TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 987Likes

post #1711 of 3366 Old 05-23-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post
Any recent tablo converts.. I am trying to decide on returning my taboo and getting a roamio the tablo still seems like a beta project..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I've never used a Tablo. What about it isn't working well for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3366 Old 05-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I've never used a Tablo. What about it isn't working well for you?
It was missing several recordings and the GUI is slow at best.. I now have a bolt and one mini on the way..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
post #1713 of 3366 Old 05-26-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Well, this is disappointing -- another Mini limitation.

I have 2 Roamio's and a Mini. When I stream a skip-mode recording on the Mini, that is stored on the TiVo it is registered to for a tuner, SkipMode functions just fine on the Mini.

However, if I stream a skip-mode recording on the Mini that is stored on the other TiVo, SkipMode is lost on the Mini.

This is not the case when using one of the Roamio's to stream a recording stored on the other Roamio -- skip-mode works fine streaming across Roamio's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 3366 Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well, this is disappointing -- another Mini limitation.

I have 2 Roamio's and a Mini. When I stream a skip-mode recording on the Mini, that is stored on the TiVo it is registered to for a tuner, SkipMode functions just fine on the Mini.

However, if I stream a skip-mode recording on the Mini that is stored on the other TiVo, SkipMode is lost on the Mini.

This is not the case when using one of the Roamio's to stream a recording stored on the other Roamio -- skip-mode works fine streaming across Roamio's.
I was surprised also. I have two Roamio and two Mini. This has been found by others on TCF: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10886542
post #1715 of 3366 Old 05-26-2016, 02:12 PM

It's also quite annoying that skip-mode gets lost if you transfer recordings between TiVo's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1716 of 3366 Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's also quite annoying that skip-mode gets lost if you transfer recordings between TiVo's.
I think SkipMode is designed to be a PITA. I have learned to stream, not copy, to watch shows with SM. I have two basic Roamio boxes. One cable feed. Theory has been posted that bad closed captions cause SM to fail. So, 'splain this. I record The Late Show every night on both boxes. I seldom get SM on both copies and the failing copy moves between boxes. Something else is a factor and TiVo isn't talking. I just count it as one more of life's mysteries. On The Tonight Show, no failures. Ever.
post #1717 of 3366 Old 05-28-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
SM is a godsend, not a PITA. Be thankful that it even halfway works (and it's about 90% good on my single Roamio and 3 Minis, which is at least as good as you'd get doing commercial stripping on your own).
post #1718 of 3366 Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This is just a curiosity item, nothing I'm concerned about, just a follow-up to a post I made several weeks ago. At that time I had noticed a few recordings showed to be deleted within 3 days, although I had plenty of space on my hard drive. From the responses to my post, the consensus was to just ignore the cautions, that nothing would be deleted. And, everyone was right, nothing was deleted.

Recently, the number of recordings with the deletion warning has gotten kind of ridiculous. Again, no concern. I just wonder why TiVo doesn't update the firmware to better predict when recordings will be deleted due running out of disk space.

As you can see in the photo below, only 32% of my Roamio OTA's drive is used up. I did a headcount and the total number of movies and episodes on the drive is 74, and the oldest is May 1st. 19 are flagged to be deleted today, 9 tomorrow, and 7 the day after tomorrow. But, of course, nothing will actually be deleted.

Anyone else have things get this off-kilter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3385.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1495745  
post #1719 of 3366 Old 06-13-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Anyone else have things get this off-kilter?
With a 500GB drive, programs can eat space quickly. My one basic has a 1TB drive, the other has a 3TB drive. I almost never see a yellow dot. I have no hard evidence, but it might be related to the size of your To Do List, Suggestions (mine are off), and deleted items. You know, I'm sure, that the yellow dots are just warnings. I have seen programs in my deleted folder get wiped since I purposely let the drive fill up. I also have no proof, but it seems when deleted programs get near 100, they start getting vaporized. I have nothing set with KUID. Also, the view of your drive from kmttg will show a lot of yellow dots. As a test you could clear your old stuff (use Clear, then confirm). See if this stops the yellow dots.

