Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #241 of 288 Old 03-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 43
@ JHBrandt - Thx, that worked great so far. So far all channel 13s are coming in, all green boxes are gone. I got channel 51s working.

Now I need to lock in Channel 6 so I can receive Comet.

I'd also like to lock in WFNY Gloversville 16.1-16.4 (48.1-48.4) if possible. What RF should I be trying for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 288 Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2902 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
According to RabbitEars.Info, you should scan RF 16 for WFNY. But receiving them in Troy looks pretty challenging. Don't be surprised if you can't pull in their signal.
post #243 of 288 Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
According to RabbitEars.Info, you should scan RF 16 for WFNY. But receiving them in Troy looks pretty challenging. Don't be surprised if you can't pull in their signal.
Nope, nothing. I tried pointing in every possible direction I could, not even 1%.

But I did find ch6 "somewhat". While I was aiming my antenna I found ch6. But only a 38-40% signal for about 2-3 seconds. (38-40%...nothing..38-40%...nothing....)

Although I was able to "lock in" the signal it doesn't stay long enough to be visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 288 Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

I've had my Ematic for over 2 weeks. So far it's been good. I had a couple hiccups, but with help I was able to fix them.

I would like to know if there is a way to add information to the (EPG) electronic program guide? All but Ch 14s WYBN have EPG data?
Is there a way to add this information?
post #245 of 288 Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really. These boxes don't have a port for an Internet connection, and they're not programmed to read EPG data from a file on the disk drive. So the only way to get EPG data into them is via the signal they receive from the station.
post #246 of 288 Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Well that's to bad. Other than that, it works fine for my purposes.
post #247 of 288 Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I recently bought the eMatic AT103B and decided to give it a try. There are some improvements over the RCA DTA880 that I'm currently using, but I've noticed a few inconveniences as well as bugs with the AT103B, particularly with the PVR side of things...

Inconveniences
While accessing the PVR list, I have to hit the USB button and select the PVR option as there is no separate PVR button on the remote to quickly take me there. (Unlike the RCA DTA880). What's nice is that the PVR option is selected by default as they figure that's what most people are going to use. No big deal I guess. However, once in the the PVR menu, the PVR folder on the drive is not automatically entered by default, (unlike the RCA DTA880), and I'm always at the root of the drive. This of course, requires me to navigate to the PVR folder and press the OK button to access the recordings, which is time consuming and will wear out the remote quicker.

Another inconvenience with the PVR is that the filenames of the recordings have the channel label listed first instead of the date, the latter is how the RCA DTA880 names it's recordings. (Example: WKYC-HD-042420190745PM vs 20190424-1945-WKYC-HD-3-1). This naming scheme causes the PVR to list the recordings alphabetically instead of oldest to newest, which is what I would prefer as it is better organized.

I wish the front panel display would show the virtual channel number (25-3) instead of the list number (C024). I do see a colon on the display when I shine a flashlight on it, so I guess it could be done by using it as a separator for the sub channel, assuming it's connected. Otherwise, I guess it's a good way of knowing how many channels you have programmed.

Bugs/Issues
A bug that I discovered with the AT103B involves the audio. Recordings are somewhat quieter compared to the live broadcasts. If I switch the digital audio to RAW, the volume is fixed for live broadcasts, but the volume for recordings can be cranked up to make them leveled with the live broadcasts. This doesn't affect timeshift mode.

Another bug with the AT103B is garbled audio (audio dropouts). This seems to happen with live broadcasts while the digital audio option is set to RAW and after FF/RW a recording multiple times.

Update: The issues affecting the RAW audio output appears to be related to the TV (Sanyo) that I had it hooked up to. I tried another TV (Samsung) and the issues disappeared, except for the soft volume on the recordings.

The AT103B suffers from a few other issues as well, mainly the "midnight bug". (Common issue with the RCA DTA880 and other STB clones).

Info screen sometimes doesn't feel like displaying the description of the show shortly after tuning in. Seems like you have to wait for a few minutes for the description to appear. Also, the info screen shows the name of the program twice.

Black level seems to be much higher compared to the RCA DTA880, even though the color settings for both HDMI inputs are the same.

