TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 987Likes

post #3031 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by tustinfarm View Post
Are there any amateur radio folks here that have experienced problems with the Tivo OTA rebooting when transmitting on HF bands like 40 and 80 meters, i.i. 3.7 and 14 MHz? I have had this happen with a couple of my Tivo units, and before I spend hours of time trying filters, etc I decided I would start by posting here, on the chance that I am not alone and this had already been discussed/solved. I will post a similar query in some of the other forums.
Try here: https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php

Also: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...reboot.560307/

NOT here: https://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

Quote:
Are there any amateur radio folks here that have experienced problems with the Tivo OTA rebooting...
I am an amateur radio operator, BUT not currently active on HF. We have just one TiVo Roamio OTA DVR. Physically, how far apart is the transceiver, the antenna, and the TiVo Roamio OTA DVR? Also, is the TiVo Roamio OTA DVR connected to an outside antenna? If so, how far apart are the HF antenna and the TV antenna?

Have you tried toroid chokes yet?

Jim
JS
post #3033 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I am an amateur radio operator, BUT not currently active on HF. We have just one TiVo Roamio OTA DVR. Physically, how far apart is the transceiver, the antenna, and the TiVo Roamio OTA DVR? Also, is the TiVo Roamio OTA DVR connected to an outside antenna? If so, how far apart are the HF antenna and the TV antenna?

Have you tried toroid chokes yet?

Jim
JS
Jim,

The transceiver has 50 foot RG8x line to HF antenna feed point. Tivo is about 75 foot RG-6 line to a distribution amp. As mentioned, the fact that the feed point for the HF antenna is only about 10 feet from the backside of my VHF/UHF stack is really tempting fate. And on top of that, the RG-6 coax feed line for the Tivo runs roughly parallel to the wire HF antenna that is about 15-25 feet away...perfect for the coax shield to pick up some RF!

Toroid chokes are my next step....I just did some testing on 40/80m bands with coax disconnected from the Tivo and that prevented the reboot...so seems to me that looping the coax through toroid(s) MIGHT just cure my problem...at least at the 10W HF output level. I am highly motivated to solve my problem, given the mayhem that missed or interrupted DVR recordings can cause in a household, lol.

Bruce
KX4AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Are there any amateur radio folks here that have experienced problems with the Tivo OTA rebooting when transmitting on HF bands like 40 and 80 meters, i.i. 3.7 and 14 MHz? I have had this happen with a couple of my Tivo units, and before I spend hours of time trying filters, etc I decided I would start by posting here, on the chance that I am not alone and this had already been discussed/solved. I will post a similar query in some of the other forums.
I don't have a Tivo OTA yet (thinking about getting one) but I have had some experience with RFI to other consumer gear. Every situation can be different and you could have RF getting into the device on any or all of the cables connected to the device. Mix 31 ferrite cores are often used to resolve problems. I usually use a ferrite core on each wire lead attached to the problem device and loop several turns of the wire lead looped around the core. For a coaxial cable I usually use several ferrite beads or clamp on ferrite cores on the cable adjacent to the coaxial connector. Palomar Engineers is a great source of a wide variety of ferrite cores, beads, etc. Mix 31 would prove best for eliminating interference from the HF bands.

What type of antenna are you using with your Tivo? Where is it mounted in relation to your HF antenna? How much power are you running on HF? What modes do you normally work? Are your antennas fed with coax or open wire feeders?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160116_090549146.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	2442428   Click image for larger version

Name:	W2DU-diagram.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2442430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit-105-Installed-with-title.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2442432   Click image for larger version

Name:	zmf-700a4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	2442434  
post #3035 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I don't have a Tivo OTA yet (thinking about getting one) but I have had some experience with RFI to other consumer gear. Every situation can be different and you could have RF getting into the device on any or all of the cables connected to the device. Mix 31 ferrite cores are often used to resolve problems. I usually use a ferrite core on each wire lead attached to the problem device and loop several turns of the wire lead looped around the core. For a coaxial cable I usually use several ferrite beads or clamp on ferrite cores on the cable adjacent to the coaxial connector. Palomar Engineers is a great source of a wide variety of ferrite cores, beads, etc. Mix 31 would prove best for eliminating interference from the HF bands.

