TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 986Likes

post #2941 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Not sure why you consider $199 (4-tuners with Lifetime) too much money... but that's what I paid for several.
Only $199 with lifetime (or "All In")?

When, where, and what models did find them for that cheap a price?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
dturturro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Only $199 with lifetime (or "All In")?
When, where, and what models did find them for that cheap a price?
Black Friday 2017 for a refurb Roamio 1TB OTA. Last year it was $299 for a new one.
post #2943 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Yes,I picked up the 500gb model for that price.Of course soon I'll be putting in a larger hardrive.
By the way, what are the best drives to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Not sure why you consider $199 (4-tuners with Lifetime) too much money... but that's what I paid for several.
How many TVs?
post #2945 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
How many TVs?
One (sold several of the $199 guys). Although I'd probably purchase it over a mini on sale. I have had numerous HDHomeRuns (issues like a iffy power supply rebooting when a second recording kicked in and a dual tuner simply stopped working) and untold number of network based DVRs solutions. Android I wouldn't touch, WMC is fine, DVBLink is better. Heck the effortless (almost instant after ending) auto-skip of commercials is virtually worth the price. Second heck many of them you can't even commercial delay viewing... like the (new) Stream + Live Channels. As your original post stated... since you have never owned one I'm not sure I'd compare them to something else. The actual user experience is what makes a DVR or anything else... even if you could spend less it would be money not well saved...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |

Last edited by Charles R; 04-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #2946 of 3322 Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Networked turners, that support multiple clients, and one central server that controls all the recordings and setup is the only way to go these days.
Hmmm . . . do you have a wife?
Primestar31 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2947 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
OP's time machine is probably not working properly at this time.
post #2948 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have had good luck with wd red 3tb.
Has a three year warranty and you can find them on sale for $95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Yes,I picked up the 500gb model for that price.Of course soon I'll be putting in a larger hardrive.
By the way, what are the best drives to use?
post #2949 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sticking my nose in, where it probably does not belong. I have never owned a Tivo, too much money for me, but did have Dish PAL DVR and it was great while it worked. But today, it is way too much money for a stand alone DVR, when other less expensive options exist.

Networked turners, that support multiple clients, and one central server that controls all the recordings and setup is the only way to go these days.
If you are looking for a DVR, this is probably the best place to stick your nose. While this is a TiVo forum, it is frequented by DVR+ and DTVPal refugees. In fact, I still have one working Pal and two DVR+'s. I also happen to own a few of the HDHomeRun network tuners and a Plex Lifetime subscription. So I have a pretty good perspective.

With regard to TiVo prices, I agree they have been high. Most of the time I have been shopping for a DVR, an OTA TiVo with Lifetime went for ~$800. I bought my first three when the price dropped to $300 for the 500g Roamio/OTA. I added two more at $200. Not sure we will ever see those prices again, but the current $400 incarnation is not a bad deal. First, it's a 1t model, so twice the storage. Second, it has voice support. It has four tuners, so you can think of it as a network tuner as well. The TiVo to Mini experience is very good. I would also challenge the notion that it is a standalone DVR given the very decent app support.

The first $300 promotion happened in May. You may want to set up a watch on some of the deal sites to alert you to TiVo deals. Good luck!
post #2950 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Hmmm . . . do you have a wife?
I think Roku+HDHR or TabloTV are user friendly. Performance is not as good, but everything works the way one would expect. FWIW, my wife ranked DVRs 1. DTVPal, 2. TiVo, and 3. DVR+. I found the TiVo more complicated to use than the others and am just beginning to take advantage of One Pass.
post #2951 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
How many TVs?
Tivo Minis solve the extra TV cost problem.
dturturro likes this.
post #2952 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
OP's time machine is probably not working properly at this time.
Oh I have seen him around here for years. He has past up more TiVo sells than he has Android boxes.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
post #2953 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I think Roku+HDHR or TabloTV are user friendly. Performance is not as good, but everything works the way one would expect. . . . am just beginning to take advantage of One Pass.
Perhaps, but feature integration on the TiVo is excellent. If you are only now starting to use 1-pass, you haven't seen it yet. For example: the only streaming services we have are Netflix and Amazon Prime -- both are handled natively in the TiVo interface and fully integrated. There are several current shows that my wife likes to watch back episodes of. When the 1-pass was set up, it tells me whether the back catalog is available on Netflix or Prime and gives me the option to include streaming content in the 1-pass. So when my wife clicks into the TiVo playlist folders for say, Blue Bloods or NCIS, she can select recorded episodes from the current season or any previous episodes that are in the Netflix/Prime catalogs -- without knowing or caring what Netflix or Prime is. The same goes for any cable shows that are only on Netflix/Prime -- search for the show in the TiVo UI; create the 1-pass; the shows folder appears in the TiVo playlist; click into the folder, select an episode and Play.

