Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #301 of 321 Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Maybe, but I see a couple of problems. First, there aren't as many buttons as the eMatic remote has. That means even if it works, some functions won't be available.

Second, it isn't a learning remote, so you'll have the same problem as with the one you bought: if the eMatic isn't in its library of predefined codes, it won't work.

Wal-Mart does sell learning remotes, but it looks like they don't stock them at the store But if you're willing to wait a few days, try this search:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...te&cat_id=3944
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 321 Old 02-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Maybe, but I see a couple of problems. First, there aren't as many buttons as the eMatic remote has. That means even if it works, some functions won't be available.
Second, it isn't a learning remote, so you'll have the same problem as with the one you bought: if the eMatic isn't in its library of predefined codes, it won't work.
Wal-Mart does sell learning remotes, but it looks like they don't stock them at the store But if you're willing to wait a few days, try this search:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...te&cat_id=3944
The extra buttons wouldn't be a problem, as long as the needed ones worked. But they have to work 1-1. IE: Vol+ should be Vol+, Menu should be Menu, etc.
Do you think any of the others like GE, Beam, AuraLED, Petra will do any better?

Ok so after a long morning or trial & error. I did manage to find a code in the included list that did "work".

On the included list under the "Video Accessories section", the brand was Micca Code # 53850
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-4-Dev...ible/237559376

Obviously the power button works fine. The dark purple arrows button works. ^ V for Channels, < > for Volume. The small OK button kinda works for the Menu, but it only brings it up.
Nothing else works at all.

The RCA although a nice looking remote is a bust for me. I'm trying to shy away from the remotes that have too many buttons, and really small buttons.
Yeah I got big hands/fingers, what you gonna do about it! lol

Well the good news is the AT103B is hooked back up, and it seems to be working.

**Update** I have an extra CLIKR-5, could that work with the Ematic?

What other brand names does the Ematic go by?
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 02-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.
post #303 of 321 Old 02-08-2020, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
What other brand names does the Ematic go by?
There's a ton of them! The problem is, they don't all use the same remote codes, even if they use the same kind of remote.

Terk and HomeWorX do use the same codes, so try those first if they're listed. Terk is the best bet; Homeworx also uses the same codes but they're rearranged, so the buttons may not perform the functions you expect. (Number, arrow, and OK buttons should be OK.) Also, there's another HomeWorX box that uses a different remote with different codes, so a universal remote that lists HomeWorX will probably list two codes and you'll have to try both to find the one that works with the eMatic.

If those aren't listed, Boost Waves, Koramzi, Leelbox, and ViewTV might work. Channel Master, RCA, and Stellar Labs have an outside chance. They used to sell eMatic clones. They don't sell them anymore but the codes for those old boxes may still be listed, and some of them might happen to match the eMatic.
IN2tvClassics likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 321 Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
If those aren't listed, Boost Waves, Koramzi, Leelbox, and ViewTV might work. Channel Master, RCA, and Stellar Labs have an outside chance. They used to sell eMatic clones. They don't sell them anymore but the codes for those old boxes may still be listed, and some of them might happen to match the eMatic.
While searching the CLIKR-5 UR5U-8780L / UR5U-8790L code list I found a couple. These were the closest listings I could see.

AUX-DVR(TIVO):
Channerlmaster: 859
RCA: 809

But on another site Ematic is listed with 4 digit codes.
https://codesforuniversalremotes.com...-remote-codes/

How would using 3 digit codes work if it wants 4? Would I add a zero in front of the number?
post #305 of 321 Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
At103c

AT103C
I purchased a AT103C at my local Walmart last night & the register/monitor popped up asking for the serial#.
The supervisor bypassed it as there wasn't a number on the box.
(I wanted to make sure I purchased a unopened box noting all the issues people were having noting from reviews across the internet about used damaged boxes etc).
The supervisor then asked if I wanted the 2yr extended warranty so I opted for it as it was $4 (Box list price $39.88).

