TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 983Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2731 of 3311 Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM
aka: HarperVision
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,475
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Bottom line: connect that coax to a TV and do a channel scan. That gives you the channel numbers. You can not scan channels with a TiVo that finds a cable card, paired or not. The probability that a cable card from eBay will "work" is close to zero. But I never say never.

BTW, I figure that since this is a Roamio OTA thread, the cost ($30) of a cable card bracket would be a factor too.
I have used many unauthorized or paired, used cablecards from places like eBay and as long as the brand was the same as the headend (Motorola/Arris, Scientific Atlanta/Cisco) I had no issues having them map channels correctly and all the clear QAM channels came in OK using them. I do have a few Scientific Atlanta/Cisco ones left if anyone is interested? I bought a lot of 10 of them.
slowbiscuit and JER01 like this.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2732 of 3311 Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I have used many unauthorized or paired, used cablecards from places like eBay and as long as the brand was the same as the headend (Motorola/Arris, Scientific Atlanta/Cisco) I had no issues having them map channels correctly and all the clear QAM channels came in OK using them. I do have a few Scientific Atlanta/Cisco ones left if anyone is interested? I bought a lot of 10 of them.
You live a really lucky life. I wonder what FIOS uses for cards. Like I said, I never say never.

Also see -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...m-ebay.552964/

Last edited by JoeKustra; 01-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2733 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
trailblazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 34
No Skip Mode On Blacklist

Did not get SM on Blacklist on last evening's telecast!

Did anyone get SM with this broadcast or was it a problem for everyone.
trailblazer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2734 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I have SM on last nights BL
jjeff is offline  
post #2735 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Did not get SM on Blacklist on last evening's telecast!
Did anyone get SM with this broadcast or was it a problem for everyone.
Last night I made 13 recordings on NBC, CBS, TBS, Comedy Central and ABC. This includes BL. Only missed SM was The Late Show. I told TiVo -> http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/1/p3075425841.aspx

The Late show is my most frequent missing SM program. I wonder why.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2736 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
dturturro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Last night I made 13 recordings on NBC, CBS, TBS, Comedy Central and ABC. This includes BL. Only missed SM was The Late Show. I told TiVo -> http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/1/p3075425841.aspx

The Late show is my most frequent missing SM program. I wonder why.
I've done a hard restart and had SM reappear to previously recorded programs.
dturturro is offline  
post #2737 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I've done a hard restart and had SM reappear to previously recorded programs.
Other tricks: delete and restore, move to different TiVo then bring back and perhaps sacrifice a chicken.
CopRock likes this.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2738 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Did not get SM on Blacklist on last evening's telecast!

Did anyone get SM with this broadcast or was it a problem for everyone.
While I did get SM I also had a weird artifact......occisonal missing or skipped frames
I have this occasionally happen on other recordings, not sure if there is any rhyme or reason but when it happens it seems to happen during the whole program, anyone else see this happen, on last nights BL in particular? It's easy to overlook but other people in my family noticed it and they aren't particularly videophiles....it doesn't affect the audio and isn't like the picture is breaking up, say due to a bad signal, it seems like a bad conversion say from a 50hz program to 60hz, or something like that. I hope it's not my Roamio or HDD going but it's pretty infrequent so I doubt that. I've never seen it watching through the TVs tuner but really the only program I watch live is the news, everything else is time-shifted through the Tivo.
jjeff is offline  
post #2739 of 3311 Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I got skip on my Blacklist recording.
JER01 is offline  
post #2740 of 3311 Old 01-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
trailblazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
I got skip on my Blacklist recording.
SM mode that did not come up on the evening of the broadcast of Blacklist, did come up the next day. I guess I'll have to wait overnight to see if it does eventually go to SM. All 4 other shows that I recorded that evening came up with SM right after the recording completed.
trailblazer is offline  
post #2741 of 3311 Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
SM mode that did not come up on the evening of the broadcast of Blacklist, did come up the next day. I guess I'll have to wait overnight to see if it does eventually go to SM. All 4 other shows that I recorded that evening came up with SM right after the recording completed.

