Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 168Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 1167 Old 12-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@meb577 (Re: post #359 ):

I don't remember an option to set a title on the recording schedule itself. The only option I recall is the ability to assign a schedule to a specific folder. I'll have to confirm this when I get home tonight.

For the resulting recordings from each schedule, the unit has been automatically titling them based on the program info being broadcast by the station/network. That is what makes starting the recording as close to on time as possible important. Since the new 868 unit is actually able to automatically pull time from the broadcast info, we have found that we can start the recording on the scheduled start time and get both the beginning of the show and the correct title information. We now just pad on the back end to address any potential program delays.

It does transfer the title information from the individual recordings to the DVD when dubbing.
@qz3fwd (Re: post #360 ):

The menu navigation seems reasonable to me, but I haven't really been timing it. All I know is that it kicks my Roku's butt in the responsiveness department at the moment ;-)

The key thing to note is that it no longer uses the multiple thumbnail display for navigating titles. Take a look at page 36 in the manual for an example of what the title list looks like now. You only get one active thumbnail with program details on the left, and a vertical title list to scroll up and down through on the right. This is why having different folders for each show is very helpful.



Last edited by solgato62; 12-19-2015 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding title list image:
solgato62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1167 Old 12-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Another "heads up" when dubbing to DVD:

Not only is the dubbing to DVD done in real time, but the unit blocks access to the title list while dubbing. This makes the long dub time especially painful as your only viewing option at that point is live TV.

Since I wasn't really planning on offloading much content off of this recorder, it doesn't bother me too much. In a way, it is a blessing in disguise as I found out my wife was planning on offloading all of her soaps, and this definitely throws a monkey-wrench into those plans (like I really wanted hours of D[r]OOL on my Plex server)

For those looking at this unit as a way of being able to get access to raw HD content, you would be better served with a combination of a PC running MythTV and an HDHomeRun network-attached dual tuner.
solgato62 is offline  
post #363 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is such helpful info, thank you! Could you clarify something about the dual tuners? If there's only one 'antenna' input, I assume that OTA signal would =the CHANNEL selected using the remote, and switching to L1 or L2 inputs would bring in the cable feed or other Aux content? If one (OTA or cable) is already recording, then the machine automatically would use the alt tuner because the other one is in use?) Do you have to run an initial channel scan on both tuners even tho' there's only one antenna input? I don't know why this is confusing me, but I guess I'm just not accustomed to having two tuners.

The editing sounds clunky. DVD recording in real time could become annoying, but I suppose it would be ok for making unattended or "overnight" copies. I'm wondering if you could copy from HDD to a USB stick as quickly as you can copy to external HD? If so, then you might be able to use the USB stick in the L3 of the old recorder (????) and then burn to DVD using the older machine's high speed dub . (I"ve never tried the L3 for anything other than still images, so not sure it will actually play recorded video that way)

The convenience of large HD and external drives are tempting. The wifi streaming feature sounds interesting, too. Glad to hear it works well. I'm still deliberating between picking up a 557 that would be more familiar, and an 868, but I'm leaning towards the bigger internal drive, despite some new inconveniences.

I think this will work: I was planning to daisy chain an antenna signal in to old maggie, out to the 868, then out to tv's antenna in; use the L1 for cable box input, and L2 to feed in content from my old filled up maggie when we want to view that. The different menu systems might be a 'feature' when flipping between an old and new machines -- I currently have a couple of old ones on an HDMI switcher and I can never tell which is which, so having different style menus might be an improvement ( the older machine would retain it's thumbnail view). A vertical menu for 2 tb of info seems a little unwieldly, but I suppose the folders will help.

Last edited by artwire; 12-19-2015 at 11:21 AM.
artwire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
External dock?

