No idea what DVR to buy - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 110 Old 02-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
There is this one Android based box my friend keeps recommending me. I think it has everything you specified.
I'm thinking of buying one now myself.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Although I use HDHomeRun Prime tuners with cable cards, one or two of this tuner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-034-_-Product and any Intel 'core' Win7 computer with HDMI output would probably fill the bill. WMC is included with all Win7 home and above. I really have to wonder about all these folks who nay-say that as a solution. I have an i3-3225 on our main TV and have never had a complaint from the missus who uses it all the time. It took an hour or so to set it up and maintenance is comprised of an occasional reboot and deleting old shows. She prefers a mouse and keyboard interface but that's probably because she shops and SCRABBLES© and FaceBooks on it. Captures and watches her own shows and even watches stuff from the Internet on YouTube and Amazon.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited by olyteddy; 02-21-2015 at 08:30 PM.
post #33 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That slipped past me.
I guess the only other option for clear QAM is the Philips 5750. It has manual clock but probably has to be checked and reset every week.

@DeeVeeAre
Look at this unit https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...b-storage.html. They never caught on and are currently being dumped by Radio Shack for $125. If this will fit for you, you better act quick before they are gone.
Thank you Kelson!

There is one very good, detailed review on Radioshack.com which says:

"*Single NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner for tuning and recording all OTA/antenna and unscrambled digital cable channels. Tunes analog cable channels but can't record them."

Similarly, an Amazon reviewer says:
"I later connected the DVR to my cable. There's not a cable box, so I connected the coax cable out of the wall to the DVR. If you have a cable box you may not have this issue, but in my case the DVR found 38 digital channels and 50 analog channels. So the channel line up didn't look like it did before--like I didn't have channel 111.10662 previously. But the issue is that the DVR will only record digital channels, so the 50 analog channels can't be recorded. One other disadvantage I had was that there was not a program guide to reference for scheduling recordings. Maybe with a cable box there would be a program guide displayed, I don't know."

For the ViewTV box, it sounds like there is no NTSC tuner, so I can understand why it would not record analog cable channels. If the Philips unit has an analog tuner, why on earth wouldn't it record (nonscrambled) analog cable channels?

Also, does this Philips box have loop-through so I can watch one channel while recording another (without having to set up a splitter and A/B switch)?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Whether you wish to accept it or not - Clear-QAM is nearly dead. Many other communities also have retiree's and low-income residents and also have lost theirs. I have relatives in rural ND that said the same. "We're a small community ... Too many people would complain about needing DTA's for all of their TV's ... etc". For those relatives - the last of their channels will disappear on Tuesday without a dta box. The supplying of free DTA boxes for a limited amount of time (1 - 2 years, for the most part) is how Time-Warner (and other cable companies) get around that.

Sooner or later - the demand for more HD capacity by other customers will push even your system to get rid of the last of the analog and switch to an all-digital system.

For the others: Is it still true that the iview/homeworx boxes don't do clear-qam out-of-the-box? Or at least do it very well? I thought it was a special firmware that had to be utilized (and, in fact, was downloaded right from these forums for a while)?
I'm not rejecting that it is dying, I'm rejecting that I should give up on finding a device that fits the parameters I listed.

My cable company has been providing Clear-QAM channels since at least 2010 (perhaps earlier, I just noticed it in 2010 when I got a new TV), so I could have been enjoying it for 5 years already!
post #35 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
What ClearQAM HD channels are you getting other than those available over-the-air? Most TW systems only feed The Weather Channel, C-Span and maybe WGN or CNN in ClearQAM.

You just might do just as well with the cheap box and an antenna.
This thread and your post inspired me to re-scan and map out all the available channels, It took me a couple of hours last night. When you say OTA, I assume you mean 'analog only channels on the co-ax'. I don't get any OTA channels. Are you asking specifically what channels are only available digital and not analog? Or are you interested in all of the digital channels available including ones that are also available analog? It's more than Weather, c-span, WGN, and CNN (all of which I get as Digital and Analog).

