TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2251 of 3349 Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
When dealing with Amazon, *ONLY* purchase items:

1. *DIRECTLY* from Amazon
  2. *FULFILLED* by Amazon
and *NEVER* from a "Just Launched" Amazon Marketplace vendor.

Sadly, you've just been scammed - want to buy a bridge 'real cheap'?
I was a "just launched" Amazon vendor at one point, and I'm not a "scammer", as I am sure many are NOT!

That's not to say you shouldn't be cautious, but you shouldn't judge or stereotype just based on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 04:04 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
The same here. I was a just launched seller too. When I sold my Sammy K8500 UHD BD player recently. it seems like Amazon does alot to protect the buyer. I know they hold the payment to the seller for awhile in case there are issues.

But still even with my eBay scam Bolts from eBay, I got a full refund. One from eBay and one from PayPal. And then TiVo didn't even have me send them back for some reason. So while they can't be used for service I have them for spare parts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave Harper likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-24-2017 at 04:46 AM.
post #2253 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
+1 on what CTL said!
Amazon is rife with scammers nowadays, sad to say like Ebay was at one time I believe(I've never been a Ebay purchaser because I hate scammers, even though I believe Ebay may have gotten much better). I was scammed on Amazon and their forums are full with threads talking about "just launched" sellers, often times with stupid seller names like fjdsjlfdgjpefj or whatever. They pop up selling everything from soup to nuts and WAY below selling price. DON'T be fooled, if it seems too good to be true.....IT IS!. Just because it's on Amazon and not Ebay doesn't mean it's legit, again for whatever reason Amazon is brimming with these type of scammers, basically, every item seems to have a "just launched" seller selling something WAY below market price.
Hey, I'm all for a good deal and love getting something cheaper than normal, it's just when the normal is WAY below the going rate that personally I'll pass. Note what I was scammed on was a 100 spindle of Verbatim DVDs(not a very popular item I'd believe but just to point out that scammers reside everywhere, not just on popular items like Samsung smartphones or iPads). Anyway, they normally sell for $22-30 and this just launched(with NO reviews, another big red flag) seller had them for $10. I thought it was too good to be true but figured, well it's Amazon it has to be legit. Well, a couple weeks later when I hadn't received them I tried emailing the seller only to get my message back saying they were no longer accepting emails. Then the very negative reviews started coming in, saying how no one ever got their products. All in all it took almost a month to get my account credited, Amazon was good about it under their A-Z protection plan but what a hassle! never again. I don't know what these scammers have to gain as I believe Amazon holds onto their money for a couple weeks but maybe they are hoping people either forget about it or take to long to complain at which time they are long gone with whatever money they've got.
I think they should have a special place in hell for people like this, I just have no time for that kind of crap. I really think Amazon should do more to vet these type of sellers although I don't know what they could do, unfortunately, there are scammers born every second, to go along with the suckers born every minute
Unfortunately scammers like this ruin it for every new legitimate "just launched" seller, but it is what it is. If you see a company "just launched" with zero reviews selling something way below market price and often times selling a ton of different times, totally unrelated, resist the temptation to think you got something for nothing, or it could be you that get nothing for something
https://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%...x3G11I6IL9U06D
ClearToLand likes this.

Last edited by jjeff; 04-24-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post
This on Amazon Marketplace tonight:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi..._lxt.ybJ80H890

Placed my order for this no-brainer. Hope it's real.

Z
Unfortunately I'm 99% sure this seller is fraudulent
They have almost all the classic signs:
Selling WAY below market price
Just launched seller
0 feedback
16 pages of products they sell, everything from monitors, to drones to Tivos, to water purifiers, etc. all unrelated.

I wish you luck on getting your money back, unfortunately I don't believe you'll be getting your product
post #2255 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Unfortunately I'm 99% sure this seller is fraudulent
They have almost all the classic signs:
Selling WAY below market price
Just launched seller
0 feedback
16 pages of products they sell, everything from monitors, to drones to Tivos, to water purifiers, etc. all unrelated.

I wish you luck on getting your money back, unfortunately I don't believe you'll be getting your product
As one with first hand experience, with TIVO OTA with "too good a price", I did recv the TIVO unit all in sealed condition, only to discover that TIVO would not activate it. Not sure if it was stolen or what, they stated "Amount is due on the unit, and for mere $400 they will activate lifetime on it. Needless to say, AMAZON took care of it. But all the wasted time and hassle was not fun.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #2256 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Even though every so often Tivo themselves do "blow-out" sales on these, I don't believe I have EVER since a legitimate Roamio OTA sale with Lifetime under $249.00. They are usually $299~ on the sales, and that's a killer price.

