1Likes
  • 1 Post By JHBrandt

post #1 of 17 Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ViewTV AT-163

I finally got the ViewTV AT-163 today. My first impression is good! I made 2 test recordings, which appeared to work fine. Fast forwarding is smooth, making it easy to know precisely when commercials end. The unit turns on & off at the scheduled times, which is good when you're not at home, so electricity isn't wasted. As others have said, it's reminicent of a vcr. I like that you can schedule a recording with a couple of extra minutes if needed, so the beginning or end of a show isn't missed. The menu is simple, & the remote is nicely designed. My usb thumb drive was readily detected as well. One minor caution, though.... When you schedule a recording, the settings dialogue defaults to the 1st channel in your lineup rather than the channel you're currently tuned to, so be sure to select the channel you want to record from. I'm not fond of using military time, but that can't be changed, so it's something to get used to. Overall, this unit is pretty easy to use, with no hassle.... just the way I like it! For the price, I'd say it's worth a try for anyone looking for a dvr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Interesting, so it sounds like it cuts power to the USB socket when not on? Thats nice and how my early generation iView works, later ones left the USB power ON all the time and required you to use a USB HDD that would spin down after a certain amount of time of no recording if you wanted the HDD to not spin constantly.
Keep us posted on how well it works, my iView has a bad habit of missing the occasional event, haven't really been able to figure out why but it happens and I'm sure I've programmed things right. My iView also defaults to the first channel when setting up a schedule, that and it defaults to "view" or something to that effect where the iView turns ON at a selected time but doesn't actually record. I have to make sure to always change that line to RECORD when setting up an event as I always want it to record when I setup a schedule, IMO view is kind of a worthless option and is only a chance to miss a recording.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, the usb appears to be off when the unit is off. Or at least the light on my thumb drive is off, suggesting no power is being supplied to it.... I should also mention the ability to add a single channel is a definite plus, especially if you have weaker signals where you live, like me. I can simply adjust my antenna to get the best signal, then add the channel to my lineup. Because getting a good signal on every channel at the same time, just doesn't happen for me Good luck with your Iview, I hope mine doesn't lose recordings but that remains to be seen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Interesting, so it sounds like it cuts power to the USB socket when not on? Thats nice and how my early generation iView works, later ones left the USB power ON all the time and required you to use a USB HDD that would spin down after a certain amount of time of no recording if you wanted the HDD to not spin constantly.
Keep us posted on how well it works, my iView has a bad habit of missing the occasional event, haven't really been able to figure out why but it happens and I'm sure I've programmed things right. My iView also defaults to the first channel when setting up a schedule, that and it defaults to "view" or something to that effect where the iView turns ON at a selected time but doesn't actually record. I have to make sure to always change that line to RECORD when setting up an event as I always want it to record when I setup a schedule, IMO view is kind of a worthless option and is only a chance to miss a recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasafrass452 View Post
I finally got the ViewTV AT-163 today. My first impression is good! I made 2 test recordings, which appeared to work fine. Fast forwarding is smooth, making it easy to know precisely when commercials end. The unit turns on & off at the scheduled times, which is good when you're not at home, so electricity isn't wasted. As others have said, it's reminicent of a vcr. I like that you can schedule a recording with a couple of extra minutes if needed, so the beginning or end of a show isn't missed. The menu is simple, & the remote is nicely designed. My usb thumb drive was readily detected as well. One minor caution, though.... When you schedule a recording, the settings dialogue defaults to the 1st channel in your lineup rather than the channel you're currently tuned to, so be sure to select the channel you want to record from. I'm not fond of using military time, but that can't be changed, so it's something to get used to. Overall, this unit is pretty easy to use, with no hassle.... just the way I like it! For the price, I'd say it's worth a try for anyone looking for a dvr
Sorry to necro this old topic but I just bought one of these ViewTV AT-163 DTA converter boxes recently to use with a Samsung "23 monitor that has an HDMI input (or on the HDMI inputs on my A/V receiver then out to the monitor). But I get the "Not Optimum Mode, Recommended Mode 1920X1080 60HZ, HDMI" floating box error when I select the HDMI input on the monitor out from the converter box. Shouldn't this setup work fine with ViewTV AT-163? Why am I getting this error? Do I need an HDTV (which I don't have right now) and not a monitor to get the AT-163 to function?
post #5 of 17 Old 10-29-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Weird - I just replied to your other thread, then the whole thread disappeared! Hopefully that won't happen this time.

