TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2281 of 3321 Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Which is likely TiVo. As I recall, this shipment appeared to have been shipped from Texas which is where TiVo ships their equipment from. The "seller" probably purchased the unit from TiVo using fraudulent means, had the ship-to designated as you and the item was shipped directly from TiVo to you. You pay the "seller", he pockets the money, TiVo gets nothing because of a fraudulent purchase method. That's usually how these "too good to be true" scams are done. In other words, the "seller" never had the product itself, he just "bought" it online and drop shipped it to you. It's an old scam and has been around from some time. Ultimately it's TiVo's fault for not verifying the original purchase funds, but even then, it's still possible to defraud a seller.
This is what happened to me in 2015 with my eBay scam Bolts. They were shipped directly from TiVo. And the seller had used stolen credit cards for the purchase. I used on box for six weeks and one box for eight weeks before they were disabled. When the credit card companies back charged TiVo.

Weeks before all of that I had contacted TiVo multiple times and told them that there might be an issue. They kept saying that everything was fine and not to worry about it. In the end I guess TiVo lost the money and the hardware. Since they didn't even want me to send the hardware back. Since I wasn't about to pay the full retail price they wanted for the units to re-activate them. Since I could still get them cheaper from Best Buy. Which is what I did.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 3321 Old 04-26-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3506
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is what happened to me in 2015 with my eBay scam Bolts. They were shipped directly from TiVo. And the seller had used stolen credit cards for the purchase. I used on box for six weeks and one box for eight weeks before they were disabled. When the credit card companies back charged TiVo.

Weeks before all of that I had contacted TiVo multiple times and told them that there might be an issue. They kept saying that everything was fine and not to worry about it. In the end I guess TiVo lost the money and the hardware. Since they didn't even want me to send the hardware back. Since I wasn't about to pay the full retail price they wanted for the units to re-activate them. Since I could still get them cheaper from Best Buy. Which is what I did.
Yep, I remember all that, it's why when I saw the original post here and looked at the listings at Amazon I didn't have much doubt they were scam listings, there were just too many similar traits, the shipping from Texas was the clincher for me as both lowball listings showed the same ship point.
post #2283 of 3321 Old 05-28-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lightbulb kmttg 'File Naming' Template for Plex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
When you configure kmttg use the following string for your "File Naming" template:

[mainTitle] - [SeriesEpNumber] - [episodeTitle] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

This will name the downloads in the required Plex compatible format so the Plex server will be able to scrape the meta-data without your intervention. I also recommend you select to option to "Decrypt using tivolibre instead of tivodecode" which you will find on the Program Options tab. You can then use Plex to stream the titles to any device with a Plex client in or out of the house. You will still have the problem of skipping commercials if the Plex client doesn't have decent FF capabilities. I didn't realize that TiVo Stream has been discontinued.
Can I add anything (like [movieYear] [originalAirDate]) to the end of your template, or must it remain verbatim for the Plex server to be able to use it?
Anything after the second hyphen is ignored by the Plex server so put whatever you want there.
@Kelson 's original post, and subsequent reply, led me to further research the kmttg "File Naming" template options and I settled on:
[mainTitle] -[" " movieYear "][" " SeriesEpNumber " "]["- " episodeTitle] [startTime] [channel] [originalAirDate]
This results in:
  • Series:
    Call the Midwife - s06e07 - Episode 7 2017-05-16_0129 WNETDT 2017-05-14
    - I used this 'repeating' show as an example where 'originalAirDate' and 'startTime' differ; tells me that there were conflicts on available tuners for the first showing
    The Blacklist - s04e20 - The Debt Collector 2017-05-11_2200 WNBCDT 2017-05-11
    - a 'normal' series episode looks like this, BUT...
    The Blacklist - s04e14 - The Architect 2017-02-18_1935 WNBCDT 2017-02-16
    - if you transfer the show to another TiVo unit, 'startTime' changes to 'transferTime'
  • Series 'Special':
    Street Outlaws The Beginning -- King of the Streets 2017-05-25_2159 TDCHD-E 2017-05-25
    - without 'SeriesEpNumber', you get the two hyphens together
  • Movie:
    Bobby - 2006 2017-01-13_1854 SHOHD-E 2017-01-02
    - kmttg recognized this as a movie, not a special in a series, thus no two hyphens; also, it's been showing for almost two weeks
which I'm very pleased with.

Thanks @Kelson !
Kelson and pachinko like this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My Roamio OTA's remote has gone bananas and I haven't found any help in the manual or on-line. Hopefully, someone here can help.