Improvements
It appears that the "channel re-initialization" bug has been fixed, so schedules shouldn't end up disappearing when the box sees something slightly different with the station's PSIP. (Common issue with the RCA DTA880 and other STB clones). I take that back... It just happened right now on a particular station that commonly causes the box to re-initialize upon tuning in. Darn!

The tuner seems to be better built than the one in my RCA DTA880, and doesn't appear to suffer from breakups due to signal overload. (Common issue with the RCA DTA880 and other STB clones).

Misc
Does anyone know what the sort option does under the program sub menu? I've tried all the options and nothing changes. What is LCN & ONID?

A user on page 8, post 239 of this thread claims that his AT103B has software version Jan 9 2018-16:47:35, while mine has version Feb 27 2017-19:26:11. I couldn't find any available updates on their website. Actually, they didn't even have the AT103B listed at all, just the older(?) AT102B. I sent an email to support explaining this and was told that there were no updates available at this time. I've seen screenshots of the AT103B with older versions (2016), and the only thing I found noticeably different was the change to the 12 hour time format. I suppose that the only way to get the latest version is to exchange the converter box with another one in hopes that it contains the latest software. Does anyone know if there are any improvements with the latest version? Does it fix any of the issues that I listed above? Should I even bother?

Overall, I find the eMatic AT103B not much of an improvement over the RCA DTA880 that I've owned for the last couple of years. While a bit more reliable when it comes to receiving channels, the PVR suffers from the same common issues that plagues these STB clones (as well as additional issues) that may annoy some people. If these issues were not present or were fixed with a newer software version, I might actually recommend this converter box to others. The only recommendation I would give (at this point) would be strictly using the AT103B for live viewing on a HDTV that lacks an integrated tuner. Otherwise, using it to record and view recorded shows may aggravate some users, particularly those who are picky or are not technologically inclined.

Newer is not always better.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 04-25-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Green text = Edits since original posting.
post #248 of 288 Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I only use this to fine tune my rooftop antenna, although the program guide and picture quality is much better than my Panasonic plasma and crappy Sceptre 4K TVs.

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp and a RCA VH226F rotor motor
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #249 of 288 Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I found one of these AT103B 's (with original remote, working) at a thrift store a coupla weeks ago... snatched it up when I saw it had USB and HDMI ports... for only a few dollars!! ( 'score!' ) I found ematic's website pretty... not much help, except the manual is in color which helps.

I did a search on 'ematic pvr' hoping for helpful info, as I tried using the PVR function last night, and it appeared to record, but only saved a useless file to my thumbdrive. My search led me here, to this post on AVSforum... ( 'score!' ) I found a place where I know can learn some things, and I thank you Sir, for starting this thread...

AFN... (All For Now... )

regards...

dNorm

p.s. I saw a lot of complaints on ematic website that device stopped working after a week or more. Likely that is how I found this unit for cheap at the thrift store.
after a few days I realized that the unit always seemed really warm... looked closer and found that unit was 'encased' in a clear plastic shrink film covering vent
holes on sides top and bottom... if it was not completely blocking airflow it was significantly restricting it... look for it! take a razor knife or blade, and cut at a
seam, and peel it off... since I removed that plastic film unit has been only slightly warm...

Heat and moisture are the top killers of electronic devices... d.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #250 of 288 Old 08-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Greetings...

New here... (see prev post, #249 ? )
got a few questions... my forum skills are rusty... is it just this 'thread' or is there a sub-forum dedicated to ematic boxes? or plans to make one?... about how many are here?...
a LOT of good info here but it will take me days to go through these almost 250 posts to find info I need... manual is very poorly written... I would like to see a clear guide on how to do PVR with this box, and links to other internet resources...
i turned on the box, and the usb thumbdrive flashed. was the box booting, or was it trying to boot from the thumbdrive?...
Does the box have to be 'off' in order to record as programmed?...

