TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #1831 of 2101 Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero
CBS, local and national, as a whole is terrible at football preemption. There are big threads at Tivo Community Forums about it. CBS has had a service for this for years: [URL
http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/[/URL]
Thanks Aero and Joe for the heads up, it's sad to see that some networks do not diligently keep their shows in some kind of sync, so some of us do not lose the important story lines...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2101 Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post
Thanks Aero and Joe for the heads up, it's sad to see that some networks do not diligently keep their shows in some kind of sync, so some of us do not lose the important story lines...
I guess that's why you missed it, but I don't understand why it doesn't turn up with Search. Also, it's on Prime if you have it.
post #1833 of 2101 Old 08-21-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
CBS, local and national, as a whole is terrible at football preemption. There are big threads at Tivo Community Forums about it. CBS has had a service for this for years: http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/
I dread CBS Sunday. The CBS Sunday night lineup is in tatters because it is guaranteed that a football game overrun will cause the schedule to shift. There is only one CBS show I record Sunday night and so I have the season pass padded at the end by 2 hr to make sure I always get it. And it's not just football. They've shifted the Sunday schedule plenty of times for a golf game.

Fortunately the Jets game didn't air in DE so I recorded Under the Dome as scheduled.
aaronwt likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2101 Old 08-21-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post
Here is today's alert: https://twitter.com/CBSNewYork/statu...57913635110912

Quote:
PROGRAMMING NOTE: Due to preseason football, the CBS prime time lineup will be broadcast on WLNY.

The best part of all of this is that if you are OTA only like me, and do not live 3 miles from the very weak WLNY transmitter in the middle of Lond Island, you are not getting this channel. People in NYC barely get this station. If you get this station via cable, then you should check if it shows on the guide for tonight because looking at my tivo, football on channel 2 tonight. i cant check WLNY 55.1 on my tivo since i cant get it, but titan tv shows that it will be aired tonight.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #1835 of 2101 Old 08-22-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess that's why you missed it, but I don't understand why it doesn't turn up with Search. Also, it's on Prime if you have it.
sweet
post #1836 of 2101 Old 08-22-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyboy13 View Post
sweet
Really weird. If you Search for NFL, all the preseason games are there with teams. If you use the guide, none have the teams. The guide is not your friend.
post #1837 of 2101 Old 08-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I noticed that NFL quirk too
post #1838 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Yeah they totally screwed up the listings for all the preseason games for some unknown reason. It's just like Joe said, you can't schedule from the guide. I only care about the Falcons so I use the paper to see when they're playing and schedule manually.
post #1839 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody notice that Amazon is not working most of the time? It's been a topic on TCF.
post #1840 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah they totally screwed up the listings for all the preseason games for some unknown reason. It's just like Joe said, you can't schedule from the guide. I only care about the Falcons so I use the paper to see when they're playing and schedule manually.
It is odd that the listings don't give the names of the teams playing. I never noticed that until it was mentioned here -- I don't bother looking since I have a standing wishlist set up for any Eagles games on any channel. So, despite their not being named in the guide, I haven't missed either of the first 2 Eagles pre-season games. The Roamio has recorded them so the data must be in there somewhere -- just not displayed in the guide.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1841 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Anybody notice that Amazon is not working most of the time? It's been a topic on TCF.
I haven't noticed. We generally stream something nightly from Prime around dinner time while cooking. It's been working fine for me.

- kelson h

post #1842 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Yeah, didn't work at all for me last night for the first time ever. I had to use the app built into my TV instead which is not as snappy as the Tivo app is.
post #1843 of 2101 Old 08-23-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Yeah, didn't work at all for me last night for the first time ever. I had to use the app built into my TV instead which is not as snappy as the Tivo app is.
I'm sure it's not related, but I got it back when I did a reboot on my router. I hope it was a coincidence, since it doesn't work now.
post #1844 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I'm sure it's not related, but I got it back when I did a reboot on my router. I hope it was a coincidence, since it doesn't work now.
It worked last night like a charm, so hopefully it is fixed for me.
post #1845 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I dread CBS Sunday. The CBS Sunday night lineup is in tatters because it is guaranteed that a football game overrun will cause the schedule to shift. There is only one CBS show I record Sunday night and so I have the season pass padded at the end by 2 hr to make sure I always get it. And it's not just football. They've shifted the Sunday schedule plenty of times for a golf game.