Everything was fine until I replaced the batteries yesterday (and, I later tried another pair of new batteries). I noticed immediately that I couldn't control the TV's on/off, volume, etc, and that any key press causes the yellow light at the front of the remote to blink on and off for almost half a minute (I counted once and the light blinked 44 times. Un-pairing, then trying to pair to the TV does nothing. And, the remote has become completely inoperable a couple times, with the red light on continuously while it overlaid the blinking yellow light. That could only be cleared by popping a battery out and reinserting it.

Any ideas?
post #2285 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
My Roamio OTA's remote has gone bananas and I haven't found any help in the manual or on-line. Hopefully, someone here can help.

Everything was fine until I replaced the batteries yesterday (and, I later tried another pair of new batteries). I noticed immediately that I couldn't control the TV's on/off, volume, etc, and that any key press causes the yellow light at the front of the remote to blink on and off for almost half a minute (I counted once and the light blinked 44 times. Un-pairing, then trying to pair to the TV does nothing. And, the remote has become completely inoperable a couple times, with the red light on continuously while it overlaid the blinking yellow light. That could only be cleared by popping a battery out and reinserting it.

Any ideas?
Have you tried a global reset?

https://support.tivo.com/articles/In...Remote-Control
aaronwt likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #2286 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Yeah, tried that several times. With the front covered, pressing and holding TiVo and TV Power immediately starts the yellow light blinking. After a few seconds the red light comes on (with the blinking yellow underneath it). 3 Thumbs Down and Enter turns the light off. But, nothing changed, press any key and it starts blinking yellow for 20-30 seconds.
post #2287 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
That means RF isn't paired. It will eventually stop blinking on its own (couple of days). Or you could pair it. There is no pairing with a TV, so not sure what you mean by that.
post #2288 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That means RF isn't paired. It will eventually stop blinking on its own (couple of days). Or you could pair it. There is no pairing with a TV, so not sure what you mean by that.
I stated that wrong. I should have said, programing the remote with the TV code for on/off, volume, etc.

Right now, global reset doesn't seem to have any affect and it blinks yellow at any key press. The TiVo will not respond via RF.
post #2289 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 68
FWIW ... had a DIRECTV remote (the older model RC6x type) that would no longer control the TV and seemed "blow its mind" with all kinds of crazy LED indicator flashes like that after a routine battery change.

Had to eventually trash it as there was nothing I could do to correct it.

Not sure if this can happen with the TIVO peanut, but just saying ....

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
post #2290 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 AM
A J
Advanced Member

I stumbled onto the fix for the blinking yellow light in TiVo's support pages, and that worked. Bunch of steps with TiVo and Red C key, then Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear, followed by TiVo and Back key.

Seems OK now.
post #2291 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I stumbled onto the fix for the blinking yellow light in TiVo's support pages, and that worked. Bunch of steps with TiVo and Red C key, then Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear, followed by TiVo and Back key.

Seems OK now.
Do you have a hyperlink to the exact procedure, for future reference?
post #2292 of 3321 Old 06-06-2017, 03:30 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Do you have a hyperlink to the exact procedure, for future reference?
Here's the link:

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...g-Instructions

Scroll down toward the bottom, to "The amber light on my remote blinks for several seconds whenever I press a button".

Everything works fine now.
post #2293 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
How about that meltdown sale? My sister has Comcast and is interested in getting a TiVo and a bunch of Minis. Any recommendations? How many tuners does a single cable card support? Any downside or concerns?
post #2294 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
How about that meltdown sale? My sister has Comcast and is interested in getting a TiVo and a bunch of Minis. Any recommendations? How many tuners does a single cable card support? Any downside or concerns?
While there are some here who could well answer your questions and offer good suggestions. Since you're interested in connecting TIVO to a CATV system, I'd recommend you post to one of the other forums on TCF which specifically deal in that area. As this thread is for the OTA TIVO option ...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community

post #2295 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I agree this isn't the best thread, but these are easy, so here goes.

One card supports up to 6 simultaneous streams.

Best values in this sale are the OTA's and the renewed Bolt and Pro, and the Minis of course. If you're mechanically inclined, you can easily mod an OTA unit for cable card for about $20.

Biggest downside to me is initial cost, but you're in the black within a year or two. Other downsides include poor guide data quality, but it's not much worse than the alternatives these days.
osu1991 and wizwor like this.
post #2296 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Best values in this sale are the OTA's and the renewed Bolt and Pro, and the Minis of course. If you're mechanically inclined, you can easily mod an OTA unit for cable card for about $20.
Trying to stay at least topic-adjacent, TiVo just added the Roamio OTA to the Summer Meltdown Sale, so the savings could help defray the costs of adding whatever technology might be needed to add the desired functionality; though, with the renewed BOLT 500GB just $200 more, there's not much headroom if you're looking for mobile device streaming and will need MoCA connectivity, on top of the CableCARD mod. A mod'd Roamio OTA would be a good choice for a budget solution, but some have found the cost savings weren't what they were hoping by the time they figure out everything they'd like/need the device to do.

