TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2221 of 3348 Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post
I left the hard drive off since I had an older 1tb passport that works just fine. What will be the determining factor for me will be how easy it is to distribute thru the house. We have 4 tvs, all with roku so tablo made that a snap. It boils down to how much I want to spend on mini's and how much better is the quality experience vs tablo. I may get 2 minis then rely on kmttg to archive and get it on the 4th tv via plex. I found minis on sale for $129, and found some used ones for $80 on ebay - so in the next 3 weeks I hope to have this figured out.. got rid of directv last month and havent missed anything other than dvr of local programming..
Mini's are extenders. They connect to the main TiVo through a hard ethernet connection and the UI experience is the same as if you were looking at the TiVo. You can play anything on that TiVo and retain all the features like commercial skip -- that also means chase-playing a recording that is in progress. You can view live TV from one of the tuners on that TiVo with pause and rewind. You can schedule recordings and delete them -- all as if you were on the main TiVo. If you have streaming services like Netflix or Prime they are integrated in and accessible from the Mini the same as with the TiVo.

kmttg running on a server (always on PC) will allow you to automatically transfer recordings to that PC after the recording is complete and strip away the TiVo wrapper to leave an .mpg file in the original MPEG-2 encoding. All the commercials will be there so unless your playback device has a good FF and/or skip function, it will be cumbersome to watch. Your playback device also has to support MPEG-2 -- I think Roku no longer does for local media -- not sure.

If you want whole-house functionality you are better off with Mini's on your network. Just upgrade the HDD on the TiVo to 3TB. If you also want wireless connectivity for streaming to your phone or tablets, add a TiVo Stream.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 04-06-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 3348 Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Note that TiVo Streams are no longer sold through TiVo. You can only get them through 3rd Party sellers now.
post #2223 of 3348 Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Installed the tivo on Saturday and also picked up a mini from amazon that arrived on Saturday as well. I must say, for the first 2 days it has been a great experience. The quality is outstanding when compared to the tablo. The interface is snappy, the guide is quick and the mini runs very well. I did have an issue with getting the mini running, but if you actually read the directions before you start and just dont go plugging stuff in it helps. This week I am going to work on kmttg and distributing programs via the plex media server to the other tv's. My next goal is to see how well it works on other devices while in the house - specifically a surface tablet. I believe tivo desktop is what I will want to use, correct? Based on the first 2 days, its looking like the tivo is a keeper! i may have to resign myself to the fact that streaming it out of the house is not going to happen without tivo stream.. but then again, once its on plex, I can grab it from anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2224 of 3348 Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Since the Roamio OTA doesn't have a built in stream, if you get a TiVo stream, then you can easily stream the content to a ta let or cell phone. With some of the trick play full from a intact.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2225 of 3348 Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
I believe tivo desktop is what I will want to use, correct? Based on the first 2 days, its looking like the tivo is a keeper! i may have to resign myself to the fact that streaming it out of the house is not going to happen without tivo stream.. but then again, once its on plex, I can grab it from anywhere.
You will do better to skip Desktop. It's no longer supported by TiVo, can only move .TiVo programs from a PC to/from a TiVo and that can be iffy. Stick with other well supported programs:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...s-tivotogo.35/
post #2226 of 3348 Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
This week I am going to work on kmttg and distributing programs via the plex media server to the other tv's. My next goal is to see how well it works on other devices while in the house - specifically a surface tablet. I believe tivo desktop is what I will want to use, correct? Based on the first 2 days, its looking like the tivo is a keeper! i may have to resign myself to the fact that streaming it out of the house is not going to happen without tivo stream.. but then again, once its on plex, I can grab it from anywhere.
When you configure kmttg use the following string for your "File Naming" template:

[mainTitle] - [SeriesEpNumber] - [episodeTitle] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

This will name the downloads in the required Plex compatible format so the Plex server will be able to scrape the meta-data without your intervention. I also recommend you select to option to "Decrypt using tivolibre instead of tivodecode" which you will find on the Program Options tab. You can then use Plex to stream the titles to any device with a Plex client in or out of the house. You will still have the problem of skipping commercials if the Plex client doesn't have decent FF capabilities. I didn't realize that TiVo Stream has been discontinued.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2227 of 3348 Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You will do better to skip Desktop. It's no longer supported by TiVo, can only move .TiVo programs from a PC to/from a TiVo and that can be iffy. Stick with other well supported programs:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...s-tivotogo.35/
IF you have it installed though, and also have the VideoReDo TvSuite software installed, you can copy Tivo shows to your pc then edit them to remove commercials or whatever, and then save them in all sorts of different formats.