You get what you pay for with a TiVo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2954 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Perhaps, but feature integration on the TiVo is excellent. If you are only now starting to use 1-pass, you haven't seen it yet. For example: the only streaming services we have are Netflix and Amazon Prime -- both are handled natively in the TiVo interface and fully integrated. There are several current shows that my wife likes to watch back episodes of. When the 1-pass was set up, it tells me whether the back catalog is available on Netflix or Prime and gives me the option to include streaming content in the 1-pass. So when my wife clicks into the TiVo playlist folders for say, Blue Bloods or NCIS, she can select recorded episodes from the current season or any previous episodes that are in the Netflix/Prime catalogs -- without knowing or caring what Netflix or Prime is. The same goes for any cable shows that are only on Netflix/Prime -- search for the show in the TiVo UI; create the 1-pass; the shows folder appears in the TiVo playlist; click into the folder, select an episode and Play.

You get what you pay for with a TiVo.
Me too, have both Netflix and Amazon Prime subscribed to on the Roamio OTA and a Mini...

But on a sidenote, their convenient integration into the TiVo UI aside, very disappointed in AP. Though an extensive library to select from, almost everything is still pay even with a subscription ....

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #2955 of 3322 Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Me too, have both Netflix and Amazon Prime subscribed to on the Roamio OTA and a Mini...

But on a sidenote, their convenient integration into the TiVo UI aside, very disappointed in AP. Though an extensive library to select from, almost everything is still pay even with a subscription ....
I find the Prime catalog to be extensive and complimentary to the Netflix catalog.

If you are into streaming, you need to bookmark this website:
https://www.justwatch.com/us?providers=amp,nfx
I would be lost without it.

Unclick the Netflix button and you can see the whole Prime catalog.
aaronwt, Intheswamp, A J and 2 others like this.

- kelson h

post #2956 of 3322 Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I find the Prime catalog to be extensive and complimentary to the Netflix catalog.

If you are into streaming, you need to bookmark this website:
https://www.justwatch.com/us?providers=amp,nfx
I would be lost without it.

Unclick the Netflix button and you can see the whole Prime catalog.
Interesting website

Thanks for the info.
post #2957 of 3322 Old 04-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
While this is a TiVo forum, it is frequented by DVR+ and DTVPal refugees. In fact, I still have one working Pal and two DVR+'s. I also happen to own a few of the HDHomeRun network tuners and a Plex Lifetime subscription. So I have a pretty good perspective.
Hello Wizwor, I'm a DVR+ refugee; thinking of buying a Tivo Roamio OTA VOX to replace it. How does the Roamio OTA turner compare to the DVR+ tuner? I'm in a fringe region, so received signal quality is an issue.

Thanks,

Scott
post #2958 of 3322 Old 04-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Hello Wizwor, I'm a DVR+ refugee; thinking of buying a Tivo Roamio OTA VOX to replace it. How does the Roamio OTA turner compare to the DVR+ tuner? I'm in a fringe region, so received signal quality is an issue.

