Official Tablo thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #691 of 942 Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Local channels in my opinion are not worth spending all that money on hardware to schedule record them, I didn't mean to rain on your parade guys but I myself have several local HD channels as well as few clear QAM HD cable channels and I don't see the need to DVR them, they rerun shows for several weeks anyways. A premium content maybe worth doing but then the provider will have all those features in their boxes, Just my $0.02
lol. rain on our parade? ha ha.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 942 Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
lol. rain on our parade? ha ha.
Yeah, that was a really weird post. In the SF Bay Area there are a TON of great channels, some broadcasting classic shows 24/7. I may not want to be awake at some ridiculous hour for one of the series not on NetFlix/Hulu Plus/Amazon Prime, but a DVR like this can make for a nice reserve of viewing pleasure. :P

I'm fairly impressed with the Tablo, at least "on paper". I've been a TiVo user (and sometimes advocate) since my boss gave me an eval unit back in the day... 1999, that is. In fact, I created my account here then specifically so I could learn how to hack the (even then) anemic 40 hours of TV programming with bigger hard drives. I still have that unit, fully upgraded with networking, ram cache, and as much hard drive space as it was capable of handling, and at least up to about 3 years ago it was still working like a champ.

But then TiVo started getting weird about lifetime service prices and functionality. Initially TiVo let you use the box sans service; like the Tablo does now, it let you schedule recordings manually. That functionality was gone when I upgraded to my current dual tuner HD capable box.

OTA is an afterthought for tivo these days as well, which is weird considering the increase in cord cutting. :P

So idly searching about I came across the Tablo, and realized "hey, I wonder if my account on AVS is still good? I could see what people think there." An active thread is a good sign in my book -- I've only read the last few pages, but it looks like this could be my future DVR.

Thanks, y'all!
hubcityraider likes this.
post #693 of 942 Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
There was a new firmware release last night, and new software releases on all platforms to go with it.

1. No duplicates setting. As long as the metadata is identical and this setting is checked, the Tablo won't record a show that has been already recorded or is being recorded (like if you have access to 2 CBS channels, it will record only one version of the CBS show).

2. Auto delete when hard drive is near being full. It is a checkbox as well, and the user can also protect existing recordings to not be deleted automatically.

3. Auto extend live shows (like sports) and specials. It is another checkbox setting. The Tablo will automatically extend the recording length by 50% of the scheduled recording time, up to 2 hours. This seems like a decent quick fix, but I hope they come up with way to define the actual extension (like 30 min increments).

4. Resume playback for recordings. The idea is if you watch a show partially on one device and stop, you can go to another device (or the original one) and start from that save point. Initial testing by me sees that it works pretty well if the stop and start occurs on the same device, but not so good if you start on web/app and switch to a Roku.

5. Watched indicator. For iOS and web apps, you will see a blue dot by a recording that hasn't been watched, and half-filled dot for recordings that have been partially watched, and no dot by those that have been fully watched.

6. Changed Roku interface. The color scheme is better, and the channel icon has been replaced with a nicer one that has the word "Tablo" on it (rather than just a logo).

7. Improved Android app, as well as iPad app that works with iOS8.

There are some issues out there after this release, but so far I am happy about the changes.
hubcityraider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 942 Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That is indeed a very nice set of improvements in DVR functionality..
post #695 of 942 Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the kudos @snowcat .

PS - I saw your feedback in the user survey
snowcat likes this.
post #696 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So... is Tablo dead already?

The domain name expired....

post #697 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post
So... is Tablo dead already?

The domain name expired....
I can still get to the sites on my desktop, but I can't connect to it through my work PC or even my cell phone. It is failing on DNS lookup. Hopefully they will get this straightened out soon, because it does affect web Tablo users (they won't be able to use their Tablo that way).

Update: a minute after posting that, I can't connect from my home network either.
post #698 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
I can still get to the sites on my desktop, but I can't connect to it through my work PC or even my cell phone. It is failing on DNS lookup. Hopefully they will get this straightened out soon, because it does affect web Tablo users (they won't be able to use their Tablo that way).

Update: a minute after posting that, I can't connect from my home network either.
If you go to tablotv.com it tells you the domain name is expired.

But now it's back up and running.

post #699 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I still can't connect to it.

Update: I can now connect to my.tablotv.com, so I get to the Tablo itself and play recordings/watch TV. I just can't get to the forums or anything else on the Tablo website.

