Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #181 of 216 Old 06-14-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
No. It requires Stream or a TiVo with built-in stream. Much more:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=529243
Tivo online is really awesome. I love it. Bravo Tivo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 216 Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Tivo online is really awesome. I love it. Bravo Tivo.
Yes, works great for managing 1-passes between multiple Roamio's and setting remote recording requests. I'm not into watching my stuff on a PC but many are and are now accommodated.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #183 of 216 Old 06-15-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes, works great for managing 1-passes between multiple Roamio's and setting remote recording requests. I'm not into watching my stuff on a PC but many are and are now accommodated.
I was just watching the pilot for Dark Matter (SyFy) last night on my computer from the Tivo. It was really great (the experience not necessarily the show).
I would like a native compiled app on the computer side which allows simple things like changing the video window size and moving it around on the screen and transport controls.
Not likely to happen but would be nice. Now if some smart individual were to reverse engineer the communication protocol, we could build a native program ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 216 Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 PM

I posted this observation in the Roamio OTA thread but it is relevant here since this is a DVR+ vs. Roamio OTA comparison thread.

The $399 Roamio OTA pricing offer has made it to the TiVo.com Home Page. On the TiVo.com Home Page, clicking the Learn More button on the Roamio OTA ad at the top takes you directly to the $399 OTA deal. The subscription model is still available so the $399 offer has not supplanted the Roamio OTA subscription model -- at least not yet.

This puts the price of a TiVo Roamio OTA, with its 4-tuners, advanced whole-house feature set, integrated streaming of all the majors and continuing support, at less than $100 over the cost of a DVR+. I used to opine that the DVR+ was a good mid-range DVR with a mid-range feature set at a mid-range price -- that was when a Romio Basic cost north of $550. No more -- if the DVR+ expects to seriously compete for buyers against a $400 Roamio OTA it needs to sink below $200 (including the HDD cost).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 06-16-2015 at 05:50 AM.
post #185 of 216 Old 06-24-2015, 06:09 AM

As of June 8, TiVo added a Plex client to the list of Roamio OTA ($400) features -- Plex was also added to the Mini so this is whole-house Plex. For those with a Media-PC/media-library who can set up a Plex server, this is a potential game-changer.

I have a Plex server set up and have just scratched the surface but I'm using it to watch my TV series DVD's as I convert them from DVD.iso to episode.mkv and it's a whole-house game-changer for me. I basically now have all my media integrated into and through the TiVo UI. The lone exception is playing my full bitrate BluRay rips with HD audio in the main room -- those are played on my WDTV Live-SMP so the HD audio can be passed to the AVR and the video is passed as 1080p to the 65" plasma without any transcoding. But for the smaller HDTV's around the house without an AVR, Plexing those BD rips through the TiVo looks and sounds just fine -- no need to leave the TiVo interface and fire up one of the additional Live-SMP's I have.

It is hard to objectively compare their feature sets, stability, operational reliability and support and not come away with the conclusion that with less than $100 separating the Roamio OTA from the DVR+, the OTA buries the DVR+.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

post #186 of 216 Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It is hard to objectively compare their feature sets, stability, operational reliability and support and not come away with the conclusion that with less than $100 separating the Roamio OTA from the DVR+, the OTA buries the DVR+.
That's why I thought they should add firmware support for the SiliconDust OTA tuners. That would get them to tuner parity, unless Echostar has another recorder in the wings with newer hardware features. The DVR+ is getting a little long in the tooth hardware wise.
post #187 of 216 Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post
That's why I thought they should add firmware support for the SiliconDust OTA tuners. That would get them to tuner parity, unless Echostar has another recorder in the wings with newer hardware features.
LOL, they seem unable to fix the bugs in the unit they have now without adding new ones. For 6 months they over-hyped an update and once it was released the major topic in the DVR+ thread was how to configure one's router to block the DVR+ from downloading the update. That's sad

- kelson h

post #188 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
As of June 8, TiVo added a Plex client to the list of Roamio OTA ($400) features -- Plex was also added to the Mini so this is whole-house Plex. For those with a Media-PC/media-library who can set up a Plex server, this is a potential game-changer.