Thanks,

Scott
In my experience, the DVR+ tuners are a little better. By that I mean that, in my circumstances, channels which came in on the DVR+ might be in and out on the TiVo. I have no way to assess the actual quality of the tuners. My speculation has always been that splitting the signal four times adversely impacted reception at the fringe. That said, I am delighted with the quality and performance of both DVRs.
post #2959 of 3322 Old 04-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
How does the Roamio OTA turner compare to the DVR+ tuner? I'm in a fringe region, so received signal quality is an issue.
Out of the three most recent models (not counting the current model) the oldest Series 3 HD (model 652) had th best tuner by far.
The series 4 Premier was anything but "premier'. I suffers from mulitpath issues and the Roamio is no better!
I have reception issues, not just multipath, but a very mixed signal level environment where there is a mix of very strong and weak signals (in the same direction). The Roamio fails as does the Premier. Where the older S3 HD '652' did not.

Example; where a station that is 'on the cliff' is receivable at the time on a decent tuner, it will be either not there or pixelated to a point of not being watchable. This isn't to say it may not be a problem in your situation. Every situation is different. Most apparently don't have a problem, but it is surely very noticeable here. Upon the 1st connection it was noticeable here.

As far as I know, this isn't necessary a 'signal strength' issue.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2960 of 3322 Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi All,

Last night all my green SKIP buttons disappeared from my titles. Today they are still missing. I have about 15 titles that used to have the SKIP option -- that currently do not.. Anybody else having this problem?

Jerry
post #2961 of 3322 Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post
Hi All,
Last night all my green SKIP buttons disappeared from my titles. Today they are still missing. I have about 15 titles that used to have the SKIP option -- that currently do not.. Anybody else having this problem?
Jerry
It has been reported by over 1 poster on TCF. I have two Roamio with 20.7.4.RC29 that don't have the problem. My Hydra box is unplugged, so I can't check it. No solution yet.

From what little I know about SM, it can't be your fault.

See -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...#post-11504289
JER01 likes this.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 05-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
post #2962 of 3322 Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It has been reported by over 1 poster on TCF. I have two Roamio with 20.7.4.RC29 that don't have the problem. My Hydra box is unplugged, so I can't check it. No solution yet.

From what little I know about SM, it can't be your fault.

See -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...#post-11504289

Thanks Joe
JoeKustra likes this.
post #2963 of 3322 Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 PM

OK -- I managed to get all my beloved little green SKIP buttons back. Here is what I did.

>> Rebooted the Tivo

>> Did a forced connection to the Tivo server.

Presto -- SKIP is back.

I wonder what happened to make them go away?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. before I rebooted and forced connection, I went to the Recently Deleted Files area and it was filled with files with little green SKIP buttons. So whatever happened to remove the SKIP function, it did not affect that area.

p. s.2 before I did the reboot and forced connection, I checked for the last time it connected to the server. It connected earlier today successfully. So the connection alone did not fix the problem.

Jerry

Last edited by JER01; 05-09-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #2964 of 3322 Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Like others, I record the occasional show in a series that doesn't acquire SkipMode data (no green icon). However, there has been several times where I have recorded the same program on both of my Roamio's only to find that the SkipMode data for the show was available on one of the TiVo's but not the other. So this clearly demonstrates that the SkipMode data for the show was indeed created and made available, but for some reason one of my Roamio's didn't pick it up off the TiVo server.

So my question is: has anyone found or published a reliable method to force a Roamio to grab SkipMode data from the server (like you can force a network connection to update the guide info). The reboot/force_connection method of @JER01 above may work to restore SkipMode icons that suddenly get lost, but it doesn't work if you didn't have the SkipMode icon (and downloaded SkipMode data) to begin with.

- kelson h

post #2965 of 3322 Old 05-13-2018, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So my question is: has anyone found or published a reliable method to force a Roamio to grab SkipMode data from the server (like you can force a network connection to update the guide info).
Like you I have two active Roamio boxes. Usually the recordings are split, just because I can. One has 1TB and the other 3TB. Last week I began recording CBS on both to see if it could help me find a noise problem. It did. But SM was present on both boxes for common programs. Granted it was a small sample, but in the past I have always had the same results.

There have been reports of a service connection causing SM to be applied. There have been reports of deleting a program followed by recovery making SM appear. Nothing has ever worked for me. That said, there is a "tracking thread" on TCF that many use to report SM failures. Last week my SNL failed to have SM. Others reported no problem. BTW, I always fill out the failure form on TiVo's web site. It even says "thank you" now.