I just checked Ematic website for the box but strangely it only shows the AT102.
LINK

I have a outside yaga antenna at about 28-30ft with a amp mounted on the pole.
I did a quick hookup with the antenna connected to the AR103C (but I had removed the amps power supply) & scanned which pulled quit a few channels but less than what I normally get. Im concerned about damaging something if I add my amps power supply back in on the Ematic box as I seem to remember about it having its own built in amp IDK yet.

Just as a comparison I removed the Ematic box, attached my antenna cable back on the TV but with the amps power supply still removed & it pulled a few channels but less than with the AT103C. (Both were less than my original set up).

The software looks like something from the early days of computer games or such.
I didnt think to check the SW & HW version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmaticUser View Post

Also worth noting that the Ematic I bought had a serial number on the box that they had to scan and, when I asked for the Extended warranty today, I was told Walmart did not offer a warranty on the unit. It came with the 14-day return and 90-day Warranty!

Quote:
Had to bite the bullet and buy another AT103B tonight. Walmart $39.98 before sales tax.

Went to check the SW and Hardware and found it was not an AT103B but an AT103C!

Model: AT103C
SW Versionec 21 2018-17:17:19
HW Version:ABL7802-R36A

Thought to post these details here to help other owners.

BT THE WAY, when it did the channel search, it (as with all the others I've owned) did not find any Radio channels.

Curious to learn if ANYONE has found a radio channel.

Also, where is the SW?

And, is the ABL7802-R36A chio the one they have been using for years or does it appear to be a new version of the 7802 chip?

Last edited by DeweyNC; 02-13-2020 at 04:12 PM.
post #306 of 321 Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyNC View Post
I did a quick hookup with the antenna connected to the AT103C (but I had removed the amps power supply) & scanned which pulled quit a few channels but less than I normally pulled.
I then did a scan with the antenna cable back on the TV with the power supply still removed it pulled a few channels but less than with the AT103C.
I'm concerned about damaging something if I add my amp's power supply back in.
If you're far enough from the towers that having an amp helps, then using the amp isn't going to make the signals strong enough to do permanent damage.

I'd go ahead and try it with the amp. If you get fewer channels with the amp than without, then you can just remove the amp.

I don't have an eMatic (either B or C model) but I do have an iView. All these boxes use the same chips and similar firmware. (Not a very impressive-looking UI either, but I guess it gets the job done.)
DeweyNC likes this.
post #307 of 321 Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 PM

At103c

1) Misleading????
AT103-C (Noted on the outside of the original unopened/sealed cardboard box)
(On the back of the unit itself AT103-B)

Model: AT103-B
SW Version: Nov 1 2016-16:30:00
HW Version: ABL7802-R836-A

2)
In the Menu/Channel Search/Antenna Power on/off
I tested this setting 1st with the my antenna amp power supply not installed.
I then tested this setting with the amp installed.
I didnt see this setting do anything.

(OTHER-Using my amp in general makes a big improvement in the # of channels I receive)

3)
I noticed the RCA jack has a darker picture than using the hdmi.
Neither the RCA or HDMI picture from this Ematic box is as clear as using the tuner in the tv itself.

4)
I noticed that the RCA & HDMI casts out together continuously.
I had each output on 2 different TVs at the same time.

5)
I havent tried any recording.

Nvida Shield-purchased Dec2018
My regular tv channels 5s,7s,9s,12s,14s,19s,25s,38s,50s,54
Outside yaga combo antenna. 28-30ft off the ground. Pre-amp RCA-TVRAMP1Z, LTE Filter CM-3201

Last edited by DeweyNC; 02-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.
post #308 of 321 Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So far, the only difference between the 103B and 103C that I've seen mentioned is that the remote controls appear to use different codes. This might let you use two 103's in the same room (one B and one C), but it doesn't seem like either is better than the other.

