TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2671 of 3355 Old 12-24-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes, it is pretty but slow.
Hydra = TiVo-4-millennials

Any ideas?
Everything I know about pairing. -> https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...g-Instructions

https://support.tivo.com/articles/In...Remote-Control

BTW, I have two Roamio boxes in front of me. I have three Mini boxes in the room behind one wall. All RF, no interference. For the Mini I just unplugged all but the one I was pairing. One is a Mini VOX, so I guess it's Bluetooth. I wish there was something in System Info or Diags that tells me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3355 Old 12-24-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Thanks Joe. The links had everything I needed to know but it drove me crazy until I read the whole thing. I did the global reset of the remote as described, over and over, but it would never unpair it from the Roamio. Then I finally read that Roamio's pair with remotes automatically so that the first time I pressed a button on the reset remote it paired with the closest Roamio. Fortunately the instructions were right there, how to switch the remote to IR mode (Tivo + Red C). Once I did that it controlled the IR Mini in the kitchen perfectly without messing up the Roamio in the next room.

But what was even better was this quote in those instructions:
Quote:
Series 4 and original TiVo Mini Remotes (has the A, B, C, D buttons without BACK), ZOOM will act as 'BACK' on the TiVo Experience 4.
I'm assuming "TiVo Experience 4" is Hydra, which means my original Mini Remote is good to go as-is. Good piece of information for others to know.

Well, that removes my only technical objection to eventually moving to Hydra.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2673 of 3355 Old 12-24-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Once I did that it controlled the IR Mini in the kitchen perfectly without messing up the Roamio in the next room.
But what was even better was this quote in those instructions:
I'm assuming "TiVo Experience 4" is Hydra, which means my original Mini Remote is good to go as-is. Good piece of information for others to know.
Well, that removes my only technical objection to eventually moving to Hydra.
I also have a Premiere in my rack. But even when I plug it in, both Roamio boxes have blocks for IR.

Hydra: best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3355 Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Hi Everyone. Has anyone else have their skip mode stop working all of a sudden? All my recorded shows from the last week or so don't have them as well as my saved older recordings that used to have them

My software is up to date.
I've had intermittent issues with disappearing skip mode the entire time I've owned my Roamio (2 years). Mine is hooked up via wifi. I fairly consistently lose the SM feature whenever I lose my wifi connection (though not always). Rebooting my (old/cheap) router usually does the trick to bring back SM. But there are a fair number of times when I've not had SM and it's got nothing to do with losing the connection to the router. I've never spent much time trying to diagnose those instances. Just chalked them up to this being related to some issue with the recorded programming and not Tivo. My attitude has been, when it's there, I use it and appreciate it. When it's not, oh well, guess I'll have to FF again (like I used to have to do for most of my TV content recording life).
post #2675 of 3355 Old 12-25-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I've had intermittent issues with disappearing skip mode the entire time I've owned my Roamio (2 years). Mine is hooked up via wifi. I fairly consistently lose the SM feature whenever I lose my wifi connection (though not always). Rebooting my (old/cheap) router usually does the trick to bring back SM. But there are a fair number of times when I've not had SM and it's got nothing to do with losing the connection to the router. I've never spent much time trying to diagnose those instances. Just chalked them up to this being related to some issue with the recorded programming and not Tivo. My attitude has been, when it's there, I use it and appreciate it. When it's not, oh well, guess I'll have to FF again (like I used to have to do for most of my TV content recording life).
Currently, there has been several users with this problem. Some have reported that it has been fixed -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun....556169/unread

Except for the occasional missing skip mode for a program, I'd say I'm 99% good. I have programs with SM going back three months.
post #2676 of 3355 Old 12-25-2017, 11:16 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9437 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Quote:

I bought a TiVo HD back in 2008 and kept in service (original HDD) until I bought my second Roamio. Great clean box whose only fault for me was slow network speed that could not stream between boxes and required a recording transfer. If not for that I might not have bought my second Roamio at that time.

