TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2041 of 3348 Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclifford View Post
That's when I realized that the advanced algorithms designed into most tuner circuitry to clean up a signal simply were not sufficient in this DVR device.

No, I did not try the FM filter.

Hope that answers your questions, jjeff.

Regards,

mjclifford
Personally I can't see it being the HDD if it only happens on one channel but either way Tivo should have offered to send you out a replacement Roamio. Again while not very common it is possible you just got a bad Tivo, of course it sounds like you've already returned your Tivo and probably don't want to frustrate yourself anymore but IMO they really should have offered to swap your Tivo.
In regards to the FM filter, I had it work once and it was like a miracle, breakups before none after, it's believe that a strong FM station could somehow effect the AGC of the Tivo. For the $10 the filter was(which was somewhat hard to find retail now that Radio Shack is basically gone) was a godsend. Of course I've seen similar things where the FM filter didn't work either so it's not a cure all, just another tool in your tool bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 3348 Old 12-12-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
But how does a bad HDD just affect one channel like that?

As I'm having a similar problem with my OTA Roamio with only one channel, the local MyTV outlet KCOP-13 DT, that I received for over a year and a half with no problems. Since around late August during the time of the Rovi changeover keeps glitching badly to where whole blocks of pixels along with sound seem to randomly dropout. Notice the RS uncorrected error count jumps up 20 to over 100 points whenever it happens.

Tried switching everything and rotating the rooftop antenna. Still no joy ...

All other ATSC tuners in the house receive KCOP just fine.

Oh, and KCOP's SNR is 29 db and received signal level is at 70% ...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
i couldn't tell you the technical reasons for it, but that happened to me once on a Tivo Premiere. every channel came in fine except NBC, i had great signal and every other device worked. i did a Kickstart 54 (https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php) and it showed hard drive errors. i replaced the drive, NBC worked as it should have. I ran spinrite on the original drive, it repaired it, installed it back on the tivo, and NBC was fine. unless its your whole tivo (if you can get another tivo to test), i would check the drive.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #2043 of 3348 Old 12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Ok ... I can try this, but I've already tried all tuners on the channel, and they all behave the same way. And yes I was informed earlier on this forum thread that the "RS Corrected" error count does not register on the OTA Roamio/Basic.

But I was also told here that the 35-36 db SNR recommendation is needed for digital cable QAM signals.

A 27-29 db SNR and 67-70% signal level in the diagnostics for ATSC OTA is more than fine.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I would stay on TCF. Much better participation: http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...#post-11011333
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 3348 Old 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
i couldn't tell you the technical reasons for it, but that happened to me once on a Tivo Premiere. every channel came in fine except NBC, i had great signal and every other device worked. i did a Kickstart 54 (https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php) and it showed hard drive errors. i replaced the drive, NBC worked as it should have. I ran spinrite on the original drive, it repaired it, installed it back on the tivo, and NBC was fine. unless its your whole tivo (if you can get another tivo to test), i would check the drive.

It could be that the station transmits in a slightly different format that the others don't and since the tivo buffers/records everything that comes into it, that it trips up the tivo resulting in the macro locks you see in screen.

iirc, we are seeing something similar on some cable feeds as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I would stay on TCF. Much better participation: http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...#post-11011333

Yeah, if you're not banned from there for asinine reasons!
post #2045 of 3348 Old 12-13-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yeah, if you're not banned from there for asinine reasons!
We tried to get you back, but that was blocked. They're idiots.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #2046 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Signal Strength

I got my new Roamio yesterday, and I'm just getting used to it. The signal strength is the main thing I'm concerned about, so I'll be monitoring it before my return date cut-off. I don't really understand why the strength numbers are so different between DVR's. On my 2-channel Channel Master CM 7000, most of my stations come in around 93. If they go below 77, I pretty much lose them. Now I've got the 4-channel Tivo, and even the strongest stations are around 60 - 65, some hovering around 58. There seems to be a little breakup in the 50's on Channel 69, although most channels seem pretty good. I'd still love to have better numbers. It's really weird that my strongest station, Fox 5 in Atlanta, is now weaker than some of the others. One entire subset of stations (This TV, Comet TV, etc) come in like digital garbage in the high 30's - low 40's.

