HPR2000 Hopper: can it be used to spy on customers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Floydage
  • 3 Post By qz3fwd
  • 1 Post By TheKrell

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HPR2000 Hopper: can it be used to spy on customers?

Hi, folks!

I have a HPR2000 Hopper from DishNetwork. I've heard Verizon received a patented DVR technology that would Verizon to spy on their customers, supposedly for to create targeted advertising. Does DishNetwork have the ability to do this using their Hoppers? To clarify, I like to know if DishNetwork is viewing and listening to their customers.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. Administrator, if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please move this to the appropriate spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 86
"Viewing and listening"? No way Jose, that would be illegal in all sorts of ways. Now in the sense of say a cookie on a computer to collect data of what shows folks watch and record, yeah I could see that. Maybe even pick off the computer cookie info via Verizon ISP such that they can interject targeted commercials into the TV layer.
vmantilla likes this.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmantilla View Post
Hi, folks!

I have a HPR2000 Hopper from DishNetwork. I've heard Verizon received a patented DVR technology that would Verizon to spy on their customers, supposedly for to create targeted advertising. Does DishNetwork have the ability to do this using their Hoppers? To clarify, I like to know if DishNetwork is viewing and listening to their customers.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. Administrator, if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please move this to the appropriate spot.
Yes-it has been confirmed the NSA has secretly required Dish to include NSA survelience hardware in all of their boxes which 24/7 spies on your activities including video/audio which is sent back through military frequencies for data mining and logging of your minute by minute activities. You have been warned.
Floydage, eherberg and vmantilla like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe all Dish receivers connected to broadband have the ability to log your viewing habits for the purpose of targeted advertising. Even the old receivers with a phone line connection may have done some of that. I imagine DirecTV can do that too, but I have heard no rumors on them.
vmantilla likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Yes-it has been confirmed the NSA has secretly required Dish to include NSA survelience hardware in all of their boxes which 24/7 spies on your activities including video/audio which is sent back through military frequencies for data mining and logging of your minute by minute activities. You have been warned.
Thank you, qz3fwd. This is frightening .
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
I believe all Dish receivers connected to broadband have the ability to log your viewing habits for the purpose of targeted advertising. Even the old receivers with a phone line connection may have done some of that. I imagine DirecTV can do that too, but I have heard no rumors on them.
Thanks, TheKrell. I suspected cookies of some sort are being placed on our smart TVs, too. I wonder how these cookies can be cleared? Oh, well... That is for another thread .
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, TheKrell. I suspected cookies of some sort are being placed on our smart TVs, too. I wonder how these cookies can be cleared? Oh, well... That is for another thread .
Hi, folks!

Here's the YouTube video that brought this to my attention.

I hope you find it informative.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi, folks!

Here's the YouTube video that brought this to my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlX4oAnS8nA

I hope you find it informative.
WTF!
I am sticking with my old CRT TV and am installing only GNU/Linux on any HTPC I will be building. And no Audio/Video input devices will be connected to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page