TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1012Likes

post #3421 of 3431 Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So my Tivo OTA has suddenly decided (today) to not work when going through my AVR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3431 Old 04-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Well good freaking grief.

So I have a Pioneer Elite SC-77. I have the Tivo hooked into a 4 by switch (with my xbox 360 and HD DVD player)...items I don't use as much. For the last, probably 8 months or so It's gone through that switch. No problems. Today it's working around 2:00 PM. I power the unit down to move it, when I power it back up, it won't work. The 360 and HD DVD player will play through that setup, but not the Tivo. After messing around for about 2 1/2 hours, I figure out that for whatever reason, that setup will work on HDMI Inputs 1-4, but it won't on 6-8 (HDMI 5 is a front input)

Any idea why all of a sudden my Tivo won't work on HDMI 6, 7 or 8? I also tried hooking the TIVO directly into the AVR into those inputs without the switch, and still no go.

Really weird.

post #3423 of 3431 Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
Well good freaking grief.

So I have a Pioneer Elite SC-77. I have the Tivo hooked into a 4 by switch (with my xbox 360 and HD DVD player)...items I don't use as much. For the last, probably 8 months or so It's gone through that switch. No problems. Today it's working around 2:00 PM. I power the unit down to move it, when I power it back up, it won't work. The 360 and HD DVD player will play through that setup, but not the Tivo. After messing around for about 2 1/2 hours, I figure out that for whatever reason, that setup will work on HDMI Inputs 1-4, but it won't on 6-8 (HDMI 5 is a front input)

Any idea why all of a sudden my Tivo won't work on HDMI 6, 7 or 8? I also tried hooking the TIVO directly into the AVR into those inputs without the switch, and still no go.

Really weird.
Have you tried another HDMI cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 3431 Old 04-24-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Have you tried another HDMI cable?
Yes. The first thing I did was swap out cables. I even used the cable that was with the Tivo box on the other devices on the switch, then on the devices straight to the AVR, then on one of them straight to the TV. While I ended up finishing with a different cable, the cable isn't the issue.

I haven't had a firmware update in forever on that receiver...so I just don't know. I don't know what could have updated in the recent Tivo update that would make it not work with HDMI 6, 7 or 8.

post #3425 of 3431 Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Yes. The first thing I did was swap out cables. I even used the cable that was with the Tivo box on the other devices on the switch, then on the devices straight to the AVR, then on one of them straight to the TV. While I ended up finishing with a different cable, the cable isn't the issue.

I haven't had a firmware update in forever on that receiver...so I just don't know. I don't know what could have updated in the recent Tivo update that would make it not work with HDMI 6, 7 or 8.
definitely an hdmi issue... either cable, or unfortunately could be the hdmi port on the Tivo... they aren't the most durable things, and maybe just one too many plugs/stresses...

I'd maybe get a brand new cable not used elswhere and make a direct connection (like a 3 ft cable). once that is established as working, you can rule out the Tivo HDMI port...

good luck, that would suck!

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #3426 of 3431 Old 04-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
definitely an hdmi issue... either cable, or unfortunately could be the hdmi port on the Tivo... they aren't the most durable things, and maybe just one too many plugs/stresses...

I'd maybe get a brand new cable not used elswhere and make a direct connection (like a 3 ft cable). once that is established as working, you can rule out the Tivo HDMI port...

Yeah. That's the weird thing here: The HDMI works on the TIVO. Every cable I tried worked on the TIVO. But for some reason, those 3 specific inputs on the receiver quit working with the TIVO. Those cables and other output devices (my 360 and HD DVD player) continued to work.

Then...the Tivo works on HDMI Inputs 1,2,3,4. I'm not sure if 6,7,8 work differently (I haven't jumped into the Pioneer manual yet) and something in an update is causing a conflict.

At the end of the day, at least I have it working again. I just had to change around a few inputs. But it was very weird.
jcr159 likes this.

post #3427 of 3431 Old 04-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Yeah. That's the weird thing here: The HDMI works on the TIVO. Every cable I tried worked on the TIVO. But for some reason, those 3 specific inputs on the receiver quit working with the TIVO. Those cables and other output devices (my 360 and HD DVD player) continued to work.

Then...the Tivo works on HDMI Inputs 1,2,3,4. I'm not sure if 6,7,8 work differently (I haven't jumped into the Pioneer manual yet) and something in an update is causing a conflict.

At the end of the day, at least I have it working again. I just had to change around a few inputs. But it was very weird.
1: Glad you got it working!
2: HDMI is annoying....
3: Any chance any/all of your gear has HDMI CEC turned on? that stuff it the thing of nightmares for troubleshooting HDMI issues... Makes equipment go a bit bonkers...

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #3428 of 3431 Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:
1: Glad you got it working!
2: HDMI is annoying....
3: Any chance any/all of your gear has HDMI CEC turned on? that stuff it the thing of nightmares for troubleshooting HDMI issues... Makes equipment go a bit bonkers...
1. Thanks!
2. Yes, yes it is.
3. I mean, maybe? I haven't touched anything tho. All I did yesterday was power down the unit to put it in a different spot, and when I turned it back on it wouldn't work. I was on with Tivo, they were no help. I finally took the whole thing to another room and connected it directly to a TV and it worked. So then I took it back to my HT room and started testing different things. That's when I realized everything worked as it should when connected to those specific inputs, and wouldn't work on the others, but only with the TIVO. Every other connection try (with the switch, without, different cables, etc) with any other source worked.

Oh well!
jcr159 likes this.

post #3429 of 3431 Old 05-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 5024
"For sale" items go in the Classified areas only. Posts and responses removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3430 of 3431 Old 05-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
"For sale" items go in the Classified areas only. Posts and responses removed.
Couldn't you just have moved them?
post #3431 of 3431 Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 5024
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Couldn't you just have moved them?
Nope. Posting in Classified areas requires additional information only the poster can supply. As I have yet to perfect my mind-reading skills, I figure it's best left to the poster to create a new entry with the necessary information.

In the future, please address moderation questions in a PM. I don't always subscribe to threads I've taken action in, so I'm not likely to see subsequent replies.
kwg and tngiloy like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page