Another idea I've been toying with .. Considering an eSATA/USB dock in order to pull some old drives from various earlier machines and consolidate the content. Thinking this would be a faster way to transfer the recordings. Would each disc inserted in the dock need to be registered individually, or would the dock itself be considered the "disc"? I'm guessing the former. Some of those old drives are only 160, so I could just register, transfer, and unregister, I suppose.

does this magnavox 868 have a usb 3 or 2 bus? 3.0 would be best for other purposes, since it would be fast and down convert as needed, but curious which type the Mag has. Anyone know?
artwire is offline  
post #365 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
Another idea I've been toying with .. Considering an eSATA/USB dock in order to pull some old drives from various earlier machines and consolidate the content. Thinking this would be a faster way to transfer the recordings. Would each disc inserted in the dock need to be registered individually, or would the dock itself be considered the "disc"? I'm guessing the former. Some of those old drives are only 160, so I could just register, transfer, and unregister, I suppose.

does this magnavox 868 have a usb 3 or 2 bus? 3.0 would be best for other purposes, since it would be fast and down convert as needed, but curious which type the Mag has. Anyone know?
I was under the impression that the drives' contents would be lost if you register them?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #366 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
This is such helpful info, thank you! Could you clarify something about the dual tuners? If there's only one 'antenna' input, I assume that OTA signal would =the CHANNEL selected using the remote, and switching to L1 or L2 inputs would bring in the cable feed or other Aux content? If one (OTA or cable) is already recording, then the machine automatically would use the alt tuner because the other one is in use?) Do you have to run an initial channel scan on both tuners even tho' there's only one antenna input? I don't know why this is confusing me, but I guess I'm just not accustomed to having two tuners.
A single channel scan works fine. The tuners share the antenna input. If you have more than one recording happening at once, you will see them tagged as Rec-1 and Rec-2 to indicate the tuners being used. It all seems to be automatic: The unit will automatically switch to tuner 2 if the first tuner is already tied up with a recording. You are correct that switching to L1 or L2 would bring in whatever was connected to back or front video connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
The editing sounds clunky. DVD recording in real time could become annoying, but I suppose it would be ok for making unattended or "overnight" copies. I'm wondering if you could copy from HDD to a USB stick as quickly as you can copy to external HD? If so, then you might be able to use the USB stick in the L3 of the old recorder (????) and then burn to DVD using the older machine's high speed dub . (I"ve never tried the L3 for anything other than still images, so not sure it will actually play recorded video that way)
A USB stick would be seen by the unit as an external drive, and would need to be registered. I don't think the old unit would recognize it.
solgato62 is offline  
post #367 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
Another idea I've been toying with .. Considering an eSATA/USB dock in order to pull some old drives from various earlier machines and consolidate the content. Thinking this would be a faster way to transfer the recordings. Would each disc inserted in the dock need to be registered individually, or would the dock itself be considered the "disc"? I'm guessing the former. Some of those old drives are only 160, so I could just register, transfer, and unregister, I suppose.

does this magnavox 868 have a usb 3 or 2 bus? 3.0 would be best for other purposes, since it would be fast and down convert as needed, but curious which type the Mag has. Anyone know?
cc_in_oh is correct. If you unregister a drive, you lose access to the content previously copied to it. The unit sees past the dock, so each individual drive takes up a registration slot.

As for USB 2 vs 3: They appear to be rather coy about this information. I have not been able to find anything definitive. All of the docks I have attached so far have been USB 3.0 based, and a test backup of everything recorded so far seemed to transfer reasonably fast to an external 3TB drive.
solgato62 is offline  
post #368 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,374
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
As for USB 2 vs 3: They appear to be rather coy about this information. I have not been able to find anything definitive.
USB ports should be color coded. Black is USB 2 and blue is USB 3.
Ken.F is offline  
post #369 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
USB ports should be color coded. Black is USB 2 and blue is USB 3.
From Wiki:

"USB ports and connectors are often color-coded to distinguish their different functions and USB versions. These colors are not part of the USB specification and can vary between manufacturers; for example, USB 3.0 specification mandates appropriate color-coding while it only recommends blue inserts for standard-A USB 3.0 connectors and plugs."
7558037 is offline  
post #370 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,374
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
"USB ports and connectors are often color-coded to distinguish their different functions and USB versions.
Good point. I did said they should be color coded, not are color coded.
Ken.F is offline  
post #371 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
cc_in_oh is correct. If you unregister a drive, you lose access to the content previously copied to it. The unit sees past the dock, so each individual drive takes up a registration slot.
Thanks to you both for clarifying. I realized unregistering a drive would make the content inaccessible to that machine -- but now it sounds like the process of REGISTERING it also erases all existing content (like re-formatting a hard drive?) If so, then you could recycle old drives and use them to record onto (by registering them), as long as you are willing to lose whatever content is already recorded on them. And that process would render them useless if re-inserted into the original recorders (as they'd need to be reformatted for the 500 model)

I've been finding it hard to wrap my head around the many roadblocks they've put into this new,"improved" 800-line. Despite the attraction of the external hard drive option, The 868 would be ideal for capturing large amounts of "record to view later," content but perhaps not such a great choice for stuff you might want to save or archive. Sad to say, for my purposes, I'm beginning to think I might be better off sticking with the 500-series, despite its (recent) faults.

