DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+ - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you move DVR+ recordings to a computer (multiple choices allowed)
Yes, Windows 45 48.39%
Yes, Linux 11 11.83%
Yes, Mac 5 5.38%
Yes, Other OS 1 1.08%
No 35 37.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #31 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2947 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
You might try running ffmpeg manually on one of the files that won't convert. It's a bit of a pain, but you can see exactly what ffmpeg is complaining about that way.

Use DVR+ Lister to identify the name of one of the files that won't convert on the DVR+ disk (it will be STRMxxxx.TS). Then run CMD.EXE, type CD FFMPEG, then FFMPEG -i x:STRMxxxx.TS -map:0 -c:a copy -c:v copy OUTPUT.TS and let 'er rip. (Replace the x's with the appropriate drive letter and values, of course.) FFMPEG will report its progress and if it craps out, you'll see the errors in the CMD.EXE window. You can post a screen-shot back here if it isn't clear what the error message means.

I have seen cases where ffmpeg will fail like this if a file is severely corrupted. That happens more often if you have a poor signal and are getting a lot of pixelation, but it can (rarely) happen even with a good signal. If that's the case you might try eliminating the -c:v copy -c:a copy parameters, forcing ffmpeg to decode and re-encode the audio and video. Warning: this will take a lot longer and will probably produce a much larger file; but it's more likely to finish and produce a playable (albeit with pixelation at the point of corruption) .ts file.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 555
ffmpeg supports the parameter -report. It will "Dump full command line and console output to a file named ffmpeg-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.log in the current directory. This file can be useful for bug reports. It also implies -loglevel verbose".

You can try the -report parameter in DVR+ Lister by adding that parameter to the "Params before Input File" as shown in the attached screen shot of the Convert Video window. Look for the report file in the same folder as DVR+ Lister. The error should appear at the bottom of the file. It's a plain text file, so open with any text editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ffmpeg -report parameter.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	976809  
JHBrandt likes this.
post #33 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post
...Maybe there is an invalid character in the title of the DVR+ name?
The actual DVR+ Filename is something like "Strm0001.ts", so that shouldn't be the problem. FYI, character case is very important since the DVR+ USB HDD is formatted for Linux, and ext2fsd is used to recognize the drive.

The filename that DVR+ Lister assigns to the copy or converted file might be an issue, but not for Windows. I was able to make a text file in Windows 8.1 using the filenames you provided in your attachments. I wouldn't think that would not be a problem for the network either, but again, I know little about a network.

So that leaves ffmpeg? We should find out when you capture the ffmpeg output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
ffmpeg supports the parameter -report. It will "Dump full command line and console output to a file named ffmpeg-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.log in the current directory. This file can be useful for bug reports. It also implies -loglevel verbose".

You can try the -report parameter in DVR+ Lister by adding that parameter to the "Params before Input File" as shown in the attached screen shot of the Convert Video window. Look for the report file in the same folder as DVR+ Lister. The error should appear at the bottom of the file. It's a plain text file, so open with any text editor.
Attached are the 3 output file from the -report parm I added. just says cannot map stream to output file.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: txt ffmpeg-20151004-231516.txt (7.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg-20151004-231232.txt (8.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg-20151004-231239.txt (7.9 KB, 55 views)
post #35 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 525
" Stream #0:1[0x31], 80, 1/90000: Unknown: none" - seems to me it's broken TS file; I don't see any video PID in the log or perhaps ffmpeg didn't scan whole TS file for discover it.
Can you try make same log from same program [Saturday Night Live] but different day?
post #36 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

" Stream #0:1[0x31], 80, 1/90000: Unknown: none" - seems to me it's broken TS file; I don't see any video PID in the log or perhaps ffmpeg didn't scan whole TS file for discover it.
Can you try make same log from same program [Saturday Night Live] but different day?
post #37 of 552 Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Attached are the 3 output file from the -report parm I added. just says cannot map stream to output file.

Thanks,
After the line you mentioned, it suggests using other parameters. Their definitions follow (copied from https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html):
-ignore_unknown Ignore input streams with unknown type instead of failing if copying such streams is attempted.
-copy_unknown Allow input streams with unknown type to be copied instead of failing if copying such streams is attempted.

Edit: I tried both, but they both caused ffmpeg to error. Likely I'm using them wrong.
I was using them right after all! The problem was the version of ffmpeg that I was using, which did not support them. I just download and installed v2.8, and now those parameters don't cause an error. I just placed them before the -i parameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
The three report attachments are for different days for SNL (see the output file name assigned by DVR+ Lister).