VideoReDo needs the Tivo Desktop software as a front-end to unencrypt the .Tivo video using your personal Media Key.
post #2228 of 3348 Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
IF you have it installed though, and also have the VideoReDo TvSuite software installed, you can copy Tivo shows to your pc then edit them to remove commercials or whatever, and then save them in all sorts of different formats.

VideoReDo needs the Tivo Desktop software as a front-end to unencrypt the .Tivo video using your personal Media Key.
No argument. I have Desktop and VideoReDo, and they work well for me. I have limited success sending .TiVo programs back to a TiVo, and the video publish function has been broken by TiVo for a while. With 20.7.1 the music has been fixed. My viewing habits are very limited.
post #2229 of 3348 Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
That is only the case if you want VRD to re-save the edited recording as a .tivo file to retain all the meta-data. The only reason to do that is if one has plans to send the recording(s) back to the TiVo at a future date and want the TiVo to store all the episodes of a show in their own folder and display episode meta-data.

Otherwise, check the options in kmttg to strip the .tivo wrapper during the download process and leave a standard .mpg file. VRD will open and edit that directly without the need for the TiVo Desktop .dll to be present.

As a note, you can transfer an edited .mpg file back to a TiVo for playback. It will show up in the My Shows list but without any metadata and no episode grouping.

As a second note, search back in this thread for my post detailing how to download the TiVo SkipMode data with kmttg and how to use it with VRD to cut the commercials.
Primestar31 likes this.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 04-11-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #2230 of 3348 Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Question Absolute, or Is There Some 'Wiggle Room'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
When you configure kmttg use the following string for your "File Naming" template:

[mainTitle] - [SeriesEpNumber] - [episodeTitle] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

This will name the downloads in the required Plex compatible format so the Plex server will be able to scrape the meta-data without your intervention. I also recommend you select to option to "Decrypt using tivolibre instead of tivodecode" which you will find on the Program Options tab. You can then use Plex to stream the titles to any device with a Plex client in or out of the house. You will still have the problem of skipping commercials if the Plex client doesn't have decent FF capabilities. I didn't realize that TiVo Stream has been discontinued.
Can I add anything (like [movieYear] [originalAirDate]) to the end of your template, or must it remain verbatim for the Plex server to be able to use it?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #2231 of 3348 Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
Can I add anything (like [movieYear] [originalAirDate]) to the end of your template, or must it remain verbatim for the Plex server to be able to use it?
Anything after the second hyphen is ignored by the Plex server so put whatever you want there.

- kelson h

post #2232 of 3348 Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
3. Captions can be processed as well. The Captions between the cut points are removed, and the remaining Caption time stamps are updated. Of course, captions are only as good as the original, and editing for text corrections and syncing with the video may be required.
Quote:
I'm trying to duplicate this, but cannot. That is, when VideoReDo applies the SkipMode Cut Points from the VPrj file created by kmttg, it cuts the appropriate scenes, but does NOT remove the subtitles in those same sections, or update the remaining subtitle start and end times. Am I overlooking a setting in VideoReDo? Was I in error when I wrote item 3? Maybe I was looking at the wrong SRT when I made that statement?

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
I finally got back to this issue, and figured it out! The trick to having the captions stay in sync with the video (as stated in item 3 above) is to put a check mark in the kmttg "Ad Cut" box. That causes kmttg to wait for VideoReDo to produce the cut version of the video before calling CCExtractor to create the subtitles based upon the cut version of the video.

Note: There are settings on the kmttg Configuration tab for VideoReDo, that will cause VideoReDo to open its GUI and allow altering the automatic SkipMode cuts, or add more cuts, before producing the cut video and matching subtitles.
Kelson likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 04-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #2233 of 3348 Old 04-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hey did the ROVI guide not list the airing of the Ten Commandments 4 hr.44 min. on the ABC station outlets?

Was trying to help a poster on another forum complaining about the DIRECTV program guide screwing up the air start time.

But I notice in the LA market here at least, scrolling back into the TIVO guide to yesterday at the TC scheduled start time of 7:00 PM (PST) on KABC 7. The showing is not even listed at all.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
post #2234 of 3348 Old 04-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Hey did the ROVI guide not list the airing of the Ten Commandments 4 hr.44 min. on the ABC station outlets?

Was trying to help a poster on another forum complaining about the DIRECTV program guide screwing up the air start time.

But I notice in the LA market here at least, scrolling back into the TIVO guide to yesterday at the TC scheduled start time of 7:00 PM (PST) on KABC 7. The showing is not even listed at all.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

My Roamio Shows 4hr44mins. 7pm CDT to 11:44pm CDT on the Tulsa ABC affiliate for Ten Commandments
post #2235 of 3348 Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I need to load kmttg and try out using the VPrj files with VRD. Currently I just pull the files with pytivo and manually edit them with VRD.
pachinko likes this.
post #2236 of 3348 Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
I have it Saturday 8pm to 12:44pm on my guide.
post #2237 of 3348 Old 04-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
kmttg issued version 2.2s today, which directly addresses the shortcomings of items 1 and 2, allowing multiple recordings to be selected and processed in one step.
Cool. I knew it would be only a matter of time.
I'll have to take a look and cut some commercials.

- kelson h

post #2238 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Anyone else have their Roamio turn back on a boat load of apps, after having previously turned them off? I'm not exactly sure when they turned back on, within the last week for sure, maybe after the most recent update? The only ones I have on are Netflix and YouTube so any more is obvious. I guess I'll monitor and report back if it happens again but I hope this isn't another bug, after all they just fixed the bug that kept turning the damn columns on by itself, I'd hate to see that bug replaced with another
post #2239 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Anyone else have their Roamio turn back on a boat load of apps, after having previously turned them off? I'm not exactly sure when they turned back on, within the last week for sure, maybe after the most recent update? The only ones I have on are Netflix and YouTube so any more is obvious. I guess I'll monitor and report back if it happens again but I hope this isn't another bug, after all they just fixed the bug that kept turning the damn columns on by itself, I'd hate to see that bug replaced with another
Yes. Here's other issues I'm having on ONE Roamio (I have two). Both fail the TCP port 37 network test, as do four Mini units. On the bad Roamio, I frequently do not get VCM Updates. I have found ALL video apps enabled more than once. This started after the last "fix" of guide update failures. None of my TiVo units has seen a gold star promo in TiVo Central in quite a while. I would have expected one for NBA playoffs.

My only enabled video provider app is Amazon Prime. I sometimes enable YouTube to watch Real Time or Last Week Tonight.
post #2240 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I've had, on occasion, 1 or 2 video providers turned on after an update. Usually whenever they add a new provider, I see it get turned on. The really annoying part is that after I go in and turn them off, I have to reboot the attached Mini for it to be reflected in the Mini's playlist.

- kelson h

post #2241 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had, on occasion, 1 or 2 video providers turned on after an update. Usually whenever they add a new provider, I see it get turned on. The really annoying part is that after I go in and turn them off, I have to reboot the attached Mini for it to be reflected in the Mini's playlist.
Just wondering. You have a vast amount of knowledge, so what do you think of the port 37 failure? I know what it used to do, and it's probably no longer needed, but I don't understand why TiVo has caused the error.
post #2242 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Yes. Here's other issues I'm having on ONE Roamio (I have two). Both fail the TCP port 37 network test, as do four Mini units. On the bad Roamio, I frequently do not get VCM Updates. I have found ALL video apps enabled more than once. This started after the last "fix" of guide update failures. None of my TiVo units has seen a gold star promo in TiVo Central in quite a while. I would have expected one for NBA playoffs.

