TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #3301 of 3355 Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
One sound issue bug I'm hoping is fixed by this latest update, but granted always seems to slip through to the next update. Is how when DD is turned off (i.e., PCM only and TiVo sound effects) on occasion usually while flipping through menus, you'll get a "very" loud burst of static that'll scare the bejesus out of you. And then the TiVo sound effects will go out.

Now toggling the DD on then off usually restores the effects. But its still a nasty bug making the sound do that ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3355 Old 04-25-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
One sound issue bug I'm hoping is fixed by this latest update, but granted always seems to slip through to the next update. Is how when DD is turned off (i.e., PCM only and TiVo sound effects) on occasion usually while flipping through menus, you'll get a "very" loud burst of static that'll scare the bejesus out of you. And then the TiVo sound effects will go out.
Now toggling the DD on then off usually restores the effects. But its still a nasty bug making the sound do that ....
I have yet to see PCM/sound effects happen once any DD source has been acquired. My AVR says nothing is sent from the TiVo. PCM will not return until the box has a power cycle. So, just hit the Slow button while at the Home display. The video window will go away. On a TE3 box the sound effects will happen. On a TE4 box they are gone.
post #3303 of 3355 Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I have yet to see PCM/sound effects happen once any DD source has been acquired. My AVR says nothing is sent from the TiVo. PCM will not return until the box has a power cycle. So, just hit the Slow button while at the Home display. The video window will go away. On a TE3 box the sound effects will happen. On a TE4 box they are gone.
No as I said (or tried to), it happens when operating the TiVo with DD sound option turned off. Which is to say, the "PCM only" option is selected in the sound settings.

And PCM only also enables the TiVo sound effects ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 3355 Old 05-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Blacklist incorrect in the guide

Blacklist has been moved from 9 pm to 8 pm on Friday's 2 weeks ago and the TIVO guide still has it as 9 PM. Someone at TIVO needs to wake up and correct this problem.
post #3305 of 3355 Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Blacklist has been moved from 9 pm to 8 pm on Friday's 2 weeks ago and the TIVO guide still has it as 9 PM. Someone at TIVO needs to wake up and correct this problem.
It has been noticed: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun....570810/unread
post #3306 of 3355 Old 05-06-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Shows at 8pm in my market
Blindspot 7-8
Blacklist 8-9 and
Dateline 9-10 all CDT.
Oh and last Friday the 3rd Blacklist was listed and recorded for me at 7-8pm and I just checked and indeed it was Blacklist.
post #3307 of 3355 Old 05-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Still erroneously showing at 9 PM PST here in the LA market. ...

post #3308 of 3355 Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Blacklist has been fine in the guide for me also. In fact, on 2 of the last 5 Fridays, Blacklist was moved to the NBC-2 sub-channel so a Phillies game could be broadcasted on the main NBC-1 channel. TiVo guide picked that up with no problem and made the recording.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3309 of 3355 Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Can someone confirm what the the latest firmware is.
My Roamio OTA shows software version: 21.8.3.RC4-846-6-846 and I'm not sure if its the latest since it doesn't show the date it was last updated.
Thanks.

Edit: I do not see "AutoSkip" in 'user preferences', so I'm thinking I have not gotten the update yet.

"When all else fails, read the manual."

Last edited by tngiloy; 05-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #3310 of 3355 Old 05-19-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
My Roamio OTA shows software version: 21.8.3.RC4-846-6-846 and I'm not sure if its the latest since it doesn't show the date it was last updated.
Thanks.

Edit: I do not see "AutoSkip" in 'user preferences', so I'm thinking I have not gotten the update yet.
The AutoSkip version is 21.9 something.
post #3311 of 3355 Old 05-19-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Thanks.
I hesitate to use the word beta, since it seems we are always in a beta for something. The latest version is https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun....571204/unread but if you're not already on the "early release" list, you will need to wait for the general rollout. But don't ask me to define "general rollout" either.

No more "RC". Now it's "v". I have seen posted that TiVo is still killing bugs. No word on the next release. As for "beta", this v8 is the third release of 21.9.1. Also, I have not seen any change in the frequency of missing SM.
tngiloy likes this.
post #3312 of 3355 Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
HDMI Not Permitted

I've seen this problem mentioned many times in the Tivo forum, but I've yet to see a solution. 5 year old Tivo Roamio, never an issue, now I get a message "HDMI not permitted," which appears to be an HDMI handshake issue. Also, after several Tivo reboots, the unit will only allow 480p output. Everything in the chain has been unplugged and re-booted. All other sources play through HDMI just fine. Anyone deal with this?
post #3313 of 3355 Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
What device or devices (TV and/or A/V Receiver) is it connected to.

