post #61 of 287 Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark40511 View Post
Ok, which fan was it again that you recommend for these type of boxes? Can you send a link? oh, and how are you connecting a USB fan AND a hard drive since there's only one USB? What exactly are you using to accomplish this? I know it can be done but just wondering what you use. Thanks

I will also add something sort of off topic while I'm here. You know those Jtech powered HDMI switches? You plug them into your HDMI port and plug it in to expand your HDMI ports? I can NEVER get those to work, except for ONE, and it was sporadic. When I ordered this mediasonic, I ordered this, and it works GREAT. I was so worried it wouldn't. It's cool that it knows which HDMI device you're using and switches to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinps%C2%AE3-S...braided+switch
I plug the fan to the same extention cord as the ematic. I unplug it when I'm not using them. I recently ordered 2 of these and they came a week later(Got it today from the seller) from Japan and not 2 weeks. Fits nicely on top of the ematic and HW 150. Remember air circulating out and not in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361411853545...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by afterlife2; 04-19-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 287 Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Mark maybe try exchanging the box. I don't have issues, then again I don't rtecord 3 in a row daily. I'll give it a try and report back next week or so. Remember the heat inside messes stuff up, so get a cheap fan with air circulating out. Maybe call Ematic and ask if there is a firmware update and let us know.
Actually, I found a fan in my old laptop bag. It's USB. I took a pic of it. Will this work? The air blows UP toward me. It's LOUD but I don't care since no one is in the room when the box comes on to record. I hope this pic works. I'm not exactly sure how to insert a pic but I'm going to try.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #63 of 287 Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I plug the fan to the same extention cord as the ematic. I unplug it when I'm not using them. I recently ordered 2 of these and they came a week later(Got it today from the seller) from Japan and not 2 weeks. Fits nicely on top of the ematic and HW 150. Remember air circulating out and not in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361411853545...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
My last post disappeared? Maybe I'm not allowed to insert pics? I dunno. Anyway, I have a USB fan I found in my old laptop bag. I also found a powered USB hub. I plugged the hub into the HW 150, and into the electric outlet. The USB fan was in the ON position, but it didn't come on (good thing), as soon as I powered on the HW150, the fan came on.......but when I turned the HW150 back to standby, the fan powered down to a really LOW sound, but not completely off. When you say make sure the fan blows out and not in, if the fan is UNDER the HW150, you want it blowing up toward it, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some pics. Just put it on top of the Ematic just like you have the fan in your pic. Be sure to post a pic when you can of it setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	1393650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1393658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2435.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1393666  

post #65 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Here are some pics. Just put it on top of the Ematic just like you have the fan in your pic. Be sure to post a pic when you can of it setup.

OK, I came back to post something and when I saw page 3 of the forum, that post where I posted a pic of the fan was totally gone. It was there before. As soon as I made a new post, there the post with the pic of the fan was again....

Anyway - Honestly, I don't know what kind of powered USB hub it is. It's got to be kind of old because I keep a stash of old electronic items in a bin, like cords, things that build up that you may have used at one time but not anymore, etc. That's where I found this hub. Here is a couple of pics. Anyway - there is a problem with this fan setup (I will move it to the top of the 150, because that's the one that is now doing the recording. But when I plugged the USB hub into the 150, then plugged the hard drive into the USB hub, at 11 pm, when the timer came on to record, it said NO DISK FOUND. So I had to plug the drive directly into the 150 and then I plugged the fan into the USB hub, but it runs ALL the time.. I was so hoping that would work where the fan only comes on when it's recording at 5pm to 6pm, then 11 to 1130, then 130 am to 3am. I can't run in there and turn the fan on all the time, so I just left the fan on LOW speed.

I hate having all those unsightly cords. It looks worse in the pic than real life, but the look of those cords still bug me a little, but it's unavoidable.

post #66 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No No lol put it on top and turn the fan on the opposite side. You need a smaller fan, but that will do for now.

post #67 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
On the eMatic, is the power button "hard" (completely disconnects power; cannot turn it on with the remote) or "soft" (goes into standby and you can turn it back on with the remote)? It looks like a "soft" power button but it's hard to be sure from just a photo.
It powers it on and off and other buttons change channels as well, but that's it.

post #68 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Thanks! Believe it or not, I think I found it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/7-Port-Hi-Spee.../dp/B00OM9QMOS

$20, shipping included. Based on the ship date, it must come from overseas though.
post #69 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you turn the eMatic off with the button on the front panel, can you turn it back on with the remote control?