I have a Plex server set up and have just scratched the surface but I'm using it to watch my TV series DVD's as I convert them from DVD.iso to episode.mkv and it's a whole-house game-changer for me. I basically now have all my media integrated into and through the TiVo UI. The lone exception is playing my full bitrate BluRay rips with HD audio in the main room -- those are played on my WDTV Live-SMP so the HD audio can be passed to the AVR and the video is passed as 1080p to the 65" plasma without any transcoding. But for the smaller HDTV's around the house without an AVR, Plexing those BD rips through the TiVo looks and sounds just fine -- no need to leave the TiVo interface and fire up one of the additional Live-SMP's I have.

I have to agree with you. I have a DVR+ and like it, but the new lifetime subscription and Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and Plex makes the Roamio OTA a much better unit and just a slight price increase over the DVR+ (after adding a hard drive and wifi adapter).
post #189 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I have to agree with you. I have a DVR+ and like it, but the new lifetime subscription and Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and Plex makes the Roamio OTA a much better unit and just a slight price increase over the DVR+ (after adding a hard drive and wifi adapter).
I'm not sure what it looks like or its functionality, but having some OTT apps show on the guide is not possible with the TiVo. That said, finding programs or movies on those paid services you mentioned is very easy. This, however, would be comparing Rovi's guide to the TMS guide. Each has its pros and cons.
post #190 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I'm not sure what it looks like or its functionality, but having some OTT apps show on the guide is not possible with the TiVo. That said, finding programs or movies on those paid services you mentioned is very easy. This, however, would be comparing Rovi's guide to the TMS guide. Each has its pros and cons.
So far, even for the "linear" streaming Internet channels, there's no actual guide data as shown on the demo CM had at CES. It is convenient, but far from perfect. You have the Bloomberg Internet stream, but you don't know what's on until you click and see. Titan.tv did add the CM OTT channels to their listings.

The "Internet Apps" on the DVR+ appear as channels that, when you select, load the app's interface. There is a "are you sure?" prompt and then YouTube, Pandora or Vudu load with the same kind of delay I see with my Roku. The main advantage for my household is that you don't have to change TV inputs, a task that is evidently a fate worse than death (I don't get it either). I assume you can access Netflix, Plex, and OTA from the same remote with the Roamio OTA unit.
post #191 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So far, even for the "linear" streaming Internet channels, there's no actual guide data as shown on the demo CM had at CES. It is convenient, but far from perfect. You have the Bloomberg Internet stream, but you don't know what's on until you click and see. Titan.tv did add the CM OTT channels to their listings.

The "Internet Apps" on the DVR+ appear as channels that, when you select, load the app's interface. There is a "are you sure?" prompt and then YouTube, Pandora or Vudu load with the same kind of delay I see with my Roku. The main advantage for my household is that you don't have to change TV inputs, a task that is evidently a fate worse than death (I don't get it either). I assume you can access Netflix, Plex, and OTA from the same remote with the Roamio OTA unit.
I wish I could be more accurate, but I lack first hand experience with the DVR+. I do follow its thread on this forum. As for Tivo's access, it's not seamless, but it's pretty easy. My Roku 3 is the device I use for Pandora. The UI for Pandora on the TiVo is pretty rough but so are all the music apps. The UI for Pandora on the Roku 3 is almost the same as my Sony Blu-ray, but the Roku is much faster. I use the TiVo to watch Amazon since it achieves 1080/p24 fast and doesn't seem to need as much "help" with showing a good picture. The picture is very good on the Roku also.

When I think about the DVR+ I tend to fixate on the Rovi guide. My experience with the LG LST-3410A, Sony DHG-HDD250 and Sony 32EX700 has shown me that Rovi is really good at not supporting older products.
post #192 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I assume you can access Netflix, Plex, and OTA from the same remote with the Roamio OTA unit.
Yes, everything is accessed from the TiVo UI. It goes way beyond the simple launching of an app -- although you can do that if you want to search a service directly. With 1-pass you can set up a season pass for a show. Not only will it record the new episodes but it will search the services (NetFlix, Amazon, etc.) you subscribe to and link in all the back episodes in the providers catalog. i.e. - I have a 1-pass set up for Grimm and I have Amazon Prime which currently has seasons 1-3 for free Prime streaming. I have a Grimm folder in the TiVo playlist which contains the season 4 episodes I recorded this year (and haven't watched yet) and links to all the episodes of seasons 1-3 on Prime. I just go into my Grimm folder and can play any episode of the entire series.