What type of antenna are you using with your Tivo? Where is it mounted in relation to your HF antenna? How much power are you running on HF? What modes do you normally work? Are your antennas fed with coax or open wire feeders?
Thanks for the information, and yes the clamp on ferrite cores are where my focus will be....once I locate the whole bag of 'em I have laying around here somewhere(!). My Tivo is fed by a "stack" of 91XG (UHF) and 30-2476 (hi-VHF), into dual input RCA preamp, eventually followed by a 4-way distribution amp, all with quad shield RG-6. HF antenna (end fed half wave for 80-10m) is 10 feet away and perpendicular to the TV antenna stack, and fed by RG8x coax. I mainly run FT8 mode on 80/40/20m, and 10W power output. Since I discovered that disconnecting the RG-6 into the Tivo seemed to prevent a reboot, that's where the ferrite core(s) will go first.
post #3036 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

Quote:
Thanks for the information, and yes the clamp on ferrite cores are where my focus will be....once I locate the whole bag of 'em I have laying around here somewhere(!). My Tivo is fed by a "stack" of 91XG (UHF) and 30-2476 (hi-VHF), into dual input RCA preamp, eventually followed by a 4-way distribution amp, all with quad shield RG-6. HF antenna (end fed half wave for 80-10m) is 10 feet away and perpendicular to the TV antenna stack, and fed by RG8x coax. I mainly run FT8 mode on 80/40/20m, and 10W power output. Since I discovered that disconnecting the RG-6 into the Tivo seemed to prevent a reboot, that's where the ferrite core(s) will go first.

Good luck. At one time I had three bands in a mobile environment. When I would key up on 10 meters, FM, the transmitter would remain transmitting, even after I released the PTT (Push To Talk) switch. Someone suggested that I had to "break the loop" by using ferrite chokes. This was so long ago, that I drove to my local Radio Shack and bought some. They were rectangular and had plastic around them so they could wrap around and them click in place. They did the trick!
post #3037 of 3363 Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Hopefully a few clamp on ferrites on the RG-6 will resolve that problem for you.

If not you might want to take a look at the RG-8X feeding the end-fed half wave. An end fed antenna can often have a lot of common-mode current flowing on the shield. Most end fed antennas will have an impedence matching device to match the high impedence of the end fed antenna to the coax. However you will often need a choke or line isolator between that matching device and the coax to stop common-mode current on the shield.
post #3038 of 3363 Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Roamio VOX OTA is presently showing as Out Of Stock on the TiVo store.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Is this temporary, or are they expecting a model upgrade? Any rumors?

I was prepping to buy one to replace my DVR+, and noticed this...

Thanks,

Scott
post #3039 of 3363 Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just ordered one

I just ordered yesterday a reman Tivo Roamio OTA from the "outlet", shipped today.....

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #3040 of 3363 Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
I just ordered yesterday a reman Tivo Roamio OTA from the "outlet", shipped today.....
Congrats and best wishes. My wife and I have enjoyed ours since February. It has worked well for us.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
post #3041 of 3363 Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Is this temporary, or are they expecting a model upgrade? Any rumors?

I was prepping to buy one to replace my DVR+, and noticed this...

Thanks,

Scott
Nah ...

Definitely don't see any new Roamio models coming ...

But you can get them off Amazon right now for $399.00 (1 TB model with vox and all in).

Which is where I just got my latest one a month ago. Though it was on sale for $349.00 at the time.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #3042 of 3363 Old 08-24-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Questions on TiVo Roamio

Does the Roamio include an app for PlayStation Vue?
Does the Roamio guide combine the channels from the OTA antenna and your streaming service (PSVue)?
Can you record from both OTA and PSVue?