Thanks for all the guidance.
artwire is offline  
post #372 of 1167 Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
Thanks to you both for clarifying. I realized unregistering a drive would make the content inaccessible to that machine -- but now it sounds like the process of REGISTERING it also erases all existing content (like re-formatting a hard drive?) If so, then you could recycle old drives and use them to record onto (by registering them), as long as you are willing to lose whatever content is already recorded on them. And that process would render them useless if re-inserted into the original recorders (as they'd need to be reformatted for the 500 model)

I've been finding it hard to wrap my head around the many roadblocks they've put into this new,"improved" 800-line. Despite the attraction of the external hard drive option, The 868 would be ideal for capturing large amounts of "record to view later," content but perhaps not such a great choice for stuff you might want to save or archive. Sad to say, for my purposes, I'm beginning to think I might be better off sticking with the 500-series, despite its (recent) faults.

Thanks for all the guidance.
From what's been posted here, a drive can be unregistered without erasing since it can be done without being attached (e.g. to free up the registration slot from a crashed disk). But it can't be read by any device except the one it was registered on. If registration didn't erase contents a drive's content could be migrated to a different unit...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #373 of 1167 Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Newbie
 
vivwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Connections with Charter MDR867

I'm a senior citizen and a novice at all this, so I have many questions and hope some one can help me. I bought the Magnavox 867 after reading wajo's review at Walmart, and his articles here.
I was trying to replace my old Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder just to copy shows from my TV that I miss.
From reading other articles, reviews at other sites, this M867 will not work well with Charter nor program all the channels. Is this true? Does it only do 2 digit channels?

I've read so many different articles on hooking up, that I'm not even sure in what order to connect my components, and the cable. The manual is so dense.
I have a Charter SET TOP BOX (no DVR) w/ 1-HDMI - A/V plugs etc. --- Samsung Smart TV w/ 2 - HDMI- A/V plugs , USB, Ethernet . --- and the, MDR 867

Hoping for a response, otherwise will probably be returning the MDR 867.
vivwin is offline  
post #374 of 1167 Old 12-20-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivwin View Post
I'm a senior citizen and a novice at all this, so I have many questions and hope some one can help me. I bought the Magnavox 867 after reading wajo's review at Walmart, and his articles here.
I was trying to replace my old Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder just to copy shows from my TV that I miss.
From reading other articles, reviews at other sites, this M867 will not work well with Charter nor program all the channels. Is this true? Does it only do 2 digit channels?

I've read so many different articles on hooking up, that I'm not even sure in what order to connect my components, and the cable. The manual is so dense.
I have a Charter SET TOP BOX (no DVR) w/ 1-HDMI - A/V plugs etc. --- Samsung Smart TV w/ 2 - HDMI- A/V plugs , USB, Ethernet . --- and the, MDR 867

Hoping for a response, otherwise will probably be returning the MDR 867.
I can't imagine that it only does 2-digit channels - even my old 2160A can record TWC's unscrambled WGN on 118.55...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #375 of 1167 Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivwin View Post
I'm a senior citizen and a novice at all this, so I have many questions and hope some one can help me. I bought the Magnavox 867 after reading wajo's review at Walmart, and his articles here.
I was trying to replace my old Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder just to copy shows from my TV that I miss.
From reading other articles, reviews at other sites, this M867 will not work well with Charter nor program all the channels. Is this true? Does it only do 2 digit channels?

I've read so many different articles on hooking up, that I'm not even sure in what order to connect my components, and the cable. The manual is so dense.
I have a Charter SET TOP BOX (no DVR) w/ 1-HDMI - A/V plugs etc. --- Samsung Smart TV w/ 2 - HDMI- A/V plugs , USB, Ethernet . --- and the, MDR 867

Hoping for a response, otherwise will probably be returning the MDR 867.
It's not that the 867 will only do 2 digital channels (it will handle UHF, VHF, and Cable channels using the ATSC standard), it's that your set top box is most likely decoding Charter proprietary channels. From what I'm able to find, it looks like Charter has followed in Comcast's footsteps and is encrypting even the standard over-the-air channels.

