TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #3241 of 3322 Old 02-26-2019, 02:25 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8966 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
In my area my Bolts, Roamios, Premieres, S3, and DirecTV TiVo boxes all received the same OTA channels. TiVo models going back to 2004.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3322 Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 68
[quote=A J;57661000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I see they have the 'TiVo-renewed BOLT 500GB' and the 'TiVo-renewed Roamio OTA 1TB with VOX remote' both available.

The 500GB renewed Bolt is sold out.
Yeah, I noticed that...I decided to go ahead and order the Roamio OTA and give it a try.
Primestar31 likes this.
post #3243 of 3322 Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM

[quote=richart;57670378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

Yeah, I noticed that...I decided to go ahead and order the Roamio OTA and give it a try.
I received the Renewed Tivo Roamio OTA 1TB unit today and I am quite impressed! Everything worked perfectly right out of the box and it was easy to setup. Appearance wise I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this unit and a brand new one. The user interface is polished and intuitive. This unit came with the VOX remote but I have not tried out the voice feature yet. I would feel sort of stupid talking into a remote...LOL!

For the past few years I have been a Channel Master DVR+ user and really enjoyed that box, but right off the bat I think the Roamio is probably a better product and includes apps for all the streaming services I use: Neflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Vudu, etc. When the Channel Master Stream+ was introduced, I gave it a try for 30 days but ended up sending it back. It would not receive one of my favorite local OTA sub-channels (but would receive the other two streams on that channel--how odd!) Channel Master tech support was of no help at all and would not even send me a replacement unit to see if that resolved the problem.

For the next 30 days or so my wife and I plan to use these units on two different sets and see which one we like the best. The winner will end up on our primary set and the other will be shuffled off to a secondary set. However, I think I can foresee the future and can predict the winner. I hope I am not disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3244 of 3322 Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think you will truly enjoy your Roamio OTAs. Go ahead and try using VOX...I seldom use it, but it does a pretty good job of searching for you. For searching for a "common" program it saves you having to go to different menus as it can search across OTA and streaming sources...as best as I recall.
richart likes this.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
post #3245 of 3322 Old 03-04-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
[quote=richart;57675926]
Quote:
For the next 30 days or so my wife and I plan to use these units on two different sets and see which one we like the best . . . . I think I can foresee the future and can predict the winner. I hope I am not disappointed.
I love the fact that I bought my first Roamio in mid-2013, and here we are almost 6 yr later and the unit is still current, still supported, still updated and still running flawlessly 24x7 on the family room HDTV where it has always been. Admittedly, the Netflix, Prime and Plex clients are slow to load but they appear to stay current and it is bearable in order to have a 1-box solution that provides whole-home video networking with my other Roamio and Mini.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3246 of 3322 Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...Admittedly, the Netflix, Prime and Plex clients are slow to load but they appear to stay current and it is bearable in order to have a 1-box solution that provides whole-home video networking with my other Roamio and Mini.
Agree, the apps are slow to load. I have a Roku on the same TV and find I tend to switch over to that for streaming.
post #3247 of 3322 Old 03-09-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
And if you have the older Minis, the apps will likely crash the box. Rokus are much better than Tivo apps in every way.
post #3248 of 3322 Old 03-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Agree, the apps are slow to load. I have a Roku on the same TV and find I tend to switch over to that for streaming.
Yes, I don't doubt that the Netflix and Prime apps on Roku are much faster -- and I wish the TiVo Roamio apps were faster. But the advantage to TiVo is that the apps are fully integrated into the TiVo DVR UI. It is ever so nice and convenient to set up a 1-pass to record a current show and have the option of showing all the past episodes in the DVR Playlist -- if they are available in Netflix/Prime. A back episode can be selected from the playlist and the TiVo jumps into the appropriate service and plays it. One can also search for a cable show that is only on Netflix or Prime and create a TiVo 1-pass for it. The episodes then appear in the DVR playlist and can be selected and "played" just like any other recording. Furthermore, a 1-pass for a Netflix/Prime show created on 1 TiVo is accessible to all other TiVo's on the home network, just like recordings.

It is this high level of integration that makes the slow speed of the app bearable. My understanding is that the apps run much faster on the newer hardware of the Bolt.
richart likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3249 of 3322 Old 03-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And if you have the older Minis, the apps will likely crash the box. Rokus are much better than Tivo apps in every way.
I haven't had the Netflix/Prime apps crash my old Mini, but I have had them behave funny so that I felt the need to reboot the Mini -- which cleared up any problems immediately and provided hours of flawless streaming.

