DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+ - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you move DVR+ recordings to a computer (multiple choices allowed)
Yes, Windows 45 48.39%
Yes, Linux 11 11.83%
Yes, Mac 5 5.38%
Yes, Other OS 1 1.08%
No 35 37.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #511 of 548 Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would sent the TS files and a log to a developer of the software.
Well, I've now sent the log and an offer to send files. At first the server rejected my attempt because I wasn't a member of their forum, but I joined, and the second attempt has not been rejected yet. I'm not really keen on spending time to create smallish files for them if they're not responsive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 548 Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bderoes View Post
I did get a nice dvd of a 4:3 b/w broadcast with chapter stops every 10 min.
Yeah, stops every 10 min. is DVD Styler's default, which may be fine for you. If not, you can manually edit a title to put the stops where you want them.
Quote:
When I try to just copy the audio, the conversion fails from some error message along the way, so I don't even know if that's how to do it.
Not sure what's going on there - I've always been able to just copy PBS audio without problems, even if I couldn't copy the video because of having to rescale it down to 480p. But subtitles aren't part of the audio stream anyway, so it sounds like two unrelated problems.
Quote:
The whole reason I started this was to preserve opera broadcasts from PBS which are not later streamable for free.... I don't expect to be able to find subtitle files for this kind of file.
OT, but thanks for pointing that out! Way too many "kids" these days (by which I mean full-grown adults, many of whom happen to be younger than me, but I think that's just because I'm old, so most folks are "kids" to me) don't seem to appreciate the value of DVRs. They think they can - and should - get everything via streaming, and not bother with the "hassle" of telling a DVR to record something ahead of time! Of course it usually turns out that they have to pay extra to stream what they could have recorded for free.
Quote:
If you have a suggestion, perhaps an ffmpeg parameter to retain the subtitles already in the file (and yes, I checked that VLC finds and displays them on the .ts file), I'd be willing to try again.
Google says to try this:
Quote:
With ffmpeg add "-c:s copy" (for recent syntax, or "-scodec copy" for old syntax) to copy the subtitle stream.
Sounds like it's worth a try, at least.
post #513 of 548 Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Close but, so far, no cigar. I can't get DVDStyler to preserve the subtitles. I did get a nice dvd of a 4:3 b/w broadcast with chapter stops every 10 min. But the subtitles are gone.

Tonight I find that CCExtractor does NOT find closed captions in DVR+ TS files that were simply copied to my computer. However, if I convert those same recordings via DVR+ Lister's Convert Video window using ffmpeg with the parameters shown in the image below, CCExtractor will output an SRT file from the converted video. With those parameters, we think that the only thing that ffmpeg does is add the missing PAT/PMT data, so maybe that's whats causing your problems with closed captions.

Edit 1:
I went to document this in the DVR+Explorer Help file, and found that I did so long ago in DVR+ Lister in the Q&A page for "How do I extract Closed Captions (subtitles) from DVR+ TS recordings"!

Last edited by pachinko; 07-19-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added reference to the DVR+ Lister Help file on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 548 Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 AM

I want to thank everyone for their help! I don't have any questions today, just wanted to share my results.

Confession: I didn't work with the actual opera file until today, and noticed that the subtitles are actually part of the video, not optional. So I didn't need to worry about separate subtitles. But the good news: if I need that in the future, I've recorded in my notes where to come.

It turns out the opera file was significantly smaller than I expected. 16:9, color, 3.5 hours, but only 2.3GB. So, as I suspected by the video quality while I watched, this must have been an SD broadcast (and it was on a substation, not the primary). But because of the high error rate, and DVDStyler quitting because of it, I could not use the Copy options. Instead I asked it to generate NTSC from NTSC, and generate AC3 from AC3. The result is very nice. I definitely see black stripes in the video from time to time (rapid movement/change of scene), but given that I have an almost free copy of the opera now, I'm thrilled.

