOS environment running a Moca network for TV (internet is over ethernet). I unplug the mini multiple times a week. Need to call Tivo to get some guidance, but thinking of getting a Roamio basic to leverage OTA and stream recordings from the plus if that works.
post #1773 of 2101 Old 07-10-2015, 11:13 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8970 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
I have a Roamio Plus and a mini. We are continually getting freezing on the Mini lately. It will freeze on live tv and occassionally on recording playback. I have seen it freeze when both units are playing the same live channel (just the other night). This is a single home FiOS environment running a Moca network for TV (internet is over ethernet). I unplug the mini multiple times a week. Need to call Tivo to get some guidance, but thinking of getting a Roamio basic to leverage OTA and stream recordings from the plus if that works.
Yes you can stream from the plus to the Roamio Basic. But something is wrong if you need to constantly reboot the Mini. I have four of them and the only time they get rebooted is when the software gets updated.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 2101 Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes you can stream from the plus to the Roamio Basic. But something is wrong if you need to constantly reboot the Mini. I have four of them and the only time they get rebooted is when the software gets updated.
Yes it used to be just software updates. No idea what changed in my environment. Wife is getting pretty aggravated! Not sure changing units will help, so I'll try Tivo support. I have tried to research issue and don't see any applicable solutions. Still love my Tivos.
post #1775 of 2101 Old 07-12-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
FYI, there's a pretty serious picture quality issue that I found on the Roamio and Mini on 1080i channels. If you're interested in following along, here's the thread
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #1776 of 2101 Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Interesting. Thanks you for sharing with us Wizziwig. Hopefully it's addressable via an update (not hardware based)...
post #1777 of 2101 Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes it used to be just software updates. No idea what changed in my environment. Wife is getting pretty aggravated! Not sure changing units will help, so I'll try Tivo support. I have tried to research issue and don't see any applicable solutions. Still love my Tivos.
How it the mini connected, ie., WiFi or wired? Has anything changed on your network? I don't know squat about the mini but when I read about your problem I immediately thought NETWORK.
post #1778 of 2101 Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
minis are wired.
post #1779 of 2101 Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbmab View Post
How it the mini connected, ie., WiFi or wired? Has anything changed on your network? I don't know squat about the mini but when I read about your problem I immediately thought NETWORK.
Network yes. Ethernet and MoCA are the communication options. I connect my Mini to an Ethernet to wireless adapter using 802.11ac. I have zero problems. I use my Mini 1 to 2 hours daily and it's two rooms away from my router. This is not a TiVo supported method.
post #1780 of 2101 Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I do the same thing, it has been very reliable. I tried using powerline ethernet but it stuttered.
post #1781 of 2101 Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbmab View Post
My Mini is wired running Moca on the FiOS coax. It has been in service for around 18 months. I had some occasional glitches but now it likes to freeze. I rebooted my Roamio plus and the mini has been okay so far. I hope I'm not one of those folks that needs to do this weekly. The strangest thing was it freezing when I turned the same live station on the Roamio. Changing the station on the Roamio would unfreeze it. The mini is almost always running recorded programs and sometimes the freeze causes the program to be rewound to the start and other times it will unfreeze and remain in the same spot. This mini is on a glass table top, but still is warm to the touch.
post #1782 of 2101 Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This mini is on a glass table top, but still is warm to the touch.
If you can believe the diagnostics, the Mini is 5 to 10C warmer than a Roamio. But it shouldn't lockup or need a reboot. It doesn't have an uptime indication like the Roamio, but I'm sure mine has been going over a month. I don't have it on a UPS either since it sits on a kitchen shelf with a small TV. It is on a surge strip that powers it, the TV and the WUMC710 network adapter. I use it daily for over an hour and sometimes the EAS test connects it, so I let it time out unless I need the tuner.
post #1783 of 2101 Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As a potential cord-cutter, I am curious about opinions regarding the OTA Roamio. How does one watch live TV with the device? Do you watch it thru the Roamio or can you switch TV inputs and just watch straight from your antenna?

Also, can someone better explain what the One-Pass feature does regarding recording content from streaming services? Will it actually download and save a movie from Netflix to its internal storage, or is it just "Bookmarking" the movie so you can find it easier?

Thanks.
post #1784 of 2101 Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork55 View Post
As a potential cord-cutter, I am curious about opinions regarding the OTA Roamio. How does one watch live TV with the device? Do you watch it thru the Roamio or can you switch TV inputs and just watch straight from your antenna?

Also, can someone better explain what the One-Pass feature does regarding recording content from streaming services? Will it actually download and save a movie from Netflix to its internal storage, or is it just "Bookmarking" the movie so you can find it easier?