If your old Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder is still able to tune in and decode individual channels directly from Charter, I would expect the 867 to be able to do the same. Otherwise, if you are stuck using the set top box from Charter, then I suspect your only option is using the L1/L2 standard video connections (which would limit you to SD recordings and make the HD aspect of the new unit rather pointless).

It would help to know how you currently have your Panasonic hooked up, and if it is able to tune to various different channels on its own.
solgato62 is offline  
post #376 of 1167 Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
If your old Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder is still able to tune in and decode individual channels directly from Charter, I would expect the 867 to be able to do the same. Otherwise, if you are stuck using the set top box from Charter, then I suspect your only option is using the L1/L2 standard video connections (which would limit you to SD recordings and make the HD aspect of the new unit rather pointless).
The HD part is pretty pointless for us cable box users, but it seems to be the only machine available (the 557 appears to have gone the way of the dodo, unless you're willing to pay scalpers' prices) so... the 867 'should' work. Just connect the outgoing Red + White (audio) and yellow video cables to the back (or you could use svideo cable in the front input ) of the unit and set the 867 to record from that source (L1 or L2) -- that is, whatever channel you've selected on the cable box. I held on to an old model cable box from Comcast, since it still allows me to set timer recordings (it doesn't actually record, but it changes the channel for you when the time comes). That makes unattended recordings on the magnavox with cable input a lot easier. Check to see if your Charter box has that 'record program' option -- you wont be recording with the charter box, but at least you wont have to manually change channels every time you want to schedule a program recorded to the magnavox.

You may want to consider using an antenna for the magnavox as well as the cable input - that way you can watch an over the air program while you are recording a show from the Charter box as well. I think the documentation (and user commentary) regarding these new maggies could be confusing -- people saying it can only record over the air actually mean it can only record HIGH DEF over the air - the L1 and L2 (back and front) inputs will take video from another source (like a cable box or a different recorder). WHen they say it will only take the two digit channels, I think they were referring to the internal tuner of the magnavox (not the line input capability) It should work (assuming you can get a signal out of the Charter box via something other than HDMI -- the magnavox needs a standard video out, but I think you mentioned you have that AV option. You can simultaneously send the HDMI output from cable box directly in to the tv to give yourself additional viewing options. I always like to connect an antenna, too -- just in case the cable goes out.) The only painful part of the cable box is that you have to use yet another remote, and you can only view that channel to which the cable box is set. If you have that programming feature I mentioned earlier, you can at least set multiple unattended timer recordings on different (cable box) channels.If you add the over the air antenna input, that would also give you the option to record network shows, even tho the cable box is set for a different channel (you would simply switch between the internal tuner channel and the L1 (or L2) source when setting the recording.

My suggestion would be to leave theA/V cables coming out of the cable box as is, and disconnect the Panasonic inputs. Then plug into the magnavox inputs. (L1 is the back, L2 is the front - at least it used to be!) and see if that works. That way , you only have to deal with plugs in one direction! I just stack them on top of each other (temporarily) and unplug the old, plug in the new. It's much less confusing that way. Since it already works (out), why take a chance that you wont put it back the same way -- it minimizes the possibility of errors.

Last edited by artwire; 12-20-2015 at 05:41 PM.
artwire is offline  
post #377 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Newbie
 
vivwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
It's not that the 867 will only do 2 digital channels (it will handle UHF, VHF, and Cable channels using the ATSC standard), it's that your set top box is most likely decoding Charter proprietary channels. From what I'm able to find, it looks like Charter has followed in Comcast's footsteps and is encrypting even the standard over-the-air channels.

If your old Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder is still able to tune in and decode individual channels directly from Charter, I would expect the 867 to be able to do the same. Otherwise, if you are stuck using the set top box from Charter, then I suspect your only option is using the L1/L2 standard video connections (which would limit you to SD recordings and make the HD aspect of the new unit rather pointless).

It would help to know how you currently have your Panasonic hooked up, and if it is able to tune to various different channels on its own.
I don't have my old Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder anymore it was connected to Directv satellite.
vivwin is offline  
post #378 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
vivwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry, but I don't have the Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder anymore .
When I had my Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder it was connected to Directv satellite. Don't remember how installer hooked it up for me.

