Official Tablo thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #931 of 945 Old 01-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
We dropped DirecTV a few years ago and went to OTA TV with a DVR, plus Hulu and Netflix, and we've never looked back. We love it and the initial investment for DVR and antenna has repaid itself many times over. I'm not a big TV sports fan so ESPN was not an issue, but at least ESPN is available via streaming for those that need it.
Cord cutting would be so much easier if not for my addiction to BYU football and basketball. Fortunately, the BYUtv channel - available for free on Roku, Apple TV, etc. - broadcasts, in high definition, most of the basketball games and some of the football games. Unfortunately, I'm still beholden to pay TV for the best games - ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, etc.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 945 Old 01-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Never really had cable, but I can see the allure of sports being one of the biggest reasons to have cable. Thankfully, I'm only an NFL fan and I can (still) record my preferred games OTA with the original Tablo 2 channel DVR.
post #933 of 945 Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Anyone here tried both Tablo and Airtv? Trying to decide, they appear to do the same. From some posts I've read, Tablo buffers longer to tune a channel. Just wanting a better guide (guest friendly) for OTA channels. I don't have Sling, but it's not required for Airtv, just seems to make the guide more clunky. I may just but a second flat antenna for second tv, but like the idea of whole house DVR and remote watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 945 Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Anyone here tried both Tablo and Airtv? Trying to decide, they appear to do the same. From some posts I've read, Tablo buffers longer to tune a channel. Just wanting a better guide (guest friendly) for OTA channels. I don't have Sling, but it's not required for Airtv, just seems to make the guide more clunky. I may just but a second flat antenna for second tv, but like the idea of whole house DVR and remote watching.

I have neither, but I understand the AirTV with DVR has some issues with series recordings (Season Passes) working properly at the moment.
post #935 of 945 Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
The new Tablo Quad is now available.
ncted likes this.

Spoiler!
post #936 of 945 Old 04-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tablo quad dvr

Looking to get the Tablo Quad. I've been using the DVR+ for 3+ years and the loss of SlingTV and EOL of the DVR+ will force me to move on again. Does the Tablo support SlingTV (even without recording)? Thanks
JSutton
post #937 of 945 Old 04-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Nope. The closest to get to what you're describing would be to look at AirTV.
post #938 of 945 Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Nope. The closest to get to what you're describing would be to look at AirTV.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
post #939 of 945 Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Received the Tablo Dual lite today (the $99 special). All set up without issue. Actually picked up a few more channels than the TV tuner. A couple problems, mainly buffering. Buffers for 2 or 3 seconds about every minute of two.

I have the Tablo hard wired to Linksys router (that's acting as an access point), that is hard wired to my main router. I get 200mbps on my phone near the main router, but only 15-20 near the access point. I use a Roku2 at the TV near the access point and Tablo.

Is the buffering from the older Roku, or the slower access point? Anyone know why the access point is so slow?

Edit: Decided to try wireless rather than wired to AP. Seems to have removed buffers issues. Weird. Roku2 is definitely slower than my Ultra in the main room. Moving around the guide is about 3x quicker with the ultra! Recorded a show to an old HD with no issues. Pretty nice!

If I don't subscribe in 30 days to the guide, is the guide the same, just 2 days rather than 14? Can still record to local HD, right? Since this is mainly for 2 guest TVs, not worth spending money on the guide.
ncted likes this.

Last edited by tcat; 05-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #940 of 945 Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Received the Tablo Dual lite today (the $99 special). All set up without issue. Actually picked up a few more channels than the TV tuner. A couple problems, mainly buffering. Buffers for 2 or 3 seconds about every minute of two.

I have the Tablo hard wired to Linksys router (that's acting as an access point), that is hard wired to my main router. I get 200mbps on my phone near the main router, but only 15-20 near the access point. I use a Roku2 at the TV near the access point and Tablo.

Is the buffering from the older Roku, or the slower access point? Anyone know why the access point is so slow?

Edit: Decided to try wireless rather than wired to AP. Seems to have removed buffers issues. Weird. Roku2 is definitely slower than my Ultra in the main room. Moving around the guide is about 3x quicker with the ultra! Recorded a show to an old HD with no issues. Pretty nice!
I am impressed the Roku2 is still usable. Clearly the issue for you was the router acting as an access point. It seems odd that was all you could get through it, but I guess it depends on how old the router is.
post #941 of 945 Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoke too soon. Still getting buffering about every minute or two. The buffering lasts almost as long as normal playback. Have it set on 720 (3mbps), and get at least 15 Mbps over WiFi in the room with Tablo. Going to try plugging it into main router today to see if that helps, if not it's going back. Airtv on sale, may try that.

Edit:. After moving router and switch around and rebooting everything, I have 40mbps in Tablo area. Hard wired it, and buffers every 30 seconds with Roku2, no buffering at all with Ultra. Definitely a Roku issue, time for a new one! (Actually it's a Roku1 not 2)

Last edited by tcat; 05-05-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #942 of 945 Old 05-05-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(Actually it's a Roku1 not 2)
post #943 of 945 Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Got an interesting question been thinking about putting this in my home as the only thing we watch on local channels is football and sports. Was wondering how the live tv and pause play rewind work on these? And also was wondering if you can watch a game when traveling or is blocked out somehow? I live in Denver and travel quite a bit, would I be able to pickup the game live say in Phoenix or is there some kind of restriction put on this by Tablo?
post #944 of 945 Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJKUR View Post
Got an interesting question been thinking about putting this in my home as the only thing we watch on local channels is football and sports. Was wondering how the live tv and pause play rewind work on these? And also was wondering if you can watch a game when traveling or is blocked out somehow? I live in Denver and travel quite a bit, would I be able to pickup the game live say in Phoenix or is there some kind of restriction put on this by Tablo?
No BO restrictions when you travel. The one caveat is you do need decent bandwidth up to enable usage.

The Tablo works as a streaming server that connects through an app that is loaded on your Roku/Phone/AndroidTV, there is NO HDMI connection, meaning you can locate it anywhere in the house as long as you can get an antenna connected to it.

Pause/Play/Rewind is based on thumbnails that are automatically created as the recording is made.

I've had mine for 2+ years and do not hesitate to recommend to anyone, my most common use is football/hockey and soccer.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #945 of 945 Old 11-16-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
No BO restrictions when you travel. The one caveat is you do need decent bandwidth up to enable usage.

The Tablo works as a streaming server that connects through an app that is loaded on your Roku/Phone/AndroidTV, there is NO HDMI connection, meaning you can locate it anywhere in the house as long as you can get an antenna connected to it.

Pause/Play/Rewind is based on thumbnails that are automatically created as the recording is made.

I've had mine for 2+ years and do not hesitate to recommend to anyone, my most common use is football/hockey and soccer.
After reading this review decided to go to Best Buy and Walmart to get this setup. Its working fantastically! So glad I didn't spend money on a TiVo. Looking forward to Sunday and see how this works on with football.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders