Official Tablo thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #901 of 945 Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Tablo 4-tuner model, and have the same signal strength issue that others have reported.

I've put separate, identical antennas (Mohu Leaf) on the TV and Tablo. My thought was to watch live TV on the Samsung, and only use the Tablo for time-shifting.

I'm not happy with picture quality for any of the "live" streaming services I have tried SlingTV, Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live TV so far - of those Playstation Vue has the best picture quality. I've yet to test Direct TV Now. I cannot live with the UI of either Playstation Vue or Hulu Live, though. Frankly, I would forget the "cable channels" altogether and save $40/mo if it weren't for CNN. Maybe it's just time to admit that CNN doesn't really provide the best news - just endless repeats whenever something "big" happens... I will miss you, Anthony Bordain!

Anyway, my Samsung TV receives all of the same channels reliably. The Tablo tears and has gaps/scrambled sound on quite a few channels.

I suppose it makes sense that any multi-tuner model is going to have some issues with signal strength. But they SHOULD have an internal amp (do they?) if they are going to split the signal 4 ways. That is going to incur some noise, though. A purist would call for 4 separate antenna inputs!

I'm guessing I need a 6db bump in signal strength.

I cannot put anything outdoors. I am in a highrise condo (ok, "high rise" for 1927!), near downtown San Diego. I threw the Mohu Leaf for the TV under the sofa, near a window. It doesn't seem to matter where I put it. I see neighbors with them in the windows, I hate that!

For the Tablo, I've stuck the antenna high in my office behind some shelving where it can be hidden. The Tablo is in my server rack. It's a few feet from a window.

The building is steel/reinforced concrete construction, but the outside walls are i think pretty transparent to RF. They are terra cotta brick (thin wall hollow brick), a somewhat unique building material used in S. California for the first part of the 20th century. 3rd floor on a hill facing S, which is where most of the transmitters here are. (Or in most cases at least have relays in that direction.)

Suggestions? Maybe best to avoid an active antenna, and just get a larger non-amped flat antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 945 Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
tablo is awesome! good price too. we've been running a Tablo 4-tuner for 8 days with attic yagi at long distance and low elevation and loving it so far. signal strength issues may be no worse than what i'd seen previously for ota, which means a cable subscription is required too.

i put the tablo in the attic with the antenna so its only a 6 foot cable run, no amp so far. an amp can help but cannot overcome certain weather conditions for certain channels. unsightly hard wire runs from tablo to awesome moto cable-modem and moto ac1900 wifi-router-hub and moto moco modems for the moxi-mate.

j'aime le tablo. tablo is a strong recommend so far.

we also have moxi & 2 moxi mates with one comcast cablecard and it gets heavy heavy use, has plenty of known-issues while also remaining a gem of a product which the manufacturer did great job with and has not orphaned (hooray!), basic functionality still works great/same as ever - but no HD for HBO/etc.
post #903 of 945 Old 03-22-2018, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello all, I have a question about set up for a Tablo 4 tuner box. We currently have Dish Network, and thinking about cutting the cord. We need the ability to DVR many OTA channels and shows.

It says that you should connect the Tablo to the home router via cat5 cable, for the best results.

Well I don't have a antenna coax close to where the router is. Router is upstairs in the center hallway, and generally speaking, we get great to good WIFI streaming throughout the house, and outside patio area. I do however have a hardwired Netgear Prosafe 8 port gig switch in our downstairs office, which also has a coax cable that is hooked to our CM 4228 outdoor antenna on the roof. We get very good signal throughout the house on any tv connected to the antenna. So if I connect the Tablo to the Netgear switch and the antenna cable in the office, will it feed to the router upstairs and then to any or all devices throughout the home?

Please help, and thank you in advance, for any good info you provide.

Sharp Aquos LC-70C6400U Marantz SR-7009 Marantz MM-7025 Audio Technica AT-LP60SPBT-BK Polk Monitor 70 fronts, Monitor 50 Rears, CS2 Center HTD HD-R80 Top center (X2) HTD HD-W80 Tops (X6) Sunfire HRS-10 Yamaha YST-SW215
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 945 Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGR32276 View Post
Hello all, I have a question about set up for a Tablo 4 tuner box. We currently have Dish Network, and thinking about cutting the cord. We need the ability to DVR many OTA channels and shows.

It says that you should connect the Tablo to the home router via cat5 cable, for the best results.

Well I don't have a antenna coax close to where the router is. Router is upstairs in the center hallway, and generally speaking, we get great to good WIFI streaming throughout the house, and outside patio area. I do however have a hardwired Netgear Prosafe 8 port gig switch in our downstairs office, which also has a coax cable that is hooked to our CM 4228 outdoor antenna on the roof. We get very good signal throughout the house on any tv connected to the antenna. So if I connect the Tablo to the Netgear switch and the antenna cable in the office, will it feed to the router upstairs and then to any or all devices throughout the home?

