TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 983Likes

post #3271 of 3311 Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Streaming only, not recording. They are broken for new content (frex, I had a couple for Grand Tour and Man in the High Castle on AMZ, neither got updated correctly when the new eps were available).

Might work for series that also have cable content but certainly not for streaming only stuff, which makes them useless to me.
And it's not a new problem. I posted about it back sometime in 2017 not working for some streaming-only 1-passes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3311 Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
[quote=richart;57675926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post

I received the Renewed Tivo Roamio OTA 1TB unit today and I am quite impressed! Everything worked perfectly right out of the box and it was easy to setup. Appearance wise I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this unit and a brand new one. The user interface is polished and intuitive. This unit came with the VOX remote but I have not tried out the voice feature yet. I would feel sort of stupid talking into a remote...LOL!

For the past few years I have been a Channel Master DVR+ user and really enjoyed that box, but right off the bat I think the Roamio is probably a better product and includes apps for all the streaming services I use: Neflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Vudu, etc. When the Channel Master Stream+ was introduced, I gave it a try for 30 days but ended up sending it back. It would not receive one of my favorite local OTA sub-channels (but would receive the other two streams on that channel--how odd!) Channel Master tech support was of no help at all and would not even send me a replacement unit to see if that resolved the problem.

For the next 30 days or so my wife and I plan to use these units on two different sets and see which one we like the best. The winner will end up on our primary set and the other will be shuffled off to a secondary set. However, I think I can foresee the future and can predict the winner. I hope I am not disappointed.
i've both. The Roamio is a Mercedes, the DVR is a Corolla. They both get you there, but the guide on the Tivo is better.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #3273 of 3311 Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I had the same problem as you. It's a glitch in Tivo's firmware. If your box is set to go into standby, it will sometimes lose audio when it comes out of standby. The only fix is to set it so that it never goes into standby.
Menu>Settings>Remote,Cablecard & Devices>Power Saving Settings [OFF]

This will of course keep the Tivo on all the time and it will use more power, but it's not a huge amount. I worry more about the heat, so make sure your box has good ventilation.

It would be nice if Tivo would fix this. But don't hold your breath. Please report this glitch to Tivo.
Thanks for the feedback. But, my Tivo is on 24/7/365. No standby. The problem is very infrequent so I don't worry about it too much...just odd.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3311 Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Seems appropriate to mention that TiVo has another sale going on:

TiVo Bracket Buster Sale
Among the offerings is a "renewed" 1TB Roamio OTA (w/ VOX Remote) with All-In service plan for $250.

p.s. ... through March 31st or while supplies last.
ncted likes this.
post #3275 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Today I received the update which contains AutoSkip... simply turn it on in User Preferences and you are good to go. For shows that have AutoSkip it typically shows up within a couple of minutes after airing. A lot of shows I view live/commercial delayed and once it's done recording you can select it from recordings and AutoSkip will kick in... plus it picks up right where you left off. Early release sign-up... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...mVCuA/viewform
aaronwt and tngiloy like this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
post #3276 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Ok, how is that different than what they already had (using the green button)?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3277 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 447
BTW, it's TE4 only.
post #3278 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Ok, how is that different than what they already had (using the green button)?
No button press required.
post #3279 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I take it, that's the metal case CATV only version?

I don't get how Rovi/TiVo gets away with this without the networks; OTA & CATV and advertisers breathing down their necks with threatening letters, phone calls and legal actions. You know, the same thing TiVo did to most of the other DVR sellers in one form or another effectually putting them out of business.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3280 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I take it, that's the metal case CATV only version?
It's Roamio & Bolt, all levels. But Hydra only.
post #3281 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
BTW, it's TE4 only.
Thanks. I was going to ask that.
A very nice feature but still not enough to make me budge from TE3.
Primestar31 and Culpepper like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3282 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Today I received the update which contains AutoSkip... simply turn it on in User Preferences and you are good to go. For shows that have AutoSkip it typically shows up within a couple of minutes after airing. A lot of shows I view live/commercial delayed and once it's done recording you can select it from recordings and AutoSkip will kick in... plus it picks up right where you left off. Early release sign-up... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...mVCuA/viewform
Saw this NEW feature last night. So far it has worked great. Very surprised that the networks and advertisers are OK with this.
post #3283 of 3311 Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post
Saw this NEW feature last night. So far it has worked great. Very surprised that the networks and advertisers are OK with this.
My take from reading the history of TiVo (per past employees) is they tried to stay on the "good side" of the networks/providers and I'm guessing now (at this point in time) they don't feel/see the value in such. Also Tablo is rolling out a similar feature although it won't be free, takes longer to be published and requires you to upload data to their servers. Just saw this note as well from Tablo...