AFN... regards...
post #251 of 288 Old 08-10-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dNorm View Post
New here... (see prev post, #249 ? )
got a few questions... my forum skills are rusty... is it just this 'thread' or is there a sub-forum dedicated to ematic boxes? or plans to make one?... about how many are here?...
a LOT of good info here but it will take me days to go through these almost 250 posts to find info I need... manual is very poorly written... I would like to see a clear guide on how to do PVR with this box, and links to other internet resources...
i turned on the box, and the usb thumbdrive flashed. was the box booting, or was it trying to boot from the thumbdrive?...
Does the box have to be 'off' in order to record as programmed?...

AFN... regards...
"Boot" means that the box is in the process of starting up. If you are stuck at "boot" with a black screen or no HDMI signal, try connecting to another input. Many people have complained about this issue as the initial setup process only outputs though composite or RF (I forget which one) and not the HDMI. Once the initial setup is complete, the HDMI should start outputting a signal. If the box was manufactured recently, the issue may have been corrected as I never ran into this with my eMatic.

The box can be on or off for a scheduled recording. A message will appear about 10 seconds in advance to let you know that a schedule is about to record. Keep in mind that the eMatic does not have a dual tuner, meaning that you can not record a program and watch another channel (subs of the same channel are an exception) at the same time. If this is important, then I would suggest using your TV's tuner to watch the other program while the eMatic records. In addition, the eMatic can not record two shows at the same time or record while watching a previous recording. It is essentially operates like a VCR, but instead of tape, you are using a USB flash drive or an external hard drive as the medium.

Also, if you are not aware already, the eMatic is designed for over the air (antenna) recording. It's technically not designed for cable, though it should allow you to watch and record unscrambled QAM channels, which are basically going to be your local broadcast stations in your area.

post #252 of 288 Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 87
IIRC, thumb drives are problematic. Only certain brands and sizes seem to work. If you use an external hard drive, you have a size limit. I run mine with a 2TB Seagate. (2.5" form factor - physically larger ,3.5", drives require external power supplies) I'd suggest giving it a lot of lead time since getting started on timer or timeshift takes longer than you might expect.

I have had no problems. I move the hard drive to a PC for editing and playback with media players.
snowdog 88 likes this.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #253 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
New here... is it just this 'thread' or is there a sub-forum dedicated to ematic boxes?
Typically there's one thread per box model, but you should be aware that there are a lot of boxes being sold with the same basic design as the eMatic. The boxes are so similar, much of the knowledge about one box applies to the others too. Here are some threads for related boxes (some are only a page or two; some others are longer than this eMatic thread):

Quote:
Not trying to boot from the thumb drive, but it does access the USB port to determine if one is present. That's probably what caused the drive to flash.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #254 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These devices, while physically identical (for all intents and purposes) employ different firmware and software versions which can be found via the menu. Thus, when asking if 'a box' does this or that, the answer is almost invariably "maybe" if the HW an SW version is not specified.

In my experience, the power supply on the motherboard appears to fail first and foremost. Initially re-booting spontaneously with increasing frequency and finally simply refusing to start and boot.

A contributor to this 'thread?' has modified a unit to work off his car battery and included details sufficient to allow restoring a unit using an external 12VDC power source. Not sure how to find his posts - but thy were 'years ago' as best I can recall.

If there is a way to upgrade the software version on one of these, I've yet to find it/how.

I've three of these working at the moment and at least one dead one.

I only buy them from a vendor to which I might easily return defective units as there appear to be more of those than not - esp the 'refurbished' units offered.

I am not sure if the data format they employ is 'generic.' I see two files (when looking at recordings on the HD via my PC) for each program recorded. I would like to find a program that would enable converting a program/recording to a file format so I might turn them into/record them onto a DVD for playback n a DVD Player.

As has been said, there appear to be incarnations of this device under a variety of 'brand' names. I've not bought one of these 'competitors' to see if they might play back recordings made on an Ematic, for instance. If anyone has done this experiment - love to hear/read the results.

Just searched for Ematic +"Power Supply" nd could not / did not find the one about converting PS to run off car (12VDC battery) power.