My viewing habits are: record prime time all week. Watch on weekends. With two boxes I can afford to keep a whole season. I have asked TiVo to add the physical storage free/used to System Information.
post #1720 of 3366 Old 06-13-2016, 04:36 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 56
When all else fails, reboot. I unplugged my TiVo OTA for a few minutes, and when it booted back up, all the deletion warnings were gone. It never ceases to amaze me how a reboot can cure so many ills.
post #1721 of 3366 Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 341
OK I thought this might be a PIA and so far it seems to be
I purchased a new Tivo Peanut remote, it happens to have both IR and RF but for my use I only need the IR part. I currently have a Roamio(that has a IR/RF remote) and HD that only has the IR remote. Previously with the help of members here I programmed both remotes to only control the Tivo they are paired to(both Tivos are right next to each other). Out of the box my new remote controls both my Tivos, I want it to only control my old HD(I'm despising the spongy feel of my old HD peanut remote and much prefer the new Roamio remote and it's snappy buttons). Does anyone know how to program this new remote to only control the old HD? I searched my old posts when I got the Roamio but those posts only related to using one remote to control multiple Tivos, I want one remote to only control one Tivo, blocking the IR sensors isn't a option as the new remote also has RF output and the Tivo I want to control is the other non RF Tivo. mdave?? or any others have a solution?
post #1722 of 3366 Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not really clear on what you posted. But let me try to explain how I live with just the Roamio IR/RF remote with Premiere and Roamio. I have two remotes. One is IR (TiVo + C). The Roamio has a block of wood in front. That box is RF (TiVo + D). So even if I use the IR remote, the Roamio can't do anything. I seldom use the Premiere, but since it doesn't know RF, it doesn't care. I know this may not be your answer. More data:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...g-Instructions
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...parate-Remotes
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512631
post #1723 of 3366 Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I'm not really clear on what you posted. But let me try to explain how I live with just the Roamio IR/RF remote with Premiere and Roamio. I have two remotes. One is IR (TiVo + C). The Roamio has a block of wood in front. That box is RF (TiVo + D). So even if I use the IR remote, the Roamio can't do anything. I seldom use the Premiere, but since it doesn't know RF, it doesn't care. I know this may not be your answer. More data:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...g-Instructions
https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...parate-Remotes
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512631
Thanks for the links, I'll give them a thorough look-over. I had absolutely no luck doing a Google search or a search on Tivo.com.
What I'm trying to do is this:
I purchased a new remote to use with my old Tivo HD. The new remote just happens to have both IR and RF, the HD only uses the IR.
I also have a Roamio next to the HD.
I want the new remote to only control the HD, unfortunately out of the box it controls both my Tivos.
Previously I believe I've programmed the HD for remote code 1 and the Roamio for remote code 2(could be the other way around, I can't remember).
I can't believe Amazon sent out this new new remote without instructions for programming it just the remote in a foam/poly bag
In my case blocking IR sensors will do no good as I want to control the old Tivo and blocking the IR sensor on the Roamio will do no good as it also uses RF.
post #1724 of 3366 Old 06-22-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll give them a thorough look-over. I had absolutely no luck doing a Google search or a search on Tivo.com.
What I'm trying to do is this:
I purchased a new remote to use with my old Tivo HD. The new remote just happens to have both IR and RF, the HD only uses the IR.
I also have a Roamio next to the HD.
I want the new remote to only control the HD, unfortunately out of the box it controls both my Tivos.
Previously I believe I've programmed the HD for remote code 1 and the Roamio for remote code 2(could be the other way around, I can't remember).
I can't believe Amazon sent out this new new remote without instructions for programming it just the remote in a foam/poly bag
In my case blocking IR sensors will do no good as I want to control the old Tivo and blocking the IR sensor on the Roamio will do no good as it also uses RF.
That's too much work. Out of the box a new remote is set to IR channel 0. There are procedures to change the IR remote code number to non-zero. Code zero is default for all TiVo boxes. You can set the HD for code 1 or 2. My Premiere is set to code 2. But I find just blocking the IR from the Roamio is 100% effective. But my Roamio's RF remote sometimes drops to IR mode. It's a known bug.

Honestly, you get tons more support on TCF. All my remotes are the latest IR/RF and I have two Roamio and three Mini boxes. The two Premiere boxes are only used part time. You can check the code number accepted for any remote in the System Information display. FYI:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...4#post10482584
post #1725 of 3366 Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys. How to add vudu app on roamio and mini? I dont see it on my box. Only amazon prime. Vudu i prefer using it. But seems like dont find it how to add.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #1726 of 3366 Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekoy View Post
Hi guys. How to add vudu app on roamio and mini? I dont see it on my box. Only amazon prime. Vudu i prefer using it. But seems like dont find it how to add.