So, do the manufacturers just make up random numbers to assign signal strength? I'm trying to get my bearings on this. After years of trial & error, I've got an indoor Leaf antenna fairly high up on the wall. It's not amplified because that causes some stations to drop a lot. I've also tried an RF modulator with the amp, but that doesn't help. So I'm kind of stuck with my antenna system - not ready to get an outdoor antenna and drill through the alpine roof at this point.

I'm wondering what kind of reception other people get, and what these numbers mean. I'm also wondering how common reception problems are, like the kind some of the posters on this thread have been having. I'm pretty tired of the known issues with the CM-7000, but reception is going to be my main barometer for whether to stay with the Tivo. Which is a pretty great DVR from what I can tell.
post #2047 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post
So, do the manufacturers just make up random numbers to assign signal strength? I'm trying to get my bearings on this.
Pretty much true. You can compare signal numbers on various boxes all day. How about your TV? Does it have numbers? But I'm cable, so I can only give you some pointers.

There are two places you can see signal strength. The usual one is TiVo box Diagnostics. That's also where SNR can be found. The other location is Settings, Channels, Signal Strength. With the latter you see the raw signal as AGC tries to adjust it. The "normal" level for OTA is 72. The 72 is what you will see in the Diagnostics screen, along with a SNR of 35/36dB. I also have a Premiere. It has less AGC and where my Roamio says 90 (cable normal), my Premiere says 80-85. But both, and my TV, say the SNR is 36db. That's two Roamio boxes, two Premiere boxes and two Sony televisions. All have a SNR of 36db. Since your signal strength is on the low side, you actually are better that having a higher number since the tuner of a Roamio gets overloaded easily and you will have blocking errors on the screen. BTW, there are two error counters: RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected. The RS Corrected is always zero. I put a bug report in two years ago, but nothing has been done.

It's strange that WAGA is your lowest signal. A 1MW UHF channel should be pretty strong. However, with four sub-channels, I wonder about the bit rate.

Hope this helps.
ko220 likes this.
post #2048 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Pretty much true. You can compare signal numbers on various boxes all day. How about your TV? Does it have numbers? But I'm cable, so I can only give you some pointers.

There are two places you can see signal strength. The usual one is TiVo box Diagnostics. That's also where SNR can be found. The other location is Settings, Channels, Signal Strength. With the latter you see the raw signal as AGC tries to adjust it. The "normal" level for OTA is 72. The 72 is what you will see in the Diagnostics screen, along with a SNR of 35/36dB. I also have a Premiere. It has less AGC and where my Roamio says 90 (cable normal), my Premiere says 80-85. But both, and my TV, say the SNR is 36db. That's two Roamio boxes, two Premiere boxes and two Sony televisions. All have a SNR of 36db. Since your signal strength is on the low side, you actually are better that having a higher number since the tuner of a Roamio gets overloaded easily and you will have blocking errors on the screen. BTW, there are two error counters: RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected. The RS Corrected is always zero. I put a bug report in two years ago, but nothing has been done.

It's strange that WAGA is your lowest signal. A 1MW UHF channel should be pretty strong. However, with four sub-channels, I wonder about the bit rate.

Hope this helps.
I'm going to check all this against my Roamio - I haven't looked at diagnostics. WAGA isn't my lowest channel, but where it used to be around 100 it's now lower than some others, like in the low 60's. Go figure. This does help, and after I check it I'll let you know what the SNR says. I'm new to SNR.
post #2049 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to check all this against my Roamio - I haven't looked at diagnostics. WAGA isn't my lowest channel, but where it used to be around 100 it's now lower than some others, like in the low 60's. Go figure. This does help, and after I check it I'll let you know what the SNR says. I'm new to SNR.
All the numbers are subject to, and have been used for, debates. So you may get many opinions. As for SNR:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio which should be the least debated number. Good luck.
ko220 likes this.
post #2050 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
....On my 2-channel Channel Master CM 7000...
The CM-7000 CECB is the pinnacle of low signal reception, the only thing really in it's class is the Zenith DTT and clone Insignia. Not that the Tivo is bad, you just can't compare it to the best and expect similar results
Numbers basically mean nothing between different products, just more with a particular device is better.
wizwor and ko220 like this.
post #2051 of 3348 Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I checked the signal strength on my two TiVo OTA's and my Panasonic TV. All are on the same feed with a 3 way splitter, TiVo 1 on a -3.5dB leg, TiVo 2 and the TV on -7dB legs of the splitter.