The eMatic's antenna power feature may not work with your amp. Even if it does, you'd need a direct connection between the eMatic and your amp (i.e., remove the amp's existing power injector, along with any splitters or the like, between the eMatic and the amp). It probably isn't worth the trouble; I've never used it on my iView.

Regarding the HDMI output: if the picture isn't clear, you probably have the eMatic's HDMI port set to a lower resolution than your TV is capable of using. It can go as low as 480i, which is the same as the composite (RCA) output, or as high as 1080p. Press the HDMI button on the remote to change resolutions, and see if that helps. (If the picture goes blank, don't panic; just press HDMI again until the picture comes back. Some resolutions may not be compatible with your TV.)
DeweyNC likes this.
post #309 of 321 Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
in re: Posted by: DeweyNC

1. "MISLEADING"
Well, odds are that someone bought a second unit and, finding it had a "fresher" chip/software, cleaned up his old unit and returned it in the new box for credit or cash. Then, went an found another 'fresh' one (checking the label on the unit, of course) and bought that one.

2. Antenna Power on/off
I have no idea what this setting is about, but it does NOT appear to have any effect on our picture. However, I did not try and check the Signal Strength before and after switching the setting - just relied upon the my myoptic appraisal of the images before and after. I do employ an amplifier that the Cable TV people left here years ago.

3. RCA or HDMI picture

We use the Ematic fed from a coax splitter that carries the (amplified) signal from the antenna on the roof to the Ematic coax input and to the TV coax input respectively while the EMATIC Output feeds the TV via HDMI1. It is an OLD Emerson $99 Black Friday Walmart 40" set. Switching from the TV channel to the same channel fed from the Ematic makes no perceptible difference to either of us. We never have used the RCA outputs or the FEED THROUGH setting I noticed while getting our date and SW info.

4. RCA and HDMI simultaneously

Experience has shown me that eliminating variables (real, potential and otherwise) is key to running verifiable experiments. In this case, running two monitors (TVs) simultaneously invites feedback from either or both that may well degrade the signal or a/v feeds to either or both monitors. To compare the HDMI out with the RCA out, you only want to have the one output in use and only the one monitor/TV in the circuit. The 'other' TV or Monitor should be off, even unplugged from the AC and the Antenna. Then, using TV-1 feed through the HDMI and evaluate the result. THen, disconnect the HDMI and connect up the RCA and evaluate that result. Next, using TV-2, repeat. You might want to enlist the wife and even video the results.

5) Recording

We've done a &*^%load of recording. We are able to program the thing days in advance as well as for shorter AND the Ematic off. It wakes up, records as programmed, then turns itself off.

Spoiler Alert: If I turn on the TV while it is recording something that it had 'awakened' to record, it will turn itself back off when the recording's done! Can be a bit of a surprise first time it happens to you.

Here are the specs for our Living Room Ematic:
AT103-C
DEC 21 2018-17:18:19
ABL7802-R836-A
DeweyNC likes this.

Last edited by EmaticUser; 02-15-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
post #310 of 321 Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
1. "MISLEADING"
Well, odds are that someone bought a second unit and, finding it had a "fresher" chip/software, cleaned up his old unit and returned it in the new box for credit or cash. Then, went an found another 'fresh' one (checking the label on the unit, of course) and bought that one.

Here are the specs for our Living Room Ematic:
AT103-C
DEC 21 2018-17:18:19
ABL7802-R836-A
After reading all the mess in the reviews on amazon etc is why I decided to buy local as to get a visual of the condition sitting on the shelve.
The cardboard box still had the Ematic stamped sticker seal.
The unit still had the warranty seal on the unit itself.
I did find a white sticker on the bottom of the unit that had AT103-C with in other numbers.
The remote control doesnt have the multiple colored buttons.