Any person pricing one under that price and claiming it has Lifetime service, should be very much avoided.
post #2257 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
I got my Romaio OTA from TiVo for $200 last Novemeber. But it was a refurb. And I got a Romaio Basic from TiVo for $300 in 2015.. It was also a refurb. Which were both great deals from TiVo. Considering they looked brand new and has performed great.
Primestar31 likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2258 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got my Romaio OTA from TiVo for $200 last Novemeber. But it was a refurb. And I got a Romaio Basic from TiVo for $300 in 2015.. It was also a refurb. Which were both great deals from TiVo. Considering they looked brand new and has performed great.
If ordering direct from Tivo you are very safe, heck even I'd order one if Tivo themselves had them for $99, but not from some just launched Amazon scammer! now those are too good to be true
post #2259 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
When dealing with Amazon, *ONLY* purchase items:
  1. *DIRECTLY* from Amazon
  2. *FULFILLED* by Amazon
and *NEVER* from a "Just Launched" Amazon Marketplace vendor.

Sadly, you've just been scammed - want to buy a bridge 'real cheap'?

Well here is one from a seller that has 92% approval rating over the last 12 months and is selling it for $139 https://t.co/ZWwXfU4Dm6

I ordered another from her just in case the first does not go through. Can always give the extra as a gift.

Z
post #2260 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Well here is one from a seller that has 92% approval rating over the last 12 months and is selling it for $139 https://t.co/ZWwXfU4Dm6

I ordered another from her just in case the first does not go through. Can always give the extra as a gift.

Z
Hijacked account, OR somebody who doesn't understand "Lifetime Service".

These sold for $49.95 at Best Buy, BUT, with a monthly subscription, which is what really paid Tivo back for the value. Perhaps there are some deluded people out there, that are confused about the difference. They simply are NOT worth any more than $50, IF they don't have Lifetime (All-In) service.

Good luck, but I seriously doubt you'll actually get a Lifetime service unit.
post #2261 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Z
Scam. The seller isn't shipping until May 15th to June 6th. That is because Amazon holds the funds for two weeks. So you pay today, they take the cash in two weeks, and in three to four weeks when your item doesn't arrive, the seller and cash is long gone
post #2262 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Unhappy Throwing Good Money After Bad...

Quote:

Z
"Throwing good money after bad"

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #2263 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Well I just received the USPS tracking number on Amazon for the second one. If it's a scam I'm covered by Amazon and my credit card company. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll keep you guys posted

Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2264 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Now $308, sold by Amazon directly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

By the way, even though I've sold about a dozen items on Amazon over the past 2 years, I'm still "Just Launched." That terms doesn't necessarily mean you're brand spanking new.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2265 of 3349 Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Wink Try Using GOOGLE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Now $308, sold by Amazon directly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

By the way, even though I've sold about a dozen items on Amazon over the past 2 years, I'm still "Just Launched." That terms doesn't necessarily mean you're brand spanking new.
The $308 deal is already gone - *BUT* you can get one for $129 from Ryan C Dreier - "Just Launched" / NO Feedback / TONs (12 pages) of products...

Try not to take it as an attack on folks like yourself (or others who view this subject through 'Rose-Colored' glasses) - if there's a Quick / Dis-Honest Buck to be made, 'someone' *WILL* try to.

There are certain 'Tell-Tale' signs of a scam-in-progress - you just have to learn what they are...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #2266 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Try Using GOOGLE...

The $308 deal is already gone - *BUT* you can get one for $129 from Ryan C Dreier - "Just Launched" / NO Feedback / TONs (12 pages) of products...

Try not to take it as an attack on folks like yourself (or others who view this subject through 'Rose-Colored' glasses) - if there's a Quick / Dis-Honest Buck to be made, 'someone' *WILL* try to.

There are certain 'Tell-Tale' signs of a scam-in-progress - you just have to learn what they are...
What do you mean "try using google?" That price became available last night when I posted it.
post #2267 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Yes I understand that, which is why I base my buying not only on "just launched" but also other things. Such as WAY below market pricing, absolutely no reviews on the seller(big flag as I'm sure someone like yourself would have accumulated at least a couple reviews) and the other MAJOR red flag for me, selling everything from soup to nuts! I mean how many small time sellers like yourself would sell hundreds of different new and totally unrelated items, most way below market rate
Sure you can always give your money to the scammers and have your CC or Amazon's A-Z bail you out, but why feed the scammers? If no one ordered from them they'd dry up and go away. If people give them money they'll just be back for more......
ClearToLand likes this.
post #2268 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post
Scam. The seller isn't shipping until May 15th to June 6th. That is because Amazon holds the funds for two weeks. So you pay today, they take the cash in two weeks, and in three to four weeks when your item doesn't arrive, the seller and cash is long gone

Well my USPS expected delivery date was just updated this morning: Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, April 26, 2017

So your theory is just wrong. Again I'll let you know what sort of "deal" I got for $139

Z
post #2269 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post
And then you file an A-to-Z claim with AMZ and get your money back, plus the item. Very little risk here other than potentially not getting the item, AMZ is the one eating this.
post #2270 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure you can always give your money to the scammers and have your CC or Amazon's A-Z bail you out, but why feed the scammers? If no one ordered from them they'd dry up and go away. If people give them money they'll just be back for more......
Because it's an easy way to get free stuff with minimal hassle? AMZ is the one on the hook for this, who cares about the scammers. Scammers gonna scam, but it won't be you. AMZ has to fix their problems.
post #2271 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AMZ is being scammed on these, not us.