Thanks.
As with most DVR units these days, you never really watch live TV. That would be like having the TiVo acting as just a tuner. Your TV already has that. The TiVo is constantly buffering (on hard disk) the last thirty minutes that is on the channel you are tuned to even if you are not watching that channel. The OTA model has four tuners that are always being buffered. The output of the TiVo feeds one of the HDMI inputs of your TV. The TiVo remote has a programmable input button so you should never need the TV's remote. So yes, you can watch live TV through the TiVo including being able to hit pause, rewind, etc. and resume watching or fast forward to the end of the buffer. Some people use this to skip commercials and wish it had a bigger buffer. The One Pass and online streaming question I must leave to someone else.
post #1785 of 2101 Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
One-Pass is the new upgraded Season Pass feature and is a new paradigm for on-demand. One-Pass aggregates the show listings in the channel guide with the content catalogs of the streaming services you are subscribed to and presents it uniformly in the playlist of the UI. So for example, if you are subscribed to Amazon Prime, you set a 1-pass for Grimm and tell it to include your streaming service. Then in your playlist you will see the organized entries for the current season of Grimm you are recording and you will also see organized entries for all the episodes of the past seasons of Grimm. So the TiVo does all the service catalog searching for you and presents the results seamlessly with the UI as if they were all on your HDD waiting to be played.

This works even if you are not actively recording the show. For example I am OTA but I have a 1-pass set up for the old cable show The Wire which I get from Amazon Prime. As a result in my playlist I have a folder entry for all 5 seasons of The Wire as if I had recorded and collected it.

Of course they are not really on your HDD -- streaming services don't allow that so there is no accommodation if you suffer from poor quality Internet. The entries are pointers to the content on the service. But they work the same way -- click it and it starts to play.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1786 of 2101 Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks.
To add to what others have posted, you can watch "live" TV either through your Roamio or directly on your TV, but would lose trick play functionality if you watched on your TV only.

OnePass is a great idea, but somewhat hit or miss in practice. My opinion is that they are still working on it, so it should get better with time. I do not use One Passes for streaming content as I found it easier not to, but YMMV.
post #1787 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:

Thanks.
One thing that I've found with my roamio basic (that's the model with the OTA tuner) versus the built in OTA tuner on my Samsung F8500 TV is that the F8500's tuner provides a slight improvement in picture quality. Its not much but its there. Full disclosure, I'm extraordinarily picky about picture quality and the difference might not be visible to others.
post #1788 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
One thing that I've found with my roamio basic (that's the model with the OTA tuner) versus the built in OTA tuner on my Samsung F8500 TV is that the F8500's tuner provides a slight improvement in picture quality. Its not much but its there. Full disclosure, I'm extraordinarily picky about picture quality and the difference might not be visible to others.
I agree, but let's not start debate number 6,000 about it. There is an interesting thread (with samples) that show interlacing issues with the Roamio in TCF: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=530095
post #1789 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys. It will be helpful as I move forward with the cord cutting discussions with my wife.
post #1790 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
First off, your TV can have different picture settings for input from the tuner vs. input from the HDMI ports. Do you have both set the same.

Second: What is the output mode of your Roamio set to? TiVo makes it real easy for people to select "Automatic" for HDMI output which selects a single resolution for your TV (what the TV reports as its preferred resolution). The TiVo then converts all output to match this resolution so it is doing the processing and not the scalar in you HDTV which may be better. People like this "Automatic" setting because it makes channel surfing much faster since the HDTV does not have to pause for a mode switch going between 1080i, 720p & 480i channels. It always gets the same resolution from the TiVo and never has to switch.

The alternative to this is to set the TiVo to send native output to the HDTV. It is slower on channel surfing but it sends the native signal as-received to your HDTV and lets your TVs scalar do the upconversion to 1080p as it would for input from its own tuner. If you have a high-quality set with a good scalar, you may see the difference -- especially if you are looking for it.

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma. When the TiVo was set to "Auto" everything went out of the Roamio to the plasma as 1080i. I recently set the TiVo to native and found that my plasma was now receiving some streaming content through the Roamio from Amazon Prime as 1080p/24. Some mode switching experiments and I could clearly see a difference so I now have all my TiVo's set to native output.

- kelson h

post #1791 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 AM
UHD Addict

I used to use native output with TiVos since 2004 when the first HDTiVo was released. But when the Roamios came out in 2013, with the ability to scale to 1080P, I stopped using Native Resolution Output. I finally had enough of the re-syncing every time the resolution changes. And I don't run any TVs that can display a multiple of 24 fps so I don't normally use 1080P24 output either with my TiVos.

post #1792 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
First off, your TV can have different picture settings for input from the tuner vs. input from the HDMI ports. Do you have both set the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I used to use native output with TiVos since 2004 when the first HDTiVo was released. But when the Roamios came out in 2013, with the ability to scale to 1080P, I stopped using Native Resolution Output. I finally had enough of the re-syncing every time the resolution changes. And I don't run any TVs that can display a multiple of 24 fps so I don't normally use 1080P24 output either with my TiVos.
You're both right. Debate 6001?
post #1793 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
1080p fixed is the only way to go with the Roamios, IMO.
post #1794 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Debate 6001?
Not really. Facts are still facts. Native output lets your HDTV do the scaling work at the cost of a mode-shift time delay. Fixed output makes the TiVo do the work and speeds up channel surfing by keeping the TV set to a constant mode. Each has advantages for a given user and his equipment that will tip the scale to one side or the other.