That is not unusual for me. Most of the skip buttons come up pretty soon after the recording is finished. Some of them come up hours later or the next day. I don't have any idea why. I am in the Eastern time zone.

Last edited by JER01; 01-19-2018 at 08:51 AM.
JER01 is offline  
post #2742 of 3311 Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Member
 
OneFore9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spokane Valley, WA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
While I did get SM I also had a weird artifact......occisonal missing or skipped frames
I have this occasionally happen on other recordings, not sure if there is any rhyme or reason but when it happens it seems to happen during the whole program, anyone else see this happen, on last nights BL in particular? It's easy to overlook but other people in my family noticed it and they aren't particularly videophiles....it doesn't affect the audio and isn't like the picture is breaking up, say due to a bad signal, it seems like a bad conversion say from a 50hz program to 60hz, or something like that. I hope it's not my Roamio or HDD going but it's pretty infrequent so I doubt that. I've never seen it watching through the TVs tuner but really the only program I watch live is the news, everything else is time-shifted through the Tivo.
I see this from time to time on my TV. It's like an HDMI handshake issue, mostly noticeable on panning shots. I have to shut off the TV, cycle inputs, or place the Roamio in standby to get it to recover. Same thing happens occasionally with my Dish receiver, and happened with my DTVPAL DVR. I've swapped cables, inputs, and power strips to no avail. Once everything is back up, playback works fine again. Just something with my Sharp TV. Doesn't happen that often, but is just annoying enough to notice and hard to duplicate.
jjeff likes this.
OneFore9 is offline  
post #2743 of 3311 Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Oh well ...

Appeared my Roamio OTA was setup to receive the new TBD network on local KTLA 5-4 once it actually started broadcasting which began yesterday ...

But ... sign ... still a V53 error, due to no program lock.

And this one is even stranger where if it can't get a program lock then the program number normally just displays a dash "-" mark on the diagnostic screen for it.

But this time it displays pgm. num. "0," when it should be "6." Which apparently prevents me from getting even KTLA's physical channel numbers 31.3* to 31.6* with no guide data after a "scan for new channels."

Again ...sign ...

More problems to add to my current ones caused by the local KAZA-54 and KHTV-CD 27 sharing agreement.

And the TIVO usually off-shore nowadays ("non-")tech. support reps. are really clueless.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #2744 of 3311 Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi,
I have been having problems with my Roamio.
Thursday 1-25-18 in the AM, when I tried to access it, I got a blank screen with a "No Signal" scrolling across it. None of the remote buttons did anything.
A hard reboot brought it back to life.


Later, I noticed on my "My Shows" screen, that a 5 minute Manual program, that I record every night at 11:00 PM [the weather], was showing 2 recordings, instead of 1. When I got inside the File, it showed 4 recordings -- all on the same date. It did not show an episode #.
When I deleted 1 recording, it no longer showed the 4-1=3 recordings. It showed one. I fumbled around and deleted the Manual Recording programmed and reprogrammed it for 11 pm each night. By the way, This Manual Recording Process, had been working fine for weeks.


Later, I noticed that when I went to PLAY a recording from the "My Shows" screen, it went to the 2nd play screen. When I hit Select on the play area there, it went to "Modify One Pass" instead of "Play".. I have to scroll up 5 positions to get to "Play". When I hit Select there, it begins to play. I have done this many times and get the same result each time. I have tried a hard Reboot, and and going into standby. Neither of those helped.


After reprogramming the11:00PM Manual recording, it recorded ok tonight -- just one recording. But I can't figure out why my Play action is sending me to "Modify One Pass" instead of Play. It is not much fun having to scroll up 5 positions from Modify One Pass, every time I want to play a recording. The "normal" having to hit Select on 3 play screens is more than enough! Maybe I screwed something up when I deleted my Manual recordings and then reprogrammed them? But what made the manual recordings start recording 2 copies in the first place? And what caused my Roamio to freeze last night when it was resting? [I'm just kinda thinking out load here.]