Last edited by pachinko; 10-04-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added note to use version 2.8 for the parameters that were not working
post #38 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Those are three different SNL episodes on different days.
post #39 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You might try running ffmpeg manually on one of the files that won't convert. It's a bit of a pain, but you can see exactly what ffmpeg is complaining about that way.

Use DVR+ Lister to identify the name of one of the files that won't convert on the DVR+ disk (it will be STRMxxxx.TS). Then run CMD.EXE, type CD FFMPEG, then FFMPEG -i x:STRMxxxx.TS -map:0 -c:a copy -c:v copy OUTPUT.TS and let 'er rip. (Replace the x's with the appropriate drive letter and values, of course.) FFMPEG will report its progress and if it craps out, you'll see the errors in the CMD.EXE window. You can post a screen-shot back here if it isn't clear what the error message means.

I have seen cases where ffmpeg will fail like this if a file is severely corrupted. That happens more often if you have a poor signal and are getting a lot of pixelation, but it can (rarely) happen even with a good signal. If that's the case you might try eliminating the -c:v copy -c:a copy parameters, forcing ffmpeg to decode and re-encode the audio and video. Warning: this will take a lot longer and will probably produce a much larger file; but it's more likely to finish and produce a playable (albeit with pixelation at the point of corruption) .ts file.

When I play the recordings on the DVR+ they are pristine with no dropout whatsoever.
post #40 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, could you check the recordings on your DVR and post ffmpeg logs ? What PIDs your program does show, not ffmpeg ?
I'm a little confused. The 3 ffmpeg logs are attached to Zonker007's post (#34) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post37804897. Or do you mean that you would like to see the parsed data that I can extract from the 3 DVR+ log files for those recordings, and post that data? I suspect that's what you mean. I'll have to ask for those files. If I get them I'll email you the output.

Quote:
BTW, it would be another call to make your own PAT/PMT packet and avoid using ffmpeg
I have data, but I'm not making any sense of it. Maybe something wrong with the file structure I'm using? I'm getting it together (slowly due to other commitments), but the hard part is formulating the questions I'm having.
post #41 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That was my short reply what confused you.

I mean - do record the show(s) on your DVR, run same process and get similar logs. I would like to see what ffmpeg will produce on your PC. Also, what PIDs info from your recordings would be in DVR's files on you side ?
post #42 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those are three different SNL episodes on different days.
Well, not exactly broken for the DVR, but for ffmpeg; perhaps it can not find necessary data in that top part of TS file, may be it should be forced to scan whole file for that - is there any ffmepg's parameter do this ?
post #43 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was my short reply what confused you.

I mean - do record the show(s) on your DVR, run same process and get similar logs. I would like to see what ffmpeg will produce on your PC. Also, what PIDs info from your recordings would be in DVR's files on you side ?
Oh! Yes, I can do that! The next airing is Sat, Oct. 10, and then the 17th, so results will take a while!
post #44 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any chance to dig it in your old recordings ?
post #45 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, not exactly broken for the DVR, but for ffmpeg; perhaps it can not find necessary data in that top part of TS file, may be it should be forced to scan whole file for that - is there any ffmepg's parameter do this ?
In post 31, JHBrandt suggested to "try eliminating the -c:v copy and -c:a copy parameters, forcing ffmpeg to decode and re-encode the audio and video, but Zonker007 hasn't responded to that, and I haven't heard if the -ignore_unknown and -copy_unknown parameters were tried.

Quote:
Any chance to dig it in your old recordings ?
No, I've never recorded that show.
post #46 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Oh! Yes, I can do that! The next airing is Sat, Oct. 10, and then the 17th, so results will take a while!

Realize I had many SNL recordings (maybe 15 in total), I was able to convert all of them except for these 3. So whatever is going on is not predictable. Again all recorded and play back fine on the DVR+

Thanks,
pachinko likes this.
post #47 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Realize I had many SNL recordings (maybe 15 in total), I was able to convert all of them except for these 3. So whatever is going on is not predictable. Again all recorded and play back fine on the DVR+
Good to know!

1. Do you require that the recordings are passed through a converter, or can you just copy them to the computer and use them as is?