Please help, and thank you in advance, for any good info you provide.
I have the Tablo 4 tuner and don't have it hooked up to an ethernet cable and don't have any problems. I don't know why having a ethernet cable makes a difference? Your antenna hooks up directly to the tablo tuner and you can access the tablo app through a device, such as a roku or an apple tv. so if you are able to get a good wifi signal to one of those devices, you shouldn't have a problem.
post #905 of 945 Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcut View Post
I have the Tablo 4 tuner and don't have it hooked up to an ethernet cable and don't have any problems. I don't know why having a ethernet cable makes a difference? Your antenna hooks up directly to the tablo tuner and you can access the tablo app through a device, such as a roku or an apple tv. so if you are able to get a good wifi signal to one of those devices, you shouldn't have a problem.
I have my 4-tuner Tablo connected to Eithernet over power connector to my router. I also use the same EoP devices for each of my 4 Apple TVs (4G).

Works great.

post #906 of 945 Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Message to Tablo: I will never buy any device that takes a digital signal with 5.1 sound (OTA TV) and reduces it to 2 ch. before presenting it to the user.
post #907 of 945 Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a question for some of the Tablo users, I'm stuck where 3mg DSL is my only option for internet, can I still use the Tablo unit if Its connected with all my displays to the router its self, ie will the actullal programing be able to travel over the cat6 conections and the internet speed only impact the guide downloading , ect.?
post #908 of 945 Old 04-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardvark View Post
I have a question for some of the Tablo users, I'm stuck where 3mg DSL is my only option for internet, can I still use the Tablo unit if Its connected with all my displays to the router its self, ie will the actullal programing be able to travel over the cat6 conections and the internet speed only impact the guide downloading , ect.?
The Tablo will only eat up bandwidth on your LAN within your home. It will not take any bandwidth away from your DSL. Exception being guide info, movie and show thumbnails, etc with the app itself...

Adam
post #909 of 945 Old 05-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Got Tablo Tuner for my nVidia Shield. Got all the way to 'Your Location'. Tried saving location, keeps coming up 'Error Saving Location'. I'm stuck here and don't know what to do. (Support is closed til tomorrow AM).

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800, Tablo TUNER, nVidia Shield Pro
post #910 of 945 Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
Got Tablo Tuner for my nVidia Shield. Got all the way to 'Your Location'. Tried saving location, keeps coming up 'Error Saving Location'. I'm stuck here and don't know what to do. (Support is closed til tomorrow AM).

It has been awhile since I set my Tablo up but I recall it not liking my location, either. I don't remember the error message but I was able to get the guide, etc by using my city's other zip code. Mine ended in 80 and the other one ended in 81 and 81 worked. So if you have a nearby zip code, that might work for you, too.
post #911 of 945 Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyboy115 View Post
It has been awhile since I set my Tablo up but I recall it not liking my location, either. I don't remember the error message but I was able to get the guide, etc by using my city's other zip code. Mine ended in 80 and the other one ended in 81 and 81 worked. So if you have a nearby zip code, that might work for you, too.
Thanks, I will try that.

Pioneer Elite SC-99, Pioneer Elite A-20, Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
post #912 of 945 Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Oh my, there are 36 zip codes in my city. This may take awhile.

post #913 of 945 Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Oh well, so much for that. Will wait for their support to open tomorrow AM.

post #914 of 945 Old 05-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Oh well, so much for that. Will wait for their support to open tomorrow AM.
Let us know what you find out, please!
post #915 of 945 Old 05-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let us know what you find out, please!
Well, I got home from work and tried again. Worked like a charm. ? Hell if I know.

post #916 of 945 Old 05-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Well, I got home from work and tried again. Worked like a charm. ? Hell if I know.
Ah...I am glad that you got it working.

I have had a few weird things happen with my Tablo, too. My latest is that sometimes when I delete a recorded show it will lock-up and you can't do anything until I go into my Fire TV settings and stop the Tablo app and restart it. I have a Roku, too, but so far I don't watch the Tablo much from the Roku. I will have to see if the lock-up happens with that device, too, I guess.

Despite a hiccup here and there, I do really like my Tablo.
post #917 of 945 Old 05-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ah...I am glad that you got it working.

I have had a few weird things happen with my Tablo, too. My latest is that sometimes when I delete a recorded show it will lock-up and you can't do anything until I go into my Fire TV settings and stop the Tablo app and restart it. I have a Roku, too, but so far I don't watch the Tablo much from the Roku. I will have to see if the lock-up happens with that device, too, I guess.