CH__ TiVo 1__TiVo 2__TV
11.1---72-------72------93
13.1---72-------72------95
27.1---67-------67------88
49.1---72-------67------90

Only one reading different between the two TiVo's despite the extra loss from the splitter on one of them. I would have expected an across the board drop in level.
post #2052 of 3348 Old 12-19-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The CM-7000 CECB is the pinnacle of low signal reception, the only thing really in it's class is the Zenith DTT and clone Insignia. Not that the Tivo is bad, you just can't compare it to the best and expect similar results
Numbers basically mean nothing between different products, just more with a particular device is better.
Well, that's very interesting and good to know, because my dalliance with the Roamio is over (sigh). The nail in the coffin was reception (or lack of it) on the channel with Supergirl and the Flash - and I've got to get my sci-fi fix. I mean, it sorta came in in the mid-50's, but it was pixellated. After messing around with the Leaf antenna, moving it, attaching the amp, putting an rf modulater in line, etc, I concluded that the 4-tuner Tivo wasn't going to get the reception I needed. It's going back today. As I've mentioned, I'm not ready to get a rooftop antenna and drill through the alpine roof, and I get really good reception with the CM.

It is really good to know that the CM-7000 has great tuners, and it's interesting to hear about these other units. Because my search for a less-buggy DVR will continue. Thanks to everybody who helped answer my questions
post #2053 of 3348 Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post
I checked the signal strength on my two TiVo OTA's and my Panasonic TV. All are on the same feed with a 3 way splitter, TiVo 1 on a -3.5dB leg, TiVo 2 and the TV on -7dB legs of the splitter.

CH__ TiVo 1__TiVo 2__TV
11.1---72-------72------93
13.1---72-------72------95
27.1---67-------67------88
49.1---72-------67------90

Only one reading different between the two TiVo's despite the extra loss from the splitter on one of them. I would have expected an across the board drop in level.
I would be happy with those numbers. The lower numbers are on LP stations, 480i, and with a bunch of sub-channels. Like I posted, 72 is normal for a four tuner Roamio.
post #2054 of 3348 Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I would be happy with those numbers. The lower numbers are on LP stations, 480i, and with a bunch of sub-channels. Like I posted, 72 is normal for a four tuner Roamio.
I'm not complaining, just a little surprised at the results because of the splitter. My only reception problems are occasional short breakups caused by semi trucks driving between my antenna and the broadcast tower. If I were to get my antenna higher I'm sure that would go away.
post #2055 of 3348 Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Commercial cutting with VRD using SkipMode data

I finally got around to experimenting with using kmttg to import TiVo SkipMode data and subsequently use it to cut commercials from transferred recordings. It turned out to be extremely simple.

I use Video ReDo (VRD) to do all my editing -- it was made for this. It can decrypt a .tivo file for editing and save it in several popular formats -- .mpg, .mkv, .m2ts, etc. But of most value, for me, is that it can save the edited source back as a .tivo file and retain all the metadata so when it is transferred back to the TiVo it fits right in. Also, VRD directly interfaces with kmttg -- there is a VRD tab in the kmttg Configure dialog to specify location of the VRD executable and select options for how you want it to behave.

So, onto doing it.
Simply launch kmttg and refresh the TiVo NPL. Any recordings with SkipMode data are identified with the word "Skip" in the first column. Highlight a program and import the SkipMode data from the TiVo by typing the bindkey "v" (or rt-clk and select "Autoskip from Skipmode"). After the status window shows the import is complete, export the SkipMode cut data to a VRD .vprj project file by typing the bindkey "e" (or rt-clk and select "Export AutoSkip cuts"). Then use kmttg to transfer the recording from the TiVo. The folders where these are transferred to are specified in the "File Settings" tab of the kmttg Configure dialog.