Switched to Charter this fall, didn't want to pay monthly for their dvr.
I thought I could use the the Magnavox 867 for recording.
vivwin is offline  
post #379 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@vivwin : If you tell us what model of digital receiver you have from Charter, I'm sure that one of us can easily confirm the ideal connection to use to attach it to your new recorder. Artwire's recommendation to also hook up an HD antenna to the unit is a good one if you are in an area with reasonable local station signal strength.
solgato62 is offline  
post #380 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
It's not that the 867 will only do 2 digital channels (it will handle UHF, VHF, and Cable channels using the ATSC standard), it's that your set top box is most likely decoding Charter proprietary channels. From what I'm able to find, it looks like Charter has followed in Comcast's footsteps and is encrypting even the standard over-the-air channels.

If your old Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder is still able to tune in and decode individual channels directly from Charter, I would expect the 867 to be able to do the same. Otherwise, if you are stuck using the set top box from Charter, then I suspect your only option is using the L1/L2 standard video connections (which would limit you to SD recordings and make the HD aspect of the new unit rather pointless).

It would help to know how you currently have your Panasonic hooked up, and if it is able to tune to various different channels on its own.
This maggy very likely does not have ANY analog tuning capability-I think somewhere in the manual it even states this.
If charter is encrypting even basic cable then that means the maggy is essentially USELESS as it cannot tune ANY channels.
I only has an OTA/Clear QAM tuner so broadcast channels connected to an antenna are all that is guaranteed to be tuneable on this device-nothing more.
qz3fwd is offline  
post #381 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
This maggy very likely does not have ANY analog tuning capability-I think somewhere in the manual it even states this.
If charter is encrypting even basic cable then that means the maggy is essentially USELESS as it cannot tune ANY channels.
I only has an OTA/Clear QAM tuner so broadcast channels connected to an antenna are all that is guaranteed to be tuneable on this device-nothing more.
if charter is encrypting basic cable then Viv will have to use a cable box via the L1 or L2 inputs, or she can add an antenna to get the OTA via the build in tuner(s). She's trying to avoid leasing the cable DVR, but I *thought* she said she had a cable box. Maybe I mis-read?

This is pretty much the situation we have with any cable company that has encrypted the local channels -- comcast did it to us a few years ago. Nothing is unscrambled anymore, not even the 'free' local stations. The cable box is the only way to get a signal, but that doesn't mean we can't use these recorders. We just don't use them to tune in the programs, other than the ones coming in OTA via antenna. Not sure how this is any different from the previous models -- you seem to be suggesting this one is worse in this regard, but in reality, no one (well, hardly anyone - I guess there are a few low power local stations) is broadcasting an analog signal any more, and cable QAM has been gone for years, at least around here. Speaking of tuners, I'm still amazed at the way they made us rush out to buy new "digital TVs" and then just as quickly made those internal tuners totally obsolete by scrambling the channels anyway. ( Admittedly, the tv tuner still come in handy for watching a show while recording something on a different (cable) channel, and of course, when the cable dies.
artwire is offline  
post #382 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivwin View Post
Sorry, but I don't have the Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder anymore .
When I had my Panasonic vhs/dvd recorder it was connected to Directv satellite. Don't remember how installer hooked it up for me.

Switched to Charter this fall, didn't want to pay monthly for their dvr.
I thought I could use the the Magnavox 867 for recording.
No problem, just go out from the cable box, IN to the magnavox (match up the left and right audio + video) You DO have a cable box, right? (they generally provide the first one for free, but tack on a monthly charge for additional boxes). And then you can add an antenna when you get around to it, for some extra over the air flexibility.
artwire is offline  
post #383 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
No problem, just go out from the cable box, IN to the magnavox (match up the left and right audio + video) You DO have a cable box, right? (they generally provide the first one for free, but tack on a monthly charge for additional boxes). And then you can add an antenna when you get around to it, for some extra over the air flexibility.
Keep in mind that the decrypted STB output is not necessarily recordable. Even record-once could be problematic if the OP needs more than simple time-shifting. With TWC I can't record TNT. SyFy is record-once, which makes recording less desirable than just watching the better quality OD. AMC OD is record-once until 4 days after first air date.

Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to provide useful guidance, and of course Charter could change any of it at any time.

I'm inclined to think that if OD doesn't provide enough flexibility then the Charter DVR may be the best alternative (Edit> for time-shifting anyway) despite the higher long-term cost...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 12-21-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add note
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #384 of 1167 Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Keep in mind that the decrypted STB output is not necessarily recordable. Even record-once could be problematic if the OP needs more than simple time-shifting. With TWC I can't record TNT. SyFy is record-once, which makes recording less desirable than just watching the better quality OD. AMC is record-once until 4 days after first air date.

Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to provide useful guidance, and of course Charter could change any of it at any time.

I'm inclined to think that if OD doesn't provide enough flexibility then the Charter DVR may be the best solution, albeit at a higher long-term cost...
Really? Is that happening with the newer model magnavox, or with one of the older recorders? I've encountered a few false flag settings over the years, sometimes triggering an error when trying to record, but when I call the cable company they generally reset things and it goes away.

Are these restrictions established by TWC or by the individual channels? ( I thought comcast was bad, but that's ridiculous ) I have never encountered an AMC recording problem on the old maggie, recorded via L1 cable box, and I often grab their rerun vs recording the first broadcast, but possibly not 4 days later. This all sounds grim. Or are you saying ithe show can be recorded but not duplicated subsequently?

In any case, I'm interested in knowing if this is a cable issue or a crippled hardware issue, and if it's only the new ones, or a problem with the older models, as well. (trying to determine if there will be any surprises beyond the limitations I already am aware of)
artwire is offline  
post #385 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
Really? Is that happening with the newer model magnavox, or with one of the older recorders? I've encountered a few false flag settings over the years, sometimes triggering an error when trying to record, but when I call the cable company they generally reset things and it goes away.

Are these restrictions established by TWC or by the individual channels? ( I thought comcast was bad, but that's ridiculous ) I have never encountered an AMC recording problem on the old maggie, recorded via L1 cable box, and I often grab their rerun vs recording the first broadcast, but possibly not 4 days later. This all sounds grim. Or are you saying ithe show can be recorded but not duplicated subsequently?

In any case, I'm interested in knowing if this is a cable issue or a crippled hardware issue, and if it's only the new ones, or a problem with the older models, as well. (trying to determine if there will be any surprises beyond the limitations I already am aware of)
This is with a 515, but now that you mention it I may be making an invalid assumption in that my Cisco STB doesn't have composite or S-video out so I'm actually recording its component-out and that may make a difference. My recollection is that my former (pre-OD) STB that did have composite had similar restrictions. My older 2160A and 3576 are in a different room from the STB but over the years both have experienced an occasional "accidental" record-once, sometimes just within a commercial so fixed after editing.

Record-once means it won't let you dub to DVD.

Since the restrictions are channel-specific I assume it's not just some arbitrary TWC policy. I tend to give TWC the benefit of the doubt on this since they're still giving me unscrambled and unrestricted digital locals plus 50-ish analog channels including TNT, USA, SyFy, FX, AMC. FX and BBCA also give me unrestricted live and next-day OD access through the STB, so things could be far worse for me.

Re AMC, I'm speaking of OD. I'm not sure if the 4-day policy applies to live - I'll try that sometime. I do know that the TNT and SyFy restrictions apply to both, and the lack of restrictions on BBCA and FX apply to both.

But all I'm really saying is that nothing should be assumed without checking out first, and even then is subject to change at the whim of the providers...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #386 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Newbie
 
vivwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
@vivwin : If you tell us what model of digital receiver you have from Charter, I'm sure that one of us can easily confirm the ideal connection to use to attach it to your new recorder. Artwire's recommendation to also hook up an HD antenna to the unit is a good one if you are in an area with reasonable local station signal strength.
My STB from Charter is a HDD Arris DCX3220e
Rear Panel= Cable in---RF Out---Baseband Audio out L/R---HDMI--Component Video--Composite Video--Digital Audio--USB 2.0 --Ext IR input--Ethernet--power connector

My Samsung Smart TV has --2 HDMI s--USB 2.0--Ethernet Antenna in- 5-AV color connections--Antenna in

I'm sorry, but I think this is getting more complicated to this novice.

I've read the online directions for the STB, the manual for the Samsung TV, and the e Magnavox 867 manual, plus everyone's input and results.