- kelson h

post #3250 of 3322 Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

YouTube reliably crashed our Minis so often that we gave up and got Rokus. As a former Unix/Linux dev I know this should never happen, but Tivo allows apps to run the box out of RAM and hard-lock them. Piss-poor programming/configuration, in other words.
post #3251 of 3322 Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
YouTube reliably crashed our Minis so often that we gave up and got Rokus.
OK, I never use U-Tube on the TiVo so I've escaped the Mini crash you have seen.

- kelson h

post #3252 of 3322 Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
OK, I never use U-Tube on the TiVo so I've escaped the Mini crash you have seen.
I've run YouTube and Amazon Prime on my Mini (A93 and A95) for hours and never had a disconnect or other problem. I must be unlucky.
post #3253 of 3322 Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My Tivo Premiere is hard wired to my router, but my Tivo Roamio is wireless. I use an Asus RT-AC3100 router.

Given the fact that I've got a high end router along with 100/100Mbps fiber optic internet, does anyone have any insight into the fact that these two Tivos cannot always connect to each other for playing recorded programs? I've never had a bit of problem from any other wireless devices in the house.
post #3254 of 3322 Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is the basic setup that we have. We have Hulu (regular, we only have Hulu Live during college football season<g>), our grandchildren's Netflix, and Amazon Prime. With this we also watch some Youtube and on rare occasion some of the *free* streaming sources...Tubi, etc.,. At times we will use the Prime, Netflix, or Youtube apps within Tivo. Once they're up and running they do seem to run ok. But, the Roku just seems to have more of a crispness to it's performance than the Tivo does. We don't sweat it...the arrangement works, we're happy and don't need to overthink it...too much.<grin>

We haven't regretted a single time dishing DISH, not ONE time!!! From what we've saved on subscription costs we have paid off the Tivo/Roku setup *twice*!!! I'm glad you're happy with your Tivo/Roku setup. Enjoy it...and the $$$ that you may be saving!!!!!!

Ed

www.BeeWeather.com
post #3255 of 3322 Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM

I am having a minor glitch with the renewed (refurbished) Tivo Roamio OTA. Does anyone else experience these glitches?

About ten times in the past two weeks, the audio has either completely gone away or started breaking up rapidly and then gone away. To get the audio back I either have to hit pause/play or hit the 8 second replay button. This has occurred on both live TV as well as on recorded TV. I have not experienced the problem on a streaming app. It seems to be occurring more often...five times in the last three days. And I usually only watch an hour or so per day.

The Tivo is connected via HDMI cable directly to a TV set. I have unpowered the Tivo and restarted it. I have also tried a new HDMI cable and a different HDMI port on the TV. Neither has made a difference.

Any thoughts from the group before I contact Tivo and ask for a replacement?
post #3256 of 3322 Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've had a refurbished Tivo since Dec, and I have not had what you're describing happen once.

SMK
post #3257 of 3322 Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 35
No Skip Mode on Blacklist last night!

Once again no SM on Blacklist last evening on WNBC - NY.
post #3258 of 3322 Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Once again no SM on Blacklist last evening on WNBC - NY.
First time I recall that it was missed. But if you want to see others tracking SM failures: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...#post-11742980

Since it is a two-part episode, I won't be watching it for two weeks. If it does get SM, I'll post here too.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 03-16-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #3259 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am having a minor glitch with the renewed (refurbished) Tivo Roamio OTA. Does anyone else experience these glitches?

About ten times in the past two weeks, the audio has either completely gone away or started breaking up rapidly and then gone away. To get the audio back I either have to hit pause/play or hit the 8 second replay button. This has occurred on both live TV as well as on recorded TV. I have not experienced the problem on a streaming app. It seems to be occurring more often...five times in the last three days. And I usually only watch an hour or so per day.

The Tivo is connected via HDMI cable directly to a TV set. I have unpowered the Tivo and restarted it. I have also tried a new HDMI cable and a different HDMI port on the TV. Neither has made a difference.

Any thoughts from the group before I contact Tivo and ask for a replacement?
It almost, kinda, sorta seems like it might be an HDMI communication error? I have occasion where my Roamio will lose sound and I have to switch back and forth between Dolby and PCM to get it back.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #3260 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
It almost, kinda, sorta seems like it might be an HDMI communication error? I have occasion where my Roamio will lose sound and I have to switch back and forth between Dolby and PCM to get it back.
I had the same problem as you. It's a glitch in Tivo's firmware. If your box is set to go into standby, it will sometimes lose audio when it comes out of standby. The only fix is to set it so that it never goes into standby.
Menu>Settings>Remote,Cablecard & Devices>Power Saving Settings [OFF]

This will of course keep the Tivo on all the time and it will use more power, but it's not a huge amount. I worry more about the heat, so make sure your box has good ventilation.