The following are available as digital channels only: 2 network channels (CBS and ABC) from Albany NY, Cozi, PBS Kids, LiveWell, Antenna, multiple religious and foreign language channels (aside from Spanish there are a couple of Korean ones), RT, some barker and test channels, some radio (audio only) channels (local FM stations, I believe), and Bounce.
post #36 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're dead-set against a box for cable, but your replacement will require a box. Curious - why not go for real savings and be a cord-cutter? Use OTA for networks and simply purchase only the programming you want from Amazon, Google Play, ITunes, etc?
Perhaps I have philosophical issues with paying the cable company for a box? I can't be a traditional cord cutter because I receive no OTA channels here... actually, this is an exaggeration, I do receive two OTA channels; one is a religious channel and the other is a local channel from Albany that is rebroadcast from a low power translator under 10 miles away. I can't get that one with indoor rabbit ears. Aside from those two channels, I am unfortunately located smack-dab between the two major markets of NYC and Albany NY. The OTA channels of interest are transmitted from over 50 miles away. I'd also have to have multiple antennas or a rotator, because the two groups of transmitters I'd aim at are 180 degrees from each other. Also, I am in a valley (locally) within a valley (the Hudson River Valley). Reception is beyond poor in my neighborhood. Even an external antenna won't help (I iterated through the TVFool maps several times while increasing antenna height. It wasn't until I was simulating an antenna height of >150 feet that those 50 mile distant channels started moving from the red zone to the yellow zone. Imagine the tower that would require! Long story short, OTA is not going to happen here.

Quote:
Note that using USB sticks for recording can lead to increased recording problems with those boxes. The read/write speeds of USB drives are not really fast enough for HD recording.

Also - your confusing time-shifting and recording. It's true that these cheap boxes will allow you to pause a program for a bit and then play 'catch-up'. But that's different functionality than a scheduled recording. To these boxes - they don't even use the same buffer.
Kelson's original comment which I was responding to was:
There is no intelligence, you are responsible for changing the parameters if the broadcast time changes -- just like your VCR's. You cannot watch the recording as it is recording -- like a VCR you have to wait until it has finished recording.

I still don't think that is right. From the review comments, it seems that you can start watching before the recording is finished.

Last edited by DeeVeeAre; 02-22-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typo
post #37 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The TVIX 6620 does clear QAM and has its own clock.

As eherberg mentioned, if you're against monthly DVR fees, then you can't switch from cable to satellite. Satellite TV systems are entirely proprietary, so you can't use your own DVR to record satellite TV. You must rent the satellite company's DVR to record anything (aside from feeding the output of the satellite STB into your VCR).
I'm only against it in my current situation. I understand how the satellite DVRs work. I used to have DirecTV. But back then, I was taping shows with a VCR too
post #38 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 4032
I'm asking what digital channels you're getting that aren't available for free with an antenna from over-the-air broadcasters. (OTA = Over the air. Nearly all local broadcasters are digital. Cable systems retransmit those OTA stations)

The Weather Channel, WGN America, C-Span and CNN . Those are CABLE networks.

ABC, CBS, Cozi, PBS Kids, LiveWell, Antenna, "multiple religious and foreign language channels" and Bounce are all OTA networks that Time Warner is most-likely just re-broadcasting. For example, LiveWell is coming from WTEN.

So, the answer to my question would be The Weather Channel, WGN America, C-Span and CNN along with test and barker channels. Which is pretty much the norm for Time Warner.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #39 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! Sorry, I see what you're saying; you really were asking which channels were digital and not (originally) OTA. I tend not to give much thought to what is available OTA here because I am in a poor reception area.
CNN is in 1080i and there are C-SPANs -1, -2, and -3, if you are interested (all in 480i though).