Over the coming months, we will work to improve the feature with the goal of providing 80-90% skip accuracy on recordings with good signal quality.

Now TiVo doesn't have skip for all shows (virtually 100% of what I record) but with such a low percentage I'm not sure how happy I would be especially if I have to pay extra. Using Skip I have found TiVo 100% accurate and the only drawback being the Auto part via IFTTT where the "loop" is slow and the skip is delayed. With it now being processed internally that shouldn't be an issue. When it first came out I figured it was more or less a gimmick but quickly decided it nicely adds to the viewing experience.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #3284 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
...TiVo doesn't have skip for all shows (virtually 100% of what I record)
Just the opposite for me. Everything I record is prime time major networks, but only about 1 show in 10 has skip mode.

LG OLED65B7P
Denon AVR-X4400
GoldenEar Triton 2+ and SuperCenterX
SVS SB12 sub, Monster THX side surrounds, Infinity RS-II rear surrounds
ATV 4k, Tivo Roamio
post #3285 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM

I'm OTA (only) and outside of PBS I get skip for every recording but one... I used to have autoskip with WMC and if Tablo only hits 80-90% accuracy I'd say forget it. WMC was much more accurate however I still spent far too much time making sure I didn't lose part of a show. For me it either works or it doesn't. Sure it would be nice if everyone else had virtually 100% coverage although if it bothers someone there is a simple fix... don't record the show.

post #3286 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Maybe I'll change my mine, but I think I'll just stick with the SM and not auto SM
It was kind of an adjustment to go from visual FF to manual SM as I kind of thought I might miss something in the commercials but now the only time I use FF is if SM isn't avail(20??% of the time) but I'm not sure how I'd like a totally auto SM......we'll see. Occasionally I watch the first commercial(or preview of coming shows) but with auto I wouldn't even see it, it would be gone before I noticed. I suppose watching a recorded program in a room full of people it might be nice, not to have to think about pushing the green button but otherwise, I think I might just stick with manual SM.....
Culpepper likes this.
post #3287 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I suppose watching a recorded program in a room full of people it might be nice, not to have to think about pushing the green button but otherwise, I think I might just stick with manual SM.....
If it were availble for TE3 I would take advantage of it immediately. When it comes to skipping commercials, my wife is the guy behind you at the red-light who lays on his horn the instant the light turns green and you haven't moved yet.
Culpepper likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3288 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'll change my mine, but I think I'll just stick with the SM and not auto SM
It does take some time before it becomes natural. I was using IFTTT and even going from it is an adjustment since it's so fast your mind hasn't caught up to the show already continuing. Somehow my audio changed to PCM during the update and right at each skip a bell sounds and by the time you think what was that the show is back on. I found IFTTT somewhat frustrating as at times you had to wait for it to kick in - staring at the screen. Once in a while you'd give in and skip yourself only to have it kick in and you double skipped right past a good chunk of the show. Or end up 30-second skipping over the commercials. I'm thinking once this method sinks in I'll be loving it.

post #3289 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If it were availble for TE3 I would take advantage of it immediately. When it comes to skipping commercials, my wife is the guy behind you at the red-light who lays on his horn the instant the light turns green and you haven't moved yet.
Ahh, while I don't know what the difference is, I'm guessing I have TE3 and I'm not really interested in changing my UI from what I've been using since my first HD My Bolt(the one I got a discount for decommissioning my HD) came with a UI I really disliked, with help from people around here I was able to make it look like I was used to.
One of my daughters is like your wife, even wanting me to push the green button when on a reality show they start previewing what's coming up next The other daughter is the opposite and if a commercial starts she's interested in, she wants to watch it and complains if I push SM! Luckily neither are really interested in much of what we record
post #3290 of 3311 Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ahh, while I don't know what the difference is, I'm guessing I have TE3 and I'm not really interested in changing my UI from what I've been using since my first HD My Bolt(the one I got a discount for decommissioning my HD) came with a UI I really disliked, with help from people around here I was able to make it look like I was used to.
Sounds like you have TE3 if you are using the same UI on the Roamio that it came with. The Bolt came with TE4 -- which I also immensely dislike -- people helped you to downgrade it to TE3. So according to Joe, you won't have to worry about getting usd to auto-skip because we won't get it on TE3.

