Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #31 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Like Kelson said, there are too many unanswered questions so far. Add that to the general clunkiness of Funai DVD/HDD recorders in general and the absolute garbage of the last gen Funai HD recorders. I'm going to sit this one out for a while. Many things look good on paper but the devil is in the details.

It does look like the someone finally figured to move little used buttons on the remote away from the center control pad and more than two remote codes are long overdue. It would be nice to see some component inputs to make the units a nice combo SD and HD recorder.
Yes component-in would be a nice upgrade - for scrambled content I go in through my slingbox's composite out while its component-out is unused...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any news yet on where these can be purchased?

Does it look like the HD recordings can be down-rezzed and burned to DVD? Or is the DVD recorder only able to record directly to DVD, and not receive recordings from the hard drive?

Does editing include the ability to do "scene deletes", or can you only divide recordings, delete the inbetween, and then re-join the two files that were on either side of the deleted file?
post #33 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Any news yet on where these can be purchased?

Does it look like the HD recordings can be down-rezzed and burned to DVD? Or is the DVD recorder only able to record directly to DVD, and not receive recordings from the hard drive?

Does editing include the ability to do "scene deletes", or can you only divide recordings, delete the inbetween, and then re-join the two files that were on either side of the deleted file?
PDF Manual (for all 3)

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
...It would be nice to see some component inputs to make the unit a nice combo SD and HD recorder.
+1 for that sentiment...my enthusiasm for these DVDR's flagged a bit when i saw there is no Component input.
Was really hopin' for it,but....

The more i read about these machines the more i get the feeling the DVDR's recording capabilities will be hobbled so badly they won't be worth buying.
Unfortunately the owners manual is vague on some points and doesn't even address other points of interest to me.

I'll be waiting to read some user reviews before i'm willing to buy one of them.

Last edited by greaser; 09-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.
post #35 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
It looks like you are able to burn AVCHD file discs with this machine.

That is only wishful thinking on your part. Just because you want it to, don't mean it will. It's very unlikely that it will be able to burn AVCHD files to discs.
post #36 of 1181 Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Already downloaded it. Haven't been able to figure it out.

If you know the answers, care to at least point me to the correct pages?
post #37 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Already downloaded it. Haven't been able to figure it out.

If you know the answers, care to at least point me to the correct pages?
Dubbing to DVD looks pretty much the same as before except no mention of high-speed so that may be gone.

I think the speculation about scene deletion already posted above pretty much covers what we know/don't know...

CC

post #38 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Dubbing to DVD looks pretty much the same as before except no mention of high-speed so that may be gone.
I think that is the case -- only a single burning mode. If it works the way I think it works based on what is in the manual, then all the content being recorded to the HDD is encoded to H.264 as it comes in. Burning to DVD is done as SD DVD-Video which means down-rezzing resolution to 480i and re-coding the H.264 to MPEG-2 in one of the 5 standard DVDR quality settings (HQ, SP, LP, EP, SLP) depending on how much you want to fit on a DVD-R.

While there would not be a separate real-time dub vs. HS-dub, there is no indication how long the burn process would be. It is not set in stone that the re-coding operation has to be done in real-time. It could be faster than real-time -or- it could be slower than real-time, depending on the power of the hardware. Based on past performance one would speculate a real-time process. Just another of those unknowns that won't be answered until someone buys one.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #39 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
ABC warehouse will have in stock in about a week. any early takers??
Do they have a liberal return policy?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #40 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If network and portable drives are useless for moving to a PC and DVDRW is still the only option, lack of high speed would be a showstopper for me...

CC

post #41 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Do they have a liberal return policy?
In the FCC statement that was signed by Funai the buyer has 30 days to return if the buyer THINKS these have a analog tuner which they do not have.information data sheet and consumer education materials describing the HDD/DVD recorder’s
functionality; (ii) clearly disclose in product guides that the device lacks the ability to receive
over-the-air analog signals; and (iii) offer a program allowing free 30-day return or exchange if
the customer purchased the device with the mistaken belief that it receives analog services

MickinCT
post #42 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
+1 for that sentiment...my enthusiasm for these DVDR's flagged a bit when i saw there is no Component input.
Was really hopin' for it,but....