Settings, Channels, My Video Providers. Check the VUDU box.
parekoy likes this.
post #1727 of 3366 Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
VUDU works pretty well on the Roamio IME, I've been using the free T-Mobile Tuesdays movie credit every week for them. App starts up and runs fairly well and playback has been flawless.
post #1728 of 3366 Old 07-01-2016, 02:45 PM

I really like Roamio's integrated implementation for Amazon Prime. I set a season pass for a TV show and if it is on Prime, all the previous seasons show up in the recordings folder for that show. What I like the most is that as we watch the streaming back episodes from Prime, I can hit the delete button and knock that episode off the list just like I would do with a recording. A totally unified interface -- they got it right.

I would suspect that Netflix integrates in the same way, but we don't have Netflix streaming.

- kelson h

post #1729 of 3366 Old 07-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I would suspect that Netflix integrates in the same way, but we don't have Netflix streaming.
Yes it does, the Roamio is our preferred device for streaming Netflix
post #1730 of 3366 Old 07-02-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Yes it does, the Roamio is our preferred device for streaming Netflix
It was my preferred device for Netflix as well until the Netflix audio drop-out bug reared its ugly head on my box. There's a long thread about it over on TCF. Other than for Vudu, which I only ever use once in blue moon, I've completely switched over to my old Apple TV for streaming right now. It handles Hulu, Netflix, HBO and Showtime better than my Roamio OTA. Unfortunately, Apple TV doesn't have Amazon Video but that's not a big deal to me right now since I'm no longer a Prime subscriber...
post #1731 of 3366 Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Settings, Channels, My Video Providers. Check the VUDU box.
I already changed it on my TIVO roamio. Unchecked everything and keep amazon prime and vudu. How come on my roamio it shows amazon prime and vudu. But on my mini it shows amazon prime and plex? I dont want plex and i already unchecked it on my roamio. How to show the vudu on my mini?

post #1732 of 3366 Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekoy View Post
I already changed it on my TIVO roamio. Unchecked everything and keep amazon prime and vudu. How come on my roamio it shows amazon prime and vudu. But on my mini it shows amazon prime and plex? I dont want plex and i already unchecked it on my roamio. How to show the vudu on my mini?
Wait a day, or restart the Mini. Many things on the Mini are a mystery to me. But I use mine every day.
parekoy likes this.
post #1733 of 3366 Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Wait a day, or restart the Mini. Many things on the Mini are a mystery to me. But I use mine every day.
Restarting the mini did the trick! Thanks a lot!

post #1734 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
For the past few days, the TiVo OTA was plagued with very slow response when selecting which recording to play. The spinning blue dashed circle would appear for 20 to 30 seconds while navigating the recording selection. Warm Restarting the TiVo using Settings & Messages, Help, Restart or Reset did not improve things.

Yesterday I Cold Booted by putting the TiVo in Standby, removing the power for about 30 seconds, then restoring power. That seems to have resolved the issue as the spinning circle has not returned, and response is back to normal.
post #1735 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
For the past few days, the TiVo OTA was plagued with very slow response when selecting which recording to play. The spinning blue dashed circle would appear for 20 to 30 seconds while navigating the recording selection. Warm Restarting the TiVo using Settings & Messages, Help, Restart or Reset did not improve things.

Yesterday I Cold Booted by putting the TiVo in Standby, removing the power for about 30 seconds, then restoring power. That seems to have resolved the issue as the spinning circle has not returned, and response is back to normal.
I call it the SNL virus. It has been a constant with SNL, but I saw it with The Tonight Show from last night. I'm going to guess that you are hitting play from My Shows. The condition does not happen if you right arrow on the program and then select Play. I saved SNL shows from earlier this year and they still have the problem. I can transfer them to another Roamio and they still have that BSC.

That said, my Roamio failed to get its update yesterday (once) and today (twice). I did a manual connection without any problems. Today I'm going to change my internet connection and see if there is any failure tomorrow.

This condition has been observed on TCF also.
post #1736 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
....I'm going to guess that you are hitting play from My Shows. The condition does not happen if you right arrow on the program and then select Play.....
To play a program I always right arrow into the folder, then right arrow into the particular program I want to watch and finally right arrow(or is it select??) to play the program, and I also occasionally experience the spinning circle. It never lasts more than 10?? seconds and generally only lasts a few seconds but I never had the issue on my old HD. I thought maybe it's because of the size of my HDD(upgraded to 3TB) but my HD has a 1TB drive(also upgraded by me) and I don't have this issue. Both my Tivos are on a UPS and rarely if ever get rebooted, the spinning circle only happens occasionally and it doesn't bother me too much. What has bothered me a couple times is I believe my Roamio might be occasionally rebooting. Case in point last week I missed the last couple minutes of all my recordings from 9-10pm I was home and no power outages but I wasn't around the Tivo to notice anything odd, all I can think of was a reboot because I get excellent OTA signal and nothing was breaking up before the recordings stopped......weird.
post #1737 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
For the past few days, the TiVo OTA was plagued with very slow response when selecting which recording to play. The spinning blue dashed circle would appear for 20 to 30 seconds while navigating the recording selection.
I experience that on occasion. It seems like the Roamio is caught doing some sort of system operation in the background that it can't push off. For me however, it is a 1-off event that occurs infrequently.