Thanks!
Len
post #3043 of 3363 Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Does the Roamio guide combine the channels from the OTA antenna and your streaming service (PSVue)?
Can you record from both OTA and PSVue?
Thanks!
Len
No
No
No
It is high on many wish lists. BTW, recording content locally from a streaming service is virtually unheard of.
post #3044 of 3363 Old 08-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
No ...

Quote:
...Does the Roamio guide combine the channels from the OTA antenna and your streaming service (PSVue)?
No, but you can select the option to display steaming sources when you setup "One Pass" recordings, "Wish Lists,: or in the results of searching for shows.

Quote:
...Can you record from both OTA and PSVue?

Thanks!
Len
No, nor can any other streaming source be integrated into the live TV guide.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #3045 of 3363 Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes to market in the coming months in terms of an OTA-only TiVo DVR. TiVo recently stated that they're getting out of direct participation in the hardware market. Instead, they've now lined up a consumer electronics hardware manufacturing partner who will be in charge of getting future boxes produced and sold through various distribution channels. TiVo's online store will simply be one of those reseller channels (along with other places like Amazon, BestBuy, etc., which TiVo itself will have nothing to do with). But the boxes themselves will still be branded with the TiVo logo. So from a consumer perspective, it will still be a "TiVo" even though I guess the small print on the box will say that it's manufactured by Arris or whomever.

But the big question is whether this new hardware partner will just take existing TiVo designs -- such as the Roamio Vox OTA -- and churn out more of them, or will they put out their own newly designed DVRs? Maybe they'll keep some models as-is, replace others and completely kill off some without replacement. Who knows. Also, I wonder how they'll address pricing on future OTA-only DVRs (assuming there are any). For awhile now, TiVo has only priced their OTA DVR with lifetime service included. But going forward, hardware pricing and profits will go to the other company while TiVo will only be responsible for the ongoing service.

At any rate, as someone said above, it looks like TiVo's online outlet still has some refurbished Roamio OTAs (non-Vox) with lifetime service for $350:
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/TiV...Roamio-OTA-1TB
post #3046 of 3363 Old 08-25-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
But the big question is whether this new hardware partner will just take existing TiVo designs -- such as the Roamio Vox OTA -- and churn out more of them, or will they put out their own newly designed DVRs? Maybe they'll keep some models as-is, replace others and completely kill off some without replacement. Who knows. Also, I wonder how they'll address pricing on future OTA-only DVRs . . .
Basically sounds like Microsoft or any other software company. Let hardware makers do what they do best and make and sell the boxes -- and the software maker (TiVo) do what they do best and make and sell the DVR OS for the boxes. This could actually open things up -- unless TiVo gets like Apple. Whatever model makes them the most $$, I guess.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3047 of 3363 Old 08-25-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I am going to keep my eyes open for another Thanksgiving Black Friday deal like last year or the one before. If they have something great I’ll pick up one more unit.

But if TiVo just becomes a reseller of junk third-party boxes I’ll not likely buy another.

With streaming services, TiVo is becoming more irrelevant each year.
post #3048 of 3363 Old 08-25-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4067 Post(s)
Liked: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
No
No
No
It is high on many wish lists. BTW, recording content locally from a streaming service is virtually unheard of.
It looks like Silicon Dust's new product can record streaming content to local storage.

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/
post #3049 of 3363 Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
If you get curious, there's a formula for MPEG-2 recordings.

size (in GB) * 8192 / length (in minutes) / 60 = Mbps.
Thank you for posting this formula. I wondered what the bitrate was for my CBS & FOX which is on the same RF station. After looking at the GB used and the formula its all over the board...depending on the program. Here are some examples from my Tivo HD (Series 3) hooked to the antenna.