One other thing -- I almost forgot. The last 10 days or so. When I hit Play from the "My Shows" screen, I sometimes get a delay and sometimes the rotating circle. Not always. Sometimes it works fine. When I stop watching the Tivo at night, I leave it usually on the "My Shows" screen. Is that OK? Or should I be leaving it in a "quieter" state. I know there is some difference in opinion on whether we should leave it in Standby. Isn't that the equivalent of placing your PC in the Sleep Mode at night?

Last edited by JER01; 01-25-2018 at 10:42 PM.
JER01 is offline  
post #2745 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
One other thing -- I almost forgot. The last 10 days or so. When I hit Play from the "My Shows" screen, I sometimes get a delay and sometimes the rotating circle. Not always. Sometimes it works fine. When I stop watching the Tivo at night, I leave it usually on the "My Shows" screen. Is that OK? Or should I be leaving it in a "quieter" state. I know there is some difference in opinion on whether we should leave it in Standby. Isn't that the equivalent of placing your PC in the Sleep Mode at night?
I can't address the random responses to your input, let me answer what I can. That rotating circle, called a Blue Spinning Circle (BSC), happens due to a network problem. It's not usually your problem, but a TiVo server problem. They happen from time to time.

It doesn't matter where you leave the TiVo when you finish with it, it will go to live TV after about 15 minutes. That's the TiVo definition of a screen saver. Some do choose Standby or Power Saving. I have one TiVo that is usually in Standby and two that are never in Standby. Standby does stop video and audio output, and stops the tuners until needed. It's something you can consider.

If it was my TiVo, I would do a reset operation called Clear Program Information and To Do List. This wipes your guide. It then rebuilds the guide and using your 1P and recording schedule, it rebuilds the TDL. It seems sometimes a TiVo gets guide or program data that causes brain damage. I do this operation at least twice a year. It takes about an hour. Nothing is lost. It will cleanup your History folder also.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 01-26-2018 at 04:00 AM.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2746 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Intheswamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I guess the BSC can indicate a problem with the LAN or with your ISP, too? Basically an indication of no internet signal?

That's a good tip about "Clear Program Information". Being as the Roamio is a computer of sorts it makes sense to "straighten up the house" occasionally! Maybe the start of each new television season? Thanks for sharing!!!

Ed

ETA: In thinking about the BSC, it seems I recall when I had inadvertently left the Cat5e cable disconnected from my Mini Vox a message came up on the screen telling me something like "no computer connected". So maybe the BSC mostly does point to the Tivo server and if it's a full internet outage it gives a different message? Seems like I need to pull a plug on my router and see...one day.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
Intheswamp is offline  
post #2747 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 05:42 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,180
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8838 Post(s)
Liked: 5627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
I guess the BSC can indicate a problem with the LAN or with your ISP, too? Basically an indication of no internet signal?

That's a good tip about "Clear Program Information". Being as the Roamio is a computer of sorts it makes sense to "straighten up the house" occasionally! Maybe the start of each new television season? Thanks for sharing!!!

Ed

ETA: In thinking about the BSC, it seems I recall when I had inadvertently left the Cat5e cable disconnected from my Mini Vox a message came up on the screen telling me something like "no computer connected". So maybe the BSC mostly does point to the Tivo server and if it's a full internet outage it gives a different message? Seems like I need to pull a plug on my router and see...one day.
If there is no internet connection , yes that is a different message. Not a cause of blue circles

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #2748 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
I guess the BSC can indicate a problem with the LAN or with your ISP, too? Basically an indication of no internet signal?
That's a good tip about "Clear Program Information". Being as the Roamio is a computer of sorts it makes sense to "straighten up the house" occasionally! Maybe the start of each new television season? Thanks for sharing!!!
Ed
ETA: In thinking about the BSC, it seems I recall when I had inadvertently left the Cat5e cable disconnected from my Mini Vox a message came up on the screen telling me something like "no computer connected". So maybe the BSC mostly does point to the Tivo server and if it's a full internet outage it gives a different message? Seems like I need to pull a plug on my router and see...one day.
Like @aaronwt posted, you get a different message with no internet, usually a C501. Also, the Discovery Bar goes away to make room for the error. You will see What To Watch Now go dim. But until network access is needed, nothing may happen. My quick test for health is to select WTWN and see if I get the nine thumbnails quickly.