Couple options here:
  • If you want to use VRD to inspect the cutpoints and/or save to the filetype of your choice, including .tivo, simply double-click on the .vprj file after the recording has transferred. This launches VRD, loads the recording file and applies the cutpoints. The cutpoints from SkipMode data are not perfect but pretty close. You will get a couple cuts where there may be a second or 2 of lead-in commercial. If you are fussy, that is what VRD is for and you can clean these up quickly before saving the file (which processes the cuts).
  • If you are not fussy and just want to be quick about it -and- you just want the edited file to be in standard .mpg format for portability, sharing or archival storage -- use kmttg to transfer the recording but select the check box for "Ad Cut". kmttg will transfer the .tivo recording then run VRD using the .vprj file containing the SkipMode data to cut the commercials -- all in 1 shot. The end result is an .mpg file without commercials -- UNLESS YOU HAVE kmttg SET TO DOWNLOAD IN TRANSPORT STREAM FORMAT -- in which case the end result is a .ts file.

It is pretty simple -- have fun.

Addendum: If you don't have VRD, I'm positive you can still do this using the ad-cutter included with kmttg with the SkipMode data. I just haven't played with that yet to document it. I'll get to it in the next day or 2.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 12-20-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #2056 of 3348 Old 12-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Commercial cutting without VRD using SkipMode data

It turns out that cutting the commercials using kmttg & TiVo SkipMode data without having Video ReDo (VRD) is equally simple although not nearly as versatile -- you can't preview the cut points before the actual cutting (analogous to having only the second option above). Here is how to do it when you do not have the box checked to enable VRD.

As before, launch kmttg and refresh the TiVo NPL. Any recordings with SkipMode data are identified with the word "Skip" in the first column. Highlight a program and import the SkipMode data from the TiVo by typing the bindkey "v" (or rt-clk and select "Autoskip from Skipmode"). After the status window shows the import is complete, export the SkipMode cut data to an .edl cut-file by typing the bindkey "e" (or rt-clk and select "Export AutoSkip cuts"). Then use kmttg to transfer the recording from the TiVo, decrypt and ad-cut, as follows. The folders where these are transferred to are specified in the "File Settings" tab of the kmttg Configure dialog.

Highlight the recording(s) to transfer in kmttg. Select the check boxes for "decrypt" and "Ad Cut" then start the job. This queues up 3 jobs in kmttg for the selection to: 1) transfer the .tivo recording; 2) decrypt it to produce an .mpg file; 3) run the cut app which uses the .edl file from the SkipMode data to cut the commercials. The end result is an .mpg file without commercials.

With kmttg you can select multiple recordings to process. First import all the SkipMode data from the recordings you want to process then export all the SkipMode cut data to .edl cut-files. Then just walk away and let it run.

Addendum: Importing SkipMode data is not a transparent process. kmttg sends the TiVo a bunch of commands that simulate remote key presses to step through the recording and gather the Skip data. This means the TiVo is disrupted from whatever it was playing and the process is visible on the screen as you watch your TiVo play and skip through the selected recording under kmttg control. When kmttg is done it returns the TiVo to where it was.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2057 of 3348 Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Commercial cutting without VRD using SkipMode data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I finally got around to experimenting with using kmttg to import TiVo SkipMode data and subsequently use it to cut commercials from transferred recordings. It turned out to be extremely simple.
Quote:
It turns out that cutting the commercials using kmttg & TiVo SkipMode data without having Video ReDo (VRD) is equally simple although not nearly as versatile -- you can't preview the cut points before the actual cutting (analogous to having only the second option above). Here is how to do it when you do not have the box checked to enable VRD.
Thanks for outlining both procedures! I would like to add the following points:

1. Bindkey "v" imports the SkipMode cut points for one selected recording at a time. If multiple recordings are selected, only the most recent recording is processed. Optionally, all recordings with SkipMode data that have not been imported can be imported in one step using the bindkey "w".

2. Bindkey "e" exports the SkipMode cut points to an .edl file for one selected recording at a time. If multiple recordings are selected, only the most recent recording is processed. There is no notification that only one was processed, other than monitoring the kmttg message area, nor any notification that the process is complete (although it only takes a split second). As such, exporting must be repeated for each recording.

3. Captions can be processed as well. The Captions between the cut points are removed, and the remaining Caption time stamps are updated. Of course, captions are only as good as the original (and what CCExtractor produces), and editing for text corrections and syncing with the video may be required. (see "Edit 2" below)

Edit 1: kmttg version 2.2s (2017/04/17) directly addresses the shortcomings of items 1 and 2, allowing multiple recordings to be processed in one step.