I may have a solution for my Mini remote without a "back" button, problem. I use a Harmony remote on my main room TiVo so its peanut remote (with a "back" button) sits in the cabinet with its batteries pulled. I can use that for the Mini in the kitchen -- IF -- I can figure out how to un-pair the RF from the TiVo. That is a must because the darn thing is too strong. I tried this out by using the remote paired with the TiVo upstairs in the bedroom. That TiVo and the Mini in the kitchen are separated by a floor and are on opposite corners of the house, yet when I tested it on the Mini it also changed the channels and controlled the TiVo in the bedroom. Any ideas?
I love Hydra, but I'm not a millennial. I'm in my fifties.
GordonTV likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2677 of 3355 Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9437 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Quote:

I bought a TiVo HD back in 2008 and kept in service (original HDD) until I bought my second Roamio. Great clean box whose only fault for me was slow network speed that could not stream between boxes and required a recording transfer. If not for that I might not have bought my second Roamio at that time.

I may have a solution for my Mini remote without a "back" button, problem. I use a Harmony remote on my main room TiVo so its peanut remote (with a "back" button) sits in the cabinet with its batteries pulled. I can use that for the Mini in the kitchen -- IF -- I can figure out how to un-pair the RF from the TiVo. That is a must because the darn thing is too strong. I tried this out by using the remote paired with the TiVo upstairs in the bedroom. That TiVo and the Mini in the kitchen are separated by a floor and are on opposite corners of the house, yet when I tested it on the Mini it also changed the channels and controlled the TiVo in the bedroom. Any ideas?
You need to pair it to each box. I've had four boxes in the same room before, each with a slide pro remote or stock remote in RF mode. And they never interfered with each other. They only controlled the TiVo they were paired to.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2678 of 3355 Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Not a millennial here either (in my late 50s). And while I won't say I necessarily "love" Hydra. I admit that since RC11 it's been very stable and now appears to run just as fast as the previous HDUI on my Roamio OTA and single 2nd gen. Mini client.

Many of the new "SD"/"HD" labels in the channel guide are still incorrect with a good number of SD sub-channels wrongly labeled "HD."

But this is just "eye candy" anyway. Though a somewhat convenient one to have so I wish they'd fix them nonetheless.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #2679 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Oh great ...

Starting tomorrow MeTV in the LA market is set to move from local KDOC 56-3 to KAZA-54 recently purchased by Weigel (to be broadcast on its 54-1 specifically).

Yet as part of the station repack shuffle, KAZA has apparently changed its RF channel from 27 to 22 recently so my Roamio OTA has the wrong mapping and can't receive it.

And on top of this, what's strangely frustrating is, while an OTA channel scan on my ATSC TV tuner fixed the problem there. A rescan on the TIVO can't seem to find KAZA on its new RF channel so I can at least view the station under *54-1 in the guide. Though there will no guide data for it of course.

wblynch likes this.
post #2680 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Oh great ...
A rescan on the TIVO can't seem to find KAZA on its new RF channel so I can at least view the station under *54-1 in the guide. Though there will no guide data for it of course.
A TiVo doesn't know PSIP. Tell them here -> https://www.tivo.com/lineup.html
post #2681 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A TiVo doesn't know PSIP. Tell them here -> https://www.tivo.com/lineup.html
Oh I understand that ...

But what I'm saying is that when the channel guide mapping is incorrect for a station, I scan for new channels so I can at least pick up the station without guide data until TIVO fixes the mapping.

I.E. the channels will show up in the guide preceded by the asterisk "*" and has "title not available" for them in the guide. But for some reason this workaround isn't working this time. While the Roamio OTA does detect the asterisk channels on KAZA's new frequency after the scan.

When I try to tune to them there's no picture. At best a few broken pixels show up or it just displays a V53 error ...

post #2682 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Although I do notice a difference here which may be a clue to the problem.

Normally the asterisk scanned channels without guide data at least display the call letters of the station in the guide.

But these for KAZA's aren't showing any. Just the virtual channel numbers. And when I start to select them the pop-up notice in Hydra list them as "null."

post #2683 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Although I do notice a difference here which may be a clue to the problem.
Normally the asterisk scanned channels without guide data at least display the call letters of the station in the guide.
But these for KAZA's aren't showing any. Just the virtual channel numbers. And when I start to select them the pop-up notice in Hydra list them as "null."
I never used Google on call letters and came up with no answers. The old station is ok -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDOC-TV

Good luck with this one. KAZA is really new.
post #2684 of 3355 Old 01-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I never used Google on call letters and came up with no answers. The old station is ok -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDOC-TV

Good luck with this one. KAZA is really new.
Yeah ... I just got little advance warning of this shuffling when I noticed KDOC 56-3 running promos about it only a couple of days ago. And I didn't even know I lost KAZA on the Roamio, since it's a Spanish station that I never watch.