Last edited by EmaticUser; 08-11-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Add results of search
post #255 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmaticUser View Post
If there is a way to upgrade the software version on one of these, I've yet to find it/how.
There is - Menu / System / Software Update - but AFAIK, eMatic has never released a firmware update for any of these. Without new firmware to install, the update option is useless.
Quote:
As has been said, there appear to be incarnations of this device under a variety of 'brand' names.
Around 2015 IIRC, eMatics were sold with a particularly buggy firmware version. Out of desperation, I helped the owner of one of these boxes try a "cross-flash:" updating his eMatic firmware with firmware for a different box brand (HomeWorx). The first firmware version he tried, v2.1 for the HW-150, failed; it didn't brick the eMatic, but it disabled the tuner, so it was only good for playing back shows he'd already recorded. Later, I convinced him to try a later version (v5.1 I think), and got lucky: it re-enabled the tuner. The only ill effect was that the eMatic remote no longer worked; he has to use his HomeWorx remote.
Quote:
I am not sure if the data format they employ is 'generic.'
It is; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts.
Quote:
I see two files (when looking at recordings on the HD via my PC) for each program recorded.
The .mts.meta files the eMatic also creates can be ignored.
Quote:
I would like to find a program that would enable converting a program/recording to a file format so I might turn them into/record them onto a DVD for playback n a DVD Player.
I recommend DVDStyler (freeware). DVDs require a rather oddball file structure that's hard to create manually, so it's best to use a program like DVDStyler to do the "heavy lifting" for you.
Quote:
I've not bought one of these 'competitors' to see if they might play back recordings made on an Ematic, for instance. If anyone has done this experiment - love to hear/read the results.
Recordings are cross-compatible as long as they were made on boxes with the same chip. The oldest boxes used a 7816 chip; newer boxes use a 7802. Recordings made on a 7816 box won't play on a 7802 box or vice versa.
post #256 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is - Menu / System / Software Update - but AFAIK, eMatic has never released a firmware update for any of these. Without new firmware to install, the update option is useless.
I couple posts back I listed a bunch of issues and improvements that I found with the eMatic, some of which were addressed by other makes. I emailed that list to their support desk and was told that they would forward it to their engineers in China. I also asked them to make firmware updates available on their website, to which they said that they'd would do once it becomes available. (Yeah right). It seems that if you buy a recently manufactured eMatic AT103B, you are more likely to get a newer firmware version. Why they don't release the upgrade file for existing units is beyond me. Perhaps this encourages consumers to buy another unit, yielding in more profit. Or perhaps they don't want users bricking the unit. Either way, the software update option might as well be removed.

post #257 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's probably because of the 2015 chip change. If you put 7802 firmware on a 7816 box or vice versa you'll brick it. There may have been other hardware changes along the way too.

I would think it'd be simple to check whether the firmware you're trying to load is compatible with the box you're trying to put it on, eliminating the risk, but that idea seems to have eluded the firmware coders. The update routine will install pretty much any firmware on any box. That's a blessing for "experimenters" like me, but a curse for manufacturers who don't want returned boxes.
post #258 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
There is - Menu / System / Software Update - but AFAIK, eMatic has never released a firmware update for any of these. Without new firmware to install, the update option is useless.Around 2015 IIRC, eMatics were sold with a particularly buggy firmware version. Out of desperation, I helped the owner of one of these boxes try a "cross-flash:" updating his eMatic firmware with firmware for a different box brand (HomeWorx). The first firmware version he tried, v2.1 for the HW-150, failed; it didn't brick the eMatic, but it disabled the tuner, so it was only good for playing back shows he'd already recorded. Later, I convinced him to try a later version (v5.1 I think), and got lucky: it re-enabled the tuner. The only ill effect was that the eMatic remote no longer worked; he has to use his HomeWorx remote.It is; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts.The .mts.meta files the eMatic also creates can be ignored.I recommend DVDStyler (freeware). DVDs require a rather oddball file structure that's hard to create manually, so it's best to use a program like DVDStyler to do the "heavy lifting" for you.Recordings are cross-compatible as long as they were made on boxes with the same chip. The oldest boxes used a 7816 chip; newer boxes use a 7802. Recordings made on a 7816 box won't play on a 7802 box or vice versa.
"Without new firmware to install, the update option is useless."

Yes, that was what I was talking about. I realized the menu option provided for an upgrade that simply was not available.