Fortunately the Jets game didn't air in DE so I recorded Under the Dome as scheduled.
Yes I hate CBS for this crap. It had been many, many years since I watched a show on CBS on Sunday night. Which was nice. But last year I started watching Madam Secretary so I have to put a big pad at the end since you never know how long the delay will be.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1846 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes I hate CBS for this crap. It had been many, many years since I watched a show on CBS on Sunday night. Which was nice. But last year I started watching Madam Secretary so I have to put a big pad at the end since you never know how long the delay will be.
45 minutes would be ideal for me, it would catch 99% of the overruns, unfortunatly Tivo doesn't have a 45 minute extension(at least my HD) so I have to pad it 1hr, which covers 99.5% of any overruns. Can't think of a time 1hr didn't cover it for me, or 45 minutes wouldn't have either.
Like the rest of you I dread anything on CBS Sunday evenings! I don't know why they couldn't just plan on a 1/2hr rap up show at the end of the game and if the game ran long, just shorten the wrap up. I bet 80% of the time football runs at least a few minutes over, most of the time more than that.
post #1847 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Fresh to the Roamio user experience (coming from an S3, the first of the Tivo HD machines).

I see now they've got the 30 second advance already incorporated. Nice.

Are there any official or unofficial workarounds for removing the search bar more quickly and also, for removing the advertising above the search bar? Just as there were for previous generation Tivo models?

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #1848 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
45 minutes would be ideal for me, it would catch 99% of the overruns, unfortunatly Tivo doesn't have a 45 minute extension(at least my HD) so I have to pad it 1hr, which covers 99.5% of any overruns. Can't think of a time 1hr didn't cover it for me, or 45 minutes wouldn't have either.
Like the rest of you I dread anything on CBS Sunday evenings! I don't know why they couldn't just plan on a 1/2hr rap up show at the end of the game and if the game ran long, just shorten the wrap up. I bet 80% of the time football runs at least a few minutes over, most of the time more than that.
I can definitely think of time when a 1 hour padding didn't cover me. It was early on in the Madam secretary season. And I missed some of it with just an hour pad. So I had to select a longer pad of 1.5 hours. Which is preferable to paying $3 for streaming episode that was only partially recorded because of an over run. The TiVo will automatically delete the recording with no intevention by me anyway.

post #1849 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can definitely think of time when a 1 hour padding didn't cover me. It was early on in the Madam secretary season. And I missed some of it with just an hour pad. So I had to select a longer pad of 1.5 hours. Which is preferable to paying $3 for streaming episode that was only partially recorded because of an over run. The TiVo will automatically delete the recording with no intevention by me anyway.
I never pad that program. That's because I have CSI on after it and I pad that 90 minutes. If things are that bad I get an email from TCF on delays.
post #1850 of 2101 Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Are there any official or unofficial workarounds for removing the search bar more quickly and also, for removing the advertising above the search bar? Just as there were for previous generation Tivo models?

When it's showing, hit the DOWN arrow and it'll collapse.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1851 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 AM

Getting my Roamio OTA on Friday. I am trying to decide whether to use the remote it came with or my Harmony 670. I have the Harmony programmed one button to do a 30 second skip, is that something that I can do with the Tivo remote? I don't recall how I programmed the skip, actually, I got instructions here on AVS somewhere. Was that likely to be cable-box specific or usable on any DVR?
post #1852 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post
Getting my Roamio OTA on Friday. I am trying to decide whether to use the remote it came with or my Harmony 670. I have the Harmony programmed one button to do a 30 second skip, is that something that I can do with the Tivo remote? I don't recall how I programmed the skip, actually, I got instructions here on AVS somewhere. Was that likely to be cable-box specific or usable on any DVR?
Tivo also has a 30-sec skip, no black magic required. Cable box codes are obviously incompatible with Tivo, so just add the new Tivo device and update your activities to use it instead of your old box. Command will be there and already assigned to the proper button.

You may also want to consider getting a Tivo Slide Pro remote to supplement (or replace) your Harmony. It's RF, so no aiming, and has a full QWERTY keypad for searches. It's backlit too and has codes for most TVs and AVRs as well as limited learning. Not a bad option if your Harmony is only doing TV/AVR/CBL duty.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-25-2015 at 09:08 AM.
post #1853 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Tivo also has a 30-sec skip, no black magic required. Cable box codes are obviously incompatible with Tivo, so just add the new Tivo device and update your activities to use it instead of your old box. Command will be there and already assigned to the proper button.

