DirecTV Genie recording listing changes... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DirecTV Genie recording listing changes...

A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see the latest episode of Gold Rush didn't appear in the recordings list. I headed to the series manager queue to see what happened and the system said it had recorded. One option was to "go to episode" which I did and it took me to the Gold Rush folder and highlighted that night's show. I didn't notice it because the latest recording was listed at the end of the list. That was odd, but I let it go.

Shortly after I noticed that season and episode numbers were appearing in front of some recordings. But this wasn't consistent.

Tonight I called DTV and found everyone there had no idea. I was left on hold for a while and started investigating myself and I am not completely confused.

I've got two examples and comments on them.

The first is Gold Rush which is shown here:

Notice at the top the listing is "ordered by date (newest first)" but the first three items aren't the newest. The first three are in descending order 1/23, 1/16, 1/9 and then comes 1/24 and finally today. WHAT?
Maybe they decided to sort based off title, but S? would come after Rogue Miner. So maybe it's based on Season/Episode then recording date? It's not really clear.

I then looked at Shark Tank which adds to the confusion:

In this case the first listing is from today (YEAH, that's what I want!) But now two of the episodes have the S/E prefix one today's the other recorded on 1/13. The date ordering here is all over the place... Today, 1/13, 1/27, 1/23/ 1/16. This is making no sense. To add to the strangeness The first two items in the list are from 2015, the next two are 2014 and the last one is 2015 also.

I spoke with two folks at directv and after a lengthy description of what's going on both the front line and her supervisor were unclear what's going on. I had piqued the supervisor's curiosity and he said he'll investigate and get back to me. We'll see what happens.

Has anyone else been confused or annoyed by this latest change? I've seen this on my Genie and I'm not sure if the older receivers are doing something similar. I'm happy to see the season and episode info, but I'm not a fan of it messing up my recording listing.

(I really wish the image sizing worked correctly!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	513946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	513954  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I read on another site that it's changing to oldest first for the binge viewers but from what you're showing they have some work to do on it.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The sort order "newest first" in my case seems to be how the show categories (folders) are listed, but within the group I have no idea. It is inconsistent to say the least. I'm watching to see if Friday's gold rush flips to the season/episode format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
The sort order "newest first" in my case seems to be how the show categories (folders) are listed, but within the group I have no idea. It is inconsistent to say the least. I'm watching to see if Friday's gold rush flips to the season/episode format.
This problem has been reported by many people, I assume it will get fixed...
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
This problem has been reported by many people, I assume it will get fixed...
I hope so, but according to the people I spoke with at DTV it sounds like no one else has complained. Both reps stated this was the first call they've fielded and there's nothing listed in their knowledge base. I'm just hoping the supervisor who said he'd check it out when he gets home will follow through.

I also just confirmed on an HR-20 the shows don't have the season/episode displayed, so that's exclusive to the genie. The shows also list in the correct order from newest broadcast to oldest regardless of when the show is from. (ie reaired 2014 shows were mixed in between 2015 shows which are new this year) All the shows were correctly sorted by airing date/time.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I called DTV again just to confirm they were aware of the problem. This time I spoke with a rep, he happens to be a genie user, beta tester, and one of those guys who just happens to keep up on things (good job!) and had experienced this issue himself. He did say they are aware of the issue and working on it. During the discussion I mentioned another issue which he wasn't aware of and did send up the chain.

Pretty amazing that 4 days ago the two reps had no info on the problem. Today I just got lucky with this guy answering my call. He not only answered my question but was willing to investigate on the system in front of him trying to make sense of what's happening. He also suggested checking dbstalk for immediate feedback (yah I had known, but my choice was avsforum!). What a difference someone who cares about their job makes! They need more support folks like this guy!
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I was the only one having the issue where the Genie wasn't adding the season and episode number prefix. I was going crazy troubleshooting my network, rebooting the genie, talking with chat, etc. hopefully it gets fixed. I know it shouldn't, but it really bothers me that some are prefixed and others aren't.

Last edited by Sven37; 02-05-2015 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I called DTV again just to confirm they were aware of the problem. This time I spoke with a rep, he happens to be a genie user, beta tester, and one of those guys who just happens to keep up on things (good job!) and had experienced this issue himself. He did say they are aware of the issue and working on it. During the discussion I mentioned another issue which he wasn't aware of and did send up the chain.

Pretty amazing that 4 days ago the two reps had no info on the problem. Today I just got lucky with this guy answering my call. He not only answered my question but was willing to investigate on the system in front of him trying to make sense of what's happening. He also suggested checking dbstalk for immediate feedback (yah I had known, but my choice was avsforum!). What a difference someone who cares about their job makes! They need more support folks like this guy!
Many CSRs are either badly informed or they don't actually check the knowledge base. And a lot of the time, these things don't even get entered into the knowledge base. You are much more likely to get a correct response either here or at the other forums like dbstalk or satguys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page