One area the Roamio OTA does provide an advantage is if you're a hoarder... errr, librarian... as drive sizes of 3TB and above are a cheaper/easier objective under the Roamio's 3.5" drive format.
osu1991 and wizwor like this.
post #2297 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Topic adjacent! Can the Bolt use OTA and Comcast concurrently or is it one or the other?
post #2298 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Topic adjacent! Can the Bolt use OTA and Comcast concurrently or is it one or the other?
While they can be made to work concurrently, as I have done on numerous occasions, it could be a very time consuming effort which would need a lot of knowledge and some notch and/or bandpass filters since the TiVo Bolt only has one RF coax input. You would have to figure out all the frequencies in use by both services, which frequencies correspond to which channels, then decide which ones overlap and which ones you want to actually use, watch and record.

It was fairly easy in my situation because my cable company here still has analog channels in use, so I just notched out those with a filter and it conveniently pretty much coincided with the ATSC channels I was getting over the air with my antenna, which I injected in the same area of the spectrum that I notched out from the cable system. The only issue is you have to account for the OOB channel iirc, which is used to send commands and info to the cablecard. It was somewhere around 75.5MHz if I recall. I didn't initially account for that, so after a period of time my cablecard stopped working to decrypt the channels! Once I figured out the issue though and allowed the OOB to flow through, all was well. I think there may have been a couple channels that were affected and notched out, but they weren't anything I cared about anyway.

Moral of the story...probably not worth the time and effort!
wizwor likes this.
post #2299 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

post #2300 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
While they can be made to work concurrently, as I have done on numerous occasions, it could be a very time consuming effort which would need a lot of knowledge and some notch and/or bandpass filters since the TiVo Bolt only has one RF coax input. You would have to figure out all the frequencies in use by both services, which frequencies correspond to which channels, then decide which ones overlap and which ones you want to actually use, watch and record.

It was fairly easy in my situation because my cable company here still has analog channels in use, so I just notched out those with a filter and it conveniently pretty much coincided with the ATSC channels I was getting over the air with my antenna, which I injected in the same area of the spectrum that I notched out from the cable system. The only issue is you have to account for the OOB channel iirc, which is used to send commands and info to the cablecard. It was somewhere around 75.5MHz if I recall. I didn't initially account for that, so after a period of time my cablecard stopped working to decrypt the channels! Once I figured out the issue though and allowed the OOB to flow through, all was well. I think there may have been a couple channels that were affected and notched out, but they weren't anything I cared about anyway.

Moral of the story...probably not worth the time and effort!
Say I can't remember, but was there actually an option in the TIVO setup to select a "mixed" coax RF input of both OTA antenna and CATV channels like that?

So the TIVO knows to look for either ATSC 8-vsb modulated signals or QAM ones on any given channel?

post #2301 of 3321 Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Say I can't remember, but was there actually an option in the TIVO setup to select a "mixed" coax RF input of both OTA antenna and CATV channels like that?

So the TIVO knows to look for either ATSC 8-vsb modulated signals or QAM ones on any given channel?

No. It could only be done with the old 2 tuner Premiere units and earlier like the HD models, that each had two separate RF coax connections and tuners, one for antenna and one for cable. You could run them concurrently though and have them merged in the guide.

It isn't so much the modulation scheme like ATSC and QAM interfering as it is the RF frequencies that overlap and they share, which are the RF carriers of said modulation.
post #2302 of 3321 Old 06-24-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 946
TIVO SUMMER SAle all in 299.00 https://www.tivo.com/summersalemeltd...m_medium=Email

MickinCT
post #2303 of 3321 Old 06-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an issue with my Roamio OTA, that has persisted almost from the beginning. I am using an indoor multi-directional antenna (in fact I have tried several of them), and can pick up a decent number of local stations. The issue is one station in particular. It is at 60+ % on the signal meter, which is one of the best of all the channels, yet the Roamio gives the "no signal" message when tuning into the station. What gives? I've tried a hard reset, to no avail. I've tried the switching back and forth between channels trick and it has worked a couple of times, but it is not reliable as 90% of the time I can't get the station to tune in on the Tivo. The channel shows up when doing the strength meter, but it won't show up when tuning into it from the guide.I can tune to the channel from the TV, but not from the Roamio. It's very frustrating! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #2304 of 3321 Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 AM