You may also want to consider getting a Tivo Slide Pro remote to supplement (or replace) your Harmony. It's RF, so no aiming, and has a full QWERTY keypad for searches. It's backlit too and has codes for most TVs and AVRs as well as limited learning. Not a bad option if your Harmony is only doing TV/AVR/CBL duty.
That sounds perfect, thanks! I will definitely check that out. Mostly just need something that can work the Tivo and then switch inputs easily. All the other devices need their own remote, unfortunately (Shield TV, PS4), so can probably get by without a universal. So, the 30 second skip is already assigned to a button on the regular Tivo remote or do I have to do anything when I get it?
post #1854 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sounds perfect, thanks! I will definitely check that out. Mostly just need something that can work the Tivo and then switch inputs easily. All the other devices need their own remote, unfortunately (Shield TV, PS4), so can probably get by without a universal. So, the 30 second skip is already assigned to a button on the regular Tivo remote or do I have to do anything when I get it?
The button is there. It does double duty as it's also the "-" button for OTA subchannels. There is an input button for most televisions, selected from a menu. There are four different built-in (so to speak) remote functions: TV Power, Volume and mute. A/V volume and mute. TV input. And control of the FF/REW and 30 second skip.
Vance14 likes this.
post #1855 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
The button is there. It does double duty as it's also the "-" button for OTA subchannels. There is an input button for most televisions, selected from a menu. There are four different built-in (so to speak) remote functions: TV Power, Volume and mute. A/V volume and mute. TV input. And control of the FF/REW and 30 second skip.
Got it! That sounds reasonably workable. :0) Thanks!
post #1856 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
What do you mean by "search bar"?
Do you mean the progress bar that pops up at the bottom when you hit pause or play?

- kelson h

post #1857 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So, the 30 second skip is already assigned to a button on the regular Tivo remote or do I have to do anything when I get it?
Actually, yes you do -- depending on your taste.
The skip functions, out of the box, are really escalated FF/RW. When you press the button it will zip through the 30 sec (or back 6 sec) but it is still playing it, just real fast. If you like that kind of skip then you are all set. If however you would prefer a faster instantaneous skip -- a 30 sec jump -- you have to enable that.

Start playing any recording.

During playback press: Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select

You have to do it fast enough for it to take. If it doesn't work, do it again until it does.

This is a toggle between the two skip modes so you can always go back if you prefer the other mode.

I believe it also works if you are not playing a recording if you add another Select, i.e.
Select - Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select
Vance14 likes this.

- kelson h

post #1858 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 AM
UHD Addict

Yes. It defaults to the 30 second scan. TO enable the 30 second skip you do what Kelson says.

I used the 30 second skip with my TiVos for close to a dozen years and loved it. When the 30 second scan came out I thought I wouldn't like it. But I actually loved it more. Now I couldn't imagine going back to using the 30 second skip.

post #1859 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't have to do anything, unless you want to change how skip works, as Kelson said (thanks for posting that, Kelson). DirecTV calls these different skip modes "skip" and "slip". I forget which is which, but as Kelson said, one is a fast fixed FFWD so you can see what you're skipping, and the other is an instant 30 sec jump. I've used both over the years and prefer the default so if I overshoot, I can hit play or replay to end up about where I wanted. I often program a Commercial Skip macro consisting of 6 skip commands. You can also press the skip button several times quickly to stack them up then break out with play as needed.

The input button on the Tivo remote should do what you need. You may not need to use your Shield or PS4 as much either since Tivo has the major streaming services built in as well as the ability to stream your local video/music/photo content.
Vance14 likes this.
post #1860 of 2101 Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I used the 30 second skip with my TiVos for close to a dozen years and loved it. When the 30 second scan came out I thought I wouldn't like it. But I actually loved it more. Now I couldn't imagine going back to using the 30 second skip.
My wife liked the scan also. She is inherently nosy and wanted to see the commercials whiz by in case there was one she wanted to stop and watch -- unacceptable, so I toggled to the jump mode to remove the temptation. When she asked about it I told her TiVo disabled it.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page