More periodic maintenance: On the first of the month I reset EVERYTHING. Since I never have a power problem I like to reset all my stuff since, like you said, they're computers. I also reseat the TiVo's HDMI cables while they are powered off.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2749 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for the guidance and ideas Joe, Intheswamp, aaronwt. Maybe I will give the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" a try this weekend. I will have to move my TiVo box back to the PC room to do that - bc setup did not work using wifi.


I tried the WTW today and absolutely no thumbnails come up. Just a blank grey middle screen.


My Tivo #2 was only 27 DAYS old yesterday. And all this is going on. This is very depressing. I am not looking forward to having to go thru this every month in the future. Bring back the MAG 2160s. They were a little more work to program, but, for the most part, were very reliable, trouble free, and required very little maintenance.


Jerry

Last edited by JER01; 01-26-2018 at 01:26 PM.
JER01 is offline  
post #2750 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
Thanks for the guidance and ideas Joe, Intheswamp, aaronwt. Maybe I will give the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" a try this weekend. I will have to move my TiVo box back to the PC room to do that - bc setup did not work using wifi.
I tried the WTW today and absolutely no thumbnails come up. Just a blank grey middle screen.
My Tivo #2 was only 27 DAYS old yesterday. And all this is going on. This is very depressing. I am not looking forward to having to go thru this every month in the future. Bring back the MAG 2160s. They were a little more work to program, but, for the most part, were very reliable and required very little maintenance.
Jerry
I find it bad that you can't use WiFi. I know it doesn't support a Mini, but service connections should be ok. But no WTWN, that's bad.

BTW, I look at the 515H under my Blu-ray on my rack and remember the old days when my cable wasn't encrypted.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2751 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I find it bad that you can't use WiFi. I know it doesn't support a Mini, but service connections should be ok. But no WTWN, that's bad.

BTW, I look at the 515H under my Blu-ray on my rack and remember the old days when my cable wasn't encrypted.

I have never seen an instance when my Scheduled Updates failed. Every time I check, they were successful. Including today. It was just during setup of my Tivo #1 that I could not setup with Wifi. I had to move my TiVo to the PC and hard wire it. Then move it back to the Family Room and use Wifi.


Prior to the last day or two, my WTW was working perfectly.


Has anybody used this link or associated links to try to copy your 1Ps to a temp source before you do the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" , and copy them back to Tivo 1P manager later? If it can be done, that would make this exercise a lot easier and less painful. I have not been able to figure out a way to do it. If I had two Tivos, it looks like it might work. You can transfer the 1Ps from one Tivo to another. I don't have two Tivos. But some of you do. Have you tried it?


http://online.tivo.com/start/manage


I wonder if I kept a list of shows on my 1P list on Excel, and used that list after the delete procedure, to search each show individually -- if that would work and be faster than setting up the new list on my TiVo with the remote.


Jerry

Last edited by JER01; 01-26-2018 at 02:07 PM.
JER01 is offline  
post #2752 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
Has anybody used this link or associated links to try to copy your 1Ps to a temp source before you do the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" , and copy them back to Tivo 1P manager later? If it can be done, that would make this exercise a lot easier and less painful. I have not been able to figure out a way to do it. If I had two Tivos, it looks like it might work. You can transfer the 1Ps from one Tivo to another. I don't have two Tivos. But some of you do. Have you tried it?
Jerry
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You don't lose anything with CPI&TDL. What happens: The guide is wiped. Therefore the To Do List has no data. So it needs a connection to get the full two weeks of data. That takes about five seconds on my 50Mbps internet. Then it needs to build a new To Do List. The 1P items are not affected. There may be some minor affects: any streaming 1P loses its place. A manually cancelled program may reappear (Friday late night). So after you start the operation you could walk away. I prefer to wait for "phase 1" to finish. Then I force a Service Connection rather than wait the usual 30 minutes. Total elapsed time is about 60 minutes maximum on a Roamio. Longer on a Premiere and shorter on a Bolt.