My opinion: it's a network issue. First, the TiVo has to get the SM "stuff" after the program ends. Perhaps when it asks, TiVo garbles the request. Ask differently and you get that screen repaint that gives you the green icon and I guess the data needed. I have asked several time for a way to know why a program doesn't have SM. A code would be good. In Info there is data about a program, like its size. Adding a code for SM should be a fun task for some TiVo programmer. There has to be interest in this are since auto-SM with IFTTT. Maybe someday. Right after the fix the counting of RS Corrected errors.

An example of loss of SM and its recovery -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...p-mode.560303/

BTW, I reboot all my stuff every month.
Kelson likes this.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 05-13-2018 at 04:55 AM.
post #2966 of 3322 Old 05-14-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I am having a problem with 'enter/last' (previous channel) command working on my Mini. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes not. Doing a restart either by menu or unplugging/replugging does not cure it.
There is no rhyme or reason why it works sometimes and most times it doesn't. At least nothing I can figure out.
I forced a connection to Tivo, but that didn't help. It works fine on my Roamio OTA.
Someone fixed a problem with 'skip' by forcing a reconnection with the main box (Roamio OTA), but I don't see an option for this in the Mini setup menu.
How do you force a reconnection to the main box?

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #2967 of 3322 Old 05-15-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I am having a problem with 'enter/last' (previous channel) command working on my Mini. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes not. Doing a restart either by menu or unplugging/replugging does not cure it.
There is no rhyme or reason why it works sometimes and most times it doesn't. At least nothing I can figure out.
I forced a connection to Tivo, but that didn't help. It works fine on my Roamio OTA.
Someone fixed a problem with 'skip' by forcing a reconnection with the main box (Roamio OTA), but I don't see an option for this in the Mini setup menu.
How do you force a reconnection to the main box?
The only service connection is the one to the TiVo servers, found in Networking. I guess if you had two hosts, you could change hosts and back to force a "connection".

The Last button had problems but I thought they were fixed. It was not working when a channel was manually entered or selected from the guide. If channel up/down was used then it was ok.
post #2968 of 3322 Old 05-18-2018, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Skip Mode has become increasingly unreliable on my RoamiOTA as of late. TLS with Stephen Colbert has only had SM once over the last week.

I've tried the Restart and Forced Download trick without success. Anyone have success with other methods? Is there a thread specifically to report SM issues?
post #2969 of 3322 Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Skip Mode has become increasingly unreliable on my RoamiOTA as of late. TLS with Stephen Colbert has only had SM once over the last week.
I've tried the Restart and Forced Download trick without success. Anyone have success with other methods? Is there a thread specifically to report SM issues?
This one is active. I use it for any failure -> https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun....558166/unread

I also fill out the failure form, even if it's just to make me feel better -> http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/1/p3075425841.aspx

I record about 20 programs/week. I miss maybe one or two per month. My frequent failures are The Late Show and The Daily Show. Now that prime time is almost total repeats, there will be fewer problems.
post #2970 of 3322 Old 05-29-2018, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Tivo Customer Support

I originally had a Tivo Bolt 4K white. I had made a poor choice for my cord cutting scenario. Hated the white and didn't need the 4K. After I realized that a Roamio was the correct choice, I've been checking prices.. Grabbed a new 1TB vox model with life time for $285 last week. But I still owed 4 x$15 on the Bolt! What the hey, I called Tivo and asked what to do? I had the Roamio installed and running and the Bolt reboxed ready for Ebay. Here's the good part. they waved the 4 payments and an early termination fee, gave me a case number for the next owner for activation and thanked me for my business... WOW

So, now monthly is down to $45 for life 60Mb Earthlink and $25 for Sling Blue. DirecTv was $140...

Pretty sweet…..
aaronwt, Jim1348, tngiloy and 3 others like this.

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 2 Atrium 5 Front Tops | 2 Klipsch R-14SA Rear heights | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page