The more i read about these machines the more i get the feeling the DVDR's recording capabilities will be hobbled so badly they won't be worth buying.
Unfortunately the owners manual is vague on some points and doesn't even address other points of interest to me.

I'll be waiting to read some user reviews before i'm willing to buy one of them.

It's hard to tell whether Funai is just cost saving or if there is outside pressure from the studios about the components inputs, which is their latest point of attack. Due to the analog sunset, components will only pass SD, no more HD signals. That still would be fine just for the point of extra flexibility with legacy equipment, as well as cable and Sat boxes. But that's a moot point now.
The next problem is what limitations will be on the DVD recorder. The manual already states this will be a copy once recorder, so the DVD burner will not be usable for any flagged HD programming. SD is still up in the air. The long term prospects are even more dismal for all HD recordings since the studios would love to initiate a pay-per-view for everything they broadcast and their employees in Congress are more than happy to make it happen.

I've been an early adopter of most of Funai's recorders, but I'm going to wait for the reviews on this as well.
post #43 of 1181 Old 09-22-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's hard to tell whether Funai is just cost saving or if there is outside pressure from the studios about the components inputs, which is their latest point of attack. Due to the analog sunset, components will only pass SD, no more HD signals. That still would be fine just for the point of extra flexibility with legacy equipment, as well as cable and Sat boxes. But that's a moot point now.
The next problem is what limitations will be on the DVD recorder. The manual already states this will be a copy once recorder, so the DVD burner will not be usable for any flagged HD programming. SD is still up in the air. The long term prospects are even more dismal for all HD recordings since the studios would love to initiate a pay-per-view for everything they broadcast and their employees in Congress are more than happy to make it happen.

I've been an early adopter of most of Funai's recorders, but I'm going to wait for the reviews on this as well.
Is that new? My 515 enforces copy-once even on a lot of TWC's digital SD programs, though not on any of the unscrambled locals and thankfully not on BBCA which I don't have an analog fallback for.

I never did it but I'm under the impression that on the older models you could transfer the HDD to a PC and read it's contents? If so, I assume that would circumvent the protection of any copy-once titles?

CC

post #44 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Yes component-in would be a nice upgrade - for scrambled content I go in through my slingbox's composite out while its component-out is unused...
Strange, the webpage description mentions composite in and out, but looking at pictures of the unit, there are no composite connectors.
post #45 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Latest FUD-less info is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
Strange, the webpage description mentions composite in and out, but looking at pictures of the unit, there are no composite connectors.
The manual shows composite YWR RCA in and out on back (L1), and Composite YWR RCA and S-Video in on front (L2).

Last edited by 7558037; 12-16-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #46 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
page 15 in manual.

MickinCT
post #47 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Sorry. I was thinking component. Was in a hurry to get out the door and getting old is making me lose quick access to some words.
post #48 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Talked to a Mag CSR about the new Rec Modes for HDD/EHDD and what they stood for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RecModes.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	958186

From that discussion, here's what I learned:

DR = DIrect Recording (same quality as broadcast/received)
FHD1 = Full HD 1080i/p
FHD2 = Full HD 720p
HD = HD 720p? (no good explanation of diff. between this and FHD)
SD = SD 480p? (still TBD)

Last edited by 7558037; 12-16-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #49 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry. I was thinking component. Was in a hurry to get out the door and getting old is making me lose quick access to some words.
Where did you see that? The page Wajo linked at the top doesn't mention component or composite, though composite can be inferred from the ability to connect a camcorder...

CC

post #50 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
One would like to think that is the one most likely to be "transport stream" which is as-broadcast. You get ~150hr of transport stream HDTV/TB of HDD space.

However, if you can use that quality setting to record from the L1/L2 analog inputs then it wouldn't be TS recording. Another of those things that will have to wait for someone to buy one.