I have three TiVo boxes using a wireless bridge. Two of them feed a Mini, which also uses a wireless bridge.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2753 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,987
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
Thanks for the guidance and ideas Joe, Intheswamp, aaronwt. Maybe I will give the "Clear Program Information and To Do List" a try this weekend. I will have to move my TiVo box back to the PC room to do that - bc setup did not work using wifi.
I wonder how many of your problems are Hydra related. I imagine they are still squashing bugs.
JER01 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #2754 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I wonder how many of your problems are Hydra related. I imagine they are still squashing bugs.



I noticed today I am up to RC12. I had been RC11. I don't know when that happened.
JER01 is offline  
post #2755 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You don't lose anything with CPI&TDL. What happens: The guide is wiped. Therefore the To Do List has no data. So it needs a connection to get the full two weeks of data. That takes about five seconds on my 50Mbps internet. Then it needs to build a new To Do List. The 1P items are not affected. There may be some minor affects: any streaming 1P loses its place. A manually cancelled program may reappear (Friday late night). So after you start the operation you could walk away. I prefer to wait for "phase 1" to finish. Then I force a Service Connection rather than wait the usual 30 minutes. Total elapsed time is about 60 minutes maximum on a Roamio. Longer on a Premiere and shorter on a Bolt.

I have three TiVo boxes using a wireless bridge. Two of them feed a Mini, which also uses a wireless bridge.

I may have picked up some misinformation by searching: Clear Program Information and To Do List.


Much of the info out there is 10 years old. I think the CPI procedure may have cleared the 1P info in the past - or made the old 1P list unresponsive/useless.


"" The guide is wiped. Therefore the To Do List has no data. So it needs a connection to get the full two weeks of data. That takes about five seconds on my 50Mbps internet. Then it needs to build a new To Do List.""


Maybe I won't have to move my box to the PC and hardwire it. I was thinking this was more like a Re-setup. During my initial setup, I did not wait until my Guide had the full two weeks of data. I moved it back to wifi fairly quickly.


Anyway, it is no longer seeming like such bad chore. Thanks for the heads up.


Jerry

Last edited by JER01; 01-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.
JER01 is offline  
post #2756 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
Maybe I won't have to move my box to the PC and hardwire it. I was thinking this was more like a Re-setup. During my initial setup, I did not wait until my Guide had the full two weeks of data. I moved it back to wifi fairly quickly.
There is a network connection test (Network Troubleshooting) that does not download guide information. Run that. If it fails, you have serious network problems. It's located at the top of the screen that has the port test. It does set your clock, so check that also.
JER01 likes this.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2757 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
There is a network connection test (Network Troubleshooting) that does not download guide information. Run that. If it fails, you have serious network problems. It's located at the top of the screen that has the port test. It does set your clock, so check that also.


TCP port test failed. Not sure what this means.


DNS test Succeeded


The Time appears to be good. Although, I did miss the last few seconds of a couple of recorded shows this week.


I tested multiple times and the same result.
JER01 is offline  
post #2758 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
TCP port test failed. Not sure what this means.
DNS test Succeeded
The Time appears to be good. Although, I did miss the last few seconds of a couple of recorded shows this week.
I tested multiple times and the same result.
Sounds good. No one knows what the port 37 failure means, how to stop it or how to cause it. I had it for almost a year.

If the test got your account information, set the clock and didn't fail, I would try wireless. Good luck.
JER01 likes this.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #2759 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Member
 
JER01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Sounds good. No one knows what the port 37 failure means, how to stop it or how to cause it. I had it for almost a year.

If the test got your account information, set the clock and didn't fail, I would try wireless. Good luck.

Thanks Joe. And here I thought that was really bad news. I'm glad you told me. I probably would have spent another couple hours researching that.
JoeKustra likes this.
JER01 is offline  
post #2760 of 3311 Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,683
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
JoeKustra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off