Your post did remind me that I can't remember the last time I may have rebooted any of the TiVo's in the house. I like to do that every couple months or so but sometimes it just slips by. I'm going to make a note to myself to reboot them all tonight. thanks

- kelson h

post #1738 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
What has bothered me a couple times is I believe my Roamio might be occasionally rebooting. Case in point last week I missed the last couple minutes of all my recordings from 9-10pm
When you play the recording, check the on-screen time bar for the duration of the recording. If the TiVo rebooted during the recording, you won't see the full hour for the recording. If you see the full hour of recording then it is something else, like maybe the network shifted the broadcast time. I think the info screen for the recording will also tell you the duration of the recording.

Also, if a TiVo reboots during a recording and comes back up before the scheduled end of the recording session, it will restart the recording as a second file in the program list.
pachinko likes this.

- kelson h

post #1739 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
When you play the recording, check the on-screen time bar for the duration of the recording. If the TiVo rebooted during the recording, you won't see the full hour for the recording. If you see the full hour of recording then it is something else, like maybe the network shifted the broadcast time. I think the info screen for the recording will also tell you the duration of the recording.

Also, if a TiVo reboots during a recording and comes back up before the scheduled end of the recording session, it will restart the recording as a second file in the program list.
Yes in the case of the other night my bar showed the scheduled program length but my recording times were 3 minutes short, sounds like a reboot then. In this case all my events ended at 10pm and I didn't have any after until 10:35pm and those recorded without a hitch. If it does this again I guess I'll try pulling the power cord, otherwise everything is working good so I hate to upset the apple cart.
Note I've also see a short recording if I was having signal issue problems, anywhere from missing a few minutes to more, this was not the case though as I haven't had signal issues in quite a while and there were no breakups prior to the recording ending.
post #1740 of 3366 Old 07-13-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
I call it the SNL virus. It has been a constant with SNL, but I saw it with The Tonight Show from last night. I'm going to guess that you are hitting play from My Shows. The condition does not happen if you right arrow on the program and then select Play. I saved SNL shows from earlier this year and they still have the problem. I can transfer them to another Roamio and they still have that BSC.

That said, my Roamio failed to get its update yesterday (once) and today (twice). I did a manual connection without any problems. Today I'm going to change my internet connection and see if there is any failure tomorrow.

This condition has been observed on TCF also.
Your guesses are usually pretty good, but not this time, because I never even knew that pressing Play from My Shows would do anything. Thanks for the tip!

It was happening after pressing Select on a series while in My Shows. Then again after selecting a show and pressing Select. If I recall correctly, when pressing Select on the Play option for the recording, play would begin immediately. Now, whatever I try, even on shows that exhibited this issue, there is no lag.

This same issue happened months ago after one of the TiVo updates, although the spinning circle appeared for only 5 or 10 seconds (as I recall). Lots of folks were complaining about it, so I did not try anything to fix it. At some point, maybe after another update, the problem went away.

Quote:
I experience that on occasion. It seems like the Roamio is caught doing some sort of system operation in the background that it can't push off. For me however, it is a 1-off event that occurs infrequently.

Your post did remind me that I can't remember the last time I may have rebooted any of the TiVo's in the house. I like to do that every couple months or so but sometimes it just slips by. I'm going to make a note to myself to reboot them all tonight. thanks
Yeah, I see the lag now and then too, always short lived, and not lasting for days. Definitely of little concern. This time, I thought the same thing as you, that the TiVo was busy doing something "important", but it kept it up for several days so that's unlikely. The TiVo did have trouble calling home during that time, and I had to reboot the router, modem, and TiVo. After that it was able to connect to the network, but the long lag continued.

The very first day after I got the TiVo, I had to call tech support because the darn thing quit connecting to the TiVo network. The guy had me Cold Boot it, and all was well after that. After that I've done a few Warm Restarts, but I think only to force an update at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page