(You can do that with the HW-180, but not with the HW-150.)
Yes JH you can. Are you thinking of getting one?

post #70 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe. I have that "good" 7802 firmware (for my HW-150) in case I get a 7802 box with the bugs Mark's eMatic had. (Of course I'd have to use my HW remote with that firmware.)

But in any case, I'm putting together a comparison chart of all these clones and wanted to include the power switch type in the chart.

I'm not sure which type is better. "Hard," like the HW-150, is probably better if your box locks up a lot (which hopefully it doesn't)! But "soft," like the eMatic and HW-180, is probably less confusing for most folks.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #71 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can't believe this forum is so active.

I got the AT103B Sunday at Walmart, $20 in clearance.

Hundreds of people have written 1-star reviews griping that the box won't get past the "boot" message. That happened to me. Then I connected an HDMI cable and it booted. I got it for HD recording from OTA so I don't actually want to use the composite output, but I wonder if the box will output composite at all. I haven't come up with any setting that brings up a picture from composite video. Strange that the box ships with Y/W/R cable and was set to 1080 output with RF set to loop-through meaning even channel 3/4 output can't be used.

Recordings look great. I've been recording in SD for years. Had enough of that.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #72 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. I'd think composite has to work for RF channel 3/4 to work!

Maybe these boxes have some fluke where the RF has to be set to channel 3/4 before the composite will work. If so, it's pretty crazy that it'd come set to loop-through. If you don't have an HDMI port on your TV, you'd have no way to even set it up.

Either that or it's just defective. But if all you need is HDMI, I guess it's OK for your purposes anyway.

BTW, there seem to be two versions of this box. One version has some bugs that the other doesn't have. In particular, daily recordings don't work correctly in the buggy version but work OK in the other version. So if you run into that, you may still want to exchange it.
post #73 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 08:08 PM

I haven't set daily timers, but I did get random dates when I called up the timer screen and had to edit.

I was able to play divx recordings, even though divx isn't listed. WMV played, too. I expected that since WMA is listed.

I could play Tetris and Snake for hours. That's just silly.
post #74 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was wondering what the games were! This is the only one of these clones I know of that has games built in.
post #75 of 287 Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john79605 View Post
I can't believe this forum is so active.

I got the AT103B Sunday at Walmart, $20 in clearance.

Hundreds of people have written 1-star reviews griping that the box won't get past the "boot" message. That happened to me. Then I connected an HDMI cable and it booted. I got it for HD recording from OTA so I don't actually want to use the composite output, but I wonder if the box will output composite at all. I haven't come up with any setting that brings up a picture from composite video. Strange that the box ships with Y/W/R cable and was set to 1080 output with RF set to loop-through meaning even channel 3/4 output can't be used.

Recordings look great. I've been recording in SD for years. Had enough of that.
I read a lot of those walmart reviews too. I remember seeing a lot of "won't get past boot", but I don't think (of the ones I read), that anyone mentioned not being able to record daily...I can't believe how much bigger the 150 mediasonic is than the ematic I bought. It's twice the size. I like the 150 so much better, but I could live with the ematic easily if not for the bugs. I called them this time and spoke to someone who said he would initiate a ticket after I explained to him what I have learned about these boxes, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's funny you found the exact USB hub that I have. If you plug the hard drive into the hub and the mediasonic 150 is connected to the hub as well, why would the DVR not find a drive?I thought that was the way it's supposed to work, but perhaps it's just merely for extra usb slots?
post #76 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe. I have that "good" 7802 firmware (for my HW-150) in case I get a 7802 box with the bugs Mark's eMatic had. (Of course I'd have to use my HW remote with that firmware.)

But in any case, I'm putting together a comparison chart of all these clones and wanted to include the power switch type in the chart.