I do appreciate the fulsome response to my post.

Do you have any idea of a way to bypass the power supply once it fails? I've at least one unit with a bad cap (I suspect) and thought employing a brick / wall wart might do in a pinch.

I tried locating the original post by that fellow who converted an Ematic for use in his vehicle - never found it.

Again, thanks for the detailed responses.
post #259 of 288 Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think this is the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathereagle View Post
It's super easy to convert. I've run it off a 1.5 amp adapter with a flash drive, and a 2.1 amp adapter with a USB HDD powered off it as well.

Edit: I’ve also run it off the usb of the tv it was connected to for testing before I installed it in the car.
There are pics at the original post, but they aren't that helpful. But it sounds to me like it runs off 5V like several other models of these boxes.

Rather than trying to solder a power cable to the circuit board as the OP did, it might be easier to just power the thing through the USB port using a "Y" cable.
post #260 of 288 Old 08-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I am not sure if the data format they employ is 'generic.' I see two files (when looking at recordings on the HD via my PC) for each program recorded. I would like to find a program that would enable converting a program/recording to a file format so I might turn them into/record them onto a DVD for playback n a DVD Player.
I've been using Free Opensource Handbrake for many years.
TONS of different file formats and codecs and bit rate settings....
https://handbrake.fr/

Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #261 of 288 Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
I've been using Free Opensource Handbrake for many years.
TONS of different file formats and codecs and bit rate settings....
https://handbrake.fr/
"using Free Opensource Handbrake"

Thanks for sharing that. However, the information I found said HB does not allow you to make a DVD out of the files converted using HB - but requires another program for that task.

Having 'every CODEC' is a blessing for some and a curse for amateurs like me. Too many choices!

Do you convert Ematic Recordings to DVDs for playback on everyday DVD players?

If so, I'd appreciate reading how you do it and with which tools/apps.

Thanks again.
post #262 of 288 Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Was about to order another Ematic AT103B @ $36.09 from Walmart when I thought to ask "Is there a better choice for the money?"

Over the years I've read this and that about this one and that one without seeing much by way of a serious comparison supporting one over the others.

Thought to ask if you would recommend one to a fella who has been through five or so Ematic AT103B's and has two functioning and two - not so much.

Thanks
post #263 of 288 Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you convert Ematic Recordings to DVDs for playback on everyday DVD players?

If so, I'd appreciate reading how you do it and with which tools/apps.

Thanks again.
As you read, Handbrake isn't suitable for creating DVDs. Handbrake creates MPEG-4 files; DVDs use MPEG-2. MPEG-4 files are much smaller, but a DVD player won't necessarily understand them.

Nevertheless, you can convert eMatic recordings to play back on everyday DVD players. I've done it with the free program DVDStyler: https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/. As it happens, OTA television uses MPEG-2 encoding, same as DVDs; but "authoring" a DVD isn't a simple task without a tool like DVDStyler.

Under the covers, DVDStyler uses other free tools to handle all the picky details, such as downscaling HD video to SD, converting the .mts MPEG-2 "transport" streams received by your antenna and tuned by your eMatic into .vob MPEG-2 "program" streams suitable for a DVD player; creating the menus and indexes that tell the DVD player where each show starts and ends within the .vob files, creating the proper DVD directory structure, and writing the whole shebang either to a DVD, or to an .iso file from which you can burn DVDs later.
post #264 of 288 Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
As you read, Handbrake isn't suitable for creating DVDs. Handbrake creates MPEG-4 files; DVDs use MPEG-2. MPEG-4 files are much smaller, but a DVD player won't necessarily understand them.

Nevertheless, you can convert eMatic recordings to play back on everyday DVD players. I've done it with the free program DVDStyler: https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/. As it happens, OTA television uses MPEG-2 encoding, same as DVDs; but "authoring" a DVD isn't a simple task without a tool like DVDStyler.

Under the covers, DVDStyler uses other free tools to handle all the picky details, such as downscaling HD video to SD, converting the .mts MPEG-2 "transport" streams received by your antenna and tuned by your eMatic into .vob MPEG-2 "program" streams suitable for a DVD player; creating the menus and indexes that tell the DVD player where each show starts and ends within the .vob files, creating the proper DVD directory structure, and writing the whole shebang either to a DVD, or to an .iso file from which you can burn DVDs later.