My only enabled video provider app is Amazon Prime. I sometimes enable YouTube to watch Real Time or Last Week Tonight.
Interesting, I did look over at TCF but didn't find a thread talking about it, at least in the first couple of pages. I just checked my bedroom Tivo, which I only use for live buffering of it's 4 tuners and low and behold all the apps were also showing on that one too....fix one bug, make another! Oh I've never got that port 37 network test failure, of course I don't regularly do any network tests, the most I do is occasionally force a guide update. Whats a VCM update?
Oh and Kelson I'm just fine with new apps being displayed, just like new channels are automatically put into my channels(although not my favorites which I'm also OK with) otherwise I'd probably never know it was added what I don't like is old ones which I've already unchecked, rechecking themselves and showing up in my now playing list
post #2243 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, I did look over at TCF but didn't find a thread talking about it, at least in the first couple of pages. I just checked my bedroom Tivo, which I only use for live buffering of it's 4 tuners and low and behold all the apps were also showing on that one too....fix one bug, make another! Oh I've never got that port 37 network test failure, of course I don't regularly do any network tests, the most I do is occasionally force a guide update. Whats a VCM update?
Oh and Kelson I'm just fine with new apps being displayed, just like new channels are automatically put into my channels(although not my favorites which I'm also OK with) otherwise I'd probably never know it was added what I don't like is old ones which I've already unchecked, rechecking themselves and showing up in my now playing list
The port 37 failure is displayed just by going to the network diagnostic page. No actual test is needed. It's there with the DNS Test Details. I don't think there is anything about the apps doing a self-enable, but there are two threads on the port 37 error. It started last week. I have three Mini boxes without power. I applied power, checked them (no error) then forced a connection. Each one then started to show the error.

A VCM connection is quite a mystery. I usually get one when any parameter changes that will affect the content you see with TiVo Online. This will be a change to channels, To Do List or My Shows. However not all VCM connections are immediate. I always get one after a guide extension since it usually affects my To Do List. Many of the System Information parameters have changed since Rovi. A TiVo is almost as much fun as the old Sony DHG anymore.

My theory why nobody says anything about the apps? Most people keep a lot of programs in My Shows. When you have two units, you spend a lot of time going to the end of My Shows to check the other unit. Yet, they do show up in Find,.... so maybe we're just lucky.
post #2244 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Just wondering. You have a vast amount of knowledge, so what do you think of the port 37 failure? I know what it used to do, and it's probably no longer needed, but I don't understand why TiVo has caused the error.
Sorry Joe.
My TCP Port 37 tests out just fine along with all the other TCP ports in the test list.

- kelson h

post #2245 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I just checked and the only other one checked is Vevo which has a habit of getting turned on.
I normally have only Amazon Prime, Netflix and Plex checked.

- kelson h

post #2246 of 3348 Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry Joe.
My TCP Port 37 tests out just fine along with all the other TCP ports in the test list.
Thanks. I guess I wait for it to be removed from the test list. Fastest way to fix it.
post #2247 of 3348 Old 04-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
$149 + shipping: TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees

This on Amazon Marketplace tonight:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi..._lxt.ybJ80H890

Placed my order for this no-brainer. Hope it's real.

Z
post #2248 of 3348 Old 04-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi..._lxt.ybJ80H890

Z
That can't be real... Not for a Lifetime unit. At least Amazon will probably cover you so you can get your money back.
post #2249 of 3348 Old 04-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Seller who just created a new profile - selling the TiVo at an unbelievable discounted price. This sounds a lot like the stolen credit card scams when the Bolt first came out. Even if you get the TiVo - there is the risk of having the service shut off when the CC company eventually reverses the payment to TiVo.
post #2250 of 3348 Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Exclamation Sadly, I See Grief and Disappointment in Your Future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post

Z
When dealing with Amazon, *ONLY* purchase items:
  1. *DIRECTLY* from Amazon
  2. *FULFILLED* by Amazon
and *NEVER* from a "Just Launched" Amazon Marketplace vendor.

Sadly, you've just been scammed - want to buy a bridge 'real cheap'?
doctorwizz, osu1991 and jjeff like this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page