Look I get what everyone is saying about the deals being to good to be true and these are scams yada yada yada, but the point here is that you can take advantage of the scams and let AMZ eat it. AMZ has to solve these issues, you can benefit from them.
post #2272 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
. . . and the other MAJOR red flag for me, selling everything from soup to nuts! I mean how many small time sellers like yourself would sell hundreds of different new and totally unrelated items, most way below market rate
Lots of new stolen merchandise out there. What a better way to fence it than direct sales to the public.
Not saying that is the case here, but you have to suspect that some of these sellers are getting their merchandise at a criminally "steep discount".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2273 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Look I get what everyone is saying about the deals being to good to be true and these are scams yada yada yada, but the point here is that you can take advantage of the scams and let AMZ eat it. AMZ has to solve these issues, you can benefit from them.
I agree that Amazon needs to tighten their procedures, but shouldn't people feel a bit sleazy if they help the scammers cheat Amazon? If I got caught innocently by one of those bogus deals, I would be glad that Amazon could make it right, but I wouldn't be comfortable profiting from the scam operation deliberately.
post #2274 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Have you ever used A-Z? I have and while you eventually get your money back, you get NOTHING, NADA for all your trouble! You give Amazon your money and hopefully, in a month they credit you, you never get the product because the scammers NEVER ship it!
I guess your scenario would give you something for nothing, if you ever got anything, but you DON'T, if you did why would you be bothering Amazon A-Z in the first place You get nothing and only have to go through the hassle of getting your money back. Now if your talking about telling Amazon you never got the product when indeed you did, well then you'd be a scammer and IMO you could live with the scammers that never ship product, in that little corner of hell I spoke of earlier
And who do you think pays for AMZ being scammed, AMZ? If you do you'd be a little nieve, if AMZ's cost of doing business goes up they just raise their prices, it doesn't come out of AMZ's pocket in the end it just costs all us honest consumers more
ClearToLand and osu1991 like this.
post #2275 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Well my USPS expected delivery date was just updated this morning: Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, April 26, 2017

So your theory is just wrong. Again I'll let you know what sort of "deal" I got for $139
I hope you get it, and prove me wrong. Kudos to you if you do!
jjeff likes this.
post #2276 of 3349 Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Even if it arrives in the mail - that will be only 1/2 the battle. Activating it could be the next potential pitfall. If that is successful, then we're back to the old Ebay scam where about a month or so after activation, the credit card company that was scammed notifies TiVo of it -- and they mark your TiVo service as disconnected. After contacting TiVo and assuming a positive result on pleading your case ('Why no, TiVo -- it didn't occur to me at all that an all-in price at this level would possibly have anything shady about it') - TiVo will then re-activate your account if you pay the full lifetime price on it.
post #2277 of 3349 Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 AM

I don't understand all the arguing. You take risks buying from craigslist, ebay, or amazon marketplace. I wouldn't buy this, but he did and it's his money. The latter two offer some protections and hopefully it works out.

Last edited by rrgg; 04-26-2017 at 04:36 AM.
post #2278 of 3349 Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you ever used A-Z?
Yeah I have - got scammed for an iPad, they sent a PS3 controller instead. Got my money back in a couple of weeks after the A to Z claim.

In this case you get the product and AMZ gets the scam, there's no issue here. At no time did I suggest defrauding AMZ by claiming you never got something, it's simply taking advantage of the current deal advertised in THEIR marketplace.

This is a systemic issue and AMZ is the one that needs to fix it, I see no issue whatsoever with buying a product advertised on their website even if you know it's suspect.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 04-26-2017 at 05:31 AM.
post #2279 of 3349 Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Z

Ok so it's Wednesday and here is what happened to my TiVo "deal". First I got an email from Amazon saying that my order was refunded, I contacted the seller and indeed he said his account was hacked. Next the USPS shipment was intercepted by the post office. So to those that said it was a scam - you were right.. the good news is that I don't believe anyone is out anything except the person who shipped the product.

Z
aaronwt, Primestar31 and pachinko like this.
post #2280 of 3349 Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked: 3657
Quote:
Ok so it's Wednesday and here is what happened to my TiVo "deal". First I got an email from Amazon saying that my order was refunded, I contacted the seller and indeed he said his account was hacked. Next the USPS shipment was intercepted by the post office. So to those that said it was a scam - you were right.. the good news is that I don't believe anyone is out anything except the person who shipped the product.

Z
Which is likely TiVo. As I recall, this shipment appeared to have been shipped from Texas which is where TiVo ships their equipment from. The "seller" probably purchased the unit from TiVo using fraudulent means, had the ship-to designated as you and the item was shipped directly from TiVo to you. You pay the "seller", he pockets the money, TiVo gets nothing because of a fraudulent purchase method. That's usually how these "too good to be true" scams are done. In other words, the "seller" never had the product itself, he just "bought" it online and drop shipped it to you. It's an old scam and has been around from some time. Ultimately it's TiVo's fault for not verifying the original purchase funds, but even then, it's still possible to defraud a seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page