My apologies... I thought it did.
But then again I don't really use nor have the room for DVDs anymore.
They tend to get scratched or dirty, plus with the low price of large USB thumb drives, it's faster and more compatible to use the Ematic AT103B, BluRay, or Roku devices to play content from a USB drive. (I use an old 500GB SATA drive)

Which leads me to another question, which I'll post separately...

post #265 of 288 Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 AM

USB Video and CC/Subtitles?

Has anyone ever tried playing a downloadable movie etc.. on these boxes?

Everything I play displays a French subtitle with a beige rectangle background.

I have CC turned Off on the tuner and there are No Subtitle settings on this box.
Audio button only displays the current audio format.

My Sony BluRay and Roku don't always decode audio because of some licensing crap with the codecs...
But the Ematic seems to work pretty good, if we can watch around this large French subtitle box...

post #266 of 288 Old 08-15-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
My apologies... I thought it did. But then again I don't really use nor have the room for DVDs anymore.

They tend to get scratched or dirty, plus with the low price of large USB thumb drives, it's faster and more compatible to use the Ematic AT103B, Blu-Ray, or Roku devices to play content from a USB drive.
For compressing video files for storage on portable drives, Handbrake is the best! I use it myself - just not to make DVDs.
post #267 of 288 Old 08-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Here it is. Not sure if there is a new version available.
FYI Mine says 2/17/2017 Software Date and ABL7802-R836A Hardware. And, I've had it a couple of years. Today is 8/16/2019
post #268 of 288 Old 08-16-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FYI Mine says 2/17/2017 Software Date and ABL7802-R836A Hardware. And, I've had it a couple of years. Today is 8/16/2019
Mine is the same version. However, someone a few pages back claimed that their software was even newer.

post #269 of 288 Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Had to bite the bullet and buy another AT103B tonight. Walmart $39.98 before sales tax.

Went to check the SW and Hardware and found it was not an AT103B but an AT103C!

Model: AT103C
SW Versionec 21 2018-17:17:19
HW Version:ABL7802-R36A

Thought to post these details here to help other owners.

BT THE WAY, when it did the channel search, it (as with all the others I've owned) did not find any Radio channels.

Curious to learn if ANYONE has found a radio channel.

Also, where is the SW?

And, is the ABL7802-R36A chio the one they have been using for years or does it appear to be a new version of the 7802 chip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT103C 190826.gif
Views:	22
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2607654  
post #270 of 288 Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Had to bite the bullet and buy another AT103B tonight. Walmart $39.98 before sales tax.

Went to check the SW and Hardware and found it was not an AT103B but an AT103C!

Model: AT103C
SW Version: Dec 21 2018-17:17:19
HW Version: ABL7802-R36A

Thought to post these details here to help other owners.

BT THE WAY, when it did the channel search, it (as with all the others I've owned) did not find any Radio channels.

Curious to learn if ANYONE has found a radio channel.

Also, where is the SW?

And, is the ABL7802-R36A chip the one they have been using for years or does it appear to be a new version of the 7802 chip?
"Radio" channels are rare, and the newest firmware for these boxes doesn't seem to use them anymore anyway. (So you'd think they'd eliminate them from the menus, wouldn't you?)

At various times, my market (DFW) has had a few "radio" channels. They were actually audio-only channels broadcast by TV stations with no accompanying video.

At present, DFW doesn't have any of those left. But when we did, I found that different firmware versions would handle them differently: some of the older firmware would classify them as "radio" channels, and even had a cute "screen saver" animation when you tuned to them; but newer firmware just classified them as TV channels, and would just display "no program" when you tuned to them (but it would still play the audio).

Check that HW version. I suspect it's actually ABL7802-R836A; even if it's not, it's most likely a typo in the firmware.

7802 is the CPU chip; R836 is the tuner chip. (The R836 is a small chip located within an RF shield.) There's also a flash ROM chip where the firmware is stored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page