Anyway, you need to change the resolution on your AT-163 (not your monitor). I don't own an AT-163 but they're very similar to the iView and HomeWorX boxes, so these instructions for the iView should work for your AT-163 as well:

Press Menu on the remote, then cursor right to the Picture menu, then down to the Resolution setting. Now cursor right (each time you do this, the screen will go blank for a few seconds - don't panic) to the 1080p(60Hz) setting. That should be the correct setting for your Samsung monitor. You can then exit the menu and the "not optimum" box should not appear.

I'm assuming you can see the AT-163 menus, despite the "not optimum" box. If not, hook the AT-163 up to a TV temporarily, follow the above instructions, then hook it back up to the Samsung and it should work.
Joseph Pappsmon likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Weird - I just replied to your other thread, then the whole thread disappeared! Hopefully that won't happen this time.

Anyway, you need to change the resolution on your AT-163 (not your monitor). I don't own an AT-163 but they're very similar to the iView and HomeWorX boxes, so these instructions for the iView should work for your AT-163 as well:

Press Menu on the remote, then cursor right to the Picture menu, then down to the Resolution setting. Now cursor right (each time you do this, the screen will go blank for a few seconds - don't panic) to the 1080p(60Hz) setting. That should be the correct setting for your Samsung monitor. You can then exit the menu and the "not optimum" box should not appear.

I'm assuming you can see the AT-163 menus, despite the "not optimum" box. If not, hook the AT-163 up to a TV temporarily, follow the above instructions, then hook it back up to the Samsung and it should work.
Unfortunately, I only see that floating error box on an otherwise blank screen and no AT-163 setup menu on my Samsung monitor. However, I do have access to an HDTV that belongs to my landlord downstairs and I will try your solution tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you know how I made out
post #7 of 17 Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn't actually need to be an HDTV; any TV will work as long as you can see the menu.

If you aren't using high definition, the screen won't blank or change noticeably when you change the resolution. The box's SD outputs are always 480i; the resolution setting only affects the HD output.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The HDMI button on the remote will allow you to adjust resolution without seeing the menu. It works the same way the HDMI button does on the Mediasonic. Each press of the HDMI button cycles one step through the various video output resolution modes. You wouldn't need to see the menus ... just keep pressing until you get one that works.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-30-2017, 09:20 AM

Update: got it working using JHBrandt's solution. I only get 7 channels with my indoor antenna (and only one of those in 1080p), but I got it working That's a useful tip, eherberg. Thanks.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I forgot about the HDMI button; sorry.

That button's a good thing to keep in mind in case the resolution ever gets changed somehow. My iView has been known to change some settings randomly (although to be fair, that may be related to my propensity to experiment with firmware updates)

Current OTA broadcasts are all either 1080i or 720p (or 480i - SD), but your AT-163 will up-convert them all to 1080p, which will keep your monitor happy no matter what you watch.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-22-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AT-163 owners should be aware that ViewTV has released firmware version V4 for your boxes. You can download it at http://www.viewtvbox.com/firmware.html

Make sure to read the instructions at the page to ensure your AT-163 is compatible before installing the firmware update.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
ViewTV AT-263

I am posting here as the boxes are pretty similar instead of creating another thread...

This box worked fine and then we replaced the AVR and the projector and immediately started getting a rolling picture like you would get with older analogue TVs (bottom to top rolling). No HDMI snow, no pixelation, just a rolling picture. Then after a bit of this the projector does a hard shutdown with no error messages. Connected to this new AVR is the same AppleTV and BD player and they work just fine; no issues at all. Sony support says the signal from the AT-263 must be very out of spec and that is forcing the projector to shutdown with the ViewTV signal The AVR only has HDMI in so I can't try component or composite. Any ideas? Thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First, try different HDMI cables if possible. Probably isn't the problem, but sometimes it is, and if so it's a pretty simple fix.