I still have the All Star Game. Using the formula it equates to 8.08MBps
The NASCAR truck race a week ago is about the same 8.12MBps
Somehow Beat Shazam is the highest at 8.6 for the three shows still on the drive (its like 8.61, 8.63, 8.63)

CBS shows are higher (as they would be..CBS is the -1)
Celeb Undercover Boss is 10.2-10.3MBps between 3 episodes
TKO is around 13MBps between 3 episodes which seems odd
Carpool Karaoke on Monday is only 10.8MBps

But it looks like sports at same time is where CBS is the "have" and FOX is the "have not"
Vikings Week 1 pre-season (on FOX) 8.22MBps
Vikings Week 2 pre-season (on CBS as FOX had US Amateur) 13.5 MBps
Vikings Week 3 (on FOX) against the Detroit/TB game on CBS 5.72 MBps (!!!!!! No wonder it looked like crap)
CBS game was 12.27
Philly/Cleveland game Thursday 7.98 (no sports on CBS at same time)

The Big 3 game last night was shows after the Vikes game and that averaged 7.33
Previous week was 7.68

I wonder if the reason the Big 3 yesterday showed a higher bitrate than the Vikes game was because Big 3 was "network" programming?
post #3050 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I wonder if the reason the Big 3 yesterday showed a higher bitrate than the Vikes game was because Big 3 was "network" programming?
Perhaps the question could also be asked "why are the files bigger or smaller". I've found the amount of commercials and audio encoding can affect the size. I get two CW channels, but one is only DD2.0, so it has smaller files. Both are 1080i.
post #3051 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
At any rate, as someone said above, it looks like TiVo's online outlet still has some refurbished Roamio OTAs (non-Vox) with lifetime service for $350:
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/TiV...Roamio-OTA-1TB
I was about to pull the trigger on a refurbished unit from the Tivo Outlet but decided to look on Amazon one more time today and found they are currently offering a new Roamio VOX OTA 1TB unit on sale for the same amount.
post #3052 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Roamio streams to Premiere, but not the other way !

So, I know that linking two units by wi fi is "iffy" and not supported. -- but I like to tinker with radio, so....

My wi-fi world is good. There are only two alien networks I can see and both are very weak. My channel is clear, both 2 and 5 Ghz. The router is an Apple Extreme, the a/n model. Distances to the router in each direction are short and wireless connections are excellent with very high bitrates on a 40 mhz channel on 5 ghz. I'm starting with a best case, not like some apartments I've seen with 25+ networks visible.

I set up the Tivo Roamio, and after a slight side track to go back to the classic UI, (not a fan of hydra, sorry) all is good. The Premiere that it replaced is moved to another room.

Both units see each other, and both bring up a menu quickly.

If you try to stream TO the Premier from the Roamio, the program runs perfectly. FF, RW, etc, all as if you where on the primary unit.

If you try to stream FROM the Premier to the Roamio, it loads, plays for a second, and then tosses an error message.

I don't think this can be fixed, nor am I asking for help-I just found this data point interesting...if it didn't work both ways, or it did work both ways, I would not be surprised...but the one way part is interesting. Rock steady one way, instant error the other.

My actual use of this is probably limited. I just like to tinker.

I'll guess the Premiere is hard stressed to stream OUT due to limited computing power vs. the Roamio. I've run 1080p netflix with no issues, and if it can stream one way but not the other the router, etc have to be adequate. I'm not an expert on the wi fi cards in the two units but that might be part as well.

post #3053 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I know that linking two units by wi fi is "iffy" and not supported. -- but I like to tinker with radio, so....
What does the Premiere use as a wireless adapter?
post #3054 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps the question could also be asked "why are the files bigger or smaller". I've found the amount of commercials and audio encoding can affect the size. I get two CW channels, but one is only DD2.0, so it has smaller files. Both are 1080i.
I would assume it would be same parameters for the MN Vikings games they carried on FOX (week 1 & 3) the MBps **should** be the same (or close). But week 1 (against CBS programming and news/syndicated) it was 8.23 MBps
Friday's game, which was same time as the national game, only was 5.72 Mbps