There are some channels which are not OTA channels that I left out because they are available in both digital and analog;

-A local access channel
-Some kind of leased access channel which claims to have some programming but whenever I flip past it, it just has a static graphic
-TNT (1080i)
-Ion OTA??
-Get TV (OTA?)
-Mundo Fox (Spanish. OTA?)
-Time Warner Cable News / YNN which is TWC generated content
-RNN (but not full time)
-Discovery (1080i)
-ESPN (720P)
-Fox News (720p)

Last edited by DeeVeeAre; 02-22-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Forgot some
post #40 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeVeeAre View Post
Kelson's original comment which I was responding to was:
There is no intelligence, you are responsible for changing the parameters if the broadcast time changes -- just like your VCR's. You cannot watch the recording as it is recording -- like a VCR you have to wait until it has finished recording.

I still don't think that is right. From the review comments, it seems that you can start watching before the recording is finished.
Yes you can chaseplay with the iView but you cannot playback a title already recorded while you are recording something else.
The iView does have a rather unique option though, you can be recording a program on a channel while also using the tuner to watch another channel on the same main channel. IOW you can be recording something like 4.1 and while doing that switch the tuner to 4.2(assuming they are on the same physical channel) and watch that. Very rare feature although I don't know how useful you'd find it. Oh and yes the iView has no analog tuner and the Philips does have a analog tuner but no analog to digital converter to allow you to record it to the HDD. The older Tivo's like my Tivo HD have both digital and analog tuners along with a analog to digital converter with 3 quality settings for converting analog to digital and recording it to the HDD.
I believe one can regularly purchase Tivo HDs with a lifetime subscription for ~$300 from places like ebay or craigslist. Note the Tivo HD doesn't have built in WiFi if that matters, you'd have to purchase a seperate probably harder to find Tivo WiFi adapter. The Tivo HD does have a built in dial-up modem and Ethernet input though.
post #41 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
If the Philips unit has an analog tuner, why on earth wouldn't it record (nonscrambled) analog cable channels?
Including a hardware MPEG-2 encoder would make the box more expensive. The ePVision PHD-VRX can also tune NTSC channels, but it can only record digital ones for the same reason.
post #42 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes you can chaseplay with the iView but you cannot playback a title already recorded while you are recording something else.
The iView does have a rather unique option though, you can be recording a program on a channel while also using the tuner to watch another channel on the same main channel. IOW you can be recording something like 4.1 and while doing that switch the tuner to 4.2(assuming they are on the same physical channel) and watch that. Very rare feature although I don't know how useful you'd find it. Oh and yes the iView has no analog tuner and the Philips does have a analog tuner but no analog to digital converter to allow you to record it to the HDD. The older Tivo's like my Tivo HD have both digital and analog tuners along with a analog to digital converter with 3 quality settings for converting analog to digital and recording it to the HDD.
I believe one can regularly purchase Tivo HDs with a lifetime subscription for ~$300 from places like ebay or craigslist. Note the Tivo HD doesn't have built in WiFi if that matters, you'd have to purchase a seperate probably harder to find Tivo WiFi adapter. The Tivo HD does have a built in dial-up modem and Ethernet input though.

I assume Tivo has to be hooked up to the internet (either through the ethernet or via an optional wireless connection) to get the guide data? I don't imagine they use a dialup service any more (??)

Does anyone know how I can verify the lifetime sub on it before purchasing it (assuming the seller lets me try it while connected to their TV)?
post #43 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
If the Philips unit has an analog tuner, why on earth wouldn't it record (nonscrambled) analog cable channels?

Also, does this Philips box have loop-through so I can watch one channel while recording another (without having to set up a splitter and A/B switch)?
Read the first post of that Philips thread I cited to you. The guy who runs that thread is the same one who posts those long reviews on sites that sell it. It goes in and out of stock at Radio Shack. It won't be available much longer so you should keep that in mind.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #44 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 02:36 PM