For a long time they were the local outlet for the Spanish Azteca America network here, until the owners of MeTV, Weigel recently bought them. And are now moving there product there with Azteca programming moving to local KJLA-57.

KDOC 56-3 will aquire the Heroes & Icons network as a replacement for MeTV.

post #2685 of 3355 Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah ... I just got little advance warning of this shuffling when I noticed KDOC 56-3 running promos about it only a couple of days ago. And I didn't even know I lost KAZA on the Roamio, since it's a Spanish station that I never watch.
Found it -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAZA-TV
post #2686 of 3355 Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Humph ...

Wonder what happened? ...

The change of MeTV over to KAZA at least, was supposed to be today.

Yet everything is still the same, and the notifications about the change are gone from both KDOC 56-3 and KAZA 54-1.

Called KDOC and the rep. who answered there after leaving me on hold for awhile and checking, came back and said everything was going to remain the same.

But she really didn't sound like she or whomever else she may have asked there knew anything about it.

post #2687 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 12:55 PM

Goodbye Hydra

So, I installed Hydra on my bedroom Roamio on 12/23. Although unimpressed, I figured I could live with it since it was "the future". Once I learned that the Zoom button on my v1 Mini remote would function as the needed Back button, I decided to go all in and put Hydra on my main Roamio/Mini on 12/24.

Well, I was wrong about being able to live with it. After 11 days of using Hydra on the main Roamio/Mini for everything, I just couldn't take it any more. Slow, clunky, cumbersome, cluttered. Taking away the simple ease of moving through all the menus and lists with your thumb on the arrow keys was a huge mistake. It takes 2-3 slow button pushes to do many tasks that previously took only 1. We are snowed in today so I'm using the time to revert back to the previous UI. I understand that new features will only be added to Hydra, but after this experience they will have to add something totally compelling (on the order of SkipMode) to get me to switch back to Hydra again.

On the plus side for those considering Hydra -- RC11 was totally stable in my hands. Not a single glitch or screw-up.
pachinko likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2688 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question

Quote:
So, I installed Hydra on my bedroom Roamio on 12/23. Although unimpressed, I figured I could live with it since it was "the future". Once I learned that the Zoom button on my v1 Mini remote would function as the needed Back button, I decided to go all in and put Hydra on my main Roamio/Mini on 12/24.

Well, I was wrong about being able to live with it. After 11 days of using Hydra on the main Roamio/Mini for everything, I just couldn't take it any more. Slow, clunky, cumbersome, cluttered. Taking away the simple ease of moving through all the menus and lists with your thumb on the arrow keys was a huge mistake. It takes 2-3 slow button pushes to do many tasks that previously took only 1. We are snowed in today so I'm using the time to revert back to the previous UI. I understand that new features will only be added to Hydra, but after this experience they will have to add something totally compelling (on the order of SkipMode) to get me to switch back to Hydra again.

On the plus side for those considering Hydra -- RC11 was totally stable in my hands. Not a single glitch or screw-up.
I can't seem to find the directions for downgrading from Hydra. Can anyone point me to the right post?
post #2689 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
I'm 52 and frikkin HATE Hydra, so we balance out... :-)
post #2690 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Ditto here!
post #2691 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I can't seem to find the directions for downgrading from Hydra. Can anyone point me to the right post?
It's not here. It's over at the TiVo Community Forum, under TiVo Coffee House - Tivo Connection.
Search for "How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's V1"

https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...nis-v1.554653/
dturturro likes this.
post #2692 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If, after a few days, should you decide to go back to Hydra the URL to change back is here -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...rience.554461/
post #2693 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFore9 View Post
It's not here. It's over at the TiVo Community Forum, under TiVo Coffee House - Tivo Connection.
Search for "How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's V1"

https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...nis-v1.554653/
@dturturro
The directions linked to by @OneFore9 are the ones I used. Total time was about an hour. That included going through the guided setup and restoring all my old settings and favorite channel designations, etc. I have 2 Roamio's so prior to downgrading, I transferred all the recordings and 1-passes I wanted to save from one TiVo to the other then transferred them back after the downgrade was complete.
dturturro likes this.

- kelson h

post #2694 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
If, after a few days, should you decide to go back to Hydra the URL to change back is here -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...rience.554461/
Wonder how long it will take before my recently downgraded Roamio's re-appear on that screen.