Thursdays Cleveland/Philly game was close to week 1 (7.98). I will see what it shows for the Bills/Cincy game today after its done.
post #3055 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I would assume it would be same parameters for the MN Vikings games they carried on FOX (week 1 & 3) the MBps **should** be the same (or close). But week 1 (against CBS programming and news/syndicated) it was 8.23 MBps
Friday's game, which was same time as the national game, only was 5.72 Mbps
Thursdays Cleveland/Philly game was close to week 1 (7.98). I will see what it shows for the Bills/Cincy game today after its done.
We have no real time measurement tool. Maybe it would be good just to accept that we are observing an average over the period of the recording. But there are some relative constants for me. NBC/CBS are the highest. Fox is next, and ABC really sucks. At one time I had a beautiful CBS PQ. Then it added three sub-channels. So did NBC. With the FCC Repack, it will be a while before all the transmitters have new homes and we can revisit the quality. Late 2020 from what I've read.
post #3056 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What does the Premiere use as a wireless adapter?

I'm using the Tivo N adapter.

Last edited by speedlaw; 08-26-2018 at 04:19 PM.
post #3057 of 3363 Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We have no real time measurement tool. Maybe it would be good just to accept that we are observing an average over the period of the recording.
While I would agree it just seems odd that as soon as CBS had NFL on it took bandwidth away from FOX, even though I'm sure more folks watched FOX for the local team.
Todays FOX game came out to 7.85 MBps...a smidge less than Thursdays game (7.98)

I guess I'll see what happens this Thursday (last Vikes preseason game) and for real on Saturday with CFB on both.
post #3058 of 3363 Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using the Tivo N adapter.
Then the Premiere isn't really wireless. There are several other wireless bridges that I use. A decent low price item is the DAP-1650 which would give you 5GHz and 802.11ac.
speedlaw likes this.
post #3059 of 3363 Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Perhaps the question could also be asked "why are the files bigger or smaller". I've found the amount of commercials and audio encoding can affect the size.
As a general note, commercials are shown at the same bitrate as the main program. I've seen this many times when editing commercials from a recording -- the bitrate of the full 1hr recording is the same as the bitrate of the 40 min edited main title. There were a couple times where I satisfied my curiosity by doing an inverse edit to create a file of only the commercials to check the bitrate -- it was the same as the main title.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3060 of 3363 Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
We have had our Roamio OTA for abou 14 months when it started making an audible noise that sounds like the fan or possibly HHD. Definitely the noise of something spinning. So i logged into Tivo.com and got on the chat support. The agent suggest I do a cold reboot. So i did that when I got home, but it did not help. I logged into Tivo.com the next day and during our conversation the chat app suddenly closed and as of Friday (2 days later ) the app was still not available. I decided to call the 800-support line. I proceeded to tell the agent the problem. In broken English she stated I could get a replacement since my extended warranty was still valid. She stated that the extended warranty would be "consumed" if I ordered a replacement. I proceeded to explain to her that the point of an extended warranty is to not have to pay for repairs. She could not offer an explanation that made sense so I requested her manager. He proceeded to explain (also in very broken English) that I would not have to pay anything for this replacement, however if something broke on the replacement box, I might have to pay for returning that replacement. Finally, we reached an agreement but he when he told about the replacement options, he said if I wanted them to send a box first then me send my faulty one back in it required a $399 refundable deposit. I have never heard of anything like this.

So I agreed to just the option whereby Tivo would send me an empty box for me to return my faulty box. Apparently, I am really close to the Tivo repair center, because the next I had a return box. However instead of an empty box Tivo sent me a replacement Roamio! I am checked my credit cards to make sure they didn't charge me anything.

After getting the replacement box set up, it is make a louder humming noise than the first box. Even in stand-by mode, the fan is noisy. If they try to make me pay I am not sure what I will do. I am really disappointed with the company at this point.

Has anyone had experience with Tivo's replacement program? Right now it seems like they really do not know what they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page