^^^ yes you can still use dial-up on a Tivo, it's how I get the guide on my HD and works just fine, just no streaming through the Tivo.
You can go into one of the setting screens and it will tell if you have lifetime or not. You could also probably call Tivo with the serial number of the unit and they should be able to tell you the status of the box. Note that some users with older Tivos like the HD have reported capacitor failure which can be a DIY project or people send theirs in for repair, I've never had an issue with mine though and upgraded to a 1TB drive almost day one of new purchase many years ago. I really love my Tivo HD and other than 2 more tuners with the new Tivos really have no interest in upgrading.
post #45 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have a suggestion. If you have a computer and internet, then subscribe to the free stuff such as HULU. That way you get your shows to watch at your convenience. I have a feeling that free HULU offers more channels than you are currently getting. Just run a cable from your computer to your TV and voila.
post #46 of 110 Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Read the first post of that Philips thread I cited to you. The guy who runs that thread is the same one who posts those long reviews on sites that sell it. It goes in and out of stock at Radio Shack. It won't be available much longer so you should keep that in mind.
It sold out again in the last few minutes, I noticed when I reloaded the page the 'buy' button dissappeared
post #47 of 110 Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
There is this one Android based box my friend keeps recommending me. I think it has everything you specified.
I'm thinking of buying one now myself.

What do you guys think?
I emailed the guy and they are not quite ready for prime time. Looks promising though.
post #48 of 110 Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
^^^ yes you can still use dial-up on a Tivo, it's how I get the guide on my HD and works just fine, just no streaming through the Tivo.
You can go into one of the setting screens and it will tell if you have lifetime or not. You could also probably call Tivo with the serial number of the unit and they should be able to tell you the status of the box. Note that some users with older Tivos like the HD have reported capacitor failure which can be a DIY project or people send theirs in for repair, I've never had an issue with mine though and upgraded to a 1TB drive almost day one of new purchase many years ago. I really love my Tivo HD and other than 2 more tuners with the new Tivos really have no interest in upgrading.
Thanks, I found someone selling one online but can't get him to commit to selling it. Ah well...
I have a 'wireless phone jack' I could use to allow the box to run on the dialup line.
post #49 of 110 Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
I have a suggestion. If you have a computer and internet, then subscribe to the free stuff such as HULU. That way you get your shows to watch at your convenience. I have a feeling that free HULU offers more channels than you are currently getting. Just run a cable from your computer to your TV and voila.
I don't think I can skip commercials on Hulu though
post #50 of 110 Old 02-25-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
I have a 'wireless phone jack' I could use to allow the box to run on the dialup line.
A wireless phone jack tied to a real hardline phone line is probably OK but dialup won't work with a cell phone service(like Verizon and maybe others have) tied to your home phone wiring. I looked into that as it would have saved me several dollars/month but such services only work with voice and not data(IOW not modems and fax machines, the Tivo is basically a modem).
post #51 of 110 Old 02-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Oh my, you want to have the cake and eat it too J/K, sure you will find something that works for you.

Quote:
I don't think I can skip commercials on Hulu though
post #52 of 110 Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
Oh my, you want to have the cake and eat it too J/K, sure you will find something that works for you.
That Philips unit became available again so I picked one up. After realizing that I rarely tape (er... record) shows on networks that aren't also available as digital channels, I figured I'd be OK with this solution. I did see a Tivo HD with a lifetime subscription for sale that was fairly cheap, so I will keep an eye out for that as well.
post #53 of 110 Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I found a Tivo HD series 3 with external expansion HDD and USB wifi dongle and lifetime account for $100 on Craigslist so I jumped on it. It seems to work great (been messing with it since I got home today) but the seller and I have to call TiVo to get the lifetime account swapped over.

Has anyone here done this and how much personal information do you have to provide? When you set it up (telling it which cable system you are on, linking it to apps on the phone, etc) do you do that on the phone or via your account on their website? Do you have to give them your address or just name and email?

Last edited by DeeVeeAre; 02-28-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #54 of 110 Old 02-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Ok I found a Tivo HD series 3 with external expansion HDD and USB wifi dongle and lifetime account for $100 on Craigslist so I jumped on it. It seems to work great (been messing with it since I got home today) but the seller and I have to call TiVo to get the lifetime account swapped over.

Has anyone here done this and how much personal information do you have to provide? When you set it up (telling it which cable system you are on, linking it to apps on the phone, etc) do you do that on the phone or via your account on their website? Do you have to give them your address or just name and email?
I sold a couple Premiers last year and if I remember right all the new owners needed for the lifetime transfer was a name and e-mail address.
post #55 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I do have cable TV but am on a very cheap plan with no cable boxes. I also don't want to rent an extra piece of equipment from the cable provider.
I'm in pretty much the same situation as DeeVeeAre (w/o the VCR thing).