Oddly, it had 3 stereo tracks on the .ts file, and when I looked at the recording on the DVR+, it showed 3 as well. I don't have a fancy audio setup; if they were supposed to be left/right/surround, I wouldn't hear it, so I omitted them from the dvd. More room for video.

It took many many hours to generate the iso file. I almost terminated it more than once, but it was still making entries in its log, so I let it run. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I have confidence that it's all there (sampled the iso file in VLC before burning the disc.)

The next broadcast is early August, so hopefully I took enough notes to sail through that burn.

Thank you again!
pachinko likes this.
post #515 of 548 Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Hi folks. I have a question:

A recent recording is too long; the program guide incorrectly listed the program as 3.5 hours, but it only lasts 3 hours.

Any suggestions for how best to crop off that last half hour?

I'm using DVD Styler to convert my .ts files into a .iso file, so I can burn it to a disc. I couldn't see anything within Styler that gave that option. I tried Avidemux2.7, but it doesn't output the cropped file as .ts, and somehow I managed to change the aspect ratio in the process (I used the default .mkv).

2nd question: is it just me, or has VLC player stopped playing the .ts files from DVR+? It shows the filename in the top line of the window for a while, and displays NO message, not even when I open the app's Message window. It plays .mp4, .mkv and .iso files just fine.

Thanks in advance!
post #516 of 548 Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
You could try VideoReDo program to cut unwanted parts
post #517 of 548 Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
You could try VideoReDo program to cut unwanted parts
Thanks, P.
I downloaded the free trial of "Plus" (not the other possibility), and apparently they have it rigged to just be a trial. I cropped the unwanted chunks, and saved the result, but it only output the first 15 minutes of my shorter (now 3h) file. And I don't want to spend $50 for the privilege, since I don't intend to use the feature a lot.

The good news is the aspect ratio change was my being unobservant about the setting in Styler, so now I'll keep my fingers crossed that the 2-step conversion doesn't lose too much image quality.

Unless someone has another suggestion...
post #518 of 548 Old 02-11-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A recent recording is too long; the program guide incorrectly listed the program as 3.5 hours, but it only lasts 3 hours. Any suggestions for how best to crop off that last half hour?

I tried Avidemux2.7, but it doesn't output the cropped file as .ts, and somehow I managed to change the aspect ratio in the process (I used the default .mkv).
I haven't upgraded to v2.7 yet, but AVIDemux 2.6.9 will output .ts. I've used for years to edit out ads and cut off unwanted junk at the start and end of recordings. Just set the "Output Format" to "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)". Also make sure "Video Output" and "Audio Output" are set to "Copy" so it won't try to transcode or downscale your recording (let DVD Styler do that if necessary).

BTW, DVD Styler should handle .mkv input files fine, so even if you can't get AVIDemux to output .ts format, you should still be OK.
post #519 of 548 Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I haven't upgraded to v2.7 yet, but AVIDemux 2.6.9 will output .ts. I've used for years to edit out ads and cut off unwanted junk at the start and end of recordings. Just set the "Output Format" to "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)". Also make sure "Video Output" and "Audio Output" are set to "Copy" so it won't try to transcode or downscale your recording (let DVD Styler do that if necessary).

BTW, DVD Styler should handle .mkv input files fine, so even if you can't get AVIDemux to output .ts format, you should still be OK.
Thanks JH.
Indeed, now that I have the right settings in Styler, the .mkv file worked well. I haven't viewed the result on a bigger screen yet, but it looks fine on 15.6".

In AviDemux2.7, they still have the option for Mpeg TS Muxer (ff), it just didn't register with me. I might try that too. But the .mkv file actually seems to have processed faster through Styler than the raw .ts file off the DVR+. Later I'm going to run an experiment to see if the AviDemux output would be beneficial for all files, not just when I want to crop.