2. Have you tried the HandBrake converter (of course, that would mean you have it installed already)? As with ffmpeg, I truly don't know what parameters to use, but DVR+ Lister comes with one set of options that can be tried. Just click the HandBrakeCLI radio button.
post #48 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@pachinko , if Zonker would send to you REI file, we could build that PMT/PAT packet, then he will copy it with TS file to see how VLC would play it...
I'll PM you!
post #49 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just saw this posted on the DVR+ forum; sorry:
Quote:
As it turns out, this is an issue between three DVR+ recordings and ffmpeg. ffmpeg reports the following:
Cannot map stream #0:1 - unsupported type.
If you want unsupported types ignored instead of failing, please use the -ignore_unknown option
If you want them copied, please use -copy_unknown
If anyone with ffmpeg knowledge on this subject would like to assist, please comment on the DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+ thread!
"Stream #0:1" is Linux jargon for the second data stream in the first input file. Having only nine fingers, Linux programmers prefer to start counting at zero instead of one.

I have no more idea what kind of data stream #0:1 contains than ffmpeg did, but I'd go ahead and try one of the suggested options. -ignore-unknown will drop the unknown stream resulting in a smaller output file, but that's probably fine. As long as the audio and video streams are copied, VLC player should play the result fine.

If -ignore-unknown results in a file with no audio or video, you can try -copy-unknown. If ffmpeg didn't recognize the stream, VLC Player probably won't either, but it's worth a shot.
pachinko likes this.
post #50 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know!

1. Do you require that the recordings are passed through a converter, or can you just copy them to the computer and use them as is?
IIRC we started this discussion because VLC Player would not play the .ts files as copied from the DVR+.

Handbrake would probably work if Zonker007 installed it, and it would produce a much smaller file; but Handbrake takes a long time on HD recordings.
post #51 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes: -probesize integer (input)

Set probing size in bytes, i.e. the size of the data to analyze to get stream information. A higher value will enable detecting more information in case it is dispersed into the stream, but will increase latency. Must be an integer not lesser than 32. It is 5000000 by default.
post #52 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just saw this posted on the DVR+ forum; sorry:
Thanks, no worries! Heck, this is a forum where things don't always happen right away!

Quote:
"Stream #0:1" is Linux jargon for the second data stream in the first input file. Having only nine fingers, Linux programmers prefer to start counting at zero instead of one.

I have no more idea what kind of data stream #0:1 contains than ffmpeg did, but I'd go ahead and try one of the suggested options. -ignore-unknown will drop the unknown stream resulting in a smaller output file, but that's probably fine. As long as the audio and video streams are copied, VLC player should play the result fine.

If -ignore-unknown results in a file with no audio or video, you can try -copy-unknown. If ffmpeg didn't recognize the stream, VLC Player probably won't either, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks! About a dozen lines above where ffmpeg reports "Cannot map stream #0:1 - unsupported type", it shows that it found Audio Stream #0:0 and #0:2. The following quote came from the report:
Quote:
Input #0, mpegts, from 'H:\Strm0083.ts':
Duration: 01:32:57.00, start: 46041.903278, bitrate: 13918 kb/s
Stream #0:0[0x35], 85, 1/90000: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:1[0x31], 86, 1/90000: Unknown: none
Stream #0:2[0x34], 80, 1/90000: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
Successfully opened the file.
As such, I would think that the -ignore-unknown parameter might do the trick, but I don't think that Zonker007 has gotten around to trying that yet.

Last edited by pachinko; 10-05-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: fixed typo
post #53 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the above, it looks like stream #0:1 is the video [0x31], so probably best not to ignore it!

You could use -copy-unknown, or possibly -probesize 100M would enable ffmpeg to recognize it as video.

Edit: If using -probesize 100M, I'd put it in front of of the -i in the input parameters, so ffmpeg will know to use it before opening the input file.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-05-2015 at 08:14 PM.
post #54 of 552 Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the above, it looks like stream #0:1 is the video [0x31], so probably best not to ignore it!

You could use -copy-unknown, or possibly -probesize 100M would enable ffmpeg to recognize it as video.

Edit: If using -probesize 100M, I'd put it in front of of the -i in the input parameters, so ffmpeg will know to use it before opening the input file.
100 MB ?
When I wrote such analysis for TS files from TR-50, I found one cluster [2 MB] is not enough sometimes, so I increased it to 2 clusters and got 100% discovery of all PIDs. Perhaps engineers of the station did increase GOP beyond of imagination ffmpeg's creator.

So the parameter is the first one to check by Zonker !