- kelson h

post #3291 of 3311 Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
...you won't have to worry about getting used to auto-skip because we won't get it on TE3.
I gave Hydra (a.k.a. TE4, or "New Experience") a two week tryout immediately upon it's release. To me it seemed "pretty", "flashy", "cute", or some similar adjective for a UI, but with no practical advantage for my way of viewing (others may/will differ). Plus Hydra had one big, serious disadvantage (for me) in the program guide, no TiVo Live Guide. I hate the cable-TV-style Grid Guide. I downgraded back to TE3 and have never regretted it.

Thus, I've reconciled to life with SkipMode unless TiVo belatedly adds AutoSkip to TE3. No biggie if they don't! Regular SkipMode ain't so bad.
post #3292 of 3311 Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I gave Hydra (a.k.a. TE4, or "New Experience") a two week tryout immediately upon it's release. To me it seemed "pretty", "flashy", "cute", or some similar adjective for a UI, but with no practical advantage for my way of viewing (others may/will differ).
For me, the big negative was their exclusive reliance on the "back" button instead of using the left arrow to go backwards in the menus. For me this made it counter-intuitive to the way it always worked. I had to take my thumb off the arrow pad and go fishing for the back button. Two weeks of Hydra was all I could take.

- kelson h

post #3293 of 3311 Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I had to take my thumb off the arrow pad and go fishing for the back button. Two weeks of Hydra was all I could take.
I was OK once I realized the Back button was now back. I upgraded the day it was released without any prior knowledge and I was completely lost. It felt much like the first time using a Apple TV remote... punt!! I keep hitting every key to see what would happen and then trying to figure which key I hit when it did something I wanted. However for me the next day I was fine.

post #3294 of 3311 Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I am relatively new to Tivo. Just picked up a "renewed" Roamio OTA in March when they had a sale going on. Evidently my unit came with Hydra based on what I'm seeing in this forum. Since I have never used any Tivo software before, it was easy for me to pick up the remote and learn how to do everything. It all seemed very intuitive. I am very pleased with the interface. It is much better than the Channelmaster DVR+ interface which I have been using for the past few years.
post #3295 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I went to sign up this morning and saw this message:
Thank you for your interest. Please note that we have stopped accepting requests for early access to the latest TiVo Experience 4 software. Our operations team will be releasing the software to all supported devices shortly.

I'm not sure what 'shortly' means in the Tivo universe, but I was hoping the new firmware might fix other problems. My main complaint is the loss of DD audio (all audio actually) when coming out of standby. I need to keep the power on all the time, and I would like to be able to put it into standby when not in use. Guess I'll find out when they roll it out.

Since I have a Mini also, does it get it an upgrade, or does it just feed off of the main box's firmware??

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #3296 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since I have a Mini also, does it get it an upgrade, or does it just feed off of the main box's firmware??
A Mini gets its own update. Until it does, automatic skip does not function. I'm still waiting for mine too.

On my Roamio, if I exit Standby the audio and video are ok. But there is some new behavior to the Slow button that affects the video window. You'll have to wait for the update since I'm not sure how to explain it.
tngiloy likes this.
post #3297 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A Mini gets its own update. Until it does, automatic skip does not function. I'm still waiting for mine too.

On my Roamio, if I exit Standby the audio and video are ok. But there is some new behavior to the Slow button that affects the video window. You'll have to wait for the update since I'm not sure how to explain it.
Did you have the loss of audio problem coming out of standby before updating your firmware?

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #3298 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you have the loss of audio problem coming out of standby before updating your firmware?
Yes, but it may be due to having CEC disabled on all my stuff and how I exit Standby (with TiVo button, not Live TV). My TiVo goes through an AVR also. I have a TE3 Roamio feeding the same AVR and never have audio problems. But I never use Standby on that box.

A note for those with two boxes. If I attempt to play a recording that resides on my TE3 box, the TE4 box has automatic skip disabled. To be clear: the User Preference changes to "Off".

update for clarity

Last edited by JoeKustra; 04-25-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #3299 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
When it comes to skipping commercials, my wife is the guy behind you at the red-light who lays on his horn the instant the light turns green and you haven't moved yet.
Thanks, I just coffee sprayed my keyboard.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #3300 of 3311 Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
My main complaint is the loss of DD audio (all audio actually) when coming out of standby. I need to keep the power on all the time, and I would like to be able to put it into standby when not in use.
I ran into that bug a long time ago. You can change the audio output then change it back and it should resume. The loss of audio doesn't bother me however a long time ago I lost a recording as TiVo didn't wake up from standby... I haven't used power saving since.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page