TWC wants....

Quote:
Equipment Options

HD-DVR Box and Service

Record and watch HD and digital programming. Pause live TV, record 2 shows at once and record 30+ hours of programming. Each additional HD-DVR box and service combination is

$25.74 per month.

HD Box
Access to the Guide, Start Over®, Look Back®, Parental Controls, On Demand and Pay-Per-View. Each additional box after the first is $12.75 per month.
$25.74 per month is butt load of cash to folks on a fixed income.

Too bad TWC is another one of those big monopolies that has figued out that if you make something AFFORDABLE you will see a LOT more product !

Got to love Corportate G-R-E-E-D.
post #56 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
I sold a couple Premiers last year and if I remember right all the new owners needed for the lifetime transfer was a name and e-mail address.
Thanks Eric; I figured out how to reload the channel list for my local area but the account still isn't in my name. I assume there are apps and webpages where I can remotely set up recordings, etc. so that would be nice. I gotta call them today and see if I can get it switched over.
post #57 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

TWC wants....

Too bad TWC is another one of those big monopolies that has figued out that if you make something AFFORDABLE you will see a LOT more product !

I am on TWC too but thankfully I still get a bunch of unscrambled analog and digital channels. As others have mentioned, they will probably go away, but even if they last only another 4 months I am ahead of the game, money-wise. I don't know if TWC supports CableCard, but if they do then this may be a cheaper solution for scrambled channels, too. After playing with TiVo for a little while, I can definitely recommend it. If you can find a used one with a lifetime subscription for not a lot of money, it will pay for itself very quickly vs paying TWC $25/month.
post #58 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 4032
Quote:

TWC wants....

1. Not a monopoly. Perhaps you cannot access DirecTV or DISH from your location, and it's possible there are no alternative internet providers that would allow you to bypass TWC for Sling or AT&T Uverse. But because those exist and can serve your geographical area means TWC is not a monopoly.

2. You're quoting prices for an additional DVR. Doubt the first one is that high. I only have one HD DVR that shows up on the bill as $8. An additional one for me would be the price you quoted. That's about 800 dollars over the amount of time I've had the service. In that time, they've replaced the box twice. At that rate, they're losing money on me. I do realize part of that equipment price is rolled into the digital subscription fee, but you certainly don't get the other $16 refunded to you if you build your own box. Which is why I've kept the one DVR. Most stuff I record on my computers. The DVR is, for me, just a backup for the really important stuff and a gateway to On Demand content.

3. TWC's profit margin for 2014 was just over 9%. Hardly "corporate greed." In fact, that's a bit below industry expectations. Just sayin.'

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #59 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
TWC wants....

One of the results of digital cable is that they now know how many devices an account has connected. This has enabled them to realize their long-standing dream of charging a fee for every device using their signal. Many cable co's charge an access fee for each device attached -- independent of the equipment rental fee. The fee for the first device is usually rolled up in the basic monthly service charge because it is logical to assume that if you are subscribing to their service you will have at least 1 device connected. That is why 2nd boxes are often more expensive -- the price includes the access fee on top of the equipment rental. It all depends on your cable company and their rate plans.

I have read some people complain that even though they have their own equipment (TiVo or HTPC) and just rent a cable card, they are still charged a monthly access fee -- often in the $10/month range -- for attaching a device to the cable. The only way out of this is using a HTPC with extenders or a TiVo with Mini's that are not counted as being attached devices that can be charged for.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #60 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks Eric; I figured out how to reload the channel list for my local area but the account still isn't in my name. I assume there are apps and webpages where I can remotely set up recordings, etc. so that would be nice. I gotta call them today and see if I can get it switched over.
Did you rent a cable card for use with the TiVo? I'm not sure the guide will have proper information without a cable card. I believe @JoeKustra used his first TiVo without a cable card for a while to test it out and gave up on that pretty quickly.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page