- kelson h

post #193 of 216 Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, which guide will get the correct data first? This is for Sunday, July 12, NBC at 8pm EST live. It's already TBA on Zap2It and TitanTV.

update: Zap2It and TitanTV have American Ninja Warriors (repeat) now scheduled. Search fails to find it.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 07-01-2015 at 07:24 AM.
post #194 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Realize this is an old thread, but I'm trying to make a similar decision, Tivo Roamio OTA vs Channel Master DVR+, and think I'm going for Tivo, but one last chance for anyone to correct anything I've got wrong.

Current pricing has the Roamio OTA on Amazon at $299 with lifetime subscription, vs the channel master's $249 (with no subscription needed). In either case I'd buy a 3TB drive so as to never have to worry about space, which is cheaper/better for the Roamio cuz it takes fast internal drives as opposed to external USB 2.0 drives for DVR+ (or paying $150 extra for 1TB on DVR+), plus I get a free 500GB drive from the Tivo I can thru in my desktop, so overall the pricing favors the Tivo.

Based on my research, the Tivo has slightly better tuners, and four of them (as opposed to two on DVR+), has built in wifi (costs $40 extra for DVR+) and hard drive enclosure (which costs extra $150 for DVR+ and not even sure if upgradable), and allows copying files thru network - albiet with more restrictions than DVR+, but DVR+ requires physically moving the USB drive to computer to get at those files which is an inconvenience. Plus this Tivo Mini allowing to play the same recordings from a second TV is a cool possibility. Also Tivo has built in Netflix/Prime (DVR+ doesn't) which we have subscriptions for already, and I need a better Netflix player as my old BD Player doesn't support subtitles or 5.1 for Netflix - I like the surround sound, and my wife wants the captions on - so end up using netflix from pc (which is hooked up to receiver/tv), which wife does not like having to do, as it's not as convenient. And we have no prime player besides the PC.

The main things favoring the DVR+ I can find is perhaps less missed recordings and some people prefer the UI, plus full access to the drive (but only via USB). There's vague mention by ChannelMaster of Amazon Prime possibly coming, but nothing concrete. The mention of a jailbreak/kodi coming soon is tempting, I'd imagine it would allow me to share the drive on the network, and although I've never used Kodi, I have used XBMC on an Xbox back in the day (which kodi is based upon) and was always very impressed. If that were already implemented it might make the decision harder for me, but since it's just two random posts by a random person in DVR+ owners thread, who knows if it'll ever happen or not. Plus I was chatting with my brother (who lives out of town so I haven't actually seen it) and he says he runs Kodi on a cheap Amazon Firestick, so if I really want that, could use it alongside DVR+ or Tivo - although built into the dvr would be more convenient for the wife.

Thoughts?
post #195 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
Realize this is an old thread, but I'm trying to make a similar decision, Tivo Roamio OTA vs Channel Master DVR+, and think I'm going for Tivo, but one last chance for anyone to correct anything I've got wrong.

Current pricing has the Roamio OTA on Amazon at $299 with lifetime subscription, vs the channel master's $249 (with no subscription needed). In either case I'd buy a 3TB drive so as to never have to worry about space, which is cheaper/better for the Roamio cuz it takes fast internal drives as opposed to external USB 2.0 drives for DVR+ (or paying $150 extra for 1TB on DVR+), plus I get a free 500GB drive from the Tivo I can thru in my desktop, so overall the pricing favors the Tivo.

Based on my research, the Tivo has slightly better tuners, and four of them (as opposed to two on DVR+), has built in wifi (costs $40 extra for DVR+) and hard drive enclosure (which costs extra $150 for DVR+ and not even sure if upgradable), and allows copying files thru network - albiet with more restrictions than DVR+, but DVR+ requires physically moving the USB drive to computer to get at those files which is an inconvenience. Plus this Tivo Mini allowing to play the same recordings from a second TV is a cool possibility. Also Tivo has built in Netflix/Prime (DVR+ doesn't) which we have subscriptions for already, and I need a better Netflix player as my old BD Player doesn't support subtitles or 5.1 for Netflix - I like the surround sound, and my wife wants the captions on - so end up using netflix from pc (which is hooked up to receiver/tv), which wife does not like having to do, as it's not as convenient. And we have no prime player besides the PC.