Recap:
AT103-C on the cardboard box
AT103-C on a white sticker on the bottom of the unit
AT103-B in the menu
AT103-B printed onto the rear of the unit

Strange
Guess they just recoded for the remote

Quote:
3. RCA or HDMI picture

We use the Ematic fed from a coax splitter that carries the (amplified) signal from the antenna on the roof to the Ematic coax input and to the TV coax input respectively while the EMATIC Output feeds the TV via HDMI1. It is an OLD Emerson $99 Black Friday Walmart 40" set. Switching from the TV channel to the same channel fed from the Ematic makes no perceptible difference to either of us. We never have used the RCA outputs or the FEED THROUGH setting I noticed while getting our date and SW info.
I originally had my main coax line split to 2 tvs side-by-side.
With the final install of the Ematic (just installed the unit before 1 tv) I used the antenna FEED THROUGH option & I receive the same amount of channels as before (roughly 40).

My side-by-side tvs are a samsung 2018 led 65" & a samsung 2009 lcd 55"
(Overkill maybe but I have my security cameras & older RCA-jack game systems on the 55" (the newer tv doesnt have RCAs but I do have newer game systems connected to this tv).
I have about 700gb of movies on a self powered hard drive that I play back on the 2018 tv, the 2009 wont recognize it. Im curious to see how the Ematic menu will compare to the tv menu.
During a hurricane I can watch my surrounding property & the weather broadcast or 2 different stations simultaneously).

Quote:
4. RCA and HDMI simultaneously

Experience has shown me that eliminating variables (real, potential and otherwise) is key to running verifiable experiments. In this case, running two monitors (TVs) simultaneously invites feedback from either or both that may well degrade the signal or a/v feeds to either or both monitors. To compare the HDMI out with the RCA out, you only want to have the one output in use and only the one monitor/TV in the circuit. The 'other' TV or Monitor should be off, even unplugged from the AC and the Antenna. Then, using TV-1 feed through the HDMI and evaluate the result. THen, disconnect the HDMI and connect up the RCA and evaluate that result. Next, using TV-2, repeat. You might want to enlist the wife and even video the results.
Ive decided not to use the RCA connection & didnt follow up on it any further.

Quote:
5) Recording

We've done a &*^%load of recording. We are able to program the thing days in advance as well as for shorter AND the Ematic off. It wakes up, records as programmed, then turns itself off.

Spoiler Alert: If I turn on the TV while it is recording something that it had 'awakened' to record, it will turn itself back off when the recording's done! Can be a bit of a surprise first time it happens to you.
I finally got chance to play with the recording just a little (snow forecast the past coupe days), using a 16gb thumb drive I had, Im not sure how much recording I will do yet.

Outside yaga combo antenna. 28-30ft off the ground. Pre-amp RCA-TVRAMP1Z, LTE Filter CM-3201

Last edited by DeweyNC; 02-21-2020 at 01:53 AM.
post #311 of 321 Old 02-21-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The remote control doesnt have the multiple colored buttons.

Recap:
AT103-C on the cardboard box
AT103-C on a white sticker on the bottom of the unit
AT103-B in the menu
AT103-B printed onto the rear of the unit

The model displayed in System / Information is determined by the firmware. The firmware also determines which remote codes will be recognized.

In theory, if you could get both the firmware to flash and the matching remote, you could probably turn a "B" into a "C" or vice versa.
DeweyNC likes this.
post #312 of 321 Old 02-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 248
My Sony tv has a very weak tuner in it. I want to try the Ematic because Walmart has a good return policy. I only will use this to get the ota stations,no recording. How good is the tuner in the Ematic? Thanks for any info.
post #313 of 321 Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
My Sony tv has a very weak tuner in it. I want to try the Ematic because Walmart has a good return policy. I only will use this to get the ota stations,no recording. How good is the tuner in the Ematic? Thanks for any info.
Tyler (Antenna Man on YouTube) uses an Ematic AT103B for testing out various types of antennas on his channel. He claims that it has a good tuner that allows him to receive the weaker stations in his area. For me, my AT103B seems to receive well and appears to be on par with the Zenith DTT901, though the tuner in my Samsung NU7100 pulls in borderline signals better. Just remember, the Ematic has an "antenna power" option, which is essentially a built in pre-amp. Turn this off if you plan on using a good outdoor antenna or if you already have an existing pre-amp in your setup. Otherwise, your stronger stations may appear weak.