Edit 2: The trick to having the captions stay in sync with the video (as stated in item 3 above) is to put a check mark in the kmttg "Ad Cut" box. That causes kmttg to wait for VideoReDo to produce the cut version of the video before calling CCExtractor to create the subtitles based upon the cut video.

Last edited by pachinko; 04-30-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: See "Edit 2"
post #2058 of 3348 Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Quote:
It is really good to know that the CM-7000 has great tuners, and it's interesting to hear about these other units. Because my search for a less-buggy DVR will continue. Thanks to everybody who helped answer my questions
Just an FYI, the CM-7000 CECB, Zenith DTT and the Insignia are single tuner digital to analog converter boxes only. The CM-7000 PAL DVR is the Dish DTV PAL 2 tuner DVR clone. There may be some confusion using the term CM-7000. Why Channel Master used the same number on 2 totally different products is a mystery.
post #2059 of 3348 Old 12-21-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFore9 View Post
Just an FYI, the CM-7000 CECB, Zenith DTT and the Insignia are single tuner digital to analog converter boxes only. The CM-7000 PAL DVR is the Dish DTV PAL 2 tuner DVR clone. There may be some confusion using the term CM-7000. Why Channel Master used the same number on 2 totally different products is a mystery.
Yes thanks for clarifying that, I only have experience with the single tuner CM-7000 CECB, since OP mentioned "tuners" and "DVR" I'm now thinking they may have been talking about the CM DVR......I agree having two products by the same company with the same model number isn't very good
post #2060 of 3348 Old 12-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
1. Bindkey "v" imports the SkipMode cut points for one selected recording at a time. If multiple recordings are selected, only the most recent recording is processed. Optionally, all recordings with SkipMode data that have not been imported can be imported in one step using the bindkey "w".

2. Bindkey "e" exports the SkipMode cut points to an .edl file for one selected recording at a time. If multiple recordings are selected, only the most recent recording is processed.
Yes, it was a disappointment that kmttg didn't support import/export of Skip data on selected groups and you have to do it 1 at a time. This functionality is pretty new and so milti-selection functionality may come in a future release. It used to be that you had to select multiple recordings for transfer 1 at a time, then they eventually implemented the ability to select a shows folder to transfer all the episodes within.

- kelson h

post #2061 of 3348 Old 12-22-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFore9 View Post
Yeah, when I started to search for these thinking they were DVR's, I found out quickly that they were converter boxes. I don't know why CM used the same number either, but then I also don't know why they don't issue a software update for the older product to fix some of the issues, especially the DST freakout. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. They want to sell the Plus, which I understand. But it seems like there would be more brand loyalty if they stood behind the older unit too.
post #2062 of 3348 Old 12-22-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Only problem with kmttg and the included internal ad-cutter (comskip) is that it doesn't work with mpeg4 channels, which on Comcast is most of them. I think you can donate money to the comskip dev to get the version that does support them, though.
post #2063 of 3348 Old 12-23-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Only problem with kmttg and the included internal ad-cutter (comskip) is that it doesn't work with mpeg4 channels, which on Comcast is most of them. I think you can donate money to the comskip dev to get the version that does support them, though.
If one had to pony up $$ for H.264 functionality, I would advocate spending it on Video ReDo. One of the best software investments I've made.
aaronwt and osu1991 like this.

- kelson h

post #2064 of 3348 Old 12-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is there any sticky for tips and tricks with roamio using the remote?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #2065 of 3348 Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
If one had to pony up $$ for H.264 functionality, I would advocate spending it on Video ReDo. One of the best software investments I've made.
Yes. I've been using VideoReDo for many, many years now. It's a great program to use with my TiVo recordings.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2066 of 3348 Old 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. I've been using VideoReDo for many, many years now. It's a great program to use with my TiVo recordings.
Did you see any reason to upgrade to v5 from v4?
As hard as I looked at the specs. I couldn't see anything significantly different or feature improved over v4.
I'm still running v4.