Have you tried another TV?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3314 of 3355 Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1254 View Post
I've seen this problem mentioned many times in the Tivo forum, but I've yet to see a solution. 5 year old Tivo Roamio, never an issue, now I get a message "HDMI not permitted," which appears to be an HDMI handshake issue. Also, after several Tivo reboots, the unit will only allow 480p output. Everything in the chain has been unplugged and re-booted. All other sources play through HDMI just fine. Anyone deal with this?
It may also be worth trying a different HDMI cable. A bad (or inadequate) cable may trigger a copyright protection message.
Sounds like you reseated the HDMI cable at both ends, but you might want to try a different cable.
I'm not saying this is definitely the problem, but it might be and it's an easy thing to check.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #3315 of 3355 Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've tried a different cable. The Tivo runs through my NAD receiver, which just passes the signal with no processing. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be in the Tivo unit itself, but whether it's hardware or software is unknown. A Google search turns up dozens and dozens of the same issue, but no fix.

If I do a complete factory reset, does that erase everything stored on the hard drive?

One thing I'm going to try this morning, is running a new HDMI cable from the Tivo to my projector, using a different input on the projector. Don't know why that would make a difference, but I can try it.
post #3316 of 3355 Old 07-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
From Tivo's FAQ's"

Quote:
Note: Operations like Clear & Delete Everything can take over an hour. During this time, turn off your TV to avoid burn-in of static images on sensitive video displays

Restart the TiVo box/DVR: Shuts down the TiVo box and starts it up again. This will not affect recorded shows, OnePass/ Season Pass recordings, WishList searches, or TiVo Suggestions. You may need to restart your TiVo box as a routine troubleshooting step.

Repeat Guided Setup: You must repeat Guided Setup if you move or if you change your cable provider. Repeating Guided Setup will reset your channel lists. This will not affect recorded shows, OnePass/ Season Pass recordings, WishList Searches, or TiVo Suggestions.

Choose TiVo menus (Premiere Series boxes only): This option lets you choose whether to use TiVo with HD menus or TiVo with SD menus. For the best TiVo experience with a 16:9 widescreen television, choose TiVo with HD menus. For the best TiVo experience with a standard 4:3 television, choose TiVo with SD menus.

Clear Thumb Ratings and Suggestions: Removes all Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings and deletes the list of upcoming TiVo Suggestions. This does not delete TiVo Suggestions that have already been recorded.

Clear program information & To Do List: Clears all program information, cancels all OnePass/ Season Pass recordings and everything in the To Do List, and removes all Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings. This does not delete shows in the My Shows list. The TiVo Premiere acquires new program information during the next connection to the TiVo Service. Completing this process may take over an hour.

Clear & delete everything: This option restores the TiVo Premiere’s original factory settings. It clears all OnePass/ Season Pass recordings, WishList Searches, Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings, TiVo Suggestions, My Shows list recordings, program information, To Do List and setup information, including channel lists and Parental Controls. Completing this process may take over an hour.
post #3317 of 3355 Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Question TiVo Mini

I have an older Sony (720p) in the bedroom and there are times when we want to watch recorded shows in there. The only working inputs, are composite component so I can’t hook up a current generation Mini to it and would be forced to buy a new TV and a Mini. I’m seeing quite a few of the older Mini’s that had component output for sale on the used market and it’s tempting to just do that.

Does anyone know if these used Mini’s can be connected to my Roamio easily or are they registered to the current owners Tivo DVR to where I’m going to have a difficult time getting it to work with mine?
post #3318 of 3355 Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
I have an older Sony (720p) in the bedroom and there are times when we want to watch recorded shows in there. The only working inputs, are composite component so I can’t hook up a current generation Mini to it and would be forced to buy a new TV and a Mini. I’m seeing quite a few of the older Mini’s that had component output for sale on the used market and it’s tempting to just do that.
Does anyone know if these used Mini’s can be connected to my Roamio easily or are they registered to the current owners Tivo DVR to where I’m going to have a difficult time getting it to work with mine?
A used A93 Mini would work. There is a possibility of registration problems with any on-line purchase. I have bought two older Premiere from eBay in the past and registered them on-line. The Only way to be sure is to get the TSN and check with TiVo.

I said A93 since it uses the rf remote. The A92 Mini is ir only. It is good to check on the remote also. C00270 is the newer remote's part number. Visually, the A93 has its logo centered, the A92 is left justified.
Brent A likes this.
post #3319 of 3355 Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A used A93 Mini would work. There is a possibility of registration problems with any on-line purchase. I have bought two older Premiere from eBay in the past and registered them on-line. The Only way to be sure is to get the TSN and check with TiVo.

I said A93 since it uses the rf remote. The A92 Mini is ir only. It is good to check on the remote also. C00270 is the newer remote's part number. Visually, the A93 has its logo centered, the A92 is left justified.
Very helpful, especially about the remote differences.