Newer is not always better.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 02-25-2020 at 01:40 PM.
post #314 of 321 Old 02-25-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The eMatic uses a Rafael Micro R836 tuner, which is pretty typical of these boxes. In my experience the R836 isn't outstanding, but it's OK.

If reception is generally lousy at your house, the eMatic isn't likely to work any better than any other TV or tuner. But if it's just that one Sony TV that's having problems, and your other TVs and/or tuners work OK, then the eMatic should work fine too.
post #315 of 321 Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Looks like my ematic remote messes with my security camera unit.

Ive noticed that after turning off the ematic box & switching my input back to my camera system view that either the camera view has changed or the settings menu is open, It was just on the format hard drive page before making this post.

Going to see if I can block the receiver eye or such on the camera system.

The security cameras have been attached to this tv for over 2yrs recording 24/7 with no issues.
post #316 of 321 Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Just remember, the Ematic has an "antenna power" option, which is essentially a built in pre-amp.
Well, not exactly; the Antenna Power option provides power to an upstream preamp, if you have one that's compatible. (5V, center conductor positive, to be specific.) It's not a preamp itself.

The function appears to be inherited from the eMatic's ancestor. These mStar boxes were originally developed as satellite TV receivers, which typically provide power to a preamp (LNA) at the dish. They were adapted to North American OTA/cable use by swapping out the tuner & demod for ones configured for ATSC/QAM.

I've confirmed that Antenna Power will power a CM-7777HD "Amplify" preamp. I haven't tried any other preamps, but it may work with a Winegard "Boost" LNA-200 preamp as well.

Also, given the limited amount of power the eMatic and similar boxes have to sling around, using the Antenna Power option to power a preamp may leave too little power for a USB-powered HDD; another reason to prefer either a fast thumb drive or an externally-powered HDD with these boxes.
post #317 of 321 Old 05-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Ran across this box in BigLots, looks similar.
Just sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_171714-1_1588977586139.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2723318   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_171732-1_1588977613168.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2723320  

post #318 of 321 Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am trying to rename the video files on the PVR on my Ematic at103b. I can get to the screen to do this, but the resolution is too bad to read the button to hit. I read in a thread where you have renamed video files on your Ematic at103b.
post #319 of 321 Old 05-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock47872 View Post
I am trying to rename the video files on the PVR on my Ematic at103b. I can get to the screen to do this, but the resolution is too bad to read the button to hit. I read in a thread where you have renamed video files on your Ematic at103b.
Once the file is selected, pressing the TIMER button (on our AT103B remote) brings up the renaming function.

However, I take the HD off the AT103B and plug it into my laptop to rename files and sort the files into directories (folders, if you will). Each recording creates two files which need to be renamed individually when using my laptop,

One of the experienced users here taught me another thing today that might impact your RESOLUTION issue: Conforming the resolution output to the monitor in use by simply pressing the HDMI button (above the MENU button on our remote) to cycle through the available resolution settings.

BTW: When renaming recordings, I preface each with "Z-" so the (renamed) recordings automatically segregate themselves from the rest (with the latest first/uppermost on the list).

Though, if you do create sub-directories (folders) under HBPVR, they will appear first/uppermost in the listings.
post #320 of 321 Old 05-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Just sharing
"BigLots, looks similar"

Images too small to allow certainty, but it appears that the unit pictured has a POWER switch at the left front of the unit. Lovely touch, but not an Ematic as far as I know.
post #321 of 321 Old 05-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Just sharing

$55!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
AT103B , ematicuser

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page