The main things favoring the DVR+ I can find is perhaps less missed recordings and some people prefer the UI, plus full access to the drive (but only via USB). There's vague mention by ChannelMaster of Amazon Prime possibly coming, but nothing concrete. The mention of a jailbreak/kodi coming soon is tempting, I'd imagine it would allow me to share the drive on the network, and although I've never used Kodi, I have used XBMC on an Xbox back in the day (which kodi is based upon) and was always very impressed. If that were already implemented it might make the decision harder for me, but since it's just two random posts by a random person in DVR+ owners thread, who knows if it'll ever happen or not. Plus I was chatting with my brother (who lives out of town so I haven't actually seen it) and he says he runs Kodi on a cheap Amazon Firestick, so if I really want that, could use it alongside DVR+ or Tivo - although built into the dvr would be more convenient for the wife.

Thoughts?
TIVO hands down........... call me left you number.

MickinCT
post #196 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Current pricing has the Roamio OTA on Amazon at $299 with lifetime subscription
That ship has sailed... and I'm guessing those (with one still on order) will find their order cancelled... which includes me. I did get a couple previously. One I noticed rattled when I lifted it out of the box. I then noticed one corner had been opened and they broke one of the mounting clips. I'm guessing they didn't remove the screw before attempting to take it apart. However they did a pretty good job of resealing the box.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 10-13-2015 at 12:04 PM.
post #197 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
That ship has sailed... and I'm guessing those (with one still on order) will find their order cancelled... which includes me. I did get a couple previously. One I noticed rattled when I lifted it out of the box. I then noticed one corner had been opened and they broke one of the mounting clips. I'm guessing they didn't remove the screw before attempting to take it apart. However they did a pretty good job to resealing the box.
How long have yours been on order?

It seemed to work for me, after reading your reply I submitted an order to see if it would go thru... seems okay although says 2-5 weeks for delivery. But alternatively they're less than $400 on ebay with the same offer (new in box lifetime subscription), which still works out cheaper than dvr+ when including a 3TB drive (and wifi adapter for DVR+). So I think pricing still favors Tivo even if Amazon cancels my order - do they really do that?
post #198 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM

I'm getting this... the listing is "goofed" to start with as it states Lifetime on the subscription model. I "told" them earlier and the Lifetime switched from 2 to 5 weeks to unavailable but they didn't fix the description although the header and line items are correct. I can't state what they will do... buy yes in the past they have cancelled orders. My guess is they goofed when stocked ran out and it should have never stated 2-5 weeks for delivery... we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	147
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	993297  

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |

Last edited by Charles R; 10-13-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #199 of 216 Old 10-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'm getting this... the listing is "goofed" to start with as it states Lifetime on the subscription model. I "told" them earlier and the Lifetime switched from 2 to 5 weeks to unavailable but they didn't fix the description although the header and line items are correct. I can't state what they will do... buy yes in the past they have cancelled orders. My guess is they goofed when stocked ran out and it should have never stated 2-5 weeks for delivery... we'll see.
I'm getting that screen you attached now if I try to buy another, but my order status still looks good from the one I ordered earlier (see attached). Maybe I got the last one offered, maybe someone returned it or something?

But what do you mean the listing is goofed? It better be lifetime subscription cuz that's why I bought it there.

update: you had me worried so I checked to confirm it was lifetime, even says so on tivo website so I think I'm okay. Also says it's currently offered.
https://support.tivo.com/SupportPort...n-Instructions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazontivo.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	993489  

Last edited by enigma9o7; 10-13-2015 at 03:34 PM.
post #200 of 216 Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM

And today Amazon is taking orders for it again.
post #201 of 216 Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
And today Amazon is taking orders for it again.
Yep - and just recently they separated the two items so they don't appear on the same screen. I ordered the $50 guy for the heck of it when it was still combined and called in to "verify" it does in fact include Lifetime. Their supervisor ensured me it does and sent an email stating such along with capturing an image of the page to place in my account.