TiVo offers users the choice to pick. Choice is a double-edged sword. One edge enables users to pick the mode that suits them best. The other edge enables users to argue which choice is "better". Lesser products don't offer a choice and provide only fixed output with the scaler they provide. Their users either don't care or bitch at their lack of choice.

It's a cruel world.
ncted, JoeKustra and A J like this.

- kelson h

post #1795 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Not really. Facts are still facts. Native output lets your HDTV do the scaling work at the cost of a mode-shift time delay. Fixed output makes the TiVo do the work and speeds up channel surfing by keeping the TV set to a constant mode. Each has advantages for a given user and his equipment that will tip the scale to one side or the other.

TiVo offers users the choice to pick. Choice is a double-edged sword. One edge enables users to pick the mode that suits them best. The other edge enables users to argue which choice is "better". Lesser products don't offer a choice and provide only fixed output with the scaler they provide. Their users either don't care or bitch at their lack of choice.

It's a cruel world.
As a DirecTV subscriber, I have the same choice with their DVR boxes. I always choose native because I want to see whatever is sent. This does cause the mentioned re-syncing issue but it's not as important to me as having it set to (and viewing) native output. Since I DVR almost everything, I don't really surf, so the resolution switching delay is not an issue. Surfers hate the delay.

You're right. It's good to have a choice.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #1796 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
1080p fixed is the only way to go with the Roamios, IMO.
I tried that, and I had audio dropouts. I use a fixed 1080i and 1080p pass through so Amazon works really nice with 1080/p24. Same with Mini. No, no debates on this either please. Like the man said. It's a choice.
post #1797 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 09:56 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
As a DirecTV subscriber, I have the same choice with their DVR boxes. I always choose native because I want to see whatever is sent. This does cause the mentioned re-syncing issue but it's not as important to me as having it set to (and viewing) native output. Since I DVR almost everything, I don't really surf, so the resolution switching delay is not an issue. Surfers hate the delay.

You're right. It's good to have a choice.
I don't channel surf either but I watch recordings/streaming content from 720P, 1080i, and 1080P24 on my TiVos. So anytime the resolution/framerate changes with Native it is annoying with the re-syncing. So even though, in my main setup, everything runs through an external scaler/video processor, I just let the TiVos send 1080P60 out.

Years ago I put up with the resolution chnage issues. But at some point I had enough of it. At least with my broadcast/streaming content.

post #1798 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
One-Pass is the new upgraded Season Pass feature and is a new paradigm for on-demand. One-Pass aggregates the show listings in the channel guide with the content catalogs of the streaming services you are subscribed to and presents it uniformly in the playlist of the UI. So for example, if you are subscribed to Amazon Prime, you set a 1-pass for Grimm and tell it to include your streaming service. Then in your playlist you will see the organized entries for the current season of Grimm you are recording and you will also see organized entries for all the episodes of the past seasons of Grimm. So the TiVo does all the service catalog searching for you and presents the results seamlessly with the UI as if they were all on your HDD waiting to be played.

This works even if you are not actively recording the show. For example I am OTA but I have a 1-pass set up for the old cable show The Wire which I get from Amazon Prime. As a result in my playlist I have a folder entry for all 5 seasons of The Wire as if I had recorded and collected it.

Of course they are not really on your HDD -- streaming services don't allow that so there is no accommodation if you suffer from poor quality Internet. The entries are pointers to the content on the service. But they work the same way -- click it and it starts to play.
Not sure if it's the same thing but for a while now my TiVo shows on my season passes episodes that it didn't record. I don't have paid subscriptions at all, and anyway it lists those "fake" episodes on top and when I click on one of them (by mistake) I am prompted to subscribe to a paid service. I find that money trolling and offputting and it's really pi$$ing me off
post #1799 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
Not sure if it's the same thing but for a while now my TiVo shows on my season passes episodes that it didn't record. I don't have paid subscriptions at all, and anyway it lists those "fake" episodes on top and when I click on one of them (by mistake) I am prompted to subscribe to a paid service. I find that money trolling and offputting and it's really pi$$ing me off
Settings, Channels, My Video Providers. Uncheck what you don't subscribe to and they will not be included in a 1P or Search. In Recording Options, select Include Recordings Only, and Rent or Buy to Don't include. To flush your To Do List and History, run a Help, Reset, Clear Program Information and To Do List. That last one needs two passes. Don't let the box get to you. It doesn't care.
Kelson and Jim in Phoenix like this.
post #1800 of 2101 Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Settings, Channels, My Video Providers. Uncheck what you don't subscribe to and they will not be included in a 1P or Search. In Recording Options, select Include Recordings Only, and Rent or Buy to Don't include. To flush your To Do List and History, run a Help, Reset, Clear Program Information and To Do List. That last one needs two passes. Don't let the box get to you. It doesn't care.
Thanks man. I'll try that. I'm sure I did some of those - but not all, and didn't resolve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page