Regarding VLC failing to load my .ts files from the Channel Master: my experiment with VideoReDo yielded an interesting result. The 15min .ts file loaded in VLC just fine. But my 2.5-3hour files do not. It can't be just a length thing, because the .iso files are much bigger. Maybe I'll make various length videos to see when VLC fails and try to report my results to them.

Thanks again!
post #520 of 548 Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But the .mkv file actually seems to have processed faster through Styler than the raw .ts file off the DVR+.
Now that I think about it, that makes sense. The .ts format includes some extra, redundant data which is appropriate for transmission through a noisy channel, but in a disk file it just takes up space. So other formats are usually a bit smaller and process a bit faster.
Quote:
Regarding VLC failing to load my .ts files from the Channel Master: my experiment with VideoReDo yielded an interesting result. The 15min .ts file loaded in VLC just fine. But my 2.5-3hour files do not.
Most video multiplexers will put a PAT and PMT packet at the beginning of a .ts file. The DVR+ doesn't, though. It could be that VLC expects these packets and won't play a .ts file that doesn't have them.
Quote:
It can't be just a length thing, because the .iso files are much bigger.
Keep in mind an .iso file isn't just another video format. It's more like a .zip file (except it's not compressed); it contains an entire directory structure to be written to a DVD.

DVD Styler has an option to output the raw directory structure it builds without converting it to an .iso file. It's interesting to look at. All the video for the DVD is concatenated into a series of .vob (video object) files, usually 1GB in length. The .vob format is essentially the same as the .mpg format and is a close cousin to the .ts format, but you have to know where each "program" starts and ends, so there are other files that do that, as well as files that build the menus, etc. The DVD format is pretty complicated.
post #521 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that I think about it, that makes sense. The .ts format includes some extra, redundant data which is appropriate for transmission through a noisy channel, but in a disk file it just takes up space.
Nope. You are talking about Reed-Solomon error correction … the part is stripped out before the TS will come out of sat/terr/cable tuner.
Sorry, no cigar
Quote:
Most video multiplexers will put a PAT and PMT packet at the beginning of a .ts file. The DVR+ doesn't, though. It could be that VLC expects these packets and won't play a .ts file that doesn't have them.
Absolutely correct !
post #522 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Well, AviDemux is definitely degrading the quality of the image. I've finally burned a dvd of the original, un-cropped file that did not pass through AviDemux, and it has the best quality of my attempts, far better than when AviDemux output either to .mkv or .ts files.

For .mkv, although that file had normal aspect ratio, somehow after DVDStyler was done, the horizontal width was reduced. Not all the way down to 4:3, but close. So that was unacceptable.

Then I tried the .ts output option from AviDemux, and the DVDStyler process was quick (less than 45min), and when I tried the dvd on the "big" screen (only 32"), it looked a bit blurry, and when it came to the ensemble ballet, it was definitely blurry.

My whole purpose for trying to cut off the extra half hour of irrelevant programming was to improve the quality of the dvd. AviDemux somehow sabotaged that.

I'll keep it around in case I really just want to watch a .ts file on my PC, but it's now banned from my dvd tools list.
post #523 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would say, the off-topic is wind up, will be better to find appropriate thread for it ...
post #524 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope. You are talking about Reed-Solomon error correction … the part is stripped out before the TS will come out of sat/terr/cable tuner.
Sorry, no cigar
I'm not talking about Reed-Solomon, or trellis coding, or anything else that baloons the 19.39 Mb/s payload up to the 32.28 Mb/s that's actually transmitted. I'm talking about much simpler things within that 19.39 Mb/s payload.

For example, .TS files use a small, fixed packet size (188 bytes), while .MPG, .MKV, etc. files use larger, variable packet sizes. The reason is, unlike a .MPG or .MKV, there's no fixed "beginning" of a transport stream; you can tune to a channel at any point in time, and the tuner just has to pick up wherever the stream happens to be at that point and make sense of it. (When a DVR writes a transport stream to disk, it just writes the relevant packets with little or no processing, so even though it's now a "disk" file, it still has the characteristics of a transmitted data stream.)