I'm not sure which type is better. "Hard," like the HW-150, is probably better if your box locks up a lot (which hopefully it doesn't)! But "soft," like the eMatic and HW-180, is probably less confusing for most folks.
I would love to see that comparison JH with lots of pics. Watched an old Merv Griffin from METV last night from the 60's I think, that I recorded man these cheap Ematics do a great job. Hope you get the Ematic exchanged Mark or do the firmware update like JH has with success.

post #77 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I would love to see that comparison JH with lots of pics. Watched an old Merv Griffin from METV last night from the 60's I think, that I recorded man these cheap Ematics do a great job. Hope you get the Ematic exchanged Mark or do the firmware update like JH has with success.
They do do a GREAT job, don't they! I was blown away how easy it was. Since I have the 150 now, the ematic is just gravy to mess with. I don't need it horribly bad unless something happens to the 150 and suddenly I need a back up.

I'm still a little confused about what JH said about firmware. I don't think he said he actually tried it with the ematic itself, did he? I think he said he tried it with another one of these box versions but now has to use another remote with it.....but there is no where for me to actually "FIND the firmware" to even try it.

Ideally, I could fix the bugs in this ematic with firmware, put it away as a back up if something happens to the 150.
post #78 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mark just email Mediasonic and tell them you want the QAM firmware update.

post #79 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM

I worked on the rat's nest of cables behind the AVR and now I have composite output. The box even booted with no HDMI cable. I'm tempted to go get another $20 box for another room.
JHBrandt and afterlife2 like this.
post #80 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john79605 View Post
I worked on the rat's nest of cables behind the AVR and now I have composite output. The box even booted with no HDMI cable. I'm tempted to go get another $20 box for another room.
Backups are always good. John get a fan if you don't have one on the way already.

post #81 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Thanks, Mark. That is a different version than afterlife2's eMatic. I'm guessing his version doesn't have these bugs.

Unfortunately, your info screen doesn't identify the SoC; but I also got confirmation that the new iViews suffer from both bugs, so I'd bet that eMatic did the same thing as iView and switched hardware from a 7816 SoC (which afterlife2's eMatic has) to a 7802. The "stock" 7802 firmware seems to be the culprit: the iViews acquired the same bugs when they switched firmware as well. The older 7816-based iViews didn't have either bug.

The timing is also about right. iView started selling a 7802 box (the 3200) with these bugs last June, then switched their bigger 3500 boxes over to the 7802 in October. It looks like your firmware is dated September of last year (assuming 150914 is year,month,day).

So now we have two brands (iView and eMatic) that have both screwed up their products by switching to bad firmware

Mediasonic's HW-180 uses a 7802 chip and the same remote control as the eMatic. I'll ask on the HomeWorX thread if the HW-180 has either bug. If not, perhaps that box's firmware could be used to fix yours.
I have a question about the new versions of these boxes. The Homeworx 180 succeeded the 150, and the iView 3200 succeeded the 3500. The newer versions lack the component video connection. But do these new versions have the updated menu interface with the correct channel numbers? The older versions always had some strange channel number rather than 3.1, 4.1 7.1 etc. Do these newer versions now have the normal channel numbers? I want to select a box for a senior citizen neighbor who is converting to OTA, and I need it to be as simple as possible with the basic functions and channel numbers. I think the new RCA box from Walmart has regular channel numbers, and I have an eMatic I got for $19.99 but have not tested it yet.
post #82 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For OTA, the only place I've seen those "strange" channel numbers is on the front-panel numeric display. The on-screen functions all use the ordinary channel numbers we're used to seeing. (QAM users may also see those strange channel numbers on-screen, depending on the firmware version; but it shouldn't be a problem for OTA.)

The iView 3500, eMatic, and some of the other clones have a front-panel display, so avoid those if you think it would be too confusing (or just tape over the display ). Neither the HW boxes nor the 3200 even has a front-panel display, so strange numbers shouldn't be an issue with any of them.

As noted, however, the 3200 and some eMatics (not all) have annoying bugs. That would leave you with one of the HW boxes, or the RCA DTA880 if you can still find one.
post #83 of 287 Old 04-21-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's funny you found the exact USB hub that I have. If you plug the hard drive into the hub and the mediasonic 150 is connected to the hub as well, why would the DVR not find a drive?I thought that was the way it's supposed to work, but perhaps it's just merely for extra usb slots?
As I understand it, the hub has an "input" port, which I think is the "type B" (square) plug. You're supposed to run a USB cable from the HW to the input port, then plug your HDD, fan, etc. into the other ports.