Last edited by snowcat; 09-26-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #700 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 AM

And it's back down for me.

post #701 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Everything is back up now.

Update: Weird stuff going on. I get to my Tablo, and I can get to the main Tablo sites (www and support). But now I can't get to the community site.

Last edited by snowcat; 09-26-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #702 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Sorry guys - we're trying to get it figured out ourselves. It's like GoDaddy knew we were leaving them and are messing with us
post #703 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post
Sorry guys - we're trying to get it figured out ourselves. It's like GoDaddy knew we were leaving them and are messing with us
Thanks for the update, @TabloTV ! I had a mild panic attack this morning when I saw the error trying to connect to your site. I just got my 4-tuner this week!
post #704 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Down for me too. tablotv.com is blank, my.tablotv.com returns a dns lookup error. Navigating to my 4-tuner's IP address still gives me the "Nuvyyo Tablo Server" so it's still doing something.

Will the Tablo still record its assigned programming during this disruption?
post #705 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post
So this little scare bring up a good point especially considering the Sony DHG and LG DVR's of yesteryear.

What exactely does lifetime subscription service mean. Say for example Tablo exits the business or worse.

Does the guide data / artwork / metadata come from Tablo servers or a third party?

How far out into the future does Tablo have legally binding agreements in place with third party suppliers to provide EPG services / metadata for their users?

Remember the Rovi TVGuide "Lifetime" service which lasted less than the lifetime of the devices which I think were suppsed to have lifetime EPG services?
post #706 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

This web site interruption will have no effect on recordings. That is all stored on the Tablo.

Tablet apps and Roku will work fine as well. It does prevent the web app from working though.

Since the Tablo supports manual recordings, Tablo users can still use the Tablo even if the company goes out of business, just without the guide data.
post #707 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
TabloTV DNS error

This is mighty interesting. My subscription expires in 3 hours. I really intended to sign up for the Lifetime Subscription, but was wondering how well this thing worked without a subscription.

I was torn between 1) signing up now to make sure I didn't miss any recordings, and 2) finding out about the non-subscription functionality. Now I intend to wait until at least tomorrow.

I am really curious to find out how well I can rely on the 1-day Guide. Now I will find out.

Last edited by kkoceski; 09-26-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Just curious - I still think this is a great device ! And the support has been quite great.
post #708 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Snowcat. I had a problem with the iPad app but it looks like Android and Roku both work. Maybe the iPad failure was a coincidence.

qz3, any time you pay up front for something to be delivered later, especially over the course of a "lifetime," you take the risk of non-performance at some point. Personally, I don't expect my "lifetime" subscription to be active 50 years hence. As a lifetime subscription owner, all I really have is the hope that Tablo will perform as promised, and I may one day have a mostly worthless claim against their estate if they go bankrupt. In a bankruptcy, Tablo/Nuvyyo/whoever's senior creditors will end up getting most of the money, the lawyers will get most of what's left, and then if we fill out all the right forms someone will send us a check for 3 or 4 dollars. Anyone who bought "lifetime" is really just hoping the company performs long enough to break even against the annual or monthly plans, and anything after that is gravy. But as Snowcat points out, you could still use the Tablo with manual controls (as long as you weren't using the web app).
post #709 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM
RTK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why is TabloTV web app dependent upon accessing TabloTV website, shouldn't it be functional standalone?
post #710 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Why is TabloTV web app dependent upon accessing TabloTV website, shouldn't it be functional standalone?
It definitely SHOULD be...or they should publish a native Windows app. There are native IOS and Android apps, both of which work great and don't require a connection to the Tablo site.

I'm willing to cut them some slack on this for now. The ecosystem they've invented for this device is amazing considering how new the device is. I've only had mine a few days and already it's an important part of our cord-cutting experience. There are lots of suggestions for improvements from users so far, and Tablo seems to be responsive to adding some of the better ideas. I really hope they survive and thrive.
post #711 of 942 Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Connectivity ?

I can access other sites ( like NewEgg ), so I know my internet connection is OK :

I get this error ( with an "OK" option ) :

There was a problem establishing an authenticated session with your Tablo. This could be due to either authentication or internet connectivity issues.
post #712 of 942 Old 09-27-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv213 View Post
It definitely SHOULD be...or they should publish a native Windows app. There are native IOS and Android apps, both of which work great and don't require a connection to the Tablo site.