PS. All cmd-line parameters processing during start by any program, so the order is irrelevant.
post #55 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Zonker007 ,

I don’t see –probesize in the ffmpeg on-line doc (https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html), but ffmpeg didn’t complain when used as in the pic on the left below. If one value doesn’t work, try the others that were suggested (2M and 4M). I'm also including a pic showing -copy_unknown.

post #56 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
@Zonker007 ,

I don’t see –probesize in the ffmpeg on-line doc (https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html), but ffmpeg didn’t complain when used as in the pic on the left below. If one value doesn’t work, try the others that were suggested (2M and 4M). I'm also including a pic showing -copy_unknown.

Ok, I was definitely entering those parameters wrong in FFMPEG. If someone can prioritize these parameters options in order of time needed to complete the conversion I would appreciate it. The reason I ask is if we identify which parm is the least intrusive to the conversion process first, it will make for a better conversion experience for the DVR+ lister. No one wants to wait hours for a file to convert...

I was hoping there was a way to just play the TS file straight from DVR+ Lister after copying, but that does not seem to be happening with the file issues.

Thanks,

Z
post #57 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I was definitely entering those parameters wrong in FFMPEG. If someone can prioritize these parameters options in order of time needed to complete the conversion I would appreciate it. The reason I ask is if we identify which parm is the least intrusive to the conversion process first, it will make for a better conversion experience for the DVR+ lister. No one wants to wait hours for a file to convert...

I was hoping there was a way to just play the TS file straight from DVR+ Lister after copying, but that does not seem to be happening with the file issues.

Thanks,

Z
try this one "–probesize" with increasing its value before you'll get it done correctly (technically speaking, that unknown PID_031 is the video PID, so if you'll find a ffmpeg's parameter what allow to copy it as-is, then you'll done it OK)

don't worry, soon the program will make it easy
post #58 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Z
What P Smith said about trying various sizes with the -probesize parameter!

Hmm... The least intrusive (fastest) conversions are "-i" for the input parameter, and "-map 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy" for the output parameters. Without issues like you're having with those 3 particular recordings, the "conversion" with those parameters is as fast as just copying the recordings, so I would use those (and perhaps -probesize) unless a recording fails the conversion process. You can include the -report parameter, but that creates a log for each and every recording that is converted (I'm still trying to find a way to direct the Log to a sub-folder for simpler management - can't get FFReport to work). If you are looking to use parameters which will work for all recordings (if there are any), then plan on it taking longer. I'll have to defer to others on which would be better, and so far I don't think we know. Did any of the recent parameters properly convert the 3 problem recordings?

DVR+ Lister is definitely not a video player, but can send a recording from the USB HDD to the default video player on your computer. Just double click on the desired recording in the listing. Of course, that assumes that your default video player supports the TS format that the DVR+ produces (some do and some don't). In my case, I use the free Media Player Classic Home Cinema, or free GOM video players, and the recordings play well. If you install one of these players, just like most freeware lately, be careful to reject any additional programs they try to install by making their rejection difficult to find. Once the recordings are on your computer, without some slight of hand, DVR+ Lister does not see them and therefore cannot send them to your video player. You'll have to manually play them via your video player.

PS, Once you get the parameters nailed down, I'd tidy things up by going back to the Convert Video window in DVR+ Lister and use the "X" buttons to delete those that failed, or those that you don't want, from the pulldown lists.
post #59 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Re: -probesize

Documented at https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#Format-Options

Docs say default is supposedly 5M, which I would think is plenty. I suggested 100M mostly because MCEBuddy uses that value. But then, MCEBuddy is reading .wtv files. I don't know their structure; they may require a much larger value. 100M is probably overkill for .ts but it won't cause any problems other than slowing down ffmpeg's startup a bit. If it works, you can play around to find the minimum reliable value.

Note: with ffmpeg, the order of parameters does sometimes matter. Didn't see anything specifically about that in the -probesize docs, but wanted to be safe.

Re: conversion speed

Unless you force a decode and re-encode, conversion should be almost as fast as copying. I say "almost" because ffmpeg does split the file into its various streams and recombine them, as well as doing some sanity checking to drop obviously bad data (such as frames with incorrect timestamps). I've found that sort of cleanup is needed to keep some programs (e.g., AVIDemux) from crashing, so I'll likely keep using ffmpeg even if DVR+ Lister acquires the ability to build the PMT & PAT itself.
post #60 of 552 Old 10-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
@Zonker007 ,

I have tried the -probesize 100M, -probesize 2M and -probesize 4M parameters without success. I also tried the -copy_unknown without success as well.

pachinko, I PM'd you the log files. At this point not sure what to do. I will archive the shows with a direct copy and maybe sometime in the future I will be able to convert them. Let me know if you think I should try anything else.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page