I still think it's a "cluster..." although it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

post #202 of 216 Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM

There was a $50 offer? I never saw that one. Only the $299 or "Currently Unavailable" like your screenshot.
post #203 of 216 Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 PM

Mine was delivered today. Will be setting it up when I get some time.
post #204 of 216 Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
There was a $50 offer?
For a while they listed the $49.99 TiVo as "DVR Product Lifetime Included" Inside the box it didn't include the paperwork stating service was active (as the $300 guys do) and when I tried to add it to my account it wasn't already registered. So I called Amazon asking what was up... I had a screen image of the listing plus an email from the rep stating Lifetime was included from the day I ordered it...

I happened to get a very nice young lady and she spent considerable time resolving the issue. Even sending me a personal email so I could forward a copy of the listing to her. After a while she said she would dig further into how they could handle it and she or her supervisor would call me since she was off in a hour. At this point she was so nice about the situation I told her whatever they wished to do or not do is fine with me.

While I was waiting for her to call I opened the box and noticed it wasn't packed correctly and the power supply was open. I could tell the box had previously been opened and that's why I dug in. Previously I had ordered the $300 model and it arrived "used" as well. In this case the TiVo's top corner was open and one of the tabs were broken... rattling inside.

Bottom line she called back and stated they refunded the $250 to previous orders and I could keep or return the TiVo. Since I wasn't about to purchase Lifetime via TiVo she generated a return label and refunded the $49.99. Extremely impressed with how they handled it and very luck I happened to run across such a "caring" customer service rep.

post #205 of 216 Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Even now, it is a basic equation. DVR+ is cheaper but has fewer features. If the features that it lacks aren't important to you, go with the DVR+. If they are, go with TiVO. I have the DVR+. It was half what the TiVO would have cost me at the time and the extra tuners just didn't justify the price for me. We only have one TV, so no multi-TV option didn't matter. As the prices come closer together, that may change the math for you.
post #206 of 216 Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-s...121100312.html

With the TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB launching next week, I would anticipate some more comparisons here.
post #207 of 216 Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm wondering if Channel Master will lower the price of their 1TB DVR+. Right now it's $399, the same price as the new 1TB TiVo Roamio OTA. And the DVR+ has only 2 OTA tuners while the TiVo has 4! Neither DVR requires an ongoing service fee. The *only* reason I can imagine someone choosing the CM DVR+ over the TiVo at the same price is that they want to subscribe to Sling TV and have it on the same box as their OTA viewing. But when it comes to pure DVR functionality (and stability), the TiVo would seem to be superior based on the reviews I've read (as well as the many problems posted on this site by owners of the CM DVR+). If a friend were about to cut the cord and asked me for advice about an OTA DVR, I'd say:

A) If you're only interested in OTA DVR capabilities and aren't interested in streaming (or if you prefer to use a separate box or your smart TV apps for streaming), look at the TiVo Roamio OTA.

B) If you're interested in OTA DVR capabilities and plan to supplement that with streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and/or HBO Go, look at the TiVo Roamio OTA.

C) If you're interested in OTA DVR capabilities (but don't think you need more than 2 tuners) and plan to supplement that with Sling TV (and it's important to you to have both OTA and Sling TV on the same box), look at the CM DVR+.
post #208 of 216 Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tivo Bolt

Anyone here have any luck with the Tivo Bolt?
post #209 of 216 Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill136 View Post
Anyone here have any luck with the Tivo Bolt?
Opps. Wrong thread.
post #210 of 216 Old 04-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-s...121100312.html

With the TiVo Roamio OTA 1TB launching next week, I would anticipate some more comparisons here.
I think it was summed up pretty nicely in the post above yours. A DVR+ with a 1TB external HDD will cost you about $300 -- add a little more if you want wireless. A TiVo OTA/1TB will cost you $400.

If you don't care about all the additional features and capability provided by the TiVo OTA or they are not worth the extra $100 to you then go with the DVR+. Where I think people will make a mistake is they either don't fully vet all the TiVo features to see what they would be getting for that extra $100 or they decide they don't want those features in the near-term only to find they want them after they've committed $300 to the DVR+. Lot's of people posting on the DVR+ thread, wishing CM would give them TiVo features with an update. CM has been pretty deaf to any of this.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page