- kelson h

post #51 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One would like to think that is the one most likely to be "transport stream" which is as-broadcast. You get ~150hr of transport stream HDTV/TB of HDD space.

However, if you can use that quality setting to record from the L1/L2 analog inputs then it wouldn't be TS recording. Another of those things that will have to wait for someone to buy one.
The question is if that DR can be burned to disc in its native form? WAJO any answer from Funai?

MickinCT
post #52 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Talked to a Mag CSR about the new Rec Modes for HDD/EHDD and what they stood for.

Attachment 958186

From that discussion, here's what I learned:

FHD1 = Full HD 1080i/p
FHD2 = Full HD 720p
HD = HD 720p? (no good explanation of diff. between this and FHD)
SD = SD 480p? (still TBD)

FHD1 = Full HD 1080i/p
FHD2 = Full HD 720p
HD = HD 720p? (no good explanation of diff. between this and FHD) THIS COULD MEAN 4:3 aspect hd
SD = SD 480p? (still TBD) THIS COULD MEAN 4:3

MickinCT
post #53 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The question is if that DR can be burned to disc in its native form? WAJO any answer from Funai?
Sorry, I didn't ask that question.

Last edited by 7558037; 12-16-2015 at 07:46 AM.
post #54 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
There is no indication it can burn other than SD to DVD Video. Besides, other than ABC, an hour of network HDTV exceeds the capacity of a DVD-R in native format.

- kelson h

post #55 of 1181 Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully there's a chance that DR will be high-speed - though it would be pretty crappy marketing not to list that as a feature.

Either way, it seems to me Funai could have saved themselves some major headaches by seeking feedback from this forum before finalizing the design...

CC

post #56 of 1181 Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Hopefully there's a chance that DR will be high-speed - though it would be pretty crappy marketing not to list that as a feature.
As I noted, what good will that do you if you can't fit an hour of HDTV on a DVD-R?

The manual is an operational reference. It unfortunately does not explain anything "behind the scenes" but it does explain how to operate the unit. Contained within those sections is nothing that indicates the existence of either HS dubbing or any kind of scene delete editing or the ability to burn other than SD DVD Video. Lack of scene delete editing would be a major omission. One can argue the manual is simply incomplete, consistent with past history. So, it all sits in limbo until someone gets one.

- kelson h

post #57 of 1181 Old 09-24-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I noted, what good will that do you if you can't fit an hour of HDTV on a DVD-R?

The manual is an operational reference. It unfortunately does not explain anything "behind the scenes" but it does explain how to operate the unit. Contained within those sections is nothing that indicates the existence of either HS dubbing or any kind of scene delete editing or the ability to burn other than SD DVD Video. Lack of scene delete editing would be a major omission. One can argue the manual is simply incomplete, consistent with past history. So, it all sits in limbo until someone gets one.
At this point I'm just hoping it doesn't lose any of the "old" features other than analog tuning. If DR does happen to be high-speed, albeit SD-only, and chapter divide + chapter delete = scene editing then it still might be worth a look to replace my old 3576.

Pretty much all of my TWC HD channels are either unrecordable or record-once anyway so HD dubbing wouldn't buy me much...

CC

post #58 of 1181 Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Pretty much all of my TWC HD channels are either unrecordable or record-once anyway so HD dubbing wouldn't buy me much...
So a DVD recorder of any type wouldn't make sense in your situation. Why wouldn't you look at a cable-card DVR instead? 1-time cost is the same.

- kelson h

post #59 of 1181 Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So a DVD recorder of any type wouldn't make sense in your situation. Why wouldn't you look at a cable-card DVR instead? 1-time cost is the same.
I've been recording, dubbing and ripping everything I want for years, just not in HD. I get unscrambled digital for ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, CW, WGN, and a few more minor ones. I can record some scrambled digital channels through the cable box, some like BBCA even on-demand. Not SyFy or TNT though - for the handful of their shows I care about I'm stuck with either unscrambled analog cable or recording from their websites...

CC

post #60 of 1181 Old 09-24-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That link to the ABC Warehouse website isn't working. Keeps bringing me back here.

Anyone got a better link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page