Second, can you run HDMI to the AVR but run component (just the three video cables, not L/R audio) directly from the ViewTV to the projector? If you can't do that, try running HDMI directly to the projector, leaving the AVR out of the loop just to see if it works. If it does, an HDMI splitter would probably fix the problem.

Is the projector 4K / UHD? 4K displays may not support the older HDMI spec used by ViewTV boxes.

Make sure you have the latest firmware. The link above, http://www.viewtvbox.com/firmware.html, works for the AT-263 as well as the AT-163; just scroll down. Make sure to read their instructions first, so you don't try to update an incompatible box!

Finally, try setting the ViewTV to 1080p. (If necessary, leave the AVR out of the loop so you can work the menus without getting vertigo; then put the AVR back in and see if it still works.)
post #14 of 17 Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First, try different HDMI cables if possible. Probably isn't the problem, but sometimes it is, and if so it's a pretty simple fix.

Second, can you run HDMI to the AVR but run component (just the three video cables, not L/R audio) directly from the ViewTV to the projector? If you can't do that, try running HDMI directly to the projector, leaving the AVR out of the loop just to see if it works. If it does, an HDMI splitter would probably fix the problem.

Is the projector 4K / UHD? 4K displays may not support the older HDMI spec used by ViewTV boxes.

Make sure you have the latest firmware. The link above, http://www.viewtvbox.com/firmware.html, works for the AT-263 as well as the AT-163; just scroll down. Make sure to read their instructions first, so you don't try to update an incompatible box!

Finally, try setting the ViewTV to 1080p. (If necessary, leave the AVR out of the loop so you can work the menus without getting vertigo; then put the AVR back in and see if it still works.)
Thanks for your suggestions. We did try a different HDMI cable from the ViewTV to the AVR; no luck. We did try direct connecting the ViewTV to the projector; no luck. We did look at component but the AVR only had HDMI in so we couldn't try that. We looked at updating the f/w but since we couldn't get an image and menu before the projector shutdown we couldn't see if the posted f/w was more current or not. The projector is 4k but not true UHD. Works fine with the 4K AVR and 1080P BD player; also no issues with a 4k player. Tried talking to ViewTV support and they didn't know.

We saw that some of the competitive products were just re-badges; one of which we tried and it didn't work either. So we gave up, bought and installed the equivalent Channel Master yesterday and it worked out the chute. Problem solved; thank-you Amazon; maybe Sony was right after all.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
We did look at component but the AVR only had HDMI in so we couldn't try that.
Ignore the AVR for the moment. What I was wondering was, can you run component directly from the ViewTV to the projector and if so, will it work? If so, you could still run HDMI to the AVR. You don't have to run HDMI from the AVR to the projector; you just need digital audio (via HDMI) to the AVR and video (whatever works) to the projector.

There are a lot of clones of the ViewTV out there: HomeWorX, iView, etc. Even CM used to sell one (the CM-7003) but no longer. It wouldn't surprise me if they all have similar problems with your setup, so you did the right thing by switching to a different product type.

Curious: what CM product did you end up buying? The Stream+? The CM-7004? A used DVR+?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ignore the AVR for the moment. What I was wondering was, can you run component directly from the ViewTV to the projector and if so, will it work? If so, you could still run HDMI to the AVR. You don't have to run HDMI from the AVR to the projector; you just need digital audio (via HDMI) to the AVR and video (whatever works) to the projector.

There are a lot of clones of the ViewTV out there: HomeWorX, iView, etc. Even CM used to sell one (the CM-7003) but no longer. It wouldn't surprise me if they all have similar problems with your setup, so you did the right thing by switching to a different product type.

Curious: what CM product did you end up buying? The Stream+? The CM-7004? A used DVR+?
Sorry no. We couldn't run component direct to the projector; no ability to do that kind of cabling and the projector is HDMI only. CM-7004. Thanks again.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Too bad about no component. Unless you can get a picture going straight to the projector with HDMI, I guess you're SOL with the ViewTV.

But at least your CM-7004 works. I have one too. It's a nice tuner, with a nicer UI than the ViewTV, although I never could get it to record well enough to use that function.

There's a thread for the CM-7004: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/186-c...-new-post.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page