This means that packet headers and the like must be repeated more often in .TS files; and since they don't carry video data, they increase the file size and amount of processing required to build the video and audio streams.

Perhaps I should have referred to this data as "overhead" rather than "redundant" data. It's only "redundant" in the sense of being repeated over and over. I didn't intend to imply that I was thinking of data added for error correction.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #525 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried the .ts output option from AviDemux, and the DVDStyler process was quick (less than 45min), and when I tried the dvd on the "big" screen (only 32"), it looked a bit blurry, and when it came to the ensemble ballet, it was definitely blurry.
If it's taking anywhere near 45 minutes, it's transcoding and/or downscaling the video. Should take closer to 5 min. for a 3-hour video, even on a slow PC like mine.

The video and audio output settings must be somewhere. (On v2.6.9 they're on the left side of the main window.) Make sure they're both set to "Copy." All you're trying to get AVIDemux to do is, remove unwanted portions of the video, not make it bigger, smaller, deinterlace, convert to h.264, or anything else.
post #526 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
If it's taking anywhere near 45 minutes, it's transcoding and/or downscaling the video. Should take closer to 5 min. for a 3-hour video, even on a slow PC like mine.

The video and audio output settings must be somewhere. (On v2.6.9 they're on the left side of the main window.) Make sure they're both set to "Copy." All you're trying to get AVIDemux to do is, remove unwanted portions of the video, not make it bigger, smaller, deinterlace, convert to h.264, or anything else.
The "it" taking 45min is DVDStyler, not AviDemux, which took about 2min. And those left-panel settings are Copy by default, and I didn't change them. Nor are Configure or Filter lit up when Copy is selected.

I don't need to pursue this further; I'm satisfied with the result from DVDStyler alone by now. If you want to play with the file, suggest a place I can upload it (2.15Gb) for free.

Thanks again!
post #527 of 548 Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
redundant data which is appropriate for transmission through a noisy channel
you know, here is correct quote what is triggered my response. Two keywords: redundant data & noisy channel, what exactly targeting Reed-Solomon addition 16 bytes to each 188 bytes.
But, since you did your clarification, all what I could say is that overhead data is 4 bytes in each 188 bytes, eg 2%. I wouldn't say it's so significant, but for completeness - yes, it is exist.
post #528 of 548 Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The "it" taking 45min is DVDStyler, not AviDemux, which took about 2min.
OK that makes sense. DVDStyler does need to downscale HD videos to 480i or 480p, which slows it down.

BTW, if you're writing SD video to DVD, you can tell DVDStyler to "copy" too, as long as it will fit (you said your file was about 2GB, so it should); that will speed DVDStyler up and avoid any loss of quality from transcoding.
post #529 of 548 Old 02-15-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you know, here is correct quote what is triggered my response. Two keywords: redundant data & noisy channel, what exactly targeting Reed-Solomon addition 16 bytes to each 188 bytes.
But, since you did your clarification, all what I could say is that overhead data is 4 bytes in each 188 bytes, eg 2%. I wouldn't say it's so significant, but for completeness - yes, it is exist.
OK, I see where I misled you. To be even clearer, shorter packets make sense for "noisy channels" because they let error correction work more efficiently. If the packets were, say, 1KB, either error correction would fail more often, or the R-S codes would need to be disproportionately longer.

The downside is, short packets increase redundant packet overhead, both in terms of file size (from memory of remuxing .ts files to other container formats, 2% does sound about right; the file gets slightly but noticeably smaller) and processing time. So once the .ts file is on disk, it makes sense to me that it would take a bit longer to process than, say, a .mkv file containing identical A/V data remuxed into longer packets - a simple off-hand comment I now regret making because it led to this whole ridiculous digression into information theory and an already-too-long series of clarifications. (I will now cease following this thread, as I have spent too much time on this subject already, and have neither the inclination nor the time to waste playing what seem like "gotcha" games. Bye.)