Despite a hiccup here and there, I do really like my Tablo.
Well, my new antenna was here when I got home (ClearStream 4MAX). Boy, I'm getting 40 more channels (64 total). I'm also getting 5.1 sound on some channels. Sure glad I researched the web before I bought a Tivo or something. This Tablo/Shield combo is a brilliant idea. So far, very impressed. Probably better give it at least another week before I go for the lifetime guide.
Frostyboy115 likes this.

post #918 of 945 Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just purchased a Tablo 2 Tuner refurb for 89.99 + 13.50 = 103.49

Looking for a suitable 2.5" HDD to use with it (I know a 5400rpm drive would be suitable).

Looking at Seagate, WD, or Toshiba.

Which ones do you know work well with the Tablo?

Thanks!

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #919 of 945 Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Just purchased a Tablo 2 Tuner refurb for 89.99 + 13.50 = 103.49

Looking for a suitable 2.5" HDD to use with it (I know a 5400rpm drive would be suitable).

Looking at Seagate, WD, or Toshiba.

Which ones do you know work well with the Tablo?

Thanks!
Just looking at tablotv.com and their website suggests wd elements and Seagate expansion.
post #920 of 945 Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Message to Tablo: I will never buy any device that takes a digital signal with 5.1 sound (OTA TV) and reduces it to 2 ch. before presenting it to the user.
Added 5.1 in update this summer, according to website.
post #921 of 945 Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased a used 4 tuner Tablo DVR from Amazon for $115 plus $89 for a 4 TB USB drive, updated the firmware for 5.1 sound, paid about $50 for an annual subscription to the TV guide and it has worked perfectly. The picture quality is great for all of the Atlanta TV channels and subchannels. I generally use Roku to access it and display live TV or recorded TV and to set up recordings. Very satisfied with it!
_spasm_ and Frostyboy115 like this.
post #922 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I recently heard about Tablo's new Quad OTA DVR coming out and that they now support Dolby 5.1 surround sound, and so I've been researching their product again. I came across this review from April 2018 that was discouraging:

Quote:
As with Tablo's other networked tuners, the Dual Live can only play interlaced channels at 30 frames per second. If a station broadcasts at 480i or 1080i, playback won't look as smooth compared to direct antenna input. Tablo is capable of 60-frames-per-second video on 720p channels, though you'll need to visit the settings menu and select the highest playback quality setting to enable this.
Anyone know if this is (still) the case with all Tablo DVR units? I don't want to sacrifice picture quality if at all possible.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #923 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by capo4u View Post
I recently heard about Tablo's new Quad OTA DVR coming out and that they now support Dolby 5.1 surround sound, and so I've been researching their product again. I came across this review from April 2018 that was discouraging:

Anyone know if this is (still) the case with all Tablo DVR units? I don't want to sacrifice picture quality if at all possible.
I've been using my Tablo for about 18 months and yes you can lose a small amount of PQ but you really have to be looking for it and then it is only noticeable on sports like Hockey or Basketball. I never notice it for it in regular TV shows. That said the picture is better than the Locals that Dish would rebroadcast across the satellite.

There is even a client that works on my Sony 75X900e AndroidTV, no external streamer needed.

The 5.1 sound was a firmware upgrade for all existing units and works very well. This is one of the best thing about Tablo is they are continually releasing firmware upgrades for units in the field, Tablo has started talking about the next firmware upgrade enabling commercial skipping.

I previously had a Hopper3 DVR with my Dish sub that I cancelled and would definitely recommend the Tablo as an OTA DVR for cord cutters.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 01-23-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #924 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I've been using my Tablo for about 18 months and yes you can lose a small amount of PQ but you really have to be looking for it and then it is only noticeable on sports like Hockey or Basketball. I never notice it for it in regular TV shows. That said the picture is better than the Locals that Dish would rebroadcast across the satellite.

There is even a client that works on my Sony 75X900e AndroidTV, no external streamer needed.

The 5.1 sound was a firmware upgrade for all existing units and works very well. This is one of the best thing about Tablo is they are continually releasing firmware upgrades for units in the field, Tablo has started talking about the next firmware upgrade enabling commercial skipping.

I previously had a Hopper3 DVR with my Dish sub that I cancelled and would definitely recommend the Tablo as an OTA DVR for cord cutters.
Thanks. I actually just did some research on the issue, and now I'm not sure why the reviewer in the article I quoted highlighted 1080i/30fps as an issue. The broadcasters that use 720p (ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc.) use 60fps while the broadcasters that use 1080i (NBC, CBS, etc.) use 30fps. So, as far as I can tell, the Tablo is playing the interlaced content at the same frame rate as the native broadcast.

The slight decrease in the picture quality you've noted would probably be an effect of the transcoding from the OTA broadcast to the compressed H.264 standard employed by Tablo (and a lot of other streaming technologies).