It would be nice if Tivo would fix this. But don't hold your breath. Please report this glitch to Tivo.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #3261 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Yes, I don't doubt that the Netflix and Prime apps on Roku are much faster -- and I wish the TiVo Roamio apps were faster. But the advantage to TiVo is that the apps are fully integrated into the TiVo DVR UI. It is ever so nice and convenient to set up a 1-pass to record a current show and have the option of showing all the past episodes in the DVR Playlist -- if they are available in Netflix/Prime. A back episode can be selected from the playlist and the TiVo jumps into the appropriate service and plays it. One can also search for a cable show that is only on Netflix or Prime and create a TiVo 1-pass for it. The episodes then appear in the DVR playlist and can be selected and "played" just like any other recording. Furthermore, a 1-pass for a Netflix/Prime show created on 1 TiVo is accessible to all other TiVo's on the home network, just like recordings.

It is this high level of integration that makes the slow speed of the app bearable. My understanding is that the apps run much faster on the newer hardware of the Bolt.
Exactly. Bookmarking shows that go to apps will be quicker than swapping to a stick and accessing the app, find the show and start playing.

I'll take the unified integration any day.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3262 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

But Tivo never fully implemented 1Ps correctly, I had multiple streaming 1Ps where new eps would never show up so I deleted them. It might work for searches but it damn sure doesn't work for new stuff.

And I'm just past the slowness by now when cheap sticks work 100% better. Switching inputs is trivial in return for a way better playback experience.
post #3263 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I don't really do one pass with streaming so doesn't matter for me. I do like looking things up and bookmarking them from other sources for future convenience. Have to switch my HBO now to Amazon so I can use it through the Prime app.

And I don't really care if old mini's are slow. They'll get replaced with the new one. Already did one new one for the living room. The downgrade to the old UI was a PITA, but now everything is smooth.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3264 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
But Tivo never fully implemented 1Ps correctly, I had multiple streaming 1Ps where new eps would never show up so I deleted them.
Not sure I understand what you mean. I have several 1-passes (Blue Bloods, Blacklist, NCIS . . .) that record the current season episodes and display all the previous season episodes in Netflix/Prime, in the playlist. Perhaps you had the filter set incorrectly?

- kelson h

post #3265 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My issue with using 1Pass with streaming content is keeping track of which episodes I've watched. Is there a way to mark episodes as watched or some type of binge mode to keep track of where you've left off in a series?
post #3266 of 3322 Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean. I have several 1-passes (Blue Bloods, Blacklist, NCIS . . .) that record the current season episodes and display all the previous season episodes in Netflix/Prime, in the playlist. Perhaps you had the filter set incorrectly?
I think he's referring to new episodes available via streaming Onepass. That was really the final straw for me, as well, when I first started investigating TiVo alternatives. I would have a program that was on Hulu, for example, that when a new episode was available wouldn't show up via Onepass for anywhere from a week to a month later. It wasn't an isolated incident, and was impossible to predict which program it would happen on.
post #3267 of 3322 Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
My issue with using 1Pass with streaming content is keeping track of which episodes I've watched. Is there a way to mark episodes as watched or some type of binge mode to keep track of where you've left off in a series?
After watching an episode from a streaming 1P, the icon to the left of the episode changes. This was as of a few months ago when watching Jack Ryan. However, it's not reliable over the long term. I have seen a streaming 1P just disappear. After a restart or other process, the icons may reset. There are bugs.
post #3268 of 3322 Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
If I make a 1-pass for a TV show that I want to stream/binge from season 1, I just delete the episodes from the playlist as I watch them.
dturturro likes this.

- kelson h

post #3269 of 3322 Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Streaming only, not recording. They are broken for new content (frex, I had a couple for Grand Tour and Man in the High Castle on AMZ, neither got updated correctly when the new eps were available).

Might work for series that also have cable content but certainly not for streaming only stuff, which makes them useless to me.
post #3270 of 3322 Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Streaming only, not recording. They are broken for new content (frex, I had a couple for Grand Tour and Man in the High Castle on AMZ, neither got updated correctly when the new eps were available).

Might work for series that also have cable content but certainly not for streaming only stuff, which makes them useless to me.
Interesting. I have a couple 1-pass set up for cable shows (I'm OTA) that I stream from Netflix/Prime. I'm waiting for the latest episodes to make it to the streaming services. I'll keep an eye out to see if they get listed on TiVo when they come out on Netflix/Prime.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page