In many markets, you'll see several identical channel numbers in your guide which are actually different stations. Go into settings - channels, and uncheck those whose call letters don't match what you receive on your antenna. For example, if you know you get 12.1 WZYZ, but you also see 12.1 WABC in your channel list, check the former and uncheck the latter. I also recommend you uncheck all channels that you don't actually receive. This makes your system much easier to use.
Primestar31 likes this.
post #2305 of 3321 Old 06-26-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lightbulb ATSC Signal Strength vs Symbol Quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDlovesTV View Post
I have an issue with my Roamio OTA, that has persisted almost from the beginning. I am using an indoor multi-directional antenna (in fact I have tried several of them), and can pick up a decent number of local stations. The issue is one station in particular. It is at 60+ % on the signal meter, which is one of the best of all the channels, yet the Roamio gives the "no signal" message when tuning into the station. What gives? I've tried a hard reset, to no avail. I've tried the switching back and forth between channels trick and it has worked a couple of times, but it is not reliable as 90% of the time I can't get the station to tune in on the Tivo. The channel shows up when doing the strength meter, but it won't show up when tuning into it from the guide.I can tune to the channel from the TV, but not from the Roamio. It's very frustrating! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Growing up in a "NTSC / Analog / Signal Strength - more is better" world, I had a difficult time grasping ATSC / Digital / Signal 'Quality ' (i.e. 'Volume and lyrics' - see LINKs). It wasn't until I learned how to use my SiliconDust HDHR3-US Dual Tuner as an ATSC Signal 'Quality ' Meter (Thanks to @Dixon Butz) that the light bulb finally went off. Please read this post:
TiVoCommunity: Signal Strength vs Symbol Quality
and the one above it and the LINKs included.

If you can find it in your budget to pick up even a used HDHR3-US, IMO, it will help TREMENDOUSLY in dealing with marginal signals and antenna 'tuning / aiming' (see thumbnail):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423A SD HDHR3-US_B WNJB RF 8 (MSPaint).png
Views:	41
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2205497  

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #2306 of 3321 Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just wondering - is it worthwhile to pick up a new Roamio OTA? I have an opportunity to get a new one at a good discount ($315). I've read several posts that seem to indicate the device is less desirable now that ROVI has taken over the guide data. I currently have 2 Magnavox and a Panny E80 doing SD recording and I'm satisfied with that. Is the TIVO experience that much better or would I be disappointed due to guide glitches from bad ROVI data? I live in the SoCal area and have no issues with signal strength with my antenna.

Thanks - RangerDave
post #2307 of 3321 Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM
UHD Addict

Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDave View Post
Just wondering - is it worthwhile to pick up a new Roamio OTA? I have an opportunity to get a new one at a good discount ($315). I've read several posts that seem to indicate the device is less desirable now that ROVI has taken over the guide data. I currently have 2 Magnavox and a Panny E80 doing SD recording and I'm satisfied with that. Is the TIVO experience that much better or would I be disappointed due to guide glitches from bad ROVI data? I live in the SoCal area and have no issues with signal strength with my antenna.

Thanks - RangerDave
Depends on where you live. I live in a large metropolitan area, DC. And have over 220 One Passes(on cable) with my Bolts. It's still extremely rare for me to have any recording issues. And especially with just OTA. The guide is typically correct with OTA in my area. Although with my two Roamios, on OTA, I only have around 50 One Passes.
Kelson likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2308 of 3321 Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Thanks - RangerDave
Much depends on your viewing habits, but the sale is a really good deal. You can still do manual recordings, and you can (if you wish) save recordings to your computer. You can get an good idea of what your channels/lineup will be by using tvguide.com. It's a crappy website but uses the same database as TiVo. Or tv.com, which may be better. Your choice.

Check the tvguide.com channels because TiVo does not (like your Magnavox) use PSIP data. If something is wrong TiVo can fix it, but it may take a while. Get a feel for the activity at http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php which is a very helpful place.
post #2309 of 3321 Old 06-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Just wondering - is it worthwhile to pick up a new Roamio OTA? I have an opportunity to get a new one at a good discount ($315).
That's a good price as long as the discounter you are getting it from includes lifetime service. Be sure of their integrity. There is a scam going around where they are bought by the seller with bogus credit cards that expire resulting in TiVo canceling the service and you getting stuck. Be very careful if it is eBay sourced.

The "TiVo experience" is worth every penny -- commercial SkipMode alone is worth the purchase. Guide issues happen but are not common -- the unit is still truly set-it-and-forget-it. The OTA is part of their current product line. Support is great with multiple OS updates per year. Bugs are squashed relatively quickly. With 4 tuners, whole-house networking and UI integrated streaming there is more than something for everyone.
Jim in Phoenix likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2310 of 3321 Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you for your input. Best Buy has it on sale for $350 and I have a 10% birthday coupon from them to lower the price to $315. I've ordered one for pickup tomorrow and will give it a try.

RangerDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page