After a research overload, now my trepidation in going with Tablo is the new ATSC 3.0 standard that is currently being evaluated in limited markets. Wouldn't want my new 4-tuner (ATSC 1.0) DVR to be outdated shortly after purchase.

post #925 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Without a mandate, stations might not bother spending the money upgrading to 3.0. It's easy to see the end result of this being no stations, or not enough stations, agree to the costly upgrades in equipment that ATSC 3.0 entails. If that happens, ATSC 3.0 is dead before it starts, or at best, languishes for years until a less-regulation-averse FCC makes the transition mandatory. ATSC 3.0 is being tested in a few limited markets such as Phoenix, Dallas, Cleveland and Raleigh. It will be at least a couple of years before we see if the industry is going to make voluntary upgrades or not.
post #926 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I actually just did some research on the issue, and now I'm not sure why the reviewer in the article I quoted highlighted 1080i/30fps as an issue. The broadcasters that use 720p (ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc.) use 60fps while the broadcasters that use 1080i (NBC, CBS, etc.) use 30fps. So, as far as I can tell, the Tablo is playing the interlaced content at the same frame rate as the native broadcast.

The slight decrease in the picture quality you've noted would probably be an effect of the transcoding from the OTA broadcast to the compressed H.264 standard employed by Tablo (and a lot of other streaming technologies).

After a research overload, now my trepidation in going with Tablo is the new ATSC 3.0 standard that is currently being evaluated in limited markets. Wouldn't want my new 4-tuner (ATSC 1.0) DVR to be outdated shortly after purchase.
I have to agree with richart, ATSC 3.0 is not a government mandate like ATSC 1.0 was. It will be several years before any station converts to ATSC 3.0 as its only broadcast. At this point its not worth deferring any device with an OTA turner solely because of ATSC 3.0 but as always that is just IMO and YMMV

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #927 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Without a mandate, stations might not bother spending the money upgrading to 3.0. It's easy to see the end result of this being no stations, or not enough stations, agree to the costly upgrades in equipment that ATSC 3.0 entails. If that happens, ATSC 3.0 is dead before it starts, or at best, languishes for years until a less-regulation-averse FCC makes the transition mandatory. ATSC 3.0 is being tested in a few limited markets such as Phoenix, Dallas, Cleveland and Raleigh. It will be at least a couple of years before we see if the industry is going to make voluntary upgrades or not.
Quote:
I have to agree with richart, ATSC 3.0 is not a government mandate like ATSC 1.0 was. It will be several years before any station converts to ATSC 3.0 as its only broadcast. At this point its not worth deferring any device with an OTA turner solely because of ATSC 3.0 but as always that is just IMO and YMMV
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm just on my annual-ish foray into cutting the cable for good. How these forays have worked in prior years is that I comparison shop all the different alternatives, test out some of the new technologies, figure out the issues that are dealbreakers for either me or my wife, and then shelf the idea going back to DirecTV for a while. It's getting to the point where there's not much reason to hold back anymore, assuming the new technologies work as well as they appear to.

post #928 of 945 Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm just on my annual-ish foray into cutting the cable for good. How these forays have worked in prior years is that I comparison shop all the different alternatives, test out some of the new technologies, figure out the issues that are dealbreakers for either me or my wife, and then shelf the idea going back to DirecTV for a while. It's getting to the point where there's not much reason to hold back anymore, assuming the new technologies work as well as they appear to.
I'm with you, right now I have Dish on pause, $5 per month, trying out the cord-cutters life. With the NHL.TV package the only thing I have been missing is NFL football that was on payTV only aka ESPN. Think I might actually cancel Dish for good this time around.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #929 of 945 Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I'm with you, right now I have Dish on pause, $5 per month, trying out the cord-cutters life. With the NHL.TV package the only thing I have been missing is NFL football that was on payTV only aka ESPN. Think I might actually cancel Dish for good this time around.
We dropped DirecTV a few years ago and went to OTA TV with a DVR, plus Hulu and Netflix, and we've never looked back. We love it and the initial investment for DVR and antenna has repaid itself many times over. I'm not a big TV sports fan so ESPN was not an issue, but at least ESPN is available via streaming for those that need it.
post #930 of 945 Old 01-24-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
We dropped DirecTV a few years ago and went to OTA TV with a DVR, plus Hulu and Netflix, and we've never looked back. We love it and the initial investment for DVR and antenna has repaid itself many times over. I'm not a big TV sports fan so ESPN was not an issue, but at least ESPN is available via streaming for those that need it.
ESPN is available but mostly in the more expensive packages and that kind of defeats the purpose of cord cutting. I've been getting by with Amazon prime, Netflix, NHL.TV, and MLB.TV. The last two I had before cutting the cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page