You can actually plug in more than one HDD. (The HW will ask you which one you want to use when you go to the USB menu.) But it may take some trial and error to figure out which HDD is "C," which is "D," etc.
post #84 of 287 Old 04-23-2016, 07:39 AM

The box freezes when I fast forward through commercials. I was about to box it up for a refund but I remembered I could just move the hard drive to the blu-ray player to play the recordings. I lose captions, but that has always been true on my Hauppauge HD PVR recordings anyway.

I'm still impressed with the ematic.
post #85 of 287 Old 04-23-2016, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
For OTA, the only place I've seen those "strange" channel numbers is on the front-panel numeric display. The on-screen functions all use the ordinary channel numbers we're used to seeing. (QAM users may also see those strange channel numbers on-screen, depending on the firmware version; but it shouldn't be a problem for OTA.)

The iView 3500, eMatic, and some of the other clones have a front-panel display, so avoid those if you think it would be too confusing (or just tape over the display ). Neither the HW boxes nor the 3200 even has a front-panel display, so strange numbers shouldn't be an issue with any of them.

As noted, however, the 3200 and some eMatics (not all) have annoying bugs. That would leave you with one of the HW boxes, or the RCA DTA880 if you can still find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Digital-...3D182047160675

post #86 of 287 Old 04-23-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for digging up that listing! They actually have a drawing of the back of the box, which I couldn't find anywhere else. Looks like it has the same outputs as the eMatic; only difference is the power supply is external.

There's no front-panel display like the eMatic has, but that may be a plus for TylerSC's neighbor.
post #87 of 287 Old 05-14-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
As I understand it, the hub has an "input" port, which I think is the "type B" (square) plug. You're supposed to run a USB cable from the HW to the input port, then plug your HDD, fan, etc. into the other ports.
Got my USB hub not long ago, and that is the way it works. It came with a USB cable that I ran from the box to the type B socket on the hub; then I plugged my HDD into another slot and it worked.

My HW-150 seems to have a flaky USB port that doesn't always detect the HDD (whether I use a hub or not), but I'm trying it with an iView 3200 with HW-150 firmware (V2.1) installed on it, and it works fine there.

What I like about this hub is that it switches power to the output ports on or off whenever power to the input port is switched on or off. That means your HDD doesn't run when the eMatic, HomeWorX, iView, or whichever box you have is in standby.

That should work with a fan too, so the fan should turn on and off along with the box and HDD. I'll try that next.
post #88 of 287 Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would suggest buying a small laptop fan to put on top, so it does not get too hot:
http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooling...SB+COOLING+FAN
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Finally got my fan. I got the first one because I like its built-in USB hub. Just plug the fan into the box, then plug the HDD into the fan's hub and you're done!
post #89 of 287 Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 PM

OK, I'm back and with a REALLY DUMB QUESTION:

So I'm recording a half hour old show on ME TV weeknights, right? It totals 32 minutes with the timer recording duration because I set it to start and end a minute early and late. Now, I take this file from the hard drive, edit out commercials and encode to mp4 using handbrake. I noticed that 32 min show used to be around 850 mb in size for weeks, and now, suddenly, it's 1.3 gigs. With my encoding settings, I used to end up with a 140 mb file that I saved when all is said and done, now that file ends up being almost 300 mb after commercials are edited out and it's re encoded to mp4 for me to save....I changed nothing at all so I just thought it was weird that the same recording over weeks would end up being a drastically larger file out of no where. This has happened the past week. Any thoughts? Thanks
post #90 of 287 Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, not sure about your station, but ours (KTXA) recently changed Me-TV from 4:3 to 16:9. They left it at 480i, so not really any more pixels, and I hadn't been recording it recently so I don't know if the bit rate changed. But perhaps your station gave Me-TV some more bandwidth along with the aspect ratio change to improve picture quality?

Just a guess, but the timing makes it seem plausible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page