Anyhow, during transmission, the increased packet overhead is compensated for by decreased error-correction overhead and reduced "damage" to the transport stream if a packet cannot be corrected successfully.
post #530 of 548 Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should not regret … I found the short discussion entertained for myself.

[Just FYI, packet's header (4 bytes) doesn't have error-correction info, it's contain PID number and a few flags].

Last edited by P Smith; 02-15-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #531 of 548 Old 02-16-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked: 2003
I have tried multiple times to combine the zip files to no success. Does anyone have a workaround?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #532 of 548 Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I have tried multiple times to combine the zip files to no success. Does anyone have a workaround?
1. Which version of DVR+ Lister? Provide link to that download post.

2. Which extractor program and version number?

3. Did you remove the .zip extension on files z01 thru z04 before attempting the extraction? This is usually the problem.
Ericglo likes this.
post #533 of 548 Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
1. Which version of DVR+ Lister? Provide link to that download post.

2. Which extractor program and version number?

3. Did you remove the .zip extension on files z01 thru z04 before attempting the extraction? This is usually the problem.
The one from post 438 and linked from the original post.

7zip

No, I guess I missed that. Not sure how to remove the .zip off the back end.

post #534 of 548 Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The one from post 438 and linked from the original post.

7zip

No, I guess I missed that. Not sure how to remove the .zip off the back end.

It sounds like you have the File Name Extensions turned OFF in Windows. Turn them on and you be able to remove the .zip from the filename in the usual file renaming manner.
Ericglo likes this.
post #535 of 548 Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 AM

Thanks and did I mention I hate windows.
pachinko likes this.

post #536 of 548 Old 02-17-2019, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Thanks and did I mention I hate windows.
Is that imply you are living in underground bunker ?!
post #537 of 548 Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Thanks, I got it working.

And big thanks for the program.

Quote:
Is that imply you are living in underground bunker ?!
Not yet, but maybe soon.

Ironically, I did make $3k off of Microsoft stock last month.
pachinko likes this.

post #538 of 548 Old 06-23-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is Ext2Fsd gone?

A few days ago I noticed that the Ext2Fsd web site was down. It remains down today! For those unaware, DVR+ Lister requires drive letters, and Windows needs a 3rd party utility to provide drive letters on a DVR+ HDD because those disks are formatted for a Linux EXT file system.

While the Ext2Fsd web site is down, or if it is permanently closed, all Ext2Fsd versions can be downloaded from SourceForge .

The only version of Ext2Fsd that I recommend is 0.64.

While researching Ext2Fsd being down, I noticed the following, similar, utilities residing on SourceFourge. I cannot recommend, nor do I know if any are compatible with DVR+Lister.

ext4tc: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext4tc/
A file system plug-in for Total Commander. With this plug-in it is possible to browse partitions with ext2, ext3 and ext4 file system.

Ex2Read: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/
Ext2Read is an explorer like utility to explore ext2/ext3/ext4 files. It now supports LVM2 and EXT4 extents. It can be used to view and copy files and folders. It can recursively copy entire folders. It can also be used to view and copy disk and file.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #539 of 548 Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Question Edit Episode Data on EHD?

Is there a way to edit a data file, or something, and force the DVR+ to reorder episodes of a show, or alter an episode's description, that sort of thing? I'm currently using a Linux system. Thanks!

Joe

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #540 of 548 Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seems to me it's possible (practically you can change anything - for PAL DVR I did a procedure/script for add movies from DVD files), but for episodes' flags... it would require change tables in NVRAM. Eg need to find EJTAG or DEBUG port to access EEPROM chip.
I could try to help you from EE standpoint, but I have only European "DVR+" eg HDT-610R, what have not the same HW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page