Thanks Joe.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #3320 of 3355 Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
Very helpful, especially about the remote differences.

Thanks Joe.
I had to get rf remotes for my Premiere since I couldn't make my finger hit the right buttons. Then I use them in ir mode. Here is a picture:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...#post-11444461
Brent A likes this.
post #3321 of 3355 Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
If RF is a requirement, you can buy an RF dongle for the A92 for about $15. I have RF on all my A92s because they're mounted on the back of my TVs where IR doesn't work very well.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-18-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #3322 of 3355 Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1254 View Post
One thing I'm going to try this morning, is running a new HDMI cable from the Tivo to my projector, using a different input on the projector. Don't know why that would make a difference, but I can try it.
That's always the recommendation, run cable directly to video device (TV, projector etc.) and try different inputs. I've seen HDMI ports go bad on TVs but on Tivo it's pretty rare.
post #3323 of 3355 Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 PM

The Philly stations here just went through their FCC repack today at 1:00pm.
Sadly my Roamio's have not dealt with it well yet. First off the TiVo's didn't deal with the repack automatically, I had to rescan the channels. We were out all day so I didn't get to do the rescan until 7:00pm -- enough time to let the dust settle. It picked up the new channel frequencies, but it has them listed as "starred" channel numbers which means no guide data for them. I've restarted the TiVo's and reloaded the guide data, but so fat TiVo central hasn't caught up and matched the guide data with the new channel numbers.

It may take a couple days.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3324 of 3355 Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The Philly stations here just went through their FCC repack today at 1:00pm.
Sadly my Roamio's have not dealt with it well yet. First off the TiVo's didn't deal with the repack automatically, I had to rescan the channels. We were out all day so I didn't get to do the rescan until 7:00pm -- enough time to let the dust settle. It picked up the new channel frequencies, but it has them listed as "starred" channel numbers which means no guide data for them. I've restarted the TiVo's and reloaded the guide data, but so fat TiVo central hasn't caught up and matched the guide data with the new channel numbers.

It may take a couple days.
Same thing here in Hartford. Contact TiVo help via chat and give them the new frequencies. They will initiate a trouble ticket and fix it in a few days.
post #3325 of 3355 Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestjuggle View Post
Same thing here in Hartford. Contact TiVo help via chat and give them the new frequencies. They will initiate a trouble ticket and fix it in a few days.
Sounds good, thanks.

Did you lose any channels after the repack? I've lost CBS for the time being. They weren't ready with their build-out and are transmitting from a temporary antenna at lower elevation and reduced power. Lord knows how long it is going to take them to get their act together. It's not like they didnlt have enough lead-time.

- kelson h

post #3326 of 3355 Old 08-02-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Sounds good, thanks.

Did you lose any channels after the repack? I've lost CBS for the time being. They weren't ready with their build-out and are transmitting from a temporary antenna at lower elevation and reduced power. Lord knows how long it is going to take them to get their act together. It's not like they didnlt have enough lead-time.
Just the opposite for Hartford. Two of our stations were running at lower power before the repack. One was for several weeks the other was for a week or two. There was also outages from time to time while they were changing antennas and doing testing.

On TiVo guide data. I find it hard to believe that TiVo doesn't stay on top of the repack better. It is not like there isn't plenty of data available from the stations and the FCC. This is especially true for the east coast from Boston to DC. There were so many stations switching frequencies that the changes had to be coordinated at the same day and time to eliminate interference and having two stations on the same frequency at the same time.
post #3327 of 3355 Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 72
8 channels in the Boston market and 1 in Providence moved yesterday morning, and it is really annoying that TIVO was not ready for this and now although with a rescan I can watch these channels, I have no guide data and cannot record what I want.

SMK
post #3328 of 3355 Old 08-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
8 channels in the Boston market and 1 in Providence moved yesterday morning, and it is really annoying that TIVO was not ready for this and now although with a rescan I can watch these channels, I have no guide data and cannot record what I want.

SMK
Is it easier for the TiVo user to report the changes online, via chat, or do you "dare" try to call them and discuss it? I agree, they should be more on top of this as the FCC information has been out there for quite some time regarding all the channel changes. But I don't think TiVo is as much on their game the way the used to be. And now, it "seems" the call center(s) are overseas only.

Last edited by evan237; 08-03-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #3329 of 3355 Old 08-03-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 72
You can report this at Tivo's website at

Tivo.com/lineup

I did this and put in several channels, but when I submitted it, nothing happened. I pressed the tab 3 times, and finally I just gave up, so I don't know if it went through or not.

SMK
post #3330 of 3355 Old 08-03-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've used this link many times, but there was a post that it has been changed for OTA reports: https://www.tivo.com/lineup.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page