I'm willing to cut them some slack on this for now. The ecosystem they've invented for this device is amazing considering how new the device is. I've only had mine a few days and already it's an important part of our cord-cutting experience. There are lots of suggestions for improvements from users so far, and Tablo seems to be responsive to adding some of the better ideas. I really hope they survive and thrive.
Agreed-they are very responsive and listen to their customers-unlike many companies who thik they know better.
I hope they survive too and look forward to the improvements they make in the software and perhaps evolution of the hardware.
Since I am in moving mode and packing things up, I have not even opened my 4 tuner unit I received as part of the pre-order group!

If they are unable to provide a native Win32 application, then the web app should be hosted on the Tablo device itself, NOT the companies servers!
mv213 likes this.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 09-27-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #713 of 942 Old 09-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Liked: 2
Tablo is doing great . . . . . , but I have just tried to do some manual recordings and find that the time is off by one hour. I am in AZ so not using DST may be the problem. I have looked everywhere to try and find a clock to set, but can't find a place to set my time correctly. The hour off can be very confusing and means that I will miss a 1hour show completely. Would appreciate any help with this problem.
mv213 likes this.
post #714 of 942 Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 AM

The tablotv.com site is back up.
post #715 of 942 Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsmith02 View Post
Tablo is doing great . . . . . , but I have just tried to do some manual recordings and find that the time is off by one hour. I am in AZ so not using DST may be the problem. I have looked everywhere to try and find a clock to set, but can't find a place to set my time correctly. The hour off can be very confusing and means that I will miss a 1hour show completely. Would appreciate any help with this problem.
I think I would open a ticket with Tablo support on this issue. I don't see any way to set time on the device or whether or not to use DST.
jnsmith02 likes this.
post #716 of 942 Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsmith02 View Post
Likely Tablo's database has your zipcode in the wrong time zone. If you are close to the Nevada or California border and can use a zipcode from there, it may fix your off bu 1 hout issue? Tablo does need to fix this themselves.

Bad/in-accessible clocks have made several devices worthless after the manufacturer decides they have moved on and dont need to support their customers anymore. The Tablo also should have a customer settable clock such that when they have moved on and stop providing guide data, us owners can rely on PSIP guide data and/or clock data.
mv213 and jnsmith02 like this.
post #717 of 942 Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Bad/in-accessible clocks have made several devices worthless after the manufacturer decides they have moved on and dont need to support their customers anymore. The Tablo also should have a customer settable clock such that when they have moved on and stop providing guide data, us owners can rely on PSIP guide data and/or clock data.
Especially after the change in DST start and end dates a few years back. Where I work we had about 250 kiosks around the state that would have the time off by an hour for several days in the spring and fall after the dates changed. No way to fix them, until they were finally replaced a couple of years later.
post #718 of 942 Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM

@jnsmith02 - The time is based on your device's settings, not Tablo's. Double check that you have the correct time and if it still seems fishy please place a ticket with support. We'll get it figured out for you.

And thanks to you all for your understanding and patience this weekend!
post #719 of 942 Old 09-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Likely Tablo's database has your zipcode in the wrong time zone. If you are close to the Nevada or California border and can use a zipcode from there, it may fix your off bu 1 hout issue? Tablo does need to fix this themselves.

Thanks for the feedback. I live in a suburb of Phoenix so its close to the center of the state. I did try using the central Phoenix zip code to see if it makes any difference and it still is off an hour in the manual record box. I assume that if I use a zip code further east to change the hour off that it will not find any channels and will not come up with a program guide. (fyi - My current program guide is correct with time - it is only the manual record time box that is off by an hour) This makes me think it is some kind of programing problem that might be easy to fix.

I did file a support ticket with Tablo so we will see what they say.
post #720 of 942 Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I really want to like the Tablo, and these firmware updates sound great, but I still can't picture how it would work to record/playback anything other than say PBS. Hoping Tablo owners can clarify.

I understand when you're watching live TV and you change the channel, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer and start playing. But does Tablo buffer playback of recorded TV also? In other words, when you fast forward over a commercial break, does the Tablo have to re-buffer the stream? How long does that buffering take (on a Roku)?

How does commercial seek work for you? I've read there is no FF/RW preview. Is there at least an option to skip ahead 30 or 60 seconds? If you have to fast forward when the commercials start, wait for it to buffer, and repeat until you finally get past all the commercials, I can't see Tablo as very practical for watching the big game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page