It seems none are the same, and I may be limited in channels and copying . There's no easy fix.
vivwin is offline  
post #387 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cc_in_oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stuck in speed bump city
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivwin View Post
My STB from Charter is a HDD Arris DCX3220e
Rear Panel= Cable in---RF Out---Baseband Audio out L/R---HDMI--Component Video--Composite Video--Digital Audio--USB 2.0 --Ext IR input--Ethernet--power connector

My Samsung Smart TV has --2 HDMI s--USB 2.0--Ethernet Antenna in- 5-AV color connections--Antenna in

I'm sorry, but I think this is getting more complicated to this novice.

I've read the online directions for the STB, the manual for the Samsung TV, and the e Magnavox 867 manual, plus everyone's input and results.

It seems none are the same, and I may be limited in channels and copying . There's no easy fix.
It's most likely true that there is no easy fix, but people here will try to help you figure out what you can and can't do, and the best way to do it, IF you give us enough info, like:

  1. Do you get any unscrambled channels? (feed your cable directly to your TV or 867 and scan channels)
  2. Do you get decent reception of local channels with an antenna?
  3. Are your needs primarily just short-term time-shifting? If so, does your Charter service include any on-demand that could meet some of those needs?
  4. To what extent is SD vs. HD recording quality satisfactory to you?
  5. How important is copying to DVD to you?
  6. Did you rule out the Charter DVR because of cost or because of inability to copy contents?
  7. Do you need ability to watch recordings on more than just the one TV?

I'm sure I've overlooked a few pertinent questions, but the answers to these would go a long way toward narrowing down your options and determining how much use the 867 can be to you...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 12-22-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: hard to read
cc_in_oh is offline  
post #388 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivwin View Post
My STB from Charter is a HDD Arris DCX3220e
Rear Panel= Cable in---RF Out---Baseband Audio out L/R---HDMI--Component Video--Composite Video--Digital Audio--USB 2.0 --Ext IR input--Ethernet--power connector

My Samsung Smart TV has --2 HDMI s--USB 2.0--Ethernet Antenna in- 5-AV color connections--Antenna in

I'm sorry, but I think this is getting more complicated to this novice.

I've read the online directions for the STB, the manual for the Samsung TV, and the e Magnavox 867 manual, plus everyone's input and results.

It seems none are the same, and I may be limited in channels and copying . There's no easy fix.
Thanks. That is indeed a fairly simple STB.

If you decide to keep the MDR867, you would hook the Yellow/White/Red Video and Audio connectors on the back of the DCX3200e to the Y/W/R "IN" connectors on the back of the MDR867. This would potentially allow you to record whatever channel was selected on your STB via the "L1" input on the Magnavox.

The Magnavox and Arris STB would connect to your TV via their own HDMI ports/cables. You would use your TV to switch between them for viewing their HD outputs. If you have the Magnavox HDMI output selected on the TV, you should be able to see what is playing via your STB by choosing "L1" as the input to view on the Magnavox (it will just display the SD output from the STB).

If you live reasonably close to Over-The-Air broadcast signals, you should really hook up an HD antenna to the Magnavox so that you can tune in and record OTA programs in HD. Where I live, I have about 20 different OTA channels to choose from.

Since your Arris STB doesn't appear to have any scheduling features, you would need to manually select the cable channel you wanted to record if there was something you wanted to save on the Magnavox. An HD antenna would let you take advantage of some of the more advanced features of the Magnavox depending on your local broadcast station options.
solgato62 is offline  
post #389 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,990
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgato62 View Post
The Magnavox and Arris STB would connect to your TV via their own HDMI ports/cables. You would use your TV to switch between them for viewing their HD outputs. If you have the Magnavox HDMI output selected on the TV, you should be able to see what is playing via your STB by choosing "L1" as the input to view on the Magnavox (it will just display the SD output from the STB).
Many STB's disable analog outputs when their HDMI output is connected.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #390 of 1167 Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Member
 
solgato62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Many STB's disable analog outputs when their HDMI output is connected.
That's why I asked for a model number. This is not a documented limitation for the Arris/Motorola DCX3220e. If it ends up being an undocumented limitation, it would mean that the viewing option for the STB would be reduced to SD when using the Magnavox
solgato62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off