- kelson h

post #2067 of 3348 Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Did you see any reason to upgrade to v5 from v4?
As hard as I looked at the specs. I couldn't see anything significantly different or feature improved over v4.
I'm still running v4.
I never used version 4. I went from version 3 to version 5. If I remember correctly, I did that after FiOS started adding some H.264 channels. So I needed to be able to deal with those recordings. And version 5 was the newest one. Plus it was a discounted upgrade.

EDIT: Or maybe I just lost my credentials for version 4. I'm not sure. I can only find info for v3 and v5 but I remember years ago losing some info with my PC setup for TiVos transfers and only had my info for version 3.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-29-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #2068 of 3348 Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by parekoy View Post
Is there any sticky for tips and tricks with roamio using the remote?
http://blog.tivo.com/2010/08/guest-p...knew-it-could/

I think the quick hide of the play bar is missing from that post - it's Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select while playing a video. Has to be reenabled after a reboot but this is a must-have for me to avoid pause ads.
osu1991 and parekoy like this.
post #2069 of 3348 Old 12-31-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So you are now in the same position I was in -- had an HD; bought a Roamio Basic; bought a Mini at $80 for the kitchen.

Then the first $300 OTA deal surfaced and I bought one immediately to take the place of the HD in the bedroom. Never looked back. HD is retired, I gave it a good send-off. Now with 3TB drives in each Roamio I love being able to split up the recording duties and stream programs back and forth between the 2 Roamio's and the Mini. The NFL playoff games are actually being recorded on the Bedroom Roamio and watched on the family room Roamio. Can't do that with the HD.

Go for it Jeff. You may not get another chance. Your wife will be happy you did.
Well it took me a year to do it(and the price dropped by $100 ) but I finally took your suggestion. I now have (2) OTAs, one in media room one in bedroom, a Mini in the basement and my old HD(that has lifetime and S-video so I don't want to get rid of it) sitting next to my media room OTA. Everything is now networked, the media room OTA and HD through a PLA to my router, the Mini through a PLA to my router and lastly the bedroom OTA via WiFi to the router I also bought a Red 3TB HDD thinking I'd install it in the new OTA but I'm beginning to think I might not need it as the main use for it will be for the local 10pm news and Netflix, I probably won't be recording too many programs on it.
I had to look through my old posts to figure how to remove various "bloatware" from my new OTA but I now have it working just like my media room OTA and I'm happy. Now to find the time to install and configure another OTA I bought(for the $199 lifetime special) for my mother, she should be very happy having Tivos nice 10+ day guide. Currently she just relies on PSIP which is lucky to go out a day and lacks a couple LPS as LPSs aren't required by law to provide PSIP guide data
post #2070 of 3348 Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Well it took me a year to do it(and the price dropped by $100 ) but I finally took your suggestion. I now have (2) OTAs, one in media room one in bedroom, a Mini in the basement and my old HD(that has lifetime and S-video so I don't want to get rid of it) sitting next to my media room OTA. Everything is now networked, the media room OTA and HD through a PLA to my router, the Mini through a PLA to my router and lastly the bedroom OTA via WiFi to the router I also bought a Red 3TB HDD thinking I'd install it in the new OTA but I'm beginning to think I might not need it as the main use for it will be for the local 10pm news and Netflix, I probably won't be recording too many programs on it.
I had to look through my old posts to figure how to remove various "bloatware" from my new OTA but I now have it working just like my media room OTA and I'm happy. Now to find the time to install and configure another OTA I bought(for the $199 lifetime special) for my mother, she should be very happy having Tivos nice 10+ day guide. Currently she just relies on PSIP which is lucky to go out a day and lacks a couple LPS as LPSs aren't required by law to provide PSIP guide data
Since I never have run into recording conflicts and run out of tuners, I opted instead to upgrade the internal HDD to a Red 8TB for that same $190. There have been many sales on the 8TB WD external drives which really just house a Red 8TB drive. Now I can store entire seasons of a show and binge watch them during down times. Paired with a TiVo mini, this made for a much better whole home solution than offloading shows to my Netgear NAS (lost skip and CC when archived). I guess if I had a house full of people fighting for a tuner, then this might not have worked as well, but I don't watch a lot of live TV anymore. Binge watching for me is much more desirable. In that rare case that I do need to view a live broadcast when all the tuners are used, I still have my built in Tuner on the TV.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page