One other Hydra tidbit I forgot to mention: For those who are interested, StreamBaby does NOT appear as an app under Hydra. I tried everything I could think of to get StreamBaby back but to no avail. Once I downgraded and finished the Guided Setup, StreamBaby was right back there in the app menu. So, if you use StreamBaby and want to keep it, forget about Hydra.

- kelson h

post #2695 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lightbulb Gen4/Hydra StreamBaby Workaround...

Quote:
...One other Hydra tidbit I forgot to mention: For those who are interested, StreamBaby does NOT appear as an app under Hydra. I tried everything I could think of to get StreamBaby back but to no avail. Once I downgraded and finished the Guided Setup, StreamBaby was right back there in the app menu. So, if you use StreamBaby and want to keep it, forget about Hydra.
Under Gen4/Hydra, you need to 'start' StreamBaby from kmttg first.

[LOTs more info over on TCF than relying solely on this one thread here... ]

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #2696 of 3355 Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
Under Gen4/Hydra, you need to 'start' StreamBaby from kmttg first.
Had no idea they were connected. There is no mention of StreamBaby in any of the kmttg windows or settings.

- kelson h

post #2697 of 3355 Old 01-05-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonder how long it will take before my recently downgraded Roamio's re-appear on that screen.
One other Hydra tidbit I forgot to mention: For those who are interested, StreamBaby does NOT appear as an app under Hydra. I tried everything I could think of to get StreamBaby back but to no avail. Once I downgraded and finished the Guided Setup, StreamBaby was right back there in the app menu. So, if you use StreamBaby and want to keep it, forget about Hydra.
I don't know the exact time, but it's under a month. I still have a Hydra Roamio and Mini VOX, but the fan is bad so they are powered off. The list of apps is very short.
post #2698 of 3355 Old 01-06-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Oh great ...

Starting tomorrow MeTV in the LA market is set to move from local KDOC 56-3 to KAZA-54 recently purchased by Weigel (to be broadcast on its 54-1 specifically).

Yet as part of the station repack shuffle, KAZA has apparently changed its RF channel from 27 to 22 recently so my Roamio OTA has the wrong mapping and can't receive it.

And on top of this, what's strangely frustrating is, while an OTA channel scan on my ATSC TV tuner fixed the problem there. A rescan on the TIVO can't seem to find KAZA on its new RF channel so I can at least view the station under *54-1 in the guide. Though there will no guide data for it of course.

Same problem with Tivo HD 54-1 is in the guide but zero signal, same as the Bolt. ME TV is still on KDOC subchannel also. There may be more going on then just Tivo problems.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #2699 of 3355 Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Same problem with Tivo HD 54-1 is in the guide but zero signal, same as the Bolt. ME TV is still on KDOC subchannel also. There may be more going on then just Tivo problems.
Say, can you check to see if the Bolt has the same additional problem too?

Where if you try the "Scan for new antenna channels" option in the settings so that I can at least view the station, even though there will be no guide data of course.

At first it appears to find KAZA and KHTV-CD with its 4 sub-channels on their new shared RF channel 22 and labled only as numbers;

*27-7 which is KAZA 54-1
*27-9 which is KHTV-CD
*27-10 which is KHTV-CD2
*27-11 which is KHTV-CD3
*27-12 which is KHTV-CD4
*27-13 which is KHTV-CD5

In the channel list and will display as "Title not available" for guide info. when you select them to display in the channel guide.

Yet they're strange in that they don't have the station call letters as normal, but only show as numbers. And when you try and tune to any of them the Hydra pop-up message says "null" channel and they don't tune to anything (V53 error).

And checking in the diagnostics while tuned to them shows they're still incorrectly mapping to the wrong RF channel 27 instead 22.

Weird and frustrating ...

My TV's ATSC tuner finds KAZA and maps correctly to it after a rescan. But the TIVO doesn't.

post #2700 of 3355 Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

This is the sum total of what the Roamio OTA (and I guess the Bolt as well) running Hydra has for KAZA and its sharing partner KHTV-CD;

KAZA 54-1, 54-2, 54-3, 54-4, 54-5 map to RF channel 47 and appear to be a way out of date channel line up.

KHTV-CD to -CD5 on 27-1, 27-2, 27-3, 27-4, 27-5 map to RF channel 27.

And a OTA channel scan brings in *27-7, *27-9, *27-10, *27-11, *27-12, *27-13 which all map RF channel 27.

So none of these sets correctly maps to the new RF channel 22.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page